Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#975969 - Thu Apr 04 2013 04:48 AM Quiz Deletion
mask100 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Pakistan
I wanted to know when do we get the ability to delete quizzes?

#975970 - Thu Apr 04 2013 05:21 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I believe it's tied to your submission history, ability to work well with editors, etc, rather than a hard number of quizzes online, but I'm not sure offhand anymore.

If you want to delete because you've decided that the quiz idea you started isn't such a good idea anymore and want to write something else, you can just re-use the template, IF (big "if" here) the quiz has never been seen by an editor. Until that first submission, the template is yours, do what you want with it.

If the quiz has started the editing process, the editors have a stake in it - an editor has put time and effort into that quiz, too. If that is the case, discuss it with your editor - if the two of you decide that deletion is the best option, the editor will delete it for you.

#975977 - Thu Apr 04 2013 06:24 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: agony]
mask100 Offline
Explorer

In other words we can't delete it ourselves even if the editing process hasn't started yet.

#975981 - Thu Apr 04 2013 07:07 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Am I reading this correctly? If a template has no text put into it yet, it can be deleted. Meaning "Nothing can be deleted." But if text has been entered and seen by an editor, it is then something and "Something may not be deleted without editor consent."? Wouldn't the opposite situations also be true? Nothing, since there is no substance to it, cannot be deleted because deletion means to remove that which has substance. The something situation means that by giving editorial approval to delete, that something is turned into nothing which is a deleteable non-thing?

Is there reason to delete Nothing? Hmmm...

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#976005 - Thu Apr 04 2013 09:05 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mehaul]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: mehaul
Am I reading this correctly? If a template has no text put into it yet, it can be deleted. Meaning "Nothing can be deleted." But if text has been entered and seen by an editor, it is then something and "Something may not be deleted without editor consent."? Wouldn't the opposite situations also be true? Nothing, since there is no substance to it, cannot be deleted because deletion means to remove that which has substance. The something situation means that by giving editorial approval to delete, that something is turned into nothing which is a deleteable non-thing?

Is there reason to delete Nothing? Hmmm...

What?

We prefer not simply deleting active templates; please reuse them if you no longer wish to write the quiz. We can always recategorize it.

If it's been edited, please do not delete it.

Nothing complicated about this one.

#976008 - Thu Apr 04 2013 09:14 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           

Originally Posted By: mask100
In other words we can't delete it ourselves even if the editing process hasn't started yet.

correct
Some authors can delete quizzes; most authors can't. This is the message displayed
by the system to authors who cannot delete a quiz; when they hit the delete button.

Quote:
Only our more experienced quiz authors may delete quizzes.

Please work with your editor to complete and get your current quiz online.

#976027 - Thu Apr 04 2013 10:51 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: gtho4]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Quote:

My answer to that would have to be "Why do you want to delete it?" Sometimes deletion is the best next move, usually it isn't.

#976477 - Sat Apr 06 2013 08:57 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: agony]
mask100 Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: agony
Quote:

My answer to that would have to be "Why do you want to delete it?" Sometimes deletion is the best next move, usually it isn't.

I would want to delete a quiz because either I have run out of ideas on what to do with that particular quiz and also not have the guilty feeling that a quiz is left unfinished even though it can't be finished.
Also, Can someone tell me after placing how many quizzes online do we get the ability to finally delete quizzes?

#976485 - Sat Apr 06 2013 09:32 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
I would want to delete a quiz because either I have run out of ideas on what to do with that particular quiz and also not have the guilty feeling that a quiz is left unfinished even though it can't be finished.

Then all you need to do in that instance is delete the content from the template and replace it with new content. There's no need to delete the template itself.

Edited by Snowman (Sat Apr 06 2013 09:33 AM)

#976535 - Sat Apr 06 2013 06:30 PM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Also, Can someone tell me after placing how many quizzes online do we get the ability to finally delete quizzes?

There is no set number. You have to work well with the editing staff to get that capability.

#976537 - Sat Apr 06 2013 07:12 PM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Just want to put this forward: If you are limited in the number of outstanding projects you can have open at a time it may make sense to delete a quiz project that isn't going anywhere so that you can create a new project. For example, there could be an Author Challenge that you simply *must have* and will write quickly, but you are limited to 10 projects, and you already have maxed that out. In that case, it would be wise nonetheless to copy the content of soon-to-be-deleted quiz project into a word-processing document or a text file in order to access it later if you should ever be inspired to write it in the future.

(This would of course only apply to quizzes that have not been sent to an editor).

#976574 - Sun Apr 07 2013 05:25 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Perhaps a term refinement would work in this topic?
How about:
Delete - what you call it when you cancel a template completely;
Erase - what you call it when you remove all the text from a template, but retain the template itself.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#976785 - Mon Apr 08 2013 01:12 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mehaul]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Erase - what you call it when you remove all the text from a template, but retain the template itself.

Yes, your refinement makes sense. But then I did mean delete, because most authors at FT are limited to 10 outstanding projects. To claim a Player Author Challenge requires the creation of a new template. Therefore, you actually have to delete a template to take on a new Author Challenge if you have reached your 10-project limit.

#976795 - Mon Apr 08 2013 02:10 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
That's one of the reasons I don't set up my new quizzes in templates, but write them in Word and transfer them to a template when they are finished. Aside from time pressured writing for Authors Lounge challenges, when I sometimes write straight to the template, but will have it done withing hours. Even if I did prefer to write in a template, I would always keep one free for new ideas.

#976804 - Mon Apr 08 2013 02:41 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: gracious1]
remote9 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Kolkata India
Originally Posted By: gracious1

Yes, your refinement makes sense. But then I did mean delete, because most authors at FT are limited to 10 outstanding projects. To claim a Player Author Challenge requires the creation of a new template. Therefore, you actually have to delete a template to take on a new Author Challenge if you have reached your 10-project limit.

That's exactly right. That is why we should never set up too many templates.

#976827 - Mon Apr 08 2013 07:14 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK 
My personal preference is to have no more than two quizzes on the go at any one time. My mind gets cluttered if there are too many ideas floating around. I feel that I achieve more in the long run by concentrating on one quiz at a time rather than trying to juggle too many options. I don't actually know whether or not I can delete a quiz, because I've never needed to check.

#976835 - Mon Apr 08 2013 08:10 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
Before the restriction was imposed on my quiz writing, I would often have several quizzes pending. I would only work on one at a time. I would have them finished and ready to go as soon as the previous submission was accepted.

#976846 - Mon Apr 08 2013 08:54 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: zippolover]
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: zippolover
Before the restriction was imposed on my quiz writing, I would often have several quizzes pending. I would only work on one at a time. I would have them finished and ready to go as soon as the previous submission was accepted.

This is still doable using the method prescribed by LT above. I know authors with the ability to have unlimited templates who do this simply as a safeguard. You never know, for instance, when you may accidentally back out of a quiz, forget to save, and lose all your work.

#976847 - Mon Apr 08 2013 09:15 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I don't understand why someone would have ten incomplete quizzes on the go and want to add another one?
Why not have a couple on the go until finished and then take on more?
Disclaimer, I haven't written any quizzes, so I have no idea of the passion for writing them. smile

Edited for waffle

Edited by Jabberwok (Mon Apr 08 2013 09:37 AM)

#976849 - Mon Apr 08 2013 09:35 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: Jabberwok]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Quote:

As has been pointed out a couple of times, you can have as many quizzes started as you like if you work on them in Word. I compose all of my quizzes in Word because I am a very poor typist. Word catches a lot of my errors.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#976873 - Mon Apr 08 2013 11:37 AM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I did try writing in Word, but it did not work for me. It is something about a tempting template that draws me in. In Word I waffle too much.

#976880 - Mon Apr 08 2013 12:21 PM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: mask100]
Forum Champion

Waffles are delicious. wink

#976981 - Mon Apr 08 2013 05:43 PM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: kyleisalive]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Waffles are delicious. wink

Kyle, don't tell me you're waffling about waffles! grin

Editor for Movies, Literature and For Children

#976984 - Mon Apr 08 2013 06:27 PM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: LadyCaitriona]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona
Kyle, don't tell me you're waffling about waffles! grin

You ought to try them with chicken!

#977037 - Mon Apr 08 2013 10:56 PM Re: Quiz Deletion [Re: kyleisalive]
mask100 Offline
Explorer

They sure are and thanks for resolving my dilemma people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4