* To encourage others
* To improve yourself

#97605 - Sat Jul 22 2000 11:39 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Camarillo California USA
Great reasons Jo!

------------------
Sandalwood's Cosmic Creations: Working with the magic of love....

#97606 - Sat Jul 22 2000 05:49 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
Anonymous
No longer registered

JoJo - This is the first time I have been in this forum and I'm so glad I came in. Thank you for posting this list, I couldn't have found it at a better time.

I just quit my job and opened my own business the first of July and things are a little slow. I'm not bring much money home and my hubby is becoming concerned about our finances, as am I. Even as we said aloud that it takes time to establish a business, deep down we sort of had unrealistic expectations about immediate success.

I've been feeling guilty because I quit my job, losing that "guaranteed" paycheck and have caused by whole family to have to cut way back on expenses. The last couple of days I've had a really negative outlook on life. However, I've been trying to reason with my self, telling me to have patience, everything will work out.

When I read this list of Reasons to Live Positively, I immediately said, "See there, Carol, this is like a sign, you need to change your attitude."

So again, THANKS!

------------------
Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation...
Edward R. Murrow

#97607 - Sat Jul 22 2000 07:24 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
CarolinaCarol, I am so pleased to find that the tips were useful to you. One of the most exciting and the most frightening times in life is when one goes off on a new adventure such as starting their own business. It's real scary the very first time that you don't pick up that scheduled paycheck.

We are all here for you with lots of tips and tricks on how to be frugal, and I brought up a topic for Small Business Owners. So don't feel guilty, just get into that great entrepreneurial spirit and start you future today. I wish you the very best of luck!

#97608 - Mon Jul 24 2000 10:51 AM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

I do not know if this belong here..but I am going to post it anyway..Let me know Jo if it does or not okay??

Exercise And Revitalize

Feeling good about yourself and your body will help you live each day to its fullest. One of the foundations of feeling good is daily physical activity. Exercise will boost your energy level, making it easier to manage your weight and participate in the activities you enjoy. When you have energy, almost anything seems possible. The benefits of exercise are not limited to physical health;according to a recent study at Duke University, exercise was found to be as effective as antidepressants in treating depression.

------------------

#97609 - Mon Jul 24 2000 11:00 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Sandalwood, I think your tip is an excellant way to stay postive. Thank you for your great tip!

#97610 - Mon Jul 31 2000 10:22 AM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Trying To Find Time For You

Time alone is important for restoration. When you take time to mentally and physically "get away," you'll find you have more energy and renewed enthusiasm for the important everyday things like family and work. Even if you just take a few minutes a day--that's a start. Work in your garden, soak in a bubble bath, or take an early morning walk--finding what you want to do is part of the fun. Relax, reflect, and rejuvenate!

------------------

#97611 - Mon Jul 31 2000 10:24 AM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Take Time To--

-Do what you want to do for once
-Lead, follow, or step aside
-Learn a new language
-Live until you die
-Stop and thank a co-worker for her support
-Send an Emazing Greeting Card to a family member
-Communicate instead of just winning an argument
-Control your emotions
-Play house with your five-year-old
-Think before you jump!

------------------

#97612 - Mon Jul 31 2000 11:45 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
Anonymous
No longer registered

It really is important to stop and take time for yourself.

A Pastor friend of mine once told me to try this...

Exhale, now without inhaling exhale some more, again, again, again...Eventually you'll have no air left to exhale and you have to inhale before you can go on.

Life is the same way if you keep giving and giving and giving without taking, pretty soon you'll have nothing left to give.

------------------
Edward R. Murrow

#97613 - Tue Aug 01 2000 11:40 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

This is wonderful advise CarolinaC...I think we should all learn from it....

------------------

#97614 - Tue Aug 01 2000 02:07 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Rules for Journaling

Journaling is a great way to really learn about yourself. As far as rules are concerned, well, there are none. However, here a few ideas to help you get started:

-Write on any topic you like.
-Make lists of your dreams, goals, and wishes.
-Write poetry.
-Write about your feelings--both negative and positive.
-Write about silly things; daydream in words.
-Write about things that make you laugh and cry.
-Work out an argument with your loved ones on paper.

And remember that your journal is for YOU. Never leave it lying around.

- Cheryl G. MS, Licensed Professional Counselor

------------------

#97615 - Wed Aug 02 2000 10:14 AM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Laugh About It

When was the last time you laughed so hard your stomach hurt? Laughter brightens our days and makes life more enjoyable. It's one of the first forms of communication we learn as infants. Yet so many adults let the trials and tribulations of life get them so down that they lose the simple joy and pleasure of laughter. Besides the emotional benefits, laughter is believed to improve the immune system, lower blood pressure, and combat stress.

Take a moment and think of your favorite cartoon as a child, and the easy out-loud laughter that came when Wile E. Coyote was foiled again by the speedy and clever Road Runner. Sometimes it feels good to retrace our childhood footsteps, and revel in its simplicity again. Giggle, chuckle, smile--and laugh so hard your stomach hurts! It's good for you!

------------------

#97616 - Wed Aug 02 2000 12:39 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Don't worry that your talent won't be adequate to the task. Acutally feeling inadequate to the task you are asked to do seems to be a spiritual prerequisite.

#97617 - Wed Aug 02 2000 10:10 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Healthy Friendship #1

What is a healthy friendship?

If you grew up in a dysfunctional family, this is a very important question to ask yourself. Adults who have grown up in very dysfunctional families often have great fear of being abandoned and rejected, frequently resulting in the need for control in all relationships. This can extend to having high and unrealistic expectations from friendships that are impossible for any friend to meet.

So what's unrealistic? It's unrealistic to expect our friends to know everything about us, and to share the same needs, interests, hopes, and dreams. It's unrealistic to expect our friends to put us first at all times, to feel what we feel, and to believe what we believe. In other words, it is unrealistic to expect our friends to be for us what our parents should have been for us. This simply isn't possible--or healthy.

More tomorrow!

------------------

#97618 - Fri Aug 04 2000 10:28 AM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Healthy Friendships #2

Adults who grew up in very disfunctional families often have unrealistic expectations of what a friend should be. These adults may expect their friends to fill the emotional void that was never filled by their parents.

So what's a friend?

-Friends are here to provide us with companionship so that we are not alone in the world.
-Friends are here so that we can share parts of ourselves with them, helping us validate who we are by having something in common with someone else.
-They act as mirrors, reflecting back to us who we are and how we come across to others.
-Friends meet some of our needs for touch, intellectual stimulation, recreation, emotional security, and spirituality.

We have so many needs that it is impossible to have them met by only one or two people. Tomorrow, I'll deal with this issue: I have lots of needs and only a few friends. Help!

------------------

#97619 - Mon Aug 07 2000 10:57 AM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

On Friday, I defined what makes for a healthy relationship. Today I'll discuss what an emotional friendship is like.

We all have an emotional need for feeling close to and sharing our feelings and deeply personal things about ourselves (hopes, dreams, problems, sorrows, and joys) with others. It's okay to share some personal information with our friends who aren't our most intimate companions (such as our tennis partners). However, we tend to be more comfortable sharing our innermost secrets with our closest friends and our partners. Just remember, it's okay to share a few personal things, but at the same time, don't expect your closest friends to be your "dumping" ground every time you have a problem! You may burn them out!

------------------

#97620 - Wed Aug 09 2000 10:30 AM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

What is the definition of a functional family?

A functional family is one that functions to meet the needs of its family members. That is, each person in the family has his/her basic needs met. Each member feels safe, has food to eat, receives proper medical care, educational opportunities, etc. Each family member in a functional family also feels nurtured and has a sense that s/he "belongs." Each member feels worthy and valued and is treated with dignity. Each member is also allowed to have his or her own individual personality and feelings; gets to make mistakes without being shamed; gets to act silly and have fun; and has his or her own way of practicing his/her individual spirituality.

------------------

#97621 - Thu Aug 10 2000 11:24 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Pity

To feel pity for your caregivers probably means you have been abused by them in some fashion and have not come to terms with forgiving them. We learn to pity parents who:
-Are pitiful
-Won't take care of themselves
-Drag us into their sadness
-Pretend to be helpless
-Manipulate us into taking care of them
-Abuse or neglect themselves or each other
-Have no friends
-Wallow in their emotions
-Embarrass themselves and us in public
-Make us their pals

To pity a caregiver does nothing positive for them or you. Tomorrow I'll discuss the act of "empathy," with reference to our caregivers.

------------------

#97622 - Thu Aug 10 2000 04:03 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

As discussed yesterday, to "pity" your caregivers means they have abused you in some way. You must remember our parents' job was for them to handle their own problems and pain. We are their children. It is not our job to take care of or carry our parents' sadness and pain for them. For them to allow this to happen is a form of emotional abuse to you. However, it is okay to learn to show "empathy."

Empathy is saying, "I can relate to your pain, but I will not get personally involved with your pain." You can care without getting lost in it. You can ask what you can do to help; however, you remain the judge of whether or not to accept or decline their suggestions.

------------------

#97623 - Fri Aug 11 2000 01:09 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
Anonymous
No longer registered

Sandlewood...This is great stuff. Thank-you!

------------------
Edward R. Murrow

#97624 - Fri Aug 11 2000 09:02 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Most welcome Carolina!! And here is more!!

Acceptance
How do I just learn to accept me?

What a beautiful thought -- to just "accept" you without condition! Sometimes we are too busy rushing around that we do not take the time simply to accept who we are and what we have. It is something of a paradox we create for ourselves. Our lives do have meaning, just as they are. It is our own illusions that rob us of that meaning. We have somehow forgotten to claim our "reality" that is our strength and reason for living. In other words, you must stay in the "here and now" if you are to learn to accept yourself today and tomorrow. You have only this moment to make the best of your life. Your life is what it is, unless you decide to change it, but right now just live it.

------------------

#97625 - Fri Aug 11 2000 09:15 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

That is a beautiful thought Sandalwood and I will try to remember those wise words. Thank you my dear sweet friend.

#97626 - Sun Aug 13 2000 11:11 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

You have a dream

Ever since the time when you didn't know any better than to believe it, you have had a dream. Your idea of what your life should be. You've always known what you really want to do. You've always known your special place in life, your own unique contribution.

On some level you have always known. Perhaps you've never confronted it face to face. Or perhaps you have. Your dream makes itself known in everything you do -- in the things you like, the things you don't like, the people you enjoy, the places you like to visit. Your dream gives lots of hints, every day. It's too bad that you've learned so well how to ignore them.

Listen to your dream. Follow your dream. No, don't quit your job. No, don't leave your wife/husband. Those things are not standing in your way -- YOU are standing in your way. Blaming it on others will only delay you that much longer.

Do what you are here to do. Fulfill the possibility that is your life.

------------------

#97627 - Mon Aug 14 2000 02:22 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Self-Respect

The requirements for feeling good about the self may vary from person to person. Self-respect at the highest levels comes from honoring yourself. This means speaking and acting from a level of integrity and honesty that reflects your higher self. It means standing by what you believe in and acting in a way that reflects your values. Many of you criticize others for not living up to your set of values, which you think are the right ones. Many of you may have one set of values you say you believe in, but you act from another set of values. Doing so can lead to a lot of internal conflict. For example, you may believe in monogamy deep inside your being, and yet you accept your partner having an open relationship with others. You go along only to hold on to this partner. You believe in one set of values, but you are living another.

------------------

#97628 - Tue Aug 15 2000 02:52 PM Re: Positive Living Tip of the Day
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Optimism

It may seem to be a natural mindset--either you are optimistic or you're not. While some people seem naturally positive, everyone is, in fact,capable of consciously developing a more optimistic approach to life.

So the next time a problem or disappointment comes your way, make a point of looking at the situation's plus side. You can almost always find a positive to counteract the negative. For example,a missed bus gives you time to read the whole newspaper instead of just the front page. A loved one's illness may provide a much-needed reminder of what is really important in life. And if you need help finding a cloud's silver lining,consult someone outside the situation: a little distance brings a lot of clarity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong