Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#968083 - Mon Feb 18 2013 08:31 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Oh! I can see why old people would like it *runs and ducks* smile

Fortunately, I don't listen to the radio, so I miss many overplayed songs. But one of my tutors has class with me in a mall (math class, to make it worse). The place would sometimes play one song over and over without pause for 2 hours straight. A couple of classes and I was quite ready to scream every time I heard David Guetta's "Without You" (a boring song at best) or Nicki Minaj's "Fly" (best of Minaj [which frankly, for me doesn't mean much, not a fan], but still...2 hours, through math class!). They also kept playing one of A State of Trance's trance mixes...with unprintable lyrics. *shudder* Oh, yes, and please no more Ke-dollar-sign-ha (Ke$ha) or Britney Spears.

#976302 - Fri Apr 05 2013 12:12 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: lesley153]
Happy Birthday dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Originally Posted By: lesley153
Here's an iconic moment from an old Laurence Welk show.

"One Toke Over The Line"

Having watched the Lawrence Welk shows growing up, I know if he knew what that song was referring to, it would have never played on his show.

#1027961 - Sun Dec 29 2013 06:24 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
MadameGuvnor Offline
Participant

'Mull Of Kintyre' by Wings.
'Sailing' by Rod Stewart.

#1027975 - Sun Dec 29 2013 08:59 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: dg_dave]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Originally Posted By: dg_dave
Having watched the Lawrence Welk shows growing up, I know if he knew what that song was referring to, it would have never played on his show.

No, I'm sure they didn't have a clue.

"One Toke" on Lawrence Welk
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#1027989 - Mon Dec 30 2013 01:18 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
This reminded me of an incident in 1981, shortly after the demise of John Lennon.

At the time I was a single soldier living in barracks in Colchester. Each platoon had two large rooms sleeping between 8 and 10 men in each and, in my platoon's case, there was a single room which was occupied by a full screw (Corporal) who unfortunately was something of a Lennon fan.

In his grief, this NCO played, on his music centre (I expect many of you will remember those!) Lennon's 'Woman'... Over and over and over. This started at reveille (6am) and continued; and I mean continued until late into the night... God, I hate that song with a passion!

Eventually, after around five or six weeks of this, a group of us got him drunk and gaffa taped him to his bed... We then threw his entertainment system and his damn record out of a third floor window.

Of course, there was hell to pay after he'd sobered up, but at least no more flamin' Lennon!

#1027993 - Mon Dec 30 2013 01:30 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Channel ten is covering the Winter Olympics and is advertising it every. bloody. ad break. with the song "Hall of Fame" by The Script (featuring Will. I. am (who could win awards for stupid names)). I actually quite liked the song the first hundred or so times I heard it but it's getting onto overkill status now.

#1028079 - Mon Dec 30 2013 03:32 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
I remember being on a date the day John Lennon died. I heard enough of 'Imagine' to last me several years. I was also very sad about him being killed. I was not at my sparkling best that night!

I used to like 'Jolene' by Dolly Parton. I work night shifts in a call centre and a few years ago they were doing some maintenance/testing on the PA systems overnight and using that song to test. 1 am - 'ooh, that's nice, I like that song'. 4.30 am - 'someone kill me, please'.

'Dance With My Father' by Luther Vandross has me hitting the off switch in a hurry. It tends to be played late at night. It's a horrible, mawkish dirge and so far as I'm concerned, one play is overplaying that one.

Edited by supersal1 (Mon Dec 30 2013 03:38 PM)

#1028080 - Mon Dec 30 2013 03:48 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: supersal1]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
I get to do the grocery shopping every few days and am heartily sick of the old 1940s number, 'Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, I Love You'. Woolworths is half of a duopoly in Australian retail shopping, with their fingers in an awful lot of pies.

The other half of the duopoly is Coles, and they have totally spoiled the song 'Little White Bull', with their silly ads for car insurance.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#1028128 - Tue Dec 31 2013 05:52 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: ozzz2002]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
Ozzz, you forgot "Down, Down" by Status Quo which is currently being hammered by Coles. Not impressed with the sell-out to corporate interests.

#1028147 - Tue Dec 31 2013 07:56 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: supersal1]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#1028211 - Tue Dec 31 2013 03:47 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
Good Night Irene cry

#1048885 - Sat Jun 14 2014 08:37 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
Lpez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Mexico
"Counting Stars" by OneRepublic is a great song, however, radio stations overexploited it! I once found myself in a situation where 5 out of 6 radio stations I listened to were playing the same song. Overexposure does ruin good songs, I try to stop listening to them when I feel I start to dislike them.

#1057550 - Thu Aug 07 2014 07:12 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
halekotsi Offline
Participant

Loc: South Korea
In an era of portable personal playlists, and with the Pacific Ocean separating me from the 20 or so songs on permanent rotation on US radio, I mostly only have myself to blame if I get sick of a song.

That said, on my most recent two-week trip back home I heard "Rude" enough times to last me several lifetimes.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher