Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97712 - Mon Jul 24 2000 06:03 PM What does your license plate look like?
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
Geek gave me this idea when he mentioned that in Minnesota, most license plates have "Land of 10,000 lakes" printed on them.

What saying is written on the license plates where you live and what color are they?

#97713 - Mon Jul 24 2000 06:18 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
Anonymous
No longer registered

My license plate is red,white and blue, with red being the trim, white being the background and blue being the lettering of New York. On the left hand side is the statue of liberty, which is outlined in red. There is no saying on my plates.

------------------
Life's a journey, enjoy the trip!

[This message has been edited by billsgyrl (edited 07-24-2000).]

#97714 - Mon Jul 24 2000 07:35 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
Anonymous
No longer registered

Mine looks like this:

I could tell you what my plate number is but I'd have to kill you.

#97715 - Mon Jul 24 2000 09:11 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
splatt123 Offline
Prolific

Pennsylvania has several speciality plates that can be issued. Instead of me putting all there images here, let me give you a link so you can see them. PA License Plates

My personal Favorite is the River Otter.

------------------
This message was typed in front of a live studio audience!

#97716 - Mon Jul 24 2000 09:30 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
Anonymous
No longer registered

Kentucky's 'common' plate has a large cloud shaped like the state atop a field of green fading into blue.

We used to have a plate that pictured Churchill Downs' famous twin spires and a horse and foal on it, but CD complained of copyright infringement (after 15 years of the plates!) and it had to be changed.

Valerie

#97717 - Mon Jul 24 2000 10:00 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thanks everyone. And Auschic I don't want the numbers, so don't send the men in black after me, I would like to live long enough to see rest stops put on the information superhighway.

-----------

#97718 - Wed Jul 26 2000 11:45 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
Anonymous
No longer registered

Our NC license plate has a white background with blue numbers. In red at the bottom it says "First in Flight" and in blue at the top it has the Wright Brothers plane.

There is some controversy, I understand, with the folks in Ohio over the "First in Flight" thing...The Wright Brothers were from Ohio.

------------------
Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation...
Edward R. Murrow

#97719 - Wed Jul 26 2000 01:27 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

Loc: North East England UK
We're a bit boring in the UK - mine are standard British issue - black on white at front, black on yellow at back --- oh, and the front one's lying in the road where some idiot knocked it off yesterday with a milk float (do not ask me how he only managed to hit the numberplate and miss the rest of the car it's stuck to!).

------------------
If the pen is mightier than the sword, and a picture is worth a thousand words, how dangerous is a fax?.

#97720 - Thu Jul 27 2000 06:58 AM Re: What does your license plate look like?
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
there are about six different styles of number plates in New South Wales, the black and yellow is the most common

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/olps.htm
if you go to this page you can punch in your own numbers and letters and see if that sequence is available, and also select the style - your plate will be displayed on the screen - the site will tell you if what you've chosen is taken by someone, or will not be issued because it is restricted or vulgar or both.

hey auschic, I've got the black and white plates with GT and four digits.

[This message has been edited by gtho4 (edited 07-27-2000).]

#97721 - Thu Jul 27 2000 12:38 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
Sunshine777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
White background, red letters & that's it! Boring isn't it?
We also have one with a white background, green letters on it, but you can only get that licence plate if you own a business.

#97722 - Thu Jul 27 2000 02:20 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Like Fay_mc - we have the boring old British ones. What she didn't mention is that mostly the UK ones have a letter to denote the year, then three numbers (normally except for the expensive ones), then three more letters. Ours differ in that they mostly just have the letter J which is followed by a number of upto five digits. Single and two digit number plates sell for five figures of pounds, a three digit (like mine) sells for several thousands of pounds. We also have a few JSY plates which were introduced to raise some money for charity.

Guernsey (another Channel Island and most definitely inferior to this one) just has numbers, no letters. Now I could be very rude here and say that it is probably because donkeys can't write and spell, they might have problems even with numbers!!! Before any of our more PC members get upset I have to tell you that it is local sport for the occupants of the two islands to insult each other at every opportunity and no one takes offence .... just tries to find a bigger insult!!

------------------
From over the pond....

#97723 - Sat Jul 29 2000 04:55 AM Re: What does your license plate look like?
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

Loc: North East England UK
The great thing about the UK ones is (until the changes in the numbering system come in) you get a number which starts with a letter - showing the age of the car (like K is in 1992 - which is what my car starts with) then 3 numbers, followed by a space and three letters ---- and having a 3 letter long first name, I keep looking in the ads for ego-plates (private number plates) for ones that end in FAY...
...one day I am GOING to get one! (but I need a decent car first)

------------------
If the pen is mightier than the sword, and a picture is worth a thousand words, how dangerous is a fax?.

#97724 - Sat Jul 29 2000 12:37 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
shuttlebunny Offline
Prolific

Loc: Iola Wisconsin USA      

We also have a great variety of specialized plates...have a look! WI Specialized plates

We have the endangered species plate on the bronco. A portion of my registration fee goes to a fund which identifies, protects and manages Wisconsin's endangered resources.

------------------
Do You Hate Spam as Much as I Do? Click Here: http://www.cauce.org

[This message has been edited by shuttlebunny (edited 07-29-2000).]

#97725 - Sat Jul 29 2000 01:56 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

This is totally cool. Now when I am on the road I check out everyone's liscence plates and I think of you. I think of all you when I see one from your state or country. Thanks everyone.

#97726 - Sun Jul 30 2000 10:48 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
eboo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: canada
Nova Scotia
Canadas Ocean Playground

White background with blue print, the new ones have a blue sail boat in the center .

[This message has been edited by eboo (edited 07-31-2000).]

#97727 - Tue Aug 01 2000 06:52 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
Anonymous
No longer registered

I LOVE my state's (Pennsylvania) Preserve Our Heritage and River Otter one.

------------------
IndianPainter
The United States would be 10 times better if a woman was president.

#97728 - Fri Oct 13 2000 11:06 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

What colors are they BoyScout? If I remember correctly, years ago they were yellow with blue or black lettering.

#97729 - Fri Oct 13 2000 03:26 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
ethel Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: meredith, n.h.,usa
If I had a clue about cutting, pasting and all that other stuff, I'd try to find ours and show you. But alas...

New Hampshire's plate is kind of light blue and a little light green with a depiction of the Old Man in the Mountain on it (he's a geological rock formation on top of a mountain in Franconia, N.H. and he looks amazingly like an old guy - big tourist attraction).

And of course, the bottom of the plate reads: "Live Free or Die"

#97730 - Fri Oct 13 2000 05:56 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
Anonymous
No longer registered

Yes, I spot a rare one still with blue lettering and yellow background. Uugh . . . I hate those colors! They have evolved into just the opposite . . . blue background, yellow letters.

Now they have recently came up with new ones (about 6 months ago) which have a white center, and blue and yellow fading into the white. These license plates are also the first ones to display a website address, which I cannot remember what it is.

------------------
IndianPainter
Love Is Something Too Many People Look For Instead Of Giving

#97731 - Sat Oct 14 2000 08:30 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle<br>  Washington USA...
Haven't been in Massachusetts long enough yet to describe them off the top of my head, but I can give you the inside skinny on Washington, DC.

The old DC plates were red, white and blue with stripes and stars (not in a U.S. flag pattern; in the DC flag pattern, based on George Washington's coat of arms), with the legend (in blue italics): A Capital City.

The new ones make a political statement. They're basically the same design, but THEIR legend reads (or is going to read; not sure if they've been produced yet): Taxation Without Representation.

Anybody out there still have a "DC: Last Colony" bumper sticker?

#97732 - Sun Oct 15 2000 08:57 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
splatt123 Offline
Prolific

Here's what the current license plate looks like for Pennsylvania, JoJo. The link I have listed above in an earlier post will show you what the Otter plate looks like.

------------------
Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.

#97733 - Mon Oct 16 2000 03:34 AM Re: What does your license plate look like?
Gunslinger Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Somerville New Jersey USA     
New Jersey has a veritable plethora of license plates. Most are now reflectorized pale yellow (canary) with black lettering. Ordinary plates say 'New Jersey' across the top and 'Garden State' across the bottom. There are still older plates from the early 70's - late 80's around (medium blue with golden orange lettering). Between 1958 and early 70's, we had the canary (non-reflectorized) with black lettering, and before 1958, all the way back to the early beginnings, NJ's plates were uniformly black with orange lettering (two small letters in over and under config. on the left with 3 numerals, growing to four in the 50's.

We have vanity plates, profession plates, organizational plates, alumni plates, ecology plates, fraternal plates, military, military decoration, disabled, police (PBA or FOP), firefighter, EMT, Rescue Squad and on and on and on. I think we recently counted something like 96 distinct types of NJ license plates available. It's become a state industry - making license plates. It used to be done in prison until someone figured out how much money they were losing out on and got it privatized.

My own is a so-called 'courtesy plate', license SLW 7. The 'S' is my county (Somerset), the 'LW' my initials and the '7' is the general police officer ranking in officialdom's pecking order. I've had the same number since 1969, and I don't see changing it now.

Anyway, here's the site. Check 'em out if you like.

NJ plates

------------------
Gunslinger
'...and when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.'

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 10-16-2000).]

#97734 - Mon Oct 16 2000 11:26 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thanks everyone. Gunslinger I think you should change the 7 to 1, because you are top cop in our eyes. Splatt on the image that you posted above, do they show the website on the actual license plates?

#97735 - Mon Oct 16 2000 06:40 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
splatt123 Offline
Prolific

Yes, they do, JoJo. It's www.state.pa.us .

------------------
Due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.

#97736 - Mon Oct 16 2000 07:09 PM Re: What does your license plate look like?
linkay49 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Burt, Michigan
One of Michigans' plates looks like this.... Picture of the "Big Mac"(Mackinac Bridge) with the sun rising in the
background.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong