Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#978519 - Mon Apr 15 2013 09:46 PM Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion
portgleep Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: NYC New York USA              
Hey everyone!

Personally, the thing that keeps me writing questions (off note - can't help but bragging, very proud to say that I finally got the third Question Quest badge, becoming the 30th player to do so) is seeing all the times each of my questions have been played.

I think this motivates a lot of people, and so I'm writing to suggest a Grand Tally of all the times all your questions put together have been played. It doesn't take many questions for this to go into the thousands (at 200 plays per question, you just have to write 5 questions to get 1k plays) and so I think this would remind a lot of people that their questions aren't just being sucked up by some editors and lost forever, they're being played by hundreds of people! This could really motivate people to submit better questions as well, if they're reminded how many real people are playing them.

I'm no programmer but I think this would be very easy (relatively) to implement, as the tally for each individual question is already there. All you need to do is write a code that takes those numbers and adds them up, and displays that number on your Question Quest homepage or whatever.

Thanks for reading, and hope my suggestion is implemented.

-PG

#978522 - Mon Apr 15 2013 10:24 PM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: portgleep]
salami_swami Offline

Loc: Colorado USA
I actually am quite fond of this suggestion. I'd be curious as to my total. smile

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#978524 - Mon Apr 15 2013 10:40 PM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: portgleep]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
I'd like to make a suggestion. I'd like to see the question number for each accepted question. To elaborate, the questions under "Recently Rejected Submissions" have their question number next to the rejected question. I'm wondering if something similar can be done for the accepted questions as well.

#979585 - Sat Apr 20 2013 06:11 PM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: portgleep]
portgleep Offline
Forum Adept

That also seems easy to implement - but why? Is there any purpose to knowing the question number?

#979588 - Sat Apr 20 2013 06:42 PM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: portgleep]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
In regards to the total plays, I'm not sure there's any real purpose to knowing that number. It really doesn't affect any goings-on with the single questions and it's not needed for any challenges. Just seems like a random stat with no link.

As for posting the question number, this could actually help things on the back-end of the site. If the editor were to have access to pulling up questions by question number (for corrections) then it would be very easy to create a link for us to be able to work at it. Currently there is no way for an editor to access the questions once they're online unless someone (including the author) sends a correction on it.

#979687 - Sun Apr 21 2013 11:08 AM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: portgleep]
portgleep Offline
Forum Adept

It's true that it's not needed for any challenges, but I think it would still be very gratifying to question-writers.

I mean, number of quiz plays isn't needed for any challenges either, but of course we like to see it.

And it seems pretty easy to implement, so why not?

#979688 - Sun Apr 21 2013 11:18 AM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: portgleep]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Not that I see any harm in giving the number, but the difference between total number of question plays and number of quiz plays, is that people usually *choose* to play your quiz, and makes the numbers of plays meaningful. No one can choose to play an individual question or not.

#979692 - Sun Apr 21 2013 11:54 AM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: guitargoddess]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: guitargoddess
Not that I see any harm in giving the number, but the difference between total number of question plays and number of quiz plays, is that people usually *choose* to play your quiz, and makes the numbers of plays meaningful. No one can choose to play an individual question or not.

At the same time, there's no way to know how many 'different' players are playing your questions. The same person could see the same question more than once in rotation, it could reappear, etc. It would just be one big number saying "this is how many times your questions, on the whole, have been looked at at some time or another and maybe they were rated or correct or not". I just don't see the purpose myself. There is no harm, of course.

#979694 - Sun Apr 21 2013 11:58 AM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: portgleep]
portgleep Offline
Forum Adept

That's true. But still, I think the main motivation for quiz and question authors alike is thinking about all the players who will play their question/quiz.

On an aside - sometimes I see my questions in the hourlies or mixed quizzes. Do the Number of Times Played stats for the individual questions include non-New-Question plays?

#979732 - Sun Apr 21 2013 02:24 PM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: portgleep]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
That's true. But still, I think the main motivation for quiz and question authors alike is thinking about all the players who will play their question/quiz.

But unlike single-qs, regular quizzes do not take into account re-plays.

Quote:
Do the Number of Times Played stats for the individual questions include non-New-Question plays?

No.

#979752 - Sun Apr 21 2013 05:03 PM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: kyleisalive]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:

[quote]Do the Number of Times Played stats for the individual questions include non-New-Question plays?

No.

Why not?

I would think that the single questions would be added every time they're played anywhere. Would it be that hard to keep track of them?

#981431 - Mon Apr 29 2013 05:56 AM Re: Easy-to-implement Question Quest suggestion [Re: habitsowner]
portgleep Offline
Forum Adept

Originally Posted By: habitsowner
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:

[quote]Do the Number of Times Played stats for the individual questions include non-New-Question plays?

No.

Why not?

I would think that the single questions would be added every time they're played anywhere. Would it be that hard to keep track of them?

I agree that that would be nice, although it might be too hard to do.

However, on the other hand my original suggestion seems like it would take barely any work at all.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4