Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#978491 - Mon Apr 15 2013 06:11 PM Create a quiz category list "missing"
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
I clicked on "Create New Quiz" on My Quizzes page. That leads me the "Create a Fun Trivia Quiz". When I click on "Step 2: Create a Category", I'm taken to the next page where there is the "Animal" category screen on one side and on the other side it begins "Navigate through the categories below...".

The problem is, there are NO categories listed below. Zilch, nada, nuttin'.

So, I clicked on the Animals "I am ready..." to see if that might do something and was whisked to a screen that read "bad choice". (I KNEW that because I wasn't planning on writing a quiz about animals.)

Uhhhhh...can someone tell me what has happened? Terry? Help?

Incidentally, I also tried the same thing from the home page and got the same results.

Any and all advice will be appreciated but it it's anything technical, I'll need detailed instructions, too. No techno-wiz here.

Thank you one and all.

Lee

#978498 - Mon Apr 15 2013 07:03 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

The way I create quizzes is that I go to the location where quiz was go into. I don't just click "Create Quiz" and navigate from there; I do the navigating before I click "Create Quiz".

Edited by Buddy1 (Mon Apr 15 2013 07:04 PM)

#978509 - Mon Apr 15 2013 08:01 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Buddy,

It took me awhile but I finally realized what you were doing. AND, it works.

It's harder for me that way, of course, because it's so easy to find the category as you scroll down, but...at least it's a way.

Thank you very much.

In the meantime, if someone can tell me where my category list is I'd surely appreciate it!

Lee

#978510 - Mon Apr 15 2013 08:05 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I've had this issue before. Not sure whether it was a browser/plug-in issue or not but it fixed itself (or I inadvertently fixed it). If it's not working by morning, hopefully an admin can take a look. In the meantime, I usually use the route Buddy takes.

#978512 - Mon Apr 15 2013 08:25 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Thank you, Kyle. When I get back at it, which won't be until Wednesday, I'll hope everything is right.

If not, I'll check back in. This is a new computer, so I suppose something could have happened there, but everything else seems to be working okay.

I dunno. These machines and their problems are beyond my ken!

Lee

#978533 - Tue Apr 16 2013 01:56 AM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
What browser are you using, and what version? I don't think it's a system bug.
I just tried it using your steps and it worked (the categories and sub-categories were visible).

I'm using windows XP and it worked with three different browsers:
IE8 (v8.0.6001.18702),
Chrome (v26.0.1410.64m), and
Firefox (v15.0.1).

#978608 - Tue Apr 16 2013 11:18 AM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: gtho4]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

It says Windows 7 Home Premium and I'm using Internet Explorer 10. I still can't get the category list today.

I'll try it on Firefox right now and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Lee

#978702 - Tue Apr 16 2013 05:33 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Well, it works on Firefox. It works on my old computer. It does not work with Internet Explorer 10. Or at least with the Internet Explorer on this computer. I'm sure there are going to be more folks using IE 10 so it will be interesting to see if theirs works right. Of course, unless they write quizzes, they'd never know, nor would we.

#978776 - Wed Apr 17 2013 02:05 AM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
Blackdresss Offline
Explorer

Loc: Colorado USA
I haven't read all of this yet, but I saw the topic, so I have to chime in.

I am on a brand new laptop using Windows 7 Home Premium and I.E. 10, and there is so much now that doesn't seem to "work" in trivia like it used to.

The first thing I noticed that doesn't work anymore is the ability to just hold my cursor over "Upcoming" to see the next 6 hours of Expert topics. It highlights the words "Upcoming," but that's all it does. I can't see any topics; I can't see anything at all.

I had to hunt far and wide when my other TWO laptops died, back-to-back, to find anything that wasn't a tablet, with Windows 7. Because Windows 8 is such a nightmare when used on PCs and laptops, anything with Windows 7 in my part of the world has already been "snatched up," I was assured. Someone finally felt sorry for me, pulled me aside, and whispered to me where I could find a very high-end laptop with Windows 7, and I raced there, and sure enough, he has them and he sold me one. It's a beauty, too, but getting out from under "problems" was my goal.

But now, at least in Trivia, I have a whole new set of "Why isn't this working anymore?" problems.

Coincidentally, I *just* had a lightbulb come on while posting in my Team MB, and suddenly came up with a topic for a quiz I would like to write. I am so excited about this; I have never written my very own quiz before! I have participated in writing Team Quizzes, and I love that, but since I have never written my own quiz, I'm not the person who actually submits the quiz for acceptance, or not, so this would be my maiden voyage.

And when I saw this thread sitting here, I knew I needed to come in to read it, and oh no...

So there is my very first "this doesn't work anymore, but it used to" problem that is potentially an I.E. 10 problem.

After I search to make sure "my" quiz doesn't already exist, I would love to start working on it. But if it isn't going to work, and it's my first attempt, I'm not even sure what I will and will not realize is a "new" problem, since for me, it's all going to be new.

Does that make sense? I hope it does, and I hope maybe this helps, since I am definitely chiming in now with a problem I am having that was never a problem before, and based on what I am reading, IE 10 seems to be the suspect and culprit.

I will definitely read this entire thread, since this is all information I am going to need, but yow -- problems right out of the chute is just going to be weird, I think.

~Elle

#978792 - Wed Apr 17 2013 06:51 AM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Good luck with your venture into quizwriting - I'm sure you'll be fine. Since, from what you say, you know where your quiz will fit you shouldn't run into problems with creating the template. If, for example, your quiz was going to be in General, Alphabetics, starting with letter 'E', you would be looking at all the quizzes already in that subcategory. Once you're ready, you can click the 'Create Quiz' box on that page, and you'll be right where you need to be. The problem seems to be navigating through the system when you start at the root page of the category.

#978837 - Wed Apr 17 2013 12:22 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: Blackdresss]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Yes, there are a number of other "little" things I've found like you say with IE 10. Holding the cursor over the badges no longer pulls up a little screen that tells what the badge is. I found one quiz that when I held the cursor over the Game Notes it didn't bring up the screen as it used to. It also requires three clicks to tab down on quizzes, rather than one or two. That may make a diff in score, albeit little. I'm sure there will be more odds and ends, but as long as we have this work-around for quiz writing...that's the important thing.

Good luck with your very first quiz. It's scary and great fun, all at the same time!

(It WAS hard finding a Windows 7 left, wasn't it. I, too, had to enlist help.)

Lee

#978994 - Thu Apr 18 2013 06:04 AM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
Blackdresss Offline
Explorer

Loc: Colorado USA
Yes, it was almost impossible to find anything new, or even used, but I wanted a new laptop, with Windows 7. I had circled back in my mad search to find something somewhere, and after being assured my quest was pointless, over and over and over, someone potentially felt sorry for me (the tears that were welling up probably didn't hurt, and they were very, very real -- I was so frustrated and was already "playing injured" and should have been home with both legs elevated, not racing all over town in search of a new laptop) and really and truly pulled me aside to whisper to me (probably so that he wouldn't lose his job) that there was one guy, with one very elite store, selling very high-end PCs and laptops who might be able to help me, and help me, he did.

I wasn't anticipating new problems with I.E. 10, but that's what I get for anticipating, I suppose.

The things you list as new little IE 10 problems in Trivia may sound minor, but they really are not. They begin to add up, and as you said, habitsowner, it can and does make a difference in scores.

That being said, yes, this thread is going to be so, so valuable. And while I wish I could offer some answers to questions in here, I don't know enough yet to be of any help. Sorry...

I tallied forth, armed with information, to just take a cursory look at everything I might need to know before writing a quiz, and the things I learned! Everything seemed to work beautifully, right down to "testing" key words for my quiz title, just to be certain another quiz wasn't already sitting out there, and sure enough! Not only was a perfectly gorgeous quiz already online, the person who wrote the quiz is one of my favorite authors, and I receive alerts whenever one of his quizzes goes online.

I took his quiz, just to be certain, and was so surprised I hadn't seen it yet, but I had not. It's a great quiz, and while I had a couple (as in, two) questions he hadn't included in his quiz, I don't think I have enough to write a second quiz on the same topic.

I just know I'll come up with another topic, but in the meantime, I'll stick closely to this thread to see what else I can learn.

So thank you, all, for your help, even if you don't know how much you already have helped!

#979087 - Thu Apr 18 2013 10:12 AM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
You should be able to load a copy of IE8 onto your machine and can(disable) the IE10. I haven't heard that Windows7 doesn't support the older version of its browser. In fact, try running both browser versions and see which problems are browser related and which are Win7 related. Then switch back to one browser. At worst it'll act like a tutorial on your new machine for you. Did you take a tutorial or run a set-up wizard or just start using the new puppy? There may be a preference performance selection in a wizard regarding the mouse roll-over problem.

#979111 - Thu Apr 18 2013 11:12 AM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
If you are going to install IE8, make sure you use Windows Update to download and install the security patch issued in (I think) February this year to repair the Zero-day hole in that browser which was discovered last autumn.

In general terms it is always better to use the latest version of a browser because they contain fixes for security problems discovered in older versions - coping with a minor issue in FT is a small price to pay for security when the alternative may be much, much worse.

#979127 - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:39 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: flopsymopsy]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Would all these problems be avoided if the one used FireFox instead of Internet Explorer (asked a Mac & Linux user)?

#979142 - Thu Apr 18 2013 02:11 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: gracious1]
CmdrK Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Nevada USA
Or Safari for Windows (asked another Mac user)?

#979149 - Thu Apr 18 2013 02:25 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Anything is better than IE.

#979161 - Thu Apr 18 2013 02:55 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
eburge Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Worthing Sussex UK            
I know I'm not really contributing anything of worth to this, but Flopsy's got the right idea. I recommend Chrome or Firefox. I use Chrome because it's just so aesthetically pleasing with its simplistic design and layout. wink

#979162 - Thu Apr 18 2013 03:00 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Hey now, there are still some of us who like IE.

That said though, as much as web developers try to make things accessible in different browsers, not every single feature of every single website is going to work in every single browser. I don't really care for other browsers but there are some sites I like that I need to view in Chrome because certain things don't work right with IE. If issues are bothersome with IE, try a different browser at least some of the time when you want to use a certain feature. Most if not all of the little issues mentioned above have work arounds. For example, if there's no little pop up window that shows you the upcoming Expert topics, you can go to the page where you do your weekly category selection - that page also shows you the upcoming topics.

#979164 - Thu Apr 18 2013 03:19 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
My recommendation to switch browsers was not to find fault with a browser but to identify those failures of the Win7 Operating System version in use by Blackdress' machine. Once those items are known, then work arounds on whatever browser (I did say disable not erase, intending to keep that platform later) are viable options if needed. The status of using a tutorial on the new OS or a set-up wizard on the internet options is still unknown. Those should be done before any incorporation of new software onto the harddrive is done. The toughest part of getting a new machine is the reversion to being a kid again and going through all the learning steps involved in using the hard and soft ware. The youngsters go to town on learning about their machines while us geezers want our new thing to act just like the old one did without any input from us. While Microsoft has made their product a lot more versatile, it has required that many tiny details not in question before now have selections made one way or the other. Failing to identify a specific need means that you may not find that need satisfied in the current set-up.

Edit to be versatile which is better than being veratile.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Apr 18 2013 04:36 PM)

#979748 - Sun Apr 21 2013 04:52 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: guitargoddess]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Originally Posted By: guitargoddess

. For example, if there's no little pop up window that shows you the upcoming Expert topics, you can go to the page where you do your weekly category selection - that page also shows you the upcoming topics.

(I don't know if I did the "quote" part right...I've not done it before and when it came in it had your entire message, so I deleted the words that didn't pertain to the question I'm about to ask.)

What page are you referring to when you say "where you do your weekly category selections"? I think that's one of the many pages of FT I haven't seen yet.

Thanks, guitargoddess.

Lee

#979787 - Sun Apr 21 2013 09:17 PM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
Gil_Galad Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greece
Originally Posted By: habitsowner

What page are you referring to when you say "where you do your weekly category selections"? I think that's one of the many pages of FT I haven't seen yet.

She means the 'Change the Future' ability in Level Perks. At the top of that page, you can see current category, as well as the upcoming ones.

#979849 - Mon Apr 22 2013 06:07 AM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Yep that's the one. I'll link it later when I'm not posting from my phone unless someone else would be do kind as to show what page I mean smile

#979859 - Mon Apr 22 2013 06:35 AM Re: Create a quiz category list "missing" [Re: habitsowner]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada

#1008193 - Mon Sep 02 2013 12:16 AM Unable to select catagory for new quiz
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
I've been trying to create a template for a new quiz but something has gone wrong with the system.

When you press the "Click the + icons below to expand subcategories." it is completely blank so you cant choose anything.

I've tried a few times so it doesn't appear to be a minor glitch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4