Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#978956 - Wed Apr 17 2013 09:04 PM Explosion near Waco, TX
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Here's the report from CNN:

(CNN) -- An explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant Wednesday night in West, Texas, CNN affiliate KWTX reported.

A photo after the explosion -- which reportedly happened around 7:50 p.m. (8:50 p.m. ET) -- showed a huge plume of smoke rising high into the air.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/texas-explosion/?hpt=hp_t3

#978973 - Thu Apr 18 2013 12:41 AM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
Blackdresss Offline
Explorer

Loc: Colorado USA
In Waco, Texas? This close to April 20th, the anniversary of Waco and The Branch Davidian nightmare on April 20, 1993 that so infuriated Timothy McVeigh, former what, Marine? Freckle-faced, red-headed all American boy who decided to blow up the Federal Building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma on the same date, April 20th, but this time it was 1995, just to commemorate the date and to "punish" the ATF, since I believe their national headquarters are there. He parked that rental truck full of explosives right under/next to the daycare in that building, and later referred to all the babies he killed as "collateral damage."

Timothy McVeigh was a coward, and a blotch on our extraorindary military who put their lives on the line, every single day, in order to keep the rest of us safe.

April 20th, 1999 is the date of the Columbine High School Massacre in Littleton, Colorado, and those cowardly home-grown terrorists also didn't fit the profile (neither did Timothy McVeigh, not at all,) but they did reference the significance of that date in an online blog they were running, making reference to April 20, 1889 being the birthdate of Adolph Hitler.

I could give so many more examples of that specific date, and how many people make reference to it before they try to seek revenge while also generally going out in a blaze of what they think is glory, but is really their meager attempt to be remembered for eternity while achieving their very own "day that will live in infamy."

I did contact the Boston FBI as well as the Colorado FBI about date after date after date of horrific acts of violence and terrorism and carnage over the last few years, most of them April 20th, but some of them a day or two earlier, since this is no coincidence, and I was concerned maybe no one had put it together yet. It may not have one thing to do with those bombings in Boston, but it also just might.

I don't know if I helped, but since they were asking for any tip, even the tiniest little thing someone may have seen, to me, it was glaring since this week leading up to April 20th is one I brace for now, year after year. It is also my sister's birthday, so we are acutely aware of the significance of that date.

I also saw on a news station on television that an abandoned rental truck was found near the same spot today in Oklahoma City, near the Federal Building, but when the area was sealed off and the truck was searched, it appeared to be empty. Probably not a coincidence; just someone's idea of striking fear into the hearts of a lot of people, and reminding them of that horrific tragedy. Because that is what terror and consequently terrorism is -- terrifying people and altering their lives.

The Khmer Rouge had a saying during the Viet Nam War: "Kill One, Terrorize A Thousand" based on the Chinese proverb, "Kill One Man, Terrorize A Thousand." Because again, THAT is what terror and terrorism is.

It's just a crying shame, that's what it is.

~Elle

#978975 - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:11 AM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
ga_jam831 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Warner Robins Georgia USA     
My brother (who was murdered 17 years ago) was also born on this date. It is also Hitler's birthday.

#978977 - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:20 AM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
The explosion occurred in a small town called West, Texas, (2,600 residents) approximatly 19.5 miles north of Waco. There was a fire there, and then a tank of anhydrous (sp?) ammonia exploded. Anything within 4 miles was either damaged or destroyed.

Right now they are evacuating everyone to a town farther north owing to the winds blowing dangerous fumes. Problem is, a front is coming in and wind is expected to change directions. That is the reason for the evacuations.

At this time all injured (more than 150) are or have been through triage. Some have been transported to hospitals, some as far away as Dallas (about 1.5 hours drive time). There have been fatalities, but the number is not yet known.

At the time of the explosion, volunteer firefighters were fighting the fire. The whereabouts of about 6 of them are unknown right now.

My prayers are with all those without homes, those injured, and am hopeful the death toll is low.

First responders are going house to house as there may be people still trapped at this time. Everything is still very fluid as it is an ongoing situation. It happened only about 6 hours ago.

By now there are probably videos of the explosion on utube...

There may be as many as 5 first responders that have lost their lives.

Edited by Jar (Thu Apr 18 2013 02:03 AM)

#979011 - Thu Apr 18 2013 07:19 AM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
This is terrible
I hope all our Texas members are safe.

#979080 - Thu Apr 18 2013 09:44 AM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: ren33]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Currently authorities will not confirm the number dead. They are only saying between 5 and 15. Those will include firefighters, ems (emergency medical service), law enforcement and possibly civilians. There are more than 160 injured.

Live feed from helicopters show devastation and a still smoking fertilizer plant, partial collapse of a nursing home facility, heavily damaged apartment building and a middle school. Thank God school was not in session. The explosion occurred approximately 7:20 pm (about 25 minutes after firefighters arrived) last night.

Search and rescue is continuing, but at some point that will turn to a recovery effort. One would like to help in some way, but going there will only add to traffic congestion. Red Cross is asking for blood donations to replace their depleted supplies.

A line of strong storms passed early this morning which helped aid in some clearing of the air of contaminants.

A more current article here.

Added: Late afternoon, 11 firefighters and ems are unaccounted for or killed. They have started naming those confirmed dead, 3. frown

Edited by Jar (Thu Apr 18 2013 04:40 PM)

#979184 - Thu Apr 18 2013 05:26 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: Blackdresss]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Originally Posted By: Blackdresss
In Waco, Texas? This close to April 20th, the anniversary of Waco and The Branch Davidian nightmare on April 20, 1993

The Branch Davidian compound siege happened on April 19, not April 20.

I hadn't heard a confirmed number dead, but had heard as many as 15 were, with hundreds more injured. A customer of mine went through West about an hour before the explosion.

#979193 - Thu Apr 18 2013 06:14 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: dg_dave]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
They're saying the entire town is destroyed - middle school, nursing home, apartment complex...

Editor for Television Category

#979226 - Thu Apr 18 2013 09:19 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

According to Wikipedia, the blast was heard as far north as Arlington, which is primarily north of Interstate 20 (exit 418 on I-35E - whereas West is at about exit 353), or about 60 miles away as the crow flies.

#979319 - Fri Apr 19 2013 10:02 AM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: dg_dave]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

"They're saying" means they say a lot before they know or have been given confirmed reports. The whole town was not destroyed, but most probably had at least windows blown out. More than one school was heavily damaged, the apartment building looks like a vertical pile of rubble though.

This morning reports from local media say there may be as many as 30-40 people unaccounted for. It has been confirmed that 11 first responders have lost their lives. The operation is now, instead of search and rescue, search and recovery.

This site will have a number of photos of the destruction. As you can see by the headline, 12 bodies have so far been found.

You will see on the right hand side of the page 2 slide shows. Of the two, the one on the left has a photo of the apartment building with a fire truck in front of it several photos into the slide show (I say that to identify which one is the apartment building).

#979338 - Fri Apr 19 2013 12:21 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
In addition to the human lives lost and the property destroyed, there are dozens of companion animals that are now displaced.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/70-animal...-203703531.html

#979774 - Sun Apr 21 2013 07:37 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

All people have been accounted for as of this story. There is a curfew of 7am to 7pm.

#979978 - Mon Apr 22 2013 04:12 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

A week later, 14 confirmed dead. Most (I think 11) of that number were volunteer firefighters. 3 of the 4 schools in West were either damaged or destroyed. Children went back to school today, some being bused to another town 9 miles away.

Authorities say people were outside their homes watching the fire when the explosion occurred. Had they be inside their homes, there would most likely been more deaths. I saw video of the inside of homes, and it is devastation. Those living closest to the plant are still not allowed to go into the area, even to get their cars. Not that there is much left, probably.

The people of Texas have taken matters into hand and are providing for those who have nothing or little left. My heart goes out to these people.

#981085 - Fri Apr 26 2013 09:39 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
The latest reports show that the plant had not been inspected since 1985 and had a lot more fertiliser than permitted. The town had been allowed to expand towards a potential bomb. Also, Texas has double the rate of workplace deaths than other states. The interviews I have seen show that the locals see it as an act of God and feel no hostility to the owners or government. You have to admire them for being willing to die for their ideals.

#981088 - Fri Apr 26 2013 10:13 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: mountaingoat]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Originally Posted By: mountaingoat
Also, Texas has double the rate of workplace deaths than other states.

We in Texas are also second in both population and area in the US (California and Alaska beat us in populace and area, respectively (to give you an idea, Interstate 10 has 880 miles in Texas, which is higher than from Anthony, TX to Santa Monica, CA (775 mi) or from Orange, TX to Jacksonville, FL (790 mi)). To go 28 years without an inspection is an issue to me.

#981105 - Fri Apr 26 2013 11:43 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

I need to make it clear I am talking per 100 thousand or it is comparing oranges and apples.

#981288 - Sun Apr 28 2013 06:55 AM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
To be crystal clear, I think it was just callous and unnecesarry in this thread.

#981375 - Sun Apr 28 2013 05:25 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

What, facts!! I am going to stop paying attention to the news from the US. It is just too depressing and crazy. I think the whole country should win a Darwin Award.

Edited by mountaingoat (Sun Apr 28 2013 05:56 PM)

#981383 - Sun Apr 28 2013 06:46 PM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
It does seem to have been an accident that could have been avoided by complying with the rules on storage and safety zones, and with inspectors checking that the rules have been observed.
It was very lucky that the schools weren't occupied at the time, my father was part of the force sent to Aberfan to provide support. A whole town lost a generation of children.

#981429 - Mon Apr 29 2013 05:52 AM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

New York USA     
Sometimes it's the way the message is delivered and the reputation of the messenger regarding those they are disparaging

This thread has been full of compassion.

If what you wrote is all the informagtion you get locally about the events that happened, might want to look downon an entire country tooo and propose them for the award you suggest.

#981430 - Mon Apr 29 2013 05:55 AM Re: Explosion near Waco, TX [Re: gracious1]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

New York USA     
Edit

", I might want to look down on an entire country too.

Sorry, it's not easy to send longer posts from phone.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943