Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#979126 - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:36 PM FT's Rules on Quotation Marks
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Slightly confused about FT's standards for use of quotation marks. Say you have a question like this:

What classic movie featured both John Doe and Richard Roe?
Planet of the Grapes (1945)
Soup for Everyone (1946)
I Hate Rabbits (1947)
Foo Bar & Grill (1948)

I realize that in the informational section it will be necessary to use quotes, but in the answer choices as written above, is it necessary to put the titles of the movies in quotation marks?

Sometimes, it seems, I am told by editors yes and sometimes no, so I would just like some clarification? And is there something in the QCNs about it?

Edited by gracious1 (Thu Apr 18 2013 01:40 PM)

#979129 - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:43 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I don't know where the information is listed in the QCNs, I would have to search for it.

I can say, though, in answer choices, if the answer is ONLY the title, there is no need to put the title in quotations.

However, if there is more than just the title in the answer choice, the title goes in quotation marks.

For instance, if the answer is

Napoleon from "Animal Farm"

the quotations are needed.

For something with just the title, and the year in parentheses, it's a bit trickier. I've seen it both ways, but my preference is to put the title in quotation marks if there is ANYTHING (even the year) else in the answer.

#979131 - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:49 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Yup, ss has it right. The point of the quotation marks is to make the title stand out from the surrounding text. If there is no surrounding text, there is no need for quotes. You'll find older quizzes that have the quotes there, as it's not really all that big a deal, but I'm pretty sure all editors are on the same page on this issue now. I would not send a quiz back to the author for this problem, but just fix it myself. If I had to send the quiz back anyway, though, for other issues, I'd probably ask for this to be changed.

#979132 - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:50 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
agony Offline

Administrator

Oh, and - not everything is written in the guidelines. We've made a conscious choice to have the guidelines concise and non-scary, and to inform authors of minor issues if and when they arise.

#979169 - Thu Apr 18 2013 04:01 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
I would not send a quiz back to the author for this problem, but just fix it myself. If I had to send the quiz back anyway, though, for other issues, I'd probably ask for this to be changed.

Likewise. If the author is newer, I'd likely bring it up in passing as well since it's little fixes like those which, in the long run, will save the editor time if they are made before submitting. Not a big issue though.

#979171 - Thu Apr 18 2013 04:09 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: kyleisalive]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:
I would not send a quiz back to the author for this problem, but just fix it myself. If I had to send the quiz back anyway, though, for other issues, I'd probably ask for this to be changed.

Likewise. If the author is newer, I'd likely bring it up in passing as well since it's little fixes like those which, in the long run, will save the editor time if they are made before submitting. Not a big issue though.

If, however, they appeared in every question, and I see a lot of other quizzes waiting to be edited, I would probably send it back so I could use my editing time more effectively.

#979183 - Thu Apr 18 2013 05:23 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: looney_tunes]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

So the consensus is...
  • If there is only the title, quotation marks are unnecessary.
  • If I include in any other text besides the title, I must use quotation marks.
  • If the additional text, however, is just the year in quotation marks, it could go either way?

Edited by gracious1 (Thu Apr 18 2013 05:23 PM)

#979187 - Thu Apr 18 2013 05:36 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
I'd say ignore bullet point 3, and have bullet points 1 and 2 always apply whether to the quiz title, quiz question, possible answers, or interesting information. Incidentally, what do you mean by bullet point 3?

#979188 - Thu Apr 18 2013 05:37 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
agony Offline

Administrator

I suspect most of the editors would ask for quotation marks if you gave the year. I would.

#979190 - Thu Apr 18 2013 05:43 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Bullet point 3 means you may see either [The Breakfast Club (1985] or ["The Breakfast Club" (1985)] as an answer choice, and I'd say - yes, perhaps. Personally I'd go with adding the quotation marks but I do agree its a bit borderline as to whether the year in brackets *really* constitutes other text, since it's still referring to the title. While I personally would add them, I can see how there may be quizzes online where this was overlooked.

I'd actually say leaving off the year in your answer options and including it in the interesting info is maybe the easiest way, unless it is a title that is shared by multiple films and the year is needed for clarity. Categories where this may come up more often like Movies may have a preference for whether or not to include the quotes in a case like this, but in Television I can't say it comes up much - the year, if included is usually in the info section. If I did see such a quiz submission, I'd likely err on the side of using quotes though I wouldn't send it back to the author just for this since I can see how it's a grey area.

Edited by guitargoddess (Thu Apr 18 2013 05:44 PM)

#979199 - Thu Apr 18 2013 07:16 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
We have gone back and forth on this over the years in Movies, and the answer is really that we won't send a quiz back to you if you have either:

"Movie Title" (1963) or

Movie Title (1963)

The suggestion to leave the year out of answer choices is a good one. That way the problem (if it is one) doesn't come up. (However, if every answer choice comes back "Movie Title" with no year or other text, I'm likely to send it back for the 80 superfluous " to be removed, especially if there are other problems to be fixed.)

-----------------------------

Editor: Movies, Geography, Brain Teasers, Crosswords

#979201 - Thu Apr 18 2013 07:27 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

When you call tem '80 superfluous "'l it sounds terrible. Lol.

#979202 - Thu Apr 18 2013 07:38 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
That's why I send 'em back wink

#979204 - Thu Apr 18 2013 07:50 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
If there is only the title, quotation marks are unnecessary.
If I include in any other text besides the title, I must use quotation marks.

Word-for-word, the correction I send is 'All [insert media] titles, unless stand-alone, must be placed within quotation marks.'

#979208 - Thu Apr 18 2013 08:17 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
agony Offline

Administrator

Mine is "please put all [insert media] titles in quotation marks, except when they stand alone as answer options. I also follow this practice for song lyrics or quoted passages from books, BTW.

#979228 - Thu Apr 18 2013 09:27 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

I write "Please place all [book/series/play] titles in quotation marks, unless the title is the only text in your quiz title or a multiple choice answer option."

#979234 - Thu Apr 18 2013 10:44 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Does a full quotation mark need to be used? I see many with apostrophes bracketing the titles.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Apr 18 2013 10:45 PM)

#979250 - Thu Apr 18 2013 11:26 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Either ' (referred to as single quote or inverted comma, depending on where you live - in this context it is not an apostrophe, even if it looks like one) or " is acceptable, but usage should be consistent within any given quiz. Here in Victoria, ' is preferred usage, but I grew up using " (and using ' for speech inside a quoted passage).

#979306 - Fri Apr 19 2013 07:36 AM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I always like Bible passages where God says John said that God said to tell the people something...

And there is "'"'" in there. smile

#979308 - Fri Apr 19 2013 08:30 AM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: looney_tunes]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
but I grew up using " (and using ' for speech inside a quoted passage).

That is how I learned to use them.

#979336 - Fri Apr 19 2013 12:11 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: Buddy1]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: Buddy1
I'd say ignore bullet point 3, and have bullet points 1 and 2 always apply whether to the quiz title, quiz question, possible answers, or interesting information. Incidentally, what do you mean by bullet point 3?

I meant if the movies are listed in the answer choices exactly as my original post.

#979594 - Sat Apr 20 2013 08:51 PM Re: FT's Rules on Quotation Marks [Re: gracious1]
ASA Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide
  SA Australia   
Originally Posted By: gracious1
Slightly confused about FT's standards for use of quotation marks. Say you have a question like this:

What classic movie featured both John Doe and Richard Roe?
Planet of the Grapes (1945)
Soup for Everyone (1946)
I Hate Rabbits (1947)
Foo Bar & Grill (1948)

I realize that in the informational section it will be necessary to use quotes, but in the answer choices as written above, is it necessary to put the titles of the movies in quotation marks?

Sometimes, it seems, I am told by editors yes and sometimes no, so I would just like some clarification? And is there something in the QCNs about it?

I can only find the "Panet of The Grapes" , and "I hate Rabbits" movies, but you have the date wrong for both of them.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4