Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#977927 - Fri Apr 12 2013 09:04 PM Capone in today's dollars
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I was reading up on which countries other the U.S. had Prohibition. In reading the wiki page, it had stated that Al Capone had raked in $60M in 1927. I googled what that would be in today's current dollars. I came across this AWESOME calculator. It's the CPI Inflation Calculator, and it can calculate all the way back to 1913. Not surprising considering that's when the Federal Reserve was established. It can only accept values up to $10M. For the Capone calculation, I decided to go with $6M instead of $60M. I just multiplied it by ten. What was the result? $6M in 1927 equaled $80,057,241.38 in today's dollar. Multiplied by ten, and ol' Scarface took in over $800M! Wow!

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=6000000&year1=1927&year2=2013

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#977960 - Sat Apr 13 2013 01:30 AM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: cubswin2323]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Wow indeed.

#977961 - Sat Apr 13 2013 01:34 AM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: cubswin2323]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Who said that crime does not pay?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#977962 - Sat Apr 13 2013 01:38 AM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: cubswin2323]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
What a useful website, I shall remember it. smile

#978048 - Sat Apr 13 2013 01:46 PM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: cubswin2323]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
800M and he couldn't afford a decent accountant? tsk lol

#978603 - Tue Apr 16 2013 10:19 AM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: cubswin2323]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Well, his profits were off the books as it were. You would have thought he would offshored. Maybe Switzerland.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#978620 - Tue Apr 16 2013 12:28 PM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: cubswin2323]
paul4760 Offline
Participant

Loc: Iowa USA
When Geraldo Rivera opened Capone's secret vault he found nothing in it....hmmm.

#978660 - Tue Apr 16 2013 02:11 PM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: cubswin2323]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Al Gore has also become a billionaire through his carbon trading company. Different era, same scenarios.

#978663 - Tue Apr 16 2013 02:21 PM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: cubswin2323]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Thank Crikey that the tax codes have been rewritten so wealthy men of Mr. Capone's stature won't have to worry about such dust sized things as taxes anymore. Ya gotta love the way the Corleone's took things into the legitimate world by buying the lawmakers and then making their businesses legitimate. We now even enjoy legal gaming (used to be the numbers racket) that purports to send money to the education domain. Yeah, right. More like the 'contractors' who build the schools get the money, not the kids, teachers or supply cabinets.
Edit: Sorry about that last part. I guess the corruption of Boston's Big Dig (under the guy who just ran for president) wasn't that much strewn with graft. frown It all tainted my opinion of things politic.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Apr 16 2013 03:35 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#978913 - Wed Apr 17 2013 03:33 PM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: cubswin2323]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Having spotted a very familiar format in carbon trading, I remembered an article I read on the fall of Enron, who wanted to hide a huge loss by inventing future profits for the following year and hoped to make up the difference so by the time the year had completed the trick would not be noticed. Once the immediate problem appeared to have been solved, they realised it was just as easy to keep the system going as it gave the impression they were making money from nowhere and was attracting lots of new investment.

Basically they used a newly coined scam called 'energy credits', where to simplify something which was only a smokescreen anyway, it made people believe they had future profits to collect based on a complex formula they used to confuse people enough to take them in. As it was on such a huge scale it wasn't possible to hide it forever, but once the nakedness was apparent there had to be a fraud trial where for a rare example (along with Bernie Madoff) the board went down for a long stretch. But before this revelation, Ken Lay, the CEO, had a meeting with President Clinton and VP Gore on how to raise money from energy usage, and suggested their own system which had been working very successfully in the private sector. As with Corleone, the proven fraud of energy credits is now legalised as carbon trading. Fancy that.

Like Capone, although so far nothing has even been tried let alone tested, the closest Al Gore got was a hearing on the topic, where he used the ancient defence of amnesia, a full and total exoneration for all offences without a direct witness.

Gore testimony

Edited by satguru (Wed Apr 17 2013 03:39 PM)

#979587 - Sat Apr 20 2013 06:40 PM Re: Capone in today's dollars [Re: satguru]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Excuse the diversion, but evidence must be produced to add weight to any claims

Al Gore's latest profit

"Although the Chicago Climate Exchange (CCX) collapsed and shut down this week, Al Gore's Generation Investment Management LLP pocketed approximately $17.8 million on it's 2.98% share of the exchange when it was sold to the publicly traded Intercontinental Exchange a mere 6 months ago."

Moderator:  ren33, sue943