Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#982670 - Sun May 05 2013 06:51 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: agony]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: agony
I believe it was Noah Webster, wasn't it?

I suppose so. He or whoever should have thought how much simpler things would be down the road to just stick with the British spellings!

#982681 - Sun May 05 2013 08:45 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
dg_dave Online   content
Champion Poster

Loc: Dallas TX USA                 
Like kaddarsgirl said, and to me as well, those A's, O's, and U's are extraneous. I even used an example of a British spelling of a word with the mall I go to...and I am in Texas...quite a distance from the Canadian border.

#982689 - Sun May 05 2013 10:27 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: guitargoddess

I suppose so. He or whoever should have thought how much simpler things would be down the road to just stick with the British spellings!

I believe young Noah had a point to make about a fresh start for a new nation, and not being fettered by the conventions of the colonial masters.

#982996 - Tue May 07 2013 07:51 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
ASA Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide
  SA Australia   
Apart from tha alumninum/aluminium all the words quoted are pronounced the same. But I have noticed whilst watching things like Survivor that the Americans pronounce Bouy as something like boooo-ee as opposed to my pronouciation as boy.

It must make the joke about the seagull landing on the floating object and singing if You were the only gull in the world and I the only bouy sound strange.

#982998 - Tue May 07 2013 09:16 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
One small one that I have noticed is the word 'herb'. It seems to have a silent 'h' in the States, but not here.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#982999 - Tue May 07 2013 09:34 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
salami_swami Offline

Loc: Colorado USA
I've never heard that seagull joke. Also, we even spell it differently... Buoy.

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#983000 - Tue May 07 2013 10:06 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: ASA]
dg_dave Online   content
Champion Poster

Originally Posted By: ASA
the Americans pronounce Bouy as something like boooo-ee as opposed to my pronouciation as boy.

I've pronounced it both ways; just depends on my mood or where it is used in a sentence.

#983001 - Tue May 07 2013 10:13 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I've always said it BOO-ee. And the only time I would pronounce the "h" in "herb" is if it was a proper name (I know a guy named Herb (HERb)), otherwise I always say "ERB"...

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Tue May 07 2013 10:13 PM)

#983003 - Tue May 07 2013 10:26 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I reckon that KFC has eleven secret Herbs, not (h)erbs, and spices, although I often use (h)erbs in my own cooking. I pronounce buoy as boo-ee, but buoyant as boy-ant. Consistency is everything. )D

#983005 - Tue May 07 2013 10:58 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
salami_swami Offline

Yes, boy-ant, and boo-ee.

Oh English, how we love you so.

#983009 - Wed May 08 2013 02:20 AM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Does anyone know how that started? I can understand it being 'boo-oi', but how does 'oy' become 'ee'? I've learned something new, as the only pronunciation I've ever heard is 'boy' Maybe that shows I've never watched 'Baywatch'.

#983031 - Wed May 08 2013 07:26 AM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I am assuming that ASA has made a typo unless the Australians have changed their spelling, it is buoy in the UK too.

#983033 - Wed May 08 2013 07:33 AM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
How about a compromise - "BOO OY" for "buoy"? laugh

#983036 - Wed May 08 2013 07:49 AM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: salami_swami]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
Yes, boy-ant, and boo-ee.

Oh English, how we love you so.

I also pronounce buoyant as "boy-ant".

As a side note: how to you all pronounce either? I say both ee-ther and eye-ther depending on the situation/how I'm feeling.

#983039 - Wed May 08 2013 08:05 AM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

When it's "either way" I go "ee-ther". I say "eye-ther" when it's just "either". Generally "eye-ther", though.

I pronounce them "boy-ant" and "boo-ee", too.

#983040 - Wed May 08 2013 08:12 AM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
salami_swami Offline

Most everyone I know says ee-ther and nee-ther. They don't like that I'm the only one who says eye-ther and nye-ther. wink

#983060 - Wed May 08 2013 10:22 AM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Let's call the whole thing off....

#983062 - Wed May 08 2013 10:42 AM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
dg_dave Online   content
Champion Poster

From what I have been told, the coastal areas are more apt to pronounce either and neither with an "I" sound, whereas the central US pronounces it with an "E" sound. I pronounce it with an "E" sound myself.

#983080 - Wed May 08 2013 02:28 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Just buy your beau a buoyant buoy for the Bayonne bayou and put it away for safekeeping in the bureau. (There is a bizarre Bazaar pun in the pun thread)

#983081 - Wed May 08 2013 02:29 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Hmm.. never really thought about it, but I think I tend to say ee-ther, and nye-ther.

#989599 - Wed Jun 19 2013 09:10 PM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: agony]
Aussiedrongo Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
Originally Posted By: guitargoddess
Sometimes I wonder just who in the US decided one day "I am sick tired of spelling colour with a u. From now on I will spell it color!" and everyone just agreed with him? lol

While he was at it, dropping what he considered to be superfluous letters from the written English language, why didn't he remove the 'h' from the end of his given name?

#989623 - Thu Jun 20 2013 01:29 AM Re: Reminder - Regional style differences [Re: guitargoddess]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

No-ah dea. (Sorry, couldn't help myself.) laugh

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  agony, gtho4