Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#981899 - Wed May 01 2013 06:13 PM Jamestown Colonists: Cannibals?
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/...annibalism?lite

Anthropologists have discovered that the first colonists to Jamestown likely had to resort to cannibalism during a winter when they had little food and disease was rampant. I can't even imagine being placed in the situation where I have to make such choices...

Editor for Television Category

#981958 - Thu May 02 2013 06:18 AM Re: Jamestown Colonists: Cannibals? [Re: ladymacb29]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
They have had written information from that time period which has said there was a bad winter where this happened, now some physical evidence can be viewed to back it up. The written information itself would lead me to believe it was likely since it was written. I am guessing this is a last option situation and if the people died of natural causes I'm not going to judge what they did for survival and have empathy that they had to do it.

#981968 - Thu May 02 2013 06:52 AM Re: Jamestown Colonists: Cannibals? [Re: BxBarracuda]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
This is a real yuk, but there has always been anecdotal evidence from the 1609-10 "starving time" that cannibalism occurred. I think historians tended to discount it because there was no forensic evidence to back it up. It just goes to show the lengths humans will go to in order to survive. I would hope I'd be out in the snow digging up roots and eating bark!

#982016 - Thu May 02 2013 10:49 AM Re: Jamestown Colonists: Cannibals? [Re: ladymacb29]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Well, if they'd allowed me to die of natural causes, then I'd have absolutely no problem with people eating my corpse to let them survive.
I'd feel differently if they...helped me along the path to the Pearly Gates. smile

#982030 - Thu May 02 2013 01:05 PM Re: Jamestown Colonists: Cannibals? [Re: Jabberwok]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Originally Posted By: Jabberwok
Well, if they'd allowed me to die of natural causes, then I'd have absolutely no problem with people eating my corpse to let them survive.
I'd feel differently if they...helped me along the path to the Pearly Gates. smile

I am with you here. It would be a little like organ donation is today, many of us feel that our organs ought to be used to save lives if we are going to die. Certainly I feel this way.

#982112 - Thu May 02 2013 08:25 PM Re: Jamestown Colonists: Cannibals? [Re: ladymacb29]
mountaingoat Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Blue Mountains NSW Australia
Once I am dead I hope someone can make some use of whats left. Billy Connolly got in all sorts of trouble in England for saying in an interview that he wanted to be buried with his backside sticking out of the ground so people would have somewhere to park their bikes.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943