Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#98246 - Thu Aug 31 2000 07:42 PM Drowsiness Tips!
Anonymous
No longer registered

I took a decongestant this morning and noon that made me drowsy, I almost fell asleep in school and have fell asleep two times both for an hour today. Is their any way to make this drowsiness factor at a minimual? Because I don't want to end up like this:

------------------
IndianPainter
Love Is Something Too Many People Look For Instead Of Giving

#98247 - Thu Aug 31 2000 08:22 PM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
A decongestant doesn't typically make a person drowsy, BS. It is notorious for making a person's heartrate speed up. It's even recommended that you refrain from taking one within several hours of bed, because it causes insomnia. Do you mean an antihistimine instead? That one will knock you out. You can take a daytime cold medication that helps eliminate the drowsy effect (but then, the way it does this is by adding pseudophederine - which is a decongestant ("pseudophederine" "Sudafed" - get it?)).

I know that awful feeling of getting drowsy at one's desk. Sometimes, I have that feeling at work. The only thing that really helps me is to get away and close my eyes for a bit. I'll go into the breakroom and just shut my eyes for about 2 minutes, and it sometimes helps. You could do this in the restroom between classes. Any amount of being still and closing your eyes might help you.

#98248 - Thu Aug 31 2000 08:50 PM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
Astrix Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Canada
Drowsiness is usually caused by an antihistamine. A decongestant is considered a stimulant and usually the side-effects are the opposite of what you describe. That's why decongestants are a banned substance in the Olympics because it is felt that they may give an unfair advantage to athletes. Perhaps you are taking a combination of the two. Maybe you can find another product without antihistamine in it, that will still give you relief.

I found this site which explains about antihistamines, decongestants and combinations of both, along with some brand-names. http://www.uthealth.com/ut/respiratory/antihistamines.htm

Hope this helps.

------------------
I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. (Woodrow Wilson)

#98249 - Thu Aug 31 2000 08:53 PM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
Astrix Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Canada
Oops - starting posting a reply, then went looking for the website reference. By the time I finished, I missed Linda1's reply and ended up repeating information.

#98250 - Fri Sep 01 2000 07:22 AM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
Anonymous
No longer registered

The decongestant is Elixir, which states itself as a 'nasal decongestant antihistamine'

------------------
IndianPainter

#98251 - Fri Sep 01 2000 11:25 PM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

You're right, BS, this product does contain both. If all you have are simple cold-like symptoms, what I think I'd do is try a decongestant (without the antihistimine) during the day and an antihistimine (without the decongestant) at night before bed. This would help you function better at both times and wouldn't be overmedicating yourself. Typically, most doctors will, if it's just a simple cold, recommend that you not take medicine for symptoms you're not having. And, would recommend that you try to eliminate some of the side effects - like your drowsiness.

(Please note that I'm not trying to push products here - these are just 2 examples - there are many other name brands that are just as worthy.) But, an example of the above would be to take Sudafed during the day and an Actifed before bed.

If you're having any other symptoms, if what you have is not a simple cold, if you have any reservations about anything, if you have any other concerns, if your symptoms increase, whatever - please, please, please call your doctor. They are there to help you, and they may have a medication that will help you get over whatever you have more quickly and more easily. Remember that I am not a doctor (nor play one on tv), so my suggestions are only suggestions.

#98252 - Fri Sep 01 2000 07:30 PM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
Anonymous
No longer registered

Thank-you Doctor Linda!

------------------
IndianPainter

#98253 - Sat Sep 02 2000 04:48 AM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
There are plenty of products which state on the label that they will NOT cause drowsiness, just ask when you purchase such products - the pharmacist will know.

------------------
From over the pond....

#98254 - Sat Sep 02 2000 01:22 PM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Camarillo California USA
I stay away from that stuff..It always makes my head feel 20 times larger then my body.. Like the old Atom Ant.

However,I swear by Rosemary..the plant or the oil. If I have trouble waking..I either put it in my bath..or a washcloth in the shower or I just go out and rub my hands over my plants and inhale deeply!!

------------------
Sandalwood's Cosmic Creations: Working with the magic of love....

#98255 - Sat Sep 02 2000 06:13 PM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
What about eucalyptus oil Sandalwood, I find that works as a decongestant.

------------------
From over the pond....

#98256 - Wed Sep 13 2000 05:22 PM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Dang it! Had a sneezing fit this morning that would not quit, no matter what. Could tell that there was something moving around in the air that was causing my allergies to wake up!

So, I took a combo decongestant/antihistimine, so I could stop sneezing (not trying to push products here, so I won't mention the name, but it's a well-known, over-the-counter preparation that contains both ingredients).

Anyway, I'm now in the same shape BS was not long ago! I've been trying to keep these "baby blues" open for about an hour now, and I'm losing the battle quickly!

Yaaaaaaaawn! If I could only just put my head down for 5 minutes, I just know I'd feel much better!

#98257 - Fri May 11 2001 09:28 AM Re: Drowsiness Tips!
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
ANTIHISTAMINE DOES NOT PUT CHILDREN TO SLEEP

The over-the-counter antihistamine diphenhydramine, commonly sold as Benadryl, has such potent sedative effects in adults that it is also marketed as a sleep aid. But doctors at the National Jewish Medical & Research Center in Denver have found that in children, neither this drug nor another popular antihistamine, loratadine (Claritin) affects alertness or the ability to learn. Lead author Dr. Bruce Bender and his colleagues studied 63 children, aged 8 to 10, comparing their reactions on each drug to a placebo. Children receiving either drug scored the same on a series of reaction-time tests as the children taking the placebo. Dr. Bender admitted the findings surprised him, and warned that more research is necessary. But, he said, "Kids are not just small versions of adults. Their physiology is different." Studies that show a drug works a certain way in adults may not hold true for children.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong