Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#982209 - Fri May 03 2013 08:26 AM Things lost over time
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
Looking at the TV you'd think technology and facilities are in a constant state of progress, but in my lifetime I can think of a number no longer here, most of which we used regularly. Since the 90s or so Britain (and in a few cases the entire world) no longer has:

Motorail (where you drive on and off the train for long trips).
Car ferries on planes.
Supersonic flight (Concorde).
Hovercrafts.
Automatic home visits from doctors.

Apart from Concorde I have used the others on a regular basis until they stopped. Not wanting the dire 2-3 hour boat across the channel I got the £5 hovercraft which took half an hour, I had my appendix out within an hour of a home visit (now you'd need to be so bad you'd call an ambulance, which doesn't apply to the majority of cases as you don't always realise how serious something is. Mine would have burst had they not come and dealt with it straight away). We took our car on holiday by train many times as before the motorway it took two days to drive there otherwise, and for the millionaires supersonic flight could get people on long hauls in less than half the time as normal, and now everyone has to take ages even though they don't have to. And from what I remember it takes the same amount of time to get a train from London to Scotland as it did over 100 years ago. So over time many facilities actually disappear rather than increase, how many more can we think of which are no longer here?

Edited by satguru (Fri May 03 2013 08:40 AM)

UN IPCC

#982644 - Sun May 05 2013 04:27 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Your petrol pumped for you by an attendant. I was in a petrol station the other day and a disabled man wanted his petrol pumped for him and he was sitting there sounding his horn all the time I was pumping mine and paying for it - not one of the staff moved to go and help him. I was going to do it on the way out, but a lorry driver was doing it when I came out from the pay kiosk.

Porters at railway stations - you used to get off a train with luggage and be overwhelmed by porters who would get it to the taxi rank for you - now you have to struggle it off the train, find a trolley - struggle through the station.

#982649 - Sun May 05 2013 05:31 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I guess I'm lucky - I go to a full serve gas station, and my doctor does house calls. In fact, he prefers house calls, and only has patients come to his office when it's something that can't easily be done in the home.

I miss bus service. My part of the world is very spread out with a long way between towns, but the government used to make it part of the license to run a bus service that they had to serve the smaller and more out of the way places, even though it's harder to turn a profit on them. About two years ago, that requirement was dropped, and, surprise surprise, so was bus service to large parts of the province. We were told that the free market would kick in and smaller companies would spring up to take up the slack, but of course that hasn't happened. The closest public transport to my town is 65 km away - and I live in the well settled part of the province. Those in more remote areas are in real trouble - if you don't have a car of your own, you just can't leave.

#982652 - Sun May 05 2013 05:37 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario†Canada†††††††††
One little silly thing that I recently thought about and became a bit nostalgic over - never again will pre-teen girls be passing little folded paper notes to their friends in class. Everyone text messages now.

#982654 - Sun May 05 2013 05:54 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
† Hong†Kong††††††
Ha! Not in MY class they don't!

#982763 - Mon May 06 2013 06:53 AM Re: Things lost over time [Re: Christinap]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
Originally Posted By: Christinap
Your petrol pumped for you by an attendant.

It still exists here, not all garages but certainly some including the one that I use. Also my garage has a bowl of wrapped sweets for customers to eat, fruit flavoured chewy ones normally, similar to Opal Fruits.

#982772 - Mon May 06 2013 08:11 AM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England†UK††††††
Hovercraft are still used in all sorts of places - for example, a lot are used in search and rescue operations in coastal and inland waterways. And there's still a hovercraft ferry service to the Isle of Wight.

It's true we don't have Motorail within the UK any more, but we do have Le Shuttle. Makes crossing the Channel in your car just as easy, just follow the little green arrow.

#982820 - Mon May 06 2013 03:45 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
† Hong†Kong††††††
Many banks have sweets on the counter. We have hovercraft and a car ferry or two.

#982874 - Mon May 06 2013 08:42 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

The hovercrafts had limited lifetimes, and as each one goes as far as I know there won't be any more made. I'm pleased the Isle of Wight still has one, although it's such a short trip even I can manage the boat, but the train which replaced the hovercraft to Calais costs at least ten times as much even without taking the car. I'll add one more which certainly never happened in Britain, wide gauge railways. They had all different ones originally and although the wide ones could go a lot faster due to the added stability, and of course had more space in the carriages, vested interests forced us to standard gauge and slow journeys in all directions.

Edited by satguru (Mon May 06 2013 08:43 PM)

UN IPCC

#982902 - Tue May 07 2013 03:23 AM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
JaneMarple Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I miss the doctor-house calls too. Many a time, me and Mum have had to drag ourselves to the doctor's surgery - this after managing to make an appointment, after trying the phone-line for 15/20 minutes - when we really shouldn't have been out. Luckily, we have been able to have house-calls if we're really ill and got no way to getting to the surgery smile I also miss some of the chocolate bars and sweets from my childhood, although most of them have been brought back by popular demand, Fry's Five Centre seems to have been lost in the mists of time! frown

#982914 - Tue May 07 2013 06:04 AM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
We still have a service station in the town where I live that will pump gas for you, check your oil, etc. but you pay a premium price for it. I prefer to use a credit card at the pump, fill the tank myself, and be on my way. wink

#982949 - Tue May 07 2013 09:21 AM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Fry's Five Centres was always one of my favourites as well, and that stopped as it used a special machine to inject the filling in each section which wore out and wasn't replaced. But the amount of food products no longer here- Puffa Puffa Rice, Sugar Stars to name two of my favourite cereals, Club Biscuits with actual biscuits inside, and not to mention Bloom's carrot tsimmes which I discovered has not been taken on by anyone else since they went broke a few years ago, would easily warrant its own thread. Plus a section for those apparently 'brought back' like Golden Nuggets were, until you actually open the packet.

Edited by satguru (Tue May 07 2013 09:22 AM)

UN IPCC

#982958 - Tue May 07 2013 12:41 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

We can have house calls, but at a price. To have a house call after 11pm costs over £100. Mind you, if you are ill enough that you really need a doctor but are not ill enough for an ambulance then it is worth it, and prevents abuse by people who really do not need to see a doctor.

#982984 - Tue May 07 2013 05:08 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: sue943]
MotherGoose Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Western Australia
You can still get house calls here (in Western Australia) but it's rare. You'll only get a house call if (a) the doctor knows you or (b) you use a locum service (and they charge a lot).

There are two reasons here for the decline in house calls. (1) It is preferable to have the patient go to the clinic, where they have all the equipment and medicines available. Obviously the doctor cannot pack everything they might need in their doctor's bag. (2) A doctor was murdered on a house call here about 20 years or so ago, so there are safety issues involved for the doctor.

In the latter case, the patient was known to the doctor and although he was known to suffer from dementia, there was never any hint that he would become violent. He shot the doctor. Another good case for gun control. As it happens, I knew both the patient (who was a friend of my grandparents) and the doctor (I tutored his daughter and worked with his wife). It was a huge shock to our small community.

#982994 - Tue May 07 2013 07:13 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
paul4760 Offline
Participant

Loc: Iowa USA
Written letters. They used to publish books containing nothing but the written correspondence of famous people throughout their lives.

#983004 - Tue May 07 2013 10:48 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
How about NASA? We go to the Moon, then it's 30+ years of earth orbits. Now we have to thumb a ride from the Russians. When are we going to Mars?

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#983123 - Wed May 08 2013 06:22 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

That reminds me of another one, who remembers the plane which flew above the atmosphere and could go half way round the world in about 8 hours? They made the prototype in about the 80s, and was never produced commercially as they couldn't get enough countries together to fund it. We could all get around the world now in half a day in 30 year old technology, it was only the greediness of individuals who blocked it happening, imagine the time saved if it had taken over.

UN IPCC

#983233 - Thu May 09 2013 02:46 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Rotary dial phones. smile

#983257 - Thu May 09 2013 03:35 PM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I think it's only about a half a dozen years since my parents finally had to change their rotary dial phone for a digital one! Not too "lost in the mists of time" yet for my memory grin

I miss wafer ice-creams, you know the ones where the guy in the ice cream cart had a rectangular shaped 'scoop' into which he placed the first wafer, then proceeded to scoop raspberry or strawberry and vanilla ice cream on top of it until the scoop/mold was full, then slapped on a second wafer giving you a yummy 'sandwich' to lick all around until there was only soggy wafer left! mmmmmmmm!

Edited by Santana2002 (Thu May 09 2013 03:36 PM)

#983326 - Fri May 10 2013 03:41 AM Re: Things lost over time [Re: satguru]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I never saw one of those Toni but remember them selling icecream in bricks, little ones for individual sandwiches or larger blocks for you to take home and cut into sandwiches that way.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943