Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#983622 - Mon May 13 2013 06:24 AM Things We're Glad are Lost
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
We've got a thread about things that have disappeared that we miss, but there are also things that have disappeared that we say "good riddance" to. Here are a few of mine:

Shampoo in glass bottles with a screw-on cap
Girdles
Rushing to the bank five minutes before closing on Friday afternoon in order to have cash for the weekend

#983632 - Mon May 13 2013 09:00 AM Re: Things We're Glad are Lost [Re: agony]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Tweeny Twink and hair lacquer.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

#983676 - Mon May 13 2013 11:55 AM Re: Things We're Glad are Lost [Re: agony]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
The outside loo (I hated the one in my gran's, especially in the middle of winter on a dark, stormy night when you had to take the flashlamp and grandad's huge mac to shelter under whilst making your way to the draughty, creepy place). She only got inside plumbing in 1987!

#983704 - Mon May 13 2013 04:17 PM Re: Things We're Glad are Lost [Re: agony]
Cuish Offline
Participant

Loc: Scotland UK
There was a Spanish women in my college class who was like the most annoying person ever. She completely struggled with the course (a basic introductory computering course) and she'll bug the person next to her to ask how to do the most simple computer task. This one time, she actually asked me where you save a word processing file, especially when the exercise sheet specifically told you to create a folder for the task. So she didn't read instructions properly either. Early on, she claimed that she never used a computer before (well, that was beyond obvious) and she never did any of the assessments. Anyway, since we came back from the Easter holidays a month ago, she's only turned up 2 or 3 times or so. Good riddance. Rant over.

#983706 - Mon May 13 2013 05:10 PM Re: Things We're Glad are Lost [Re: agony]
Happy Birthday guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Dial-up internet/not being able to use the phone while online

#983711 - Mon May 13 2013 06:22 PM Re: Things We're Glad are Lost [Re: guitargoddess]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Originally Posted By: guitargoddess
Dial-up internet/not being able to use the phone while online

I didn't know you were old enough to remember that. wink

Something I'm glad to see gone are the analog odometers on cars. With the new digital ones, you can't roll those back to try to get a car with an incorrect reading.

#983712 - Mon May 13 2013 06:23 PM Re: Things We're Glad are Lost [Re: guitargoddess]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Ditto to agony's girdles! Also goodbye to manual and/or electric typewriters, carbon paper, and mistakes that were too hard to correct. Picture this - Original plus three copies. If a mistake was made, then erase the original, flip a carbon, erase copy, flip, erase, flip, erase. eek

#983716 - Mon May 13 2013 06:45 PM Re: Things We're Glad are Lost [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Oh, carbon paper! You'd never get it lined up properly again, after correctly all those carbons...

Something else I don't miss is heating up leftovers in the oven or on the stove - the microwave has really made a difference there.

#983719 - Mon May 13 2013 07:22 PM Re: Things We're Glad are Lost [Re: agony]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Banda machines. I always got covered in ink.Thank heaven for photocopiers.
Tv's, A/c's,fans and Dvd players without remote controls.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943