Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#985136 - Wed May 22 2013 12:43 PM Photo Quizzes
Plodd Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Hampshire England UK         
Hello all!

Once we create a standard quiz template, can we at any time change it to a photo quiz template, or vice versa?

#985139 - Wed May 22 2013 01:02 PM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
No; this is not something we currently have built into our system. Once the template is created, the site holds onto its particular designation and doesn't let go-- the same works for Individual vs. Team Quizzes.

#985140 - Wed May 22 2013 01:21 PM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
Plodd Offline
Forum Adept

Thanks Kyle :-)

#985157 - Wed May 22 2013 03:57 PM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

No problem. That and an author challenge title designation toggle are two things I've been hoping for for a while. (At least the latter.)

#985428 - Fri May 24 2013 11:20 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
Plodd Offline
Forum Adept

I have another question and it may sound a bit dense blush

The photos I use are saved in several documents on my computer. These are then uploaded to the quiz template.

What happens if I delete the folders to save on computer space. Will they disappear from the quiz?

#985429 - Fri May 24 2013 11:27 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Nope-- they're uploaded to FT. Delete from your computer at will!

Edit to add: I usually hold onto my photos in a separate folder for a few days to a week after the quiz is online, just in case there's an issue with a specific upload. I've had to change images before and, in another case, I've put in the wrong attribution. Keeping everything together (including citations) is a careful way to approach it.

Edited by kyleisalive (Fri May 24 2013 11:29 AM)

#985430 - Fri May 24 2013 11:29 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
Plodd Offline
Forum Adept

Will do Kyle smile

#995080 - Sun Jul 07 2013 05:36 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
Eisenherz Offline
Participant

Loc: Madeira Portugal
Thought I'd use this thread instead of creating a new one, hope it's ok. I finally came across what I believe to be a good idea for a quiz but I don't see how to make it a photo quiz, as intended, within the quiz creation process. Are photo quizes creation under a different part than regular ones or if not, what am I missing?

#995089 - Sun Jul 07 2013 05:43 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
To be able to create photo quizzes, you must complete the Adventures in Authoring game far enough to gain access to photo quizzes. Your target is the License to Shoot minibadge. Once you have gained that, you will have access to photo quiz templates. Be aware that you will write quite a few quizzes before you get there!

#995091 - Sun Jul 07 2013 05:44 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
jonnowales Offline
Prolific

Loc: Swansea,UK
Hi Eisenherz,

In order to be able to create photo quizzes, you must participate in Adventures in Authoring - http://www.funtrivia.com/authorthis.cfm

It is quite a long adventure but I hope it'll give you some great ideas for future quizzes. smile

Edit: Beaten by L_T!

Edited by jonnowales (Sun Jul 07 2013 05:45 AM)

#996935 - Wed Jul 17 2013 12:09 AM Photo Quiz -- Rules clarification needed
EnglishJedi Offline
Participant

Loc: Southampton England UK    
I would appreciate clarification. I've had two conflicting messages recently from editors regarding allowable photos, so can someone please clarify... Here are the relevant parts of the two messages:

"...only "recognizable pictures" of living people are disallowed. The pictures in this quiz are all public domain images of dead people, which I believe is ok. I remember I had to leave out a few more recent poets because the images were too recent. I'd certainly allow images of this sort in quizzes I edit..."

and

"as I understand it no recognizable faces are to be in photos even if the subject has been dead 100 years, 300 years, or is a painting or sculpture (seriously, you can't put in a pic of a sculpture of Queen Vic, for example, even if by definition, it was meant to be seen!) I reckon the best place to ask for a definitive answer is in the Authoring Chat boards..."

Can someone clarify, since being allowed to use photos of historic people would certainly make writing photo quizzes both easier and a lot more interesting for both the writers and the readers.

Thanks

Marc

#996937 - Wed Jul 17 2013 01:42 AM Re: Photo Quiz -- Rules clarification needed [Re: EnglishJedi]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
There's a simple rule that is in place at the moment in photo quizzes--if you want to include a picture of a recognisable person, you need to have explicit permission of that person for it to be included. This rule is one that was established after the first photo quizzes went online, so older quizzes (when editors only could create these) were not held to this standard but new quizzes will be.

#996940 - Wed Jul 17 2013 02:18 AM Re: Photo Quiz -- Rules clarification needed [Re: Plodd]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

While this rule is in place, there are frequent discussions about how we can make the types of pictures you're describing a possibility in the future. Unfortunately, at this time, we're playing it on the safe side.

#996941 - Wed Jul 17 2013 02:22 AM Re: Photo Quiz -- Rules clarification needed [Re: Plodd]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Yes, I should have emphasised the "at the moment" part of it. smile

#996943 - Wed Jul 17 2013 02:24 AM Re: Photo Quiz -- Rules clarification needed [Re: Plodd]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

The latest agreement among the editors is that a photographic reproduction of a piece of public art is acceptable - for example, a statue or a painting on public display - but only if the object is located in a place where taking a picture of it is legal and not subject to copyright. Many galleries and museums do not allow photographs to be taken, but will sell you reproductions. If someone takes a photo inside such a place, then it cannot be used even if they release their photo into the public domain, because they do not actually have the right to do so. However, no photographs of people themselves can be used unless you have explicit consent from the subject.

#996947 - Wed Jul 17 2013 05:18 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
So I can use a photo of Queen Victoria as long as she consents? Hmm, I think digging her up to ask for her permission might be a little tricky... laugh

#997090 - Wed Jul 17 2013 07:04 PM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: flopsymopsy]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
So I can use a photo of Queen Victoria as long as she consents? Hmm, I think digging her up to ask for her permission might be a little tricky... laugh

laugh If it's a statue of Queen Victoria that stands in a public place, then it would be usable according to what LT just described.

#997099 - Wed Jul 17 2013 10:46 PM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
EnglishJedi Offline
Participant

Loc: Southampton England UK    
It all seems a shame, since the photo round in just about any RT pub quiz consists of identifying a selection of famous people. The photo quizzes as they are at the moment seem to be bordering on a waste of time -- either you can answer the question by just looking at the photo (I did one recently where there were ten photos of colored sheets of paper) and the answer was the color, or the photos are either red herrings or of no practical use -- I did a couple of geographical photo quizzes, but asking a question that requires the solver to identify which mountain or mountain range is in a particular country, for example, including a photo of the mountain is of no practical help in solving the question.

Marc

#997107 - Wed Jul 17 2013 11:46 PM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Sometimes the images are there to enrich the experience - I find it interesting to see what those mountains actually look like, rather than just knowing the name of the highest mountain in South America. It may not help me answer the question, but it can certainly help me enjoy the process more.

In my experience few if any images are red herrings, but sometimes it takes a bit of thought to see their relevance, at which time they often become useful clues, or confirmation that the answer you are considering is right. Personally, I would find a quiz that just asked me to recognize people from their photos rather boring, unless it had really interesting extra information. But that's just me.

#997116 - Thu Jul 18 2013 01:42 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Many of the new photo quizzes are from authors who have only just obtained the ability. I found it quite scary, and the rules are (rightly) strict, so my first efforts were not too imaginative. Now that I have gained confidence, I do try not to make the answer that obvious, and hope my quizzes have improved as a result. Writing a good photo quiz is more challenging than I expected - I often find that I have a perfect question, but cannot find a usable image to go with it.

#997153 - Thu Jul 18 2013 07:50 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
What's the rule about Team quizzes being of the Photo ilk?

#997160 - Thu Jul 18 2013 08:27 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

They can't be.

#1008108 - Sun Sep 01 2013 11:04 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
mcsurfie Offline
Participant

Loc: Kent United Kingdom         
I've a question regarding copyright of photos taken by the author, are they the author's own copyright, even if taken at a museum or a public attraction.

#1008112 - Sun Sep 01 2013 11:31 AM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: Plodd]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
If you take a photograph then the copyright is yours.

However, let us say that you went to Disney and took photos, the copyright is yours but there might be some restriction by Disney if you wanted to publish, let us say, images of Mickey Mouse. You would need to check a Disney website for that.

Edited by sue943 (Sun Sep 01 2013 11:35 AM)

#1008123 - Sun Sep 01 2013 12:11 PM Re: Photo Quizzes [Re: sue943]
mcsurfie Offline
Participant

Loc: Kent United Kingdom         
Originally Posted By: sue943
If you take a photograph then the copyright is yours.

However, let us say that you went to Disney and took photos, the copyright is yours but there might be some restriction by Disney if you wanted to publish, let us say, images of Mickey Mouse. You would need to check a Disney website for that.

Thanks for that info. The ones I have are not of an image such as Micky Mouse.
If I am lucky enough to get my License to Shoot badge, then I hope to do a quiz on Chatham Historic Dockyard, and have a number of hptos of various things to be seen there, as well as the od fact.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4