Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#987198 - Sat Jun 08 2013 12:34 AM Playing Quizzes
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
When I click on a link to play a quiz, only part of the page loads, even when I try to refresh the page. It appears that the computer thinks its done loading the page rather than just taking a long time to load a quiz. (The part of the quiz I'm referring to is the page where you can select what format you want to play the quiz in.) There's an image in the upper-left hand side and if I double click that, I can play the game in regular mode. This presents a problem if I wish to play a game in Flash mode or Quiz Game mode, like for a Daily Challenge. It appears to be a problem on my end, since no one else is mentioning this. Any ideas on what I can do, so I can get the full screen to load?

#987199 - Sat Jun 08 2013 12:46 AM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
What browser are you using .. what happens if you try a different broswer?

#987241 - Sat Jun 08 2013 09:01 AM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I'm currently using Internet Explorer 7. I'm not sure if I have the ability to change browsers.

#987244 - Sat Jun 08 2013 09:53 AM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
Do you have either Chrome or Firefox installed on your PC?

#987249 - Sat Jun 08 2013 10:26 AM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I don't believe so. I don't exactly if I'm checking correctly, but I've got to the taskbar Start menu and searched using the search menu there.

#987254 - Sat Jun 08 2013 12:18 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I had a similar experience as Buddy1 is having using the older version of IE (it's now up to ver.8 and if you are going to use IE, it should be the latest version if your PC will support it. I'm running XP: can't get much older than that these days). If you don't upgrade to a newer IE, for a remedial fix, I used to do a go-back/come-forward-again rather than a refresh. It was much quicker.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jun 08 2013 12:19 PM)

#987257 - Sat Jun 08 2013 12:52 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
ITSOUNO11 Offline
Participant

Loc: Virgin Islands USA
Hey Buddy -- People have been having issues with little things that used to work but don't any longer. "Change the browser" "mine works fine" and "its your computer not us" were most of the answers.

Thanks to the "Expert Chat" thread, and a player named "Aedan57" this small little click solved the problems. See if it helps you out.

If enabling active x for FT doesn't help, try this.
Click on "page", while on FT, click on compatibility (esp if page symbol appears to have a tear across the middle).
Hope that helps.

#987259 - Sat Jun 08 2013 01:03 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Hey Buddy -- People have been having issues with little things that used to work but don't any longer. "Change the browser" "mine works fine" and "its your computer not us" were most of the answers.

I don't mean to rebut or anything, but upgrading your browser is a necessity not only on FT but on many other sites simply because the internet is constantly being expanded and upgraded with new things. By upgrading your browser and any plug-ins you'll be able to access any new content FT releases. It's free to do and as easy as clicking a few buttons in your browser. Some people on FT run older versions and they work for quite a while, but as new things start to appear, people will need to upgrade.

The three answers you outlined are likely the most prominent because most people are upgrading their browsers and the issue likely is just stemming from that.

That being said, upgrading Active X (or enabling it at all) might help; not sure.

Buddy, you should be able to upgrade your IE browser (the current one is IE9) by clicking through the preferences on your top bar. Otherwise, to get Firefox and Chrome like Gt suggested all you need to do is perform a Google search, download it to your computer for free, and launch it. The same can be said for the current version of IE if you can't find it in your top bar-- I searched 'Internet Explorer' and it was the first hit.

I am using Firefox 21.0 (it's up to date) for Mac.

Edited by kyleisalive (Sat Jun 08 2013 01:03 PM)

#987260 - Sat Jun 08 2013 01:13 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

ITSOUNO11: There is no compatibility for me to click on.

kyleisalive: How do I upgrade my Internet Explorer browser? I don't see any preferences on the top bar.

#987261 - Sat Jun 08 2013 01:26 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: kyleisalive]
ITSOUNO11 Offline
Participant

Point taken, Kyle. Although it is annoying when everything on your computer works fine except for a couple little things on one website that used to work but don't any longer. And then the only responses you get "it's you not me" or "mine works fine".

That being said, I probably shouldn't have included the active x suggestion because it didn't help me. The following suggestion solved an issue that involved a few members.

Click on "page", while on FT, click on compatibility (esp if page symbol appears to have a tear across the middle).
Hope that helps.

Buddy, I hope that helps.

#987262 - Sat Jun 08 2013 01:27 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Forum Champion

#987263 - Sat Jun 08 2013 01:30 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
ITSOUNO11 Offline
Participant

Hey Buddy,

The compatibility button is on the pull down menu when you click "page" on the toolbar. Other than that, good luck. It is frustrating.

#987264 - Sat Jun 08 2013 01:42 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

That's where I checked. The only options are New Window, Cut, Copy, Paste, Save As, Save Page by e-mail, Save link by e-mail, Edit with Microsoft Word, Zoom, Text Size, Encoding, View Source, Security Report, Web Page Privacy Policy.
I might just upgrade from IE7 to IE9 if it's similar in appearance and feasibility, but just in case I don't I thought I'd mention that my Page drop-down menu doesn't appear to have a compatibility link.

#987310 - Sat Jun 08 2013 07:46 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: kyleisalive]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive

I don't mean to rebut or anything, but upgrading your browser is a necessity not only on FT but on many other sites simply because the internet is constantly being expanded and upgraded with new things.

Not everyone has the resources to buy a new computer and get the latest software.

The reason many people are forced to upgrade is because there is this "upgrading for upgrading's sake" mentality -- to force people to buy new computers, new software, new gadgets, etc. to make money. The Internet is changing not because it is a natural process like erosion or the tides but because people who provide Internet content are making specific choices, putting content out there that requires people to shell out their money and buy new stuff.

So many web sites I cannot visit because they ELECT to use technology that eats up cycles and delivers little added value.

I would hope that a place like FT, which functions just fine using current technology, doesn't feel a need to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, and add technology that may be flashy but doesn't actually add any real value.

#987314 - Sat Jun 08 2013 07:55 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I think you'll see that some of these suggestions aren't available as menu pulldowns, titlebar options and other things on IE7. Some are there on IE8 but not all and all should be available on IE9. I don't think IE9 will be fully compatible with earlier Operating systems. Wasn't it developed to work on Vista and the new Windows 8?
The best course of action is to get at least IEv.8. Remember that it may take an on/off session to implement it on your machine. The download (about a half hour at 3kbps) doesn't self-activate. You need to get it into your registry with a boot action.

#987321 - Sat Jun 08 2013 08:26 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Forum Champion

Quote:
Not everyone has the resources to buy a new computer and get the latest software.

The reason many people are forced to upgrade is because there is this "upgrading for upgrading's sake" mentality -- to force people to buy new computers, new software, new gadgets, etc. to make money. The Internet is changing not because it is a natural process like erosion or the tides but because people who provide Internet content are making specific choices, putting content out there that requires people to shell out their money and buy new stuff.

So many web sites I cannot visit because they ELECT to use technology that eats up cycles and delivers little added value.

I would hope that a place like FT, which functions just fine using current technology, doesn't feel a need to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, and add technology that may be flashy but doesn't actually add any real value.

I'm not sure what you're arguing for (unless it's a commentary about buying for the sake, which I do agree with you on...I think computers are expensive and keeping them top-of-the-line is a neverending journey of imperfection). The advances on the site here are followed by regularly upgrading your internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, or otherwise) for free. We're not asking anyone to buy new computers for trivia. tongue

Quote:
I think you'll see that some of these suggestions aren't available as menu pulldowns, titlebar options and other things on IE7. Some are there on IE8 but not all and all should be available on IE9. I don't think IE9 will be fully compatible with earlier Operating systems. Wasn't it developed to work on Vista and the new Windows 8?

Although later browser upgrades may not be available for earlier operating systems, you can upgrade, with a little research, to the most relevant upgrade (also for free). Eventually, everyone needs a new computer. That's just technology; computers usually break or die before someone actually needs a new one (Murphy's Law of computers). Until then, the vast majority of FunTrivia shall be functional, for free, and anything not functional, within reason and beyond browser upgrade issues, will be attended to to make it accessible, because we want this place to remain Fun. wink

Edited by kyleisalive (Sat Jun 08 2013 08:28 PM)

#987323 - Sat Jun 08 2013 08:59 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I was pointing out that the steps being suggested to Buddy were steps not available on the earlier versions of IE. It does no good to tell someone to activate compatibility view if their browser has no ability to adjust for compatibility.

#987333 - Sat Jun 08 2013 09:25 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: mehaul]
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: mehaul
I was pointing out that the steps being suggested to Buddy were steps not available on the earlier versions of IE. It does no good to tell someone to activate compatibility view if their browser has no ability to adjust for compatibility.

Which is why I simply recommended a way to upgrade to the latest browser. If their computer can not run it (which it should) then there are links from those pages to find the newest-possible one.

#987351 - Sat Jun 08 2013 11:13 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

It took hours (because I had some updates to install before it would let me install Internet Explorer 9) but I finally go it. I can now access quizzes in any mode I want, provided it is an option. Now all that's left is changing the toolbars to meet my personal needs. I still think it's strange that this entire thing happened even though nothing seemed to prompt this change.

#987361 - Sun Jun 09 2013 06:19 AM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: Buddy1
It took hours (because I had some updates to install before it would let me install Internet Explorer 9) but I finally go it. I can now access quizzes in any mode I want, provided it is an option. Now all that's left is changing the toolbars to meet my personal needs. I still think it's strange that this entire thing happened even though nothing seemed to prompt this change.

Wonderful!

It could've been any number of changes to the site, all of which are inevitable not only as FT moves forward, but as the internet itself does. You should be caught up upgrade-wise for a long while. smile

#987604 - Mon Jun 10 2013 09:06 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
My desktop computer automatically adds most upgrades, so I don't think about it too often. My laptop does not, and since I don't use it often, it can get very far behind. Last year it just stopped working on almost all websites, even the simplest, and when we checked we found that I needed over 100 upgrades - it took two days to get everything up to date (and, yes, just the free upgrades). It really is worthwhile to keep up on these things.

#987609 - Mon Jun 10 2013 10:27 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Hmm there must be an HTML error on that page, I suspect, that the old version of IE wasn't quite so forgiving loading.

#987610 - Mon Jun 10 2013 10:27 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Buddy, do you remember exactly where the page stopped loading?

On the following page, where PRECISELY would the page stop?

http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/ForChildren/Why-is-the-Sky-Blue-360302.html

Thx

#987612 - Mon Jun 10 2013 11:14 PM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: Buddy1]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Everything from the quiz introduction on down is what I would not see. So, I wouldn't see "Asking questions is the best way..." on down. No Quiz Game mode link, Flash game mode, HTML mode, no ads. All just the blue blackground screen.
However, I would see the "10 qns rated Easy" and "by adam36" and that section of text and everything above that.

Edited by Buddy1 (Mon Jun 10 2013 11:16 PM)

#987631 - Tue Jun 11 2013 04:58 AM Re: Playing Quizzes [Re: kyleisalive]
thelancinator Offline
Participant

Loc: Colorado USA
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
I don't mean to rebut or anything, but upgrading your browser is a necessity not only on FT but on many other sites simply because the internet is constantly being expanded and upgraded with new things. By upgrading your browser and any plug-ins you'll be able to access any new content FT releases. It's free to do and as easy as clicking a few buttons in your browser. Some people on FT run older versions and they work for quite a while, but as new things start to appear, people will need to upgrade.

The three answers you outlined are likely the most prominent because most people are upgrading their browsers and the issue likely is just stemming from that.

Just to add to what you said, which is good advice, another real and important reason to upgrade your browser is a matter of security for your PC. There are many exploits out there that target people with old browsers because the entities that distribute those browsers (Google, MS, Mozilla, etc.) no longer update them with security patches.

So if for no other reason, that should be enough to make you want to keep your browser up to date along with all the latest security patches for it (as well as any major OS security updates as well).
I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
Jack Sparrow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry