Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#987926 - Wed Jun 12 2013 10:08 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: gracious1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Originally Posted By: gracious1
Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher

How about "Champ of Champs": Any top 10 place in a champs division (over all games) gets you some points, using the Formula 1 grid of 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1, dailies double the amount. Catch 10,000 Champ points to win.

Could you rephrase this? Can't parse. Thanks.

The suggestion is that first place gets 25 points, second gets 18, down to tenth place getting one point. That is suggested to apply for the hourly games, with twice as many points allocated for the daily games, which you cannot play nearly as often to garner your points.

#988036 - Thu Jun 13 2013 08:43 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I really like this Champs idea. smile

(Plus, another vote for all Champs divisions to require the 50K megabadge :P)

#988062 - Thu Jun 13 2013 10:10 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: Terry
For players with the "won your division" and mega badge? (so the harder competition is no extra burden on them). Thoughts?

I'm sure you meant to include the Monthly as well, in being a factor for the Champs division.

#988274 - Thu Jun 13 2013 11:05 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
lorance79 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra A.C.T. Australia     
I think a champion Mind Melt division as in other games is only fair.

And I really like the Champ of Champs idea. Although for some reason, the name doesn't gel with me. Meta-Champ?

#988277 - Thu Jun 13 2013 11:14 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
We could call it Tournament of Champions, and the badge is Grand Champion? Something along those lines perhaps.

#988280 - Thu Jun 13 2013 11:50 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
Ghosttowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Tonopah Nevada USA          
Would you also have to have the monthly Mind Melt badge too before entering the Champs Division?

#988634 - Sat Jun 15 2013 12:40 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
If you're altering MM a bit, how about adding in the 20-point floor for timed games to it?

#988648 - Sat Jun 15 2013 03:32 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: ssabreman]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: ssabreman
Originally Posted By: Terry
For players with the "won your division" and mega badge? (so the harder competition is no extra burden on them). Thoughts?

I'm sure you meant to include the Monthly as well, in being a factor for the Champs division.

Yes, it makes sense it should require that all five Mind-Melt badges be won to become a Champion.

#988690 - Sat Jun 15 2013 08:54 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Yes. The game's been around over 3 years. There are enough players to support two, if not, three divisions. Just be sure they have 50K badge, too. I'd hate to see a repeat of the WAI debacle.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#988794 - Sun Jun 16 2013 09:25 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
crusafontia Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: New Brunswick Canada
I was thinking of a promotion/relegation system for divisions similar to what they use in soccer leagues. Top three players in each division get promoted (top 3 finishers in the top champions' division would earn a badge of course, perhaps with an extra tag denoting times won if won multiple times.) and the bottom three finishers are relegated.

The game itself would remain the same, but competition/participation incentives would be maintained for all players overall and within divisions themselves throughout the month. For example, first place may be out of reach, but participation/playing well would be necessary to avoid relegation.

#989192 - Tue Jun 18 2013 04:34 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
(Confession: I am hesitant to see any changes whatsoever to the current Mind Melt set up. It's my favourite game on the site and you can bet that I have had a strange day if I haven't played it. And I think it's perfect the way it is! smile )

That said, if changes and tweaks are being made, can I put in a plea that if a new version of the game is made as a reward for champs then there should still be an option for the champs to play the original game, albeit in a division of their own. It would be a shame for fans to lose a game just because they like playing it.

And if Wes's idea for a new, more stretching version of the game is not being used as the new Champ division game, might it be a good idea to develop the idea as a Gold Member perk - the Mind Melt Gold edition? or as Level Perk/Bonus or a Champ Perk - not as a replacement but an added extra game like Pot of Gold etc.

I think Mind Melt fans would relish a second and different game. As long as I am never forced out of playing the existing one as is, I would definitely love it!

P.S. laugh LooneyTunes, 180-200 seconds isn't slow, it's great! I pat myself on the back for those times, and play the national anthem and award myself a medal when I get faster ones!

Edited by Chavs (Tue Jun 18 2013 03:31 PM)

#994180 - Tue Jul 02 2013 10:25 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
I think there should definitely be some more incentive for playing games in which you already have the badge(s). I'm reluctant to play those games because I hate watching my ELO score go down and down and down, with nothing to show for it at the end of the day/month. I DO play them because I want to help my team score points, but only specific topics, and if I get a good score early in the day, why bother playing anymore?

I just got the Mind Melt badge and was surprised there wasn't a champion division. I think I'm opposed to playing a different game just because you're a champion. You don't do that in any other game. You play the same game, just are ranked against different people.

You do have a champion of champion badge of sorts, in the Triathlon game. You could do something similar with the daily games, call it a Quadrathlon badge or something, the combined scores from Daily Game, New Question Game, Mind Melt, and Who Am I. It means more when it's a one-time thing, too, instead of a slogging to get points thing. Any idiot can slog through to get points. When you score the most points on the day in all four games, THEN you've done something.

How long do I have to wait for a response to a private message on the feedback form? You guys are usually right on the ball to comments in here, but it was a complaint about a specific player, so I made it private.

William/Hairy

#994219 - Wed Jul 03 2013 03:37 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: HairyBear]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: HairyBear
I think there should definitely be some more incentive for playing games in which you already have the badge(s). I'm reluctant to play those games because I hate watching my ELO score go down and down and down, with nothing to show for it at the end of the day/month. I DO play them because I want to help my team score points, but only specific topics, and if I get a good score early in the day, why bother playing anymore?

ELO scores can be disheartening, I agree; I would like to see a 'Personal Best' option for all games, where you can see your personal best on each game, or you are at least alerted if you break your own record.

Developing that idea further: There could be a badge for breaking 5 or 10 or X Personal Bests, but to make it really meaningful it would be a Level Bonus Challenge, maybe for people at Level 100? (Because people will have scored some high scores by that stage.)

Quote:
...instead of a slogging to get points thing. Any idiot can slog through to get points...

I think it takes some commitment and dedication to 'slog' through games just to get a huge amount of points for a badge, and if one is an idiot wink it probably takes more commitment and dedication than ever. It also acts as a long service badge marking individual achievement rather than a race against other players. So it's a hard won and deserved badge.

Sometimes, no matter how brainy one is, one simply does not have the human power or even technology to beat the top speeds posted by other players, and a lot of these champion-style badges require super-speed that even if achieved can be thwarted by just one other superhuman player.

Got to have the mix! smile

Edited by Chavs (Wed Jul 03 2013 03:41 AM)

#994402 - Wed Jul 03 2013 09:15 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Long needed. Again, just be sure they have all of the badges first before being Champs. Still have nasty flashbacks from the WAI Champs experience in getting the 50K badge.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#1060750 - Fri Aug 22 2014 11:19 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: cubswin2323]
nasty_liar Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England UK
Is it time to revisit this again?

Perhaps someone can explain to me in detail how question sets are assigned, but it seems that the divisions are made by amount of mind melt points? Or is it by level? Either way, if you wind up having many points or high level then you are up against the top, top players and have practically no chance of winning the 'win your question set' badge whatever that's called in mind melt.

Is it time to put those who have that winners badge plus the 50k points one in their own sets?

#1060871 - Sat Aug 23 2014 04:07 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

If Wes's idea of a variant on the game was offered as an option (not replacement) that could also be an incentive to be a champion. I love mind melt. I never look forward to being a champ in any game because it means I never stand a chance of being near the top of any result table again. I like having the choice of playing the untimed/timed mind melt, and easy/hard in who am I, etc -- and would hate to lose that. Having three versions available in the champ division would definitely be a nice way to reward rather than penalise loyalty to a game or expertise.

Oops!! I thought this was a brand new thread, didn't realise it was an old one revisited! Well, looks like I have already had a lot to say on it. Sorry to repeat myself...

Edited by Chavs (Sat Aug 23 2014 04:12 AM)

#1060926 - Sat Aug 23 2014 08:26 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
myself...myself...myself...myself...myself...myself...

It is difficult when you get lost in the canyons that are called FT Forums. Don't despair, help is on the way.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Aug 23 2014 08:28 AM)

#1062195 - Sat Aug 30 2014 06:34 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: nasty_liar]
nasty_liar Offline
Forum Adept

I hate to repeat myself too (myself, myself), almost as much as I hate to recycle someone else's joke, but can anyone explain how the current sets are assigned and if it is how I think it is (based on mind melt points cumulative total) then I think it might be time for a champs division. Can anyone shed any light on mind melt for me?

#1062223 - Sat Aug 30 2014 09:27 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
I thought the current sets are assigned randomly. Yesterday, I was assigned Set #22 despite having over 50,000 Mind Melt points.

Edited by Buddy1 (Sat Aug 30 2014 09:27 AM)

#1062235 - Sat Aug 30 2014 11:40 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
TimBentley Offline
Explorer

Loc: Indiana USA
It appears that sets 1 to 5 are for untimed and sets 6 to 15 are for less than 5000 melting points. There doesn't seem to be any separation based on having 50000 points.

#1062267 - Sat Aug 30 2014 04:14 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Buddy1]
nasty_liar Offline
Forum Adept

I thought it was random too until a teammate of mine pointed out that it is in fact more like TimBentley suggests, sets 6-15 for less than 5000 mind melt points and from then you can be pitched against the incredible best players and if you haven't managed to win the 'mind melt' badge by thus point it becomes near enough impossible against the super duper players that are spread across the higher sets. So is it time for a seperate set or two for the players that have all the mind melt badge collection?

#1062285 - Sat Aug 30 2014 05:39 PM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
This discussion died nearly 2 years ago without being resolved. Newbies can win the Monthly in their first month or two.

See this post.

http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/835077/Re:_About_the_CHAMP_Classifica#Post835077

#1062316 - Sun Aug 31 2014 01:04 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: ssabreman]
nasty_liar Offline
Forum Adept

Thank you for directing me to that sabreman, I didn't know that Terry had already agreed to do it nearly two years ago. So all we need to do is say pretty please like those folks that wanted some extra badges just for playing knockout did then!

Ok, this is my proposal for Terry (that it looks like he already agreed to in principle). Create a couple of 'champs' sets in mind melt for players that have won all available mind melt badges similar to sets 11 and 12 in the daily game. Then randomise all other sets.

Edited by nasty_liar (Sun Aug 31 2014 01:05 AM)
Edit Reason: To correct my horrendous spelling

#1062336 - Sun Aug 31 2014 05:16 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Pretty please, Terry, don't do that. MindMelt is difficult enough without making it impossible. I understand the problem with the different levels of points awarded in different methods of playing the game - we suffered from that for years in WAI - but the answer is not to make an already difficult game even harder for the people who have slogged at it and beaten all-comers to get all the badges. What needs sorting out is the points system across all divisions.

#1062354 - Sun Aug 31 2014 08:54 AM Re: Time for a a Mind Melt Champ div? [Re: Terry]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I don't yet have my 50,000 megabadge for Mind Melt but it's one of my better games. It'll be super-fast for me to dominate this game if all the champs are off in their own divisions, so if you're all ready for that, then I guess that's a thing. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Terry