Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#987854 - Wed Jun 12 2013 02:21 PM Too much time on FunTrivia?
Tizzabelle Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Of course, there is no such thing as too much time on FunTrivia, but every so often you realise how much FT has infiltrated into your psyche. What gave you a clue that you were spending quite a bit of time on FT?

It happened to me today. I collect a certain brand of vintage brooches. Two arrived in the mail today and as I was opening the parcel I thought "Oh, my new badge is here!". Then I realised I said 'badge' rather than 'brooch"! Not that I collect badges to any extent… wink

#987871 - Wed Jun 12 2013 03:02 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I sometimes catching myself about to identify myself as GG on completely non-FT related stuff.

#987873 - Wed Jun 12 2013 03:10 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Multiloquent

I'm laughing with you GG because I've done similar. laugh

#987884 - Wed Jun 12 2013 04:37 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I've avoided playing games or watching TV shows because when I calculate the amount of quizzes I can see myself writing for them, it seems too daunting in the moment.

#987895 - Wed Jun 12 2013 06:39 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I took a personal hiatus (still on a partial one) from this site. It was interfering with my "real world" (whatever that means).

This isn't really related to trivia, per se, but just for the record, has anyone felt a weird compulsion to say "lol" out loud (I don't mean literally laughing, I mean the acro lol)?

~
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#987909 - Wed Jun 12 2013 08:56 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
I've been here nearly three years now and I'm on my third relationship... I'm convinced that there must be a correlation in there somewhere!

It's not that I'm commitment shy; after all, I was married (to the same one) for 27 years!

#987925 - Wed Jun 12 2013 09:56 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
I've tried signing into my email with my FT password...then wondered why it didn't work...

As soon as I here or see something new or interesting I start mapping out quizzes in my mind...

The first thing I do when I get back from classes is to check FT...

I find myself quoting something funny that I read on FT...

...and more.

laugh

#988009 - Thu Jun 13 2013 05:34 AM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
Been here too long to now not be here...Ive been visting this site since the beginning of the forums back in 1999 and I think the only time I don't check in on a daily basis is when I'm on holiday, but that has changed recently since the invention of smart phones and ipads !!

#988016 - Thu Jun 13 2013 06:44 AM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I am on here maybe 10 times a day, every day. Just checking......like Joe, since 1999

#988018 - Thu Jun 13 2013 06:52 AM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

I am generally only on here once a day, for about 14 hours. smile

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#988020 - Thu Jun 13 2013 06:56 AM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
It is my homepage. smile

#988021 - Thu Jun 13 2013 07:10 AM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Multiloquent

Jakeroo, I once said, out loud, 'Lol' then realised what I'd done! I haven't done it for a few years, but I've almost put smiley faces in my patient's medical notes e.g." Improving today smile " Not very professional... Lol wink

#988030 - Thu Jun 13 2013 08:21 AM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
My daughter tells me that lots of teenage girls say "lol" as a word, using it in speech just as they would in text. She does it herself sometimes, though usually in an ironic sort of way.

#988126 - Thu Jun 13 2013 12:58 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
I cannot get away. I often wake up, and realize that I played lots of games and quizzes in my sleep. crazy (Alas, my point totals don't reflect my dream efforts. tongue)

#988228 - Thu Jun 13 2013 05:37 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
paul4760 Offline
Participant

Loc: Iowa USA
I see a commercial on television and wonder what ad agency wrote it.

#988239 - Thu Jun 13 2013 06:28 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Multiloquent

postcards, when I was going for the Gold Member Monthly badge, I played several games in my sleep. I would wake up thinking I'd already played the current set, only to wake up properly and realise I had a few minutes left to do so. I've been known to get into bed, realise I hadn't played GC and it would end soon, so got up out of bed to play the current set. Sleep deprivation, thy name is FunTrivia wink

#988244 - Thu Jun 13 2013 06:50 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
Yes, I've woken up in the middle of the night, with minutes left, as well.

The time factor also overwhelms my psyche crazy I've been out and about, looked at the time, and had the urge to churn out five words for an unknown Crystal Ball. 40 minutes past the hour? Can I get the Expert? Top of the hour, time to look at the Quiz of the Hour. Etc.,Etc.! It never ends grin

#988249 - Thu Jun 13 2013 07:50 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Or you see a '**' somewhere and instantly think 'Beauty. Extra bonus advance if I can get 10 in less than 130'...

#988428 - Fri Jun 14 2013 02:33 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
This has been my longest 'job' as I was buffeted around a tad bit. (stop laughing you lot!) I'm very proud to be associated with this site that's existed well before all the Facebook and Myspace etc. I always have said it's wonderful to have helped provide a place that's safe, educational and amusing for people of all ages all this time.

Like Sisterseagull, it's outlived one um, rather long relationship. It's on my list of conditions for a date with Bruyere though, love me love my Funtrivia family. (Happy to add it's been fulfilled and new pretendant knew the trivia about Cinderella's glass slipper story and got immediate points for that!) It's also in my will to notify you.

I don't spend quite as much time as I used to. I was put on hold at one job and got permission to do my quiz activity at work once. I edited a few hours a day then. It required more hours to get things done then and now we have many streamlined functions. Our team is really great as well.

Oh, you wanted a short answer? An hour or two a day?

#988538 - Sat Jun 15 2013 03:33 AM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
I don't spend as much time as I used to do on the Forums (I used to really love "tag-teaming" in the Chain Games area, especially with Gatsby and Santana smile ) but time-committments and real life has slowed down my Funtrivia time a little. But a value all my Funtrivia family, it's the first proper forum I joined (nearly ten years ago ... shocked ) when we got the Internet at home, and you've all been there for me through hard times smile Long may Funtrivia continue xxx

#988545 - Sat Jun 15 2013 05:47 AM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I remember those days only too well, JM, we had lots of fun! Now that I'm back working fulltime I have way less time to come on here, though I check in at least once a day just to browse the forums.

When do you know you are spending too much time here? When you start dreaming up answers or challenges for chain games from the second you open your eyes, and that last turn on the chains lasts for one more post, then another, then another .... until about an hour (or more) has passed ...

#988575 - Sat Jun 15 2013 09:01 AM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
What I find amazing is the number of real life friendships made through this site, why only this coming Monday I have that old bat from Hong Kong descending on me. smile

#988653 - Sat Jun 15 2013 04:27 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I've been here since 2008. Started with a private tournament on a book club forum, then I tried the site for a couple of months before buying Gold membership. Then I joined a team, at that stage things were still manageable. Half an hour here, ten minutes there, then I wrote my first quiz and things sort of snowballed from there. Even if I don't always play anything I check in 10 or 12 times a day just to see if any of the team need anything from me, see what is happening here in Forums, has my newest quiz gone on line yet, that sort of thing. Have a two or three hour session playing all the games etc. late at night as I am a bit of an isomniac, and it is something I can do without disturbing anyone else in the house.

I agree with Sue on the real life friendships, and also the communication with people all over the world. I've learnt more about life in other countries since joining this site than I ever did in any school lessons or anywhere else.

#988661 - Sat Jun 15 2013 04:44 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: Tizzabelle]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I so agree Christine about learning about places. I have found it really helpful as , although Hong Kong is my home, I need the contact with people with whom I can truly communicate in my language, (even strange people in the Channel Islands),especially after a long day spent trying to get through to people who don't. Ft makes it much easier to wind down .

#988694 - Sat Jun 15 2013 09:22 PM Re: Too much time on FunTrivia? [Re: ren33]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Originally Posted By: sue943
why only this coming Monday I have that old bat from Hong Kong descending on me. smile

Originally Posted By: ren33
I need the contact with people with whom I can truly communicate in my language, (even strange people in the Channel Islands)

You also learn how much people really care about one another. wink Hope y'all have fun in Jersey next week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943