Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#987859 - Wed Jun 12 2013 02:30 PM Question Pools
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
In looking at the site as a whole and thinking about what to work on next, I think that tidying up and improving the question pools for games is my next project.

So to get started, I'd be curious to hear some responses to some of these questions:

- Which game(s) do you think could use question pool attention?

- Are there any games (other than the easy game) that have the same questions come up FAR too often?

- Which games present to you questions that are far too obscure / boring / irrelevant? Which categories in "who's the expert" have significant question pool issues?

- To help me work out what IS working, which game(s) do you think DO present balanced, interesting, varied question pools?

I will read all responses and consider them as I try to tweak things for the better.

Thanks

Edited by Terry (Wed Jun 12 2013 02:33 PM)

#987864 - Wed Jun 12 2013 02:38 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Well, we say it whenever we get a chance....

We could add a video games mixture section in expert. :P

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#987866 - Wed Jun 12 2013 02:42 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: salami_swami]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: salami_swami
Well, we say it whenever we get a chance....

We could add a video games mixture section in expert. :P

This. smile
And in Team Heroes. We have teams dedicated to gaming, but no gaming possibilities for dailies/hourlies (except for the odd question in PoG).

In addition, it would be nice to simply give the question pools a jump-start. The last couple of years have brought a great number of Sci-Fi Lit quizzes to the table, but I'm not sure a lot of them have made their way into Expert in a significant way.

It would be nice for the Change the Expert option to list all categories available rather than cutting them off. There are many we can only get by waiting while the same ones switch out over and over.

Edited by kyleisalive (Wed Jun 12 2013 02:55 PM)

#987868 - Wed Jun 12 2013 02:46 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I'd like to see more Sports and less Tolkien in Expert smile

#987869 - Wed Jun 12 2013 02:52 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Yes, I agree with the Change the Expert option. It's weirdly ordered, and the P's and beyond are cut off.

I'd like to see them all available, and more options.

But keep Tolkien. I FINALLY watched the movies and read a bit on it, and stand a chance now. wink lol.

#987870 - Wed Jun 12 2013 03:01 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I'd like to see more Expert categories too, such as TV categories. Simpsons and Friends both have huge question pools, or even just TV Mixture.

#987872 - Wed Jun 12 2013 03:07 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Disclaimer: Personal opinion, yadda yadda... smile

Working well:

Pot of Gold
World Quiz (*)
Daily Mixed
Knockout (**)
Hourly Mix
Team vs Team

Could use improvement, to varying degrees:

Smartest - do we have enough material to move this to be at least partially QQ questions by now?
Obscure - same thing. Give the difficult QQ a home and de-clump the game. Getting 3 questions from the same quiz isn't that great
Global Challenge - should definitely add some QQ to increase the pool
Team Heroes - variety is good but difficulty could use a rebalance. I'd like to see fewer topics where only 14s and 15s (and thus essentially speed) count. Maybe the question pool cutoff for this game could be dynamically adjusted, i.e. when a game ends >1400 over all Heroes, it tries to pick tougher questions the next time the category comes up and vice versa for those that end under 1100.
Fill Me In - could use an upgrade to ensure it won't pick as many questions that are "true/false", "native or not", etc - essentially 2-way MC in FMI format.
Brain Twist - maybe an option for the player to choose easy / hard (with the latter scoring higher)? I miss the really hard Twists.

Needs big improvements:

Private tournaments. They're still on the old, static database and this not only causes quite a bunch of bogus corrections but also means we miss out on all the great questions from the last years.

(*) It's a good pool as such, but inherently very similar to PoG Thursday. Maybe mix it up a bit - it could for example do with a similar rotation as PoG with questions 11-16 (possibly 9, 10, 17 and 18 as well) taken from a single continent each day except Mix Saturday, e.g. Monday is Europe day, Tuesday is Australia, etc. Same distribution in the long run but a more varied gameplay.
(**) There's a bit of improvement possible here in the high ranks - maybe gradually up the average difficulty some more for those with 100+ KOs. Top division games still average about 19 for correct. Only an issue for top 3-5 divisions. 10 and beyond look very good. So no need for big changes.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Wed Jun 12 2013 05:07 PM)

#987874 - Wed Jun 12 2013 03:23 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I agree with just about everything Wes has said.

#987885 - Wed Jun 12 2013 04:43 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
Anton Offline
Mainstay

Loc: California USA
What Wesley says is the truth except for two parts. One is Heroes. There is already a good balance of speed games vs non-speed games. I'd say the latter outweighs the former already, so no need to change that. Sure, I could moan about why topics like Authors H-K, or whatever the lettering is, are kept in rotation when 90% of the site struggles and the other 10% spends three minutes and gets them all right, earning them the top spots of the leaderboard. But, I won't. I accept it as part of the game. Some topics are hits and some are misses. That is what Heroes is and should be.

The other is KO. My sets are already hard enough. I have no idea what questions you get, Wesley. I have never been in the single digit brackets. But, I do know which ones I get being in the teens most of the time. To make the already tough sets harder because the players in my bracket and I have some arbitrary number of KO points is unfair. Since the game is set up so that most of the time we are placed with players with about the same amount of experience in the game, KO does not need to be changed either.

#987886 - Wed Jun 12 2013 04:49 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I get 19 right very rarely in KO. I usually get 15 or so. Making it more difficult would be... Unfortunate. wink

#987887 - Wed Jun 12 2013 04:52 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Anton, you're correct. In the tournaments #10 and up, the scores look good. It's really pretty much only the top 3 to 5 divisions that have the 19+ problem. In #1 or 2, 18 right in 100 is a loss more often than a win. So less of a problem than I thought.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Wed Jun 12 2013 04:53 PM)

#987897 - Wed Jun 12 2013 06:59 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
George95 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ontario Canada
I would definately like to see more Sports and Video Games in Who's The Expert. Not because I'm good at them (especially in VG), but because it's unfair that they aren't included. Considering Comic Books and Comic Strips come up, I think that some obscure categories are already included.

The team games don't need adjustment when it comes to questions. Maybe adding Sports and VG's categories to Heroes would be a nice addition. While I'm on the subject, is it true that if a subcategory grows over a certain number of quizzes, it's excluded from Heroes? If so, I wouldn't say no to seeing that gone.

I haven't played FMI lately, but I do remember getting a limited number of questions. Like Wes said, trying to limit the True/False Yes/No questions can be useful. It's much easier to get the FMI badges by answering T or Y for all 10 answers, than typing out what UNESCO stands for.

Well I think that's all I got for now. While I'm at it, the laundry needs doing....

#987899 - Wed Jun 12 2013 07:26 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Sci Fi minus Star Wars in Expert and Team v Team, definitely, unless this has already been done. I'm very open to more variety in these games - it's OK to have a rather obscure topic come up now and then, even if only one or two teams would really benefit that day. Personally, I'd love to see real category expansion in Expert, and maybe a badge for, oh, 200 or 250 categories. I used to love playing that game while I was shooting for the badges, but now I never play.

#987905 - Wed Jun 12 2013 08:35 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Could something be done toward getting our own dictionary?

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#987907 - Wed Jun 12 2013 08:47 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
sisterseagull Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
I think that out of all the games on the site, the 'International' game has possibly the worst question pool. I've played it regularly over my three years or so of membership and if I see the questions about Lot's wife, Drosophila melanogaster, and that Otorhinolaryngowhatchamacallit again... I shall spit! haha

I also think that there are a few games in which questions that have been drawn from quizzes are disjointed, obscure and rather confusing. They have no context and, I for one, would like to see the back of them.

Many thanks!

#987911 - Wed Jun 12 2013 08:58 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: WesleyCrusher]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
I would like to say that I would like to see the GC stay as it is with asking questions only from quizzes. I have used GC to hone my skills in certain areas by taking the quizzes after each set. If there is no attached quiz, then I can't do that any more, obviously.

Same thing with the Gold Madness game.

#987914 - Wed Jun 12 2013 09:08 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
gracious1 Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
Some other thoughts:

Re "Who's The Expert" - I would like to be able to pick "Triple Crown" (horse racing) in Change the Future. Right now, it doesn't show up.

Re "Who's The Smartest" - have you considered redividing the divisions? Packing so many people into 68-200 makes it really imbalanced. Maybe divide it up like Expert? 62-80, 81-110, 111-200

Re "International" - I wouldn't mind seeing the question database improved, but I don't want to see those games go away. I actually don't mind that some of the questions seem random since you get the same score whether you get the questions right or wrong. I see it as good practice for other games.

Re "World Quiz" - I wouldn't want to see a focus on a particular continent each day, because then it will be like Pot of Gold, where there will be predictable days I'm guaranteed to do well and days I will always do poorly, no matter what. I like the unpredictability better.

#987917 - Wed Jun 12 2013 09:18 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
habitsowner Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
What good ideas all of you have. I have to say, "Wes, I agree with most of what you say" and "George, it's nice of you to try to be fair, but...bit your tongue about VG". I also agree with mehaul about the need of a different/better dictionary.

On the other hand, if something's not broken...

I happen to enjoy FT right now. Will I enjoy it more if changes are made? Who knows, but there is always a chance that we won't be real happy with the changes compared to the "Old FT". So, beware.

Lee

#987918 - Wed Jun 12 2013 09:20 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I still have an issue with the New Question Game pool. While I appreciate the importance of it, the mistakes in the game lead me to think it should not be a team game. Losing team points for an incorrect question/answer is pretty frustrating. And I am another vote for expanding Heroes and Expert. I would love to see a lot more baseball and TV with The West Wing as a category. I am not sure why they would be any more obscure than some of the Author quizzes or British trains (or whatever that hellish category is called, lol).

Edited by bubblesfun (Wed Jun 12 2013 09:22 PM)

#987930 - Wed Jun 12 2013 10:28 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
This may be impossible to implement, but one thing I would really like to be able to do is to play many of those categories outside the selected 5 in GC. Obviously not for GC credit - your first 5 games must count. But it would be nice just to have fun with some of those question sets that don't crop up anywhere else.

It's not a big issue though :-)

#987937 - Wed Jun 12 2013 11:04 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Well I'm starting with the easy stuff and taking it from there: just added single question question pool to Who's the Smartest.

Right now it's 100% new questions just so I can test it out (and you guys will let me know what you think of the avg difficulty).

What I will do though is have a random distribution... so 50% of the time you'll get the quiz DB and 50% of the time the single qn database, giving a big variety of stuff.

#987938 - Wed Jun 12 2013 11:10 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: bubblesfun]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: bubblesfun
I still have an issue with the New Question Game pool. While I appreciate the importance of it, the mistakes in the game lead me to think it should not be a team game. Losing team points for an incorrect question/answer is pretty frustrating. And I am another vote for expanding Heroes and Expert. I would love to see a lot more baseball and TV with The West Wing as a category. I am not sure why they would be any more obscure than some of the Author quizzes or British trains (or whatever that hellish category is called, lol).

Agree. New Qn game will never be a team game.

In fact, I have tried to make it as non-competitive as possible, which is why there aren't timed badges there.

The entire point of that game is to help grade questions for difficulty. I want to discourage cheating / looking up answers / etc as much as possible so that we get the most accurate data possible.

Re: Expert: yes, there are a number of changes that I'll make there. I'll finish smartest/easy game first then get to expert.

#987941 - Wed Jun 12 2013 11:32 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
"Agree. New Qn game will never be a team game."

Wait, I am confused. New Questions IS a team game with team points at stake.

#987943 - Wed Jun 12 2013 11:37 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: bubblesfun]
Terry Online   FT-blank

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: bubblesfun
"Agree. New Qn game will never be a team game."

Wait, I am confused. New Questions IS a team game with team points at stake.

Wow, that's right. Hah. I guess it must have inherited the team vs team stuff because it used the same template as some of the other TVT stuff did.

Not sure why I ever kept that in there, as it IS philosophically against the intent of the New Qn game.

Does anyone much even look at the team vs team stuff in the new qn game? Or discuss it?

#987944 - Wed Jun 12 2013 11:38 PM Re: Question Pools [Re: Terry]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
Would like to see ALL questions regarding Survivor stricken from the record, Your Honor.;)

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  Terry