Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#988839 - Sun Jun 16 2013 01:01 PM "My Daily Quiz"/Daily Challenge Ambiguity
gscookie Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
One of today's Daily Challenges was to complete the My Daily Quiz, getting 9 or 10 questions correct. However, one of the questions in the mix had only a 25% possibility of being answered correctly because there was NO CONTEXT for the question. Because I had little chance of correctly answering that particular question AND I answered another question incorrectly, I failed the challenge.

I can deal with the failure, but I don't think it is fair for a question with ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE OF ITS CONTEXT to show up in a mixed quiz with challenge success riding on answering correctly. While I understand that questions are probably randomly generated, there still should be a fighting chance at being successful. Thank you for your time and consideration of this matter.

Here is the question that appeared in the My Daily Quiz to which I am referring:

#5. General : Common Bond 15 Questions : Welcome to the House of Commons Part B

Well, there they are. All 14 questions are based on the same theme, and you probably got enough right answers to figure it out. Just pick the best one of these:

characters in TV westerns
comic book characters
western movies
names on a map

#988845 - Sun Jun 16 2013 01:54 PM Re: "My Daily Quiz"/Daily Challenge Ambiguity [Re: gscookie]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I got that question today, too, and sent a correction note on it asking that it be removed from the pool. I'm not sure, however, where the My Daily Quiz questions come from, so that may be more difficult than removing such questions from the timed games (when they appear and have corrections sent about them) is.

#988978 - Sun Jun 16 2013 06:31 PM Re: "My Daily Quiz"/Daily Challenge Ambiguity [Re: looney_tunes]
gscookie Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Thanks so much for reinforcing what I was trying to explain. I was frustrated and having trouble finding a place to express that frustration. I appreciate the back-up, especially from someone with far more site cred than me!

#989001 - Sun Jun 16 2013 08:56 PM Re: "My Daily Quiz"/Daily Challenge Ambiguity [Re: looney_tunes]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Well, now, Terry recently removed Brain Teasers from the selection pool, to prevent a similar predicament. Maybe Common Bond questions need to be removed? Of course, in Common Bond Quizzes, really, the only problematic questions are the final question of each quiz, which is usually a fill-in-the-blank. So there would either have to be a requirement to have only FITB for the last question in Common Bond, or Common Bond quizzes would have to be removed from the pool altogether, I suppose.

#989004 - Sun Jun 16 2013 09:21 PM Re: "My Daily Quiz"/Daily Challenge Ambiguity [Re: gscookie]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
The Brain Teasers was from Gold Member Madness. This is from My Daily Quiz. I'm not sure how much of a difference there is, if there even is one.

#989622 - Thu Jun 20 2013 01:07 AM Re: "My Daily Quiz"/Daily Challenge Ambiguity [Re: gracious1]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
If the last question in Common Bond quizzes was restricted to being only Fill in the Blank, then new quiz makers would be able to submit a Common Bond quiz.

As to the problem question that started this thread, I would have guessed "place names" based on the quiz title.

And "does not fit" questions pop up in all the mixed Quizbot quizzes.

Moderator:  Terry