Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#990092 - Sat Jun 22 2013 12:38 AM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: nautilator]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Yes, as authors, we do appreciate those corrections. Sometimes, we only put a 4-letter word as an answer. Then someone gives us a 5-letter alternative, and we forget to amend the hint.

At least, that happens to me. wink

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#990267 - Sat Jun 22 2013 03:58 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: looney_tunes]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
When you see one of those, you should always send a correction, so that the hint can be amended.

Most FMI questions regarding people accept either their full or last names. There are however a few that accept their full names only, should correction notes be sent for those?

#990268 - Sat Jun 22 2013 04:06 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: nautilator]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Can I ask what the "big deal" is?

Either you got the question wrong or you got it right. Simple.

If the answer choices are UB20, 30, 40 or 50, which one would you pick (regardless of hints)? If you didn't pick 40, then don't shoot the piano player lol.

A player's relative "annoyance" tolerance factor MAY reflect in their rating of a quiz, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the question itself was improper according to the rulez.

And why is it that the people who generally complain the most about quizzes have written none (or few) themselves? lol

Corrections are a different topic altogether. Let's not try to compare apples to oranges.

I suspect there isn't a single (caring) quiz writer who WOULDN'T want to know that either facts or spelling/grammar were incorrect. "STYLE" of writing should rarely be a valid complaint. Have you been to an art gallery lately? lol

#990270 - Sat Jun 22 2013 04:26 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: nautilator]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I actually think that separating the hint off is even worse. That definitely reads to me as though the question is now "Which country is known for Mounties?", whereas incorporating the hint into the question means that players can answer it based on a few parameters. I try to supply hints in my questions that can eliminate one or more answers, but not always. Sometimes, like the "band with multiple of ten" example, it just pads the question out to make it a bit less dry. I believe it makes things interesting for people if they have a few angles from which to answer the question, but without making every question a "giveaway". But as Jakeroo says, it's everyone's 2c and is every author's choice.

#990302 - Sat Jun 22 2013 06:23 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: reeshy]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: reeshy
I actually think that separating the hint off is even worse. That definitely reads to me as though the question is now "Which country is known for Mounties?", whereas incorporating the hint into the question means that players can answer it based on a few parameters. I try to supply hints in my questions that can eliminate one or more answers, but not always. Sometimes, like the "band with multiple of ten" example, it just pads the question out to make it a bit less dry. I believe it makes things interesting for people if they have a few angles from which to answer the question, but without making every question a "giveaway". But as Jakeroo says, it's everyone's 2c and is every author's choice.

Well, that's fair, reeshy. It occurs to me now, in fact, if you give almost any hint at all, the question basically becomes more about the hint than about the main point of the question, no mstter how you structure it. I have noticed the same thing with "Jeopardy!" too. It's not a criticism of this site; it's just the trend with trivia in general. If you can get your hands on clips from the old "Jeopardy!", you'll see they don't add hints the way the current "Jeopardy!" does.

I think I tend to avoid hints unless I really think the question is so obscure that no one can answer it. Sometimes I will make a hint really subtle, though, and I'll append something like:
(Hint: read the question carefully!)

I suppose stylistically that will cost me ratings, but I think it makes sense to do it that way when the hint is subtle. My hope is that the player who doesn't know the answer will reread the question and figure out the hint rather than just make a wild guess.

Edited by gracious1 (Sat Jun 22 2013 06:26 PM)
Edit Reason: had an afterthought

#990305 - Sat Jun 22 2013 06:39 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: gracious1]
LadyCaitriona Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Honestly, I've done questions a few ways myself. With a hint in or out of the question sentence, or without a hint at all. Whichever way my mood strikes me at the time.

I think it's obvious just reading through this thread that some players prefer one way and other players prefer the exact opposite. As with many things on FT, you can't please 100% of the players 100% of the time.

If you don't like a question (or quiz) by all means rate it as such. It's honest feedback. Other players will be rating the question excellent for the same reasons you're rating it poor, so it will balance out in the end, I think.

However, please don't send correction notes on things that are a matter of personal preference or opinion. If it's something that hinders your ability to answer the question (the hint is wrong, e.g. number of letters in the answer) then please send one and the author or editor will correct it. For corrections that are sent on things that are opinions, however, we tend to keep things the way the author originally wrote them unless there is a very strong case for changing it.

Editor for Movies, Literature and For Children

#990306 - Sat Jun 22 2013 06:41 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: nautilator]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
I think I tend to avoid hints unless I really think the question is so obscure that no one can answer it. Sometimes I will make a hint really subtle, though, and I'll append something like:
(Hint: read the question carefully!)

See when I look at that I think to myself that either the question was written for me to be confused by, or I'm reading something redundant. Either way, I don't care for the hint. :p

One way I circumvent this sort of thing is by adding (Note: ...). It's not a hint, per se, and isn't presented as one, but if there's anything necessary that needs to be added to the question for context that isn't already in there, that's my alternate opportunity.

I'm not a fan of the hint-- I think a well-constructed question doesn't need the superfluous stuff.

#990308 - Sat Jun 22 2013 07:07 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: gracious1]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: gracious1
I think I tend to avoid hints unless I really think the question is so obscure that no one can answer it.

If it's a 'mounties-style' question, you could take the point as a "I've learned something new" question rather than a "Yeah I totally knew where baseball gloves were invented" question. I've written a number of questions like that for QQ.

Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona
However, please don't send correction notes on things that are a matter of personal preference or opinion. If it's something that hinders your ability to answer the question

Does a FMI which only accepts a person's full name rather than last name only fall under the former or the latter?

#990311 - Sat Jun 22 2013 07:31 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: nautilator]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
If a question clearly states that the full name is required, then players should expect to have to give the full name. (I know I feel irritated when I didn't know for sure how to spell someone's first name, for example Elizabeth or Elisabeth), and discover later that I could have just used the surname I knew.)

Confusion arises, however, because some newer questions, all of which are expected to have both full name and surname set as accepted correct answers, still ask for the full name within the question. Players get used to being able to enter only the surname, no matter what the question states is required. On that basis, it is worth bringing to the attention of an editor. We don't get many of this type of question in the categories where I edit, but when I do see one I try to make sure that the hint space indicates that either full name or surname is acceptable.

#990312 - Sat Jun 22 2013 07:51 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: looney_tunes]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
Players get used to being able to enter only the surname, no matter what the question states is required. On that basis, it is worth bringing to the attention of an editor.

Thanks -- this is in fact exactly what happpens on (rare) occasion in the hourly games. I'll keep that one in mind as well.

#990550 - Sun Jun 23 2013 01:36 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: nautilator]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
I try to encourage the format of full name or last name only but ask that the hint reflect that.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#990638 - Sun Jun 23 2013 04:02 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: nautilator]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Depends on the context of course though. If the question is "Which member of the Kennedy family did..?", accepting 'Kennedy' as the answer is a bit silly. In this case, full name or just first name would work better.

#990984 - Mon Jun 24 2013 01:14 PM Re: Hints That Are Not Hints [Re: guitargoddess]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Quote:
Depends on the context of course though.

Absolutely!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  agony