Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#989644 - Thu Jun 20 2013 04:42 AM Stampede!
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I live in a town of about 6000 in Western Canada, and this week it's time for one of our cherished traditions, stampede.

There's a four day rodeo. There's a carnival midway. There are cabarets, with dancing until dawn. There are pancake breakfasts, and beef on a bun lunches, in parking lots all over town. There's a Saturday morning parade, with half the kids in town riding floats, and the other half scrambling for candy thrown from those floats.

Last night was the kick-off, with Main Street blocked to traffic to make a mall. Chili cook-off, mini doughnuts, hot dogs. Mechanical bull. Bouncy castle and face painting. Dunk tank, with a good-natured RCMP constable getting very wet indeed. Cowboy hats, and boots. Kids older than eight or so running in packs, checking out anything that's free.

I'm on the board of our library, and this year we had a novel idea for our booth - a "book launch". Not quite the kind they have in New York or Frankfort, though. We got a three-man slingshot, some old damaged books, and a tarp with a big target painted on it. Kids could launch a book through the air, and if it landed on the bullseye, they'd win a book. If it didn't they got a lollipop, and meanwhile we were talking their parents into buying one of our raffle tickets. A silly idea, but a remarkably fun one - in the last hour when things were winding down, we had a gang of about ten kids permanently attached to us, launching their books amid high hilarity. Gave away a lot of books, and I think established a positive and distinctly non-dowdy image of the library in at least some young minds.

#989662 - Thu Jun 20 2013 05:52 AM Re: Stampede! [Re: agony]
golfmom08 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA        
The book launch sounds like a lot of fun! I might steal your idea for our school next Fall Festival! The rest of the stampede is probably not something to miss if you live close enough. Alas, I am in Florida.

#990900 - Mon Jun 24 2013 08:59 AM Re: Stampede! [Re: agony]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Speaking of rodeos, I find it interesting that Calgary still intends to host the Stampede, even though the barns/stampede grounds are submerged lol. Where there is a will, there is a way, so they say : ) Or is that where there is a will, there is an heir? I forget~.

Agony: sounds like a hoot! Good on you "guys" regarding the event/cause!
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

#990972 - Mon Jun 24 2013 12:31 PM Re: Stampede! [Re: agony]
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
Is there any truth in the rumoUr that during this years Stampede they'll be using seahorses and sea cows?

#990989 - Mon Jun 24 2013 01:55 PM Re: Stampede! [Re: agony]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Hah!!

But seriously, seahorses that are raised in captivity (such as in Texas and Tennessee) have regular "rodeos" where the youngsters are rounded up and put into holding tanks so that they can safely grow up/reproduce.
Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives, that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit, every minute of every day. Do it! I say. Whatever you want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows. ~Pope Paul VI

Moderator:  ren33, sue943