Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#990091 - Sat Jun 22 2013 12:32 AM Canadian flooding
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I know that the majority of Canadians don't like to make a fuss, but no thread on the devastating floods that are causing chaos in Western Canada?

The displacement of people, the huge amount of damage caused and the loss of so much that is personal would hit anyone hard, and it takes a long time to recover from.
Good luck to all involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23011539

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23000926

#990094 - Sat Jun 22 2013 12:43 AM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I just saw this on the news .. so devastating.
Hope all FTers are high and dry.

#990190 - Sat Jun 22 2013 07:44 AM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Canadians are generally surprised if they make international news at ALL lol
Thanks for the kind thoughts.

The flooding has now extended eastward as far as Winnipeg (I won't bother you with how far away that is from where I live), but I'm actually more concerned about Europe (the Elbe) and India (monsoons) where many deaths have been recorded. Hope everybody's okay in those places too.

If you were born and raised in Canada (especially folks MY age lol), you grew up "tough". Apparently even our pets are troopers lol. Here's a link for all people employed by cats...

Momo

#990193 - Sat Jun 22 2013 07:54 AM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

We know you are tough and unmelodramatic and unlikely to be running around in circles shrieking 'HelpHelpHelp' and frothing.
But you are being thought of, and remembered, and admired.
Few deaths in Canada, despite the catastrophe, probably because it is being handled well by individual citizens and communities looking out for each other.
And the Momo link is lovely!

#990250 - Sat Jun 22 2013 12:36 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Well, it is true that around 100,000 people have been forced to evacuate in the province. But it is also true (as Jabberwock said) that it isn't much of an imposition if folks volunteer. I have 5 extra people and 2 pets living in my house right now. But it's been fun actually (for me, because I love to cook for people - but perhaps not for the folks who couldn't afford or weren't allowed to buy flood insurance due to location after the floods of 2005). Edmonton sent 100 police and more than 400 army folks to help. But people in some countries might be surprised by the number of "ordinary" local people who helped in rescues and other assistance.

I'm not surprised at all : )

Edited by Jakeroo (Sat Jun 22 2013 12:41 PM)

#990251 - Sat Jun 22 2013 12:44 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I know a lot of people living down there, but everyone I know is on high enough ground to be safe, and therefore busy helping out others. My brother was intending to spend the weekend at a golf tournament but the campground they were to stay at has floated away.

Floods coming to Edmonton, too, Jakeroo, so I hear. Most of the city is high enough not to worry - there are only a few smallish communities in the river valley. It will probably hit the water treatment centre, though, so expect a boil water advisory.

#990261 - Sat Jun 22 2013 03:38 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Higher banks on the North Saskatchewan than either the Bow or the Elbow, but yes, the Gold Bar Water Treatment Plant could be an issue if things get worse. I'm surprised Calgary hasn't issued a "boil water" directive as of yet, considering the damages to their infrastructure (if the Saddledome is flooded to the 12th row of seating, what are they not telling us??).

In any case, Hubby is a (retired as of yesterday) firefighter and is "strangely" anal about this kind of stuff. So, the RV in the driveway (where 2 people and 2 pets are currently living) has I don't know how many liters of potable water in it already, along with propane for heat/cooking. We have 96 bottles of water in the garage. We have a woodburning fireplace if the gas goes out (it's been COLD here at nights!). Plus the bbq to cook on. We have enough flashlights and batteries to supply about 20 houses. 3 full propane tanks and all vehicles are full on gasoline. There is a generator on the property to keep things like the deep freeze running if the power goes out. We have a water barrel that is FULL (it has rained pretty much every day this month) which can be used to fill the toilet tanks so that they will flush if the water gets cut off. Flares at the ready in the boat as well. 2 kayaks in the garage if needed.

Oh, and I have my own private stash of toilet paper that nobody knows about (giggles)

#990264 - Sat Jun 22 2013 03:50 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Jakeroo, that sounds exactly like the way I was brought up!
Have a plan, a back up plan, a reserve plan and the kit to make them happen.
Likewise we were taught a number of arcane skills that come the apocalypse will be in great demand when all the technology goes pooof.
Those folks in the RV have had some good fortune to follow the bad.

#990299 - Sat Jun 22 2013 06:06 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
DivineMsDRL Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Okotoks Alberta Canada       
I live 20 minutes north of Momo's town and 20 minutes south of Calgary. We are still in a state of emergency. Our home is ok, as we live on a hill. A co-worker who lived in High River does not have a home anymore. His wife cries all the time. He was at work, and she had 30 minutes to evacuate with their 2 year old son. Our employer has graciously offered her fifth wheel and a place to locate it on the company property. He has had many offers of help and is so appreciative.

A friend told me yesterday that her friend went into labour and was evacuated via the scoop on a front end loader, then went via ambulance to a hospital in Calgary.

The destruction is nothing I could have ever imagined.

We, like Jakeroo and her hubby, have everything in place in our home to survive, should the need arise.

My heart and prayers go out to all those around the world that are experiencing such horrendous tragedies.

#990444 - Sun Jun 23 2013 09:11 AM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Jabberwok: If the satellites/tech goes down, you'll only need 3 things: 1) water 2) a gun 3) more ammunition than the other guys lol

Divine: I was thinking of you this week, so nice to "see" you! Isn't it great that we live in a province with loads of farming/mining/drilling equipment at the ready? Hope somebody took pictures of your friend's friend - they would be a wonderful addition to the child's "baby book" : )))

#990482 - Sun Jun 23 2013 11:18 AM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

I've just been for a walk along the brow of the hill overlooking the river. Still a raging torrent and the little neighbourhood below us, Sunnyside, is still mostly under water so it's taking its time to recede. Very nice of you to start this thread, Jabberwok, and for all good wishes from everyone. Nice to see a community come together. Help thy neighbour is a priority for everyone around here these days and I know it's much appreciated. Very hard to see our friends and neighbours in these straits but they will all get through it with the supports we have in place here.

The news this morning out of India on the floods makes ours look like a little puddle. There's always someone worse off. frown

#990491 - Sun Jun 23 2013 11:34 AM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
agony Offline

Administrator

#990525 - Sun Jun 23 2013 12:45 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Can y'all send some of the rain to Texas? We are on the other end of that spectrum.

Hope you stay safe up there in western Canada.

#990722 - Sun Jun 23 2013 07:13 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

LOL @ agony! I like to call that "culling the herd" ~

Barbarini: absolutely true about "community"(and this one too - was really surprised that Jabberwok a) heard the news at all and b) took the time to post about it (hugs to Jabbers)).

Dave: have at 'er. Not sure how we will get it to go to Texas, because unfortunately this storm originated in Colorado, worked its way northward and then did nothing but circle endlessly bouncing off the mountains. It's rained so much that I was thinking (usually a bad thing in my case lol) that I was living in British Columbia. But then last week we had water spouts and tornado warnings (in 13 degrees celsius!!!) so maybe I'm really in Kansas. Or maybe Alaska. Not sure.

Dunno, off to go look for Toto and Buck now lol

#990740 - Sun Jun 23 2013 10:20 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: agony]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: agony

There's always one, isn't there... mad

#991074 - Mon Jun 24 2013 04:46 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I looked to see exactly where the Canadian Rockies are in relation to Alberta and find them to the west. Is it all rain that has caused these floods, or could the snow run-off be abetting the problem? I was reminded of the Rockies because in reviewing the photo thread Picture Book Ertrum posted a photo of the Canadian Rockies with a river running through. Wonder if this adds to the problem?

Certainly hope everyone is doing fine, and I agree with DG Dave - just ship some of that water down here!

#991075 - Mon Jun 24 2013 04:53 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
agony Offline

Administrator

Yes, we always have high water at this time of year - this is just an exceptional year because of the confluence of a couple of factors.

Last winter was an unusually high snowfall season. The spring was cold and late, slowing down the melt. It's been raining steadily for almost a month - very unusual for here, where we tend to be a little dry. Put it all together and you get floods.

#991259 - Tue Jun 25 2013 08:00 AM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
DivineMsDRL Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Okotoks Alberta Canada       
Jakeroo, I had mega trouble logging onto this site. Finally was able to do it the other day.

Every day there are numerous army helicopters flying towards High River. Some people have still not evacuated and will be forcibly removed from their homes. Every time they flush the toilet the sewage is spilled outside. I spoke with one resident yesterday, who did evacuate, and she is livid that some stayed. They are delaying the clean up.

#991534 - Tue Jun 25 2013 04:54 PM Re: Canadian flooding [Re: Jabberwok]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Nothing like as severe as the Canadian flooding, but around 15 years ago we had a huge amount of rain in Sussex and several rivers burst their banks.
My husband has some surreal photographs of his journey to work on the train, travelling through flooded fields. The train looks as if it is floating on the water, with swans drifting past the window.
I hope that everyone helps the communities recover, including the promised Government aid.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943