Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#991092 - Mon Jun 24 2013 05:51 PM Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland...
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Here's a funny thing. My last quiz was a "For Children" quiz for Adventures in Authoring. I made it for children because I needed a certain word in the title, and I saw a Player Author Challenge with that word, and it sounded like a kiddie quiz, so I thought, why not kill two birds with one stone? smilee

And now I hit a spot in the game where I'm required to specifically write a quiz for children. shocked I'm laughing because this will make my fifth kiddie quiz, which for me is a lot. I have 5 celebrity quizzes, too, and I'm working on a 6th, and I never thought I'd write any for Celebrities. crazy

I thought most of my quizzes would be in Sci/Tech & History & Animals, and maybe People, and possibly Music which I had formally studied at some point. But right now I have the most quizzes in For Children (5), Entertainment (5), Celebrities (5), and World (5). Would not have predicted that.

Just wondering if others have had a similar experience, and where your quizzes have ended up?
-g.

P.S. Not sure if I should have posted this here or in the Author's Lounge. Sorry if I should have posted in Author's Lounge.

#991095 - Mon Jun 24 2013 06:14 PM Re: Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland... [Re: gracious1]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
If left to my own devices, I would never have written for all 20 categories - there are some I don't even enjoy playing, and had to think long and hard to find an approach that I could use for a quiz there when I first decided I should try to write one quiz for each category, just to see if I could. But the challenges and commissions in the Authors Lounge have certainly sent me all over the place. It's nice to know that I don't have to be frightened of any categories, even if they still aren't my first choice when I sit down and think, "Hmmm, I wonder what I feel like writing about today?" I can tell you for sure that the Bus Ride Replacement Challenge has totally warped by category distribution!

#991096 - Mon Jun 24 2013 06:15 PM Re: Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland... [Re: gracious1]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I'm still surprised I've written Sports and Religion, especially the latter.

#991102 - Mon Jun 24 2013 06:49 PM Re: Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland... [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I would probably be stuck writing in video games, music, for kids, general, and brain teasers, plus bits of this and that as the mood strikes.

I have found that I really enjoy animals and geography, though, and I have at least a few quizzes in all 20 categories. Most of them are shocking to me, but some of my best quizzes are in categories I wouldn't expect. Most of my history quizzes get sunnies, and my highest ranked single questions are history. That's apparently my best subject and I don't know it. I've only ever had one correction note in sports, which is pretty shocking to me.

I think writing in unfamiliar territory benefits me because I work a little harder and put a little more effort and research into it, and I know my facts are accurate because nothing came from my own brain. :P so I thank the lounge for that... Getting me to write in categories I wouldn't expect, with material I never thought I'd write about. I could easily make a list of all the quizzes I wrote in which I knew nothing about, and the list would be at least 80 quizzes long, I imagine. Add those I knew a bit about but made a quiz anyway and the list grows. :P

Is amazing where the lounge takes me!

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#991103 - Mon Jun 24 2013 07:01 PM Re: Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland... [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

To prove my case...

My lowest ranked history quiz is 29,000...and I have seven total in the category!

#991104 - Mon Jun 24 2013 07:10 PM Re: Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland... [Re: gracious1]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Just scrolled back through a bunch of quizzes. Didn't realize I wrote one called 'No One Puts Rabies in the Corner'-- author challenge quiz. Funny stuff.

#991122 - Mon Jun 24 2013 09:45 PM Re: Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland... [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Lol!

It's amazing, really. I am SHOCKED every time I see my quiz about world leaders. smile

#991148 - Tue Jun 25 2013 01:20 AM Re: Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland... [Re: gracious1]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I have written two Shakespeare quizzes, thanks to the Author's Lounge. I know very little about him, but one of them has my only set of sunnies.

My newest quiz is 3rd most popular of all that I have written after only 4 days live. It has got the highest number of complements to date and that was another Challenge quiz.

I have always said that I will try anything once, so writing a quiz when I know very little about a subject is daunting, but doable. The results are unpredictable though and I will never understand the minds of quiz raters.

#991247 - Tue Jun 25 2013 07:06 AM Re: Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland... [Re: gracious1]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
The great thing about the various badges and challenges is that it motivates you to push the boat out a bit! I had a bit of a tough time writing certain categories but the effort pays off. smile

#991336 - Tue Jun 25 2013 11:22 AM Re: Funny where life takes you in Quizzyland... [Re: gracious1]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I won the Five Categories badge even before I was aware of having written in five different categories...

Moderator:  agony, gtho4