Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#991068 - Mon Jun 24 2013 04:23 PM Hyperlinks in Excel
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
When I type an email address in Excel 2007, it is automatically put in the form of a hyperlink. I know I can right click and select Remove Hyperlink, but. What I would like is to not have the hyperlink show at all. In other words, I would like the default to NOT show hyperlinks.

I've looked in Excel options, but have been unable to find anything about a default selection for not allowing hyperlinks. Maybe I'm just missing it.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

#991079 - Mon Jun 24 2013 05:20 PM Re: Hyperlinks in Excel [Re: Jar]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Finding where to disable hyperlinks as the default is a prime example of a software company 'improving' the design of a successful program so that it is far more unusable than it was before. However, there is a way to do what you want - it used to be in the old Tools menu, now there's no such menu - so...

1. Click on the MS Button in the top left corner
2. At the bottom of the pop up, there are two rectangular 'boxes' - click on the one labeled "Excel options"
3. In the next pop up, select "Proofing" on the left, then on the right, click on the box labeled "AutoCorrect options"
4. In the next pop up, deselect "Replace as you type Internet and network paths with hyperlinks" and click OK
5. Click OK again

This should solve your problem but note that if you disable autocorrect links, you will have to right click on any you actually do want to create and add the address in the relevant pop up to create a link manually. Depends on which is the most work for you. smile

#992470 - Thu Jun 27 2013 08:33 PM Re: Hyperlinks in Excel [Re: Jar]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Thanks so much Flopsymopsy. I got to the Proofing area when I looked originally, but didn't go to AutoCorrect options.

I did have to go to one more tab once in AutoCorrect, and that was the Auto format as you type tab. Thankfully, I explored that one more option.

I never use links in an Excel spreadsheet -- in fact, they are a bother for me to have them there. I only know one person that is an Excel Whiz (besides you) that would even remotely use a hyperlink were I to include it. Anyone else I know wouldn't know what to do with the hyperlink. smile

I'm a happy little camper now. Thanks again.

Edited by Jar (Thu Jun 27 2013 08:35 PM)

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29