Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 25 26 >
Topic Options
#1013433 - Tue Oct 01 2013 07:13 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Horses are going, too, as I discover them - I would certainly appreciate having them pointed out.

#1013453 - Wed Oct 02 2013 12:44 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Loc: New York USA
This has the very short word of tu at the end of the description -

Australian tennis player ranked No. 1 amateur in 1956; member of four victorious Davis Cup teams; tu = (Lew Hoad)

#1013454 - Wed Oct 02 2013 12:45 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
I thought I'd wait until there was a court decision, not just allegations. If there has been a conviction, I haven't heard of it yet - I would appreciate being informed here if that is the case.

Do you search by the name of the subject?

I had Affrimed in yesterday's game, if that helps any.

#1013456 - Wed Oct 02 2013 01:18 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Yes, I need the name, then I can locate them and do whatever is necessary.

#1013498 - Wed Oct 02 2013 04:24 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Fictional character in William Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night'

answer: Viola

#1013500 - Wed Oct 02 2013 04:44 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

thanks smile

#1013591 - Wed Oct 02 2013 10:33 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
Don't suppose there's any chance of removing a heap of adjectives from some of the descriptions?

Like actors who cant just be actors (which is what they are known for) but have to be directors, screenplay writers,singer, songwriter, muscian, musical producer etc etc

Or am I the only one that this annoys? It slows me down when I'm trying to read quickly.

#1013593 - Wed Oct 02 2013 11:36 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
I thought the multiple descriptors were an integral part of the game.

(I hope some fictional characters stay. I like getting them. And the racehorses. It adds a bit of fun.)

#1013595 - Wed Oct 02 2013 11:40 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
spanishliz Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: Chavs

(I hope some fictional characters stay. I like getting them. And the racehorses. It adds a bit of fun.)

I agree with Chavs entirely. Racehorses are athletes, just as much as hockey players and footballers.

The multiple descriptors are extra clues, as far as I can tell, not distractions.

#1013596 - Wed Oct 02 2013 11:46 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: pyonir]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
Originally Posted By: pyonir
Fictional character in William Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night'

answer: Viola

but, but these are the ones that I often get right

#1013601 - Wed Oct 02 2013 11:54 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Me too!!

#1013633 - Wed Oct 02 2013 05:19 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Chavs]
MiraJane Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Chavs

I like the fictional characters & racehorses too. Some of them are more well known than the people in this game.

And the extra descriptors help! I don't know who all the actors or actresses are but sometimes I have heard of other things they have done in their lives.

Suzane Somers is an actress as famous for the thigh master, her books, and her skin care (or makeup?) line as for being in some sitcoms.

Edited by MiraJane (Wed Oct 02 2013 05:24 PM)

#1013696 - Thu Oct 03 2013 01:16 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
I'm not taking about people who do DIFFERENT things I'm talking about the fact that every actor seems to be classed as a director as well ( they may have directed one movie) and a multitude of other things all related to the movie industry.

A singer these days also seems to have to be a performer, a dancer, a songwriter and musical producer as well

Some of these descriptions can have 6 or 7 adjectives which drive me nuts.

When I see the name of someone like Tom Hanks I'm looking quickly down the line to find a description that says something about an American actor not every other little thing he's tried his hat at.

It's just my opinion and obviously not shared by others which is fine.

P.S. I also like the fictional characters

#1013698 - Thu Oct 03 2013 01:22 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Set 28 today has three 'giveaways', which I, personally, don't like. Last time I queried the inclusion of initials, I was told to be thankful, but I prefer more of a challenge.

For the record (these are only partial wordings):

Initials ST = Sylvanus Thayer

Initials AG = Andrew Grove

Known for the Fred Hollows Foundation = (unsurprisingly) Fred Hollows

These are valid people to include but I'd had thought the descriptions could be reworded.

#1013701 - Thu Oct 03 2013 01:57 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

The initials people have been added to my list, and the initials will be removed - if there isn't anything else distinguishing to say about someone, they shouldn't be there. Fred Hollows is already on my list - but it has hundreds of entries, mostly definitions like "English actress & TV presenter" that could apply to a zillion different people. As I come across them during play, I am putting them on the list to try and find a more personalized description. It just takes time to do the research and decide what to say in the limited space that is available.

If Tom Hanks gets onto my list, the new description would be American actor and then name a film. Deciding which one is the most recognizable will be the hard part. smile

#1013725 - Thu Oct 03 2013 05:35 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
rossian Offline

It sounds a huge task. Good luck with it.

#1013912 - Thu Oct 03 2013 06:45 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I thought the initials were added to entries that were sufficiently obscure that people had trouble getting them right. They don't bother me, but then I am not one of the wizzes at this game.

I like the fictional characters and the racehorses. I hope they don't disappear.

Sue

#1013948 - Fri Oct 04 2013 03:50 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Long may Rin Tin Tin be appearing as a "Who Am I?" item. There were only a handful of more famous performers than the Rin in his prime. Is Lassie going to be sent to the relatives' farm upstate too?

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#1013995 - Fri Oct 04 2013 08:44 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
rossian Offline

Dr John H. Watson, fictional character, turned up in my set today.

#1014282 - Sun Oct 06 2013 06:09 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
Today I got Greyfriars Bobby (a dog) and Fal(l)ine (a fictional deer)

I am just reporting these, but to be honest, would prefer the animals to stay. I find them far more interesting than random soap stars.

#1014527 - Mon Oct 07 2013 07:01 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
HairyBear Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
I'd be in favor of keeping the fictional characters and famous horses/dogs, too. I won't get Archie Gemmill (who?), but I'll get Darth Vader!

I have noticed the improvement in descriptors already, looney_tunes, so good job.

One request I would make no one has mentioned yet is when there are multiple job descriptions for actors, musicians, etc., that the title of the movie, tv show, book, or song that s/he did be identified as such. It probably won't help me any; if I don't know who the person is, knowing that s/he appeared in "Over the Waterfall" won't make any more sense than knowing that s/he directed in "Over the Waterfall" or wrote "Over the Waterfall", but it would still be nice to know which one it was.

#1014537 - Mon Oct 07 2013 07:50 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Adding the name of a movie, TV show, book, musical composition, etc. is part of the process I have in mind. Usually only one per person, so deciding which one for some of them is a lot harder than it is for one-hit wonders. Word count restrictions mean that I can't always fit in exactly what the individual did, but I have been trying to do so where possible. I personally find it frustrating to be told that someone is a pop or rock musician without knowing either a group they performed with or a song they sang on. I may not know it the first time I see the individual, but I can try to recognise it the next time.

#1014592 - Tue Oct 08 2013 02:36 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
rossian Offline

A couple more which could probably benefit from rewording:

Rudolf Diesel - part of the description is 'inventor of the Diesel engine'

John Dalberg-Acton - 'first Baron Acton' is included in the answer option

#1014597 - Tue Oct 08 2013 03:56 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
Alan Jay Lerner
Your answer: American author; Tony & Oscar-winning lyricist; 'Brigadoon', 'Camelot' & 'My Fair Lady'

The 'American author' part is a real red herring, I started reading the description and initially discounted that answer because of it. If I see 'Author' in the description I'd expect it to describe someone who's written a book!

Just my twopennorth worth but I can't see what's wrong with the animals and fictional characters either. Doesn't hurt to have an easy question in the mix sometimes.

#1014669 - Tue Oct 08 2013 08:43 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: looney_tunes]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

I didn't know that the diesel engine was invented by someone called Diesel. At least, not until I came to FunTrivia. Things that might look like giveaways to some, might just be educational to others or -- laugh dare I say it tongue wink - just plain fun and games! Is it ok if the game is configured for fun and not a test? ;D Please? smile smile Ok, I'll butt out now.

Edited by Chavs (Tue Oct 08 2013 08:45 AM)

Page 3 of 26 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 25 26 >

Moderator:  Terry