Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#993092 - Sun Jun 30 2013 12:58 AM Screen Width and New Questions Game
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
When I played the New Questions Game just now, something really strange happened. The page would not adjust itself to the window size. Instead everything was spread across as if I had widened the window the entire width of my computer screen. I had to scroll horizontally to read questions. This has never happened before.

#993104 - Sun Jun 30 2013 01:22 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

To follow up, my screen resolution is currently 1440 x 900. When I stretched the window to the entire width of the screen, I still had to horizontally scroll almost twice the width to see the ratings selection buttons.

I don't believe it's a browser issue because this isn't happening on any other game or on any of the quizzes.

#993190 - Sun Jun 30 2013 03:01 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Worked perfectly for me. Maybe one question in your game had something strange in it that prevented a line break. If anyone else gets it, please make note of long-text questions.

#993223 - Sun Jun 30 2013 06:42 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I had the same thing happen yesterday and none of the questions were particularly long. On the far right side of the page where the rating options were, once I'd scrolled over that far, no question text was visible for me

#993225 - Sun Jun 30 2013 06:46 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I figured it was spacing in the info for one of the questions. Someone held the space bar too long or something. Definitely doesn't seem browser-related.

#993236 - Sun Jun 30 2013 07:48 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
Barbarini Online   content
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Happened to me too. Mine was in question set 8. Seemed to be Q #10. Only a problem when reading the answers, the questions themselves were fine.

#993243 - Sun Jun 30 2013 08:37 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
golfmom08 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA        
I just played the NQG and while playing everything was fine. I play on an iPad. The screen widening happened when I hit submit and the screen to rate the questions was really wide, I had to go back and forth to read the question and rate it. I played set 8 and none of the questions seemed long.

Edited by golfmom08 (Sun Jun 30 2013 08:44 AM)

#993248 - Sun Jun 30 2013 08:45 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

When you suspect specific a question to cause the problem, please do send a correction on that question - it's the only way an editor can take a look at it. Thanks!

(This in particular goes to anyone playing set 8 because we already do have a suspect there)

#993288 - Sun Jun 30 2013 11:56 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: WesleyCrusher]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

How can you tell which question set you've played. Does the number show up at the beginning of the game?

#993292 - Sun Jun 30 2013 12:07 PM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
Lottie1001 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Westmorland UK
It tells you which set you had when you look at the leader board after you've played.

#993302 - Sun Jun 30 2013 01:11 PM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
Barbarini Online   content
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
The set you played in yesterday will show here...
http://www.funtrivia.com/today/yesterday.cfm?override=All

#993337 - Sun Jun 30 2013 02:35 PM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: Barbarini]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Quote:
It tells you which set you had when you look at the leader board after you've played.

Oh, of course. Just like every other game. tongue crazy Thanks.

Quote:
The set you played in yesterday will show here...
http://www.funtrivia.com/today/yesterday.cfm?override=All

Ah, that's a new one for me. shocked Thanks, too! It's finding "deep Fun Trivia" -- so many links and pages to explore.

#993341 - Sun Jun 30 2013 02:38 PM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: Barbarini]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

And based on that info, I played question set 5 yesterday, so as Wes has mentioned set 8, it's perhaps a different question that is the culprit in my case. I sent a screenshot to an admin.

Arrgh. I played it in the wee hours of the morning, which was last night to me, but it was today's set, which was set 8, the same as everyone else's (though I thought the problem question was #5).

Edited by gracious1 (Sun Jun 30 2013 02:42 PM)

#993845 - Tue Jul 02 2013 02:49 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I got one of these today. I submitted a correction on the question, but for reference (just in case) it was question 2 in set 4. Looks to be an issue with the interesting information of this question.

#993848 - Tue Jul 02 2013 05:14 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: pyonir]
thelancinator Offline
Participant

Loc: Colorado USA
Originally Posted By: pyonir
I got one of these today. I submitted a correction on the question, but for reference (just in case) it was question 2 in set 4. Looks to be an issue with the interesting information of this question.

Same set and question for me today as well.
I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
Jack Sparrow

#993895 - Tue Jul 02 2013 08:16 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Anyone remember which category it was so that the respective editors can make a priority check on it?

#993901 - Tue Jul 02 2013 08:31 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I just got it, it's in geography or literature, not sure, most likely geography, and I have the other screen open right now if you need me to send a correction notice as well.

#993919 - Tue Jul 02 2013 08:46 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I've just sent a correction note, before deciding to check over here. I assume it will be picked up and amended now.

Edit to add that it's in Literature.

Edited by rossian (Tue Jul 02 2013 08:47 AM)

#993920 - Tue Jul 02 2013 08:49 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I just did it, and I see Rossian sent one too.

How can you tell which category it's in? The question is based on literature, but the question I, personally, would have placed in geography. Does it specify anywhere?

#994057 - Tue Jul 02 2013 01:34 PM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I worked on one question last night (my time) that had a correction about this issue. It was quite strange, as the question looked completely normal. However, when I resized the editing screen to see what happened, I could see that it didn't adjust as usual, and seemed to have some kind of hidden formatting in it. I couldn't seem to fix it by just deleting a return or anything simple like that, so retyped the entire question and it looked perfect. So perhaps the issue in some questions is from the information being written in a word processor with a format set that prevents the auto-adjusting of text?

#994085 - Tue Jul 02 2013 01:58 PM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Why has it only happened to us within the last few days, though? Why hasn't this been a problem before now? Are these questions all coming from the same player using a format that isn't working? Is it because of changes Terry has made?

#994090 - Tue Jul 02 2013 02:03 PM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

I think the issue is that the space characters are not actual spaces, so the browser doesn't word wrap. It's likely they're all from the same player. Next editor to work one, please PM me (and Terry) the question ID so that we can take a look at just what is in the database there.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Tue Jul 02 2013 02:04 PM)

#994239 - Wed Jul 03 2013 07:27 AM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Thanks - I was able to run a technical analysis on one of the malformed questions. We now know what happened. As suspected, the question arrived looking correct but didn't contain actual space characters, so it's getting mis-displayed in browsers.

We should hopefully be able to catch this soon.

Please continue to send corrections if you encounter such a question so that we can make sure they'll get fixed.

#994379 - Wed Jul 03 2013 04:51 PM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: WesleyCrusher]
MiraJane Offline
Mainstay

But how we guess which question it is for sure?
I had the super long questions a few days ago too, and it wasn't the first time. There was more than one question where the extra info and the questions showed up in one, very long line.
I use an iPad too, like someone above that I can't reference now, since this is an iPad.

#994384 - Wed Jul 03 2013 06:03 PM Re: Screen Width and New Questions Game [Re: gracious1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
There is probably a batch of the questions, but since they look innocuous they can't currently be spotted during editing, and we only know they are a problem when players who encounter them send a correction on it. If you do this immediately after playing the game where you had the issue, you won't have to remember anything, just send the correction, and it can be fixed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry