Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#994381 - Wed Jul 03 2013 05:12 PM Correction note response
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
If a correction note on an archived quiz is regarding grammar rather than content, is it acceptable to respond that I would defer to an editor's decision (rather than agreeing or disagreeing)?

The issue is whether or not to capitalize the first word of a sentence if that word is a proper name that is normally not capitalized.

#994383 - Wed Jul 03 2013 05:56 PM Re: Correction note response [Re: Julia103]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
Since an editor will have to check your response and judge whether or not you have made an appropriate suggestion as to how to handle the correction on an archived quiz, you should make your feelings clear. The editor may decide your original was better than the suggested corrected version, or vice versa.

If this is about an e e cummings answer, then you could viably use the E. E. Cummings form that he used in his later years, as is becoming increasingly common practice.

#994394 - Wed Jul 03 2013 06:46 PM Re: Correction note response [Re: Julia103]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
No, it's not e.e. cummings. It's eBay.

What I would like to say is that I don't know what the rule is and would be equally comfortable with having it changed or leaving as-is. But I don't know whether that would be seen by the editor as avoiding my responsibility.

#994398 - Wed Jul 03 2013 07:04 PM Re: Correction note response [Re: Julia103]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
If it's something that is easily found out, I'd say spending five minutes on google to check it out is something the editors would prefer you to do rather than having to do it ourselves. If it's an enormous pain to figure out what is correct, then personally I wouldn't be offended by your preferred answer.

#994399 - Wed Jul 03 2013 07:37 PM Re: Correction note response [Re: Julia103]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
eBay is tricky, since you can see it written ebay in their logo, and eBay elsewhere on the site. I remember having a discussion about this with one of my own questions a long time ago, and deciding never again to use them! Since they call themselves eBay, I would definitely go with that way of writing the name. Funny names don't follow rules - iPad wouldn't be written IPad just because it is at the start of a sentence - iPAd is the proper noun. Same for eBay.

#994400 - Wed Jul 03 2013 08:19 PM Re: Correction note response [Re: Julia103]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Would it be possible to reword the start of the sentence? Instead of 'eBay was launched in 1995 by Pierre Omidyar', would 'The eBay website was launched in 1995 by Pierre Omidyar' work better?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#994434 - Thu Jul 04 2013 01:56 AM Re: Correction note response [Re: Julia103]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
In English, you must always start the beginning of a sentence with a capital letter, even if the word normally begins with a lower-case letter. That is actually one of the most inflexible rules in English.

#994443 - Thu Jul 04 2013 02:56 AM Re: Correction note response [Re: Julia103]
ozzz2002 Online   FT-cool

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
'pH is the scale used to measure acidity and alkalinity' is another sentence that is incorrect and should be reworked.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#994590 - Thu Jul 04 2013 03:41 PM Re: Correction note response [Re: Julia103]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
You could change it to: The eBay site ... or similar

Moderator:  agony, gtho4