Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#988737 - Sun Jun 16 2013 07:09 AM Incorrect Question with no correction link
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
I have come across an incorrect question today in the Obscurity game. When I click on the 'send a correction" link it takes me to a page which says "No Owner Found".

I then clicked on the "Play this quiz link" to try to correct it through there and it says it comes from a Question Quest question.

I have a copy of the question if anyone would like me to send it to them so they can correct it.

But it does raise the issue of It appearing that there is no avenue to send a correction note on A Question Quest question once they have moved into the general games.

#988739 - Sun Jun 16 2013 07:14 AM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
If it's a Question Quest question, we unfortunately have no way of tracking it down without an actual correction note submitted on it.

Terry will have to investigate the correction submission for single questions in the game.

#995419 - Mon Jul 08 2013 03:43 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Hi,

Is there an update on this issue? I also tried to send a correction note and had the same experience of being unable to send one.

#995424 - Mon Jul 08 2013 04:11 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
I also had a problem with not being able to send correction notices from the Obscurity game. I was lucky the question that needed correction was part of a quiz and an editor was able to change it with relative ease.

#995431 - Mon Jul 08 2013 05:42 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: kaddarsgirl]
jabb5076 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Georgia USA
Same thing happened to me. It was just a simple spelling error, though, so I didn't inform anyone. It was just puzzling to get that " no owner found" message. Good to know the reason.

#995433 - Mon Jul 08 2013 05:45 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

The one I came across asked what the names of Kelly Ripa's two kids were...she has three kids (for those who don't know)... smile

#995474 - Tue Jul 09 2013 03:19 AM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I don't even know who Kelly Ripa is!

#995475 - Tue Jul 09 2013 03:22 AM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Thank you, Rossian. I am glad I am not the only one! smile

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#995477 - Tue Jul 09 2013 05:25 AM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Isn't the author's name posted next to the (play this quiz) link? One way to get to a correct state is for the author to access their list of accepted questions and for them to use the correction note link from that list. So, a polite note to the author might work too?

#995482 - Tue Jul 09 2013 05:52 AM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: rossian]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: mehaul
Isn't the author's name posted next to the (play this quiz) link? One way to get to a correct state is for the author to access their list of accepted questions and for them to use the correction note link from that list. So, a polite note to the author might work too?

Unless that author is no longer active, in which case that note gets lost in cyberspace.

Originally Posted By: rossian
I don't even know who Kelly Ripa is!

Yeah, she's an American actress (originally soaps), who for the past several years has hosted a popular morning talk show out of New York City. It was definitely a regional question.

#995491 - Tue Jul 09 2013 06:36 AM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
Unless that author is no longer active, in which case that note gets lost in cyberspace.
That happens in what? one out of a few thousand cases?
Okay then, it also takes looking to see when the 'last seen' date is on their profile when you go to "send a message". But even some here today might not look at their mailbox or even be here tomorrow. At least you've tried to fix the error. If they are banished, you wouldn't get to the message construction page and it definitely would take an editor to fix things. So, note the category the question is in too. Not all of us are allowed to send correction notes and the alternate route is necessary and the polite part is essential. The times I have gone this route I have gotten replies from the authors thanking me for helping them.
Hopefully, a good Correction avenue can develop to handle these things.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Jul 09 2013 06:41 AM)

#995502 - Tue Jul 09 2013 08:05 AM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: kaddarsgirl]
gtho4 Online   FT-blank

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           

Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl

That won't happen -- editors can see see all correction notes on all quizzes. If the author is no longer with us, an editor will fix it.

#995510 - Tue Jul 09 2013 10:18 AM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: gtho4]
guitargoddess Offline

Originally Posted By: gtho4

Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl

That won't happen -- editors can see see all correction notes on all quizzes. If the author is no longer with us, an editor will fix it.

Yes but kaddarsgirl's reply quoted was in regards to sending an author a regular note saying "hey there's an error in your question about bees" because there's (apparently) no way to send an actual CN from the Obscurity game actually attached to that question. In this case if the author is gone, no one will see that note.

And no "the author is gone" does not happen only one out of a few thousand times. Way more often than that.

#995520 - Tue Jul 09 2013 12:20 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Kaddarsgirl's example stemmed from a quiz error not a QQ error and later called out flaws in the suggested QQ method I made. I was replying to the issue of contacting an author to acheive a correction to a QQ (or Single Question) error if there is no Correction Note way to do it. Her point about inactive authors was valid. I still say that trying that method will get some (probably not all, and in those cases editors will be needed) corrections initiated. And in that method, the editors (who see all fixes, no?) will have less work to do and the author is still owning their work. More than 3/4s of the authors are still around, aren't they (so if the number of cases is most...)? Does the number matter or does getting a fix made matter? Come on folks, don't kill the message because of the messenger. Don't trash a workable solution only because it isn't 100% effective.

Go straight to the editor and, in many cases, wouldn't they then contact the author for coming up with the fix, if any is needed? My suggestion could save some of that work. A system that goes straight to the editors sometimes finds them taking ownership and initiating the fix without consulting the author. Those numbers could be closer to 50/50 (some eds will, some won't) than going straight to the author.

Bottom line: the shuffling of QQs into some games and the methods in those games will probably see a fix to fix the fix needing situation. Until then... politely contacting an active author might get a workable solution forwarded to an editor for updating the pool.

#995521 - Tue Jul 09 2013 12:24 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
That happens in what? one out of a few thousand cases?

Likely more.

Quote:
Go straight to the editor and, in many cases, wouldn't they then contact the author for coming up with the fix, if any is needed?

In some cases, like with QQ entries, if the author is gone we have no way of tracking the question without a CN.

If the author is gone, then there's no one to contact and it does fall on the editor to fix. Depending on the severity of the correction (and other factors), the quiz may be taken offline or deleted entirely. This is not something we want to do.

Quote:
More than 3/4s of the authors are still around, aren't they (so if the number of cases is most...)?

No. I'm not sure this number has been posted or looked at in my time here, but it's got to be well below 3/4. Not sure where you pulled that stat from.

Quote:
Those numbers could be closer to 50/50 (some eds will, some won't) than going straight to the author.

I'd say the numbers are not 50/50 based on experience in the queues, but I guess it's a number that can be made up.
There is no way to know this, and throwing around random stats with no basis isn't going to help.

Edited by kyleisalive (Tue Jul 09 2013 12:30 PM)

#995524 - Tue Jul 09 2013 12:39 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
guitargoddess Offline

For QQs since they're newer, there are more of the question authors still around, but I still wouldn't say 'most' - I really don't know but would guess not. There are a lot of people who join, write a few questions, stay around FT maybe a week and are never seen again

#995531 - Tue Jul 09 2013 01:32 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Arggh. My advice was for:
1)QQs not quizzes (they have an established CN system); and,
2)Of course if the author isn't around asking them to correct something is like yelling at a blank wall (no words are going to appear to fix things). That is why, after Kaddarsgirl's valid comment, I added the idea of looking to the author's last seen info on their profile.

Going politely and directly to the author on several question errors has led to some corrections in my experience. And statistically, the Pareto Principle still applies in that 80% of the questions have been written by 20% of the authors and we know those prolific authors are still around. Just check the badge standing table for the QQ writing authors and almost everyone of the top 100 are still active.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Jul 09 2013 01:34 PM)

#995533 - Tue Jul 09 2013 01:54 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I understand that you are basing this on a rule of thumb, but, based on what happens in the queue, I'm saying that in my categories, there are a number of players who submit one question and leave. While the top 100 submitters count for 20% of the single questions placed online, there are no available stats for the rest, and pulling incorrect numbers out doesn't really get us anywhere (except to the wrong place if people are looking). Additionally, not all of the most prolific authors are still around-- Nightmare comes to mind; Flamis and Lilady are also inactive at the moment, and that's just in the top few.

My main concern is your statements about queue processes you can't possibly know (for example, how 50% of editors will fix the errors themselves and 50% won't). This is the type of thing I've mentioned in the past where makes no sense to answer unless you are an editor, otherwise, how could such a statistic be made? The editors don't know this number, and authors reading that stat could come in and think "well, either my question will get fixed or deleted"-- 50/50 shot.

There's also the issue of going to the editor for QQ submissions; part of the problem here is that we can't pull up the single question unless a CN is sent on it, even if we have an author name. If the author is long-gone or their account is closed, we can not contact them and we can not fix it ourselves. We would typically prefer the author make the fix and will typically step in when it's either an easy typo/factual fix or they are long-gone and we can field it. There is no 50/50 because each question and each editor is unique. I'd say I fix way more than 50%; others might not. I can't possibly know. The same way I don't know how many QQ authors we've had or how many are active altogether or how many make up what percent of questions.

As far as I've seen, the issue has arisen when trying to submit corrections for single questions written by players with closed accounts. It's happened to me with questions from Nightmare in the past.

Edited by kyleisalive (Tue Jul 09 2013 01:57 PM)

#995534 - Tue Jul 09 2013 01:57 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to contact an author directly if there is an error in a QQ as mehaul suggests, but there really should be a better method in place to fix such errors.

As to the statement that 20% of the authors are likely writing 80% of the questions, that is probably close to being correct (though it is a made-up stat-- wink I would venture to guess (as long as we're making things up) that the percentage of QQs requiring corrections is lower in that author population (due to their experience as authors) than the percentage of questions needing tweaking written by the other 20% of authors. Just pointing out that making assumptions with numerical data that isn't really statistical can lead to inexact conclusions.

Edited by shuehorn (Tue Jul 09 2013 01:58 PM)

#995543 - Tue Jul 09 2013 02:14 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
guitargoddess Offline

No there isn't anything wrong with trying to contact the question author directly. Go ahead and try it if you want. But in many if not most cases that won't solve anything. Even if the author is still here, they could ignore it and an editor will never know there's a problem with the question until it comes up in another game where someone can submit an actual correction on it.

#995571 - Tue Jul 09 2013 02:57 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Which brings us back to the square one of Midge's original post. Some of the applications of QQs are in places where the CN system won't let you generate a CN for a QQ but only for quiz source questions.

#995645 - Tue Jul 09 2013 11:33 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
"Some"? Every 'report correction' link leads to a no author found message if you try to submit a correction from a question in obscurity. I brought this up in the question pool refreshment topic and it got ignored.

#997101 - Wed Jul 17 2013 10:55 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
EnglishJedi Offline
Participant

Loc: Southampton England UK    
There is another angle to this problem too, with questions submitted individually such as for the New Question game. Someone recently sent me a message with some additional information on a question that I had added, but I could not find a way to made a change or correction to the question or additional info.

M

#997105 - Wed Jul 17 2013 11:35 PM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
If it's your question, you can find it in the list of accepted questions, and then send yourself a correction note on it, telling the editors what you want changed.

#997143 - Thu Jul 18 2013 07:06 AM Re: Incorrect Question with no correction link [Re: Midget40]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

That list, viewable only by the author, is the only way besides Terry's personal attention, to accomplish a fix to a QQ, Single Question or New Question Game sourced question (no matter whatever game it ends up in). It is arranged by Q number. Perhaps if the Q# were published with the author's name on the game answer page, editors might be able to find it in the pool?

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jul 18 2013 07:07 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry