Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#99694 - Wed Jan 17 2001 08:13 PM Preparing for the Rolling Blackouts in California
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
Stage 3 Emergencies (from SDG&E)

Required Outages:
Due to a shortage of electricity throughout the state, the Cal-ISO, may require that SDG&E interrupt service to some of our customers. If this happens, we'll do our best to notify customers in advance, however because of the emergency nature of the situation, there may not be time.

If there are Stage 3 required outages, they will be rotated through various areas of the county to minimize the time any single area is without power. It is expected that an area could be without power for between one to four hours.

SDG&E will work with the local media to alert you to the situation and the potential for these types of outages. And as always it is best to be prepared with the supplies mentioned below.

Outage Preparedness: The following are some suggested supplies to have on hand in case of an outage or other emergency:

• Battery-powered emergency lighting (or flashlights, at a minimum);
  • A portable or battery-powered radio;
  • A wind-up or battery-powered clock;
  • Nonperishable foods and water (including a manual can opener);
  • First aid kit; and
  • A telephone that does not depend on electricity.

Protecting Your Equipment

It is your responsibility to protect your equipment from power outages and fluctuations. You should protect highly sensitive equipment by installing sensors designed to shut off the power supply if extreme power fluctuations occur.

Unprotected equipment should be unplugged, or the circuit breaker shut-off until the power is restored. We suggest leaving one light on, so you will know when power has been restored.

Once the power has been restored for about ten minutes, equipment should be brought back on-line in stages. Energizing one breaker or fuse (or large piece of equipment) at a time and ensuring the equipment is functioning properly before moving to the next breaker or fuse provides additional protection for your equipment. In addition, waiting ten minutes before resetting the breakers or fuses will help eliminate problems that can occur if equipment is brought back on-line before SDG&E’s system is stabilized.

If the doors are kept closed on refrigeration equipment, the contents can be maintained for several hours. Dry ice can be used to protect the contents during extremely long outages. Use gloves when handling dry ice, and use caution not to place it directly on the contents.

#99695 - Mon Mar 19 2001 05:48 PM Re: Preparing for the Rolling Blackouts in California
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

up

#99696 - Tue Mar 20 2001 07:24 PM Re: Preparing for the Rolling Blackouts in California
IndianPainter87 Offline
Participant

Loc: I'm BoyScout2
I read somewhere that something like this is eventually going to hit the rest of the nation. (And I know it wasn't from Weekly World News or the such . . . ) Personally, I really don't think so. Maybe it'll eventually hit Boston/New York/Philadelphia areas.

I have two tips I read to save power concerning computers:
1. Instead of putting your computer on sleep, turn it off. This saves a lot of power, according to the California Senator, Dianna Feinstein.

2. If you have SETI@Home (Search for Extra Intelligent Life) as your screen saver. That saves a lot of power. Saving power in California, even the least bit is of vital importance.

Also, you might want to follow some common sense tips, too. (Don't leave the lights on when you're not in the room, open the window instead of using air conditioning, etc.)

JoJo, you're living in the blackout area, aren't you?

#99697 - Thu May 03 2001 04:14 PM Re: Preparing for the Rolling Blackouts in California
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Yes I do BoyScout. Does anyone else have some energy saving tips to share with us?

#99698 - Thu May 03 2001 04:59 PM Re: Preparing for the Rolling Blackouts in California
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Well, I live (literally) right next to Niagara Falls - so we'll probably be the last spot in the nation to have power troubles!

Anyway, here is my tip: Turn off lights! A lot of people leave lights on when they leave a room and then forget about them. If you get into the habit of turning them out, you will save a bunch of money!

Editor for Television Category

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong