Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#99788 - Mon Jan 29 2001 10:49 AM Handwashing
Gier Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
On this party, which is visited by 25 people, there is a small bowl, filled with peanuts. The fact is, that an average of 17 different types of urine can be found on these peanuts, provided by the people who use the toilet and don't wash their hands afterwards.
Bonne Apetite!
moral: Dont eat peanuts on parties, or wash your hands and the peanuts before eating them!

I'd like to heare more of facts like these (things people share, but are not aware of). If you know any, please email me or reply to this topic.
Thanx.

[ 04-16-2001: Message edited by: Linda1 ]

#99789 - Mon Jan 29 2001 02:26 PM Re: Handwashing
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
I am so, so, so, so sick and tired of watching people in public places walk out of the bathroom without stopping at the sink.

A good rule to follow is to sing the Alphabet Song while you wash your hands. Doing this will keep you washing about the correct amount of time needed to get rid of all germs. Don't think that a quick "run under the faucet" does any good. You have not done anything to get rid of dirt or germs.

A little exercise for you. For a week, make a mental note of how many people you see not washing their hands after using the bathroom. You will never touch the doorhandle of a restroom again after doing this.

Remember, also, that you can't use your freshly washed hand to turn the water off - defeats the purpose. Get a papertowel and use it to both turn off the water and open the door. Keep your hands clean.

Something else I learned once: use your elbows and your knuckles to press elevator buttons and touch public things. If you do this, you are not quite as likely to inadvertantly spread as many germs to your mouth, nose, eyes, etc when you accidentally touch them with the pads of your fingers. It's still important not to touch your face with dirty hands, but doing the above will at least help a little bit.

This is an excellent poster to either print out or order copies of. Place them in every bathroom that you enter.

http://www.caretechlabs.com/Bugs.htm

Perhaps, if we all work hard, we can get the word out that handwashing is a very important thing to do.

[This message has been edited by Linda1 (edited 01-29-2001).]

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Linda1 ]

#99790 - Mon Jan 29 2001 02:58 PM Re: Handwashing
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
Linda1--I would love to be in elevator with you

I also wash my hands very frequently throughout the day. And, while I am preparing meals I wash my hands constantly to avoid getting--and spreading--bacteria like salmonella.
And people should remember to wash under the tips of their fingernails when they wash their hands.

But, sometimes I deliberately avoid using the sink in a public restroom--unless there are paper towels I can use to cover the faucets when I turn them off (as Linda1 points out in her post above).

I carry a small bottle of anti-bacterial hand sanitizer in my purse. It's a clear thin gel that drys almost immediately after you put it on your hands. I find that very useful if I am out for long periods and I have been handling things that many people have touched.

#99791 - Mon Jan 29 2001 04:22 PM Re: Handwashing
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

It was a story on an unrelated topic, but lo and behold, something that fits this thread, too! I quote:

quote:
That’s why researchers say the most important step to protect yourself from catching a cold is to wash your hands frequently. This is especially important before preparing food, before eating and after blowing your (or your child’s) nose. Don’t just give your hands a quick rinse, wash thoroughly with soap for at least 15 seconds and dry well. Then keep your hands away from your face. Experts say you’re unlikely to become infected unless any viruses on your hands come in contact with your eyes, nose or mouth.

This came from: http://www.msnbc.com/news/522104.asp ("Can You Stop A Cold?" A good article, by the way - I suggest reading it.)

Another thing to think about...some people think the hotter the water, the better. Not true. Hotter water dries the skin out, leaving lots of little cracks where bacteria can hide. Also, uncomfortably hot water makes you not spend as much time washing your hands. Best to use warm water for washing.

[This message has been edited by Linda1 (edited 01-29-2001).]

#99792 - Tue Jan 30 2001 10:20 AM Re: Handwashing
Donnar Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Montreal, Canada
I read an article recently about disgusting public rest room habits. It said 60% of men and women do not wash their hands afterwards. Since moving here, I'm astounded that, not only to people not wash their hands, but they are not ashamed either. I still have to remind kids of 8 and 9 to wash their hands after going to the bathroom and before meals. Then, get this, I'm picking on them! "But I only peed!" But what can you say to adults? I always pilfer the hand wipes from restaurants and carry them everywhere. Some places don't even have soap, let alone towels, so these come in handy.

#99793 - Tue Jan 30 2001 11:19 PM Re: Handwashing
fjohn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Wyoming USA Way Out West
Remember the Seinfeld episode where George Costanza was at a reception, enjoying the large bowl of dip and chips when another man caught him "double dipping?" He dipped a chip, took a bite, and dipped again.
Hilarious situation, but it would cure anyone from dipping from a communal bowl of anything intended to be eaten with a chip.

#99794 - Mon Apr 16 2001 12:39 PM Re: Handwashing
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

I'm bringing this up because I think it's a very important thread that needs to be repeated. And, repeated often.

But, even more importantly, I'm bringing it up because of what I just witnessed. I went to McDonalds a few minutes ago. I could see the food preparation area. The girl making my burger (and putting her hands all over each piece of it) didn't have gloves on. When I expressed concern about this, she finally put some on. But, only AFTER my burger was done.

But, that's not what made me the angriest. While waiting for my food, I had a chance to watch some of the other activities behind the counter. One worker mopped the floor, picked up some trash off the ground and then proceeded to scoop up fries for the person behind me. Not ONCE did she make an attempt to wash her hands or even wipe them off in between activities. I've seen this happen once too often in fast food places, and, frankly, it's making me very ill to think about exactly what goes on behind those counters.

And, I'll say it again: IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE CASHIERS HANDLING MONEY, YOU SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHING FOOD AS WELL. Your job should be one or the other. Do NOT touch money then someone's food. Very unhealthy.

I'm just so angry I could spit, to be quite honest.

I'm so incredibly tired of watching people use the bathroom or deal with food items without even thinking of simple soap and water.

I'm telling you, when people ask why I don't touch public (especially restroom) doorknobs, I ask them to watch their fellow humans for one week. One week is all it'll take for them to understand and find that they are not as willing to touch them, either.

#99795 - Mon Apr 16 2001 06:03 PM Re: Handwashing
sand Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Mini Soda
This is also a major pet peeve of mine!

Another health tip is that if you've had a sore throat recently, you should change your toothbrush. If you refill water bottles, you should throw all your old bottles out (or at least wash them thouroughly). Otherwise you could re-infect yourself with bacteria.

#99796 - Tue Apr 17 2001 01:48 PM Re: Handwashing
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Even though I HATE anti-bacterial stuff (it helps create 'super-bugs), I carry around some of that anti-bacterial hand stuff too when I'm at school (and out and about!). Even just washing your hands in a bathroom doesn't always help because, as everyone's said, not everyone washes their hands. So before I eat, I either wash my hands at home (where I know everyone washes there hands and the door handles are clean), or I use that hand gel stuff.

When my entire family had a cold a few weeks ago, I didn't get sick. Why? I became obsessed with not getting sick and consequently, became obsessed with hand washing.

Some other places for germs: computer keyboards and mouses (mice?). ESPECIALLY if you use a public computer! Wash yourhands when you're done and don't eat while using a computer unless you've cleaned off everything you'll touch!

I know this is sad but... library books! You don't know who has taken it out before - don't eat while you read the book! (Who knows, some incredibly gross person may have left it in their bathroom to read.

Oboe/clarinet/sax/bassoon reeds: Like your toothbrush, once you feel 'on the mend' either get a new read or sanitize the one you're using!

Your remote and steering wheel - we've all done it... Sneezed on the remote/steering wheel and one point or another. (Is it just me or does everyone have the hardest time driving when you have to sneeze?)

Editor for Television Category

#99797 - Tue Apr 17 2001 02:16 PM Re: Handwashing
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

First of all, I have to say that I got a chuckle out of the fact that our own Lady McBeth posted to our handwashing thread! That seems particularly appropriate somehow!

Something to keep in mind...antibacterial soaps, goops, etc do NOT necessarily prevent you from getting a cold. Colds are caused by a virus, not bacteria. And, LadyM is correct in saying that they have contributed to the rise of superbugs. That said, however, I use them, too. It's just way too convenient to carry a bottle of the stuff in your purse for those times when there aren't adequate handwashing amenities.

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: Linda1 ]

#99798 - Wed Apr 18 2001 03:53 PM Re: Handwashing
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Well, you know... after trying to get that blood off my hands, I came up with some proven methods!

Editor for Television Category

#99799 - Wed Apr 18 2001 08:43 PM Re: Handwashing
Anonymous
No longer registered

Ya wanna get obsessive about handwashing, try working in a hospital. I have to soak my hands in lotion every day cause I scrub my hands down real hard. Especially before I prepare a meal, or sit down to eat.
wanna get even more obsessive, take a food safety/sanitation class. I gave up on culinary arts cause I was always getting repremanded for taking too much time to wipe down my work area after each preperation. Especially if I was changing from one ingrediant to another. Evidently, the manager has never seen sominella magnified 1000x. The irony, your supposed to do that.

You can rock a cradle, but you can't rock a casbah!

#99800 - Mon Jul 09 2001 04:09 PM Re: Handwashing
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Up to the top - just seems like one of those threads that needs to be revived every once in a while.

#99801 - Thu Jul 12 2001 08:06 AM Re: Handwashing
tyrailia rosenbohm Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, TX
Try being a computer desktop support person and having to touch each user's mouse and keyboard. You can SEE the grime on their mouse, but what can you do? Carry an extra mouse with you every where you go and unhook the users mouse when you need to log on to their computer? Well... the users might think you were a little strange and they might get offended, besides... that would just take too long. i use the wipes. i have to. And I try not to think about where their hands have been.... UGG!

#99802 - Thu Jul 12 2001 09:29 AM Re: Handwashing
StevieRay Offline
Explorer

Loc: NY
Computer Support ???? Fuggetaboutit !
Try taking a NYC subway.
Thankfully, I don't on a regular basis anymore but when I do it always seems to result in a cold.
You may even have to remove some blood stains like Lady Macbeth. Out, out damn spot.....

Steve

#99803 - Wed Jan 16 2002 11:54 AM Re: Handwashing
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Bringing this back up to the top. It needs to see the light of day again.

Also, this was in the newspaper today - thought I'd share it:

quote:
Wednesday January 16 10:38 AM ET
Male Hospital Staff Lax on Handwashing: Study
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Studies have found that men are less strict about handwashing than women are, and new research suggests that the cleanliness gender gap extends to the medical profession.

Australian researchers found that in their institution's critical care unit, male healthcare workers washed their hands one-third less often than female workers did after contact with an invasive instrument or a patient's skin, blood or ''excretions.''

But the sex difference was not seen across all the professions, according to Thea van de Mortel and colleagues at Southern Cross University in Lismore.

Male and female nurses had similarly high handwashing rates after patient contact. As for doctors, women washed their hands 88% of the time, compared with just 54% among men. Female ward workers washed up nearly twice as often their male counterparts, and female radiographers practiced hand hygiene more often than males, the report indicates.

Physical therapists were the most vigilant of all. Both men and women washed their hands after every patient contact observed in the study, according to findings published in a recent issue of the American Journal of Infection Control.

Handwashing is a basic way to limit the spread of germs in any environment. A number of studies in the general population have shown that women and girls are more likely than men and boys to wash their hands in a germ-filled situation, such as after using the bathroom, the researchers point out.

The authors note that these results follow that trend, with the exception of nurses and physical therapists. And they speculate that ``cultural'' differences among the health professions might explain the various handwashing practices.

``Pinpointing how these cultural differences arise may provide a means of boosting handwashing frequency,'' van de Mortel and colleagues write.

Handwashing in the study was assessed by ``covert'' observers from the staff. They followed the handwashing practices of 156 men and 93 women across all hospital shifts, for 3 months.

SOURCE: American Journal of Infection Control 2001;29:395-399.

PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS EVERYONE!!!

#99804 - Wed Jan 16 2002 05:52 PM Re: Handwashing
tjoebigham Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fairhaven Massachusetts USA   
chelseabelle said one should wash under the tips of the fingernails. I've got an even better idea: keep your fingernails clipped short, then bacteria can't hide there and keeping your hands clean will be that much easier. tjoeb};>

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong