Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#998094 - Tue Jul 23 2013 10:27 AM Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
For bugs relating to the new untimed quiz mode, which is now live on the site.

Hopefully it's mostly bug free, but I suspect given the huge variety of quizzes on the site there will be some minor issues.

#998095 - Tue Jul 23 2013 10:47 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I didn't have any issues, it was very fast and all worked fine. Well, apart from my score. wink

#998097 - Tue Jul 23 2013 11:31 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Worked wonderfully.

Perhaps one thing, though, which didn't occur to me until now.

When we get the questions wrong, we can hardly see what we chose that was incorrect. It may be helpful, especially for FITB questions, to see what the incorrect guess had been, which may help with correction notes from accidental mistypes and the like. I'd hate to see someone complain they got a question wrong in a quiz though they were correct, because they couldn't see that they typed "form" instead of "from".

#998135 - Tue Jul 23 2013 03:05 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA

It seems to temporarily lock up when I click My Results. It eventually goes through, but it took a while, and the browser remains "stuck" and I to force-quit the application entirely.

This is inconsistent, can't reproduce it consistently.

Also, I noticed some of the concerns I posted in the other thread weren't addressed:

1. Too wide for narrow mode

2. For some reason, the Yes/No and True/False questions have their answers randomized. Is there some way to make True always before False and Yes always before No, to keep it consistent with the other modes?

#998137 - Tue Jul 23 2013 03:13 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I use narrow mode, and use less than half my screen. Even so, I've still got half the screen blank when I play. It works just fine in narrow mode for me.

You must have your screen set very tiny?

Although, perhaps I just have a large enough screen to make "narrow mode" still fairly large. I don't know. :P

#998138 - Tue Jul 23 2013 03:20 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

I can't speak for your screen; I can only speak for mine, and vice versa. I keep the windows narrower than the 980 pixels that it states in the profile edit page is required for regular mode.

"If you are using a half-screen or are on an old computer, you may wish to use FT in "small screen" mode..."

The old Flash mode worked fine for my half-screen width; this new mode is more of a problem.

Another issue I noticed: What I liked about the old Flash mode is that it kept a running total of the number of questions you got right as you play. You would see something like "4/6 [10]" in the corner -- meaning you've got four right out of 6 questions so far in a 10-question quiz.

Could that be brought to the new mode?

#998147 - Tue Jul 23 2013 03:55 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Germany
You have the number of points instead, maybe this could just be changed to read "correct" and not multiply by 15. It would also cause less confusion compared to the timed version.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Tue Jul 23 2013 03:57 PM)

#998151 - Tue Jul 23 2013 04:11 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Some minor tweaks made.

#998168 - Tue Jul 23 2013 05:38 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Thanks for adding the number of questions correct.
Quote:
It would also cause less confusion compared to the timed version.

In the same spirit, maybe this text should be changed: "You scored 6 questions correct on your first try." Since you only get one try in Untimed Game mode, maybe it could just read, "You answered 6 questions correctly."

Edited by gracious1 (Tue Jul 23 2013 05:39 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#998173 - Tue Jul 23 2013 09:08 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I understand you don't use the full screen. I was curious what size you use. Even when I use less than half my screen, it fits just fine. I was wondering if it wasn't an issue with narrow mode, necessarily, but simply the size you use. Maybe it's even smaller than narrow mode settings, and perhaps an even smaller size is possible, or perhaps even give us the ability for mobile mode even when not on a mobile device?

#998187 - Wed Jul 24 2013 12:14 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

The game is 741 pixels wide.
No changes will be made to that.

#998188 - Wed Jul 24 2013 12:47 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
daBomb619 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Olympia Washington USA       
Is there ANY way to take out the fade between the question, the answer, and the next question? It really slows everything down. The old flash quiz format simply cut from question to answer to question, and it felt much more streamlined.

#998202 - Wed Jul 24 2013 04:56 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Noticed a problem in handling long answer choices in a quiz:

http://www.funtrivia.com/html5/untimed.cfm?qid=360861

It's question #9. The choice is "Christopher Columbus Award for Most Outstanding International Sports Personality". Instead of shrinking the font size, it overflows. The words, "Christopher Columbus Award for Most Outstanding International" fit in the bar, then the words "Sports Personality" spill out below it, between the two answer choices and sort of cut off at the bottom, and they are highlighted.

Edited by gracious1 (Wed Jul 24 2013 05:02 AM)

#998241 - Wed Jul 24 2013 08:45 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: gracious1]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: gracious1
Noticed a problem in handling long answer choices in a quiz:

http://www.funtrivia.com/html5/untimed.cfm?qid=360861

It's question #9. The choice is "Christopher Columbus Award for Most Outstanding International Sports Personality". Instead of shrinking the font size, it overflows. The words, "Christopher Columbus Award for Most Outstanding International" fit in the bar, then the words "Sports Personality" spill out below it, between the two answer choices and sort of cut off at the bottom, and they are highlighted.

Thanks, fixed.

#998242 - Wed Jul 24 2013 08:47 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: daBomb619]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: daBomb619
Is there ANY way to take out the fade between the question, the answer, and the next question? It really slows everything down. The old flash quiz format simply cut from question to answer to question, and it felt much more streamlined.

For an "untimed" game, you are sure in a hurry.

#998258 - Wed Jul 24 2013 10:10 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

There is something I don't like about the fade, but I do like that it allows me to see my answer before it whisks me away.

I'd still like the see the incorrect answer I chose on the answer screen, without the fade. smile

#998263 - Wed Jul 24 2013 10:54 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
daBomb619 Offline
Forum Adept

Originally Posted By: Terry

For an "untimed" game, you are sure in a hurry.

Don't be like that. You asked for feedback, I'm giving you feedback.

The problem mainly stems from the Daily Challenges. When I have a "Take x of these y quizzes" challenge, it's almost entirely quizzes I've already taken before (I don't know what the "challenge" in that is, but whatever). When I get the same quiz THREE TIMES in one week (yes, that has actually happened to me before), it's nice to be able to glance at the question, remember the answer, and be able to speed through the quiz so that I can move on to a better challenge. This new format means I spend up to three times as long on a quiz I've already taken.

Also, is there any way to change FITB questions so that you can see all of the allowed answers after you give your answer? Currently, it just displays one. If the question is "Name one of the two x", it'd be nice to be able to see both of the accepted answers.

Edited by daBomb619 (Wed Jul 24 2013 11:01 AM)

#998265 - Wed Jul 24 2013 11:03 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: daBomb619]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

You asked for feedback, I'm giving you feedback.

You have stated that you dislike anything that has any delay whatsoever about 15 times now. I tried to make things faster based on YOUR complaints. I spent hours improving the interface to help make things better for YOU after the first version had a much longer delay.

I get it. You hate anything other than an exact carbon-copy replica of what was there before. I hear you. You're not happy. Got it. You can stop providing this identical "feedback" now.

I don't ask nor expect everyone to be happy, but I do expect at least a little respect and politeness for trying to cater to your whims, or you're quickly going to find that I turn a deaf ear to anything you post.

Edited by Terry (Wed Jul 24 2013 11:14 AM)

#998266 - Wed Jul 24 2013 11:09 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
Also, is there any way to change FITB questions so that you can see all of the allowed answers after you give your answer? Currently, it just displays one. If the question is "Name one of the two x", it'd be nice to be able to see both of the accepted answers.

Seconded! Sometimes I replay a quiz and get a FITB question wrong just to see the alternate answer, or perhaps to check to see that all variations of an answer were included. wink

#998272 - Wed Jul 24 2013 11:27 AM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
daBomb619 Offline
Forum Adept

Identical feedback? I just gave you two different things right here!

Quote:
The problem mainly stems from the Daily Challenges. When I have a "Take x of these y quizzes" challenge, it's almost entirely quizzes I've already taken before (I don't know what the "challenge" in that is, but whatever). When I get the same quiz THREE TIMES in one week (yes, that has actually happened to me before), it's nice to be able to glance at the question, remember the answer, and be able to speed through the quiz so that I can move on to a better challenge. This new format means I spend up to three times as long on a quiz I've already taken.

And I have been polite and respectful. Nothing but, in fact. I know perfectly well that people won't do things for you if you're rude to them. Believe me, I've worked in customer service long enough to know that.

#998278 - Wed Jul 24 2013 12:03 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
I've noticed that in some very long II sections, the scrollbar hides the last one or two characters to the right.

See for instance question 17 in cowrofl's quiz http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Religion/25-Cases-of-Divine-Retribution----A-to-Z-352010.html.

#998279 - Wed Jul 24 2013 12:07 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: JanIQ]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Originally Posted By: JanIQ
I've noticed that in some very long II sections, the scrollbar hides the last one or two characters to the right.

See for instance question 17 in cowrofl's quiz http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Religion/25-Cases-of-Divine-Retribution----A-to-Z-352010.html.

Hmmm... that one is working fine for me. Must be a font size difference from your browser. What browser, version, and operating system are you using? I'll see if I can reproduce it. Thx.

#998281 - Wed Jul 24 2013 12:30 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Have reproduced it in IE, JanIQ. Will work on a fix!

#998282 - Wed Jul 24 2013 12:34 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Uh-oh, I'm nervous to ask because I don't mean any criticism by the request!!! smile

Is it possible to make the background for the i/i something other than bright white? It hurts my eyes a little when such a large hunk of white flashes up. Even an off-white might help. Thanks.

#998283 - Wed Jul 24 2013 12:36 PM Re: Untimed Quiz Mode Bug Thread [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

We can do a very light yellow or grey -- that would probably look good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Terry