Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#999228 - Mon Jul 29 2013 05:53 PM My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!)
Gheelnory
No longer registered

I've made use of Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing to get my first book up, as an ebook. (I prefer paper, but it seems to make sense to do the ebook first, then convert to paperback, as that takes longer.)

It's a non-fiction book about the activity of writing online--more specifically, having written conversations online. It's called

Forum Finesse: A Guide to Impact and Influence in Online Talk

...and is up at an introductory price of 99 cents (US--and the equivalent in several other currencies).

In the thread made to inform members about editor skunkee's book being published, it's mentioned that ratings and reviews over at Amazon are welcomed.

I definitely feel the same. If you take a look at the book, whether you like it or hate it, I'd love to get feedback over on the Amazon page. I won't link to it as I know that's against the rules--but "Forum Finesse" should show up in search engines, and will definitely show up in Amazon search.

Here's what's offered:

Curious about using forums and message boards? Experienced, but encountering annoyances? This comprehensive guide is for you. It offers tips, tricks, examples, and anecdotes that will illuminate the forum-posting experience for both newcomers and old hands.

What can forum-use do for you?

• Help you learn to be a persuasive communicator
• Give you feedback as you learn to apply your skills
• Provide perspectives on public opinion--local, national, and international
• Expose you to fresh, trending ideas and developments
• Get you quick answers on a huge range of topics
• Deliver doses of humor, and the gratifications of interaction--to refresh and stimulate

Message boarding can be both fun and a productive use of your time.

The Table of Contents is visible in the free preview; as you'll see, there's an emphasis on the basics of good argumentation in the book. Fallacies, trolling, reputation, mobbing, astro-turfing--it's all in there.

I'm grateful for any suggestions and feedback.

#999237 - Mon Jul 29 2013 07:25 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: ]
triviaking162 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: New York USA
Congrats on the eBook publish!

For all the members who are interested in the book, here's a link to the Amazon page for it.

Click Here

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#999298 - Tue Jul 30 2013 06:35 AM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: ]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Well done! It must be something here in the water at FT. Great news!

#999364 - Tue Jul 30 2013 04:18 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: ren33]
Gheelnory
No longer registered

Many thanks, TK and ren33!

Today I read that in 2012, new ebooks were being published on Amazon at the rate of about 4,200 PER DAY. Who knows what that figure may be today?

A lot of competition for people's eyeballs, without doubt.
shocked

#1001350 - Thu Aug 08 2013 11:43 AM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: Anonymous]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
I think I'm registered again--this will be the first test.

(I had a mismatch between email address and screen name between these Forums and the main part of the Fun Trivia site--for years, actually.((I didn't realize that was the case.)) I rarely used the Forums because of the aggravation of constantly being automatically logged off, and having to log in several times during any visit. Sue kindly put in a lot of time and effort into resolving this...fingers crossed as I submit this post...)

ETA: Hurray! Many thanks to Sue for her tenacity and savvy!

Edited by Gheelnory (Thu Aug 08 2013 11:46 AM)
Edit Reason: to celebrate that it went through.^_^

#1002917 - Tue Aug 13 2013 06:22 AM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: Anonymous]
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
Congratulations on your Ebook being published. I hope it sells well and is a great success. It deserves to be, it's very good.

(Given that a book about finding your way around forums, it's rather ironic that you're now classed as 'Learning the ropes' on here! smile We both know it's not the case.)

#1002975 - Tue Aug 13 2013 12:31 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: martin_cube]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: martin_cube
Congratulations on your Ebook being published. I hope it sells well and is a great success. It deserves to be, it's very good.

(Given that a book about finding your way around forums, it's rather ironic that you're now classed as 'Learning the ropes' on here! smile We both know it's not the case.)

Heh. At least it's better than "no longer registered," which is my designation on the post just above the one to which you replied.

It was a heck of an ordeal to get me to the point at which I could post without constantly being booted off, and I'm still grateful to Sue for her work. I'm also grateful to you, Martin, for your kind words about ye olde booke.

I'm now deep into my next book--a children's math-centered picture book. As all in the self-publishing community advise, it doesn't do to obsess about the sales of a book--one should just get cracking on the NEXT book. ^_^

#1012873 - Sat Sep 28 2013 02:54 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: Anonymous]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

My first children's picture book is up, now:

http://www.amazon.com/LC4A-Big-Test-Stor...ords=Big+Test#_

This is "LC4A and the Big Test: A Math Storybook."

A common problem on Amazon: the "Look Inside" preview doesn't show any of the story itself. This is because picture book file sizes are so much bigger than the file sizes of text-only books. The "Look Inside" is limited to the first few KB of your book file, and the illustration on Page 1 probably goes well over that limit. Kind of annoying, but after all Amazon is offering "Look Inside" as a free service, so it would be churlish to complain. (I've submitted a revised version that I hope will let some of the story itself appear...from what I'm told, it will appear eventually.)

I may succeed in getting some of the picture-pages up on the publisher site, in case some are curious.

Anyway, if anyone has kids who find word problems/story problems to be challenging, they may find this worth a look. It's all pedagogically sound (thanks to my degrees in Mathematics Education...^_^)

And it's only 99 cents (or the equivalent in other currencies) for the next couple of weeks.

Kim

#1012909 - Sat Sep 28 2013 06:00 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: Anonymous]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Wow! That's so impressive! I wish I had had that when I was small. I am a complete Maths phobic because of poor teaching and lack of fun in Maths at school.

#1012913 - Sat Sep 28 2013 06:20 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: ren33]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

It's awful that kids are, basically, taught that math is no fun. Because it actually can be quite a lot of fun, if approached as puzzles to solve (instead of as tedious rote memorization and cryptic and impenetrable lists of steps to follow).

I'm gratified by your response--thanks! Of course I'm hoping that people WILL see the book as an antidote to the "no fun" idea...^_^

#1012951 - Sun Sep 29 2013 02:00 AM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: Anonymous]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
I am sure they will. I just happened to have a teacher who, when I said I didn't understand , said (word for word)
"Of course you do. It's easy. Now go and do some more!"

#1013022 - Sun Sep 29 2013 01:12 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: ren33]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Congratulations! It's a wonderful accomplishment.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#1013036 - Sun Sep 29 2013 04:11 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: skunkee]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Thanks, skunkee. I really have learned a lot in the course of this.

#1013037 - Sun Sep 29 2013 04:26 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: ren33]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: ren33
I am sure they will. I just happened to have a teacher who, when I said I didn't understand , said (word for word)
"Of course you do. It's easy. Now go and do some more!"

Shame on that person!

In the course of doing my PhD (in Math Ed) I taught at the university for several years. My main assignment was a required course for prospective elementary teachers. Many of those students had the attitude "how hard can it be to teach kids to subtract 16 from 41? Just tell them to do it!" (and the like.)

I had a technique that I hope and believe (from comments I got) helped them get over this 'it's easy, I'll just tell the kids to DO IT and that's all I need to do' attitude: I began the course with Bases other than Base Ten. This required the prospective teachers to go back to the mindset of a little child who really has no experience in knowing how to do "41 - 16" because they don't know what the 4 and the 1 mean in "41." Many kids are taught a rote "borrowing" technique, without any understanding. It's just memorizing a bunch of rules.

(There was a real mental exercise for these blasé university students in doing "41 - 16" in Base SEVEN, for instance.)

We take the "41 means four tens and one one" for granted and sort of do it on automatic pilot because it's so familiar. But for a child to know that you have four tens and one one (and have to break that down in such a way that you can remove one ten and six ones, and so on), that child has to make a real mental adjustment. It's up to teachers to help them make that adjustment. Saying "of course you know how" is NOT the way!!!

(......sorry; I get a bit het up about this topic!..^_^)

#1013040 - Sun Sep 29 2013 05:39 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: Anonymous]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
41-16? I Still cannot do that without counting on to 21 on my fingers and adding 20. A sum like that makes me panic! I am sure your methods would have not.

#1013192 - Mon Sep 30 2013 03:36 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: ren33]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Originally Posted By: ren33
41-16? I Still cannot do that without counting on to 21 on my fingers and adding 20. A sum like that makes me panic! I am sure your methods would have not.

You've expressed the whole point of my book in a nutshell. (It's similar to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" in that theme is Don't Panic....^_^)

Seriously, I show my little protagonist feeling nervous about the test, but then remembering several things to try, to get a handle on what's going on in each problem.

...And if I can say this without seeing out of line: I genuinely would be grateful for reviews of the book. I can even purchase a copy for anyone who has grabbed the free "Kindle for PC/Mac" download (or who has a Kindle). Please feel free to let me know--I'll check my messages here on the Forum each day.

#1015668 - Sun Oct 13 2013 04:42 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: Gheelnory]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

A companion book is now up on Amazon: "Surprises for Zu-Zu." It's set in the same alien universe as the LC4A "choosing the operation" book, but is a counting book (zero to ten) written in rhyming verse.

Here's a picture from inside:

In that illustration, the young protagonist (an alien creature called a zilk-zork) counts the number of Eye-fish.

It's 99 cents, here:

Surprises for Zu-Zu

...I'm hoping that fellow Fun Trivia members will sympathize with my efforts to improve both my writing and my artwork. I do hope to make a go of this! smile

#1031943 - Mon Jan 27 2014 06:26 PM Re: My 1st Book: A FunTrivia Member, Published (Yay!) [Re: Anonymous]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

I'm going to post here rather than start a new thread, even though this new book--now available on Amazon--differs from the previous three:

This ebook (estimated at about 130 pages) contains three of my expanded retellings of stories collected in Andrew Lang's 1900 The Grey Fairy Book. The original Lang versions are provided for comparison (along with commentary and historical information). The book includes three illustrations, and is available on Amazon for (at the moment) 99 cents US, and the equivalent in other currencies.

Usually when "fairy tales" are mentioned, what is meant are the thirty or so stories we're familiar with from childhood books and Disney movies: Cinderella, Snow White, Hansel and Gretel, Beauty and the Beast, Little Red Riding Hood, and so on.

Retelling these familiar tales has become quite an industry, in books, on television, and in the movies. The fine arts, too, are filled with reactions to the famous stories. And commentary and analysis--for example, Bruno Bettelheim's The Uses of Enchantment; M. L. von Franz's The Interpretation of Fairy Tales (and others); and many books by Jack Zipes (such as Breaking the Spell)--nearly always centers on the familiar tales.

There's good reason for that, of course: it's the often-retold stories that most effectively hook into our unconscious minds, and provide insights we find to be stimulating and significant. Through all the reworkings over the centuries, the familiar stories have been shaped to be accurate reflections of fundamental human truths.

But what about the less-familiar stories? What do they lack? Why aren't they being made into feature films and television shows?

In many cases these stories are obscure because, well…they deserve to be. The metaphors are mixed; the psychology is flawed. The tales contain odd gaps and omissions; they end abruptly; they place great importance on elements that are mysteriously dropped from the narrative with no explanation. Middles don't follow from beginnings, and endings don't follow from either. The stories are not shapely.

Andrew Lang's twelve compilations of tales from around the world, the "colored fairy books," contain 437 stories--nearly four hundred of which are not well known. My mission: to prove that some of them deserve to be moved into the pantheon of the familiar.

I read "The White Wolf" in The Grey Fairy Book some time ago, and was intrigued by the situations and events depicted. But I was terribly frustrated by the story's unsatisfying ending and sketchy portrayals. The same was true of the other stories in Grey Fairy/White Wolf.

It's not only that these otherwise-fascinating stories were unshapely: it's that they lack qualities that most modern readers expect. Like most fairy tales, these three were telegraphic and stylized. Fairy tales rarely invite us into the minds of the protagonists--and worse, rarely offer protagonists who have any discernible personalities.

I fleshed out the characters; while attempting to retain the formal distance and mythic tone of the fairy tales, I did provide some access to the workings of the characters' minds. Where developments were abrupt, I devised plausible foundations; where the action seemed unmotivated, I suggested driving forces. Where characters were generic ciphers, I looked for individuality to highlight.

In short, I approached these stories--unshapely, yet compelling, strange, and colorful--as a story doctor.

For 99 cents, I hope you (the reader of this lengthy post!) will judge whether or not my doctoring was successful.

(For this book, I'm glad to say, Amazon has put up a good-sized "Look Inside" preview. If anyone is interested in this book but doesn't want to invest in a Kindle, there's a free download at Amazon of "Kindle for Mac" and "Kindle for PC"--which are both quite useful, given the number of free reference books available. I'd advise grabbing the downloads at Amazon itself, rather than from a third party. It's quick and easy--and it's fun to get all the free goodies available for it.)

Grey Fairy/White Wolf

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom