Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1002738 - Mon Aug 12 2013 12:39 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Groundsel on Ham Lands which runs alongside Teddington Lock on the River Thames

Edited by satguru (Mon Aug 12 2013 12:39 PM)

UN IPCC

#1002748 - Mon Aug 12 2013 12:58 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: martin_cube]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
Wow, Martin--your timing had to be just right, to get that. (Same with the bee photo, now that I think of it.)

Looks as though it was a nice day for the aero-show.

#1002849 - Mon Aug 12 2013 10:24 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Still in the church in Couvertoirade, here's the holy water or baptismal font, not sure which:

#1002881 - Tue Aug 13 2013 12:40 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
Tekka Offline
Explorer

Loc: Vancouver
BC Canada
I'm so enjoying everyone's photos - such a wonderful variety. One that has stayed with me is yours Howie, of the bird over Cook Straight, it is just beautiful. What kind of bird is it? Some of your photos from your ferry trip remind me of sailing through the islands off the coast here in western Canada.

#1002903 - Tue Aug 13 2013 03:27 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Timaru NZ
I am not quite sure what the bird is, possibly a juvenile black-backed seagull.

#1002904 - Tue Aug 13 2013 03:41 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: Howie72]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

Avoiding a head on collision with the 'Kaitaki' in a slightly more choppy Cook Straight though less than the 11 metre swells they had in about a week to 10 days after my crossing. The lower north Island with the wind turbines in the background.

#1002913 - Tue Aug 13 2013 05:47 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Some galahs on the nature strip outside our house last week. A galah is also an Aussie slang expression for a fool. Rather unfair on these rather intelligent birds (but their antics and squawking can be rather hilarious)!

#1002967 - Tue Aug 13 2013 11:51 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
They look like a type of cockatoo Mike, is that a crest on the head?

#1003027 - Tue Aug 13 2013 04:47 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

The train coming in Golders Green, Brent Cross station is in the background

UN IPCC

#1003048 - Tue Aug 13 2013 07:03 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Howie: I, too, liked the bird flying very much - way cool how the sun is glinting off the bird itself! Sounds like an interesting (if not macabre) trip to Norway! Got a chuckle re the descriptive text that accompanied the "tunnelway" pic. Maybe you should write a book about travels?

David: Love all your train pix. Liked the reflection in the water of your Kew pic as well - nice effect!

SpanishLiz: Great hat - glad you found one!

nannywoo: but you have the Smithsonian which is much closer to your location. I want to go there someday. The provincial museum where we live isn't very big and the permanent exhibitions are Canadian for the most part, so the "contents" are not that old (but we do get "travelling exhibits" sometimes). Not free though, like the British Museum!

ClaraSue: Hah! I think that's the coolest pic I've seen in awhile. Did the "for sale" sign also have a blurb that it was "only eaten at by a little old lady in Pasadena"? : )

Mike: Purdy boids!

Santana: love Cookie and the shots of all that wonderful stonework - yowzah (btw is there a "slang" french word that sort of translates to yowzah? - I know there's magnifique, but that seems too formal)

Martin: "Master of the pun" around here and you didn't change your signature on the 3rd to last pic you posted to read "BEEzinga" instead? Tsk, lol.

#1003065 - Tue Aug 13 2013 09:05 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Yes, Chris, that is a crest on the galah, and it often often flares as they're strutting around (or whatever the correct verb is for crests being raised!)

Yes, galahs are cockatoos. Their other, far less commonly used, names are Rose-breasted Cockatoo or Roseate Cockatoo.

Perhaps I'm simply noticing it more, but we seem to be getting more large flocks of native birds in and around Melbourne. Along with these galahs (and they number in the thousands just around our suburb), we've recently had large numbers of sulfur-crested cockatoos and cockatiels. Melbourne has been wet, so there's more water around than normal.

#1003071 - Tue Aug 13 2013 09:23 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Quote:
yowzah (btw is there a "slang" french word that sort of translates to yowzah? - I know there's magnifique, but that seems too formal)

In the 60's(!) we used to say "la Vache!"which was near to "Wow" then. Toni will know.

#1003111 - Wed Aug 14 2013 02:00 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

The Pacific Ocean was a tad on the wild side over the last couple of days so I took a detour around the dashing rocks walkway on the way home on August 13th.

#1003119 - Wed Aug 14 2013 04:54 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
"La vache" is still the best approximation, ren, you haven't lost your touch!

Love your little bit of raging ocean Howie!

Yet another, but possible the last, photo from Couvertoirade from me for today. I wanted to show the rooftops, many of which have the singularity of being made of stone, not slate or tile:

#1003137 - Wed Aug 14 2013 05:50 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I keep a little camera in the glove compartment in my car just in case there is ever a need for a photo. This morning I pulled into the garage to buy petrol and saw this little beauty having its tyres checked.

I spoke to the owner and asked how long he had owned it, about twenty years. I had assumed that he had just bought it as I saw it the other week when the grandchildren were in the car, and that was the first time that I had seen it.

Edited by sue943 (Wed Aug 14 2013 05:50 AM)

#1003248 - Wed Aug 14 2013 11:22 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: Jakeroo]
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo

Martin: "Master of the pun" around here and you didn't change your signature on the 3rd to last pic you posted to read "BEEzinga" instead? Tsk, lol.

I must admit I hadn't thought of that one Jake. (If I had, I'd probably have gone with "BEE-STINGA!" or something. Fortunately for everyone, I didn't.)

Great shot Howie. You almost feel the raw power of the waves.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Another photo of the steam train in the station at Kingswear.

#1003267 - Wed Aug 14 2013 01:34 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
nannywoo Offline
Participant

Loc: North Carolina USA
I LOVE the Smithsonian! And there are excellent museums in North Carolina, too. Hard to get away, but - meanwhile - I'll enjoy the trip vicariously, here in my armchair. Thanks for sharing the images.

#1003356 - Wed Aug 14 2013 06:11 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Thanks Jake, I've done the long trips for this year and can now relax and go back to trying to find more artistic than locational shots.

Here are some typical houses in Golders Green which I'd like to live in but slightly (by around 100%) too expensive.

UN IPCC

#1003563 - Thu Aug 15 2013 02:13 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

The light was just right over the local country park today

UN IPCC

#1003583 - Thu Aug 15 2013 03:19 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
martin_cube Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bristol England UK        
Is it a bird?

Is it a plane??

No, it's SUPERGROMIT!

This is one of 80 giant Gromit statues in and around Bristol this summer. Each one is painted
differently, some by celebrities, and are made of fibreglass. They are intended to raise money
for the Bristol Children's Hospital and have proved to be very popular with tourists,
people have come from all over the world to see them according to todays local paper.

#1003719 - Fri Aug 16 2013 04:17 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: martin_cube]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

New Zealand's first lighthouse situated at Pencarrow Head at the entrance to Wellington Harbour. It was first lit in 1859 and was often obsured by fog and low cloud so a new lighthouse was built on the beach in 1906. The original was extinguished in 1935 on the same day a replacement lightouse was lit at Baring Head.

#1003792 - Fri Aug 16 2013 08:47 AM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
OnimisiB Offline
Explorer

Loc: Abuja Nigeria

Let's go back in time. Here is the meeting point of Man & Lions. This is the passage way for the lion to enter the circus arena.

Lion's Entry by Onimisi Baiye, on Flickr

Circus where people are fed to Lions
Roman Ruins, constructed in 1 AD in Tipasa, Algiers, Algeria

#1003828 - Fri Aug 16 2013 12:23 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: OnimisiB]
JaneMarple Offline
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Love the Gromit statue! smile

A photo of our back garden with a real "Mary Poppins" kite tied to the washing line, made with newspaper and string for the Princes entertainment!! smile

#1003843 - Fri Aug 16 2013 01:48 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
Gheelnory Offline
Explorer

Loc: Florida USA
That "Lion's Entry" photo is chilling--imagine being the person or persons who first thought of building a facility for lions to savage humans for public entertainment. Not a nice mind to inhabit!

I love the Bristol Gromits. We've had fiberglass cows in the USA (and other creatures, too--dolphins, for example) as charitable-donation raisers, but I hadn't heard of any for a while. It was kind of Nick Park to donate the rights to his character for this purpose.

(I found this interesting article online: http://www.bristol-culture.com/2013/06/2...by-nick-park-2/
)

#1003855 - Fri Aug 16 2013 02:56 PM Re: Hello August! [Re: ren33]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
Great photos, everyone! Love Gromit - I'll never give up my Wallace and Gromit VCR tapes - the only reason I keep a VCR player.

If that is the passageway for the lions to enter, wonder if the human passageway is the same?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33