Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence!

Posted by: delboy22

Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 10:12 AM

Sue made a rather bold statement on another thread regarding the quality of Marmite over Vegemite - then threw down the gauntlet to anyone who disagrees hehehehe

I'm staying out of this one ladies - I hate the site of blood! hehehehe
Posted by: bubbafudd

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 10:31 AM

I've had the displeasure of trying Vegemite so, I think I'll pass on the Marmite.

Care to join me for a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich?
Posted by: Jar

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 10:47 AM

Uh Oh, now you've gone and done it delboy! The debate of the ages. We've had this discussion before, and remember people, there is no longer a Controversial Issues Forum!

I have had Vegemite, not had the (dubious) pleasure of tasting Marmite. I sort of think I can pass on either one. We have a shop here in town called the "British Emporium" and I'm not so sure just how long those jars have been sitting on the shelf.....
Posted by: L_A_Best

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 11:03 AM

I love Marmite! Over here you also get Bovril which is a cheap imitation. Never tried Vegemite and probably won't. My allegiance is to Marmite. I'll take it on toast, crackers, bread, in soup, stews or in a cup of hot water for a nice savory drink. It goes very well with cheese.
Posted by: gillimalta

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 11:29 AM

Bleurgh! 'Nuff said, methinks!
Posted by: sue943

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

I love Marmite! Over here you also get Bovril which is a cheap imitation. Never tried Vegemite and probably won't. My allegiance is to Marmite. I'll take it on toast, crackers, bread, in soup, stews or in a cup of hot water for a nice savory drink. It goes very well with cheese.

Bovril and Marmite are completely different, Bovril is beef extract, Marmite is yeast extract, the only similarity is the shape of the jars! I love them both of course.
Posted by: Copago

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 03:19 PM

Quote:

I have had Vegemite, not had the (dubious) pleasure of tasting Marmite. I sort of think I can pass on either one. We have a shop here in town called the "British Emporium" and I'm not so sure just how long those jars have been sitting on the shelf.....

It won't matter - that stuff will survive a nuclear war!

Vegemite for me (duh), there was a moment of panic in my house when the 'new' vegemite came out when we weren't quite sure if it were replacing the real stuff or adding to teh range.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 03:34 PM

Sue - looking at your avatar alongside copago's - I would say Marmite wins hands down, because the Veggiemight jar is a kinda straight up and down guy - the Marmite jar is kinda curvy and cute! lol

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 03:45 PM

Ren, I feel bad you are outnumbered in avatars - one Marmite versus 2 Vegemite. Well.... Since it is a "curvy Jar" you can make Marmite my avatar any time you want!
Posted by: Tobyone

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 04:09 PM

It took the Marston/Marmite "sledge" in support of England for the Ashes (cricket) to seriously unsettle our team.

I've tried Marmite and subsequently have never left Australia without an emergency supply of Vegemite, The Wonder Spread.

Very versatile Vegemite:

Vegemite toast with a glass of Coke is the greatest hangover cure.

Vegemite and beer makes a tasty marinade for BBQ meat.

Vegemite takes the sting out of insect bites.

An avocado, Rocket and Vegemite sandwich is a taste sensation.

An ailing dog can often be tempted to eat a Vegemite toast soldier.

For now - over to the Marmies.
Posted by: The_lioness33

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 04:33 PM

Vegemite Vegemite Vegemite Vegemite!

Yum

Copago: I was a little worried when the new stuff came out too. I haven't tried it yet though...
Posted by: purcy

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 05:01 PM

Definately an acquired taste, and not one I like aaagh.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 05:24 PM

Time for another poll - in 2006 it was 55% in favour of Marmite and 73% not liking Vegemite!
Posted by: ClaraSue

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 06:30 PM

I put in my vote for the 'love vegemite'. I have a jar of both and I will eat the marmite, but not until my vegemite is gone (which is going to happen soon, I fear). I will have to get one of our Aussies to send me a jar since I've lost touch with my New Zealand friend who gave me the jar in the first place. I have found Marmite in the U.S. but so far, not the Vegemite. If anybody in the U.S. knows where I can get one, please let me know! .
Posted by: Lones78

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 08:50 PM

Vegemite is the best I think.

I have also been advised to use it on my Frangipanis when I take cuttings of them to help them heal. Equal parts, Aloe Vera, Honey & Vegemite do the trick

Snails also dont like it. I have a jar in the gardening shed to rub around the stems of my young frangipanis in winter so the snails dont climb up and eat the ends of the branches.

I think the fact that you can get Vegemite flavoured rusk sticks for teething babies says a lot as well...
Posted by: ren33

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Ren, I feel bad you are outnumbered in avatars - one Marmite versus 2 Vegemite.

Did you mean Sue?
I have had this avatar for ages, so in fact we have two for Marmite. Wanabees can gladly copy mine if they wish.
Marmite rusks have been around for years. I did taste Vegemite once, the rest of the jar went on the axles of our tractor.Yukkkk!!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Jul 23 2009 10:02 PM

Well, guess I just want to help out the underdog, and it seems to be Vegemite now. Although, it looks like it is a tie in the works! When's the cut off for voting Sue?
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 01:10 AM

Some interesting results, eh, Sue?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Some interesting results, eh, Sue?

Rigged, besides it has been daytime in Aussieland and night in Blightie.
Posted by: Lottie1001

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 03:32 AM

I'm worried about the people who voted for the third option! What were they doing eating sump oil and/or axle grease?
Posted by: dippo

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 04:52 AM

I believe both products are made from yeast, as a by product of the brewing industry. Since we all know that British beer is far superior to the Australian imitation, then it follows that the by product will also be better, so surely there's no need for a vote. I wonder how many of these misguided Vegemite supporters have actually experienced the real thing.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:51 AM

Vegemite is winning!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:54 AM

The New Zealand Marmite must not be compared to real Marmite, the NZ one contains caramel, as does Vegemtite and Promite. the genuine article doesn't contain caramel or sugar.
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:29 AM

Someone said I should take yeast tablets once, I opened the bottle and the smell! *shudders* No way would my nose let my mouth open for one of those - it was worse than durian!

The cat had some flea tablets once that smelled the same *shudders* but he tried to eat several at once.

When he got very old and frail, someone told me that cats like Marmite so I went to the supermarket and actually bought some. *shudders*

I got home, opened the jar, *shudders*, made a little broth for the cat and when it was cool, put it in his bowl *shudders* - the cat took one sniff and ran away!

PS I smelled some Vegemite when I was in Oz, it's just as bad!
Posted by: lady1

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:33 AM

LA Best I must disagree with you, Bovril is not a 'cheap' immitation - they cost the same!

Since I have not tasted Vegimite I will have to vote for Marmite since I prefer it to Bovril.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:38 AM

Quote:

Since I have not tasted Vegimite I will have to vote for Marmite since I prefer it to Bovril.

That is really like comparing an apple with a pear, both are fruit but not alike. Marmite and Bovril only have the jar shape and colour in common, completely different ingredients, one is vegetarian the other contains beef.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 08:35 AM

Sue - would you agree that the closest equivalent to 'Bovril' would be a beef stock cube - OXO for instance?
Marmite is indeed a totally different taste I confess, I have never tasted vegemite, so I really, in all fairness, am unable to make a judgement
Posted by: L_A_Best

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 09:48 AM

Lady1 - Perhaps I used the word cheap in the wrong context. After having had both. My hubby is a die hard fan of Marmite and despite the difference in ingredients as Sue points out my hubby is of the opinion that Bovril is someone's "cheap" poor imitation of Marmite.

You've seen that advert on the TV where the guy has a Marmite birthday cake and goes out with the girlfriend on the backseat and the marmite jar in the passenger seat. Reminds me a little of my hubby. He once made a marmite and peanut butter sandwich. There was also the cold beans and marmite on toast and he did attempt to turn the marmite into a dip with his chips once.
Posted by: rayven80

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 03:30 PM

Forgive me but what is Marmite? I've tried Vegemite when we had a few Australians at work. No offense but you can keep it.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 04:02 PM

I don't blame you, I once bought a jar and couldn't bring myself to actually try it - ewk.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

I once bought a jar and couldn't bring myself to actually try it.

Therein lies your problem, Sue. It really is quite yummy. Just look at any one of the 20 million Aussies that were reared on it, and you will notice that there is absolutely wrong with ANY of us!

And Dippo, please do not bring beer into the equation. We gave you Fosters, but it is not possible to get English beer in Australia. The reason is that no-one will drink it, not even the expat Poms, who probably came here to get away from it! I ask you, how do you drink beer at room temperature? It is just not natural.
Posted by: jonnowales

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:32 PM

Well I must stay true to my British origins and opt for Marmite I am almost drooling just thinking about it BUT *gets ready to dodge the jar of Vegemite being thrown at me from Jersey*, I don't mind Vegemite either! Sue, don't worry, I added my name to the Marmite list!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Therein lies your problem, Sue. It really is quite yummy. Just look at any one of the 20 million Aussies that were reared on it, and you will notice that there is absolutely wrong with ANY of us!

Apart from being not being able to string a sentence together. Is there an important word missing in your last sentence, I can't work out if it is 'nothing' or 'plenty'?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:45 PM

Oops! I forgot my Vegemite on toast for brekky! Please insert the word 'nuffin' after 'absolutely'.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 05:46 PM

Perhaps I ought to change all the Australians' avatars.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:00 PM

Terry may object, as he will have to refund hundreds of Gold Memberships.
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Jul 24 2009 06:31 PM

I have tried both and have to say that Vegemite wins hands down! Like Ozzz, I was raised on it. While living in California, I 'converted' quite a few Americans. The trick is to smear it on thinly. I discovered that most Americans try to spread it on too thick, like they do with peanut butter.

When coolcat90 was at school, and her friends would stay for a meal or for a sleepover, they inevitably requested my spaghetti bolognese for dinner, which had a bit of a reputation for being quite good. Coolcat90 would tell them "Mum has a secret ingredient" - it was a dollop of Vegemite!

I haven't tried the new vegemite/cheese blend yet and don't think I want to.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat Jul 25 2009 04:00 AM

This thread is getting more intriguing by the hour! lol

I hate to say this Sue, but I am anxious to try this 'miracle mix' known as vegemite ......... the whole nation of Australia can't be TOTALLY wrong! Can they?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat Jul 25 2009 04:04 AM

It really is what you are used to if you have been raised on one or the other. The recipes are simply not the same, if you like caramel in the mix then it will be Vegemite, if you don't then it is Marmite.

During WWII Marmite was extensively used by the armed forces as it treated various ills due to the high content of B vitamins.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat Jul 25 2009 04:10 AM

"During WWII Marmite was extensively used by the armed forces as it treated various ills due to the high content of B vitamins."

And beyond WWII Sue - I always remember a giant pot of good old marmite available at ALL mealtimes in the cookhouse, during my army service

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat Jul 25 2009 06:33 AM

When I was in hospital in Jersey just over four years ago I asked for the Marmite at breakfast time and was given the jar to help myself so when I was transferred to a hospital in the UK I assumed they would have some available - not so, they had jams and marmalade but no Marmite. I asked the sister in charge of the ward to telephone my daughter as a matter of urgency to ask her to buy me a jar before coming to visit me. My poor daughter got a nasty shock to receive the telephone call from the hospital, I really ought to have thought it through, I had been air-lifted by private air ambulance to the UK and was in the high dependency unit, my daughter must have though that I had carked it! Still, she bought the Marmite.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat Jul 25 2009 03:44 PM

LOL your poor daughter ... hope she got a chuckle out of it after the shock of the call.
Posted by: triviapaul

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Sep 07 2009 08:37 AM

Now, I may be a latecomer to the discussion, BUT...
Joy oh joy, in their infinite wisdom, my local supermarket has decided to add Marmite to their stock. Needless to say, the pot was in my trolley before I even finished the thought "Ooooh, look, Marmite". With great anticipation, I smeared some on a piece of bread and sampled...
It is SALTY my goodness it is salty, not even salt is this salty. Salt with a bit of a funky smell. It looks and tastes somewhat like the paste they use to make miso soup . Still, I have to acknowledge its addictive properties. The only familiar taste that comes close to it, is Maggi Aroma and I am a great fan of it. It will come as no surprise, that one of the main ingredients is yeast extract. The difference is, Maggi is used as a soup seasoner, to be used very sparingly, not as something you eat on toast.
To conclude, in the Epic Battle of the Yeast Extracts, my vote goes to Maggi (which, I have to admit, is like commenting on The Ashes saying "I think I like football better").
Posted by: BurgGurl

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Sep 07 2009 09:30 AM

I'd honestly like to get in on the debate, however I don't know where I might find either in these parts. Maybe there are some specialty shops in the DC area that carry items like these - I'll have to contact ArlingtoVA and ask him if he knows. I've already gone to netgrocer.com and neither is available there.

Edited to add:

I've done some digging and found Foods of All Nations in Charlottesville stocks Bovril and Marmite, sorry no Vegemite - too far to drive but they'll ship it. 12.75 for 250g. Also found Oxtail Soup from Knorr, though the FDA won't allow sales....

Foods of All Nations/Great Britain

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Sep 07 2009 03:00 PM

Tracey, I have found jars of marmite in specialty kitchen supply stores. You know, those stores that sell espresso machines, pots/pans, and other strange doodads. You might want to try one of those.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Sep 07 2009 03:11 PM

I just went to Amazon and found they carry both. Not sure if you can get it locally as I did not put it in my basket. Thought it was interesting they sell both together, too!

They also sell Bovril, Spotted Dick Sponge Pudding, and Haggis!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 05:40 AM

I found both in World Market on Sunday, (a local chain that sells all kinds of household items from around the world) 125g and 150g - so not big servings and if I shouldn't ever want to try them again at least I didn't spend much. Now I have to find the nerve to try them! Which should I do first? Are they like beers where you start with the lightest tasting? I'd like to do it right, so which cracker is best? Or should I treat it like PB and smear it on bread?

BTW, this store carries a giant assortment of candies. What should I be sampling? I did walk out with a bag of Tea candies from Bali, looking forward to trying those!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 05:53 AM

I would recommend trying Marmite for the first time on buttered toast. After that, you'll probably like it so much you'll want to try it on all sorts of things!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 06:40 AM

Just dont put your Vegemite on your toast an inch thick. Just smear lightly until you get used to the taste.
It's also nice to put a spoonful or so in mashed potato, adds a bit of 'body' to it

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 06:49 AM

Quote:

Just dont put your Vegemite on your toast an inch thick. Just smear lightly until you get used to the taste.
It's also nice to put a spoonful or so in mashed potato, adds a bit of 'body' to it

Wouldn't it also add color? I don't know how I'd feel about brown potatoes!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 07:18 AM

You would not need enough to colour it, you really only need to very lightly smear it at first, it is only well seasoned palates that could take it spread thickly, and even then our eyes might water!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 07:32 AM

I spread some Marmite onto bread and butter to show you what you ought to be doing as a novice. The piece on the right is what you ought to be aiming for, the one on the left is for those used to eating it.

Marmite spread on bread

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 08:06 AM

Wow Sue, thanks for the tip. It looks like Apple Butter to me in those photos. My mother used to eat that, but I never developed a taste for it. I like salty tastes, so maybe this won't be so difficult an experiment for me. I have toasted some bagels this morning and left half of one without my Boursin so that I might use it for this purpose. Would an onion bagel be acceptable or would it confuse the flavor?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 08:19 AM

Being a newby myself in the marmite/vegemite world (4-5 years now ), I wouldn't use an onion bagel for the first time. I now eat mine on wheat bread with butter and I spread it on as thick as a pro.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 08:24 AM

Some nasty people would suggest that masking the flavour of Marmite would be a good thing...

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 08:56 AM

Quote:

Some nasty people would suggest that masking the flavour of Marmite would be a good thing...

Probably the same people who say vegemite tastes like sump oil smells.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Sep 24 2009 04:05 PM

A small spoonful is not enough to colour your potatoes brown. It just adds a bit of flavour to something pretty boring. Adding a bit of grated cheese as well is nice

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Sep 25 2009 12:16 AM

Vegemite is wonderful on crumpets. You spread the butter on, and then you spread the vegemite. And Mmmmmmmmm.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Sep 25 2009 12:53 AM

Oh, yuk, yuk, yuk!
My husband does that! He also puts it on pancakes and my 11 month old daughter loves it on milk arrowroot biscuits.
For me, it's toast and bread (but with butter as well), and occasionally spooned out of the jar if I'm feeling a bit run-down

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Sep 25 2009 05:53 AM

So everyone agrees, no matter which side you are on - Marmite or Vegemite - butter is a must?

....today's the day!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Sep 25 2009 06:45 AM

Butter is definitely a must.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Sep 25 2009 08:16 PM

If you dont have butter, it will be hard getting it down. Vegemite is pretty dry, sort of like peanut butter, but not as cloying.
Good luck...

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Sep 29 2009 06:17 AM

Quote:

Butter is definitely a must.

That explains why I considered the taste less than impressive until now. I will go out and purchase some buttery comestibles and continental crumpet equivalents forthwith.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Sep 29 2009 10:10 AM

BurgGurl?? What's the verdict?
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 12:12 AM

Saw this story about "renaming" Vegemite. Don't know how the Aussies feel about this one...

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 12:25 AM

Quote:

Saw this story about "renaming" Vegemite. Don't know how the Aussies feel about this one...

It isnt a re-naming of the 'original' Vegemite that we Aussie's kicked up a stink about. That one wont be going anywhere soon. It was a new version they released - with a little less 'bang and sizzle' on the tongue. It is essentially Vegemite mixed with cream cheese and you have to keep it in the fridge as opposed to in the cupboard (because of the cheese I am assuming).

Even you lot not living in Australia and not brought up on the stuff might be able to stomach the new version

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 12:29 AM

Dave, it is not renaming it, as such- it is quite a new product. It is a lot milder than the original- probably aimed at the overseas market.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about both the new product and the new name. The product seems to be catching on, but the name has been roundly panned. The consensus is that it was a marketing ploy by Kraft, employing the old saw that any publicity is good publicity.

I think the name 'iSnack 2.0' is totally ridiculous myself, and cannot wait until it gets changed to something a bit more descriptive. It sounds like it is named after a computer game. It may create a secondary market, as the jars may become collectors items. I have tucked one away, just in case.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 01:38 AM

Do tell, Greg, why would the jars be collectors'items? Is it because the new product is even more gross than Vegemite and won't last as no one will buy it, therefore the jars become collectibles. I cannot think of any other reason as the jar is a boring shape, not interesting like the Marmite jar.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 02:04 AM

The labels would be the collectable part. It is a shrink-wrap type plastic label that would not destroy easily, and I suspect that it will only be on the market for a short time.

Of course, I could be wildly wrong, and will be responsible for cupboards around the nation being stocked with hundreds of jars of Vegemite.

"...new product is even more gross than Vegemite and won't last as no one will buy it."- And I am NOT going to bite at this totally inflamatory statement.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 09:29 AM

Looks like no one saw the quote marks around the word "renaming." My question is why would someone take something that people like and change it to cause such a stir? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 12:05 PM

I suppose you could ask the folk at Coca Cola the same question. Remember 'New Coke'?

I cannot answer your question, Dave, without using the words 'brain explosion'. It is just corporate lunacy.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

I suppose you could ask the folk at Coca Cola the same question. Remember 'New Coke'?

Yes, I remember the fiasco...1985 was the year.

Quote:

I cannot answer your question, Dave, without using the words 'brain explosion'. It is just corporate lunacy.

Granted, I don't eat Vegemite, but knowing how Australians like it, it is indeed corporate lunacy.

How would the Marmite eaters feel if someone did that to them? (sorry to leave the Marmiters out )
Posted by: cydonia325

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Remember 'New Coke'?

Yes, I do. I also remember the delightful 'Pepsi Blue', which provided your RDA of Blue Dye #1.

Sorry, I did not intend to derail the thread. Returning to the issue of The Marmite Vegemite Wars
I am a staunch defender of Marmite. I stock both products in the house, since my son will only eat Vegemite.

One of my children is autistic. Like many other children on the spectrum, he is a tremendously fussy eater. He won't eat foods that are not highly salted. I am quite certain he would be happy to munch on handfuls of Sea Salt!

ecnalubma suggested that I try giving my son some Vegemite on toast, as nutrition is a constant concern. I had Marmite in the house, but no dice. However, my son is loving the Vegemite! I don't understand how he can tolerate 3 tablespoons of the stuff on one slice of toast, but it is the only source of iron and B Vitamins in his diet. Unless Cheetos are secretly a nutritional goldmine, but this fact is kept off the label in case children might be frightened off by the thought of eating such a healthy snack food.

(edited to reflect that I could not spell the word "ambulance" backwards)
Posted by: MollyGrue

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 05:18 PM

I don't think I could try either if I had some, on the other hand my husband said he tried Vegemite once, he claims it tastes like salty earwax he's never had Marmite.
Posted by: Squisher

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 05:36 PM

Gee, I'm way late on this debate, but here's my 2 cents! I've tried both and I MUCH PREFER Marmite. I didn't care for Vegemite at all.

I think what turns a lot of people off is that they spread too much of it on whatever they're eating. A little dab'll do ya! It's great on toast! I ate quite a bit of it as a kid.
Posted by: MarchHare007

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 07:12 PM

*launches self into the fray*....

I'm a Vegemite Kid!
My favourite vegemite eat treat is on hot buttered toast *bliss* but hot vegemite toast with a poached egg or buttered saos with vegemite and cheese run close!

My daughter spent 4 months in Georgia with CCUSA and found two Americans who were hooked on vegemite and carried their own supplies.
She did show them how to make their vegemite toast 'properly' - and then all the available councellors Embraced the Change!

They are now also hooked on Tim Tams (a chocolate biscuits) as well!

As for iSnack.... - look what's happened now!

www.news.com.au/business/story/0,27753,26185420-462,00.html

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 11:06 PM

mmmm saos with vegemite and cheese - haven't had that in years. I might just go down the shops this arvo and get me some saos!

And I have my jar of iSnack2.0 in my cupboard (for posperity). There is heaps of it on the shelves of my local shop, I might just buy some more jars (just in case) when I go down and get some saos.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 03 2009 11:33 PM

Could be history making Lones!

Did you do the vitawheat (sandwich) with the butter and vegemite 'worms' too?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Nov 04 2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Remember 'New Coke'?

Yes, I do. I also remember the delightful 'Pepsi Blue', which provided your RDA of Blue Dye #1.

Or Crystal Pepsi for that matter.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Nov 04 2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Did you do the vitawheat (sandwich) with the butter and vegemite 'worms' too?

What Australian child hasn't done that?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Nov 05 2009 01:10 AM

I want one again! I haven't had one in ages.

That will be my lunch tomorrow.
Posted by: MadMags

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Nov 05 2009 06:16 PM

Ok, now you have to explain to us uninitiated in the ways of yeast spreads, what vegemite worms are!

Quote:

They are now also hooked on Tim Tams (a chocolate biscuits) as well!

*Jumps up and down* Me too, me too! A friend just sent me nine (count 'em, nine! ) assorted packs of Tim Tams, as well as a box of Cadbury favourites. Seriously, they have to be the best cookie in the world! I just may have to move to Australia......

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Nov 05 2009 07:19 PM

It's simple really, 'Vegemite worms' occur when you get 2 crackers with holes in them, spread with Vegemite, then squish together. The Vegemite has to go somewhere so it comes up through the holes in the cracker hence the reference to 'worms'

And for those who like Tim Tams, I just won a year's supply of them! It's for work though and we'll go through them in a couple of months but at least we wont need to buy any for a while.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Nov 05 2009 08:04 PM

A year's supply Lones? I think you need the Genie for that...a Never Ending supply!

Mags you lucky thing - aren't they Just the Best! *yummie*

I love a Tim Tam Slam with my coffee (or hot chocolate) too!
You bite off opposite corners from the Tim Tam...and suck the hot drink through it and then pop it into you mouth before it implodes! *bliss*

Oooops...sorry.

*pushes thread back on track*

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Nov 05 2009 09:54 PM

A year's supply (according to Arnotts) is 48 packets - which is 2 cartons. 1 will be delivered soon and the second in April next year. Almost as good as the genie
The boys I work with are really looking forward to them.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Nov 05 2009 10:53 PM

Just as well it's not to be delivered on April 1st Lones!

So 1.4 and a bit Tim Tams per day.....and how many fellas do you work with?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Nov 05 2009 11:55 PM

Quote:

A year's supply (according to Arnotts) is 48 packets - which is 2 cartons.

*scoff* they don't know what they're talking about!
I can imagine races to the tea room at your work come smoko.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Nov 06 2009 12:00 AM

There are 3 women and 12 men here where I work. Not enough Tim Tams to go around but not everyone eats them (phew!). We worked out that the win would save us about $120. Not too bad.
Of course we had to buy all those packets of Tim Tams (and eat them) to enter the competition in the first place (I think I entered about 20 times).
We can now spend the money we save on Tim Tams on the Coke that the boys out in the workshop seem to have hooked up to an intravenous drip.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 09 2009 02:17 AM

I have a new convert to the vegemite crowd!

I made my Japanese student a vegemite sandwich, and she loved it. Apparently it tastes like Miso Soup.

yay

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 09 2009 04:49 PM

Excellent lioness!

When your Japanese student returns home, they can convert Japan and Vegemite can attain
World Domination!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 09 2009 06:39 PM

Here is a link to let you know that Marmite is available in Japan, but sadly Vegemite is not popular. Oh dear

http://www.deepkyoto.com/?tag=marmite

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 09 2009 06:49 PM

Oh Ren - then there's scope for a Whole New Market right at your back door!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 09 2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Here is a link to let you know that Marmite is available in Japan, but sadly Vegemite is not popular. Oh dear

<a href="http://www.deepkyoto.com/?tag=marmite" target="_blank">http://www.deepkyoto.com/?tag=marmite</a>

Yes, well. I will send her back with a little jar and she will convert all of them

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 09 2009 08:56 PM

Lioness, you had better make it a big jar- there are an awful lot of them to convert!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 09 2009 11:20 PM

well, yeah, but you don't need much of it, Ozzz!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 10 2009 12:21 AM

Quote:

Lioness, you had better make it a big jar- there are an awful lot of them to convert!

Only a few million...but ren has so many that can be converted too...1.7 billion.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 10 2009 06:41 AM

Ren might need two jars then.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 10 2009 10:07 AM

Just to get back to the comparison, I don't think you can deny that Marmite wins for style (as well as taste). Is there a Vegemite shop anywhere? I think not!

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/whatson/marmite-pop-up-shop-article-8844.html

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 10 2009 10:58 AM

I see they're only open for ten weeks over the Christmas season. A good place to get that perfect gag gift! (Pun only semi-intended)

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 10 2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Ren might need two jars then.

HA!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Nov 11 2009 09:41 PM

I am getting to the bottom of my vegemite jar and am getting to near panic mode. I had my toast and butter with marmite this morning and, as one not raised on either of them, I find that the marmite has an almost metallic aftertaste. See HERE for a sad, sad sight.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Nov 11 2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

I am getting to the bottom of my vegemite jar and am getting to near panic mode.

I can understand you feeling panicked, you have my sympathy. You also have my admiration, it takes an educated palate to detect the metallic taste of Marmite.

Is buying Vegemite (The Wonder Spread) online an option? It travels well.
Posted by: tezza1551

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 23 2009 02:31 AM

Vegemite.. and I have a son who at the age of 5, lived on Vegemite sandwiches for almost a year.. and is now, 26 years later, 186cm tall and 90kg in weight.. gotta be good for you !
Posted by: HairyBear

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 23 2009 03:21 AM

Don't know anything about either, but I can't click on "never heard of it" on the opinion poll since I was a fan of Men at Work's song, "Down Under." The answer to the question, "Can you order it on-line?" is yes, found a U.S. website for Marmite and Vegemite here: http://www.marmitepantry.com/Vegemite.html
Posted by: tellywellies

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 23 2009 03:29 AM

Marmite forever. All the family like it too. One son even eats it mixed with treacle! I just ate some Marmite on toast a few minutes ago. I could eat another slice but that would be greedy.

In fairness, I haven't tried Vegemite. The only time I came close to buying it, a complete stranger persuaded me to put the pot back on the supermarket shelf. She said it really wasn't a patch on Marmite. The decision to buy was very marginal, so I let myself be influenced. I got a pot of Marmite instead. Why change from such a great product anyway?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Nov 23 2009 10:30 AM

Thank you, HairyBear, for the website. I shall be ordering my new jar very soon.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 24 2009 07:03 PM

O'happy day! I found that vegemite is sold right here in my little town at the World Market store. Now my cupboard has a new jar and I get my breakfast toast tomorrow.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 24 2009 07:26 PM

Excellent ClaraSue!

Good things Always come to those who wait!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Nov 24 2009 07:52 PM

Personally if the shops in my town didn't stock Marmite, I would move. Vote with your feet, I say.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat Dec 19 2009 05:28 AM

ClaraSue, I'm very pleased to learn you're able to enjoy proper toast again.

Vegemite is now a prized ingredient in global dining.

"In Sydney for the International Food Festival, chef Alex Bourdas from the famed Sa.Qua.Na restaurant in Normandy, was given a jar of Vegemite. He now has a dish on the menu of cod, oyster cream, cabbage, Toulouse sausage and a Vegemite reduction that has European critics swooning" (with delight, assuredly.)

Hong Kong chef, Alvin Leung has also created "ho fun", a Vegemite wagyu.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat Aug 13 2011 08:08 AM

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just could not contain my excitement, having found a shop in The Hague where Vegemite is sold. Australians can now move to The Netherlands without adverse effects. Decision to buy a 220 gr pot took about 0.1 sec. Having tasted the stuff I feel qualified to offer my opinion: it is slightly more bitter than Marmite, and has a more pronounced beer taste. In short, I like Vegemite better than Marmite. Thank you for your time.
Cheers
Posted by: Tizzabelle

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat Aug 13 2011 08:57 AM

I'm thrilled to see Vegemite conquering the world wink As for me, I alternate between Vegemite and Promite which is a Masterfoods product in Oz. It's similar to Vegemite but has a sweeter taste. Although it taste less salty, it has more salt than Vegemite last time I read the labels. I know two people that love Vegemite and tomato sandwiches. I don't like that at all as the water from the tomatoes dilutes the Vegemite but to each their own. laugh

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat Aug 13 2011 02:35 PM

I like Marmite crisps. smile

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Dec 03 2012 05:23 PM

I am reliably informed that Marmite is an ingredient of a new perfume!

Beat that you Vegemite fans!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Dec 03 2012 05:32 PM

Oh Sue, where have you been? I always dab a little Vegemite behind my ears before leaving the house! You should try it. wink

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Dec 03 2012 05:33 PM

I suppose that it would be preferable to actually eating the stuff! But is it worth 125 quid?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/articl...eltic-Fire.html

The other ingredients are peat, oak, fir and bog myrtle, a fragrance that 'speaks eloquently of primordial terrain', which to me sounds like you are spraying yourself with really old dirt. Charming, I am sure...

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Dec 03 2012 10:30 PM

I, personally, would rather not smell like either one, but maybe I'm the strange one lol. wink
Posted by: Howie72

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Dec 04 2012 12:19 AM

Still no marmite in production in New Zealand thanks to the earthquakes....marmageddon continues frown

Would not want to get vegemite so I am gone without for over 18 months....

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Dec 05 2012 02:19 AM

Oh Howie, that is awful.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Dec 05 2012 02:38 AM

Howie, they sell Marmite in Australia, and I could send you some. The only problem is that the use-by date is some time in 1976. wink
Posted by: mehaul

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Dec 05 2012 05:06 AM

I hear that the Chanel company has bought the rights to "Twinkies" and a special desert fragrance will soon be on the market! After you've eaten your main course, you dab a bit on to feel more full. I'll hold out until they produce a pineapple upside-down cake with cherries on it scent.
Posted by: Tekka

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Dec 05 2012 12:29 PM

It's MARMITE every time for me and my family. We can purchase it here in Vancouver but only in the small jars unfortunately. I tried Vegemite and it was a real disappointment, not half as good as Marmite!!
Posted by: Squisher

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Dec 05 2012 12:50 PM

As an impartial Canadian, I'd have to say that Marmite wins hands down. I first tried Marmite as a child and really enjoyed it, especially on toast. Then on vacation to Australia I was eager to try Vegemite. I was surprised that the two didn't taste similar, as I greatly disliked Vegemite.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Dec 05 2012 08:15 PM

I think the preference possibly comes with whichever you tried first. If you tried Vegemite first, you will probably prefer Vegemite - the same goes for Marmite, I expect smile

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Dec 06 2012 05:57 AM

I was listening to a podcast of the Frank Skinner radio show and they were saying that if you have a blob of Marmite and keep hitting it with a spoon (and then keep hitting it more) it will turn white. Can anyone confirm?
It's a bit late a nighht here but I'm going to try it with vegemite tomorrow. smile

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Dec 06 2012 07:33 AM

I cannot believe that I actually went into the kitchen to test it out! But I did. You didn't say what sort of surface so I put it on a piece of white card and hammered it with a spoon. What happened is that it was transferring to the spoon so I wiped it off then carried on banging it, wiped the spoon etc. The colour got lighter as the stuff adhered to the spoon, then finally it actually took the surface off the card, so yes it was white.

Frank Skinner is a comedian so is probably laughing his socks off at the thought of people all over the place banging blobs of Marmite!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Dec 06 2012 07:37 AM

Here is a link to what is supposed to happen, perhaps I ought to try it again on a plate with a bigger blob!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bang/article_marmite.shtml

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Dec 06 2012 08:20 AM

I think I'll stick to eating it!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Dec 06 2012 09:18 AM

Right, I put some in a baking tin and bashed it with a spoon until my arm was almost dropping off! I posted a photo of the results in the Photo-a-Day thread.

View it here

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Dec 06 2012 09:52 AM

Ah, the things we do in the name of science. Now who would have thought to bang it in the first place? grin
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Dec 06 2012 05:07 PM

Quote:
Now who would have thought to bang it in the first place?

Yeah, I was wondering about that!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Dec 06 2012 05:57 PM

Probably the same person who discovered that tights lasted longer if stored in th fridge and mohair yarn is less likely to shed during knitting if stored in the fridge.
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Dec 06 2012 11:34 PM

lol, this thread is too funny. I've never tried either one, so can't vote.

Sue: did you try putting some in a food processor or a blender, or maybe just use a hand mixer? Might save wear and tear on the arm!

I found this little news item to be amusing:
Monumite
Posted by: Tekka

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Fri Dec 07 2012 01:47 AM

Thanks for sharing that article Jakeroo, it really is amusing. I'm sure lots of Marmite lovers will make the pilgrimage!!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Mar 19 2013 01:47 PM

Marmageddon is over....today is the first day in over 2 years that marmite is back on the supermarket shelves.... smile

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Mar 19 2013 02:02 PM

By pure chance, there was a programme on television this afternoon with the presenter visiting the Marmite factory.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Mar 19 2013 06:06 PM

Howie, how on earth have you survived?!
Posted by: Christinap

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Mar 19 2013 08:03 PM

Strangely enough there was a display in Tesco this morning which featured tastings of Marmite. Now, I have never tried Marmite of Vegemite so, I took a taste of Marmite. How can anyone eat that stuff - it was horrible.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Mar 19 2013 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: ren33
Howie, how on earth have you survived?!

Ren, perhaps you should address that question to the presenter mentioned in Sue's post. smile

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Tue Mar 19 2013 11:37 PM

They even tried making it in South Africa but upon tasting it they quickly stopped it and did not want to put it on NZ shelves.....apparently it did not taste like NZ marmite.
Posted by: zippolover

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Mar 20 2013 04:12 AM

I love Marmite.

I did buy a jar of Vegemite and could not get used to it. I tried it in different ways too. The children complained about the "funny gravy" when I used it in that. It went in the bin frown
Posted by: zippolover

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Mar 20 2013 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: sue943
Right, I put some in a baking tin and bashed it with a spoon until my arm was almost dropping off! I posted a photo of the results in the Photo-a-Day thread.

View it here

How did it taste afterwards?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Mar 20 2013 04:35 AM

As the colour was so strange I didn't eat it, I like my food to look proper!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Mar 20 2013 06:25 PM

Marmageddon
My heart goes out to you, Howie, I missed reading of this tragedy altogether, and I cannot imagine the agonies you must have gone through. Thank goodness all is over.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Mar 20 2013 10:26 PM

What was worse....when it ran out I only had a miniscule amount left in the only jar I had....

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Mar 20 2013 11:31 PM

So how was it in Rehab?

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Wed Mar 20 2013 11:38 PM

2 years of withdrawal symptoms....it was tough and I have now fallen off the wagon.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Mar 21 2013 12:50 AM

Giving Marmite its deserved recognition
This was a shop window in Cambridge, note the sterling silver lids for our product.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Apr 24 2014 10:49 AM

Vegemite is a real pick-me-up at work. It's the great Aussie comfort food. Ah, but it's not just a food anymore. Try this!
https://www.facebook.com/vegemite/photos/a.299303524986.45828.47955454986/10150376673509987/?type=1
Can your Marmite do that? wink

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Apr 24 2014 12:10 PM

April Fool?

http://www.foodmag.com.au/news/vegemite-launches-energy-drink-or-does-it

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Thu Apr 24 2014 12:24 PM

Completely laugh I do love the picture though.

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat May 31 2014 07:28 AM

Bumping up for Mommakat
Posted by: Mommakat

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Sat May 31 2014 07:39 PM

Actually I love Vegemite. My late husband compared it to axle grease and said he hated it. Strange statement when he had never ever tried it. I was brought up on it and I am what we Aussies call, a Vegemite Kid.

Back in 1983 when I was visiting my daughter, MotherGoose, who at that time was living in California, I went armed with a large giant sized jar of vegemite for her as she could not buy it there and missed having it, plus two Tee-shirts, one each for her and her husband which carried the slogan "I'm a Vegemite Kid" They were amused and when we visited an amusement park a few days later they both wore them. As we were walking along an American woman came up to us, stared at their Tee-shirts, and said in a loud voice (drew the attention of by-standers by the way) "I'm a Vegemite Kid! What the hell is Vegemite?" Created quite a bit of amusement.

My advice to others "If you haven't tried it, don't knock it till you do". I am never without it on the kitchen counter to plaster on my morning toast....LOL
Posted by: lonely-lady

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Jul 21 2014 04:22 AM

I have been reading through this and am about to shut the laptop down and head off to the shops for

MARMITE
Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Jul 21 2014 04:27 AM

Noooooo lonely-lady. Don't do it. I can airmail a large jar of wonderful, zesty, invigorating Vegemite to you. It should arrive in ...mmm Australian mail system, customs, theft of such a treasure en route.... about 3 months. Surely that's worth waiting for!

It puts a rose in every cheek.
Posted by: lonely-lady

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Jul 21 2014 11:30 AM

I did buy a jar of the other stuff when it was on special offer. I do not know what was wrong with it. I expected it to be an "acceptable" substitute for MARMITE but it was something else entirely. I would be happy to try again if I get a set of instructions along with the free jar.

PS I am not sure that I want a pink bottom, thankyouallthesame blush

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Jul 21 2014 12:00 PM

I once bought a jar of the V one, after opening the jar I just couldn't bring myself to eat any, it didn't smell right!

Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! - Mon Jul 21 2014 07:04 PM

Y'all can have both of them...I will pass. wink grin