Well done London - you did good

Posted by: sue943

Well done London - you did good - Sun Aug 12 2012 05:37 PM

A success I think.. Well done Seb Coe and his team.
Posted by: SOTHC

Re: Well done London - you did good - Sun Aug 12 2012 05:40 PM

Makes you proud to be British
Posted by: jabb5076

Re: Well done London - you did good - Sun Aug 12 2012 06:11 PM

An exceptional Olympic Games. London should be very proud.
Posted by: ren33

Re: Well done London - you did good - Sun Aug 12 2012 06:20 PM

I am quite overwhelmed with national pride at the moment. From the opening to the brilliant closing it went smoothly and was incredibly well organised. Wonderful!
Posted by: Jabberwok

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 01:07 AM

London transport survived and no one got blown up.
Good enough for me. laugh
Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 04:57 AM

As I posted on a related thread, I think London and Great Britain did an absolutely marvellous job with these games. Perhaps there were lots of minor irritations or even major problems behind the scenes, but none of it was apparent. The way many of the events showcased the city was truly delightful, although as a cricket fanatic, I'm still coming to terms with archery being permitted on the hallowed turf of Lords! I also loved the opening and closing ceremonies - a really diverse and interesting showcase, all done with style, and at times that quirky and self-deprecating sense of humour.

Well done to everyone concerned - the organizers, volunteers and spectators!!
Posted by: vendome

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:20 AM

I don't understand the Olympics. You work hard training and practicing for years at great expense--your sport becomes your whole life. Preparing for the Olympics involves several coaches who can be harshly critical and downright cruel--all for a 2 or 3 minute performance. To not get a medal must be an emotionally shattering experience. What is the goal an Olympian hopes to achieve? Money? Some Olmpians for the more popular endeavors sign lucrative contracts to sell products. Many are never heard from again. Is it to be the best in the world? Chances are you will have that prestige for a few years only.

I'm not minimizing the unbelievable accomplishments of all of the talented men and
women who give up so much to attain, in the grand scheme of things, so little.
Posted by: pmarney

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:29 AM

I'm always proud to be British, but this event was done with style and a good sense of Humour

As the song says "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" and you can't go far wrong

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:48 AM

Rich, I think it is the taking part more than the medal wins for many athletes. Many are just so proud to be considered good enough to represent their country. I used to know someone who was in the 1972 Olympics, he was very proud to have taken part even though he didn't get a medal.

The Channel Islands had a number of people in the Team GB and although one won a gold medal in the team dressage others really had no hope of winning any medal but were over the moon to be taking part. One of them, Lee Merrien, who was in the marathon yesterday initially wasn't selected for the team as his time in the qualifying races wasn't fast enough but after a petition started by strangers the selection committee permitted him to partake. Lee finished in the first 30 which for him was most satisfactory, it is an experience which will live with him for the rest of his life.
Posted by: postcards2go

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 05:57 AM

It was really quite well done. The support of the spectators (for *all* the athletes), lining the distance events, was wonderful to see smile

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 06:18 AM

I am not sure what non-Brits made of Delboy and Rodney dressed as Batman and Robin and their exploding car, I am not sure that they will all be familiar with Only Fools and Horses. smile

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 06:41 AM

And I dare say there will be bits of Rio's show that foreigners won't get, and lots of Beijing's was a puzzle. I loved the uniqueness of 2012, we seem to always be so wonderfully different. I think we gave other nationalities enough that was entertaining and familiar, like Mr Bean and James Bond, Queen (X2!} and John Lennon, and we owed it to ourselves to have little in-jokes like Only Fools.

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 06:47 AM

I am not sure that some people got the connection in the opening ceremony between children's literature and the NHS. For those who didn't, JM Barry wrote Peter Pan and signed over all the royalties to Great Ormond Street Hospital which is world famous as a centre of excellence for very sick children, it is an NHS hospital and some patients and staff from the hospital took part in the ceremony. Article here
Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 07:02 AM

Thanks for that explanation Sue. I for one didn't pick this up.

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 07:20 AM

For all the complaining about NBC's coverage in the U.S., the fact that we saw both the Opening and Closing ceremonies taped, meant that our comentators could explain much of what we saw. I have always appreciated the varied cultures to which the world is exposed every two (including the Winter Olympics) years. Lovely!

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 09:42 AM

Postie did they explain Batman and Robin and the little yellow car to you?
Posted by: Chavs

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 10:45 AM

Postcards, I'm glad to hear that, I wondered what others would think of it. I think it was quite edited though. You didn't get the second song from George Michael, I hear. (You missed nothing there!) and did you get The Kinks and Waterloo Sunset? The whole thing live and without ads was over 3 hours long.

I enjoyed it. It was a bit batty but that's half the fun, I guess. cool
Posted by: Chavs

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: ren33
I am quite overwhelmed with national pride at the moment. From the opening to the brilliant closing it went smoothly and was incredibly well organised. Wonderful!

smile True.

grin & I ended up feeling proud to be a Londoner last night.
(I'm not a Londoner but that's neither here nor there.)

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: sue943
Postie did they explain Batman and Robin and the little yellow car to you?

They did not. I went back and found the taped bits. Here is what they said:

The face and voice of Michael Caine, from the 1969 film, "The Italian Job", and then the British T.V. characters, Delboy and Rodney, for whatever reason, arrived on the scene

It's quite likely they didn't want to explain further, because a rival network is planning to do a U.S. version of Only Fools and Horses.

Originally Posted By: Chavs
Postcards, I'm glad to hear that, I wondered what others would think of it. I think it was quite edited though. You didn't get the second song from George Michael, I hear. (You missed nothing there!) and did you get The Kinks and Waterloo Sunset? The whole thing live and without ads was over 3 hours long.

I didn't see all of it. NBC, in its 'wisdom', decided that they would let us take an hour break (at 11 p.m.), so they could preview a new program, and let us have our local news (available on other stations). I just couldn't stay awake until 1 a.m. crazy But that's an NBC fault, not a Brit fault!

I did find the ceremonies and the pageantry very original, without being too obscure. I've seen some, where I couldn't understand a thing.
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 12:45 PM

I went to the Games on Friday and it was just as it looked on the television - huge, happy crowds and an almost overwhelming air of celebration. The venues looked superb, and the park was landscaped beautifully - coots on the water, reed beds laid down for natural river maintenance and wildlife habitats, the riotous colours of wild flowers... it all looked wonderful. The volunteers were tremendous, and the whole process from getting on the tube to going through security and later into our event was very smooth despite there being an awful lot of people there. Our only problem was that Friday was a very hot day but I can't really blame Seb Coe for that, lol. I'm putting a few pics into the August thread in the Photography forum (one pic per day) so if you want to see something of what I saw look there. smile

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 01:17 PM

Postie, it was a reminder of one of the funniest episodes of the show, if you ever get a chance to see it then be prepared to need a tissue, the tears run down my face - every time it is repeated!

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 01:59 PM

Flopsy, I'll take a look! Anything to prolong my Olympic 'experience' smile

Sue, I'll look out for it. We do get many of your shows over here.
Posted by: lesley153

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 04:21 PM

Delboy and Rodney may be better known than we think.

Only Fools and Horses worldwide

A recurring theme was the happy atmosphere, and the friendliness of the crowds. Competitors went out in the evenings, with their medals, and felt safe, and welcomed.

The commentators on the marathon thought it attracted record crowds. The spectators seem to have been cheering anyone and everyone who deserved cheering, regardless of country of origin. Some commentators have dubbed these the Friendly Games. I think we can live with that! smile

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 08:50 PM

I would like to ask , though, where was Zara Philips in the celebrations? She did win a silver medal, but (apologies if she was visible in the photo calls, the video of "Don't Stop Me Now" and all the other fun and games to support Team GB, ) I didn't see her once.
Posted by: Barbarini

Re: Well done London - you did good - Mon Aug 13 2012 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
I went to the Games on Friday and it was just as it looked on the television - huge, happy crowds and an almost overwhelming air of celebration.

Flopsy, I saw the same thing during our Olympics in 1988....everyone was walking on air, whether they were involved in the Olympics or not. There was so much excitement everywhere you went - a great thing for our little city. I can only imagine how that must have been magnified a hundred fold in London.

I enjoyed it all very much, thankfully was able to download some of the British shows like Olympics Tonight which gives a completely different take on things. The Canadian coverage left a lot to be desired and the American coverage, well, you'd think the Yanks were the only participants!

Well done London - and all who sailed with her! smilee
Posted by: Sypher

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 12:19 AM

Living in London, working in London and having to past Stratford every day during the games was an experience. I think for the first time ever, people were actually friendly on the tube and rail network. People were talking and not staring into infinity. Yes, the tube network was heaving at times and it was very crowded when trying to get home but once you got past Stratford, plenty of seats and breathing space.

I loved the opening but I thought the closing was a bit poor as they could have picked some better acts instead of using ones that had their music used in the opening..ie. Pet Shop Boys. Why George Michael was the only artist allowed to sing a brand new song, I have no idea considering the director of the show stated before it started that everyone would know all the songs and was hoping to have one big sing-a-long....(Always look on the bright side of life..comes to mind)

Queen were fantastic especially Brian May but why did they have to have Jessie J sing We will Rock You. C'mon, that should have been sung by a bloke....Robbie Williams would have been a good choice. Take That - Excellent!!

Overall, I was skeptical about the games before they started but I think this has had to have been one of the most exciting and best coverage of the games ever. It made me feel very proud to be British and a Londoner and even the British Weather held up with the exception of a few days. I just wished the games lasted a bit longer and there was something else to look forward too as London has been spoilt in the last few months...Jubilee and the Olympics....Oh well, Football season starts this weekend !!
Posted by: bubbatom1

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 02:50 AM

I just wished the games lasted a bit longer and there was something else to look forward too as London has been spoilt in the last few months...Jubilee and the Olympics....

Aren't the paralympics starting in London very shortly? Surely they would be great to look forward to. Paralympians have had to overcome such adversity. I really hope they have a great time at their games, and I bet they are all just so proud to be representing their country smile
Posted by: Sypher

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 03:48 AM

Yep..you are right, there are the Paralympics...BUT after that....nothing!! (except Christmas and my birthday !!)
Posted by: bubbatom1

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:29 AM

Have a great Christmas and a great birthday, and a really, really terrific football season smile
Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 05:43 AM

Best two weeks of telly me and Mum have seen for a long, long time! Well done to all involved!
Posted by: vendome

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 12:53 PM

Thanks for the clarification Sue. My feelings may be due to the fact that I have never participated in sports of any kind. I was always sickly as a kid and had not acquired an interest in sports as an adult. As a result, I didn't watch the Olympics. I I had, maybe I wold apppreciate better the national pride and efforts of these fine men and women.
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: ren33
I would like to ask , though, where was Zara Philips in the celebrations? She did win a silver medal, but (apologies if she was visible in the photo calls, the video of "Don't Stop Me Now" and all the other fun and games to support Team GB, ) I didn't see her once.

I guess she steers clear of cameras when she can - can't be easy having the Daily Mail chase after you all the time and they can be vicious. But she was at the closing ceremony, there was a clear shot of her in one of the "mosh pits" with a group from Team GB.
Posted by: Copago

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 03:24 PM

I loved the Olympics from start to finish. There were all sort of complaints about our coverage but i didn't notice anything and compared to what the NBC did I don't think we can complain at all.

I got much of the closing ceremony but the Batman and Robin did go over my head .. and I am a fan of Only Fools lol .. must have missed that episode!

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:14 PM

OK Jill, briefly they were invited to a 'party' and the dress code was 'fancy' so they went as Batman and Robin, they had car problems and were running down the road in their costumes only to interupt a mugging, the muggers thought they were for real and did a runner. The party turned out to be a wake (funeral) and the 'fancy' dress code meant in your best clothing! Now everyone is confused, you just had to see it to appreciate it. smile
Posted by: Copago

Re: Well done London - you did good - Tue Aug 14 2012 04:25 PM

I can just see it happening! Very clever show laugh
Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: Well done London - you did good - Wed Aug 15 2012 01:19 AM

I'm not really into "popular music" and although I knew some of the acts, for me, the closing ceremony was a load of noise, only saved by Eric Idle's piece and Del Boy's van right at the beginning. Got to agree with Sue, and others, the "fancy dress episode" of Only Fools and Horses always has me in hysterics ... only topped by the utterly hysterical "Chandelier" episode laugh
Posted by: jabb5076

Re: Well done London - you did good - Wed Aug 15 2012 07:32 AM

I'm with you, Jane, about much of the pop music at the Closing Ceremony. I loved the John Lennon film and the pieced sculpture of his face was very clever. But the Monty Python bit with Eric Idle was hilarious! When the camera panned to Prince Harry and he was singing right along, I laughed out loud.