The pope resigns

Posted by: sue943

The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 05:20 AM

A bit of a shocker, I guess more will come out in due course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304
Posted by: sisterseagull

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 06:43 AM

I wonder if the cardinals will take this opportunity to elect a younger, more forward-looking Pope?

It would be nice to think so

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 06:53 AM

He is giving his age and the fact that he is no longer able to do what is necessary so hopefully a younger man will get the job.
Posted by: ren33

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 07:45 AM

It seems really crazy to elect someone in their 80's.
Posted by: agony

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 09:25 AM

I wonder if the scandals have something to do with it.
Posted by: jabb5076

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 09:50 AM

I wonder if he has an undisclosed illness?
Posted by: mehaul

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 11:19 AM

Can two Popes be alive at the same time? Which gets to be infallible? I thought the papacy was the one leadership position in the whole world that could not be given up to anything but death. My money is on the College of Cardinals not electing a replacement until there has been a funeral. What if Benedict decides he made a mistake and wants back in? The faithful have many times dealt with an incapacitated leader in the past. What makes now any different?

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 11:21 AM

Retirement of a pope has happened before, in the 15th century.
Posted by: george48

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 05:39 PM

Or as the Vatican remembers,'The Good Old Days'.
Posted by: Tizzabelle

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 06:13 PM

I think it's fabulous that he has the insight to see he can't do the job anymore and he's got the courage to resign. Good on him! smile
Posted by: Christinap

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 07:24 PM

I agree, it was a brave decision to take, and he has undoubtedly done it with the overall good of the church in mind. I recall news footage of John Paul II, and thinking it was actually cruel to wheel him out in public and expect him to speak, hold a Papal Mass, that sort of thing, when he was so very ill and frail he could hardly speak.

I have noticed though that in various places the end of the world people are trotting out the Petrus Romanus prophecy. Didn't take them long.
Posted by: agony

Re: The pope resigns - Mon Feb 11 2013 07:29 PM

On a more cynical note, this way he will have more influence on who is picked, and the direction the Church will take over the next few years. He's been a very conservative pope, (for good or ill depending on your stance on things) and with this resignation at this time, chances are good that will continue into the reign of the next pope.
Posted by: mehaul

Re: The pope resigns - Tue Feb 12 2013 04:31 AM

What if he doesn't like who is picked as his successor? What if in a year he doesn't agree with what his replacement decides about some issue? The church cannot have two voices even if one is a distant echo.
Posted by: rayven80

Re: The pope resigns - Tue Feb 12 2013 10:52 AM

I thought being Pope was for life. John Paul II wasn't in good health and he remained Pope. This presents some interesting conundrums for the Church.
Posted by: deputygary

Re: The pope resigns - Wed Feb 13 2013 11:02 AM

The Pope is the head of the worldwide Catholic Church. Please show some respect.

Re: The pope resigns - Wed Feb 13 2013 02:01 PM

OK, closed. Some posts have been removed.