I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss

Posted by: vendome

I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 10:30 AM

I've never seen a cat on a leash. Why? Most cats I know of are left outside to fend for themselves at night. This doesn't appear to be safe; the animal could injure itself, meet up with another less friendly cat or be flattened by a car or, God forbid, bring home a dead mouse or other critter in its jaws.

I'm sure you can tell I'm not a cat fancier though I still think a leash is a good idea. And there is nothing cuter than a kitten. But kittens grow up and that's when the trouble begins. When returning home, a dog greets you with a wagging tail and kisses; a cat greets you with a look that says "it's about time you came home." But, to each his/her own.

But I still don't understand why you don't put your cat on a leash.
Posted by: TabbyTom

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 11:49 AM

There's no such thing as a cat owner. As has been truly said, dogs have owners (or masters), cats have servants.

I've seen pedigree cats walking on leads, but non-pedigree cats ("real cats" to people like me) love their freedom too much, and it's that love of freedom that endears cats to me. I don't want to own another creature; I prefer having to work at a relationship with a cat.
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: vendome
...or, God forbid, bring home a dead mouse or other critter in its jaws...

Hah! If only the offerings they do bring home were actually "dead in its jaws" I'd be a much happier cat-owner.

I have both cat and dog, and thoroughly enjoy their diverse natures and behaviours.

As for leaving a cat free to roam at will, it's actually much kinder than keeping them cooped up in an itsy bitsy house, no matter how many square metres it may measure. Cats do not need to replace their feline family by a human one, whereas dogs most certainly do attach themselves to their human owners and identify the key members and pecking order just as they would in their canine pack. I don't think it would be fair to impose a domesticated dog's life on a cat, nor a cat's life on a dog, both would be miserable.
Posted by: sue943

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 12:57 PM

Actually in our Photo-a-Day threads you will from time to time see a cat on a leash and in a harness, SpanishLiz's cat, Precious, isn't permitted to free roam.

Here in Jersey when homing rescue cats our animal welfare organisation will normally state if the cat is an indoor or outdoor cat, they will often state that the cat must have access to the outside.

If you look at http://www.jspca.org.je/contents_home.htm then on the left at the link for cats and dogs looking for new homes you will see what I mean, only a few of them are called indoor cats and some say they need to be able to hunt!

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 01:12 PM

I had five cats at one time, three were deliberate in that I acquired two cats so they could keep each other company, then I let the female have a litter before having her spayed, we were going to keep one of her kittens. We ended up keeping two of the kittens and then a stray cat adopted us until I was forced to find him a new home, or a new home for the other four! They all hated him and he was so lovely. frown

One cat, the first one, never hunted, he left his mother when he was too young so wasn't taught. The little female cat was a good hunter and mother, she taught her boys to hunt and they would bring all manner of creatures home, including live rabbits, mice etc. They let a baby rabbit go in my sitting room and it hid behind a bookcase. smile I don't know if the stray cat hunted, we had him a year but I wasn't aware of anything from him. After finding the live rabbit in the sitting room I shut them out of that room at night, they only had access to the kitchen and the outside. Most mornings I had to clear up the entrails of various sized animals which were left on the kitchen floor. Ewk.
Posted by: agony

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 01:16 PM

I've had both cats and dogs, and love them both for their different ways.

Tried to turn an outdoor cat into an indoor one once... he hurled himself from a fourth floor balcony trying to escape - and not just once. I was outside looking for him once after he'd managed to get the window open while I was at work and escape, and the woman in the basement apartment directly in line under mine told me she'd heard him land - "there was a big thump, and he lay there for about half an hour - I thought he was dead. Then he got up and ran off".
Posted by: Christinap

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 06:02 PM

I've had both. Overall I prefer dogs, but cats are certainly interesting creatures to live with. I had two sisters who were half Siamese (Mum strayed!) and they were very vocal, and certainly could not have been kept indoors. I wouldn't have a cat where we live now, the road is just too busy and fast. People round here have had cats but quite honestly they don't last long.
Posted by: ClaraSue

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 07:05 PM

I had both cats and dogs when I grew up in the mountains. Neither ever walked on a lead. I have seen many cat owners now that walk their cats on leads. My mother once took a vacation to the beach in the Gulf of Mexico and took her cat. Poor cat had never been on a leash before and Mom told me one day that she would take Shadow each night to the beach for his "nightly drag".
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 07:56 PM

LOL ClaraSue. When I was in junior high our family had two cats (not related, adopted from the SPCA). One was a really huge black male (who we called "Shadow" as well). The other was a small runt of a "tuxedo" female with socks. Dad called her "Sin" because he thought she was the devil in disguise from day one.

Shadow had no problem walking on a leash, he would even go get it off the hook by the front door if he thought you might actually take him out. Otherwise he was quite happy to just snooze in the best chair we had - all day, thank you very much.

Sin, on the other hand, was the hunter/adventurer, escaped frequently if you opened the door to go get the mail, milk or the newspaper and absolutely HATED the leash. She'd just flop on her side and refuse to move, so yes she got "dragged" quite a bit. Was embarrassing really lol, so I actually paid my little sister some of my allowance to take Sin for "drags".

I think many cats would be fine on leashes, but if you don't have the patience of Job, I kinda think you have to start them on that when they are very young, not after they're half/full grown, or have had previous owners who let them run wild.
Posted by: jabb5076

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 08:16 PM

I've had both dogs and cats, and love them both, and my cats have been indoor only for over 30 years. If cats are always indoors, it really isn't an issue. With all the hazards they face free-roaming, I wouldn't have it any other way. I've also had cats willing to walk on a leash, but it takes time and patience to train them to it. Most of my cats have beenbSiamese--very intelligent and extremely dog-like in behavior. If you want a cat to follow you around like a dog and constantly beg for attention, get a Siamese. Of course, you have to be willing to put up with their constant loud 'talking'!
Posted by: kaddarsgirl

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 08:38 PM

Of the five cats I've had in my lifetime only one was ever allowed to go outside. This cat we did leash to the front porch, and as soon as the cat was put on the leash, it thought it was paralyzed and didn't move at all. Not much fun for us or for the cat. Our other four cats were/are never let outside the house. Keeping them indoor solves a lot of problems...we never have to worry about them not coming home (they're always home!), they don't drag things into the house (mice, rats, ticks, flees), and they do not get in fights with other animals. Of all the dozens and dozens of people I know with cats, only one lets the cats out of the house (on purpose). The cats that are outside, are certainly in more danger, but the ones I know have lived quite happily that way in our neighborhood for quite some time, without a leash. The cats are all in their late teens and have been outdoor cats their entire lives.
Posted by: alexis722

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 09:07 PM

All but one of our many cats over the years have been outdoor/indoor hunters. Some of them learned to hunt on their own, some ate their kill and others just showed it off. I don't really like finding innards on the front walk. My current companions go out even on snowy days, nature and fresh air are things they enjoy and they live up to their wild side at times. But they come in when called and are very gentle, even scaredy cats, most of the time. Not one of our cats ever saw a leash. I had an abandoned, and perhaps abused, little calico I named Chutzpah, in New Orleans. She hid under my bed for days, and I put food, water and a litter box nearby for her. One night I felt her crawl across my pillow and settle down purring heavily into my ear. She was a very sweet little girl, but terrified of the outside world, she didn't even want to leave my bedroom. In all, cats are great company and much easier to keep than dogs. But the greatest thing about dogs is their unconditional love.
Posted by: ren33

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 14 2013 10:09 PM

Anyone seen this?
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 15 2013 01:00 AM

Great film, ren!
Posted by: MiraJane

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 15 2013 05:23 PM

Savannah cats seem to be the only breed that can reliably trained to walk on a leash.

I have tried to train a few of mine to get used to a halter and walk on a leash. The last one I tried it with was Quentin. He was a stray that had been dumped in the neighbor with his sister when they were four weeks old. (A neighbor got the sister.)

I put the halter on him within the first week, and it was an adjustable one so it fit him. He let me put it on without a fight. Then I turned around to get the leash and when I looked back, he already had one front leg out of the halter. Then I watch him wriggle out of it the rest of the way. It took him less time to get it off then it took to put it on.

The previous cat I had attempted to use a halter on to leash train let out a death howl as soon as it was on and refused to move. And she sat there howling until I decided my hearing was more important than having her on a leash.

My cats greet me when I come home. They rub against me and purr. Well, except for Princess. But she is royalty and I am expected to go to her.

We don't put our cats on leashes and take them for a walk because the large majority of cats refuse to participate.

They bring us their gifts because they love us. They, according to those that study cats in an attempt to understand them, think of us as their lessers or even children. And, as their children, they are bringing us food. Or for those times when the gift is still alive (like the starling I found flying in the bedroom), it is because they are trying to teach us to hunt so us silly beings can feed ourselves.
Posted by: kaddarsgirl

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 15 2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: MiraJane
They bring us their gifts because they love us. They, according to those that study cats in an attempt to understand them, think of us as their lessers or even children. And, as their children, they are bringing us food. Or for those times when the gift is still alive (like the starling I found flying in the bedroom), it is because they are trying to teach us to hunt so us silly beings can feed ourselves.

I currently have two cats, both indoor-only. They have toy mice that they like to carry around and the one cat, Henry, will always bring it over and set it down at my feet. At which point I will throw it across the room and he will it bring it back to me in an endless game of fetch. The other cat, Oscar, doesn't bring presents (even toy mice)...he just sits at my feet, looks up at me with sad eyes, and begs for food...mostly cheese.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Fri Aug 16 2013 05:40 AM

My definitely not a hunter cat lived longer than my other cats and became an only cat once more. Imagine my amazement and amusement to find a dead creature which he had bought into the house, it was very obviously a long time dead and nothing to do with him. Bless his little heart, a gift me me I guess. smile Sparkey's mouse
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Fri Aug 16 2013 07:58 AM

Quote:
We don't put our cats on leashes and take them for a walk because the large majority of cats refuse to participate.

So true. I've tried with other cats, but Precious is the first who has been willing (even eager) to don the harness. She can't free roam because she has no front claws (not my idea, by the way) but she loves to get outside and meet the neighbourhood dogs.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Fri Aug 16 2013 06:55 PM

I'm down to one 14 year old male Blue Point Siamese ( from another Blue pt and a Golden Retriever) and this cat could never have survived in the wild--no hunting instinct at all! He doesn't even bother to catch bugs--just looks at them with less-than-mild interest. He will occasionally watch the birds, squirrels, and chipmunks on the deck, but they don't hold his interest for long. He'd much rather find a lap to sit on and someone to pet him.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Fri Aug 16 2013 06:57 PM

Sue--it looks like Sparkey found himself a rat! Yuk!

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Sat Aug 17 2013 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: jabb5076
Sue--it looks like Sparkey found himself a rat! Yuk!

Come to think of it, yes it is a rat, fortunately a very dead and small rat. smile Live mice in the house is one thing but rats would be quite another thing and not something that I could tolerate.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Sat Aug 17 2013 10:08 AM

My Muffin had been a mighty hunter in her day, but that day was pretty far in the past by the time she was fourteen years old. She hadn't brought home anything for several years when we came home and found a dead gopher (Richardson's ground squirrel) in the basement. Now, we live right in the centre of town - the nearest place she'd have found one of these would have been at least a kilometre away. And they're *big*! http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-AurjFbssbkU/T2...nd+squirrel.jpg
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Sat Aug 17 2013 10:58 AM

My ginger tomcat used to be friends with everyone - apart from other cats, he bossed them around - whereas my little tabby female was a bit shy and nervous but they were both great hunters so I've no idea which of them was to blame for this... My next door neighbour was one of their favourite people, he used to feed them when I was away, so whenever he was in his garden the chances were that one or both of my cats would be there too. One day he came home for lunch and made himself a cheese sandwich, took it out to the garden then realised he wanted a beer so went indoors to fetch one. When he came out again, his sandwich had vanished. He told me he had begun to doubt his sanity, perhaps he hadn't made a sandwich after all, or perhaps he'd forgotten he'd eaten it already, but there it was, gone. When I came home from work that evening, there was a dead cheese sandwich on the kitchen floor. Bits of cheese everywhere and two slices of bread curling up in the corner. I told them that next time they should wrap the food in cling film before dragging it through the catflap, that way their loot would stay whole!

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Sat Aug 17 2013 01:48 PM

Must have been cheddar--no self-respecting cat would steal boring cheese like American.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Sat Aug 17 2013 05:09 PM

I overheard someone at a party I was holding.
"My dear , only someone of class would serve Roquefort!"

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Sat Aug 17 2013 06:41 PM

My tabby would eat cheddar, preferably mature level 5, but she was particularly fond of Brie. I used to cut some of the rind into strips for her and leave them balanced on the edge of the plate - while I ate the inside of the cheese with some crusty bread, a small paw would reach up and swipe the rind one strip at a time. And she'd kill for Cambozola.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Sat Aug 17 2013 07:12 PM

There you are, you see. Cats have class!
Posted by: Copago

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Mon Aug 19 2013 03:51 AM

I don't mind domestic cats, and they can eat as many mice and other vermin they can get their paws on but it's the ones allowed to roam and the ferals that I can't stand!

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Mon Aug 19 2013 08:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Copago
I don't mind domestic cats, and they can eat as many mice and other vermin they can get their paws on but it's the ones allowed to roam and the ferals that I can't stand!

It's the ones that are roaming and the ferals that are eating the most of the mice and other vermin.

Yes, the furry rulers of our home, if they go outside, may catch some of said vermin. But the real exterminators are the ones you can't stand.

And blaming ferals for being feral is blaming the victim for being abandoned
Posted by: JanIQ

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Mon Aug 19 2013 11:19 AM

My cat is perhaps one of the real "aristocats". She gets smoked trout each Monday. Now, that's really a good start of the week.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Mon Aug 19 2013 11:25 AM

Originally Posted By: JanIQ
My cat is perhaps one of the real "aristocats". She gets smoked trout each Monday. Now, that's really a good start of the week.

Now I'm not so embarrassed to admit that my cat gets a treat of deli chicken every night before he goes to bed.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Mon Aug 19 2013 12:53 PM

The fishy water from the tuna can. I think they can smell it a mile away. Of course the sound of the can opener can mean nothing but TUNA! laugh laugh
Posted by: Christinap

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Mon Aug 19 2013 05:34 PM

See, you don't have these eating issues with dogs. Most of them eat pretty much anything and the crusts from toast are the height of luxury as a treat (especially if a bit of the melted cheese happens to still be clinging to it).

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Mon Aug 19 2013 09:51 PM

I had a cat who loved mushrooms, raw.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Tue Aug 20 2013 02:35 AM

My cat Princess will not eat unless her food is elevated higher than the food for the other cats. And she will only eat out of certain dishes. If I dare to attempt to serve her food or water in a non approved dish, she will put one of her delicate paws on the edge of the offending dish and tip it over onto the floor.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Tue Aug 20 2013 09:30 AM

Mine were partial to a nice bit of crab or lobster, or some prawns. smile One of them adored strawberry icecream.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Tue Aug 20 2013 06:26 PM

MiraJane, Copago is posting from Australia, where feral cats are devastating the local fauna, so her attitude is understandable. Feral cats there are a real environmental nightmare.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Tue Aug 20 2013 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: agony
MiraJane, Copago is posting from Australia, where feral cats are devastating the local fauna, so her attitude is understandable. Feral cats there are a real environmental nightmare.

Okay. I understand that. But it is still blaming the victim for being abandoned.
Feral anythings, such as pigs in Hawaii, can cause environmental devastation. But being place in that environment by humans and left to fend for themselves is not the fault of the animal.
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Tue Aug 20 2013 07:35 PM

They are born feral- they are not abandoned.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: ozzz2002
They are born feral- they are not abandoned.

The cats ancestors at one time were brought to Australia by humans. Then abandoned. Then they kittens int he wild. That leads to feral populations, anywhere. People also abandon pets. The pets in turn revert to a wild state.

I live near protected state land. Every spring, abandoned pregnant dogs and cats show up, along with kittens and puppies. Humans initially created the problem. To blame an animal for acting like an animal when humans introduced them into the environment is unfair to the animal. And does not solve the problem.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 03:55 PM

We have the same situation here with rabbits and camels. Both are introduced animals brought out for a specific purpose and then abandoned. There are now over 200 million rabbits here- does anyone want a new pet? smile

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 04:21 PM

We have the same situation here with rabbits and camels. Both are introduced animals brought out for a specific purpose and then abandoned. There are now over 200 million rabbits here- does anyone want a new pet? smile

I've read about the horrendous rabbit problem in Australia. Have the authorities made any real strides in controlling the bunny population?

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 05:01 PM

They have tried- the disease myxomatosis was introduced in the 1950s and worked for a while, but eventually the rabbits became immune. The calicivirus was 'accidentally' released from a scientific lab in the 1990s, and also worked well, but again, the little blighters grew resistant.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 05:15 PM

Little blighters? shocked I'm covering my sensitive ears. tongue

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 05:19 PM

FT rabbits are obviously excluded from blighter-hood. smile

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 05:22 PM

My sister worked in Australia for slightly over a year and I joined her for a months vacation. One night, people she met there took us on a rabbit hunt. Since I knew that rabbits were a huge problem, I didn't have a problem trying to shoot as many as possible.

Sorry, floppsy.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 06:00 PM

You ain't seen nothing yet, Oz. We have 40 million rabbits in these small islands and you only have 200 million in that vast continent! I blame the Romans. smile

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 09:32 PM

...and there is not one wild rabbit in the whole of Hong Kong.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 10:59 PM

Same thing in the FL Everglades, now being overtaken by abandoned pets like pythons, which grow to immense size and can easily kill an alligator. The area is under enough stress with nitrates in the aquifer from the massive agricultural dominance in Palm Beach County. Almost anything can thrive in FL and it already has unwanted noxious weeds (three major trees/shrubs: Australian Pine, Brazilian Pepper and Melaleauca) as well as fire ants - now considered native in the southern states.
On the other hand, honeybees are endangered now - possibly a side effect of the presence of Africanized bees. shocked

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Aug 21 2013 11:03 PM

Humans are too often the problem. In the US, trying to effect a quick fix they import a carp species to clear a lake of noxious water weeds. That works very well. Now the carp have become the problem and the unwanted species. What next?
crazy

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: ren33
...and there is not one wild rabbit in the whole of Hong Kong.

They are very tasty so poor you. I have two in my freezer at the moment, I can sense a rabbit casserole coming on. smile

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 08:22 AM

Oh dear! (Blocking Flopsy's ears quick)

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 12:28 PM

I like a good rabbit stew. Cannibalism I know but do I feel guilty? No chance.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 12:50 PM

I have just finished eating and it was delicious, I will have the remainder tomorrow. smile
Posted by: ClaraSue

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 07:31 PM

Quote:
We have the same situation here with rabbits and camels. Both are introduced animals brought out for a specific purpose and then abandoned. There are now over 200 million rabbits here- does anyone want a new pet?

Seriously? Camels? I can imagine feral camels would create quite a problem. grin

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 07:54 PM

I am sure they do. There are more wild camels there than anywhere else in the world.They were imported into Australia in the 1800's for transport. Then when cars arrived they were released into the wild. Apparently they cause damage to crops and drink a lot of water which is scarce in desert areas. Big problem. I suppose there is a limit to how many camel rides you can sell to the tourists.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 07:54 PM

True! They are confined to the middle of Australia, which is mostly desert, so it would be highly improbable to see a herd charging through the streets of Sydney. They cause a lot of damage to the vegetation, because they eat almost any plant they can find, and in the inland, there are not that many plants!

Camels were imported from the Middle East when Australia was being explored in the 19th century. With the arrival of motor vehicles, their usefulness was past, and they were let run wild. There are probably a million or so out there. In the Northern Territory and the top part of Western Australia, camel races are popular.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 07:57 PM

Snap Greg!

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 07:59 PM

smile

I bet they don't have any feral camels in HK, either!

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Thu Aug 22 2013 08:21 PM

Nope.(could solve the transport probs) Lots of monkeys though.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Fri Aug 23 2013 10:02 AM

I can't imagine how you could eat those fluffy, nose wiggling bunnies. Don't you remember Thumper in Disney's "Bambi"? Just think about a bunny hopping by with a fluffy tail the next time you stick your fork in one. And think of sweet little Thumper, all fluff, softness and cute.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Fri Aug 23 2013 10:26 AM

smile

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Fri Aug 23 2013 10:27 AM

Then think of the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog and eat it before it eats you!
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Fri Aug 23 2013 07:19 PM

Quote:
They are confined to the middle of Australia, which is mostly desert,

We saw a lot of feral camels when we toured the Northern Territory in 2010 - mostly on the journey from Ayer's Rock (or Uluru to the PC brigade) to Kings Canyon to Alice Springs. I believe that there are culling programmes which result in the meat being processed and exported to Saudi Arabia.

Getting back to the original topic, I don't put my cats on a leash because I don't talk them for walks. However, they are confined to the house and a "cattery" that we built onto the house. It's like a large walk-in aviary which runs down one side of the house. If they wish to go outside, they go into their cattery which they access from the laundry. It contains cat toys and things for them to climb on such as logs and platforms. Keeps them safe, keeps the local wildlife safe and keeps the neighbours happy.
Posted by: ladymacb29

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Sat Aug 24 2013 08:26 PM

Oh Mother Goose - I would have loved to have had such a thing for my cat! We considered making our balcony into a little one, but by that time, our cat was so old he didn't seem to care about anything besides laying in the sunbeams.

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Sat Aug 24 2013 09:28 PM

For years the land next door to us lay vacant. Then a young couple built a house on it and moved in with their young and aggressive cat. In almost every respect they were great neighbours, however, their cat kept coming into our yard and attacking my two cats, who were very old (17) and, like your cat, did nothing other than lay around sunning themselves.

Unfortunately, when I approached the young lady about trying to keep her cat out of our yard, she refused to accept that her cat was wandering and insisted that our cats were entering her house - which I knew to be untrue. I really did not want a bad relationship with my neighbour, so I thought the cattery was the best solution to the problem. In the six months prior to building the cattery, I spent about $1500 in vet bills for abscesses caused by her cat attacking my cats. The cattery cost me slightly less than that and I have never had a vet bill for abscesses since. I think the cattery has probably paid for itself in that regard.

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Sun Aug 25 2013 09:52 AM

Hi Mother Goose:

What a terrific idea. It sounds like a good solution for dogs too.

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Sun Aug 25 2013 05:17 PM

Quote:
What a terrific idea. It sounds like a good solution for dogs too.

Until last Easter we had a dog. Unfortunately we lost him to cancer. He was a lovely dog and very friendly as long as we were around. But if you tried to enter our yard when we weren't home, he got very protective. For this reason, there were occasions when there were people coming to the house when we weren't there, e.g. tradespeople, and we would have to do something with him to ensure their safety. The cattery came in handy for housing him on a temporary basis!
Posted by: Lones78

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Tue Aug 27 2013 01:21 AM

Oh no! Is that your big dog that I met the day I met you MG? He was beautiful, so gentle and placid. That's sad that he's now gone frown

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Tue Aug 27 2013 08:23 AM

Yes, it was the same dog.
Posted by: C30

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Wed Sep 25 2013 04:20 AM

Same as MotherGoose......we have an outside Cattery for our 4 elderly cats. Our eldest is 20 years old, then one at 16, one at 15 and "the lad" at 11..............too many people in this locality have lost their pets thanks to speeding motorists. It is supposed to be a 30mph zone.........very few, if any, stick to it and a policeman comes under "urban myth" as I can't recall the last time I saw one around here.
So "Boy Racers" use our road a a short cut and a Formula 1 track unchecked.

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Wed Sep 25 2013 04:05 PM

We don't have to worry about speeding motorists, but the small outdoor pets have to be on the alert for coyotes and large hawks. The coyotes, especially, have become a problem since people keep encroaching on their habitat.
Posted by: daver852

Re: I Don't Understand Cat Owners - Sat Sep 28 2013 02:15 PM

People don't encroach on coyotes; coyotes encroach on people.
Posted by: TriviaFan22

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Sat Jun 07 2014 07:30 PM

I used to walk my cat on a leash. But when I moved more into the downtown area, I haven't let him outside because he developed deep anxiety about the cars, the stairs and elevator. Sad in a way but it's a busy town and he doesn't belong out there.
Posted by: windrush

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Jun 11 2014 06:50 PM

I live in a rural area, with a neutered male cat. He was a happy indoor cat till we got invaded by aggressive toms. By the time we had trapped and delivered 42 feral cats to the RSPCA, Leo had developed deep neurosis. The only way I could stop him spraying and clawing everything in sight was to let him outside so he could mark his territory twice a night. Fortunately he's too old and clumsy to do much damage to the native wildlife, and he's normally back inside within a couple of minutes.
Posted by: ElusiveDream

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Tue Jun 17 2014 12:21 AM

My cat stays indoors. I bought a harness and leash for her so she could go outside, but she won't wear it.
Posted by: StarfishTwo

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Sat Sep 06 2014 04:25 PM

The difference in walking a dog on a leash and walking a cat on a leash: when walking a cat, you must go where the cat wants to go. You can't expect to lead him steadily down the sidewalk. Instead, your walk will be 5 paces north, 10 paces southwest, 2 paces east, 2 paces west, 2 paces east, 8 paces north ~ and insert looong sniffing pauses in between all of those!

Like spanishliz, I had a rescue cat years ago that had been declawed, so could not go outside. And he was dying to -- constantly trying to get out the door. So I got him a harness, and at first he would just lie there, but once he realized it would allow him to explore outside, he loved it!

I know that many cats live long, happy lives outside, but it's extremely dependent on the neighborhood. It seems cruel if one lives on a busy street to get a cat and let it outside, knowing the chances are high that the cat won't live long. I've moved several times over the last two decades, and without knowing what sort of neighborhood might figure in my next home, I've found it better to let my cats get used to being inside. But I have built them a screened porch every place I've lived that had any sort of place feasible to do so ~ including the balcony of a city apartment building.
Posted by: JanIQ

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Nov 05 2014 05:03 AM

I think I'll need to sober up some time. When I presented to my cat a plate of smoked trout and then opened a bottle of beer for myself, suddenly I saw three cats... The beer was a "triple" ale, maybe that has to do something with it.

Re: I Dont Understand Cat Ownerss - Wed Nov 05 2014 07:05 AM

Originally Posted By: JanIQ
I think I'll need to sober up some time. When I presented to my cat a plate of smoked trout and then opened a bottle of beer for myself, suddenly I saw three cats... The beer was a "triple" ale, maybe that has to do something with it.

Hey, you're in the country of a million beers! Maybe two more joined your cat and just wanted a sip!! 😀