Craft Circle - Scrapbooking

Posted by: sue943

Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sun Jun 03 2007 08:14 AM

A forum for scrapbooking hints and requests.
Posted by: Copago

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sun Jun 03 2007 06:40 PM

Just replying to Taesma form the other thread

Quote:

Does anyone else do digital scrapbooking?

I've looked at that over and over and just can't work it out. I love the different effects you can get with it opposed to paper scrapbooking. It looks great but I think I'd go cross-eyed working it out.

What programme do you use, T? and Where mostly would you get your elements from or do you create them yourself?

Here is my latest effort - I was experimenting with some stamps I recently got with the title and the photo corner flourish. Blow
Posted by: aginor

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sun Jun 03 2007 07:50 PM

Those stamps look great, Copago! I love the whole purple theme.
Posted by: Taesma

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sun Jun 03 2007 10:29 PM

Very nice page, Copago! Looks very professional.

Well, I use Photoshop Elements, but there are quite a few others and everybody has a different opinion on what's the best, easiest, etc. A lot of the digiscrapping sites have reviews and such. I like what I've got but I know I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.

I think that paper scrapbooking and digital are both very much the same and very different. I am fairly adept at the electronic stuff but a klutz when it comes to working with actual objects. (Please don't give me a hot glue gun, I will look like I've been tortured when I'm finished. ) So in the technical sense they're very different, but the art/craft of it is just the same. So if you can get a handle on operating the program, you'll have no trouble since you already are adept at layouts.

As far as elements, I haven't created any myself, although I don't think it's too difficult with my program. But it's really a different sort of art. There are people who only make elements (and kits) and others who only scrap. There are a lot of nice kits outs there, and also a lot of great templates and simple pages you can just drop a photo in. (Which are nice for learning, by the way, since you're just manipulating the photo and not all the separate elements.)
As far as sites, there are a bunch of different ones I use but they're commercial sites so I don't think I can post them. (Correct?) I can pm them if you'd like. Most of them have lots of freebies so you don't have to buy anything if you don't want to, at least at first.

You know, I don't have anything on this computer as an example of stuff I've done. Except for this thing but that's not really scrapbooking--that's a powerpoint background, only the text is a scrapping element.

Well, there's this one and this one that I did using a little program they have on Nickjr.com.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jun 09 2007 05:08 AM

Hmmm Nickjr you say? I must go have a look - spend enough time watching the channel it wouldn't hurt to look at the website

I've often thought about getting photoshop just to mess around with the actual photos before printing them but I just use Microsoft Picture It! and reallythink it does everything I need it to. Just see photoshop mentioned so often that I feel it's a must have.

Might check with Sue about the linking but I think it's fine unless it's YOUR commercial site (or one you work for). As far as sharing hints and tips I don't think it counts as spam.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jun 09 2007 05:34 AM

A difficult subject. We do normally ban links to site which sell or it becomes a minefield "You let them post links in such a thread so what is the difference?" Probably best to let people send you a PM for the sites, then everyone is happy. Then we do permit suggestions in Science and Techonology for some sites which can help our members, but who charge for their software. Perhaps use your judgement, if they are TOO commercial then we can pull them. If they are going to be more a help to our members they might be OK. After all said and done, we permit the mention of the names of commercial products such as Photoshop Elements.
Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jun 09 2007 07:08 AM

Never tried scrapbooking. Perhaps one day. At the moment, we have lots and lots of photos on CDs.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jun 09 2007 02:51 PM

You'd do it in a cinch, Jane - all the same techniques as in cardmaking just with a photo added
Posted by: Butterfrog

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jul 07 2007 11:00 AM

It's a little bit off the subject but... I do card making and there is a scrapbook element to that. I have recently done some pages for my school yearbook in a scrapbook sort-of theme.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jul 07 2007 11:19 AM

There is a thread for cardmaking if you would like to share any cardmaking tips with us.

http://www.funtrivia.com/ubbthreads/show...ge=0#Post795388
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jul 07 2007 11:54 AM

I started off doing cardmaking and then branched into scrapbooking. They go together beautifully. I use a lot of cardmaking techniques (like embossing) in my scrapbooking and I use my rubber stamps to embellish my pages instead of buying stickers. And I use my leftover pieces of scrapbooking paper on my cards.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jul 07 2007 04:18 PM

MG where do you get you stamps from? I was looking at the Stampin' Up! catalogue online and am thinking of getting it but it does seem an expensive kind of hobby to branch into ... but oh so tempting. Is there a cheaper place I should be looking?

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jul 07 2007 06:49 PM

I use a local guy whose stamps are really cheap and very good quality. I don't know what he uses but it isn't the usual brown rubber; it's a clear flexible plastic. It makes a lovely clean impression and I find that with his stamps I never get blurring.

He custom-made two stamps for me recently and they only cost me $6 and $7 and he made them within 24 hours.

He sells his stamps on e-bay but I buy mine directly from him because he's just in the neighbouring suburb.

Edited to remove link to stamp website: when I originally posted it, my only motivation was to answer Copago's question. However, upon reflection, I realised that it contravened FT rules about posting links to commercial websites. If anyone is interested, I can give them the link by PM.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sun Jul 08 2007 04:01 AM

I have a few rubber stamps, but as you say, they can be costly. I wonder if I would use each one enough to warrant the cost. In card-making it would make each card very expensive unless you make dozens with each one. I must admit I love the medallion stamps and have a pile of those. Also, last Christmas I bought a range of the sort of stamps you are talking about MG, you stick the ones I bought to an acrylic block to use, then peel it off and store it in what looks like a CD case. These are cheaper although having said that I have actually only used one of them and that was 'Happy Christmas' or something similar! This year I will look through them, all 280ish, and use some on my Christmas cards.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sun Jul 08 2007 05:51 AM

Yes, Sue, whenever I buy a stamp, I always ask myself - how often will I use this stamp? will it be versatile?

When I make a card, I usually make a dozen or so - not necessarily identical but along the same basic line - so that I do get my money's worth.

For example, I recently bought a stamp that is two wine glasses being "clinked" together. I figure it could be used on an engagement card, a wedding card, a 21st birthday card, or any sort of congratulatory card.

I've been lucky enough to receive a lot of nice stamps as birthday and Christmas gifts from one of my friends, and I also watch the specials bins at the local stamp shop.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sun Jul 08 2007 09:23 AM

Today's Special Value on QVC - UK is a box of 75 stamps mounted on wood for a really good price (38.92 - 91.2175 AUD). In fact one would only need to use each one about twice to make them worth buying - oh what the heck, I have just placed my order. That price includes delivery, it would cost anyone in the UK more than that, 45.73 - 107.178 AUD, I don't have to pay VAT.

Quote:

45 large, and 30 small wooden stamps with well-defined rubber impressions. They come in an incredible variety of designs, including 14 Christmas, 15 Floral Garden, 6 Baby and 5 Wedding stamps. There's also 2 New Home, 2 With Sympathy, 20 Birthday designs, with the remainder miscellaneous. The set comes in a storage box which can be easily customised and turned into a great gift.

Posted by: spanishliz

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jul 14 2007 04:31 PM

My sister got me started scrapbooking about a year and a half ago, but I'm still pretty much a beginner. Took me a year to finish my first project (a gift for a friend in Spain) and since then I've been working on pages rather than complete albums. Current ongoing project is a calendar of Victoria Cross recipients... I tend to bend the craft to my own interests. Finding khaki paper was a bit difficult, but the scrapbooking store in Trenton (just down the road and site of a major Canadian Forces Base) came through for me.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Thu Apr 08 2010 11:35 AM

You scrapping ladies, I need your input. I have been invited to go to a crop on Saturday and as you know I am not a scrapbooker so need to know what to take with me. I do have a couple of albums and plenty of 12 x 12 papers, I assume I need to take some of these. Do I take pads or a few sheets?

What would I need to take, it is from 10am to 4pm so a long time.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Thu Apr 08 2010 11:45 AM

I forgot to mention, I do have a wheelable craft tote so getting the stuff there isn't a problem, I just need to know what to take.
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Thu Apr 08 2010 01:48 PM

I guess it depends on whether or not there's a project planned for the event?

I've only ever attended one crop, and the materials were supplied for the project. I did bring along all my cutting equipment and cutting mat, as well as double sided tape, glue, etc. In the end I didn't need more than that, except for some different inks.

However, if it's a make what you want day you may need to bring papers and cardstock with you. As for photos, I didn't bring any, I added them to the album after the event, so that I could print them to the sizes I needed. It might be a good idea to bring along the photos you want to use so as to put them with suitable papers?

Maybe someone more experienced than me could be of more help?

Lizzzzzz??? Copagooo???? where are you???

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Thu Apr 08 2010 03:37 PM

I tend to get my photos ready and try to get an idea of colours and papers that I want to use and then pack all that.
Some people I know make up kits for the pics so they'll have the photo, paper, title letters and so on so all they have to do is assemble the page when they get there. It saves them dragging all the stuff around when they might not use it.

Do you have to scrapbook though? Or would you be ostracized if you sat there and made cards?

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Fri Apr 09 2010 03:58 AM

I think it is definitely scrapbooking. The woman who used to run the card club thing goes to it so suggested that I might like to go to get ideas apart from anything else.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Apr 10 2010 09:43 AM

Yes ladies, it was good fun. The woman one side of me was just sticking photos in an album, no scrapbooking in sight, I don't understand why she paid to go unless it was that she hasn't enough space to work at home.

I have several pages to be finished then I will show you some.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Apr 10 2010 10:32 AM

Sorry to be so late reading this, as I expect Sue's home from her crop by now. I always take whatever my current project is, and a card kit for backup in case I run out of things to do. Usually I take much more than I really need, but almost always lack something. This is usually not a real problem because someone will have what I need and be willing to share

In my experience as many people are making cards as working on scrapbook pages, but that might just be because there isn't a dedicated card making group.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Apr 10 2010 02:01 PM

Can't wait to see your piccies, Sue! and glad you enjoyed the crop!

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Apr 10 2010 03:06 PM

Glad you enjoyed the day, Sue. I'd love to see your pages too.
Every year in September I go to a long weekend crop and just love it. Already we're talking about it for this year. I've had people ask "why" and wonder what the attraction is and it's just being with people who have become good friends who have the same interests. Maybe your neighbours doing the photos was just happy to be around others?

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Apr 10 2010 07:53 PM

This is apparently a regular monthly thing and in September some people are coming from the UK to do workshops, there are classes of an hour each for five projects, they supply everything and we work to a theme - yes, I have signed up.

I can see the attraction of going to craft with a group, crafting can be a solitary activity and it is nice to share and have a chat with others who enjoy the same thing. I am going on my parching week again later this year.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Mon Apr 12 2010 05:21 AM

I have just been looking at a CD of old photos and scans and printed out a letter my mother wrote to my father when he was on the danger list in Egypt during the war, is this the sort of thing one might include, it was written in a birthday card and there is a scan of the card too. My sister has the original, there are more of a similar ilk too.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Mon Apr 12 2010 08:17 AM

I'd think something like that would be perfect to include. You can really tell a story with something like that letter.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Mon Apr 12 2010 09:06 AM

I have a photo somewhere of him in that hospital in Egypt too. It was one of those sad stories, they got married, then he went back to barracks immediately, came home again for a few days embarkation leave then the next time she saw him he had one leg amputated. There are lots of the message cards that he sent to her.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Sep 25 2010 12:05 PM

I am exhausted. Today I went to a scrapbooking session, it started at 9am and we finished at 5.30pm. I say finished but I haven't finished them all and will be going back tomorro to finish off. We had five projects to do, all papers, embellishments and the designs were provided within the fee. We worked on one at the time and if we didn't finish by the time the next class was due to start we put it aside for tomorrow or to finish at home.

The first one, unfinished by me, was round. It is within a twelve inch embroidery frame, to be hones I don't know what one does with a three dimentional scrapbook page. I might be changing the photo in it, I will have to have a look to see what I can find, and if it can be changed without wrecking the thing.

~The middle three are more or less finished I think, but the final one certainly isn't as I was addle brained by then - I know it features in one of the three photos the woman who made me do my first ever scrapbook page!

I have left them all behind until tomorrow so I will take photos another day.

The classes were done by Scrap A GoGo.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Tue Sep 28 2010 05:14 AM

Scrapbooking workshops are brilliant!!! I've just completed my first one ever and I had an absolutely fantastic time. It was over two days and we 'only' did two pages and two mini-albums. I finished the pages but not the minis. I'll have my work cut out for me for the next while to finish off both of them, but I'm thrilled with the outcome and will definitely be signing up for the next workshop, despite the very high fee.

It is exhausting, two days of non stop scrapbooking, but exhilirating too. I was on a high for the whole of the journey home afterwards.

I can't wait to sign up for another workshop now!

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Tue Sep 28 2010 05:54 AM

I think this company come over here once each year, the fee is 75 for the day which covers tuition, materials and refreshments (lots of cake and chocolate but not lunch though). It also covered us going back the next day to finish off, probably more incentive than leaving it to finish at home, especially for a non-enthusiastic scrapbooker like me, I have lots of pages for finishing when I get around to them. smile

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Wed Sep 29 2010 07:15 PM

sounds like great fun! Once you have the techniques I find you can chop and change them between scrapping and cards. I just think it's fun getting together with others that like doing the same thing as you do smile

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Sat Jun 25 2011 06:49 AM

I went to a charity shop yesterday and picked up an unused 12x12 album for 1. It is off-white fabric. That has to be a bargain in anyone's book.

Re: Craft Circle - Scrapbooking - Fri Dec 27 2013 03:20 PM

Bumping.