Craft Circle - General chat

Posted by: Copago

Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Oct 26 2007 04:23 PM

I wonder if any of the Americans here can help me - my Mum is heading off tripping to New York and surrounds next month and I was going to give her a list of craft things she could pick up for me as they are so cheap compared to what I have to pay here and also the Australian dollar is going great against the US dollar at the moment.

So, I've only heard about Hobby Lobby, Joanne's and Michaels ... are they nation wide shops? Which one is the best and would it be in New York?
Posted by: Jar

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Oct 26 2007 04:36 PM

I just googled both Michaels and Joanne's and find they are nation wide. In fact, New York looks like it has lots of both. There are no Hobby Lobby stores in New York though. If there are more "localized" craft stores in the area, someone from that end of the nation will have to help you there.
Posted by: Taesma

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Oct 26 2007 04:36 PM

I love Michael's. There is a Joann's just a few blocks away from me, but it is more fabric/sewing oriented (I don't know if they all are, they used to be) and I am allergic to sewing.
Michael's is just a really fun place for me, and I go in often just to browse and see what new junk they have.

Both companies seem to have several locations in New York and the surrounding areas. You can do a store location search on their websites. Plus you can take a look at what they have, too.

I've never heard of Hobby Lobby, so can't help ya there.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Oct 26 2007 04:44 PM

Thanks for that, Jar and Taesma

I will have to find out what part of the city she will be in and give her specific directions to a shop. She can can lost in a small village so there are some doubts she will ever make it out of New York. (if anyone is reading from New York and about mid November you see a middle age woman looking lost and with a funny accent, please help her )

I wanted to get some watercolour pencils (for a start). Looking around yesterday I can get them here for $120 ... or pay $55 from the US. Craziness.
Posted by: ren33

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Oct 26 2007 04:50 PM

Jill, ask Chelseabelle, she lives in NY.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Oct 26 2007 04:52 PM

I know, but I haven't spoken to her in yonks (my fault) and I'd feel funny starting now to ask something.
Posted by: lothruin

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Oct 27 2007 09:50 PM

The cards look beautiful, Sue! Your disasters sure turn out well!

I love making calendars, and Spanishliz, yours is really nice! Crops are the best, aren't they?

Copago, binder machine! That sounds dangerous. To my family life, not to my person. Oh how I do not need any more things. The journals look fantastic!

Between Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Joanns, I prefer Hobby Lobby for general crafty goodness. Unfortunately, it looks like there are none in New York. For the water color pencils, I would suggest either Michaels or Dick Blick, which is an art supply store, and there is one in New York City. Dick Blick has an online catalog that lists prices, and if you like, I could check Michaels for the brand of watercolor pencil you want for cost comparisons. My guess is they'll be cheaper at Dick Blick. I love that place. What else are you looking for? I have a good friend and fellow moderator at Craftster who lives in New York City. She knows all the good local craft and art shops!

Here's what I've been working on. It's Kit's Halloween costume. She's Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl from Toy Story 2. I always make her costumes as much out of street clothes as possible because it is warmer (a must in Nebraska in October), more comfortable and more practical for the various parties and trick-or-treating. This year it's a plain white sweatshirt with an appliqued western-style yoke with embroidery, a fake button placket made of an old T-shirt and "fringed" cuffs added on. The hat she already had, she's wearing a white polo underneath to provide the shirt collar, and she's got on plain jeans with cow-print chaps that attach with velcro straps. I have a big piece of fake tooled leather felt that I'll be using to make a belt and cowboy boot spats, but we had a party tonight, and I hadn't gotten them finished yet. I just got my sewing machine working again after 6 years, and it's sometimes hard to sew on an already finished garment, but with a combination of hand-stitching and machine sewing, and considering my relatively weak skills with a needle and thread, I'm really pleased with it.

Posted by: minkpenny

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Oct 27 2007 10:13 PM

Wow, Lothruin, that is a great costume! You are very creative and resourceful! Your little girl looks so cute and happy Great picture and costume.
Posted by: sue943

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Oct 28 2007 06:10 AM

She looks great.

Is it that time of year already?

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Oct 28 2007 09:34 AM

Thanks! Yep, Sue, Wednesday is Halloween.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Oct 28 2007 10:09 AM

Lothruin could you re-post your post and photo as I have broken this section off.
Can we try to keep posts not related to a photo in the general threads please.

Thanks

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Mon Oct 29 2007 01:00 PM

After the talk of calendars here I decided to print some with some of my photographs from the year. I am printing them on ordinary paper at the moment, but thicker, 160 gms in weight.

I have some software which will print out calendars, either with twelve pages or a single sheet.

I bet it gets through some ink!

Hopefully they will come out ok.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Mon Oct 29 2007 01:35 PM

I looked up Dick Blicks and nearly died at the prices! Sooo cheap and the Australian dollar is over 93cUS at the moment so conversion is nearly not worth thinking about. Thanks for the recommendation, Loth. It looks like it's just down the road fromthe Empire State Building and I know she'll be going there. Main thing I was after was some watercolour pencils that seem to be under $50 there and over $100 here and would be light and easy for her to carry around (or . Will ahve to have a browse through the website and see what else I HAVE to have.

And yes, the binder is one of my favourite toys. IT's just a little one but does a great job. Have used it heaps already

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Mon Oct 29 2007 05:36 PM

I have water colour pencils, haven't used them yet. I can't remember what I paid for them.

I have some Sakura pens arriving any day. Midnight starts yet another Craft Day on QVC, hour upon hour of crafting. I will NOT buy anything! In fact I am going to send back something I bought last week - I have done that several times lately, I am going to stop ordering all this stuff and sending it back as I have to pay postage both ways.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Mon Oct 29 2007 06:27 PM

What do Sakura pencils do ... and do I need them???

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Mon Oct 29 2007 08:52 PM

Sakura pens are awesome archival ink pens that lots of professional illustrators use. What brand of watercolor pencils were you looking at? I've had great luck with the Faber-Castell Aquerelle pencils, but Prismacolor (the makers of my absolute favorite colored pencils in the whole world, although I got into them when they were still made by Berol, now they're made by Sanford) makes a watercolor pencil, and ALL their pencils are really of the highest quality.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Mon Oct 29 2007 10:06 PM

To tell the truth I've never even set eyes on a watercolour pencil . I want them for colouring stamped images. Just from reading and researching the Prismacolor and Derwent ones seems to be the best received so was going to go for one of them.
Posted by: The_lioness33

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 30 2007 01:25 AM

Derwents are pretty good, both the watercolour and normal ones. I have a small pack of them though, and they cost a fair bit.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 30 2007 01:35 AM

Think how much you paid for the then look at dickblicksdotcom and be prepared to be amazed

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 30 2007 01:45 AM

Wow, consider me officially amazed.

I think I got my set of 12 studio pencils for about $15 AUS. They are about $11 there.

I can possibly afford some for my friend's Christmas pressie now. He wanted a full box, but I can probably settle for 24 of the artist ones.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 30 2007 03:55 AM

I just looked at my watercolour pencils, a box of 24, they are a make that I have never heard of, West.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 30 2007 08:50 AM

Well, as I said, I've never used the Prismacolor watercolor pencils, but Prismacolor as a brand is entirely wonderful. Every one of their pencils I've ever used has been a joy. In fact, that mermaid illustration was done with Prismacolor colored pencils. They're a lovely wax-based lead that blends beautifully. I feel totally comfortable in recommending them just based on the brand name.
Posted by: shavsy

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 30 2007 12:26 PM

Prismacolor for colour and Derwent for normal drawing pencils

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Oct 31 2007 12:05 AM

Does anyone want me to price an art materials here? No duty and stuff is still cheap. I love window shopping and will price Prismacolour and Derwent. Watch this space.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Oct 31 2007 12:37 AM

ooo, yes please
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Oct 31 2007 07:07 AM

This thread is a double-edged sword!!! All these great ideas and suggestions . . . but soooooo much lovely stuff to buy! My bank account is probably relieved I don't live near a well-stocked store, (though internet is never too far away :-\ )

Now would somebody mind letting me know just what watercolour pencils are used for and how?

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Oct 31 2007 09:29 AM

Sara, while you are pricing, price Sakura gelly roll pens. They come in different types, for instance metallic, glitter, glaze and more. They are Japanese.

Mine just arrived and they are to die for!

I just paid 37.33 to QVC for 13 glitter and 10 glaze, but that includes 5.45 P&P.

I just looked on Joanna Sheen's site, she doesn't charge for P&P and will send worldwide for free except for paper, card and heavy stuff. On her site single pens range from 1.10 to 1.65 but she does various sets and one set is 27.50 for 25, and another set is 26.40 for 16 - different types, not different sized packs of the same ones. I think I might buy from her in future rather than QVC - I will have to see. They are supposed to last a long time anyway.

I can't wait to use them. Jill they would be great to colour in stamping. You can even use them to paint by using water with them. You can also apply direct to the stamps instead of ink then spritz with water and stamp with them.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Oct 31 2007 08:16 PM

*hands over ears* I'm not listening I'm not listening I'm not listening!!!

Santanna - you blend water with them and it creats a more paint watercolour look.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Nov 07 2007 04:52 AM

I wasn't sure whether this is really for here or for the toilet roll thread.

http://www.cheap-chic-weddings.com/wedding-contest-2006.html

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Nov 07 2007 05:35 AM

haha! that's crazy!!! so crazy that it just might work! I like the crosshatch one down the screen a bit.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Nov 07 2007 05:36 AM

hihihi some people really have too much time on their hands!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Nov 07 2007 05:39 AM

Makes for a cheap wedding dress though.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Thu Nov 08 2007 12:17 AM

Wow, that's pretty cool. If I tried that the paper would break.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Thu Nov 08 2007 01:02 AM

Well, I wonder if they do something to it to strengthen it, Lioness?

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Nov 09 2007 02:16 AM

that would be a bit better, I still wouldn't trust it not to rip either in the process of making it or at the actual ceremony. That last one could be a bit akward.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Nov 09 2007 02:26 AM

I bet it isn't homebrand stuff they use!! It's have to be tripple ply and a brand with a cute puppy on it to stand up to the work!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Dec 08 2007 02:00 PM

Can someone tell me why on earth a large store which has a huge toy department and a large craft section would organise a day's craft workshop/demonstrations on 8th December?

Such events ought to be early autumn when people have money to spend and the prospect of the winter to come, and it is not fit weather for the beach.

Most people have far better things to spend money on at this time of year and are rushed off their feet with shopping for presents.

Not that I am complaining, far from it. An expert was flown in and the workshop/demonstrations were from 10.30am to 6pm with a short break for lunch. Two of us, the other being a woman of similar age to myself, plus for a short time a couple of other ladies (this morning) had the expert to ourselves.

This morning she was demonstrating techniques for which I already have the paints, but was waiting for some nozzles which she brought with her. I learned a great deal and will be playing later.

Then this afternoon she taught us silk painting, oh la! As it was just the two of us women we were able to ask lots of questions and to have a go at it ourselves. Later she showed us other fabric painting.

She gave us some patterns to get us started and some silk panels ready to work. She also gave us some samples of cards and other things she had demonstrated.

I went with the intention of just buying a few essentials, like the nozzles, but ended up buying all the stuff to enable me to do silk painting cards and the fabric painting.

I have finished making my Christmas cards, all seventy four of them, so now I can play with a clear conscience.

I wonder what it would have cost if we had had to pay for a seven hour course with just two people to the instructor - quite a lot I think.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Dec 08 2007 02:35 PM

wow, good fortune for you! I haven't been to many craft days but I do prefer the smaller ones but have to feel sorry for the shop owner who must prefer the place to be heaving.

The silk painting sounds interesting .. look forward to seeing what you do with that.
Posted by: denni19

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Dec 08 2007 03:51 PM

Sounds like you've had a very good time in there. And a fine cuddle too .

Quote:

I went with the intention of just buying a few essentials, like the nozzles, but ended up buying all the stuff to enable me to do silk painting cards and the fabric painting.

Bad girl! I told you to be careful and not empty all the Jersey shops .

Can't wait to see your silk paintings, I bet they are going to be stunning too, like every other craft things you've did in your favourite techniques.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Dec 08 2007 04:16 PM

This is the cuddle to which Mada refers. TW told me off for putting a photo NOT taken by me in the Photo-a-Day thread, even if it was only a link, so I had to remove it. Bad me!

I asked Santa if I could give it a tug and the naughty man said "Yes, but don't pull my beard!". Naughty! It was a real beard and mustache.
Posted by: MotherGoose

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Dec 08 2007 06:34 PM

Lucky Sue (for the personalised craft lesson and getting to cuddle Father Christmas/Santa Claus too!).

We have a friend who works as a Santa every year and he has his own authentic beard and moustache. It really freaks the children when they pull his beard and find out it's real. You can see from the looks on their faces that they are wondering if perhaps this time, it really is Santa!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Thu Jan 03 2008 03:17 PM

I have just won another $76 US worth of craft supplies! Same site as before, I feel quite guilty.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Thu Jan 03 2008 05:31 PM

Congratulations !

No need to feel guilty at all, you are one talented and lucky lady. Happy shopping!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Jan 04 2008 06:46 PM

Ooh, that's great, Sue!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Jan 04 2008 09:59 PM

Nice one, Sue! It can be an expenisve hobby so take the goodies when you can .. guilt free!!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Mar 12 2008 06:39 PM

Just bringing this one which is for general craft chat...

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Aug 09 2008 02:45 AM

Congratulations to Santana2002 for winning $50 US on the craft site which some of us belong to.

Way to go! Now all three of us have won on there.

Joanna Sheen has some nice stuff, she won't post heavier things but the lighter stuff she doesn't charge P&P - she says which items can't ship overseas.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Aug 09 2008 07:51 AM

Thanks, Sue, and sorry for (once again) posting in the wrong thread. I had fogotten about the 'general' craft thread
Posted by: Jar

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Sep 07 2008 04:33 PM

Okay ya'll, I've a question for you. Your photos of cards is starting to get under my skin. Like maybe I need to try a hand at it. More specifically Sue, those cards you use to make with a burnishing tool. (?) They are gorgeous. My friend looks at me askance (yes, *askance*) and wonders - rightfully so - "when are you going to have time to do that!" No problemo - I'll just fit it in between quilting, laundry, work, quilting, ironing, quilting, etc. You get the idea. But I think I'd really like to try.

June

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Mon Sep 08 2008 04:28 AM

Do you mean my parchment cards? When I use coloured pencils on them I use a wax pencil to burnish and blend the colours. Sometimes I just do white on white.

For the cards I use several techniques, there is the 'embossing', and then there is the 'gridwork'. The former produces the white designs, the later produces the lace effect. I start with a piece of 'parchment' paper, this is translucent and normally white although you can get colours. Then I trace a design, unless it is gridwork, then working with various special tools I emboss or shade. I use different tools and pressure to achieve different shades of white.

The gridwork involves pricking the paper then cutting out, very time consuming.

The longest I have spent making a card is about three days, I often spend a couple of days.

Send me a PM with your postal details and I will send you a card, it might not be yet as I am about to go away for a few days. Let me know if you want one with colours, whitework or 'lace' - or I suppose a mixture!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Oct 03 2008 07:49 PM

I mentioned it in the photo thread but know I should have said it here but today, Saturday the fourth is world card making day I've already made some this morning. If I find a design I like I usually make four of them. Actually don't ahve many original ideas I usually pinch them off others.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Oct 04 2008 04:41 AM

World card making day? Isn't every day a card making day?

I will need to investigate then get busy.

How did your mum's shopping trip in the US go? Did you get lots of craft goodies?

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Oct 04 2008 06:33 PM

sigh - I'm sure her shopping trip went well - it just didn't include much for me! I dont' think she really understands how hard it is to get some of the stuff here and how much more expensive it can be :shock:

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Oct 05 2008 07:29 AM

Poor Jillian, did you get your watercolour pencils?

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Oct 05 2008 02:30 PM

Nah, got nothing like that. Bought some myself from a stamping company. I'd never used them before but really like the effect of them and I coudln't paint normally to save my life so it's a good way to get the wishywashy effect of them.

You see some such amazing things that people do with crafts and have to wonder how much time they have on their hands or that they got more of one of the creative gene

I was going to suggest to you, Sue, to look into Stampin Up! cause I know they started in the UK last year but it doesn't seem that they service Jersey though. Doesn't seem fair really - are you considered UK only when it's convienient?

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Oct 05 2008 04:46 PM

Some of the companies accept me as UK but not all. They get upset when they normally use a courier delivery service instead of post. Our sales taxes are different too, strictly speaking they ought to not charge me VAT when sending goods but unless it is a significant amount I don't normally argue. I just bought loads of metallic card and 500 envelopes (bargain price) and got a message from the supplier saying the 3.50 P&P would now be 11 as they couldn't use the courier but as a bonus they removed the sales tax. Imported goods don't attract the local tax unless they are worth more than 300 as it costs too much to collect the tax.

I don't know if you have looked at Joanna Sheen, she sends worldwide postage free, but not for paper and card as that is too heavy. Rubber stamps would be P&P free to Australia.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Mon Nov 24 2008 08:49 PM

I came across this crafting site for children for Thanksgiving and the stuff does not seem too gross.
http://holidays.kaboose.com/thanksgiving/

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Thu Sep 17 2009 06:46 PM

Well ladies, I was in the UK last week to attend a funeral and since the airfare is an arm and a leg when you book close to the date of travel, like next day, I decided to spend a week there. I arranged to meet a woman from a craft forum site that I use and we hit two craft shops.

I spent too much in the first shop, I bought a couple of sheets of stamps which ate a chuck of plastic, then a few new Cuttlebug folders ate some more.

When we went to the second shop I was very restrained, just bought a few sheets of peeloffs and some cheap metallic card, it was about 5p per sheet for silver mirriboard and silver matt metallic board. Then on the way out we spotted some paper trimmers with changeable cutters. The woman demonstrated it to us and we both resisted temptation.

A couple of days later I was looking on the internet and Googled the trimmer and found one so ordered it, I couldn't resist it. Oooer, it is lovely, about eight different cuts.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Thu Sep 17 2009 07:27 PM

Don't tell me you're having purple cows now?

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 03:03 AM

Oh such fun, new stash. Your paper trimmer sounds interesting ... (can you pm me a link so I can be curious and see what it does?)

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 03:30 AM

Quote:

Don't tell me you're having purple cows now?

No purple cows, it is the Woodware one

Toni, I will send a PM with the link.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 03:48 AM

cool, new toys!

I went to a four day retreat over last weekend which was just great. It's the third year I've gone now and it's something I really look forward to. It's on another sheep station that does B&B farmstays and we craft in the shearing shed and we get catered for and all. It's just great. I did 18 layouts and 20 cards.

But out of all the stuff that I took, want to have a guess and what I forgot? Yup, my trimmer. d'oh! Luckily someone had a spare.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 03:49 AM

oh, can you send me the link, too, please Sue? Ta.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 03:59 AM

Quote:

oh, can you send me the link, too, please Sue? Ta.

Done.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, I am booked to go on a parching week in October, I booked it almost a year ago and yesterday I got a message on my answerphone to call the person arranging it as it might be cancelled. Apparently the credit crunch has kicked in and only eight people have indicated they are still going, the rest have pulled out and lost their 25 deposits. Last year it was fully subscribed and wait-listed only for ages. If it is cancelled I lose my airfare as it is non-refundable.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 04:05 AM

Sue, the Woodware looks even better than other ones. As far as I know, you can have 12 different cuts with that one if you wish .

Copago - "18 layouts and 20 cards"... in 4 days?
WOW! You're a machine not a human .

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 04:21 AM

oh they were pretty long days - we didn't waste too much time of petty things like sleep!

My latest toy is the scor-pal. have you guys hear of it? Makes scoring so easy. I like to make boxes and things like that and it makes them easy too. I'll put a photo in the craft gallery of a card box I made.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 04:24 AM

Oh no, Sue! I hope goes ahead! I remember last year you had a great time and came back with new techniques.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 04:31 AM

I have a scoring board, mine has card folds on one side and box folds on the other side, not that brand though.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Sep 18 2009 05:40 AM

'18 LOs and 20 cards' Hmmphh!!! Some people have all the luck *nyah*

If I could do 18 layouts in a whole year I think I'd be over the moon, just the idea of getting inspiration for that in 4 days is giving me an attack of the vapours!!! Can't wait to see yours, though, Jill (I might even be able to scraplift some of your hard-earned ideas )

Thanks for the PM Sue, have tossed that one into the 'wish list' basket and we'll see what the 40th birthday fairy brings me

I have a scoring board too, sounds like yours, Sue - a purple-y coloured board. Honestly? I have never used it! I can't get the hang of it, particularly not for the embossing element. Then again, I'm just not a card-maker. I can't seem to get the knack of simplifying things. My cards always end up looking a mess that I'd be ashamed to offer anybody!

Keeping my fingers crossed that your parching weekend doesn't get cancelled! I too remember how much you enjoyed it last year.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Oct 04 2009 04:08 PM

Ladies you have finally sort of persuaded me - this evening I have actually stamped no less than four images and painted them!

I was watching some water colour painting on telly this evening so thought perhaps I would stamp a couple of bits and colour them in with paints and it was fun.

Last week I bought some new stamps, I couldn't afford them but they were cute - they are owls. I am waiting for some EZ Mount Foam to arrive so that I can use them, they didn't have any when I bought the stamps and they are rubber rather than acrylic.

A couple of my efforts are sprays of flowers but the others are little fat robins so presumably I cut those out and stick them on cards rather than just leaving them on the scraps of card which I stamped on.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 20 2009 05:10 AM

Don't laugh but this evening I am going to a group which makes cards. Apparently we make three cards with the materials provided and tonight it involves the Glitter girls' embossing boards.

I have been told to 'bring your crafting kit', I really don't think they mean this, I would need a removal van!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 20 2009 05:48 AM

LOL 'bring your crafting kit' ... sounds a bit vague to me too!

I don't think I'd be able to craft away from home simply because I don't think I'd know which pieces of my 'kit' I'd need. At the very least I'd need my cutting mat, huge ruler and roller cutter, then there's the various glues and sellotapes, then what paper am I going to need, how much, in which colours? Embellishments for finishing: usually I choose these when the main body of work is done, and I try out lots of different things before deciding what to keep ...

Sounds like an impossible task to me to 'bring my crafting kit'!

Do let us know how you get on, though!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 20 2009 12:53 PM

You're probably alrdady there by now but I hope you have fun. How big a crafting kit did you take??
That retreat that I go to involves taking four large boxes AND a set of drawers

I like the stamping and card making mostly because it is a small area and becuase if you are stuck for ideas there are so many forums, blogs, galleries that you can get ideas or even just copy straight from.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Tue Oct 20 2009 02:59 PM

Needless to say I took lots of the wrong stuff and not enough of the right stuff! I took a glue-gel instead of foam tape and the wretched stuff had solidified in the syringe. Then I didn't take my creasing board nor mini guillitine nor my bowmaker. I really didn't need any of the various markers and fibre tips and only used one pencil from my box of 120 - that raised a few comments though, drool time.

I am going to a workshop in November so that will be fun. I did enjoy this evening, a bit of a challenge making cards to their design.

They have a 'shop' and most things are cheap, like Nesties for 12. I ended up buying a 2nd hand Big Shot for 28, I have ordered a few dies.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Oct 21 2009 01:02 AM

Quote:

I ended up buying a ..., I have ordered a few ....

You, lady, are totally incorrigible!

(Though I have to admit you got a good price for the big shot, even if you don't need it )
Posted by: lady1

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Oct 21 2009 06:35 AM

Perhaps they should supply a list of items you will need when you sign up. Sounds like a good excuse to sell you more 'stuff'.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Oct 21 2009 06:48 AM

I borrowed some things from women at the same table but felt guilty after a few bits. In future I will know what to take and for good measure I have ordered a nice wheelable craft tote to take it in, not from them.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Nov 01 2009 11:26 AM

I went to a 'workshop' on Saturday afternoon. This time I took some equipment only to find that they had it all this time and the object of the afternoon was to make as many cards as we wanted using the equipment which some will not have access to at home. The makings of cards were there for all to use but I found that the work space allocated to each person wasn't to my liking, plus being sandwiched between two women meant they spread partly across my already limited space and it would have seemed bitchy to push their stuff over.

I ended up just stamping so that I could so something with them when I got home. My preference is to use 'quality' card blanks and the card supplied was too flimsy for my liking. Another time I will know what to take in the way of equipment and will also know to take some of my own card blanks, just using their papers and trimmings.

Today I started a blog for my cards, anyone wanting the url can send me a PM.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Mar 03 2010 10:22 AM

I am SO excited, well I lead a sheltered life so it doesn't take much. So what, I hear you ask, has got her in a tizzy. The man who runs the local branch of the charity where I help out is today returning from America where he appears to have spend much of his time being transported to a variety of craft stores shopping for me! He has been to Archivers, Michaels, Walmart, Hobby Lobby and Target and from what I can gather he has made purchases in the lot of them! These are gifts for me, not just shopping on my behalf. I know there are paper flowers, butterflies, 'stickers' and punches so it will be better than Christmas.

I will be collecting some of it tomorrow but one of his cases is currently on a world tour, well at least it is taking the scenic route from Chicago having not got having got itself onto the BA plane after a domestic flight from Appleton. I think it is going via Washington thence to Heathrow then to Gatwick then home to Jersey.

The poor man ended up missing his Gatwick to Jersey flight as he was trying to find out what happened to his bag on arrival at Heathrow. It is times like this that it pays to be flying Business as they do look after you better than when you travel steerage.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Mar 03 2010 01:35 PM

Sounds like you are in for a fun time opening goodies, Sue! Enjoy!
Posted by: lady1

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Thu Mar 04 2010 01:34 AM

It is going to be like Christmas in March for you Sue!

*..Sounds like Sue may have an admirer...*

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Thu Mar 04 2010 12:27 PM

ohhhhhh that sounds good. You're probably like me and read on forums about what shops there are in the US and the prices in them ... sounds like a great haul!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Thu Mar 04 2010 12:39 PM

He is a very happily married man, he is also very generous. His wife knows what he has given me, she came in with her Christmas cards for me to recycle today so it really was a wonderful day.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Wed Apr 14 2010 04:18 PM

Oh my goodness, I cannot believe what I am in the middle of doing, re-organising my craft store room! This is a tiny room off my kitchen, about nine feet by five feet approximately.

Against the back wall is my sewing machine cabinet which is used as a sort of table, heaped with junk right now but intended to be a sort of craft table. Fat chance, no room. then there is a metal office cupboard, six feet high by three feet wide which meant there was dead space in the corner between the cupboard and the cabinet. Then there is an old metal filing cabinet inside the door with more dead space between that and the cupboard. I had two shelf units on the wall opposite the cupboard, each with three shelves.

Then I had a brainwave the other day, if I moved the cupboard to the garage in some dead space there and got rid of the old filing cabinet I could have shelves in their place, shelves which could go right to the far wall by the side of the cabinet. I can have forty feet of shelving plus the floor under the bottom shelf! This would replace the floor and four three foot shelves in the cupboard and I will still have the cupboard in the garage.

I have now emptied out the room to make room for the items to be removed, I have bought shelving and had it cut to size. Now I need to call in the 'hump and dump' people to move the cupboard and take the filing cabinet away then I can slap some wallpaper on the wall where the filing cabinet was, it isn't papered behind or to the side of it but I have half a roll left from that room. Then I can attack the wall with my electric drill and stick the shelves up, or get someone to do it for me.

At the moment I cannot get into my kitchen or move much in here, it is amazing what you can fit into a small room such as that.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Jul 16 2011 08:08 AM

I thought that I moved a post by mehaul but it appears to have been lost.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Jul 16 2011 06:13 PM

I had a good clean out recently. Our floorboards were being done so absolutely everything had to come out of the house inclusing the craftroom. It was so good to get rid of stuff that I hadn't used for so long and really thin out all the stuff. I just need time to use it all now!

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Fri Dec 27 2013 03:19 PM

Bumping.

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Dec 28 2013 05:20 AM

Gosh, I've been browsing these old threads that you've bumped up for us, Sue, and realized just how little crafting I do nowadays!

I did try to eliminate lots of stash that I wasn't using, and sold off some bits'n'pieces for a pittance. What a relief to see them gone and having a nice, clear space instead.

I stil have a fair stash of paper, but have reduced to at least a half of what I had before. The trouble is that I keep buying two or three sheets here, and three or four there, as it's not terribly expensive. I just need to use the stuff and that is proving difficult these days.

Oh well, in some ways it must be a good complaint as it means my time is gainfully employed elsewhere? (or else I've just become more lazy and spend more time reading or watching TV rather than playing around with paper and glue) grin
Posted by: SilverMoonsong

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sat Dec 28 2013 08:16 AM

I was just lamenting about not being more crafty myself! Since I moved into a smaller space, I haven't set up my craft area. I *really* need to do that so I can get more involved in here. smile

Re: Craft Circle - General chat - Sun Dec 29 2013 02:05 AM

*sigh* me too.
I did have a spurt just before Christmas making some presents, some papercraft, some cooking but now that's all done I am not missing it. I got some metal icebuckets given too me so I turned them into hampers with some chocolate sauce, salt scrubs, soap, card packs, cordial, lip balm and a couple other things. Looked really cool (if I do say so myself wink ) but was a lot of work. smile i have a couple more to give out so will take a photo.