Weigh-In 2012!

Posted by: SilverMoonsong

Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 04 2012 07:07 AM

I think it's time to add some life to this poor, neglected thread. smile

Did anyone make New Years' Resolutions to lose weight? Perhaps you didn't bother waiting until New Years and started before then?

Some of you know I started cycling just over a year ago, and I've been road cycling since April. I rode in an all women's charity bike ride in October, and finished the 31-mile course. It was AMAZING.

I've been going to the gym since October, going to Zumba and working with a personal trainer. Just this morning I went to my first Body Step class. Ow. smile

I also track all my calories and exercise on a free website called LoseIt.

What have YOU all been doing?
Posted by: JaneMarple

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 04 2012 01:24 PM

Perfect thread for me laugh
I'm aiming to lose a little weight in 2012 ... perhaps a stone, at most a stone and a half. Over the past two years a few pounds have slipped on, making me ten stone this week. So all the "goodies" have been stored in the shed/outhouse, and only allowing myself treats at the weekend, unless it is a special occasion, where anything goes laugh
I don't keep to a certain type of diet, it's just sensible eating and a LOT of will-power and strength of character. I don't have the time, or energy, to exercise or go to the gym unfortunately.
Wishing everyone a healthy and successful 2012! smilee

P.S. I started on the 2nd of January laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 04 2012 03:27 PM

Jane, You've been one of the most inspiring members in here. Even putting a few of the pounds back on isn't so horrible because you are aware of it and are already doing something about it.

As far as the "goodies" are concerned, I have to "earn" them. If I have a good workout, I can have a treat, whatever I decide that treat may be. It could be something sweet, or it could just be going out with friends and having a meal I wouldn't otherwise have, or perhaps an "adult beverage." On the days I don't have a workout, I don't get a treat. smile
Posted by: Copago

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 04 2012 10:13 PM

smile I agree about Jane being inspiring - when I first started my health kick I was moticated by your losses!

It's been great watching your FB posts, Silver, motivating as well smile

I'm just going to be continuing on as I have been. Just watching what I eat: I tend to go low on processed carbs and high on vegetables. I do allow myself an odd trast but like SMS I better have earnt it! laugh

and doing some kind of exercise each day: It's the middle of summer here so I'm only doing about half hour a day but when it cools down I'll start doing more. I've started doing a 5k run programme ... I did complete it before but I was really little more than jogging with it .. this time I'm trying to actually run.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Jan 05 2012 08:32 PM

Tonight was Zumba. I LOVE my Thursday night class. Then I come home to eat something quick before going to work. In the morning, I have my trainer at 10am, I will probably get an hour or two on the bike (it's supposed to be gorgeous tomorrow!), and then I have BodyStep in the afternoon at 4:45. Saturday I have BodyStep at 9am, and then I'm meeting a friend for a long bike ride. I think I need to eat more! LOL

Anyone else have plans this weekend?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Jan 05 2012 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Copago

It's been great watching your FB posts, Silver, motivating as well smile

I've started doing a 5k run programme ... I did complete it before but I was really little more than jogging with it .. this time I'm trying to actually run.

Thanks! I have an old high school buddy who has had several small heart attacks and he is supposed to be exercising. I started posting my LoseIt on FB to try and get him motivated.

I'm so NOT ready for running yet. I think in another year I might want to train for a half-triathlon. My Bucket List includes a full triathlon, so I need to work on that soon! The swimming and cycling are no sweat, it's just the running that makes me afraid. smile
Posted by: Santana2002

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Jan 06 2012 12:50 AM

I've been a little naughty and have put on a bit over the end of the year. No mysteries there: No exercise at all, a glass of wine (or two) here and there, no attention to eating balanced meals, a visit to Belgium where chips and mayonnaise, mulled wine & chocolates were the order of the day... need I say more?

This week I've started getting back into "weight loss mode", and it pays. My plan of attack is to get back doing a bit of sport (stationary bike until the weather improves *sigh*), and being more organised about my meals.

Like you guys, JaneMarple has been a total inspiration. Seeing you change and keep the weight off over such a long time made it click with me that you *really can* lose weight durably by just sticking to it, going slowly but surely, getting right back on track after a 'derailment', and that putting on a little isn't a disaster and can be reversed just by being a little disciplined.

If I can lose the 3 kilos I put back on and a further three after that, I'll be a happy little Santana.
Posted by: playmate1111

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Jan 06 2012 08:48 AM

Glad I found this thread smile I went to LoseIt today and registered. I need to lose a whole lot of weight put on when I was in the depths of depression. I'm hoping this will do the trick. Will keep you informed.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Jan 06 2012 10:50 AM

Originally Posted By: playmate1111
Glad I found this thread smile I went to LoseIt today and registered. I need to lose a whole lot of weight put on when I was in the depths of depression. I'm hoping this will do the trick. Will keep you informed.

Check out the forums over there as well. You'll find lots of folks looking for friends to help encourage them on their journey. If you want to add me, let me know and I'll send you my screen name privately.

LoseIt has been a FANTASTIC tool for me. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but I've tried other sites and this one just works best for me.
Posted by: ren33

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 14 2012 10:19 AM

Hi all, you are all inspiring . I have been looking in at LoseIt and I have a question. I dont buy much in the way of ready made, brand name foods. For example I made a fish pie from poached cod, creamed potato and cheese topping today. So I filled in Fish pie, to record my lunch. There was no fish pie listed and yesterday there was no grilled at home chicken wings either, only a list of shop bought goods and takeaways. So does this mean I have to enter all the ingredients I used to make these? I make lassi, a plain yoghurt and banana milkshake, there is no record of anything like that, only Macdonald's revolting shakes. What is the answer.? Thanks

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 14 2012 01:07 PM

I keep my 'food diary' on the Weight Watchers site, and in the case you describe, unfortunately, yes, you need to log each ingredient separately ...

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 14 2012 02:45 PM

Ren - Click on the settings tab on the toolbar, and on the left you will see a link to create recipes. You enter the ingredients and portions and it will work out the calories per serving for you. Then all you have to do is enter that when you use it again.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 14 2012 08:01 PM

Thanks. That makes sense! I will type in my banana lassi as I use it a lot.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 15 2012 01:36 AM

It will definitely make things easier for you to track. smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 15 2012 03:55 AM

Thanks Ren, I was about to ask this question too.
Posted by: postal315

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 15 2012 05:41 AM

Hi everyone! I thought I posted in here, but don't see it now.

I was holding a steady weight until a major injury caused a long imobile recovery, that backed into a hot, hot summer.

For the past year, I've gained weight and lost mobility and stamina.

I want to speak in positives and have only diabetes as a major health concern right now. Taking off as much as 50 pounds this year might get me off of insulin.

I am able to walk, not far and not fast. My dog is a a hefty 55 pounds and needs the exercise as well.

I'm going to make her my walking partner.
I'd like some advice on how slowly I should start. Seems I get really enthused, overdo, and sideline myself with a sprain or muscle spasms.

Our weather is good and I'm ready to start. Do you think 15 minutes a day for the first 5 days is too little? Increase by 5 minute increments?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 15 2012 09:26 AM

Hi postal!

Have you spoken to your doctor about how far you should walk? I don't think anyone in here wants to give you advice that would lead to you hurting yourself again. Also, is there anyone you can walk WITH (besides the pup)? Someone that can be your walking buddy, making sure you not only don't hurt yourself, but can encourage and motivate you as well.

Any advice we give you here about how far to walk will be (at best) guesswork, based on what would work for us individually. When I first started walking, I had a fantastic trail around the lake that was 2.25 miles long. It isn't a flat trail, but curves around the lake, with small, rolling hills and bridges. It would take me about 40 minutes to walk around. Would I suggest that for you? NO! But it DID work for me. The first time I got on my bike, I rode less than 4 miles, and stopped 3 times to rest! I thought I was dying! Now I ride 20-30 miles at a time. It's all about what YOU can do, not what we THINK you can do.

Definitely talk to your doctor. I think he or she will be very happy that you want to do this, and can give you the proper advice for YOU. We'll be here to cheer you on, too!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 15 2012 09:41 AM

Good advice Silvermoon! smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 16 2012 02:05 AM

Oh yes, my doctor not only approves, he insists!

I think the ticket, for me, will be starting slowly and increasing slowly.

I'm going to start this morning, MLK Monday. I'm going to walk in front of my house, where I can use my car for a chair if I need to.

Is it OK to use this forum to keep on track? I appreciate your sound advice and reply. Starting the trek in my front street means family and neighbors could assist if something happens.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 16 2012 03:58 AM

That sounds like a great plan, and yes, you can use us! That's what we're here for - support and encouragement. smile Just start slowly, and if you feel pain, you stop. It sounds like you are still having a bit of rehab, so just be careful. Don't stop just because you're tired, but DO stop if you feel pain. Are you starting with the 15 minute walk?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 16 2012 04:34 AM

postal315 , your story sounds so similar to mine, although I don't have the opportunity to go walking, with or without a dog! I found that some gentle exercise at the gym used to help with the painfulness - especailly swimming. This is a really great thread (and forum laugh ) to keep track on how you are doing, and you get a lot of encouragement too. Good luck to all!
(PS, I lost two pounds last week, the first "proper" week of my "diet". Another weigh-in tomorrow smilee )

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 16 2012 06:08 AM

Postal, Hi and welcome to this discussion! It's been a great source of encouragement to me personally, seeing how others have succeeded in chipping off the lbs and kilos little by little over time and keeping them off!!!

I think SilverMoonsong has it in a nutshell: start with what you are comfortable doing, do not make the fatal error of overdoing things at the beginning and running out of willpower because it's too tough. Slowly but surely is definitely the way to go.

Another tip which helps more than you would imagine is not to beat yourself up about the days (or weeks) when you don't stick to your plan. Just pick yourself up the following day and get right back on track. What really works is simply sticking to it and making changes that can easily be incorporated in your everyday life. If it's too difficult to maintain, chances are you'll give up.

Small goals, easily achieved, are great motivators (aim to lose 5 lbs by February 15th, for example, NOT 50 lbs by summer), whereas difficult goals make it easier for you to tell yourself that you'll never make it so better just give up and forget it. As you see yourself reaching your goals it gets the momentum going and you keep going to the next little goal. They all build up in the end, and that's what counts.

We're here to cheer you on, commiserate when necessary (we've all been there), and share in your triumphs.

I've started back again this last week and seem to have knocked off 1 of those nasty kilos which found its way back over the month of December. Onwards and upwards (or downwards on the scales, eh?).

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 16 2012 12:41 PM

Thank you to everyone, I feel so at home here.

I did start today, but not as planned. Two hours of running errands and grocery shopping. I may yet do a little something this evening, but I know baby steps is the way to go.

I do belong to a gym, but it's a half hour away and the energy needed to dress, drive there, change clothes etc. is a little too much for me right now.

I'm retired, did say? So the temptation to lounge around in a house dress and watch TV all day is what I'm fighting.

I feel I should make my health my job, as 23 years of graveyard shifts had a negative impact. Now I can work to reverse it.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 16 2012 01:21 PM

YAY Jane! Two pounds in a week is fantastic!

Santana> excellent point! Small goals easily achieved give you something to celebrate so you stay motivated.

postal> Another suggestion - find someone you can use as your workout buddy - and then hold each other accountable. If you have someone that goes to the same gym, that would be perfect. When you have to meet someone, it becomes that much more important to get up and go! Having a neighbor who can walk with you would be fantastic as well. Set up a time every day (this is where being retired will come in handy) and then, once again, hold each other accountable. Once you do that for a few weeks, it becomes a habit, and if you skip one, you'll really miss it!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 17 2012 04:33 AM

And another pound and a quarter off today, making three and a quarter pounds off since January 2nd laugh
Posted by: pitegny

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 17 2012 11:10 AM

Hi. I've visited this thread a time or two, not quite sure whether to join in the discussion or not. Like postal, I would like to drop at least 50 pounds.

I have just retired from a desk job that involved long hours and little movement. Even getting back into walking is a challenge. A couple of friends have offered to walk with me once a week, but I need to motivate myself on the other days. I also need to get into a healthier eating cycle.

Your posts are a good source of inspiration. The idea of setting a first goal of 5 pounds by 15 February seems a good one.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 17 2012 01:04 PM

Jane, you are amazing! What are you doing to lose weight?

pitegny> Welcome! Have you spoken to your doctor about starting an exercise program? I would suggest starting there, to make sure you don't hurt yourself. Walking is always a great way to start - you can walk at your own pace (as slow as you need to go), and it's free! smile Changing your eating habits is always the hardest, because we eat what we like. I hope you'll keep us updated on what you are doing and your progress.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 18 2012 09:27 AM

I have already had a preliminary discussion with my doctor and will try to check in with him over the coming months.

My big problem is that I LOVE to cook. It is one of my passions. I am now looking for ways to make creative meals that are not too heavy on either fats or carbs. Recipes are always welcome.

Checking in from time to time will be a good incentive. I'm glad I found your thread.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 18 2012 09:51 AM

Hi everyone, pitegny, I'm posting from the library. An exciting day out for me, HA.

I'm not counting pounds or inches on anything but a monthly doctor's visit. It's just too up and down in my case.

One thing I have done is speak to the other person who lives in my house, in my case my brother. He prepares most of our meals, and if he only cooks Hamburger Helper for instance, for every dinner, I'm not going to reach my goal.

I hung the gist of my plan on my diabetes. So, I can eat healthier, and portion control will be up to me.

pitegny, I'm willing to be your online exercise buddy. We can compare notes here or PM. In fact, I think comparing notes here is what this thread is all about!
When I went out for groceries Monday, I was too tired to do anything after I got home. But, even that small amount of exercise gave me a better outlook today.

So this is my Day 3.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 18 2012 11:15 AM

Pitegny, There is another free online website that has LOTS of healthy recipes, and it includes nutrition info. It's http://www.sparkpeople.com/ - you have to create an account, and you have to deal with their ads, but it's FREE. Cooking your own meals is the best way to make sure you watch your calories, fat and sodium. They have a LOT of tools you can use (meal planners and such). I personally find their website a bit 'busy', but other really like it. You can find their recipes here: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/home.asp

They have a "World Master Chef", a Licensed and Registered Dietician, and a Nutrition Expert with a degree in Dietetics on board.

Postal,

Hey, if using your diabetes as an excuse gets him to cook healthier foods, go for it! You'll get HIM eating healthier, too! YAY for your trip to the library! If, each day, you do a little bit more than you did yesterday, pretty soon you'll be zipping around the block. laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 18 2012 12:46 PM

SilverMoonsong, thanks for the recipe site. I will definitely check it out.

Postal, I would love to have an on-line exercise buddy. We can try it here and if it is too much for the other thread readers we can go PM. I am starting with baby steps this week - 15 minutes or about .75 miles today.

Having someone else cooking the meals would be hard. In my case, I cook about 80% of the meals. I am trying to eliminate the between meal snacking as a start and adding a salad to each meal. Living in France, there are not so many of the prepared meals, which helps.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 18 2012 01:43 PM

You're right down the far end of France from me, pitegny, otherwise we could have been exercise partners ...

There are some simple things that can easily be incorporated into everyday life: swap butter for a low fat spread (et 'Bridelight' in France), 0% fat yoghurts and dairy products as opposed to the full fat version, when frying food spray the oil onto the pan using a pump-pressurised oil sprayer. 50 sprays = 1 tsp, which is enough for almost everything, and way healthier than the three or four soup spoons full I would have used otherwise, Rye bread (pain de seigle) is much more filling than regular bread for the equivalent caloric value... Keep fresh fruit around always for emergency snacking, and if in dire need of a soda go for a diet version (0 calories) (unless you don't want to consume artificiel sweetners).

I always have several portions of homemade soup in the freezer. This has become my 'fast food' for those days when I really don't want to cook. It has regularly saved me from heading out for pizza or Mc Donald's just because I couldn't be bothered cooking. I add a slice or two of ham or chicken and three high-fibre crackers, follow it with a yoghurt and a spoonful of jam, and you have a well balanced meal which will keep you ticking over until the next meal time.

The key to success (for me) though really lies in getting back onto the the straight and narrow immediately after a little (or big) slip up!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 18 2012 02:01 PM

I couldn't agree more, if you have a bad day (or days!) get back on the "diet trail" as soon as possible smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 18 2012 02:58 PM

Thanks SilverMoonsong, it's not exactly a lie, and he could stand to take off a few pounds himself.

Our summer was so bad this year that for two months we sat in front of the A/c and just panted.

But now it's wonderful weather, and much too nice to sit around.

I ended up doing 4 hours of going back and forth in my car then short walks. It was not "exercise" but it did wear me out. I didn't rest on my laurals this time, I played "retrieve" with my dog for a good ten minutes when I got home to reward her for not tearing up the house while we were gone.

I'm going to be ready for my doctors visit to get a baseline weight, then I might tally along with you.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Jan 19 2012 01:08 PM

Thanks for the tips Santana and Jane. The frozen soup sounds like a good idea. I saw a recipe for baked apple rings that I am also going to try. Just apples and cinnamon.

Postal, it sounds like your dog gives you a good workout! Having an online buddy is a help. When I sign in to play a quiz it reminds me that I need to work in the physical exercise. 15 minutes of walking, .8 of mile today.

My goal is to be able to do an hour walk without killing myself by the end of the year.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 21 2012 08:04 AM

Hello all, I'm back and after my first week I have lost 1 kg, I think that is 2.2 lbs smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 21 2012 11:14 AM

Hi Playmate. Congratulations. Keep up the good work! Hopefully I'll soon be following you on the downward trend.

Yesterday was a no-exercise day for me. I waited until the end of the afternoon to walk and we had an unexpected snowfall. I love snow, but only when I am inside in front of the fire. It melted by today, so I did another 15 minute walk. Definitely baby steps, but want to ease in to it gradually.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 21 2012 01:10 PM

Hi everyone, I took a break yesterday too.
I've decided that sweeping or raking leaves would be good for the upper body. I have tons of leaves in my yard.

I think that just the moving part is important. Alternating the walking with something else will be more interesting.

So Sunday--rest day

Monday--15 min. walk

Tuesday--sweeping 15 min

Wednesday--walk

Thursday --sweep

Friday--walk

Since the duration is only 15 minutes, every day doesn't seem like too much. If I start having cramps, I plan to wait 15 minutes, then try again.

In Febuary I have a doctor's appointment
I'll tell my weight then.
I don't even own a home scale!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 21 2012 03:26 PM

That's excellent progress, Playmate, and it's about the upper end of what you should aim for on a weekly basis. 500g-1kg but no more, as it'll only leave you frustrated.

Nice schedule, Postal!

Errmm, no change for me this week, I did no exercise, and I really need to get back to it. I can't wait till the clocks change again so I can walk every evening. My stationary bike is looking daggers at me every evening, but I just can't find the motivation to pump the pedals frown

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 21 2012 03:28 PM

Oh postal, 15 mins x day x 6 days = 95 minutes of activity, that's a whole hour and 35 mins over the week, definitely not to be sniffed at!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 21 2012 06:10 PM

I've been having several days off as well, but on my way home from work on Thursday morning, I hit a deer. I'm fine, the car... not so much. She goes in to get fixed Monday morning, so I'll be missing several days next week as well. I DID go today, and got an hour of circuit training and lifting weights. I'm going to try and go again tomorrow since I have to drop the car off early Monday morning at the body shop, and they will have her for 4 days. frown

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 21 2012 11:05 PM

Poor deer and poor dear! Thank goodness you wern't hurt. I had a deer jump into my car as I drove, the window was closed, thank Goodness.
Not survivable for the deer, poor thing.

pitegny: how's your schedule going with the walking?

I may have to scale back to 10 minutes on the sweeping, seems my upper body likes to cramp more than my legs.

It helps to look at a leafless front porch, that's progress too.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 22 2012 12:32 AM

So sorry to hear about the deer. What a terrible shock that must have been. We used to have to be careful about deer crossings around here, but there has so much construction in our area that we rarely see them anymore. It is lovely that several of you still have deer where you are.

Postal: The snow day apart, I am sticking to my walking schedule - 15 minutes per day, except for Mondays. One of my friends asked me to help her improve her English. On Mondays, we do an hour of lesson, have a salad lunch and then go for a 30-minute walk at a small nearby pond that has relatively flat trails. It was frozen over this week - a lovely visual reward for my efforts. Between the schedule with my friend and checking in here, I should stay on track.

I am also getting a lot of exercise cleaning out my study. The last few years at work involved really long days, plus a one hour commute each way and often doing work-related tasks at home. Consequently, I amassed piles of paper and other stuff in my room. My family even had our own equivalent of the Richter scale for it and I had reached the top. The room is slowly re-emerging and all that bending has been another form of good exercise.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 24 2012 04:03 AM

A little slip up, as I put on a quarter of a pound this week! laugh Ah well, it should show a good weight loss this coming week!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 24 2012 06:43 AM

In my weigh-in today, I was half a pound down. Not much, but I have not yet started recording my intake or changing the content of my main meals. I cut back (not yet out) on the in-between meal snacks and got my husband to take the remaining Christmas chocolate to his office. So far I have also successfully ignored the two walnut pies he baked and has sitting in the kitchen. Fortunately they are walnut and not pecan, which have called more loudly to me.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 24 2012 11:38 AM

It sounds to me like everyone is doing well.

Great idea to count de-cluttering as exercise, pitegny. Two birds with one stone solution.

So far no sore muscles for me and only a little bit of cramping. Raining here all day, so sweeping will be my exercise. I have a wrap around porch, so plenty of leaves there also. Covered, so the rain can't get me.

I'm starting tp look forward to my doctor's appointment, just to see if the scale reflects any of my efforts.

Doesn't just doing the exercise tend to cheer a person up? Fight that flab, fight that flab, yay!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Jan 27 2012 07:18 AM

The exercising is going well, but visions of chocolate are dancing in my head. Normally I crave salty foods, but this week I keep thinking about sweet treats. I found that a few dried cranberries help and have a fruit basket on the counter. Does anyone else have any low-fat, low-carb snack ideas?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Jan 27 2012 09:57 PM

I like to keep protein shakes and bars in the house. It fixes my craving for chocolate, and replaces one of my little meals. Keeping fruit is also good. Oranges, bananas, apples, just watch out for grapes. They are great, but higher in sugars.

I got my car back from the body shop today, so I was able to go to the gym. YAY!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 28 2012 03:16 AM

Congratulations on being mobile again! You mentioned little meals. Do you have one bigger meal each day and two smaller ones? If so, is your main meal at midday or in the evening?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jan 28 2012 04:00 PM

I actually eat 5-6 times a day. I'll have 2-3 *meals* with 2-3 *snacks*. My snacks can be something as simple as a protein shake or bar, or perhaps a piece of fruit. Bananas are a perfect snack for me. Because I tend to lean towards being hypoglycemic if I'm not careful, eating more often keeps my glucose level. If I start skipping meals, my glucose drops, and that's bad.

Also, my schedule is crazy. I work overnight, so my day is opposite from most people. My breakfast is usually around 6pm-ish. So for me, a mid-day meal is around 2-3am. I eat a good meal before work, then I have one of my protein bars as a snack in the middle of my shift, and then another good meal when I get home. If I go to the gym after work, I'll eat something again when I get home, otherwise I just have a salad or protein shake. How much I eat depends on how hard I workout that day.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 30 2012 05:12 PM

Thanks for sharing SilverMoonsong. It sounds like planning for snacks might help dampen the siren call of the kitchen. Being newly retired, there are more temptations than I was used to when I worked. Living with a sportive family (I am the exception that proves the rule), all three of whom eat like horses and burn off every calorie, it is impossible to avoid having snacks around. I am looking for different ways of building up my will power. The planned snacks might help. I will definitely give it a try.

I noticed you are from North Carolina. I lived there for eleven years - Greensboro, Charlotte and Davidson. It is a beautiful state!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 30 2012 05:56 PM

SilverMoonsong, I worked overnight for 26 years. When I retired, I had a terrible problem with insomnia. I still can't sleep at night.

Being diabetic, I also have to eat something every 3 hours. A small apple, carrot, or a handful of raisins works for me. Before I got adjusted, was just eating too large of portions 5 times a day.

Once I realized that was the problem, I scaled down. I'm maintaining my weight, but it's still too high. I recently tried some of the bottled diet drinks, Boost, Ensure, they come in chocolate flavors. Some are especially for diabetics, but they are expensive. I substitute one bottle for a meal, once in awhile.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 31 2012 03:59 AM

smile This week I lost another pound, making me 9 stone 10 and a half pounds. That's 4 and a quarter pounds off in the month of January laugh I can not recommend enough to have the "goodies" stored in a basically inaccessible place, somewhere where you really WANT to get at them. Me and Mum store the "Christmas goodies" (Chocolates, biscuits, cakes etc) in the shed/outhouse. Because if they come into the house, they will be eaten a lot sooner! laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 31 2012 07:38 AM

That's great. It is really inspiring to the rest of us!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 31 2012 11:18 AM

That is a very good weight loss for only one month.

It's been hard to stay away from sweets for me, but it's a matter of health. That does make it easier.

I try to visualize the little sweet calories going into my bloodstream causing havoc and fat to block my arteries. Kind of comical, but it works for me. Suddenly that piece of cake looks like the enemy.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 02 2012 05:53 AM

Half a pound in this week's weigh in.

As you can tell, I'm still not into the diet phase. Renovation of our bathroom started this week and is proving to be quite stressful. Water from a pipe burst (the reason for the renovation) had seeped into an enclosed part of one wall, which turned out to be too badly damaged to save. When the wall came down, we discovered a large space behind it. That was a good surprise, because we have been able to rework plans to incorporate it. Unfortunately, other surprises were not so good, such as finding out that existing piping could not be used and that the contractor had failed to take into account the extra width of another new wall when determining the size of the sink we could have. We are finding creative solutions, but it is definitely hard on the nerves. Every time that the head workman says he needs to see me, I cringe. The constant jackhammer doesn't help. Add to that about 30 cm of snow in the garden and subfreezing temperatures, with the doors constantly open as the workmen move back and forth with debris and materials.

I'll confess, mid-week I broke down and had a fast food hamburger and fries as a much needed treat!

The Monday walk had to be postponed until this weekend, but otherwise the exercising is going well.
Posted by: LadyCaitriona

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 02 2012 06:14 AM

Hi all,

I have put on a LOT of weight over the past four years. I think it's a combination of getting older, quitting smoking, and going back to school. Well, not going back to school per se, but the residence forcing us to buy outrageously expensive meal plans and then keeping whatever we don't spend at the end of the year. Talk about incentive to buy loads of junk!

I joined a gym last week and I plan to go 3x per week for the first couple of months (plus my volleyball game Thursdays). After it feels more routine I'd like to step it up and go an extra day, but I think I need to work up to it. I don't want to over-exert myself right at the beginning and either injure myself or become put off by it. I REALLY want to take some of this weight off! I refuse to diet though. I don't mind if it takes me longer to shed the weight, but I don't think I have the willpower to change my lifestyle so completely all at once. I think as long as I cut out the junk and eat sensible portions and snack on healthy things, I should be fine, in the long run. smile

I'm so happy to have found this discussion! I don't have much of a support network here, with my Mom living so far away and I haven't met many girl friends in my new city yet.

Good luck to all of you!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 02 2012 09:01 AM

Hi Lady Caitriona,

I'm glad you're joining in. I think it really motivates to have a place to share the challenges and successes.

Like you, my weight moved upwards significantly these past five or six years. I spent a lot of time behind a desk - my exercise limited to moving from house to car and from the car to my office, in the same building, and back again. During the day, my only walking was to the other end of the office to consult with colleagues. I at least avoided calling or texting so that I would get some steps in. I usually worked for lunch, stopping only long enough to grab a sandwich or pasta dish in the same block. My mind was moving around the globe with my work, but body was vegetating. Not healthy! A real recipe for disaster.

I took early retirement at the end of December and my primary retirement goal is to slowly get the weight off and to get the body moving again. I am really stiff, so have to go slowly.

I think this thread could be a good source of inspiration to us all.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Feb 04 2012 07:08 AM

Depressed.
I have kept absolutely within the calories advised at Lose it. I walk briskly every day. I have lost 2 lb since Jan13th. I am fed up and about to give up yet again.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Feb 04 2012 09:32 AM

Hi LadyC! Glad to have you here smile

Pitegny> Stress is definitely a diet-killer. Having one burger and order of fries won't kill you, though.:) Just remember, exercise is good for getting rid of the stress wink

Ren> How far, or how long, do you walk? What types of food are you eating? Have you been watching your fat and sodium intake? And WHY do I not have you in my network on LoseIt? smile If I could see some of what you are doing, I might be able to give you better advice.

If anyone wants to find me on LoseIt, let me know and I'll send you my Screen name privately.

On a happy note, I've just made it over the -50 pound mark. YAY! Yesterday, while sitting around at the audition (waiting for hours), I showed my friend my passport photo (which is a little less than a year old). The changes are so amazing, I've been told it might be a good idea to get another photo done because they might not let me cross the border. grin

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Feb 04 2012 01:06 PM

Ren - 2 pounds in two weeks sounds pretty good to me. If you keep going at that rate you could drop ten pounds in a little over two months. They say that if you lose slowly, it will stay off. I dropped 18 pounds very quickly three years ago and put it all back plus some for good measure. This time I am going for permanent loss.

SilverMoonsong - congratulations on your progress. You are a real inspiration. If I can lose that amount I will be very happy. I have a subscription to Weight Watchers France on-line. It is easier to go with that because it includes many of the products I buy locally, otherwise I'd join LoseIt. It looks good.

I have started some daily dancing - fifteen to twenty minutes. Really slow pace, but it is keeping me moving and I find the music motivating. With lots of snow and ice outside and temperatures only reaching a high of -6 degrees C and lows of -14 degrees C (21 F/7F) today, it is good to have some inside exercise. I am also walking on the walker, so keeping that going as well.

It is too bad that the mental energy that goes into playing the daily FT quizzes doesn't burn more calories!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Feb 04 2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: pitegny
SilverMoonsong - congratulations on your progress. You are a real inspiration. If I can lose that amount I will be very happy. I have a subscription to Weight Watchers France on-line. It is easier to go with that because it includes many of the products I buy locally, otherwise I'd join LoseIt. It looks good.

I have started some daily dancing - fifteen to twenty minutes. Really slow pace, but it is keeping me moving and I find the music motivating. With lots of snow and ice outside and temperatures only reaching a high of -6 degrees C and lows of -14 degrees C (21 F/7F) today, it is good to have some inside exercise. I am also walking on the walker, so keeping that going as well.

It is too bad that the mental energy that goes into playing the daily FT quizzes doesn't burn more calories!

Thank you! I still have a ways to go, though. smile If the Weight-Watchers is what works for you, then by all means, use it! I tried several different things before finding LoseIt.

Dancing is fantastic! And yes, start slow, but keep moving. By the time it warms up, you'll be ready to get out and start walking. smile

If I burned more calories on FT, I'd spend more time sitting in the chair playing quizzes and less time at the gym. wink

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Feb 04 2012 02:12 PM

Rennnnn!!!! Stick it out!!! It takes about 4 weeks for your body to get used to the change in diet, and then things should start moving in the right direction. In the meantime look on it this way: 2lbs less to worry about, and the first baby step on the way to the new you!

It took me three weeks on the weight-watchers diet before the weight began to come off, and even then it was usually about 800g à week (about 1.5 lbs). However, after a year and a half, the weight that came off so slowly has stayed off! I still need to lose a bit more, but so long as I don't start putting it back on I reckon I'm still in a win-win situation!

The key is most definitely sticking to it! Take it slowly, and remember any loss at all is better than a gain, eh?

Go on, I know you can do it!!!

Sounds as if you are keeping your motivation high, pitengy! Little and often, that's a great way to go! You use a treadmill? It's gotta be better than the stationery bike! I hate mine with a vengeance and am really finding it hard to force myself to pedal away this year, though last winter I 'cycled' for 90 minutes every single day that I couldn't get out for a long walk. It works, but I so much prefer walking, and have been wondering about getting myself a treadmill. Anybody got any experience on one to convince me either way?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Feb 04 2012 05:50 PM

Santana: I like the treadmill or walker that we have now. We had a non-electric one for a long time, but I did not like or use it because it took an incredibly effort to get the thing going and to keep it going. For someone more fit, I guess that's part of the point of the exercise. For me, it was disuasive.

Some months back my family upgraded to one with an electricity-driven belt in hopes of encouraging me to be more regular. That made all the difference. I just have to hop on, push a button and walk. Now that I am retired I am actually using it. When I build up endurance, I will be able to increase the slope and resistance, but for now I am walking on a zero slope, just as I am when walking outside. I actually get in the car and drive to somewhere flat to do my walking.

The males in the family have created a workout room in the basement with weights and a bike like yours. None of them appealed to me and hence I avoided them like the plague. The treadmill is a good beginning solution for me, since I am way out of shape and as stiff as a board.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Feb 05 2012 12:40 PM

Welcome LadyC, I hope you don't mind my keyboard is very touchy, and I have to shorten some names.

I confess, it's been cold here and I haven't exercised as I outlined. Until yesterday, I was doing well on my food portions. My brother, the traitor brought in some Twizzlers for me. Not as hi cal as some things, but still un-needed extra calories.

Looking for a few bucks back on my tax return and plan to make use of my gym membership. Walking in a pool is easy on the joints and burns calories faster. Only the gas money has kept me from it.

Two days until I see my actual weight, that may scare me into fasting!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 07 2012 06:57 AM

A tiny slip up with three quarters of a pound on this week ... which is neither here or there laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 07 2012 07:37 AM

I was a pound down earlier this week, but don't think I will be tomorrow when I weigh officially. My husband came back from a business trip to Paris with a small box of chocolates for me. I looked longingly at it for a bit and told myself I would resist, but my resolve lasted all of twenty minutes. I told myself I would just taste one since he went out of his way to find some he thought I would like. Unfortunately it was delicious, so I convinced myself that just one more would not hurt. A few chocolates later, I decided it would be better to get rid of the temptation at one go, so I ate the whole box. (You didn't think I was going to throw them away!). I am stepping a lot today in hopes of making up for it, but am realistic enough to know that I undid most of the week's efforts in a single day. It is a good thing that he is also retiring, so there will be no more chocolates coming home.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 07 2012 08:11 PM

I will have my 'official' weigh in on Friday when I see my trainer. I should have the scoop on pounds and body fat lost. smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 09 2012 06:16 AM

No loss, no gain. The chocolate did indeed undo the efforts of the rest of the week. But it was tasty. The temptation is all gone and I am being wise again.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 09 2012 12:38 PM

Sometimes you just NEED to splurge a little. Then, you get back on track and realize it wasn't so bad after all. smile Just walk a little more to counter the chocolate wink

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 09 2012 01:12 PM

I agree about the splurge. I got my weigh-in, I gained a pound!

The nurse said it was water weight, don't they always say that?

But I go again on the 21st so I'll buckle down and see what I can really do. No rain, so no excuse.

There is something to be said for maintaining too. Then using a strategy.

We can do it!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Feb 10 2012 05:58 PM

So here's my quarterly update with my trainer:

When I first weighed in with her, I had already lost weight, so my body fat % won't reflect that loss.

My overall weight loss is 55.4 pounds.

Since November, I've lost 29 pounds. That's ~10 pounds a month, which is perfect for a healthy weight loss.

My Body fat%... in November, I was at 44%. Today, I came in at 36.8%, for a loss of 7.2%.

That is pretty darn awesome smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Feb 10 2012 06:01 PM

Oh, and just so you know (because it was an awesome day and I felt like I earned a treat), I had a small bag (1.5oz) of Dark Chocolate Mint M&Ms. So you see, having a sweet isn't all bad! grin

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Feb 11 2012 10:39 AM

SilverMoonsong: That is absolutely amazing! Congratulations. You are inspiring and you deserved every M&M! I bet they taste better now than they did before!

We are still freezing cold here, so outside walking isn't possible. They say we might break the freezing point sometime on Monday, but even that is pretty cold for me. I am keeping up with my indoor exercising, but it is not quite the same.

I have a cooking lesson with friends tonight at a local French restaurant which has been planned for weeks. The food will not exactly be calorie free, so I have balanced off the rest of the day with low fat yogurt and cereal.

Cooking is a passion that I am trying to channel into dishes that are lower in calories and fat. I am an avid pinner of recipes, so I can still look at the pictures of the lush desserts on my Pinterest board, but am trying to cook from my grains, vegetables and "guilty free" boards. Last night was a lemon and garlic baked chicken, which was tasty, but relatively low calorie.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Feb 11 2012 12:49 PM

I've been going to the gym for a couple of weeks now and so far I haven't missed a day. smile

According to my scale I've lost about 4 lbs., which is great! smile But the best part is how much more energy I have. I don't feel tired all the time and it's much easier to get up in the mornings.

And no, it doesn't bother me at all if you call me LadyC. I rarely use the full name myself.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Feb 12 2012 03:50 AM

The cooking lesson wasn't as detrimental as feared. Three hours of scuttling back and forth to watch the chef demonstrate, finding ingredients, whisking and stirring like mad, and then hurrying between the kitchen and the dining room to finish dishes and to serve the different courses to our invited guests had to use a ton of calories - it certainly killed my feet.

The dishes themselves were also not as calorie-laden as I had expected and were a good lesson that a little bit goes a long way. The starter mini towers of low fat fresh cheese and horseradish with cucumbers, scallions and tomatoes interspersed with smoked salmon and steamed zucchini only used one and half slices of salmon and half a zucchini between two people. The saffran risotto (cooked in low-fat broth) used only 30 g of rice per person (normally I would cook eat two to three times that amount) and the veal was in very lean, small portions. Even the dessert was only mildly naughty - sautéed apples, pears and clementines with three spoonfuls of a pistachio sabayon on top.

I really wasn't even hungry for dessert and would cheerfully have skipped it, but was leery of offending the chef. I think the pain signals from my feet were drowning out those that normally would have been whispering "another bite, another bite".

Hobbling out the door at midnight, six hours after the start of the lesson, it was good to see that I can still indulge in gourmet cooking from time-to-time, but in a body-friendly way.

It would be nice some time in the future to be able to double-wrap an apron and tie it in front like the other students. I would also love to reach the point that I can follow LadyC's excellent example and join a gym and whittle away the pounds. Walking is about all I can handle at this point, but hopefully I'll get there. I know the idea of having more energy is really attractive. It is very motivating to be able to read about the successes of everyone.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Feb 13 2012 10:12 AM

Penance for the cooking lesson meal, I headed out into the freezing weather yesterday for a 30 minute walk.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Feb 13 2012 12:33 PM

Penance for the cooking lesson meal, I headed out into the freezing weather yesterday for a 30 minute walk.

YAY! Good for you smile

I've done a good job of being proactive with regards to my treats. If I know I want to have something, I'll plan for it, and do the exercise ahead of time. It takes a while to get used to doing it that way, but once you have it turned into a habit, it becomes a very positive way to look at how you eat. Instead of doing penance for eating something, you instead 'earn' a treat. smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Feb 13 2012 01:21 PM

Some great results! I didn't expect to lose much, but I had been really watching the sweets.

Not giving up at all, I need the bost that exercise and weight loss gives me.

Anyone can shorten my user name also, I've kept the same one forever.

We're getting some drier weather, it's such a rollercoaster here in the winter.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 14 2012 03:35 AM

Exercising ahead does sound more sensible SilverMoonSong. I imagine it also serves as a deterrent. It is good advice! I'll try, but it may take a while to get into the swing of it.

Postal, keep up the good work. Winter here is also a little crazy this year. We've had almost two weeks of bitter cold. The weather service predicted a return to warmer weather yesterday, but it was still below freezing in the afternoon. We are at 600 meters, nearly 2000 ft above sea level, so it stays colder than lower down. The Bise, which is the cold north-north easterly wind, is supposed to pick up and snow is supposed to move in tonight. It is definitely not conducive to sticking my nose, much less the rest of body outside.

We are lucky to have good heating. My heart breaks when I see the reports on television of the huge numbers of people who can't afford the high heating bills and have little or no heat in their homes, plus the growing numbers of homeless on the streets and in their cars. It is really sad.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 14 2012 04:24 AM

I'm 9 stone 11 this week smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 14 2012 03:41 PM

Jane, you do an amazing job maintaining your weight loss. I hope I do as well when I get there. smile

Some good news - I just had my annual wellness exam with all my blood work.

My blood pressure was 122/80. Watching my sodium intake has been the biggest factor in bringing that down. I was never *really* high (145/90-ish), but always just enough for the doctor to say something, so this was a huge win for me.

My cholesterol is 139 (down from 148 last year). My HDL, LDL and Triglycerides are all within the 'normal' or 'optimal' range.

My glucose is normal. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family, so I've been tested since I was 12. I seem to be the one who always bucks the trend, and I usually run a little on the low side. I actually have to watch what I eat so I can keep it high enough for all the exercise I do.

The only note I had from the Doc was that my B-12 is low, so I have to go in to talk to her about possibly getting on a higher dosage vitamin or getting extra boosters of just B-12.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Feb 15 2012 12:37 PM

Congratulations Jane on maintaining. Do you work at it constantly?

I think the reason that I put back on what I lost a few years ago, in addition to the stress and lack of exercise, was that I stopped weighing myself regularly. Only going by being able to close the zipper doesn't cut it, especially with stretch jeans. My personal preference in clothes, even when I was pretty slender, was for layered sweaters and tunics. These cover a wealth of sins and make it easy to ignore the pounds slipping on. Before I knew it, I had bumped up one size, then another and another... Aiming for the top of the size chart is not the most desirable of targets.

Great exam results SilverMoonSong, especially the blood pressure. You are especially lucky to have bucked the diabetes trend. One of my nieces is struggling with this now.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 16 2012 02:48 AM

-2.2 pounds this week! A combination of watching the snacks and portions, planned exercise and going up and down the stairs incessantly because of the bathroom work! I hope to work toward an average of 1 to 1.5 pounds per week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 16 2012 05:18 AM

That's FANTASTIC!! I think your goal is absolutely attainable, and perfect for a healthy weight loss that will be easy for you to keep off. smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 16 2012 09:30 PM

Hi Everyone smile sorry for not coming in for a while ... had to go away for a month or so and it was hard to get on FT on just the ipod.
It was tricky to eat well while away - I tried most of the time but did have to have some crap here and there but the scales have only gone up a kilo or so! yay!

I've been home a few days and have been very strict on myself foodwise and already feel better .. one of the things I'm strict on is getting my 5 veg and 2 fruit a day and for me it really helps my general wellbeing.
Was also hard to regularly exercise but there was lots of walking involved which must have helped.

So back home now and eating well and doing lots of exercise .. not formal stuff but it's a busy time on the farm so there's hours of work there each day!

I probably have five kilos I'd likely to lose but in reality it'll probably be tricky to get there. My husband doesn't want me to lose any more(35kg lost) but a bit more wouldn't hurt!

Look forward to watching everyone's progress! And it doesn't always matter if the scales aren't going down .. results can be shown elsewhere .. clothes, waist measurements for example. smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Feb 19 2012 06:06 AM

Copago, it is great to have another good role model. How long did you take to lose the 35 kg?

Between a bad cold I came down with three days ago and all the dust from the bathroom work, I feel pretty rotten. When I am sick, I crave crunchy, but most crunchy foods are rich in calories and low in nutrients. I am trying to limit myself to carrots and saltine crackers with cucumber slices and balsamic vinegar, but would love to have ideas for other satisfying, crunchy snacks.

I also forgot to exercise yesterday, which must sound ridiculous. I don't have a fixed time, but generally try to do my walking at the end of the morning or early afternoon. I was busy with something, so told myself I would get to it later. Just before bedtime I realized that the day had gone by without getting on the treadmill. I did not have the heart at that point to start, so I skipped a day. Before that I'd been regular and had lengthened the sessions to 20 minutes at a go. I'll be sure to fit it in today, so that I don't skip two days in a row.

Knowing that I will be reporting in here is a positive incentive to sticking with it!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 21 2012 04:04 AM

Congratulations Jane on maintaining. Do you work at it constantly?

Yes, I've been working at it constantly for almost 9 years now laugh
9 years ago I was verging on 14 stone (probably more!) and had absolutely no quality of life at all. My wake-up call was when I was told that I was going to have fully-blown diabetes if I didn't change my eating habits quickly. I chose cutting back on goodies, over injections every day - best decision ever, with the support of all my Funtrivia friends and my wonderful parents smile
I'm just under 9 stone 11 pounds today, losing a quarter of a pound smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 21 2012 04:49 AM

I took about a year to lose it but the last 5kg were pretty slow - I wouldn't even call it a plateau .. I had just found my level.

Would a muesli count as a crunchy snack?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 21 2012 09:53 AM

Jane, nine years is a remarkable achievement! You must be really proud. I went part of the way down some time back and kept it off for a couple of years, but things got stressful at work and I let it lapse. Now I have about 5 kgs more than when I started down last time. When I make it this time, maintenance will definitely be a long-time commitment.

One of life's quirks is that the pounds slide on with so little effort for me, but I have a son who looks like he would blow away. My husband and other son are also on the light side. Perhaps they are secretly offloading their extra calories to me while I sleep?

Copago, I am encouraged that you were able to lose that much in such a short period. I thought it would take much longer. If I can be anywhere near that achievement a year from now, I will be pleased.

Muesli sounds like a good idea for crunchy. I had not thought of that. Someone on the Pinterest website posted a recipe for a no-butter pizza-flavored popcorn that I also thought sounded good. I will definitely give them both a try. Any and all tips are always welcome. I'm still at the stage where I am craving something between meals. I'm trying to ensure that the snacks I do eat are reasonable ones.

Postal, how is your walking going? We are much warmer now, which makes moving around easier, so I am getting one walk in each day. It is not far, but even with that I am starting to feel a small difference, especially in my knees which had gotten pretty stiff from perpetual sitting.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 23 2012 12:10 AM

I'm pleased to report that I was down another 1.2 kg or 2.6 pounds - the latter sounds better.

I'm improving my portions and food choices and weighing the food definitely helps. I'm still eating what the rest of my family eats for the main meal only less of it, especially the carbs. The bathroom remodel from hell continued to work on my psyche, which notched up the cravings, but when that happened, I tried to walk before eating anything. Except for one day, I kept to the exercise schedule, so it was a good week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Feb 23 2012 04:28 PM

Oh WOW! Losing 2.6 pounds is fantastic! Are you also watching how many calories you eat in a day?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Feb 24 2012 02:49 AM

I'm not counting calories; I'm using the WeightWatchers on-line point system. That helps guide my eating in the right direction. It also gives some me flexibility in terms of extra points during the week that can be used for special meals. I'm mainly focusing on changing my two smaller meals and snacks. What I ate at night was already pretty healthy. My problems were the sandwich or pasta lunches eaten hastily at work, the portions and the between meal snacking. If I can stay somewhere in the 1 to 2 pound loss per week, I think I might be able to stick with it.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 28 2012 10:53 AM

Hi everybody! Please excuse me not posting, I had blood drawn at my doctor's and the nurse was sick and I caught it.

Somethin like the flu, but no runny nose or coughing. I had bad headaches and a sore throat. But what really worried me was I was so weak. If I went down the hall to the restroom, I would be out of breath. I mean to the point where I was panting. I had no interest in FT or TV, or antthing.

The good part is, due to this and watching my portions, I've lost 10 pounds! The exercise ect. I was doing that didn't show up, has finally shown itself on the scale.

BTW: When I went to the doctor a week after my blood tests, everything was fine. Just a virus that has to run it's course. My bloodwork was good, better than it has been. Could portion control have something to do with that? I think yes!

Now that I'm almost well again, I will resume my walking. Hopefully, I'll get a good result on the scale again!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 28 2012 01:00 PM

Sorry to hear you were ill Postal, but at least there was the silver lining of the weight loss. A good jump start! Congratulations. Walking and small portions are definitely a good strategy.

I am learning to say no to temptations. I went to lunch with a friend yesterday and managed not to order the chocolate crème brûlée that was calling out to me from the dessert menu. I stuck to a portion of cheese, as I had not had any milk products. Someone I know from Turkey was also in town this weekend and brought me a box of Turkish delight - pure sugar. I took one tiny taste and passed the box on to my husband.

It is nice to be working on this together!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 01 2012 01:27 AM

The good news is that I was 1.4 kg or 3 lbs down at the weigh-in today, a little more than the goal for the week.

The bad news is that I forgot to walk yesterday. The day was so hectic, I didn't think of it until I was going to bed. I suppose that missing once in the week isn't too bad as long as it stays that way. I was thinking of adding a second walk to the day. Maybe that way I'll get remember at least one of them. I wonder if I'll lose all the weight only to find that my memory has gone with it.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 01 2012 02:35 AM

Congrats on your loss, Pitegny! Great result!!

A day off now and then won't hurt .. but like you said, so long as it doesn't keep happening smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 01 2012 04:00 AM

I've hit a plateau, so I'm slogging along waiting for it to break. smile It's good to read all of your good news!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 01 2012 11:15 AM

Thank you for the sympathy, I'm still getting flash fevers and decreased appetite.

Something has settled in my hip joints, so no walking for me right now. I've substituted a TV show for people who are wheelchair bound called "Sit & Be Fit", exercises the upper body and gets the heart rate up and the blood flowing. I don't plan on having to do this for long, my dog would much rather I got off the couch.

When I'm able to really work out, not just walk, I'll do alternate days. But that's for 45 minutes to an hour of strong cardio. It's best to rest a day in between. Nowhere close to that as yet.

Those plateaus are really deflating. Just have to push through and know that the scale will show improvement eventually.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 01 2012 11:51 PM

With the plateaus I just figure that so long as you're eating well and moving about then you know you're doing good things for your body and eventually it'll come around! laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Mar 03 2012 01:55 AM

I feel like I'm starting on a very long journey carrying with me tons of unnecessary baggage accumulated over the years. I don't mean the surcharge of pounds/kilos (though there are plenty of those), but all the really bad eating habits I have acquired through my life. I did not have a lot of snacks, soft drinks or sweets growing up, but started developing bad eating habits when I hit university. The combination of really awful cafeteria food and all too accessible vending machines in my student residence was lethal. I didn't pick up pounds then, but I did acquire food habits that I have carried with me since. Shedding these will definitely play a large role in meeting my weight goals.

One of the things I am ditching, or at least severely limiting,is diet soda. While it does not have very many calories, I am noticing that it tends to increase my cravings for other snacky foods. I am replacing it with flavoured waters that I make myself with a squeeze of lemon, lime or other fruit juices.

Do any of you have special drinks, foods or tricks that helped you along the way with your weight loss?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Mar 06 2012 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: JaneMarple

I'm just under 9 stone 11 pounds today, losing a quarter of a pound smile

Not posted for two weeks, but had Mum's birthday - and no-one is allowed to limit there eating over birthdays! laugh So today, I'm back at 9 stone and 12 and a half pounds - a pound and a half gain from a week of picking smile So back on the "diet wagon" today! (And in the "old days" it would have been a lot more than a pound and a half! laugh )
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Mar 07 2012 01:59 PM

I've been watching myself, and on January 1, I was 21 stone (just for everyone to have to do math unless you are from UK wink). I've been on a slow go, but slow and steady wins the race, and have lost 10½ pounds since then. I looked up something to tell me what my numbers were and set a goal of about 12% under that. I've also cut my sweets way down (doesn't mean I don't still have them though!), and am hoping to drop another 3 stone by year end, which would get me to 18 stone by then. If I can exercise a bit more as well, it might drop slightly faster, but don't want to too fast!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Mar 07 2012 02:21 PM

Hi dg_dave! It is great to have you in the thread! Although I had been thinking about doing something about my excess pounds for quite a while, being part of this thread is what really helped to get me going in the right direction. Your approach sounds like a good one. I have been starting slowly myself, but can already see changes in my eating choices, which is essential if I hope to lose all the weight and keep it off in the long run. I also think you are really smart to keep some of the sweets. I think cutting them all out would make them even more desirable.

Good luck with your goals. I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Mar 07 2012 02:34 PM

The way I was looking, the goal I have set is about what I should eat at 16 stone (my final goal is to get to about 15-15½ stone - or 210-217 pounds), so as long as I can maintain that caloric intake (and I get just under it most days smilee), then I should have no problems getting to that number eventually.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Mar 07 2012 08:25 PM

Slow and steady wins the race, Dg.

If you eat well and move more then you can't go wrong. Go for as unprocessed foods as possible!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Mar 07 2012 11:08 PM

Down 1 kilo/2.2 pounds at this week's weigh-in, which really pleases me. Friends from the USA who are travelling in France asked us to join them in the Champagne region for three days. Between a little winetasting and a couple of gourmet meals, I wondered whether I would be undoing my recent losses in one go.

Knowing that the evening meal would be heavier than usual, I made sure that the other two meals were very light. It was a challenge to stick to my carb free eggs and fruit when facing the killer breakfast buffets filled with croissants and other tempting breads and pastries, but I managed. In the evenings, I chose fish dishes and enjoyed them, sauces and all, but did not try to finish every bite as I would have in the past. I ate about half of each dish and then passed the rest to my husband who was very willing to assist. I also limited myself to one dessert in the three days. One of the nights we opted for walking to the restaurant. There and back gave me 40 minutes of exercice and helped to offset the extra calories. In the past, the five hour drive to the Champagne region would have seen me hopping out at the first gas stop to purchase an armload full of cookies and chips for the road. This time I brought along my dried cranberries and stuck to water, except for one mini Pringles chips container I shared with my husband on the way back.

I am walking daily and am up to 30 minutes on the treadmill at a time. I am also trying to push away my plate when my stomach is full. This is not easy, because for a long time I have been eating when stressed or bored or simply because I love the way different foods taste. Knowing when to stop is not easy. If there is still food on the plate, I am tempted to eat it.

There is still a long, long way to go, but I am happy to be on a downward trend.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Mar 10 2012 07:42 AM

pitegny> Everything you are doing is awesome smile It's HARD being able to say no, but if you continue doing that, it gets easier. Eventually, you'll find it hard to say yes. You just have to learn all new habits! Excellent job on your walking!

I just wanted to say, if there's anyone who wants to share my Facebook, I have it connected to my LoseIt, and you can see my progress on there. It posts my exercises and weight loss, when I post it on LoseIt.

Dave> Welcome!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Mar 10 2012 09:28 AM

Thanks for the encouragement SilverMoonsong. I am definitely still in the hard phase! I am not saying no to everything, but trying to balance. I'd love to see your exercises. I don't access my Facebook page regularly, but will send you my info via PM.

Yesterday one of my sons was going out for a hamburger and asked if I wanted something. I thought about saying no and then opted for getting one with a diet drink and made that my dinner. I had had a salad lunch, so there was room in the points. I figure if this is going to be a life change, I will need to learn to make these kind of compromises on a daily basis.

It is a good thing that looking at food doesn't add calories, because one of my passions is food blogs and pinning. Ironically, looking at the different dishes actually makes me a little less hungry, because I focus on how the dishes are put together. I am also building what I call my "guiltless" board.

Postal - Are you feeling any better? How is your sitting exercise programme going? Anything in the knees is really painful, I know. Since I have been walking more regularly and drinking a lot of water, the pain in my knees is greatly reduced. One younger woman I know here, who is very sportive, developed a problem in her knees several years ago that was making it difficult for her to walk. She started drinking 3 litres of water and found that the pain went away. I would definitely get a lot of exercise going back and forth to the bathroom if I drank that much, but she swears by it.

Dave, how is your week going? What kind of exercise program are you trying to work on?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Mar 11 2012 09:18 AM

Dave, how is your week going?

Another Sunday, and another 1.5 pounds off this week. Two more pounds and I'll be at 1 stone off, or a total of 20.

What kind of exercise program are you trying to work on?

Mine is rather simple. Now, there are some videos and books at Barnes and Noble that I am interested in getting, so while I am there (since there is one at Stonebriar Mall), I will walk it across both floors. I used to once a week, and now working toward three times a week. I think it's about 1.1 miles to walk both floors.

There is a pedometer/exercise tally doohickey at Brookstone that I'd love to get, but I'll wait until the price comes down. It's currently marked at $100. frown

Kelly, thanks for the welcome as well. smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Mar 12 2012 05:36 PM

I spoke with my trainer today. Since I'm *still* stuck on this plateau, she's going to switch up my routine on Friday when I see her. Hopefully that will shake things up enough to get the scale moving again.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Mar 13 2012 04:12 AM

So today, I'm back at 9 stone and 12 and a half pounds - a pound and a half gain from a week of picking smile So back on the "diet wagon" today! (And in the "old days" it would have been a lot more than a pound and a half! laugh )

So after trying my best all week, I lost two pounds this week! grin That makes me 9 stone and 10 and a half pounds, the same weight I was at the end of January smilee

I have a added incentive to lose a little more weight now, because me and Mum are going on a two day break to London (and visiting the Harry Potter tour .... yay!) in eight weeks. If I could lose about half a stone in time for the break, I'd be over the moon! smilee smilee

(However, it is Mother's Day this weekend, so could be a "picky" weekend! tongue )

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Mar 13 2012 01:27 PM

Dave, mall walking sounds like a good way to go. Walking is definitely my exercise of choice for now and probably for many months to come. I am walking 30 minutes every day and am starting to notice a difference in my stamina. Now instead of driving to my friend's hous when we meet, I walk there. I am not yet up to the return trip because it is up a steep hill. I'll know I am getting there when I can do the round trip.

SilverMoonsong, I hope your change of routine will work. Is this the first plateau you have hit since starting to lose your weight?

Jane, congratulations on your latest loss. The London trip is definitely a good incentive. The Harry Potter tour sounds like fun. I am a big fan of both the books and films. I am an avid reader and very eclectic in my choice, this includes most fantasy and science fiction.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Mar 13 2012 01:33 PM

Pitegny> This is the first *major* plateau. I've had smaller ones where I would get stuck for a week and then start losing again. I've been stuck for almost a month now! The good news is I'm not gaining, but the bad news is I'm not losing.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Mar 13 2012 09:32 PM

I've stayed the same weight for months I guess .. I wouldn't call it a plateau at such, I think I just found my level. it is the higher end of the healthy weight range for me but it wouldn't hurtme to lose a bit more. I'll get around to it. I eat healthy stuff and I exercise around an hour 5-6 times a week so I'm not worried. smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 15 2012 04:54 AM

1.4 kilos or 3 pounds down this week. That makes 14 pounds since the start smilee. Ironically, WeightWatchers warned me that I had lost too much. They flashed up a virtual diet speeding ticket at the weigh in, reminding me that I need to stay under 1 kilo per week. I will be working toward that in the coming days.

Thanks to both SilverMoonsong and Copago for sharing the info about plateaus. I know those lie ahead and wondered what your experiences had been. For now the pounds are coming off relatively easily because I am way out of my normal range. I imagine the closer I get to a healthy zone, the harder it will be, especially as heavy exercise is really not my thing.

I am much happier sitting at the computer or lifting pots in the kitchen than I am doing strenuous exercise. I haven't biked outside for over 20 years - roughly the time that I gave up cross-country skiing, and I have never set foot in a gym. Right now the vision of myself in exercise togs is not a pretty picture.

I walked at least 30 minutes every day this week except for one day when I only managed 15 minutes because I left it to the end of the day and did not have the heart for more. I also did one 20-minute dance session.

My exercise goal for the coming week is to increase to 40 or 45 minutes of daily walking on the treadmill or outside. Longer term, I would like to add some time on the exercise bike here at the house and then ultimately add some outdoor cycling. At the start, the latter will involve driving the bike to a flatter area because the four routes to my house all have at least one killer hill. I would like to avoid doing something that will land me in the hospital until I am at least forty pounds lighter, so tackling hills is pretty far in the future.

I feel good about where I am headed. This thread really does provide that little extra motivation that keeps me moving in the right direction.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Mar 18 2012 09:47 AM

Another week gone by, and another 2 off this week, to sit at 20 stone even. Next week will see me under 20! That's 1 full stone off since January 1. I don't want to do more than 1.5-2 pounds a week anyway, as I am not wanting to put it back on.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Mar 18 2012 11:52 PM

Congrats to you both! Really heading in teh right direction laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Mar 19 2012 01:16 PM

Great news Dave. You are definitely on track.

I'm not sure what this week's weighin will bring. I had a mini snacking binge while doing our US taxes last night. Those forms get more complicated every year and the number required seem to increase exponentially. Even having a software package to assist still makes it a frustrating experience. Towards ten o'clock, very cranky, I hit the cheddar crackers. There is something about food that soothes the soul. Today I am back on the straight and narrow, but the binge on top of being invited to dinner on Saturday, I will definitely not be getting any speeding tickets from Weightwatchers this week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Mar 19 2012 03:39 PM

I've been away for four days and home for one and then am away for another few days and I always struggle with eating well when I'm away! I do try and don't go on an all out binge but it's still hard.
So on Saturday I'll get back on track!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Mar 20 2012 05:32 AM

smile smile smile smile smile

As predicted last week, with it being Mother's Day over the weekend, a small weight gain this week ... of one pound laugh
That makes me Nine stone, eleven and half pounds this week.
(And I know that I could have put on more weight, if I hadn't cut back before Sunday laugh )

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Mar 21 2012 06:06 AM

Pfft, one measely little pound? That'll be gone before you know it Jane!

I'm sure you'll be grand, copago! Even if it's harder to manage when not at home, the good habits over the long haul on the everyday days really do keep those kilos at bay.

Dave, way to go man! that's great, and at a pace that you are likely to be able to stick to for the long term. Slow and steady definitely wins the race.

Pitegny, you've been doing great too, even if you did have a snack attack. Maybe you'll be stagnant this week, and perhaps not, sometimes the scales are indulgent if there's only a little straying from the rails, and if you keep up walking and getting active, it'll all take care of itself.

I'm struggling to get back into real diet mode, though I'm being pretty reasonable. As a result I am neither losing nor gaining any weight. With the evenings getting brighter I'll be upping the walking, and have also started nordic walking once a week with my neighbour. The first session had me snoozing on the couch for the afternoon afterwards, so it's definitely harder work than my regular hikes.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 22 2012 03:00 AM

The scales were indulgent - .5 kilos or 1.1 pounds down at this weigh-in. I feared much worse, but am glad that it is still downward. The good news is that Weightwatchers won't rap me on the knuckles for going too fast! I would like to be losing about 2 pounds per week, so will need to be better about limiting the snacks going forward. Though, this past week it was either the snacks or my sanity. Figuring out some of the stranger IRS forms was driving me nuts.

Santana, the nordic walking sounds like a real killer. I am in full admiration. The snooze afterwards is more my speed!

I am walking regularly now and only missed one day. I did not make it up to 40 minutes at a go, as I had hoped, and think that I probably need to split into two sessions of 20-20 at first.

A French woman I know who lost about 30 kilos a few years back once told me that overweight people are in effect athletes. In all our daily efforts, whether it be walking or climbing stairs, we are carrying backpack weights equivalent to our extra kilos/pounds. Unfortunately, they do not have an Olympic category for this.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 22 2012 05:51 AM

Is Thursday your weigh-in day? I like to have it at the end of the week, that way any weekend excessess can be eliminated before the following weigh-in wink

It's looking like I've had a good week, but the official verdict is tomorrow, so you'll just have to wait till then to see how I scored.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 22 2012 03:57 PM

I've signed up for Boot Camp at the gym. Oi! it starts April 2nd. This should be interesting...

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 22 2012 04:30 PM

Yes, I started keeping track on a Thursday and have kept it going that way. I have an excel table set up with all the weighins between now and the end of the year. I am doing my table, weighing in with WeightWatchers and reporting in to you all. How is that for compulsive? I figure the combination of the three should keep me on the right track, even if it wobbles a little from time to time.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 22 2012 04:32 PM

The boot camp does sound interesting, but it also sounds a little lethal! It should definitely be good for some pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 22 2012 04:36 PM

I do mine on Sundays, as that seems to be the best day to get things done (I am off on Sundays as my office is closed).

I also picked up one of those (somewhat) new Fitbit Ultra's on Tuesday. While I'll balk about the price point somewhat ($99.95), I won't balk about what it does! It will tell you not only how many steps you've walked (and it can be clipped anywhere on your person - belt, pocket, and even one's bra (for the females here)), but it will also tell you how many flights of stairs you've climbed, and number of calories burned each day. The taller the flower is, the more active you are. I haven't moved the flower to the top yet, but have had five leaves no it, so I know it goes at least that high.

The thing syncs automatically when you are close to the computer you have the software on as well, so you don't have to do a thing, plus it resets itself daily.

edit:
Thanks for the well wishes, Santana.

Pitegny, I've somewhat compulsive as well. I check out the labels on foods and add everything together. As long as I stay below my target calorie count, I'm well. I also set it to where I want a minimum number as well (which is 400 less than my target).

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Mar 23 2012 01:00 AM

As I suspected, I had a nice 'score' today: -1.7kg, leaving me at 67.6 kg. I still have a few weeks to work at getting back down to my lowest of 63kg, then a few more to eliminate before I reach my goal weight (59kg or less). I see no reason not to get there by this summer.

Being compulsive is one of the major tools towards success in the weight-loss game, I find. It keeps you focussed on your goals, and helps boost flagging motivation when going through a difficult period. While it's a pain to do, writing down everything you eat AND keeping track honestly of all activity you do really helps more than you would imagine. I love seeing my 'activity' tally rise rapidly throughout the week, and it always makes me feel determined not to undo my good work by overeating or eating the 'wrong' foods.

Your gadget sounds great, Dave, though I agree it's a bit pricey!!!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Mar 23 2012 03:41 AM

I could button jeans today that I haven't been able to close for at least three years smilee smilee smilee smilee smilee

Great work Santana! I would love to be down in your range. Hopfeully I will get there by the end of the year or sometime next year.

Dave, the gadget sounds interesting. I might try to get one when next in the USA.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Mar 25 2012 09:18 AM

No "speeding" (as pitegny puts it)...barely. Another two off this week to sit at 19 st 12 lb.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Mar 25 2012 04:08 PM

Great weigh-in! Your counter is certainly showing results.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Mar 25 2012 04:16 PM

Great weigh-in! Your counter is certainly having great results.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Mar 27 2012 08:37 AM

Backpedalling alert. The scale this morning showed that I am going up this week, not down. Not good.

My youngest son is home on a break from his studies in England, so I am fixing dishes that he likes. We only see him every three months or so and I like to spoil him. I have been tasting little bits as I cook, but what really did me in was a lemon cream chicken and potatoes dish last night. I started out being stoic with only a couple of potatoes and steamed broccoli, kept eyeing their plates, ended up with a moderate helping sauce and all. The sauce was so good that I caved and got some bread to sop it up with. The only saving grace is that when I went to have the leftovers for lunch today, one of the skinny bods in the house had finished them for a midnight snack!

I have two days to weigh-in, so am avoiding nearly all carbs, but I don't think I will make it back to where I was last week.

It is frustrating that it is so hard to have the pounds come off, but they flow on with such ease.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Mar 27 2012 11:55 AM

Great stuff, Dave!

I'm hearing you loud and clear, Pitegny! I was a little 'naughty' last weekend, so gained a little (about a pound), but have been a model little student since, have walked 6km every day (except Sunday, but I spent 4 hours ironing then instead), and even today that nasty scales has crept up another wee smidgen. It's hard not to get discouraged, but I firmly believe that loss does not happen on a daily basis, all of a sudden the scales will reflect that effort I've been making.

So let's just get the head down and keep plugging away at it, eh?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Mar 28 2012 04:02 PM

SOunds good, Santana smile

I have gotten back into my daily exercise which had fallen by the wayside with so many trips away and what not! There's lots of varied things I can do but my favourite at the moment is kayaking. With the recent floods it has left us with a big swamp at our side fence and I can get in there and paddle away for an hour.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 29 2012 04:41 AM

Two days of really being ultra good balanced off the first part of the week and kept this week a no loss, no gain, exactly where I was a week ago. I feared worse.

Tonight I am preparing cold appetizers for my husband's retirement buffet (his workplace is very strange in that the departing person gives a reception for his colleagues and not the other way around). I picked lots of vegetable-based recipes that will give it a colourful spring look and not wreck my weight efforts as I taste.

Santana, the 6km per day sounds both impressive and daunting, but I have to say the 4 hours of iron sounds like more work.

Copago, while the flooding sounds terrible, the kayaking sounds like a lovely form of exercise. When I was a graduate student in Oregon, I did quite a bit of whitewater rafting, but never tried kayaking. If I can lose my weight, it is something I might give a go. My husband still rafts and did some sea kayaking this past summer in the San Juan Islands. I would like to reach the point that I can do a few more things like that with him now that we will both be retired.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Mar 29 2012 04:11 PM

I'm off to the beach this weekend, and I have no idea how bad I'll be. grin See you when I get back!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Apr 01 2012 09:38 AM

Another week, and another 1.5 lbs. off this week, putting me at 19 st 10.5 lbs. I'm hoping for 19 st by June 1.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Apr 01 2012 10:46 AM

Excellent Dave - a good example. I hope to join you again this week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Apr 02 2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: dg_dave
The taller the flower is, the more active you are. I haven't moved the flower to the top yet, but have had five leaves no it, so I know it goes at least that high.

Update on the flower: I found out it goes as high as 11 leaves, and got it to 8 yesterday playing the Wii. I've hit 7 on it quite a few times.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Apr 03 2012 02:51 AM

smile After two weeks, I've lost a quarter of a pound, which makes me 9 stone and 11 and a quarter pounds. I admit that I've been picking this past week (with the beautiful weather!) and seeming it is Easter weekend, more picking this weekend laugh But I plan to try my best until Saturday/Sunday then jump back on the "diet wagon" on Tuesday! smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Apr 04 2012 02:41 AM

Dave, it is lovely that your flowers are blooming so nicely! Jane, enjoy the Easter goodies!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Apr 04 2012 06:49 AM

Good job, everyone! I'm still recuperating from the weekend at the beach. Oi. And I had Boot Camp this morning. Hopefully I'll start to see some movement on the scale in the next week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Apr 04 2012 10:16 AM

You survived! How was Boot Camp?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Apr 04 2012 02:02 PM

It wasn't *too* horrible this morning. We started at 6am, did a 5 minute jog, then we broke into 6 stations with a different exercise at each station. We performed that exercise for 1 minute, then rotated to the next station. It was lunges, backward lunges, squats, mountain climber, jumping from one line to another, and running between two lines about 25 feet apart (run to the line and touch it, then back to the first line and touch it, etc). Then we did another 5 minute jog and another round of exercises. One more 5 minute jog, then we had to do 90 second rotations on each exercise. Then a 3 minute jog, 3 minutes of crunches, then stretching.

I'm not as sore as I thought I would be. smile

Friday morning, she said we will do upper body and core. Oh yay.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Apr 05 2012 02:23 AM

SilverMoonsong, it sounds painful, especially the crunches, but hopefully it will be effective!

At the weigh in today I was down, but only a little - .3 kg/.66 pounds. It is not a lot, but at least it is in the right direction.

I was fortunate not to gain, as I meandered pretty far off the path this week. For starters, I munched on the leftover veggies and dips from Bill's reception. The veggie part was good, but the dips were far from low calorie. Plus, I was invited out to eat twice and the other nights we did not eat dinner until nearly 22.00. While he has officially retired, Bill has been working really late each evening cleaning out his office, much of which seems to be finding a new home here at the house. It is our one meal together in the day, so I waited to eat with him. Again, not a good diet technique.

What I am seeing is improvement in my breathing when I walk. I made it all the way up the hill to our house in one go, whereas before I was having to stop a few times to avoid cardiac arrest. These little signs are very encouraging.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Apr 05 2012 02:59 AM

SilverMoonsong, it sounds painful, especially the crunches, but hopefully it will be effective!

What I am seeing is improvement in my breathing when I walk. I made it all the way up the hill to our house in one go, whereas before I was having to stop a few times to avoid cardiac arrest. These little signs are very encouraging.

Crunches are holy terror, as were the 'mountain climbing' exercise, which we did by getting down on the tennis court in a push-up position, and moving our legs as if we were climbing. I'd rather do an extra 2 minutes of squats!

Improvement in breathing is fantastic! That's what we call a "Non-scale victory." Getting into a smaller size clothes is another NSV. smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Apr 05 2012 11:53 PM

The easier breathing is showing you're getting healthier, Pitegny!

I love the idea of boot camp. I wish there was one near here that I could go to! But I kind of make up my own and do things like you mention but I just know I would put a lot more into it if there were other people and a trainer.
Might have to steal your workout up there Silver!

Still doing some kayaking on warmer days and I try to walk most days with other bits in between for variety. No movement on the scales. I will have to start *gasp* eating less if I'm going to see anything there I think! laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Apr 06 2012 06:12 AM

I was really frustrated this morning. A pair of jeans, which had been fitting well even before I began the diet, felt tight around the waist as I was moving around the house. I couldn't figure it out. My weight had dropped a little further this morning, so they should have been looser, not tighter. Then I looked down and saw where they were riding. They weren't up around my waist, but had slipped down (crawled or inched their way down is probably more accurate) and were riding a little lower down toward my hips, which are significantly wider. This means I am starting to see some loss in the waist, which is very encouraging. Every tiny little bit helps!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Apr 06 2012 11:59 AM

Copago> Steal away! Today's workout was harder. Imagine that!

Pitegny> It's those non-scale victories that keep you moving towards the pounds lost victories smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Apr 06 2012 07:27 PM

Stolen! And just finished lol smile I did it inside though so did the 'jogs' on the elliptical machine and the running 25m exercise I did as a weight lifting one and afterwards I did a 3km walk. So thanks smile

I have probably mentioned it before but there is a Nike exercise app for smartphones that is really good and I guess it does similar kinds of things to your boot camp circuit.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Apr 07 2012 06:50 AM

I should tell you about Friday's Boot Camp circuit... I'm STILL sore!

We still did the 5 minute jog around the tennis court, then we had the 6 stations, but they were

1. Burpees (start from a standing position, put your hands on the ground, then put your feet out behind you, like in a push-up position, then bring the feet back in, and then stand, and repeat as quickly as possible)

2. Reverse push-ups from a sitting position on a bench (start from a sitting position, keeping your hands behind you on the edge of the bench, legs can be straight out in front or bent, move your butt off the seat and do push-ups using the bench)

3. Ice skater (using the lines on the tennis court, jump sideways between the lines, as if you were skating - jump to the right and bring the left foot slightly behind you, right arm extended out, left arm crossed over your middle, then jump to the left and bring the right foot slightly behind you, left arm extended out and right arm crossed over your middle. Repeat as quickly as you can, as if you were ice skating)

4. Push Ups

5. Squats with a jump in between (squat, and as you come out of the squat, propel yourself up, jumping as high as you can, and repeat)

6. Planks (in a push-up position, hold your body as straight as you can, as if you were a board/plank. if you can't hold it up on your toes, you can go to your knees, still keeping your arms stiff, but raise your toes off the ground so you are resting on your knees and using your abs to keep your body stiff)

Our second round of jogging was a little different - we had to run from one side of the tennis court to the other side, and bring our feet up to kick our butt. On the way back, we had to skip. We did that, back and forth, for 5 minutes.

Then round 2 of the torture... I mean stations!

Our third round of jogging was done by skipping sideways, back and forth across the tennis court. Going in one direction, you lead with the right foot, and then going back in the other direction, you lead with the left foot, so both sides get a workout. We did that for 5 minutes.

Then we had round 3, and 90 seconds at each station instead of 60 seconds. Oi!

Finally, a 3 minute jog to cool down, and then stretching.

No wonder I'm still sore...

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Apr 07 2012 06:53 AM

Postal hasn't been online in over a month. Does anyone know how to get in touch?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Apr 07 2012 03:52 PM

When we exchanged a few messages via FT private mail, she said the only place she can read the forum messages is at the library. If she is still having the walking problems, she may not be able to get there. She did not answer my last message. I was also wondering how she is doing.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Apr 08 2012 09:09 AM

Same result as last week, losing another 1½ pounds this week, for a total of 20. I feel a plateau coming soon! Now at 19 stone 9 pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Apr 08 2012 11:51 AM

So sorry my weight watching buddies!

I turned out to be very much sicker than I thought I was. March 7-14 I was in hospital. My diabetes was out of control due to not being able to take my medications. I had to have IV fluids, and all sorts of things.

Just got cleared from my doctor Friday. Not the way to do it, but I lost 14 pounds.

I know now if I can't ingest my meds for more than one day, I need to call my doctor right away.

I have to take a slow recovery. Moderate exercise. This virus has been sweeping through our neighborhood. Because I have a depressed immune system, I was sicker than most.

I can't drop a note in forums unless I'm in the library, but I can on the regular board.
I have a very simple internet player, very limited.

Anyway, thanks for not forgeting me, I'll try to chime in more often.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Apr 08 2012 12:36 PM

Hi Postal - Sorry to hear that you were so ill, but glad that you are getting better. Fourteen pounds down is great, but what a hard way to do it! I hope that things will settle down a bit more. It is nice to have you back.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Apr 08 2012 12:37 PM

Same result as last week, losing another 1½ pounds this week, for a total of 20. I feel a plateau coming soon! Now at 19 stone 9 pounds.

The 1½ pound rate per week sounds good to me. Keep up the good work.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Apr 08 2012 02:40 PM

Good to see you back, postal! We get worried when we don't see someone regular for a while. smile Glad you're feeling better.

Dave> I agree with pitegny, 1.5 pounds is a perfect average for losing each week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Apr 10 2012 02:43 AM

Well I was expecting a weight gain this week, after enjoying myself on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with chocolate etc. But I was pleasantly surprised to find I am Nine Stone 11 and a half pounds , a gain of a quarter of a pound this week! grin I think the secret to my success this week is being really good from Tuesday to Friday, then immediately getting on the "diet wagon" yesterday. laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Apr 10 2012 04:48 AM

Excellent news Jane. I hope to follow suit.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Apr 13 2012 07:13 AM

The Easter bunny chocolate was not good - plus .6 kilos - over a pound up. I will have to start back again seriously this week for sure. Between the final bathroom renovations and US taxes I have not been walking every day, which also doesn't help. I hope to have better news next week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Apr 13 2012 11:37 AM

we did not eat dinner until nearly 22.00. It is our one meal together in the day, so I waited to eat with him. Again, not a good diet technique.

There are at least two nights a week I don't eat until about 20:15, but I don't push it past that. Those are the two nights I walk the mall...Tuesday and Thursday.

I have had a couple of customers notice that I've lost some weight, and it makes me feel good to hear it.

We'll see what happens on Sunday!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Apr 15 2012 08:09 AM

I guess using pitegny's Weight Watchers terms, I "sped" this week by the smallest of margins, by losing 2½ pounds this week, and am now 19 stone, 6½ pounds. I'm hoping this doesn't slow my progress though, and I start climbing again... frown

Since I had to have some maintenance done on my car, I had to walk to get something for lunch, and I had a couple of books to sell at Half Price Books, so did that while getting the stuff done on the car (it was a 90,000 mile service interval). In the 1:00pm hour yesterday, I took almost 1200 steps in a ten minute timeframe, and that may be why I went "over" the two pound mark this week.

I'll be continuing the downward trend, but plan to "slow" it back to about 1½ next week...will see what happens!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Apr 16 2012 10:52 AM

Great work Dave! You are really sticking with it! My last few weeks have not been great. I need to refocus my attention (the speeding ticket was deadly for me).

My significant other retired two weeks ago and it is having a little bit of a negative effect on my dieting. We are eating together at both lunch and dinner and although I try to be good, I linger more over lunch and therefore eat more than I was doing before. When I was on my own, I zipped in, had my salad and headed out. I'll have to find a way to balance my eating needs and not being rude by popping up from the table when he is only part way through his meal. He has also been doing some baking and I have not resisted. Toss in a little wine with some of the meals and it is understandable why the scale is not continuing down.

I will knuckle down and try to show some progress, if not this week, then next!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Apr 20 2012 02:25 AM

Not doing the weighing this week. A young friend of mine, who worked with both myself and my husband, lost her husband suddenly, leaving three very small children. I am very sad for them and not in a mood to think about myself. I'll be back soon.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Apr 20 2012 04:38 AM

Sorry to hear that and hope you can help her in any way you can.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Apr 22 2012 06:22 AM

Another week gone by, and another drop...this time by two, to register 19 stone, 4½ pounds.

Next week's weigh in may be a challenge, so if you don't hear anything, it's because I will be on vacation and not as easy access to a scale.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Apr 24 2012 01:15 AM

Nice result Dave, keep it up!

So sorry to hear about your friend, Pitegny. frown

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Apr 24 2012 02:23 AM

I am so sorry to hear of your friend, Pitegny. Sometimes these things come along, and we realise that losing weight isn't all that important - though it is in the long run.
I've had two rather heavy weeks, eating-wise, and I've put on a pound and a half in two weeks - making me Nine stone thirteen pounds (getting closer to ten stone! frown ) so I am hoping to have a really, really good week this week. laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Apr 25 2012 08:35 AM

Since I started my weight loss, at 21 stone 5½ pounds on December 1, I am now down 2 st 2 pounds overall, for a total of 30 pounds! I don't normally do a mid-week thing, but with this being a big interval, I couldn't wait until Sunday. I just hope I can keep it down while on vacation starting Friday.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Apr 27 2012 05:06 AM

Back again. The last ten days have been emotionally draining. The life of my young friend was torn to pieces in a heartbeat. She has three young children under the age of five. Her husband, who we also knew well, died while on a business trip to Tanzania. Handling formalities from a distance was incredibly difficult for her. Fortunately she has a strong network of friends here, and their family members have been arriving from around the world. Each of us has been trying to help in small ways, spending time with her, preparing food, doing airport runs. It has been constantly in my mind and, even having lost a sister in an accident many years ago, cannot begin to imagine what it is like for her.

I have not walked and, worse, have nibbled throughout the week on the muffins and other food we prepared for her. I am up a little - .2 of a kilo. It may be another week or so before I return to the dieting as I will be doing more baking this week for them. Cooking, baking and tasting are irrevocably linked for me. I am trying to avoid a major upswing, so that is already something.

Dave, your progress is amazing!!!! I wish you a good vacation and hope you can keep it down. I hope your week is good also Jane.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue May 01 2012 02:59 AM

I lost 1 and a quarter pounds this week, which I'm very happy with, making me nine stone eleven and three quarter pounds smile I hope to try and have another steady week, before my trip, the following weekend smile
It's good that you're trying to avoid a upswing, pitegny, it can be so hard sometimes.
Well done to all!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat May 05 2012 04:54 AM

Congratulations Jane! You are doing great. I held steady this week, no gain, no loss. I have not been very motivated these last few weeks, I need to put my mind to it again. Once the momentum is broken, it is hard to get going again.

I was out working in my herb garden today, which is good exercise. We had one of the coldest winters on record here this year and I lost a lot herbs, even a huge rosemary plant I have had for more than 15 years. I visited our local garden centre yesterday to restock herbs and ordered a few of the less usual ones on the internet. I look forward to being able to cook with the fresh herbs and flowers again.

There is still a little snow on the mountains behind us and we have not yet had what they call the Saints de Glace or Ice Saints. It is a period around 11-13 May when traditionally there is a late frost. Since the Middle Ages, people in this area have waited until after the Saints have come and gone to fill their beds with tender plants. I am tempting fate with all but the most fragile herbs.

I Dave and Jane lovely vacations.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun May 06 2012 09:38 AM

The last two weeks almost counteracted one another, as I've only dropped ½ pound in the last two weeks to sit at 19 stone 3 pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue May 08 2012 01:49 AM

The important thing is that you are still heading down. It could be that this is your body's way of saying that it needs a little time to catch up. Thirty pounds in four months is a lot, for sure. You're heading in the right direction!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue May 08 2012 04:36 AM

Only a measly quarter of a pound loss this week making me nine stone eleven and a half pounds smile I'm getting there!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue May 08 2012 06:44 AM

Anything in the right direction is great! smilee

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri May 11 2012 02:31 AM

Down .3 kilos - just a little, but in the right direction!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun May 13 2012 04:20 PM

Still in the right direction...1½ pounds since last Sunday. If I can do that again this week, I'll be an even 19 stone (19 stone 1½ pounds this week). That's a total of 32 since December 1.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue May 15 2012 02:04 AM

Well, I had a wonderful weekend, and I'd been picking all week before the weekend. And I've only put a pound on, making me Nine stone twelve and a half pounds! Although I ate what I wanted over the weekend, I also did a fair bit of walking, which probably helped the very slight gain smile I'm very happy with that!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat May 19 2012 06:40 AM

Down .4 kg - still a snail's pace, but the right direction.

Dave, you are doing great!
Jane. It sounds like you enjoyed your weekend. That is also great!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun May 20 2012 11:12 AM

Another two pounds this week to put me ½ pound under 19 stone.

Nice work on your part too, pitegny.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon May 21 2012 06:16 AM

Dave, you are really inspiring. What are you doing besides your walking?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon May 21 2012 08:36 AM

That and playing the Wii twice a week. I've also been watching total caloric intake, and limiting myself to a specific number daily. I do go over rarely, and if I do, it's less than 100 over (I've logged everything (by calorie count and type) since January 1, and if I can't find the calorie counts anywhere (including online) I don't eat it). The first few weeks were hard as it was a new thing (through December), but 4½ months later it's much easier.

Edit to add: I do have something sweet every day too!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu May 24 2012 09:34 AM

Another .3 kg down. I'm taking the slow road these days. I have had a really, really rotten virus or cold that had me in bed for a week and all my parts dragging on the floor. I have not been up to walking and have been pouring in tea with loads of lemon and honey and occasionally sugar. Not good for the calorie count, but did help the congestion. We have a weekend trip with friends to Dijon coming up that will likely set me back, but after that I hope to be more rigorous.

I would like to drop fifteen to twenty kilos by the end of the summer, so need to get on the move. Your programme sounds really good Dave.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun May 27 2012 08:43 AM

Same result as last week, and down a total of 36 pounds since December. I'm currently at 18 stone 11½ pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue May 29 2012 02:46 AM

I haven't posted for two weeks, but I've been plodding on smile Last week was a quarter of a pound loss, and this week was a full pound, making me Nine stone, eleven and a quarter pounds . laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue May 29 2012 04:41 AM

Great results Dave and Jane!

I thoroughly enjoyed a weekend of gourmet meals and wine tasting with our friends in the Burgundy region, but still hope to show some loss by the end of the week. I chose my dishes pretty carefully and walked tons. The bikers in the group did 30 km one day in hilly terrain and 54 km the next along the canals. If I could do that, the pounds would float away; however, seeing their pain at the end of the day convinced me that a snail's pace is not so bad after all.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue May 29 2012 08:53 PM

I wonder if I may go up on the drop next week. I hit the 20,000 step plateau today (currently at 20,004 and could be closer to 20,250 by bedtime). My feet hurt like you wouldn't believe, but I did it!

I was shooting for 17,500 to break my old record of 16,656, but wasn't expecting a nearly 3,400 step rise!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed May 30 2012 02:52 AM

Dave, your last message was so inspiring that I hunted back through the old messages to find the name of your counter and ordered one. I was pleasantly surprised to find it here in France. If I am anywhere near 10,000 steps per day I will be highly surprised, but having something to motivate sounds good.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed May 30 2012 05:10 AM

Final count was 20,325. Now that is a record worth breaking sometime...but it will be tough!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed May 30 2012 06:38 AM

Nice going, Dave! I'll have to pop one on and see how I go! smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Jun 01 2012 01:07 AM

Amazing record Dave!

I was only .2 kg down again this week. The slugs going after the basil in my garden are faster. Though given the gourmet weekend, it could have been worse. The fact that I love food, whether cooking, eating, reading cookbooks or collecting recipes is a major handicap. I am waiting for one of your magic counters to arrive. Hopefully that will speed things up.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jun 02 2012 11:27 AM

My counter arrived and I set it up on the computer. Now I'm ready to roll tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration. It is kind of neat to be able to track the steps and stairs.

This week is already looking better. My husband had a colon exam toward the end of last week and needed a liquid diet in advance. I prepared him a home made chicken broth and planned on eating the poached chicken and vegetables myself. It was really tasty, so I made another big batch and am substituting it for one meal per day. Our weekend trip also gave me ideas for some cold soups, which will help the dieting.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jun 02 2012 12:43 PM

Hope you enjoy your new Fitbit, pitegny. Send me a PM with your email and I can add you to a friends list on their site.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jun 03 2012 10:16 AM

No change in the drop on the week, even with that 20k+ day. I'm currently at 18 stone 9½ pounds.

If it drops the same amount next week, I will have dropped 40 pounds!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jun 05 2012 04:11 AM

Amazing - both the weight loss and the 20+k day. Having the Fitbit counting makes me realize exactly how far that is. Forty minutes of walking only got me 7,000. Keep up the good work.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Jun 08 2012 09:37 AM

I haven't checked in in months, but I'm pleased to say that I've lost about 12 lbs since I started my diet. I got really depressed when I tore one of the muscles in my leg and had to stop going to the gym because I thought that all my progress would be lost, but I've even managed to lose a couple of pounds since then! smile

It was the best at work today when my coworker commented that my weight loss is starting to really show!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Jun 08 2012 03:40 PM

That's always a nice boost, LadyC smile

Same old same old with me with weight. I have a sore knee at the moment - I really should get it checked out as it's been a good few weeks. Have been busy farmwise but want to get back into the exercise but will need to get the knee sorted.
I'm a bit worried it's somethign like arthritis as my knuckles have a similar pain. Uhoh. I'm FAR too young for that! wink

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jun 10 2012 07:28 AM

Did another 20,000 day yesterday, just exceeding it by 32 this time, but dropped another 2½ this week to sit at 18 stone 7 pounds. I've dropped 40½ total now.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jun 12 2012 02:52 AM

I enjoyed myself over the Jubilee four-day weekend, but got straight back on the "diet wagon" on the Wednesday. Extremely happy with a quarter of pound loss in two weeks (I am pretty sure I would have a gain if I hadn't started immediately smile ) making me Nine stone eleven pounds laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jun 17 2012 10:47 AM

Did yet another 20,000 day yesterday, and smoked my record of 20,325 (ended at 22,513), and dropped another 2½ this week to sit at 18 stone 4½ pounds. That's 43 off since December 1!

edit to add: I hit ten out of eleven leaves yesterday on the counter too!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jun 19 2012 02:30 PM

Dave, you are amazing! I don't know how you do it. You must walk for hours.

The first week with FitBit I managed one 7,000+ day, but other than that it was pretty slow. I didn't always remember to wear it and, as we are still sorting through our accumulated papers and clutter, I was sitting a lot. The counter made me realize just how few steps I take in a day when I don't make a special effort to walk.

Then Thursday we headed to London for a quick visit to see my son and his girlfriend. The first day of touring I hit 11,000+ steps and 27 flights of stairs. The next two days were about the same. My feet and legs were in agony, but I was pleased to see the numbers on the counter mounting up. It almost made the pain worthwhile (stress on almost). I was eager to load the results up to the website, but didn't have access to my regular computer. That's when I had the not so bright idea of downloading the counter software onto my husband's laptop so I could synch during my trip. To my dismay, it synced but only after wiping out everything in the counter's memory. I was so discouraged that I forgot to wear the counter on the last day, so none of my London walking counted.

Back home, I could hardly move today, so I was back under 2,000 steps.

I will be pleased if I can start averaging 9,000-10,000 per day, but do not see myself ever hitting 20,000 per day unless I find some miracle shoes.

I didn't weigh last week, but think that the walking at least avoided weight gain from the lovely Lebanese, Indian and Persian meals we had, not to mention a pub lunch and some fish and chips.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jun 19 2012 03:27 PM

Dave, you are amazing! I don't know how you do it. You must walk for hours.

Saturday, I went and had some maintenance done on my car, and the closest place to eat (it was about 1:15pm) is about 1.2 miles away. That adds about 2,500 steps each way, or about 5,000 total. By the time I got my car back, as I had done quite a bit of moving at work (was already over 5,000 steps by then), the counter had me over 11,000. I then went that evening (after about a 4½ hour break) and walked at Galleria Dallas. By the time I left there about 9pm, I was already over 20,000.

I will be pleased if I can start averaging 9,000-10,000 per day, but do not see myself ever hitting 20,000 per day unless I find some miracle shoes.

I remember the first time I did 20,000, my feet hurt, but this past Saturday, they were actually doing fine, and at one point, the counter had said I was at 9.6 miles, so I was determined to hit 10 miles.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jun 23 2012 02:31 AM

Down another .6 kg this week, not bad given the London meals.

I am still sitting way too much. I am doing volunteer screening for a human rights fellowship that has me sitting for really long stretches answering queries from potential candidates and dealing with problems.

FT is also a little to blame. I did the Great Race which had me at my computer for long stretches. I want to go for the endurance badge soon which means there will be almost zero walking that day. But, I wouldn't be in this chat forum if it weren't for my love of trivia.

Even a twenty minute walk doesn't get me above 3,000, so I am going to have to get more serious if I want to earn more counter leaves.

Copago, I hope your knee is better.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jun 24 2012 08:02 AM

Been a bit under the weather this week, but wasn't hit that hard until yesterday (I slept a lot in the middle of the afternoon), but dropped another 2½ this week to 18 stone 2 pounds. That's 45½ pounds since the beginning.

I didn't get my Saturday walk in, mainly because I felt so bad. I feel a lot better today, but most of the malls close at 6 (one is open until 7).

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jun 26 2012 02:25 PM

Sorry to hear you were ill.

My Fitbit experience is temporarily on hold. I was walking with it on the weekend and had not attached it properly. It fell off and I am not sure where. I keep picturing it lying abandoned and flashing "Hi LBR walk me". I don't want to buy another one until I am sure it is gone for good. We had little kids here on the weekend and it may be lurking somewhere in the grass where we were playing with them, but so far no sign of it.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jun 26 2012 02:54 PM

I enjoyed myself over the Jubilee four-day weekend, but got straight back on the "diet wagon" on the Wednesday. Extremely happy with a quarter of pound loss in two weeks (I am pretty sure I would have a gain if I hadn't started immediately smile ) making me Nine stone eleven pounds laugh

Rather disappointed as for the last two weeks I've been Nine Stone twelve and a half pounds frown And I've been really good too! Never mind, a new week ahead smile
Good luck to all with their weight loss this coming week!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jul 01 2012 09:34 AM

Maybe last Saturday's missed walk didn't help. No change this week. Hope to drop again next week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sat Jul 07 2012 03:15 AM

Sorry to be so absent. The volunteer task I have taken on is taking far more time that projected because we had nearly triple the number of applicants expected. Sign of the hard economic times. I have been glued to my computer nearly all day every day this past week screening applications. I took time out to celebrate the 4th of July with a barbecue for French friends. We even set off firecrackers, which must have had the other neighbours wondering. It was the first time in our 30+ years in France that we have done this, largely because both of us were always working on the 4th.

Down .2 kg this week. If only typing on a keyboard would absorb more calories! I am doing this about as slowly as the slugs that creep out each night to feast on my basil and other herbs.

On the positive side I am keeping off what I have lost and slowly, slowly, slowly creeping down the weight chart. At this rate, I definitely will need to live to a ripe old age to see it all come off.

The FitBit has not resurfaced, so am mulling over whether to splurge and get another.

My one other highlight this week was receiving a traffic fine in the mail for an infraction committed in Paris by a car with my licence plate number. It wasn't the same model car, mine is a Toyota, the offender a Fiat. We had to go to the police to declare the problem. It is current enough that they even have a category for false use of car identity plates. We now have to go to the office that issues plates to get new registration papers, order new plates and change the info with our insurance company. We also have to write to the national authorities to declare that the car was not mine and that I have never driven in Paris. I had heard stories about this on the news, but did not think it would happen to me.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jul 08 2012 10:13 AM

I guess I may need to change things up a bit. No change again this week. frown

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jul 10 2012 12:39 AM

Hi Dave,
Don't get discouraged! You have lost an amazing amount of weight these past six months. Hitting a few plateaus is normal. Even the Tour de France cycling race takes a few pause days.

I read an interesting article from the Mayo Clinic on diet plateaus - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152 - The first page talks about why and the second page gives tips. Although one of their suggestions is that you increase activity and I cannot imagine more than 20,000 steps in a day! What they are saying about shifting to more muscle-building activity makes a lot of sense.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jul 15 2012 10:52 AM

Didn't change my routine this past week, and dropped 2½ this week to sit at 17 st 13½ pounds. That's now 48 since the get-go, and only about 3 stone to go! I think this is the first time I've been under 18 stone since working where I do now.

Edit to add: I played the Wii yesterday, and when I was at my heaviest, I was huffing and puffing after about 10 minutes. I played 24 yesterday without a huff or a puff.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jul 16 2012 08:11 AM

Congratulations! I think the Wii experience is even more exciting than actual weight loss. It definitely shows that you are getting healthy.

I am still slugging away - down .3 last week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jul 17 2012 11:30 AM

Sigh, I seem to have hit a plateau (not a gateau laugh ) lately. I've been really, really good, and still only nine stone eleven and a quarter pounds frown It's a special little boy's birthday over the weekend, so going to have to be ultra good until Friday, enjoy myself until Sunday, then back on the "diet wagon" on Monday smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jul 22 2012 10:07 AM

Not as much of a drop, but still a drop of 1½ this week to sit at 17 st 12 pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jul 22 2012 04:52 PM

Dave, it sounds good to me! Keep up the good work. It is great that you are getting near your goal.

Jane, hope that it was a lovely birthday celebration - with a gateau!

I caved in and had ice cream for dessert three times this week. It was delicious, but the combination of that and sitting at the computer all week on my volunteer job cost me .7 kg. Funny how it goes up so much quicker than it descends. I'll try again this week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jul 29 2012 10:26 AM

Dropped another 2 this week to tip the scales at 17 st 10 pounds. The person that cuts my hair noticed that my stomach isn't near as big as it once was, but after over 50 pounds dropped now, it's not hard to notice. I am the lightest I've been in almost four years.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Aug 05 2012 10:17 AM

Another two off this week to sit at 17 st 8 pounds. I have about 2½ st to go!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Aug 07 2012 02:27 AM

My diet schedule has been a little "iffy" but finally back into gear, I'm now nine stone twelve and half pounds If I could get to about nine and a half ... or, even better, nine stone! ... for Christmas, I'd be very happy smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Aug 10 2012 03:29 PM

Great news Dave and Jane.

Sorry to be so absent. No loss or gain in my last weigh in. I have been glued to my computer between my volunteer project and planning for a kitchen makeover (After seventeen years of not touching anything in the house, we have a lot to tackle.)

I know I have to get serious again, but am finding it difficult to motivate myself these days. Hopefully I'll begin to show progress again soon.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Aug 12 2012 10:49 AM

Just one off this week to fall to 17½ st. Getting closer to my goal!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Aug 16 2012 09:07 PM

Mid-week update: broke the 55 pound loss barrier today!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Aug 20 2012 06:36 AM

Congratulations! You are amazing.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Aug 22 2012 02:34 AM

And again, another milestone date. August 22nd is always a special day for me, it marks the date that I turned my life around, and started cutting down on "goodies". Nine years ago, August 2003, I was 13 stone ... probably more! ... and my quality of life was pretty miserable with no energy. I was told I was borderline diabetes. So I changed my eating habits. Today I'm nearly 10 stone - about half a stone more than I was this time last year, but a vast improvement from nine years ago laugh I would love to lose another half stone and keep it off over the next few months, so I can enjoy December celebrations smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Aug 22 2012 10:58 AM

That is inspiring, even to a slow poke. I hope to be able to say something similar one of these days. Intellectually I know that I must, translating this into my everyday routine is another story.

Reading that you made that decision, lost the weight and managed to keep it off is a big help.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Aug 26 2012 10:38 AM

Didn't post anything last Sunday, so since my last update, I've dropped another 2½ to sit at 17 st 3½ pounds. That's a total of 58 pounds lost since December 1! I have 2¼ st to go!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Sep 03 2012 08:47 AM

Yet another week at 2½ lost. Might be under 17 st next week, since I'm at 17 st 1 pound, and have now dropped 60½ pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Sep 09 2012 04:18 PM

No change from last week, so still just over the 17 st mark. We'll see what happens next week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Sep 16 2012 11:21 AM

After a week of even-ing out, down another 2½ this week to put me at 16 st 12½ pounds. Less than 2 st to go!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Sep 23 2012 07:58 PM

I had a challenge from my boss (the office got some "el cheap-o" pedometers for a walking challenge and he put one on lol**) saying he could outwalk me on a Thursday. Since I had to get off early that day, as we had cut back on hours, by the time I got to Stonebriar at 4:45pm, I was already at almost 20,000 steps. I ended Thursday at a new record (that will probably stand for quite some time lol) of 26,392 steps, or 12.1 miles. He couldn't get close to that! I crossed the 1,000 mile level last Tuesday. I took two days under six months to do that. My next goal is to do that in fewer days.

As for the weight loss, only ½ pound this week to sit at 16 st 12 pounds. I'm at about a seven year low.

**edit to add: the pedometers we got last year were the same and that's what started me even doing anything about weight loss in the first place.
Posted by: demurechicky

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Sep 24 2012 03:39 PM

A big well done to you Dave, I admire your determination and hard work which has paid off!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Sep 30 2012 11:24 AM

Even with going a little high on Monday last week (Chili's St. Jude Donate Profits Day - ate there for both lunch and dinner to help the kids that day), I still dropped 1½ this week to sit at 16 st 10½ pounds. Now down a total of 65 pounds!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Oct 07 2012 10:59 AM

No slipups this week, and yet another 2½ this week. This week I'm at 16 st 8 pounds. I'm a mere 1½ st away from my goal now!

Am I the only one posting now? frown

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Oct 09 2012 02:36 AM

Still plodding away, and still almost ten stone. I'm still happy about that, but would love to lose another half stone smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Oct 14 2012 10:42 AM

Well, after last week's drop, I couldn't pass muster, and stayed the same...16 st 8 pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Oct 21 2012 11:27 AM

This week did what I did two weeks ago, and have now dropped 70 pounds, sitting at 16 st 5½ pounds. I'm less than 20 away from my goal!!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Oct 28 2012 02:47 PM

I have been very absent from the forum for several weeks. We have been travelling and our live has been incredibly hectic between kids and house renovations. I am starting to think that building a house from scratch would be easier. For a little while I feared that I might end up in divorce court over the kitchen counters. We did not hire someone to coordinate the work and are finding that it is not so easy to do it oneself. We have had workers not show up and others show up when not expected. The best was when they delivered and installed the new fridge and freezer in the middle of preparations for a big dinner. It did not help that the oven bit the dust a few hours later.

Dave, congratulations on your continued progress. It is truly amazing! I have not made any real efforts lately and actually added back another kilo. Things should be a little better and I hope to get back in the swing of diet and reporting.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Oct 28 2012 07:55 PM

I'm hoping to keep myself afloat this week...am on vacation in Missouri and cannot do my usual walks this week. Will have to see.

I did drop 1½ pounds this past week, to get to 16 st 4 pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Nov 11 2012 10:11 AM

Forgot to post last week, but after vacation, I went up ½ pound, but dropped 1 this week, and am now at 16 st 3½ pounds. I'm 1.25 st from goal!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Nov 11 2012 12:34 PM

I'm still hovering around the ten stone mark. This is the most difficult time for me, with the run-up to Christmas, as well as other celebrations. I'll keep on trying and start again in January laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Nov 11 2012 01:22 PM

I'm with you, Jane smile Although if I'm honest it might be a a couple pounds more.
I think I'll meet you back here in January! wink
Posted by: sue943

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Nov 12 2012 08:33 AM

I really need to lose some weight again, I got a nasty shock with my blood sugar so need to lose the weight before seeing my doctor again.

He said that I was about 80 kilos when I saw him a few weeks ago and I have lost a few pounds but I think that he took too much off for my clothes so was more than that as 80k equals 12st 8.4lb and I am about that now after losing 3 pounds. So I will declare my starting weight at 12st 8lb.
Posted by: rayven80

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Nov 12 2012 05:35 PM

I pretty much gave up any diet and exercise this year. It's been a rough one so I think I'll try again in January.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Nov 12 2012 08:36 PM

Stick with it, rayven! It was hard for me at first too, but I kept at it, and look at where I am.

I'd love to see more post here myself. JaneMarple is quite an inspiration, and the scale was my other lol.
Posted by: Tekka

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Nov 12 2012 10:41 PM

Just read through the last couple of pages here and Dave you are a real inspiration. It's great to see you encouraging each other.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Nov 18 2012 12:15 PM

Another week, and another 2½ off, even with only one walk at the mall (I made up for it walking all around the airport for three days lol).

That gets me 1 st 1 pound away from goal, as I am now at 16 st 1 pound.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Nov 25 2012 09:18 AM

Even with Thanksgiving falling this week, I still managed to lose one more, to sit at an even 16 st. Over five st off now, and only one to go!!!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Nov 25 2012 10:42 AM

I'm still trying, a shade under ten stone! My "rubbish months" are November and December, so I think I'll refocus in January smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 02 2012 11:30 AM

Another 1½ off this week to sit me at 15 st 12½ pounds. Getting ever closer to goal, and hoping to attain it by mid-February. That is 77 off now (or 5½ st)!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 09 2012 10:50 AM

Just 1 pound this week to get me to 11½ pounds away from goal...15 st 11½ pounds.
Posted by: sooz888

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 09 2012 03:43 PM

Oh I see FT really does cater for everything! I have piled on the pounds whilst quizzing these past 2 years and really must join you lot! It just remains to pluck up the courage to find the bathroom scales and declare my weight to the world of quiziland. Well, maybe tomorrow smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 09 2012 05:30 PM

Hiya Sooz, Even the small amount of accountability coming in here and telling us how you're going helps and is good motivation smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 09 2012 07:45 PM

This thread, plus a former coworker, was what got me started. I'm down 78 pounds in 53 weeks.

It's taking those small steps at first; believe me, it wasn't easy when I first started! smilee

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Dec 10 2012 03:29 AM

OK, Nothing ventured nothing lost smile 'Tis worse than I thought! 10 stones 11 1/2 pounds starting weight. Not the most auspicious time of year to start but it would be even worse come New Year? I'm most impressed by your amazing achievement dg dave! I'll read through some of the other posts later for inspiration smile Thanks to Copago too - Yes it must be better than going to WeightWatchers!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 16 2012 10:31 AM

Another one off this week, and now 15 st 10½ pounds. I should hit goal around March 1.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 23 2012 10:18 AM

Two more for a total of 81, and now 8½ pounds from goal!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Dec 24 2012 01:13 AM

Well, I've more or less removed the word "Diet" from my dictionary for December! laugh I'm a shade over ten stone - roughly a stone more I'd like to be - so I'll be jumping on the "diet wagon" immediately, on January 2nd with moderate treats smile This year, I've found it helpful to keep a "diet book" recording everything I've ate. Hoping to do the same in 2013 smile
Happy, happy Christmas to all my friends, who have supported me in this thread - and here's hoping we'll see "less" of us in 2013 laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Dec 24 2012 03:41 AM

I could have written all that word for word .. (except if I'm honest mine would have been a shade and a bit over ten stone wink )

Enjoy Christmas, everyone, and all the treats it means and we'll get back to it later!
Posted by: satguru

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Dec 24 2012 07:30 PM

Oy, I've given up. As I joined here when I was under 11 stone from a basic diet given by an expert, it's only fair to return to admit almost all has come back and without suffering won't do much else unless I creep over 12. Getting close but not yet.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Dec 25 2012 05:01 AM

Jane and Jill, I too, have slipped off the bandwagon. I'm letting the end of year celebrations pass without bothering too much, but January will see me back on the straight and narrow again.

For now, I'm off to prepare a great christmas feast, turkey and all the trimmings ...

Merry Christmas to all!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 30 2012 11:02 AM

I didn't count on Christmas Day, but cut a few off each other day to compensate (including on my birthday last Thursday), since I had no idea how many calories I'd eaten, and it paid off. I dropped another two to sit at 15 st 6½ pounds, and am now just under ½ st away from goal!!

Will go back to my "normal" numbers each day this week.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 30 2012 02:21 PM

Well I knew when I tried to join you lot in late December it was a bad time to start. Now the time has come to bite the bullet and get stuck in. Tomorrow is weigh day and the start of some serious calorie counting. Any help and encouragement would be more than welcome... I know I will have around three stones to lose..

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Dec 30 2012 05:56 PM

I started in December last year, and while I did have a couple of setbacks, I kept plodding along, and it has definitely paid off...I'm down 83 pounds since the beginning!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Dec 31 2012 04:32 AM

Yes dg dave - your story is amazing and a real inspiration - very well done! My starting weight is now 10 stones and 13 1/5 pounds.. I'm starting calorie counting and exercising regularly from today. I will record my weight here each Monday morning whatever happens.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 01 2013 04:28 AM

OK it's 2013 and I may as well make a start! laugh
Unfortunately I can't "do" exercise seeming I have limited mobility, but me and Mum find the best way is having the goodies out of the house and in the shed/outhouse. Then you have to make a effort to get them smile
Today I shall be cutting down a little, but totally focused tomorrow smile
And today, I weigh ten stone, 3 pounds and a quarter so let's see how I do over the next seven days smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 01 2013 11:47 AM

Have you thought about a Wii? You don't necessarily need a lot of mobility but can get a lot of exercise with it.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 01 2013 01:13 PM

Hi JaneMarple - I've been reading your story of success [and not such success] on this thread. I think what you say about being focused is probably the key. It IS for me anyway. The words 'I suppose I ought to diet,' are doomed to failure. Also, although I walk a fair bit, I've always found cutting down on calories far more effective than any amount of exercise. Let's both hang on in there and try to succeed this time shall we? I have at least 2 1/2 stones to lose so a hill to climb. Isn't dg dave's tale an inspiration?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 06 2013 09:43 AM

No change for me this week, so still 6½ away from goal.

Originally Posted By: sooz888
Isn't dg dave's tale an inspiration?

The scale and JaneMarple were mine.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 07 2013 04:31 AM

Phew! End of week one. It's going to be a long year smile Some progress though.. Weight 10 stones 11 lbs. A smidge over 2 lbs this week. I've walked a few miles most days and counted calories rigorously. Back next week. Wish more players would join in!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 08 2013 05:21 AM

Well after getting my head into "diet mode" on Wednesday and Thursday with treats on Friday and Saturday, and back on it on Sunday and Monday, I lost one pound this week, making me 10 stone 2 1/2 pounds which suits me fine. I keep a "foot diary", keeping track of what I've ate during the day. Hopefully I'll have two more good days before the "blow-out" weekend smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 13 2013 10:03 AM

After no change last week, I fell another 2½ this week to sit at 15 st 4 pounds. I have four pounds to go to get to goal!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 14 2013 04:05 AM

A difficult week but I lost one pound - current weight 10 stones 10 lbs. The excitement mounts, DG Dave! Do you have plans for how it will work after you achieve your goal? I know from bitter experience that that is the really tough bit, but you've certainly shown you can handle it.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 15 2013 04:37 AM

Only a quarter of a pound loss this week making me Ten pounds 2 and a quarter pounds I managed to have four "good days" this past week, so plan to try harder this week smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 15 2013 06:13 AM

Even so you had a little loss, JM, and that all counts!
I was doing great this week, until the kids insisted on me bringing them to KFC (my fault, I've been promising them a KFC meal for about 2 months, it was time to cough up the goods). I blew my whole weekly 'extra' budget of calories, and a little more besides. But I've been walking and cycling, so hopefully I'll have a little loss to report on Friday.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 15 2013 07:22 AM

Toni, here in the US, they have grilled chicken, and it is really good. Don't know if they have that in France, though.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 15 2013 12:06 PM

Thanks for the info Dave!

Um, I can't say I noticed it on the menu, but I will look again next time I go there. Hopefully not for ages, mind you grin

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 15 2013 12:09 PM

No change for me this week, so still 6½ away from goal.

Originally Posted By: sooz888
Isn't dg dave's tale an inspiration?

The scale and JaneMarple were mine.

By the way: JM, Copago and now your success, Dave, have been 90% of my motivation when it's been tough to stick to it, and for getting back to it when I slip off the bandwagon, rahther than giving up and giving in!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Jan 18 2013 02:18 PM

Yes! -1.3 kg (2.8 lbs) this week, I'm happy smile
Now I'll be more serious for the next seven days and hopefully have just as good a week.

Hope you all are keeping your motivation!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 20 2013 09:51 AM

Not as precipitous a drop this week, but still down 1½ pounds to sit 2½ from goal! Should be there in about two weeks.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 20 2013 03:15 PM

Hang in there, Dave, you've done amazingly well and I'm certainly convinced you're going to hit your goal, and probably before the full two weeks are up!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 20 2013 05:39 PM

I post every Sunday, so unless I do it next week, it will be two lol.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 21 2013 04:52 AM

Plodding on - 10stone 9lbs - another pound off. The 8 inches of snow is making walking a challenge but it's fun. Look forward to seeing you hit your target, dg dave - you must feel a tremendous sense of achievement?

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 22 2013 05:06 AM

smile smile smile
I must have worked really hard this week, a good 1 and a half pounds off making me ten stone and three quarters
Onwards and upwards!
smile smile smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 22 2013 06:36 AM

Well done JaneMarple - we are pretty well neck & neck then. I am only 5 ft 3" tall so I'm looking to lose maybe another stone and a half - we'll see.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 22 2013 12:36 PM

smile I barely make 5 foot so if I could lose about half a stone/ a stone I'd be over the moon! smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Wed Jan 23 2013 01:00 AM

Congrats to you all!

So bloody hot here that exrcise is a bit tricky. If i do any manual work I count that as exercise for the day :p Have my eating mostly on track but must work on the exercise. Once school starts again (two weeks) I will be back into a proper routine.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 27 2013 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Santana2002
I'm certainly convinced you're going to hit your goal, and probably before the full two weeks are up!

Nope, it'll be next week. I'm still down two to sit st 15 st ½ pound, so ½ pound left to goal.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Jan 27 2013 02:48 PM

Woohoo Dave, great going! You're going to bust that goal next Sunday!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 28 2013 03:35 AM

A better week for me - 10 stone 7 1/2 lbs, so 1 1/2 pounds this week. That's the fist 4 weeks done and I'm still feeling quite positive.. Hope you have a good week dg dave and wrap this thing up.. I think JaneMarple's weigh-in is tomorrow? - Good luck!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Mon Jan 28 2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Santana2002
You're going to bust that goal next Sunday!

After that, I plan to keep it about where I am at now for awhile. I'll probably post each week and want to ultimately lose about 10 more after I let my body catch up. Almost 90 pounds in 14 months is a lot to lose!!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 29 2013 11:21 AM

Rather disappointed with a quarter of a pound weight gain this week, which makes me ten stone 1 pound However, a quarter of a pound is neither here or there, it should be shifted next week laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 29 2013 03:11 PM

Sorry to hear you sound a little discouraged JaneMarple! Hope for better news next week. I took up dg dave's suggestion of buying a Wii and ordered a 2nd hand one this afternoon - Will report on it when it arrives... It sounds the business with a good range of games.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Jan 29 2013 10:30 PM

One of these days I will get that elusive 30,000 step plateau! I've broken 27,500, 28,000, 28,500, and 29,000 for the first time ever and have only seen 27,000+ twice otherwise (27,018 and 27,254 - both on a Thursday!). For a measurement, 28,558 is a half marathon of steps!

edit: ended with 29,225 steps yesterday!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Thu Jan 31 2013 11:01 PM

Well, I trumped my above post today by breaking these 500 step plateaus:

32,000 (yes, six different ones! smilee)

By the time I get to bed, I'll have walked 14.7 miles today!

Next Fitbit badge is at 35,000 steps in one day. I'll have to work on getting there at some point lol.

edit: ended at 32,265 steps, or 14.8 miles.
Posted by: nasty_liar

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Fri Feb 01 2013 08:19 AM

Wow, only just found this thread (probably because I've never been concerned about my weight before) but it seems really useful.

I looked down at my belly a week or so after Christmas and realised that although I'm generally fit and healthy and not clinically overweight I was developing a real pot-belly. Therefore for the first time in my life I've decided to really change my habits.

I've since gone from my record weight of 12 st 3 pounds down to 11 st 9 in a month.

More important than the weight (I shouldn't necessarily be losing weight) though is my waist, already fitting back into a pair of jeans that to my dismay, I couldn't get on at Christmas!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Feb 03 2013 09:58 AM

After 14 months of counting, I have reached (and surpassed) my goal weight of 15 st. grin I weighed in at 14 st 12½ pounds, for a drop of 2 this week. Now it is time to level out for awhile (91 pounds later) and stay at about where I am for a few months. I'll continue to check in weekly but may not be changing weight much now. I even raised my calorie counts each day this past week, but walking over 131,000 steps (just over 60 miles) will also cause more calories burned. Will keep my counts about what I did last week and probably walk a normal week (a normal week is about 52-55 miles). Will see what happens doing that.

Once I begin to drop again, I plan to drop only the rest of the weight above 14 st. That will get me back below 200 pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Feb 03 2013 10:22 AM

Brilliant! Unfortunately, there's been a family birthday over this weekend, so I'll see what the damage is on Tuesday smile Well done to Dave, always a achievement to reach your goal weight! smile

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Feb 03 2013 01:03 PM

Oh very well done Dave! That is a most impressive achievement - your walking goes from strength to strength too, doesn't it. That must help a lot... Over 60 miles in a week? WOW !

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Sun Feb 03 2013 03:44 PM

Congratulations, Dave, that is what I call a RESULT!
Have not been good this last two weeks, pancakes, waffles and what not, so no loss to report. I did do a 5 mile walk this morning before the rain came down, but the weather is really miserable at the moment and it gets dark early in the evenings so really finding it hard to get out every day. Another few weeks should see that situation improve. Walking every day or at least 6 times a week really really helps me to keep on track, not to mention using up those calories!

Re: Weigh-In 2012! - Tue Feb 05 2013 04:03 AM

Well, after a family party over the weekend, I was NOT expecting a loss. But I only put a half pound on, which is neither her or there, making me ten stone one and a half pounds Hoping to have a good loss this week smile

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Sun Feb 10 2013 11:50 AM

After walking 17% less this week than last week, and leaving the calorie counts even with last week, I still dropped 2 more to sit at 14 st 10½ pounds. Time to raise the counts again.

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Mon Feb 11 2013 04:32 AM

Sorry I didn't check in last week but I'm still hanging in there - another 1 and 1/2 pounds off, making me 10 stones and 6 lbs.

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Tue Feb 12 2013 10:06 AM

A bad week diet wise, I'm ten stone two and three quarter pounds frown No particular reason, but planning to get my head into diet-mode this week smile

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Sun Feb 17 2013 10:39 AM

Have to do another small uptick on the calories, as I dropped 1½ pounds this week, and am now at 14 st 9 pounds.
Posted by: bitterlyold

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Sun Feb 17 2013 11:04 PM

As a US citizen, I don't really get the "stone" thing. Didn't you all start the Industrial Revolution? I can see you stepping into the cup of a large scales and having someone add 14 pound stones.

What do you weigh? about 208? Unless you're a munchkin, that doesn't sound too bad. I need to take off about 30 pounds myself, but I'm getting older, and for some reason, old people get skinny.

I don't want to be skinny. If fried lard smothered in grease isn't on the menu, I'll pass. LOL

What I mean to say is, congratulations! You sound like you're doing great. Keep it up!

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Mon Feb 18 2013 06:20 AM

I'm in the US as well, bitterlyold, and have been using mine consistent with everyone else. A stone is indeed 14 pounds, and I am now 205. I'm 5'10" tall, so not exactly a munchkin lol.

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Mon Feb 18 2013 06:56 AM

Another pound [ 1 14th of a stone smile ] this week so down to 10 stone 5 lbs. Still a long way to go but the sun is shining and all's right with the world. btw Bitterlyold, you make 'starting the Industrial Revolution sound like an act of war, instead of a ground-breaking achievement smile
Posted by: bitterlyold

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Mon Feb 18 2013 11:53 AM

LOL dg, I meant that "stone" sounds like a stone age way of measuring something. I avoid modern scales, too. I measure in "holes" as in: I have to awl another hole in my belt to hold up my pants.

I am also 5'10" and about 225 lbs (pounds, not stones). So yeah, I need to cut back on the fried lard. Next time I'll just drizzle on the grease instead of dipping it. LOL

Carry on, friend! Send me your "fat clothes."

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Mon Feb 18 2013 12:59 PM

If you're at 225 currently, then your goal weight is 195, as is mine when I start wanting to drop again. I've been trying to stop dropping for the last three weeks, and now I'm at a point that if I drop more, I won't have any to drop later!

You don't have to post weekly, but it is what most do.

Originally Posted By: bitterlyold
Carry on, friend! Send me your "fat clothes."

The clothes I am wearing are even a bit big on me!

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Mon Feb 18 2013 07:37 PM

When I got home from work and my Fitbit synced, I earned my 2000 mile badge! It took me two days shy of six months to get the first 1000, then exactly five months to get to 2000.

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Tue Feb 19 2013 08:00 AM

Somehow I lost a quarter of a pound this week, making me ten stone 2 and a half pounds rather surprised, but pleased laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Sun Feb 24 2013 11:55 AM

Still dropping, even while raising calorie counts, which will happen again this week. Lost another 1½ to sit at 14 st 7½ pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Tue Feb 26 2013 03:49 AM

smilee I lost another half pound, making me ten stone 2 pounds this week smilee . There's another birthday over the weekend, so I plan to be good until Friday laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Sun Mar 03 2013 12:03 PM

Well, have to drop back a smidge on calories as I went up 1 to 14 st 8½ pounds. I think I've found my even-out point!

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Tue Mar 05 2013 06:40 AM

And after a heavy weekend of eating, somehow or other I maintained, still ten stone two pound laugh (And I was VERY surprised! smile ) Another heavy weekend approaching with Mother's Day, but I try to have treats twice a week instead of seven days a week laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Sun Mar 10 2013 09:16 AM

The pound I gained last week, I lost this week. Back to 14 st 7½ pounds.

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Tue Mar 12 2013 02:26 AM

And after a good Mother's Day, and various "goodies" I only gained 3 quarters of a pound, which made me VERY happy! Ten stone two and three quarter pounds suits me! laugh

Re: Weigh-In 2013! - Sun Mar 17 2013 09:37 AM

Somehow I must have cut calories, but I didn't think so. Another 1½ off to sit at 14 st 6 pounds.