The Ashes 2013

Posted by: wwe84

The Ashes 2013 - Wed Apr 24 2013 02:46 AM

With The Ashes coming up in a couple months with Australia vs England does anyone think Australia will reclaim The Ashes from England with the squad that was chosen today

This is the Australian ashes squad

1:Michael Clarke (Captain)
2:Brad Haddin (Vice Captain)
3:David Warner
4:Ed Cowan
5:Chris Rogers
6:Phillip Hughes
7:Shane Watson
8:Usman Khawaja
9:Matthew Wade
10:James Faulkner
11:Peter Siddle
12:Mitchell Starc
13:James Pattinson
14:Ryan Harris
15:Jackson Bird
16:Nathan Lyon

Brad Haddin selection puzzles me do they let both Matthew Wade & Brad Haddin play or do they leave Matthew Wade out and have Brad Haddin as keeper

They only chose one fulltime spinner in Nathan Lyon
Posted by: Copago

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Apr 24 2013 04:10 AM

I dunno, I"m not filled with a huge amount of confidence. Probably more worried about the batting line up than the bowling.

I thought Watson quit to make way for the "future"? Haddin??

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Apr 24 2013 04:12 AM

Watson only quit as vice captain
Posted by: mask100

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Apr 24 2013 08:27 AM

According to Australia's current form it is a tall order fir them at the moment to beat England but miracles can and do happen in Cricket.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Apr 25 2013 01:59 AM

Yep, knew he only quit as VC (although I have a little quiestion about him being named at all!) but the way he said it all made it sound like it was to let a younger bloke come in and be trained up for the captaincy. Haddin doesn't really fit the bill. smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Apr 25 2013 02:37 AM

I find Shane Watson so overated
Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Apr 25 2013 03:48 AM

Delighted to see Chris Rogers get another go. I think he was selected based on his excellent first class performances in England as well as back here. He and Cowan to open with Warner to bat at 6.... Hopefully Harris can stay fit.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Apr 25 2013 09:20 PM

Australian fast bowling must be cursed cause Ryan Harris is out for 2 months with injury he suffered in the IPL

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Apr 25 2013 09:35 PM

Geez, way to jinx him, Mike! shocked
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Apr 26 2013 04:12 AM

This is the most amusing thread on the whole of FT. grin

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Apr 26 2013 04:37 AM

Please flopsy, keep the sniggering to a level that can't be heard on this side of the equator :-)

'The Age' this afternoon was reporting that management were very, very confident he'll be right for the tour. Hence, he's gone...
Posted by: Aussiedrongo

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Apr 27 2013 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: wwe84
I find Shane Watson so overated

I concur. After his dummy spit in India he should never have been allowed to play for Australia again. He could have said he came back home simply for family reasons and left it at that; most would have understood. But he insisted on making jibes about those within Cricket Australia and speculating on his future. Mate, you were one of four people who stuffed up and were disciplined for doing so. The other three copped it on the chin but you, who is built like Tarzan, reacted like Jane.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jul 09 2013 10:51 AM

Well The Ashes series between Australia vs England starts today i can't wait as much as it pains i'm choosing England to win the series 2-1 with i reckon their will be at least 2 drawn tests

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Jul 10 2013 03:18 AM

This is a shocker Ashton Agar is making his Test debut today for Australia against England

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Jul 10 2013 03:42 AM

Australia's 1st test squad

1:Shane Watson
2:Chris Rogers
3:Ed Cowan
4:Michael Clarke
5:Phil Hughes
6:Steve Smith
7:Brad Haddin
8:Peter Siddle
9:James Pattinson
10:Mitchell Starc
11:Ashton Agar

12th man:Nathan Lyon

England:

1:Alastair Cook
2:Joe Root
3:Jonathan Trott
4:Kevin Pietersen
5:Ian Bell
6:Jonny Bairstow
7:Matt Prior
8:Stuart Broad
9:Graeme Swann
10:Steven Finn
11:James Anderson
Posted by: Dalgleish

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 11 2013 04:17 AM

I think Agar is Inverarity's baby. Being a fellow West Australian has helped, but I read today that Mike Hussey reckons that Agar is the "complete package".
I had to have a little laugh when I saw Agar's name in the team. Everyone was making a big thing about Fawad Ahmed having his citizenship rushed through so that he is available, and when it finally happened, he's sent home and an unknown 19yo gets the gig!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 11 2013 04:23 AM

Oh, and just to weigh into the debate about Bad Haddin, I watched the first session of day 1, and in that 2 hours, Haddin let through, I think, 6 byes, and jumped over the top of a catch. I saw on the highlights tonight that he almost baulked Watson at 1st slip when Bell edgecd the ball. Haddin started to go and then stopped, which is a strict no-no for a keeper.
Wade had an ordinary tour of India with the gloves, but the ball was rolling along the ground for the most part, so if they were set on having Haddin as VC, surely the best scenario would be to bat Haddin at 6 and bat Wade at 7 and keep.
Posted by: gtho4

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 11 2013 07:46 AM

Agar is in the nervous 90s ..
Posted by: TabbyTom

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 11 2013 08:35 AM

Well, I like to think I can keep a sense of proportion about games. I've never cared about the nationality of the Wimbledon champion or the result of an England football game. But Agar's dismissal for 98 was a real disappointment: I'd happily have given a lot to see him get a hundred. England have so far made six off six overs in the second innings: the game has certainly turned round for an hour or two at least.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 11 2013 05:15 PM

What a debut for Agar i went to bed when he made his half century i should've stayed up and i think they should drop Ed Cowan i just don't understand why Phil Hughes wasn't batting at no 3 & Surprise Surprise Shane Watson is injured again

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 11 2013 06:38 PM

If Ed Cowan and Shane Watson were horses they would have been shot a long time ago and turned into Findus Beef Lasagna meals. How long are the selectors going to persist with these two jokes?

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 12 2013 01:49 AM

I went to sleep when he was in the seventies .. wish I had stayed up!
The commentators were very quick to change their tune when he got his eye in from "the innings will be over soon" to "he's only at number 11 because he's on debut and only 19" (he was only 19 .. let me hum that song for the next six hours!crazy)

It's like the start of holidays .. all this cricket stretched out in front of us. wink

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 12 2013 02:32 AM

I'd actually forgotten about him being in the team and I couldn't think who was batting 11 until he came out. First thing I thought was, "Why the heck is he batting 11 with a first class average of over 30?", but Botham's comments were pretty right - seniority of the other bowlers took precedence, and no-one in the team is a slouch with the bat (well, apart from Haddin..). I'll put money on him being higher than Siddle in the 2nd innings.
And what Tom ssid also applied to the crowd at the ground. When he got his 50, the Barmy Army gave him a standing ovation!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 13 2013 03:45 AM

it's almost like the elephant in the room ...

Should Stuart Broad have walked?

I think that every Australian would have held his ground as well and he had every right to stay right where he was.
Possibly my only problem with it is that with is happening so early in the double Ashes series I wonder if good sportsmanship has any chance in the rest of the Tests.

As far as the supporters go ... There were so many comments about whinging Poms after the Trott (non)dismissal the day before that I think we are very close to being crowned the new whingers. smirk

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 13 2013 04:45 AM

Quote:
I think that every Australian would have held his ground as well and he had every right to stay right where he was.

Geoff Boycott has also said that Aussies never walk, but I'm sure I remember Adam Gilchrist walking more than once. However, men like him are very rare in any country in the modern game.

Certainly a batsman has every right to stay at the wicket if he's given not out. After all, if he's given out caught behind when he knows he didn't get an edge, he has to go.

Leaving questions of sportsmanship aside, the practical lesson seems to be "Don't waste reviews on close-shave decisions: save them for cases where you have a good chance of getting the umpire's decision overturned."

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 13 2013 05:12 AM

I remember that it was such big news when Gilchrist started walking that it probably shows it's a rare thing.

Quote:
Leaving questions of sportsmanship aside, the practical lesson seems to be "Don't waste reviews on close-shave decisions: save them for cases where you have a good chance of getting the umpire's decision overturned."

oh exactly!
Can you imagine if there were no restrictions on the amount of reviews?
Posted by: rossian

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 13 2013 05:55 AM

While I understand the pragmatic view is to 'leave it to the umpire', I'm not sure that I liked seeing it happen. I've read that none other than Shane Warne has said that Broad did nothing wrong.

Let's hope sportsmanship continues to shine through. Remember that Swann caught Agar, then ran to congratulate him on his great innings. Shades of Flintoff/Lee, there.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 14 2013 04:28 AM

There is more tendency in international cricket to "walk" these days, simply because, with the review system, they pretty much know they won't get away with it. Generally if a bloke doesn't "walk", it's because he doesn't believe he's nicked it, like Michael Clarke in the second innings.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 14 2013 12:34 PM

Heartbreaking for Australia as they lost by 14 runs i thought for sure they would get them with Brad Haddin
Posted by: surdoux

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 14 2013 01:10 PM

It was a great game, despite the disputed decisions. From my position in the crowd, it was difficult to see (or hear) the latest ones, it will certainly be interesting to see the replays on TV later. The crowd loved every minute and to be fair, it was a shame to see either team lose.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 18 2013 02:24 AM

2nd Ashes Test Team Changes

Australia:

In:
Usman Khawaja
Ryan Harris

Out:

Ed Cowan
Mitchell Starc

England:

In:

Tim Bresnan

Out:

Steven Finn

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 18 2013 03:37 AM

2nd Ashes Test

England have won the toss and decided to bat first

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 18 2013 04:50 AM

Well, Harris is certainly justifying his selection. Root and Pietersen dismissed in his first three overs!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 18 2013 01:09 PM

He is with 3 wickets & Steve Smith is a suprise as well

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 01:21 AM

Couldn't watch so much of it last night ... maybe after the footy tonight I can sit back and watch. Seems like England had a dodgy patch to start and to finish but were solid enough in the middle of it all!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 02:59 AM

We're just raising your hopes, ready to dash them again (I hope!).

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 04:04 AM

Y'know it's only fair that Smith picked up wickets.

The Australian bowlers have been expected to score all the runs, so it's about time the Australian batsmen started to take wickets!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 02:02 PM

Man what happen to Australia i went to bed when Australia came in to bat and were all out for 128

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 02:32 PM

The BBC headline said it all: "Australia folded like napkins".

And England got in a few pleats of their own before the day ended, 31-3? What's that about?
Posted by: Tizzabelle

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 03:57 PM

If you're looking for me, I'll be in my backyard doing a rain dance... by proxy for London wink

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 04:45 PM

Can a rain event last for at least a month? That will allow us to escape with only a 1-0 loss. Things are looking extremely bleak.

I feel very sorry for Chris Rogers. He obviously wanted to review the decision but didn't so as to preserve the last team review. The less said about Watson's choice, the better. As someone posted on CricInfo, each innings has one review for Watson, another for Australia.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 05:10 PM

Quote:
Can a rain event last for at least a month?
Don't forget we're talking about the UK. If I start the rain, it might well last a month. I just need to turn the tap a little. For the Brits here, I don't want it to flood, you've had enough of that lately. I'd just like enough misting rain during cricket hours to prevent play. *sigh* It wasn't that long ago that were were doing as well as the Poms in sport. Enjoy it while it lasts, duckies! wink

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 06:13 PM

It was St Swithin's Day this week, it was sunny - so do the rain dance all you like, it won't work. Although we could do with some rain, it's too bloomin' hot!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
It was St Swithin's Day this week, it was sunny - so do the rain dance all you like, it won't work.
I'll note the date in my diary for the next tour wink

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 19 2013 09:38 PM

It's about time for Michael Clarke to bat at No 3

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 20 2013 01:34 AM

It's about time for Michael Clarke to bat at No 3

Well, Khawaja looked ok, and Clarke didn't exactly set the world on fire. Clarke is most comfortable, and most effective, at 5, so if that's where he wants to bat, then he should. If you recall, Steve Waugh and Allan Border spent a large part of their time as captain at 6, and were very effective.

Of course, Waugh and Border had some decent bats above them...

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 20 2013 07:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle
It wasn't that long ago that were were doing as well as the Poms in sport. Enjoy it while it lasts, duckies! wink

It's going to be one of those weekends you'll hate. Mo Farrah broke the longstanding British record for the 1500m yesterday and he's not even a middle distance runner. Chris Froome should (fingers crossed, touch wood, barring accidents) win the Tour de France tomorrow - as if a Brit winning the Tour wasn't enough to send the French into paroxysms of grief last year, another one's going to win it this year, oh la la! And then there's the cricket... but you know about that. wink

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 20 2013 09:35 AM

I just checked the rugby union trophy case and felt like Old Mother Hubbard! We'll survive the weekend somehow and plough on until we reign supreme again.... one day... in one sport or other wink

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 20 2013 01:50 PM

Then you just had Manchester United beat A League All Stars 5-1 last night in Sydney

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 20 2013 03:34 PM

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things,
Of the British and the Lions,
And all the British cyclists' wins,
While in cricket there's the Ashes -
So many sporting things."

"A game of golf," the Walrus said,
"Is what we really need:
At Muirfield there's the Open
With Westwood in the lead -
And Murray won the tennis so
Life's very good indeed!"

"Oh Aussies," said the Carpenter
"You had a pleasant run!
Shall we invent another sport
That you can play for fun?"
But the Aussies were quite silent
For trophies had they none.

With apologies to Lewis Carroll

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jul 20 2013 06:48 PM

OK flopsymopsy, you asked for it.

To the tune of Peter Allen's 'I Still Call Australia Home'

I've watched some cricket and golf in my time
Rugby and tennis and blokes riding bikes
While at present you Poms might be better at sports
Our weather's much warmer than yours.

I tried watching soccer but soon gave it up
When the players fell over at every slight touch
You can call it the world game, I call it a bore
At least Aussie Rules brings a score.

When all the sons and daughters of the Southern Cross
Men, women and girls and boys
Head out to the paddocks to watch the coin toss
You'll hear them shout out Oi Oi Oi!

And one day we'll dominate the Poms once again
And the Ashes will go to much worthier men
But 'til then there's something for which we can cheer
In Australia we don't drink warm beer.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 21 2013 03:47 AM

So today being day 4 of this test match i reckon England will declare before lunch then bowl Australia out after tea the way Australia has been batting the only luck they would have if it rain for the next 2 days
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 21 2013 04:11 AM

Is it possible for an Aussie to be Poet Laureate? I nominate Aussiedrongo!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 21 2013 04:51 AM

LOL, excellent. grin

I'll refrain from mentioning that you stole "Oi Oi Oi" from Devon, I'll mention it some other time. tongue

Oggy Oggy Oggy!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 21 2013 06:26 AM

Your prediction is working so far, wwe84. Any suggestions for next week's lottery numbers?

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 21 2013 06:38 AM

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
LOL, excellent. grin

I'll refrain from mentioning that you stole "Oi Oi Oi" from Devon, I'll mention it some other time. tongue

Oggy Oggy Oggy!

No need for me to remind you that we are a nation of thieves, rogues and ruffians in that case then, is there?

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 21 2013 08:19 AM

Nope, no need. We'll just draw a veil over the fact that one of them was my great-great-great-uncle Bill... but he was pardoned and came back!

Neat fourth wicket partnership going on at present. Making things more respectable. And Agar yet to come - I'd almost like him to get his ton this innings. But note the word 'almost'. wink

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 21 2013 11:44 AM

England has just won the 2nd Ashes test by an 347 runs with 3 balls left on day 4

England leads the 5 match series 2-0

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jul 21 2013 12:03 PM

That was a bit close for comfort, let's do better next time!
Posted by: dippo

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Jul 22 2013 01:33 PM

Considering the new royal baby will also be the monarch of Australia, I'm surprised it's not out by now!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Jul 22 2013 06:13 PM

Australia's fast bowler James Pattinson has been ruled of the rest of the Ashes series with a back injury

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jul 23 2013 12:41 AM

One of your better batsmen, too...

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jul 23 2013 05:50 AM

After 2 Tests, only 3 batsmen are averaging over 30 - Agar, Khawaja and Pattinson!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jul 23 2013 10:24 AM

Pattinson and Agar's batting averages are certainly respectable. Pity their bowling averages to date are even higher!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Jul 24 2013 05:57 AM

On Cricinfo, there is currently a poll to decide who would be the best player to bring into the Australian side to turn their fortunes around.
The nominees are - David Warner, Ed Cowan, Nathan Lyon and Simon Katich. And guess who gets the most votes. Yep, The nearly-38yo Simon Katich, who wasn't even thought of as good enough until Langer retired 6 years ago!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Jul 24 2013 11:16 AM

David Warner just made 193 for Australia A against South Africa A and get this one day player Glenn Maxwell made 100

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 25 2013 03:24 AM

I guess the selectors have 193 reasons now to pick David Warner

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 25 2013 03:54 AM

My question relates to the game v Sussex. After copping the father of a hiding in the 2nd Test, no fewer than 6 players are rested, rather than having some well-needed match practice, including Watson and Rogers, who both need runs under their belt. Agar has to play, even though he's carrying an injury. And more bizarrely, two guys have been called in to make up the numbers who aren't in the squad, one has not even played a First Class match in his life!
Ashton Turner, 20, is a West Australian allrounder who has played one one-day domestic match. He is suddenly viewed as Australian Test material? At least they only brought Travis Head in as 12th man!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 25 2013 03:59 AM

I've never heard of those 2 before today & if the selectors want to pick someone pick Glenn Maxwell he is an all-rounder

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jul 25 2013 06:45 PM

The second Test brought no great joy to me so I stopped watching and did some reading instead. I was interested in learning more on the history of cricket between Australia and England but wasn't expecting to find what I did. It turns out the first game of cricket between the two was much earlier than what most believe and the result much different to recent matches. I found a poem commemorating this game of cricket written by a certain Susie A. Gordon which reads thus:

'Twas in the month of April
Back in seventeen-seventy,
When Captain Cook made landfall
At the bay called Botany.
He spied himself some natives
And thought "I've just the ticket,
I'll teach these naked savages
The noble art of cricket."

So Cook he cut some branches
From a eucalyptus tree,
And carved them into cricket stumps,
Not one, nor two, but three.
Then from a canvas haversack
He took a bat and ball,
For Englishmen do come prepared
For whenever battle calls.

"Good day old chaps," said Captain Cook,
"Pleased to meet. I'm James.
I'd be obliged if I could teach
You all a little game.
Now one of you go stand up at
That end of the wicket,
I'll stay down here and toss this ball
Then you just try to hit it."

Off two steps did Captain Cook
Send the first ball down,
The native hit it back at him
But kept it on the ground.
A little quicker was the Captain's
Next delivery,
The native hooked, the ball it hit
A grazing wallaby.

"Not bad old chap!" said Captain Cook
"At least for a beginner.
But watch the ball more closely now,
This next one is a spinner."
Now Cook he took a run up,
Of nine yards, maybe ten,
The native whacked the ball back flying
A mile above his head.

Well Cook he was dejected,
His bottom lip did pout,
"I think I'll have a bat," he said,
"You try and get ME out."
The native bowled a yorker
That made the Captain jump.
He followed with a googly
That found the middle stump.

A dozen balls the native bowled
And each one found the wickets.
"Give a man a chance." Cried Cook
"I say, it's just not cricket."
He took his bat and took his ball
And doffed his hat and then,
He went back to his ship and sailed
And was never seen again.

The natives well remember though
The pale man from the sea,
Who once provided them such mirth
With his frivolity.
They still immortalise this man
In traditional dance and song,
At corroborees when they perform
'The Bloody Whingeing Pom.'

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 26 2013 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalgleish
My question relates to the game v Sussex. After copping the father of a hiding in the 2nd Test, no fewer than 6 players are rested, rather than having some well-needed match practice, including Watson and Rogers, who both need runs under their belt. Agar has to play, even though he's carrying an injury. And more bizarrely, two guys have been called in to make up the numbers who aren't in the squad, one has not even played a First Class match in his life!
Ashton Turner, 20, is a West Australian allrounder who has played one one-day domestic match. He is suddenly viewed as Australian Test material? At least they only brought Travis Head in as 12th man!

Oh man, I had the same thought when they said about Watson having the week off. If anyone needs some match practice it is him. It's giving the likes of Warner and massive foot in the door. I just don't understand the whole selection thing ... the team is getting changed around all over and not getting the chance to settle into being a cohesive unit.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jul 26 2013 05:44 AM

If anyone reads Cricinfo, the main pic today was of Darren Lehmann in the nets getting batting practice.
Perhaps Boof is thinking, "If these blokes can't do the job, then I'll just have to go out and do it myself!"

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 01 2013 03:44 AM

The 3rd Ashes Test is about to get under way

England has named unchanged side from the 2nd test

Australia changes

In:
David Warner(He is batting at no 6)
Mitchell Starc
Nathan Lyon

Out:
Phil Hughes
James Pattinson(Injured)
Ashton Agar

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 01 2013 10:58 AM

Well Australia has learned how to bat Chris Rogers with 80+ Michael Clarke getting a century & Steve Smith passing his 50 aswell

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 05 2013 09:01 AM

Well, Australia has outplayed the England XI, but their twelfth opponent - the English weather - has been too much for them. This is a very disappointing way for the fate of the Ashes to be decided.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 05 2013 12:34 PM

Australia was so unlucky after the way they played in the 1st innings with Michael Clarke getting to to 180+,Australia should've won that but the lousy English weather wins again

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 06 2013 05:19 AM

The one thing that this Test highlighted was how much of a mess the ICC and the MCC have made of the game.
I won't go into the debacle that is called the DRS again (which some people reckon stands for "Don't Refer, Stupid!") as that's something that the ICC need to address urgently, but the MCC need to have some more people look at scenarios before changing Laws.
What I am specifically referring to is the situation that occurred on the 4th evening. The umpires were concerned about the light, to the extent that they suggested to Cook that he bowl spinners if they wanted to stay out there. Now, that was their first error, as it was drummed into us that you DO NOT suggest that to the captain. The mere sight of the umpires coming together should tell the fielding captain that the light may be a problem, so they don't need you to coach them. Having said that, it's the umpires' primary concern to look after the safety of the players, no argument there. HOWEVER, the Australians were scoring freely, and if the umpires had a concern about the fielders'safety, they surely would not have suggested bowling spin. So, instead of offering the light to the batsmen, as was the Law until 2010, the umpires just called play off. You cannot blame Clarke for being livid at the decision, even though rain stopped any chance of a resumption not long after.
The fact is, the game needs to go back to being simple. I don't mind the technology for run-outs, stumpings and obvious errors, but when 49% of the ball is hitting the stump on a referral and it is rejected because it's not 51%, and the fielding side loses a referral because of it, then maybe there is a problem?

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Aug 09 2013 03:35 AM

4th Ashes test is about to begin England has won the toss & is batting first

England Team is unchanged from 3rd Test

Australia Team Changes:

In:
Jackson Bird

Out:
Mitchell Starc

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Aug 09 2013 03:39 AM

That'll teach Starc to score runs and take wickets!

Seriously, Bird is a class act and should do well.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Aug 09 2013 03:49 AM

I don't get dropping someone who made it past 50 in the last test i'm all for Jackson Bird coming in they should've dropped Nathan Lyon

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Aug 09 2013 12:19 PM

4th Ashes Test:Stumps Day 1 England 9/238,Nathan Lyon gets 4 wickets

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Aug 10 2013 01:35 PM

Australia ends Day 2 at 5/222 with Chris Rogers on 101 no

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Aug 11 2013 03:51 AM

Interestingly, Rogers is only the 17th oldest debut Test centurion, but the 2nd oldest Australian.
Obviously, such things as wars, bans and late recognition for countries come into it, but I think it's still an amazing stat.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 12 2013 11:47 AM

I thought Australia had a chance with David Warner & Chris Rogers in the 2nd innings with Australia at 7/187 needing 299 for victory England have won this

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 12 2013 11:57 AM

Someone on the BBC website described it as a 'collapse of English quality'. I remember those days so well & never thought I'd see an Aussie team follow suit.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 12 2013 12:23 PM

The Australian batting their are no words for how badly they are batting

Australia with 2 overs to go in the day 9/211

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 12 2013 12:44 PM

It's all over now!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 12 2013 10:19 PM

Just read about the Ashes series going between women atm in England the Australian women are doing much better at beating England than the men

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 13 2013 02:07 AM

Perhaps we should swap the teams...

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 13 2013 02:13 AM

If you put Ellyse Perry in the Mens side she would go OK

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 13 2013 04:59 AM

I've seen wet tissue paper with more substance than our middle order. So who will play in the last test? My predictions:

Faulkner in for the injured Watson.

Hughes to replace Khawaja. I have a lot of time for Usman but I think he needs to get settled back on Australian wickets - he looks out of his depth at the moment.

Hopefully Harris will be fit.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 13 2013 12:39 PM

Matthew Wade needs to come in,i agree with Faulkner
Posted by: mountaingoat

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 13 2013 09:46 PM

There seems to be a problem with the way batsmen are being developed in First class cricket and State cricket. Maybe too much pyjama game and 20/20. They don't seem to have the grit to grind out a big score.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Aug 14 2013 10:19 PM

The womens one off Ashes test ended in a draw

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 15 2013 01:03 AM

It's an interesting format for the women's matches. Points are awarded over all the games, including the one dayers and 20/20, and whichever team has the higher number wins the Ashes.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 15 2013 03:25 AM

If it was applied to the mens Ashes series England will be winning by a landslide

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 15 2013 04:06 AM

I thought they already were...

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Aug 17 2013 12:15 PM

This link was all Rossian's idea!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 19 2013 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: rossian
It's an interesting format for the women's matches. Points are awarded over all the games, including the one dayers and 20/20, and whichever team has the higher number wins the Ashes.

I wish I could remember who was saying this .. all I can remember is that is was a past Australian captain .. but he was saying that with all the different forms of cricket at the moment it is splitting up the top players so he doubts that we'll have the teams of the past with multiple world class players.

If you enjoy listening to podcasts then the "World Cricket Show" is a good one. It's the only one I've found that isn't by past international players (a good thing!) .. it's just a couple of blokes from Guernsey talking cricket. Bit of a laugh.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 19 2013 04:05 AM

Flitoff ad

This made me smile smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 19 2013 06:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Copago
Flitoff ad

This made me smile smile

I get an ad for Jacobs crackers.
Posted by: playmate1111

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Aug 21 2013 03:38 AM

Flopsy you beat me to it with that link ROFL!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Aug 21 2013 11:09 AM

Watson has come good, at last, curse him! I thought he was supposed to be injured...

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Aug 21 2013 01:03 PM

Australia ends day 1 of the 5th Ashes test at 4/307 with Shane Watson making 176 where has this been form been all series for Australia

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 22 2013 01:28 PM

Australia declares at 9/492 after Steve Smith makes a 138 following on from Shane Watson's 178 and England ends Day 2 at 0/33

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 22 2013 10:38 PM

Off to a pretty good start.
Australia has almost breathed a sigh of relief that Watson got a good score ... and he did but I'd like to see him have a bit more consistency before all is forgiven.

Here's a funny youtube video about DRS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqT3__sO6WU&list=HL1377047713&noredirect=1

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Aug 25 2013 11:19 AM

There are 18 overs left in this Ashes series and England are 2/112 needing a another 115 runs to win

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Aug 25 2013 11:56 AM

10 overs left England need 67 runs, What happen Australia their 1st innings was excellent

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Aug 25 2013 02:21 PM

Well, that was a shame. Bad light faded England's hopes when it looked as though we were actually going to win. Oh well, the Ashes are still where they belong. smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Aug 25 2013 03:06 PM

A very disappointing end to a wonderful day's cricket. Full marks to Michael Clarke for an aggressive attitude in the third innings and a well timed sporting declaration,and to England for responding to the challenge.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 26 2013 12:42 AM

It was an exciting day's cricket, especially after England's slow progress on Friday. Well done to Michael Clarke for setting it up. It's a shame that the umpires had no choice but to end the day early, but it was pretty gloomy.

The English women won their match, so are now ahead in their Ashes challenge, too.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 26 2013 02:11 AM

I thought it could've been over with Piertsen & Trott smashing the ball all over the place

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Aug 26 2013 11:09 PM

Now can Australia win a match in either the one-day series or 20/20s with England

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 27 2013 05:11 AM

Australia has been stronger over the past few years in ODIs than Tests, so perhaps they will find their mojo.
But really, who cares? They went there for an Ashes tour, not for a couple of Mickey Mouse tournaments.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 27 2013 05:39 AM

Totally agree with you, dalgleish. The real cricket is finished and heartiest congratulations to the Poms for a deserved and resounding 3-0 victory! Overall, I thought there were only 2 players that made a substantial difference - Ian Bell (the standout) and to a slightly lesser extent, Graeme Swann. Other English players made very useful contributions here and there (Anderson, Pietersen). It was Australia's batting that let us down whereas the bowling was generally very good (Ryan Harris please note - stay fit!), with the exception of not being able to dismiss Bell the Rock.

The biggest loser over the series (ignoring Mickey Arthur) - The Decision Review System and more specifically the umpire adjudicating on that technical information.

Now for some slap and tickle before the real stuff returns in the Antipodes in a few months. Will I watch the ODIs and 20/20s? Of course. Will I care very much whether the Aussies win or lose? Not really.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 27 2013 06:04 AM

England's record in ODIs isn't great and several players have been rested, so your chances should improve, even if no-one is that bothered, including us. That little urn is what counts.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Aug 27 2013 12:33 PM

Does anyone think Australia has chance to win the Ashes this summer in Australia if they played like what they did in the 5th test i say yes

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 29 2013 04:44 AM

Yeah, if they are smarter than they have been, then yes.
Look at the facts from the recent series - yes, England won 3-0, but the 1st Test was by 14, and Australia had the better of two other Tests which were crueled by rain. England didn't pass 400 once, Australia did it twice. England's much vaunted top 3 averaged only around 23 between them, whereas Australia didn't even have a top 3 until the last Test.
Australia still has a lot of work to do, particularly in the batting dept. They need two steady openers, not just one, they need Watson to make 3 his own, and they need a reliable 5 or 6, as well as a reliable keeper/batsman, not just a stopper/part-time batsman. The bowling seems to be sorting itself out, so if Boof can wave his wand one more time, then we are a big chance.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 29 2013 12:44 PM

Watching the 20/20 between England and Australia what an innings by Aaron Finch he scores 156, Australia are 3/227 in the 17th over

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 29 2013 12:58 PM

Australia innings ends at 6/248, England needs 249 to win

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Aug 29 2013 02:50 PM

Australia beat England by 39 runs in the 1st 20/20 match

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Aug 30 2013 12:27 AM

That was an exceptional innings by Finch. I don't think any bowler in the world could have contained him the way he was playing. England made a better attempt than I expected. Well done Root for scoring so well, especially after being hit in the face by a ball sneaking through the grille.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Aug 30 2013 02:33 AM

If only if they played Finch in the test matches who knows what would've happen

England beat Australia to win the Womens Ashes

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Aug 30 2013 05:41 AM

Finch's first class record last season was ordinary. He was dropped from the Victorian side, so you really can't factor him into Ashes calculations.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Aug 31 2013 01:35 PM

I think that was pretty much a 'one off' innings where everything went his way. Today's match went some way to proving that, and also means the 20/20 matches are shared.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Sep 01 2013 01:07 PM

So the Australian selectors have dropped David Warner from the one day series with England

This is the 15 man squad for the one day series against England

1:Michael Clarke(c)
2:George Bailey(vc)
3:Fawad Ahmed
4:Nathan Coulter-Nile
5:James Faulkner
6:Aaron Finch
7:Josh Hazlewood
8:Phil Hughes
9:Mitchell Johnson
10:Shaun Marsh
11:Glenn Maxwell
12:Clint McKay
13:Adam Voges
14:Matthew Wade
15:Shane Watson

England One day Squad
1:Eion Morgan(c)
2:Ravi Bopara
3:Jos Buttler
4:Michael Carberry
5:Steven Finn
6:Chris Jordan
7:Jamie Overton
8:Kevin Pietersen
9:Boyd Rankin
10:Joe Root
11:Ben Stokes
12:James Tredwell
13:Jonathan Trott
14:Luke Wright
Posted by: redwaldo

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Sep 01 2013 06:07 PM

It will be interesting to see how Pietersen's knee holds up in the one-dayers!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Sep 01 2013 06:30 PM

I want to see can Aaron Finch carries his 20/20 form into the one dayers

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Sep 04 2013 02:29 AM

Well, he and Marsh scored huge hundreds yesterday against Scotland, while Morgan and Bopara both hit unbeaten tons playing Ireland. I'm not sure these have any significance, since the opposition wasn't the best.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Sep 08 2013 11:44 AM

Australia beat England by 88 runs in the 2nd ODI after Michael Clarke scores 105 & George Bailey 82

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Sep 09 2013 04:46 AM

Already people are asking why Bailey didn't play i any of the Tests.

Personally, I thought he would have been a reserve batsman for the Test squad, but really, the guy averages around 30 in 1st Class cricket, so it would be hard to build an argument for him, unless you want to use the Warner argument. Even then, Warner was averaging 50+ in 1st Class cricket before his Test call-up.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Sep 14 2013 01:23 PM

England Beat Australia by 3 wickets in the 4th ODI to level the series at 1-all and that's include Clint McKay's hat trick in today's game

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Sep 17 2013 12:29 PM

Well Australia beat England to win the one day series 2-1 with Shane Watson 143 in the 5th ODI helping Australia to win

At least Australia won something on the Ashes tour but the wrong kind of silverware instead of the Ashes urn they pick up the ODI trophy

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Sep 17 2013 08:05 PM

About time we won something! Being beaten by the Poms is embarrassing. smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Sep 17 2013 10:09 PM

All that's left now on tour now is the 20/20 internationals

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Sep 18 2013 05:28 AM

They played T20s at the end of August. They are on their way home now.
Ridiculous scheduling by ICC/CA, they now have a month off (when some will play the Champions Trophy), and then they have a meaningless ODI tour of India before they have to face England again! Ridiculous!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Sep 18 2013 07:29 AM

The T20s were shared one each, which is rather better than England did against the might of NZ, where we lost 1-0 in T20s and 2-1 in ODIs.

Looking forward to the return matches now!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Sep 18 2013 01:20 PM

What are the chances of Australia winning The Ashes in a couple months with so many injures to the fast bowlers

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Sep 19 2013 05:38 AM

Luckily, pace bowling is where Australia's strength lies at the moment.
We have Pattinson, Starc and Cummins out of contention, conceivably for the summer. Ryan Harris should be right for the Tests. Siddle is a constant. There is a push for Johnson to return to the Test side, but I personally think that it would be a backward step, given his age and his apparent inability to bowl well anywhere except Perth.
The backups are top shelf - Ben Cutting, Kane Richardson, Clint McKay, Josh Hazlewood, even Ben Hilfenhaus, and I'll throw in a dark horse, Alister McDermott, are all class acts. Coulter-Nile has been shown wanting in ODIs, so I'd scratch him, but the backup boys will keep Australian bowling strong.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Sep 19 2013 01:21 PM

I guess the Australian government rushing Fawad Ahmed Australian citizenship through didn't help cause he has been dropped from the Australian ODI tour of India for his form in the ODI series with England along with Matthew Wade

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Sep 20 2013 06:09 AM

Fact is, Ahmed isn't a limited overs bowler anyway. He's a typical leggie, and is suited to 4 & 5 day cricket. Doherty is a specialist one-day bowler, who can't buy a wicket in the longer forms.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Sep 23 2013 01:03 PM

England has named their Ashes squad for the 2013/14 Australian Ashes tour

1:Alastair Cook(c)
2:Joe Root
6:Jonny Bairstow
10:James Anderson
11:Steven Finn
12:Boyd Rankin
13:Ben Stokes
14:Monty Panesar
15:Michael Carberry
16:Gary Ballance
17:Chris Tremlett

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Sep 24 2013 12:08 AM

I think Monty's inclusion is a good one for England.

They will probably play two spinners in the Adelaide Test if the pitch plays as it normally does.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Sep 26 2013 05:15 AM

Good to see Chris Tremlett getting a run, I rate him. I'm not really sure what they continue to see in Jonny Bairstow. With other blokes like James Taylor around, I think he was lucky to get a gig. Also, Nick Compton has done nothing wrong in the last couple of years, yet he's once again overlooked?

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Sep 26 2013 06:00 AM

Those tall fast bowlers could cause some havoc. Bairstow may come good yet, but I think Compton's age is against him. He's already 30 & needed to have established himself before now.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Sep 26 2013 12:24 PM

It will be interesting to see what kind of squad Australia picks for the coming Ashes series with so many injures to the fast bowlers.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Sep 27 2013 06:21 AM

Those tall fast bowlers could cause some havoc. Bairstow may come good yet, but I think Compton's age is against him. He's already 30 & needed to have established himself before now.

Rossian, this is the country that gave us Cowdrey, Close, Smith, Boycott, Gooch, Edrich, Stewart etc. At 30, Compton still has years ahead of him grin

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Oct 12 2013 02:31 AM

So Hot Spot won't be use for the coming Ashes series in Australia i wonder if this will cause more problems.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Oct 13 2013 05:09 AM

Possibly, but no more than when it wasn't used for about 120 years previous!

It still beggars belief that they refuse to use Snicko. It's about as accurate as you can get, and far more accurate than Hawkeye, which relies on predictions rather than actualities!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Oct 16 2013 10:41 AM

So in the 2nd ODI against India,Australia makes 5/359 from their 50 overs but they still lose to India by 9 wickets with 6 overs to go

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Oct 18 2013 05:53 AM

After seeing Haddin spill a catch early on, I'm thinking that Faulkner was wishing that he'd poked him in the eyes harder!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Oct 23 2013 04:18 PM

The way George Bailey is playing in the ODIs in India he should be picked in the 1st Ashes test

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Oct 24 2013 05:21 AM

Darren Lehmann said that performances in this series of ODIs would count in players'favour when picking the Test side.

If I were Darren, I also wouldn't discount performances in the Ryobi Cup. Obviously Smith is already in the Test 11, but they could do worse than look at the performances of Cameron White, Michael Klinger and Usman Khawaja.

Oh, and if they are worried about batting depth in the bowlers without Starc, perhaps it is finally time for Ben Cutting?

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Oct 24 2013 09:39 AM

David Warner what a innings yesterday in the Ryobi Cup 197 3 short of becoming the first player in 45 years of the comp to score a double century plus he beat the 10 year record what Jimmy Maher set with 187.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Oct 30 2013 10:52 AM

Australia make 350 in the 6th ODI against India & they still lose after India chase down the target

Bright spot for Australia was George Bailey's 156

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Oct 30 2013 05:51 PM

Bailey deserves his chance at #6 in the Brisbane Test.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Oct 30 2013 06:09 PM

Agree with you on that

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Nov 05 2013 11:40 PM

Watching the Australia "A" vs England on TV if this is how England plays against Australia "A" the Australian test team is in deep trouble it almost the end of Day 1 & England are 0/305 Alistair Cook 154 no & Carberry 140 no

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Nov 06 2013 04:46 AM

They are going well, but keep in mind that, of the Australia A bowling attack, Ben Cutting is the only one in the queue for a Test berth. Copeland is a good bowler but bread and butter for the English, Henriques is an over-rated part-timer, Holland can be ok but will never be any more than a reasonable Shield bowler.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Nov 06 2013 05:05 AM

Maybe Shane Warne would do better not to try and wind Alastair Cook up.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Nov 06 2013 10:12 PM

Rain has saved Australia A from further humiliation from England on day 2 with not a ball being bowled so far

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Nov 11 2013 07:58 PM

Australian 1st Ashes test squad for Brisbane next Thursday

1:Chris Rogers
2:Shane Watson
3:David Warner
4:Michael Clarke(c)
5:Steve Smith
6:George Bailey
7:Brad Haddin(vc)
8:Nathan Lyon
9:Peter Siddle
10:Ryan Harris
11:Mitchell Johnson
12:James Faulkner

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Nov 12 2013 05:08 AM

I hope to be proved wrong, but I'm not entirely satisfied with the team.

Apart from Haddin, who I've argued for years should not be there, I'm not a fan of bringing Johnson back. Yes, he's been bowling faster than he has for a few years, but the guy is 32, and will be opening the bowling with a 34yo. It's a bandaid solution. Personally, I would have thought that Ben Cutting might have been seriously considered. Home ground, in form, also batting up a storm...

I have mixed emotions about Bailey. Based on ODI performances, and on Shield last year, yes. And, I think that, being picked, he should have been made VC straight away, as he's shown that he's an astute captain, and Clarke is no certainty to play the series. However, he is already 31, and I really can't see him still around when he's 35. Perhaps the selectors see him as a short-term fix like Johnson, and want to have a longer look at guys like Lynn, Doolan etc.

Glad to see Faulkner in the 12. He will be the star player in the Australian team in the not-too-distant future. He has the goods to be our Flintoff.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Nov 13 2013 11:13 AM

Alex Doolan is so unlucky not to be picked for the 1st Test he is inform

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Nov 20 2013 05:35 PM

1ST ASHES TEST

Australia has won the toss & decided to bat first

Australia 1st test side

1:David Warner
3:Shane Watson
8:Peter Siddle
9:Mitchell Johnson
10:Ryan Harris
11:Nathan Lyon

England 1st test side

1:Alastair Cook
2:Michael Carberry
6:Joe Root
10:Chris Tremlett
11:Jimmy Anderson

The Ashes 2013/2014 - Wed Nov 20 2013 06:19 PM

Tea Day 1 Australia 6/153
Brad Haddin-24
Mitchell Johnson-12

Out:
Chris Rogers 1
Shane Watson-22
Michael Clarke-1
David Warner-49
George Bailey-3
Steve Smith-31

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Nov 20 2013 06:24 PM

Dalgleish, I agree with you regarding Haddin. The problem is who do we pick in his place? Wade is suspended for tampering with the pitch and I'm not convinced his keeping is up to scratch. Tim Paine - I'd love to see him get a go, but he needs some consistent form to back up his talent now that he' finally seems to be over that horrible hand injury.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Nov 20 2013 08:49 PM

The way it's shaping, England will only bat once in this test.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Nov 21 2013 03:02 AM

The Aussie press may be regretting winding up Stuart Broad. He's certainly done his talking with the ball so far. Haddin and Johnson may not have been picked primarily for their batting, but they've done you proud so far.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Nov 22 2013 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeMaster99
Dalgleish, I agree with you regarding Haddin. The problem is who do we pick in his place? Wade is suspended for tampering with the pitch and I'm not convinced his keeping is up to scratch. Tim Paine - I'd love to see him get a go, but he needs some consistent form to back up his talent now that he' finally seems to be over that horrible hand injury.

Apart from Wade, Haddin is probably the worst wicketkeeper in 1st Class cricket in Australia at the moment. AND he's 36.

You've got Chris Hartley, Tim Ludeman, Tom Triffitt, even Peter Nevill, all better keepers. Tim Paine is always trotted out as the replacement, but he's not as good as these other guys, and he's only scored one 1st Class century in his career. My personal choice would be Hartley, but he's already 31, so I'd be happy to see Nevill take the spot. He's Haddin's understudy for NSW, but he's ready to rock'n'roll whenever required. The fact that he's playing as a batsman when Haddin's in the side is surely enough proff that he's not going to let you down there.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Nov 22 2013 06:25 AM

Btw, I'm as happy as anyone that Haddin stood up with the bat for Australia in the 1st Test. I've never said he can't bat, just that it would be nice if we could have a wicketkeeper who could, y'know, keep...

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Nov 22 2013 09:03 AM

Quote:
The way it's shaping, England will only bat once in this test.

That will have to be in their second innings!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Nov 22 2013 09:19 AM

We can but hope, TabbyTom. What a fiasco that was.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Nov 22 2013 11:19 PM

Australia is in the boxseat now thanks to centuries from David Warner & Michael Clarke

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Nov 24 2013 01:50 AM

Australia has the 1st Ashes test by 381 runs & leads the series 1-0

Mitchell Johnson was the star today with 5 wickets

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Nov 24 2013 02:19 AM

Well done Australia. That was embarrassingly poor from England.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Nov 24 2013 03:06 PM

Australia side is unchanged for the 2nd test

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Nov 24 2013 04:06 PM

Hopefully the result will also be unchanged. smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Nov 24 2013 04:52 PM

Hopefully Mitchell Johnson fires again in the 2nd test

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Nov 25 2013 05:25 AM

Word today is that Trott is going home because of a "stress-related illness". Shame, I rate Trott.

Suddenly, 1974-5 springs to mind. After the 1st Test, when England was disposed of by an insanely-quick Thommo and a reinvigorated Lillee, they sent an SOS back to England to get Colin Cowdrey out. If they want backup this time, who to chose? Personally, I'd go for Nick Compton, who should have played in the home series, but if they want another one in the Cowdrey mold, Maybe Athers or Alec Stewart might don the cap again.

England expects.... smilee
Posted by: srini701

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Nov 25 2013 10:20 AM

How can one team go from being sooooo very good to being soooo very bad against the very same team in less than 3 months?

At the risk of being pounced upon, methinks it's just an emerging pattern in World cricket these days. Every team is good only on its home turf and struggle once they go out. No exceptions smile South Africa is a little better than the rest only because they are at least able to adjust to the conditions by the 2nd and 3rd Test when they play away. Watch what happens when India goes to South Africa (and maybe to New Zealand too).

I sure wish England can fight back in this series smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Nov 25 2013 04:51 PM

I think you have a point, srini: teams generally do better on their home turf, helped (no doubt) by the fact that the turf is prepared by local groundsmen.

However, England had a fairly easy ride on their last tour of Australia, and more recently they actually managed to win a series in India.

I'm inclined to think there's an element of over-confidence among English players and especially English pundits lately, as there was after the 2005 series victory. Back then, our English triumphalism got its just reward on the 2006/07 tour. This time around, Ian Botham's truculent prediction of a five-nil whitewash for England has been shown up for the bombast that it was. Maybe the Brisbane result will make English players and supporters realize that they have a hard campaign ahead of them. It should still be perfectly possible for England to take the series, but I hope the Australians make it a fight all the way. And I'm glad to see Mitchell Johnson back on top of his form with the bat as well as the ball.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Nov 25 2013 04:59 PM

Put Ian Bell at number 3 & put Jonny Bairstow in the team

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Nov 26 2013 05:43 AM

Disagree WWE. Root is really the only guy standing up at the moment, and he's just spent a Summer opening against Australia.
I feel that England have erred in not requesting a replacement. For mine, Nick Compton would be the logical choice. He's a good opener, he could easily cover 3, and he would also be an option for Carberry, who the jury is still out on.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Dec 03 2013 10:59 PM

Australia have named their side for tomorrow's 2nd Ashes test it is unchanged from the 1st test

Australia:
4:Michael Clarke(c)
8:Mitchell Johnson
9:Ryan Harris
10:Peter Siddle
12th man:James Faulkner

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Dec 04 2013 03:32 AM

No surprise there. You don't change a winning side. Darren Lehmann has stated that the "rotation policy" for pace bowlers is dead, you go in with your best XI. Thank God for Darren Lehmann!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Dec 04 2013 03:57 AM

As a Brit, I'm not sure I agree with that last sentence, Dalgleish. He's certainly made a difference to your team. We had started to get used to winning!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Dec 04 2013 06:34 AM

It will be interesting to see the England selection-Who replaces Trott/Do they play two spinners (Swann/Monty)?

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Dec 04 2013 05:34 PM

England 2nd Ashes test side

1:Alastair Cook(c)
3:Joe Root
6:Ben Stokes
10:Jimmy Anderson
11:Monty Panesar

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Dec 04 2013 05:35 PM

Australia won the toss & is batting first

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 05 2013 07:39 PM

Michael Clarke just made his century Australia are 5/373 on Day 2

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 05 2013 08:39 PM

Clarke has been in great form, leading the team in their quest to win back the Ashes.

Unless England collapse in their first innings, I can't see a result in this Adelaide test.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 06 2013 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: redwaldo

Unless England collapse in their first innings, I can't see a result in this Adelaide test.

There's every chance of that the way we're playing right now.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 06 2013 12:04 PM

Stumps Day 2

Australia 9/570 dec

Michael Clarke 148
Brad Haddin 118
Chris Rogers 72
Ryan Harris 55no
George Bailey 53
Shane Watson 51

England 1/35

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 06 2013 08:07 PM

England are in all sorts of trouble. Lunch on Day 3 sees them at 4/116.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 06 2013 08:21 PM

Brilliant catch by David Warner to dismiss Carberry

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 06 2013 09:27 PM

1st innings-England all out for 172

Mitchell Johnson took 7 wickets

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 06 2013 11:31 PM

England did collapse in the 1st. innings with silly shots from KP and Root but great fast bowling from Johnson.

Unless they can 'grid it out' by batting for two days, it will be 2-0 to Australia.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Dec 08 2013 07:29 PM

Australia has won the 2nd Ashes test & now lead the series 2-0
Posted by: mask100

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Dec 09 2013 12:01 PM

Brilliant stuff by Australia so far! Who would have though that the Aussies would make this dramatic turnaround after the 3-0 they got a few months back at the previous Ashes.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Dec 11 2013 03:29 AM

Probably the only bright spot for England so far has been the form of Root, Bell and, to a lesser extent, Carberry. Apart from Broad in the first innings of the 1st Test, the English bowling has resembled park bowling, with Anderson economical but nothing else, and Swann absolutely confounded by the Australian batting.
I hope they stick with Monty for the next Test because he bowled well without luck. Bresnan should come in for Swann, which doesn't affect the batting at all as Bresnan is a better bat than Swann anyway.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 12 2013 08:02 PM

Australia has won the toss & is batting first

3rd Ashes Test Squad

Australia:
8:Mitchell Johnson
9:Ryan Harris
10:Peter Siddle

England:
1:Alistair Cook
3:Joe Root
6:Ben Stokes
10:Tim Bresnan
11:Jimmy Anderson

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 13 2013 04:02 AM

Stumps Day 1: Australia 6/326 Steve Smith 103no
Posted by: Creedy

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 13 2013 07:08 AM

I'm just sitting here wagging my tail happily smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Dec 14 2013 06:22 AM

Just waiting for the English contingent to post, berating the DRS....

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Dec 14 2013 06:41 AM

The English contingent is just glad they weren't all out by the end of play!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Dec 14 2013 06:44 AM

Yeah, if they are smarter than they have been, then yes.
Look at the facts from the recent series - yes, England won 3-0, but the 1st Test was by 14, and Australia had the better of two other Tests which were crueled by rain. England didn't pass 400 once, Australia did it twice. England's much vaunted top 3 averaged only around 23 between them, whereas Australia didn't even have a top 3 until the last Test.
Australia still has a lot of work to do, particularly in the batting dept. They need two steady openers, not just one, they need Watson to make 3 his own, and they need a reliable 5 or 6, as well as a reliable keeper/batsman, not just a stopper/part-time batsman. The bowling seems to be sorting itself out, so if Boof can wave his wand one more time, then we are a big chance.

Thought I'd just bring this one back.... grin

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Dec 14 2013 01:59 PM

Well, thanks Dalgleish. As if I needed reminding. By the way, you can send that ringer back where he came from & let the real Mitchell Johnson play again now!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Dec 15 2013 02:22 AM

David Warner just scored a century Australia are 1/176 leads by 310

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Dec 15 2013 05:02 AM

Looks like Australia have the game in the bag. Unless a miracle occurs (England batting for two days) The Ashes return to Australia!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Dec 15 2013 07:26 AM

It looks like that England have lost Stuart Broad with a foot injiry

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Dec 15 2013 07:39 AM

They were saying that Swann's spinning finger might have been damaged as well, but he seemed to bowl pretty economically.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Dec 16 2013 04:40 AM

Originally Posted By: TabbyTom
They were saying that Swann's spinning finger might have been damaged as well, but he seemed to bowl pretty economically.

I reckon Swann was spinning the ball more on the 3rd afternoon than he'd spun it all tour!

Loved the comment on Cricinfo today when Watson was smacking Swann - "It's like a man kicking a kitten".

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Dec 16 2013 11:41 PM

Australia has won the 3rd Ashes Test & has won The Ashes

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Dec 17 2013 05:34 AM

Better fight from England than everyone was predicting. Stokes showed that he's got something about him.

Don't want go off too early, but England need to look at rebuilding around guys like Stokes, Root, Cook, Bresnan and Bell. Carberry has been ok, but he's already 33, as is Pietersen. Swann is already fielding media possibilities when he retires, Anderson has looked solid, but a half a yard slower than normal, which has hurt him bigtime. He actually reminds me of Allan Donald when he came out here in 2001-2 - he was still sharp, but lacked a little zip, and was carted as a result. Bresnan is a good, solid guy to work with, and Broad will be the mainstay for a few years yet.
I'm a big Matt Prior fan, but his keeping in the 2nd innings in Perth made Haddin's worst shows look good, and as everyone knows, I'm not a Haddin fan.

As I've said before, Nick Compton needs to come back in. Leave Rankin for the Irish and give Onions a decent run. I feel for Cook, who seems a good captain and a nice guy.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Dec 21 2013 06:42 PM

England's Graeme Swann has annoumced his retirement from international cricket

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Dec 22 2013 05:52 PM

Well, thanks Dalgleish. As if I needed reminding. By the way, you can send that ringer back where he came from & let the real Mitchell Johnson play again now!

He's simply channeling Dennis Lillee and Merv Hughes through the mo and it's working! wink
Posted by: Dizart

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Dec 23 2013 10:11 AM

It looks like that England have lost Stuart Broad with a foot injiry

Couldn't happen to a nicer cheat

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Dec 25 2013 05:08 PM

4th Ashes Test: Australia has won the toss & is bowling first

Australia remains unchanged

England:

In:
Jonny Bairstow
Monty Panesar

Out:
Matt Prior
Graeme Swann

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 26 2013 10:39 AM

England end Day 1 of the 4th Ashes Test at 6/226

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 26 2013 06:04 PM

4th Ashes Test: England all out for 255 before lunch on Day 2, Mitchell Johnson gets 5 wickets

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 26 2013 06:28 PM

All out for 255. Not enough...

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 26 2013 07:35 PM

Hmm. Maybe it might be enough. Australia 2/38 at lunch with Warner and Watson already back in the shed.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 26 2013 11:08 PM

*shock* I just heard on the ABC that Kerry O'Keeffe is retiring from cricket commentary after the Sydney test. frown

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 26 2013 11:13 PM

That is terrible news!

Wonder if they can record his laugh for the future. smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Dec 26 2013 11:40 PM

He's only been there for 13 years but he makes the coverage! I always look forward to his sessions on the radio. Just won't be the same..

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 27 2013 12:59 AM

Stumps score is 9/164. Not very good.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 27 2013 01:14 AM

It looks great to me, oz. For the first time in the series I was able to look at the score when I woke up without groaning in despair. If only England didn't have to bat again!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 27 2013 02:42 AM

I don't think Brad Haddin can save Australia this time

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Dec 27 2013 03:21 AM

Still another innings to go. All is not lost (yet).

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Dec 28 2013 04:09 AM

What a good day for Australia after being bowled this morning Australia then bowled out England for 179 Australia needs 201 for victory

Nathan Lyon took 5 wickets & he picked up his 100th Test wicket

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Dec 28 2013 09:44 PM

Australia has won the 4th Ashes Test by 8 wickets after Australia chased down the target 231 with a day & a half left

Chris Rogers made 116 in the 2nd innings
Posted by: 1nn1

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Dec 28 2013 10:23 PM

bit of a a turn around 0-3 to 4-0 in less than 6 months
How much is due to Boof, the new Australian coach?

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Dec 29 2013 01:07 AM

True, but how much is also the Aussie pitches? The upcoming series in South Africa should answer a few questions.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Dec 29 2013 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle

He's simply channeling Dennis Lillee and Merv Hughes through the mo and it's working! wink

I struggled to take him seriously without the mo but now I can't look at him without cringing. crazy

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Dec 29 2013 04:40 AM

A favorite question from my younger son - a keen junior cricketer - is 'dad, how would you face X?' When the 'X' is Mitchell Johnson, my answer is 'from beside the Square Leg Umpire!'. He has been very fast and very aggressive. More importantly, he has been moving the ball with considerable control. Full credit to D.K. Lillee who has been spending a lot of time with Mitch.

I've been very busy eating humble pie as I was very critical of the selection of both Johnson and Haddin. Along with Warner, those two have been the players who have consistently performed in all four tests thus far.

I'll be very interested in what pitches are prepared for the games in South Africa. Sporty wickets will lead to short tests I think as Steyn/Philander/Morkel would dominate our batting line-up, but Johnson/Siddle/Harris would give the SA line-up plenty of grief too.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Dec 30 2013 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeMaster99

I've been very busy eating humble pie as I was very critical of the selection of both Johnson and Haddin. Along with Warner, those two have been the players who have consistently performed in all four tests thus far.

But they were far from consistent before the Ashes so you were right to be critical.

Looking forward to Sydney - I'd like at least one close test. There was a moment in the Boxing Day one that England were on top but I want one to come down to the last day.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jan 02 2014 05:06 PM

5th Ashes Test: England has won the toss & are bowling first

England Changes:

In:
Gary Ballance
Scott Borthwick
Boyd Rankin

Out:
Joe Root
Tim Bresnan
Monty Panesar

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jan 03 2014 01:03 AM

5th Ashes Test:Australia all out for 326 (Steve Smith 115,Brad Haddin 75 & Ben Stokes gets 6 wickets for England) Australia were at one stage down 5/97 before Haddin & Smith saved the innings

England at Stumps on Day 1 are 1/8

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jan 03 2014 06:29 PM

England are now 5/23 and looking like they don't really want to be there.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jan 03 2014 10:13 PM

England are all out for a pathetic 155. Only two players got more than 20, neither of them being recognised batsmen.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jan 03 2014 10:24 PM

Ben Stokes almost saved the day for England again but England trail by 171

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Fri Jan 03 2014 11:22 PM

Australia are now 2/47 with both Warner & Watson out

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 02:28 AM

5th Ashes Test Day 2:England were all out for 155, England at one stage were 5/23

Australia ended Day 2 at 4/140 Chris Rogers 73no Australia leads by 311 runs

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 07:17 AM

Originally Posted By: ozzz2002
England are all out for a pathetic 155. Only two players got more than 20, neither of them being recognised batsmen.

Bit stiff there. Stokes is the only guy to score a century for the Poms this tour, I'd probably say that's recognised!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 07:26 AM

5th Ashes Test: England has won the toss & are bowling first

England Changes:

In:
Gary Ballance
Scott Borthwick
Boyd Rankin

Out:
Joe Root
Tim Bresnan
Monty Panesar

The story is that Monty had an injury from training. Root has been absolutely kicked in the guts. He was a middle-order player who was pushed up to open in the English summer, then pushed down to the middle order over here. He was then shunted to 3, and on the back of everyone else failing, was dropped for this game! Mark my words, it will be a brief interruption, and he'll be the backbone of the side from Test #1 next series.
And why was Borthwick picked? He's a part-time spinner at best, and had been spanked in Sydney Grade cricket this season. James Tredwell was flown out for the ODIs, and is a good, tight, experienced offie. A bit like Lyon.....

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 02:40 PM

Bit stiff there. Stokes is the only guy to score a century for the Poms this tour, I'd probably say that's recognised!

But the first five could not even manage 20 runs between them. smile

When will Clarke declare? I reckon sometime around tea- we should be about 700 in front by then.
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 04:44 PM

And I still say how can anyone score 700???

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

It depends on the ability of the opposition, and maybe even more on their morale. Against England at present, it might not be impossible.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 08:29 PM

Day 4 5th Ashes Test:Australia are all out for 276 England needs 448 runs to win with 2 days to go

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: dg_dave

Back in 1938, England scored 903 runs with the loss of only 7 wickets. They declared at the time (meaning they thought they had enough runs) and Australia only scored 201 and 123 in their innings. England won. It still stands as the record test innings score. This all occurred at The Oval in London.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 08:53 PM

England are down 1/11 with Alistair Cook gone

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 09:55 PM

Scoring 700 will be more than enough for England in this innings! They're currently 3 for 59 (or 59 for 3) needing another 389 runs. Hopefully they can hang on long enough for a couple more commentary stints from 'Skull'.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 10:38 PM

England is now 5/90

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 10:41 PM

6 for....

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 10:44 PM

Sorry, correction. 7 for 95. That's 4 wickets in 2 overs!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 10:45 PM

7/95 looks like England not even trying now

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 10:59 PM

Well England has made it to 100 they are 7/106 with Australia needs just 2 hours to win the Ashes Series 5-0

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 11:11 PM

8 fer
Tick.... Tick.... Won't be long now! smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 11:22 PM

England 9/166 1 wicket to go

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 11:24 PM

There it is Australia has won 5-0 England all out for 166

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 11:25 PM

*HAPPY DANCE*
i'm actually tearing up! The virtual drinks are on me. wink

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 11:31 PM

I'll have one (or several) please, Tizzabelle!
A marvelous turnaround after losing 3-0 in England.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 11:34 PM

I don't think any of this would've happen under Mickey Arthur coaching Australia

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 04 2014 11:36 PM

*slaps virtual credit card down on the table*
I'm so happy for Boof Lehmann smile He's just what they needed. A bit of agro, fun and teamwork rather than science and homework wink

Apologies to England if we're gloating a little.. it's been a while! All in good fun, truly. Nothing better than an Ashes series! Cya next time smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jan 05 2014 04:26 AM

Go ahead and gloat. That must rank as the most pathetic effort from an England team that I've ever (not) seen. I've even avoided the highlights programmes on the basis that there aren't any. Well done Australia.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jan 05 2014 04:37 AM

Cheers rossian. The Pimms and lemonades are on me smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jan 05 2014 05:28 AM

Everyone is suddenly down on Cook as captain, but they've only lost one series. If he has a weakness, it's that he's too nice, and not ruthless like captains of yore. The thing is, as well, that there is no-one around as an obvious successor. The Australian thinking has generally been that you pick the best 11 and then choose the captain from that, and England started to adhere to that theory for the past 20 years or so (Gooch, Atherton, Stewart, Hussain, Vaughan etc).
Now, the best players in the team are Cook, Bell, Pietersen, Anderson and Broad. Bell is so NOT a captain, Pietersen was tried and flicked, and still might announce his retirement soon, and Anderson has enough on his plate leading the attack. Which leads us to the current T20 captain, Broad.
He's a world-class player, he can inspire, and he's hated in Australia. On second thought, he's a perfect fit!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jan 05 2014 06:36 AM

Broad is the name I've heard floated. Unless the players make some effort, though, I'm not sure the captain can make much difference.

Thanks for the drink, Tiz. Sorrows are being duly drowned.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jan 05 2014 05:22 PM

Well, that was pants. Congratulations, Australia - I'm sure you deserved it only like Rossian I couldn't bear to watch so I'll take it on trust.

Mine's a gin, ta. cry

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jan 07 2014 12:31 AM

I am sort of a bit cheesed that England capitulated so quickly. I had such high hopes for a close and exciting series.

And I wish I could see what the rest of the country sees in Mitchell Johnson - perhaps if he took the mo off I could take him a bit more seriously! crazy

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jan 07 2014 12:48 AM

And I wish I could see what the rest of the country sees in Mitchell Johnson - perhaps if he took the mo off I could take him a bit more seriously! crazy

Yeah, he does look like one of the Village People, eh? smile

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jan 07 2014 12:56 AM

Quote:
Yeah, he does look like one of the Village People, eh?

laugh True, but I wouldn't care if he bowled wearing a tutu or borrowed Ronald McDonald's clown suit as long as the results are there wink
Posted by: 1nn1

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jan 07 2014 04:37 AM

This quiz on the recent 5-0 whitewash may be of interest
http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Spo...-14-355013.html

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jan 07 2014 05:25 AM

Yeah, he does look like one of the Village People, eh? smile

"Mitchell-Mitchell Man. I wanna be a Mitchell Man!".

And guess what movie Leau and I watched on NYE...."You can't stop the wickets. Nobody can stop the wickets!"

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Jan 08 2014 03:59 AM

If anyone ever listened to ABC grandstand and was a fan of Kerry O,Keefe then you'll know he retired as of the last test. They did a fun farewell to him that is a podcast on iTunes now.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Jan 08 2014 04:38 AM

If anyone ever listened to ABC grandstand and was a fan of Kerry O,Keefe then you'll know he retired as of the last test. They did a fun farewell to him that is a podcast on iTunes now.

I've downloaded it. On the Grandstand website, there is also a poll for people to vote for their favourite Kerry moment, which you can listen to.

On the Saturday of the last Test, I drove back from Sydney, and of course, listened to the cricket all the way. Kerry gave us one final gem -
After listening to a cross to the Brisbane International Tennis tournament, Kerry comes out with, "And in Brisbane, Australian qualifier, Marinko Matosevic, will be playing Croatian qualifier, Joe Smith". laugh

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jan 09 2014 04:01 AM

good on them for helping out smile
I do wonder what they said to him though "mate, we just lost the ashes five nil ... you think you've got problems?!!!"
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/engl...0109-30i4a.html

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jan 09 2014 06:16 AM

A mate of mine suggested that the man they saved from jumping was Alastair Cook!

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sat Jan 11 2014 09:08 PM

The 5 match ODI series has began & England is batting first

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Sun Jan 12 2014 11:16 AM

Last night Australia beat England again by 6 wickets after Australia chase down the target of 270 set by England in the 1st ODI

Aaron Finch made 121 last night for Australia

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Mon Jan 13 2014 09:52 PM

The English womens cricket side defeated Australia yesterday to go 1-0 in the Ashes series

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jan 14 2014 05:18 AM

England beat the PM's XI by 172 runs in Canberra today.

BRING BACK JOHN HOWARD AS PM!!! cry

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jan 14 2014 05:34 AM

England won a match? I've given up checking!

Bopara 4 wickets for 3 runs. I suspect that won't happen when it matters.

On the positive side, it's good to see the younger members in Ballance and Buttler (spellcheck hates both those names) getting the runs.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jan 14 2014 07:48 AM

England beat the PM's XI by 172 runs in Canberra today.

BRING BACK JOHN HOWARD AS PM!!! cry

Oh yes, please bring him back. It tends to bring the best out in England when he's PM; we like his face when he's forced to present us with the Rugby World Cup. grin

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Tue Jan 14 2014 09:04 PM

Why don't they do a tri-series for the ODIs any more?

What do you think will happen in South Africa? Will Australia be able to dominate like they have on home soil?
The last year have been big on the home side winning but will Kallis not being in the side make a difference?

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Jan 15 2014 03:47 AM

Why don't they do a tri-series for the ODIs any more?

What do you think will happen in South Africa? Will Australia be able to dominate like they have on home soil?
The last year have been big on the home side winning but will Kallis not being in the side make a difference?

They raised an interesting point in the paper today. Kallis was expected to retire after the series against Australia, not before. It's left the SA selectors in a bit of a quandary, because the aren't sure what type of player to replace him with. Should they bring in a specialist batsman, should they bring in a specialist wicketkeeper, or should they bring in another paceman? They already have a specialist batsman at 7, so maybe a wicketkeeper could come in and allow de Villiers to play as a bat only. Trouble is, de Villiers WANTS to keep. And a specialist paceman would upset the balance of the side, as you would then have the tail starting at 7.
There is also the factors for SA that Steyn has a broken rib, and de Villiers has a hand injury, but both are expected to be fit for the series.

They dumped the Tri-series concept a few years ago when they decided that no-one was watching ODIs anymore. The games featuring Australia were well-patronised, but the games featuring the two touring teams were ratings disasters for Channel 9. I think they will come back, because ODIs haved proved to be more popular than the "experts" thought they were.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Wed Jan 15 2014 11:44 PM

Quote:
They dumped the Tri-series concept a few years ago when they decided that no-one was watching ODIs anymore. The games featuring Australia were well-patronised, but the games featuring the two touring teams were ratings disasters for Channel 9. I think they will come back, because ODIs haved proved to be more popular than the "experts" thought they were.

Now with the extra free to air channels it might solve that problem .. whack the visiting team games on gem or go?

Has anyone been watching the Big Bash? I reckon that channel ten haven't done such a bad job of the coverage. I am slowly coming around to Twenty20 - I don't necessarily think it's great for a player's tactical game but it does have its place.

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jan 16 2014 01:44 AM

Channel 10 has done a good job with The Big Bash i love hearing Ricky Pointing,Mark Waugh & Adam Gilchrist along with Viv Richards doing the commentary

The only thing wrong with The Big Bash is the Million Dollar Six Catch with the celebrity in the ring in the crowd

Re: The Ashes 2013 - Thu Jan 16 2014 03:36 AM

The Big Bash has been great this season. But it really annoys me that a couple of guys who've played over 250 Tests between them don't even know some of the basics of the game. a left-arm finger-spinner is NOT an off-spinner, and a left-arm wrist-spinner (or chinaman bowler ala Brad Hogg) is NOT a leg-spinner!