Difficulty rating

Posted by: Scottie2306

Difficulty rating - Sun Jan 13 2013 04:57 PM

Can anyone tell me where I can find a guide to the levels of difficulty of quizzes - e.g. is a "tough" quiz harder than a "difficult" one?

Thanks

Eileen
Posted by: WesleyCrusher

Re: Difficulty rating - Sun Jan 13 2013 05:11 PM

http://www.funtrivia.com/feedback_act.cfm?action=submit&opt1=cat56&opt2=34

The order is (easiest to hardest): Simple, Very Easy, Easy, Average, Tough, Difficult, Very Difficult, Impossible.

Note that the scale is somewhat symmetrical: The two ratings involving a "Very" are second from each end and their counterparts without the "Very" are the third from the end.
Posted by: gracious1

Re: Difficulty rating - Sun Jan 13 2013 07:15 PM

I don't think I've seen a "Simple" quiz. Has anyone else?
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: Difficulty rating - Sun Jan 13 2013 07:23 PM

I have, probably somewhere in the For Children section.
Posted by: reeshy

Re: Difficulty rating - Sun Jan 13 2013 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: gracious1
I don't think I've seen a "Simple" quiz. Has anyone else?

Surely fewer than 10. I've only seen them very rarely, and it tends to be when the quiz first goes online, as later plays mean more wrong answer and a change to "Very Easy".

Re: Difficulty rating - Sun Jan 13 2013 08:40 PM

I've seen a "simple" or two in the past but recently tried to find one for something I'm working on and came up empty. On the other hand, there are also far fewer Impossibles than there once were - I needed a good lot of those for the same thing as well and mostly had to settle for Very Difficult.

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 12:37 AM

Okay, I'll try to write one. (Impossible, that is.) wink
Posted by: Snowman

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 06:51 AM

I have one impossible in my collection if you are still looking.
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 06:58 AM

Why?

I had a couple and they ranked very badly. They have since been 'promoted' to Very Hard but still a long way from getting sunnies.
Posted by: skunkee

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 08:51 AM

Many players tend to avoid Impossible quizzes - you may find it lingering without enough ratings to register. I only play them in topics that I know very, very well.
Posted by: salami_swami

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 10:32 AM

I have four quizzes ranked impossible. These are typically wordplay quizzes in brain teasers and music. They do not fair well.

I have 12 very difficult; those vary greatly in rating.

I have never had a simple rating, but tons of very easy.

Simple used to be quite common, and you'd see it in almost every wordplay for kids quiz. Nowadays, I haven't seen one. I for some reason think that I remember once Terry saying he removed simple rating. I am probably just going crazy, but that is what I recall. smile
Posted by: agony

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 01:28 PM

I've got a memory like that, too, ss.
Posted by: skunkee

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 07:50 PM

I also have a vague memory of things being re-jigged so that what was once simple became very easy and so on up the chain. I remember a lot of my quizzes changing at the time.
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 08:01 PM

I remember when an "Average" quiz was 5 or 6 of 10. Now it's 7 at least. A quiz of 10/10 is now classed "Very Easy" and I haven't seen a "Simple" quiz since that algorithm change.
Posted by: trident

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 08:07 PM

I seem to remember that too. I think there was an effort to make a lot more quizzes rated Average so that there was less bias in terms of rating quizzes.
Posted by: salami_swami

Re: Difficulty rating - Mon Jan 14 2013 08:54 PM

At least I'm not going completely insane. Or, perhaps, I need to start an asylum for me and my supporters! ;-)
Posted by: Scottie2306

Re: Difficulty rating - Tue Jan 15 2013 12:36 AM

Thank you all. That answered my question nicely
Posted by: rossian

Re: Difficulty rating - Tue Jan 15 2013 02:04 AM

The information about the change in the rating algorithm probably answers something which has puzzled me for a while. As a gold member, I can access 'my detailed quiz playing statistics'. This gives me a percentage breakdown of the quizzes I've played and how I've done overall.

It also lists my own quizzes, and the ratings on there are (as far as I can tell) one rating easier than the usual list. I've always known it isn't as accurate (sunnies end at 10,000, for example) and I rarely look at it, but I think you've explained why the ratings differ. There are no 'Simple' ratings there, though.

Re: Difficulty rating - Wed Jan 16 2013 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: ozzz2002

Why?

Because Wes needs one!

Re: Difficulty rating - Wed Jan 16 2013 08:32 PM

No, that part is long done and finished. I just took the Very Difficult ones smile