Which category??

Posted by: poshprice

Which category?? - Sun Feb 10 2013 08:31 AM

I have written a quiz that I first envisaged going into Hobbies' History of Food category, as it was originally meant to be about dieting throughout the ages. Most of the questions do relate to this, but there are some more historical-type questions, which relate to advertisements and the concept of obesity. I have no idea if it still belongs in this category, or somewhere else. I need some help from the FT editors and experienced members, pretty please smile
Posted by: bloomsby

Re: Which category?? - Sun Feb 10 2013 09:18 AM

It sounds like Hobbies to me.

History and People Editor
Posted by: kyleisalive

Re: Which category?? - Sun Feb 10 2013 09:23 AM

Agreed with the Hobbies idea.

At the grandest, grandest stretch, it could perhaps fit 'Global Trivia' (World), but it really does depend on the content of the quiz.
Posted by: poshprice

Re: Which category?? - Sun Feb 10 2013 09:33 AM

Thank you both, that's a great help. I'll be submitting it to Hobbies then. Thanks again. smile
Posted by: gracious1

Re: Which category?? - Tue Feb 12 2013 02:55 AM

So dieting is a hobby, is it? Well, I suppose if it keeps you off the streets. wink
Posted by: gracious1

Re: Which category?? - Tue Feb 12 2013 04:24 PM

Hey, wait! I just had a flash. You're right, it is a hobby or at least a FITNESS activity, and so actually it makes sense that it would go in the Exercise and Fitness sub-category. It's not about food per se; it's about the activity of restricting one's eating in order to achieve fitness goals.
Posted by: kyleisalive

Re: Which category?? - Tue Feb 12 2013 04:49 PM

It depends on the approach taken to the topic; in previous cases, Diet quizzes have gone to food simply because of the subject matter of the quiz. While diets do affect health and well-being, they usually work separately, but in tandem with exercise and fitness. It's also a bit limiting to look at diets as 'restrictions', but I guess that's the way they're marketed.

My roommate is a personal trainer, so I've been getting earfuls.

Either way, in this case it's very, very likely Hobbies, but it would be very easy to swing it into a Nutrition quiz in Sci/Tech with the proper spin. Or Global Trivia. Or other options.
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: Which category?? - Tue Feb 12 2013 05:59 PM

I must be one of those rare ones that have been eating more and weighing less. I've seen a Mexican food TV dinner that is 18oz. of food and less than 600 calories!

Edit to add: maybe it's because I walk twice a week at a mall, just as I am now. wink