Who Am I - Content Issues

Posted by: JMElston

Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Feb 05 2010 03:30 AM

Please put corrections & comments for the Who Am I? game here. There is a discussion thread, '"Who am I" Discussion', for the new game format if you want to add your comments about the game there. Terry will probably pay more attention to that string. Comments on game content belong here. Thank you.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: Julia103

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Feb 22 2010 05:11 PM

Earl of Arundel & Surrey

Your answer: British nobility; heir to the Duke of Norfolk

I was surprised to see this because Earl of Arundel & Surrey is a position or title. I haven't seen other questions that don't have an individual's name.

Wikipedia says the current Earl of Arundel is Henry Fitzalan-Howard, so (assuming that's accurate) I would have expected to see his name.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Feb 22 2010 06:40 PM

The nobility & royalty are one of my problem areas. I fix these when I run across them or if someone points them out. Hopefully, the new entry is more acceptable. Thanks.

If you come across other cases please post them here.

Happy WAI Correction Trivia!
Posted by: lesley153

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Feb 28 2010 05:24 PM

Anne McCaffrey
American science fiction author; 'Dragonriders of Pern'

An old friend, another sci-fi writer who lives in London, has met her, and he's never been to America, so I checked...

She was born in Cambridge, Mass, but filed for divorce, and came to Ireland, in August 1970. So perhaps she could be described as an American-born writer?
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Feb 28 2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

The nobility & royalty are one of my problem areas. I fix these when I run across them or if someone points them out. Hopefully, the new entry is more acceptable. Thanks.

If you come across other cases please post them here.

I would have said you could leave the Earl of Arundel out of a famous persons' list altogether and no one would care, including him. The Duke of Norfolk is notable mainly because he is the premier Duke in England (i.e. in order of precedence he's the most senior nobleman who isn't also royal) and because he's the Earl Marshal, which is one of the great offices of state. It's the Earl Marshal's office that organises coronations and state openings of Parliament.

But the heir to the dukedom is of no significance whatsoever... until he inherits.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Feb 28 2010 11:54 PM

On Anne McCaffrey, Wikipedia still indicates American. I checked various sources (Amazon, B&N, fan sites, etc.) and didn't find any specific info. I left a question on her Official Site as to nationality, but since it isn't a question about her writing I'm not sure that I'll get an answer. I'll leave the entry as it is for the moment, but if new info comes along, I'll certainly update it.

As for the Earl's entry, yes, it probably wouldn't be missed. There are many of that kind of entry in the database. Unless he turns up to be very difficult to identify (which probably isn't the case) he can stay. Of course, if he becomes the Duke, I'll need to update his entry.

I've sent Terry a file with 1976 new entries to add. There are a number of obscure entries in the file. Many were suggested by players. I deleted over 600 entries from my original pool due to duplication, ambiguity & obscurity. I don't know when the new entries will begin showing up. That's up to Terry. I expect a lot of complaints and corrections to follow closely after they appear.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: agony

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Mar 01 2010 12:03 AM

The little bio blurb on McCaffrey's books usually mentions Ireland, but not America. I would have had no idea she was an American.
Posted by: queproblema

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Mar 01 2010 12:57 AM

According to Wikipedia she was in her mid-40s when she moved to Ireland, so I'd say that makes her an American ex-pat.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 05 2010 05:35 AM

British charity worker; founded childrenıs home in Peru

(typo: should be children's)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 05 2010 10:51 AM

A.... G......'s entry has been fixed.

There was a "’" rather than a "'" (they appear very similar on my screen). I don't even know how to get a "’" on my keyboard ("’" copied from previous text not typed here). It occurred in three other entries including one name. I fixed those as well.

Thanks for the catch.

Happy New WAI trivia!
Posted by: Starlord

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 06 2010 12:47 AM

After today's WAI I'm going to start choosing the Difficult set of questions. They can't be much harder than the Easy set as there were 8 people I didn't have a clue as to their identities. I might as well get more points for playing the Difficult set.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 06 2010 03:37 AM

Perhaps the new entries are sneaking into the easy sets. I think Terry's selection algorithm is supposed to prevent that, but I'm not sure.

The three Champ sets that I've had contained 3, 7 & 6 new entries. Today's set was very difficult for me. I took 198 seconds, and I still missed an entry from my last year's database addition.

How much fun would the game be if it wasn't challenging?

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: Anton

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Mar 08 2010 01:01 PM

Easy is no longer easy. Might as well scratch it.
Posted by: looney_tunes

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Mar 09 2010 04:48 AM

I am still getting 0 or 1 wrong every time. They look easy to me!
Posted by: Anton

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Mar 09 2010 11:37 AM

Before Terry changed it, I was getting 15/15 with blazing speeds. Now, I can't get a 15/15 if my life depended on it. It used to be easy, and now it isn't.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Mar 09 2010 11:46 AM

Well, I've seen every entry in the database. I tend to get 14/15 in 140 seconds. Be happy with what you can do, learn a thing or two if possible & try to improve while having FUN!

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: Midget40

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Mar 10 2010 12:10 AM

Easy is definately easier as far as I'm concerned. I can get 14 and 15 right consistently now and I couldn't before.

Maybe you'd just memorised the entries in the other game Anton or these are less US specific which would explain why I find them easier.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Mar 10 2010 04:59 PM

This is nit-picky but the listing "African-American educator; civil right's advocate" should say "civil rights' advocate" since she advocated many civil rights, not just one

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 12 2010 10:19 AM

Really happy with how it's turning out last couple of days (the hard option). The number of names I actually know is quite high, but the chances of just guessing right on the ones I don't know are less than they have been - there's more than one Italian, more than one woman, etc. Just right.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 12 2010 12:23 PM

Julia103, I've just corrected a few "civil rights' activist" entries, but none of them matched the one you cited. If you recall the name, send it to me and I'll fix it. I'll search a few other files to see what I turn up.

As for the selection algorithm, I'm finding it just about right, but we should probably keep that quiet or Terry will make it a lot harder.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: Lochalsh

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 12 2010 12:44 PM

Could the civil rights advocate have been Mary McLeod Bethune? Just guessing ....

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 12 2010 02:44 PM

Mary McLeod Bethune was the entry in question. Thank you.

Happy New WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 12 2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Mary McLeod Bethune was the entry in question. Thank you.

You're welcome.
Posted by: Buddy1

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Mar 14 2010 01:24 PM

Not really a mistake but two of the answers in one of my questions was "Equine Triple Crown winner". From prior experience, I know there are several Equine Triple Crown winners listed in the game. The question I had did not involve Equine Triple Crown winners, so neither answer was correct, but there might come a time in which one of those answers are correct, and I (or someone) choses the "wrong" right answer.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Mar 14 2010 03:52 PM

When this happens you 'know' that it can't be either of those answers. This is actually an aid to the player, who can use duplicated tags to eliminate possibilities as the correct answer.

If two or more choices contain the same main role or occupation (actor/actress, singer, politician, etc.), none of the duplicates can be the correct answer. Terry has kept this quirk in the game since the beginning. The 'Equine Triple Crown winner' sticks out because there are 7 of them in the database with that identical description. Know that you know this fact, you can use it to your advantage in the game. It is one of several built-in learned 'tricks'.

You should keep this a secret, of course.

Happy New WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 26 2010 05:41 PM

Bartolomeu de Gusmao
Your answer: Brazilian Portuguese-Brazilian priest; naturalist; balloonist

This sounds redundant. Is there a distinction between Brazilian Portuguese-Brazilians and other Portuguese-Brazilians?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 26 2010 06:40 PM

I'm not sure where that came from. I cleaned up the entry a bit. Thanks for pointing it out.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 27 2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

African-American film & TV actor; kown as 'Sleep 'n' Eat'

Just a typo, "kown" should be "known".

(Haven't posted the answer in the interest of not giving it away, but reckon you can find the entry without it )

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 27 2010 01:13 PM

Typo fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Happy WAI Typo Trivia!
Posted by: triviapaul

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Mar 28 2010 12:25 PM

"Joseph Justus Scaliger
The correct answer was Dutch religious leader; scholar; historian"

Most sources would call him French. He was also mostly a historian, humanist, philosopher and maybe a religious scholar, but not a religious leader.

Keep up the good work JME!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Mar 28 2010 03:25 PM

The Dutch tag probably came from him appearing on a Dutch stamp. I didn't miss many of these, but a few obviously got past me. Wikipedia calls him a 'religious leader and scholar' as well as an historian. Reading through his entry, I would agree with you that he was more a religious scholar than leader. I corrected his entry. Thanks for catching the error.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: Mink

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 14 2010 12:56 AM

A stray square symbol in one of today's:

15. Esteban Echeverra

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 14 2010 01:32 AM

That was an accented 'i' that needed to be replaced. I'll check for others like that. Thanks.

Happy New WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Apr 17 2010 12:41 PM

I was amused today to have one of the "initials are..." clues today and have two names with those initials among the choices. I'm wondering if this was coincidence or whether Terry did something to the algorithm for the harder sets. (This was in set 22.)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Apr 17 2010 01:44 PM

I'm sure it is just a coincidence. I make sure there aren't any cases of 'initials are XX' with the same initials. There are less than 70 'initials are XX' entries in 9100+ total entries, but obviously some initial combinations are common enough to cause possible confusion. I'm afraid we will just have to live with it.

Hopefully, Terry doesn't decide to enhance the difficulty of these.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: pyonir

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Apr 20 2010 04:53 PM

Frantcysk Skaryna

According to Wikipedia his first name has no "t" in it, Francysk Skaryna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francysk_Skaryna

also;

Alois Senefelder - Austrian actor; playwright; invented lithography

According to Wikipedia he was German (but born in Prague):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alois_Senefelder

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 21 2010 01:17 AM

I've made corrections to both entries. Thanks for catching those.

Happy New WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 28 2010 03:29 PM

I had Yuen Biao. The answer said he was from "Honk Kong" and I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be "Hong Kong".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 28 2010 03:49 PM

I've corrected the Yuen Biao entry. Thanks for catching that.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: triviapaul

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Apr 29 2010 01:26 PM

I've got a spelling thingy:

12. British poetess; ctitic
Your answer: Dame Edith Sitwell

I'm sure Dame Edith would object to being called ctitic

Whoa Mi!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Apr 29 2010 02:32 PM

I've corrected the Dame Edith Sitwell
entry. Thanks for catching that.

I think that entries used in the game are cached, so changes won't show up until the next game.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: queproblema

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 01 2010 06:10 PM

Do people like these giveaway questions?

American inventor of the 'Gallup' opinion poll
George Gallup, obviously.

American businesswoman; co-founded the Estee Lauder Co.
Who of the listed but Estee Lauder?

I would prefer:
American inventor of a widely watched opinion poll
American businesswoman; co-founded a cosmetic company

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 01 2010 08:27 PM

There are several types of 'gimmie' entries in the game. The self-references you cite are one type. There are 150 to 200 of those in 9100+ entries.

Another type is the 'initials are XX'. There are less than 70 of those in the game. I added them to keep some of my 'obscure' favorite entries from being totally deleted. I've missed two of them in game play, so even easy entries can be difficult.

Clergy, Nobles, & Royalty are a larger segment. Many entries in these categories are very obvious.

These entries exist to give players just starting in the game some easy questions. This can backfire if a player thinks there might be a trick to the question.

If you don't like easy questions, play the difficult level. You won't see many easy entries there except for those from the recent database add or edited entries which haven't been rated yet.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: salami_swami

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 04 2010 09:52 AM

Spelling error... Laura Moffat should be Laura Moffatt. :-)
Posted by: paper_aero

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 04 2010 10:01 AM

Probably my mistake when submitting it (we have a different name for her round here)

Also Laura won't be an MP after Thursday - she isn't standing for re-election.
(I live in the constituency)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 04 2010 10:25 AM

I've corrected her entry. Thanks for the info.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: darksplash

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 08 2010 03:36 PM

There is a question the correct answer to which is "Your answer: Filipino former First Lady; former beauty queen & model; shoe collector"

A female person from The Phillipines is a "Filipina".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 08 2010 06:10 PM

I had "Rainer Maria Rilke" and the correct answer said that he was German. However, he was born in Prague, which is in the Czech Republic.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 08 2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

I had "Rainer Maria Rilke" and the correct answer said that he was German. However, he was born in Prague, which is in the Czech Republic.

Yes, you're right... but that doesn't make him a Czech. As a result of different Empires expanding and contracting across different countries and hundreds of years, many Germans lived in places we now regard as different countries. Rilke was a German poet who was part of a German family living in Prague when it was in Bohemia which was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire - saying Rilke was a Czech would not be correct.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun May 09 2010 01:12 AM

Quote:

There is a question the correct answer to which is "Your answer: Filipino former First Lady; former beauty queen & model; shoe collector"

A female person from The Phillipines is a "Filipina".

Correction made. Thanks for noting this.

Happy New WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 11 2010 04:50 AM

From yesterday:

"Italian-boen French singer-songwriter; former model; wife of the current French President"

I'm somewhat surprised that none of the 48 players reported this. I've fixed the typo.

Happy New WAI Trivia!
Posted by: darthrevan89

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 20 2010 07:59 AM

Noticed this small typo in my set today:

Cheshire Cat
Your answer: Fictional character; cat in 'Alice's Asventures in Wonderland' by Lewis Carroll

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 20 2010 10:03 AM

Typo corrected. I also changed 'cat' in the entry to something less obvious.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 25 2010 03:47 PM

'French physicist; matematician; SI unit of electric current named for him'.

'matematician' corrected to 'mathematician'.

Happy New WAI Typo Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 29 2010 01:41 PM

"American lawyer; sports administrator; 5th commissioner of Major Leagur Baseball"

Typo: should be Major League

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 29 2010 02:13 PM

Typo corrected. Thanks for noting it.

Happy WAI Typo Trivia!
Posted by: supersal1

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jun 01 2010 03:41 PM

British columnist; agony aunt; 'Dear Marie'

Should be 'Dear Marje'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jun 01 2010 08:38 PM

Correction made. Thanks for catching that error.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 03 2010 02:31 AM

Danish Princess; Greek Queen; wife of King Constantine II of Greece

Your answer: Anne-Marie of Qreece

I believe she is more likely tt be 'of Greece' than 'of Qreece'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 03 2010 04:53 AM

That was certainly an odd typo. Entry corrected. Thanks for noting it.

Happy WAI Typo Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jun 08 2010 02:38 AM

Kenesaw Mountain Landis

is defined as

American hurist; judge; first commissioner of pro baseball

I have never heard of a hurist, and suspect it should be a jurist

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jun 08 2010 04:08 AM

Entry corrected. Thanks for noting it.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jun 11 2010 03:43 PM

"American comic book artist & wtiter; created Batman". Typo corrected.

Happy WAI Trivia!
Posted by: daBomb619

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 17 2010 02:12 PM

"Norwegian politician; three time Prime Minister; Nobel Prize-winner"

Your answer: Hjalmar Branting

He was Swedish, not Norwegian.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 17 2010 03:56 PM

Entry corrected. Thanks for catching that.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jun 23 2010 04:45 AM

'Soviet-born Ukrainian pro Champion heavyweight boxed'.

'boxed' corrected to 'boxer'.

Happy WAI Trivia!
Posted by: 1cyprus

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jul 13 2010 10:32 AM

Irish Thoroughbred racehorse; steeplechaser

Leon Trotsky
Arkle
Jacques Delors
Red Rum
Toni Morrison
Arianna Huffington

Both Arkle and Red Rum were Irish born horses and steeplechasers.Unfair to have both appear in that question, even if Red Rum has a seperate question.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 14 2010 12:16 PM

I added 'steeplechaser' to Red Rum. In theory that should keep the two (Red Rum & Arkle) from turning up together.

These problems come up from time to time. I try to be somewhat consistent in my wording, but I miss some cases, obviously. Thanks for pointing this out.

Happy(?) WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jul 18 2010 11:25 AM

In case other players also ran across this entry, William Feilding will be replaced due to ambiguity and obscurity. He will still show up in a set in today's game due to being cached.

Happy WAI Trivia!
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jul 20 2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

13. Alain Delon
Your answer: French 'Tough Guy' stage, film & TV actor; 'Scoprio' & 'Borsalino & Co.'

Should be 'Scorpio'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 21 2010 02:36 AM

The Alain Delon entry was corrected. Thanks.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 23 2010 02:20 PM

Entry for Baudhayana corrected.

Happy WAI Trivia!
Posted by: mehaul

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jul 26 2010 04:37 PM

The answer for Edward G. Robinson says he was American only. He was born in Romania and didn't come to America until he was 10 years old. His real name was Emmanuel Goldberg. I should think that he would correctly be referred to as a Romanian-American.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jul 26 2010 06:14 PM

Edward G. Robinson's entry was updated. Thank you for noting the needed change.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jul 26 2010 07:00 PM

Thank you for running the updating.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 07 2010 12:25 PM

Regarding Alberto Giacometti, one of the clues says "drsftsman" but it should most likely be "draftsman".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 07 2010 12:47 PM

Or 'draughtsman'...

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 07 2010 08:01 PM

Ethno-centric American spelling used. Thanks for catching my typo.

Happy WAI Typo Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 11 2010 01:50 AM

I could have sworn I posted this a while ago, but don't see it. I had a question about Wally Lewis today that identified him as Aistralian - last time I looked he was Australian!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 11 2010 02:53 AM

I would have corrected it if I had seen it. In any case, it is fixed now. The correction will show up after today.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 14 2010 07:23 PM

I encountered Francesca Annis today. The answer stated she is a British actress. She was born and raised until seven in Brazil. At best you could call her Brazilian-Anglo but not British.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 14 2010 07:30 PM

Being born in country X doesn't necessarily give you that country's nationality. It may do, in that some countries confer that entitlement to anyone born within their borders, but some people choose to take their parental nationality irrespective of where they were born. Francesca Annis had a British father and has lived in the UK since she was seven - she's now 65. I think she'd have said by now if she wanted to be Brazilian.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 14 2010 09:02 PM

I saw an entry in FT that didn't agree with what I felt was a reputable source in this case. I came here and mentioned what I found and suggested a correction. Was I wrong?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 14 2010 10:32 PM

Since WAI doesn't have a chat board of its own, this is the place to bring up questions about entries in the game. I rely (perhaps undeservedly) on Wikipedia as a major source. Checking there for Francesca Annis we see that it indicates that indeed she is a 'Brazilian-born British actress'. Her mother was Brazilian-French. I've updated her WAI entry accordingly. The X-born tags add some information and variety to lots of similar entries. I try to include the phrases when they are warranted.

I'm sure that eventually some mischievous malefactor is going to edit a Wiki-entry and then use that as a point to have an entry changed. I will not be amused in that case. wink

WAI entries are NOT set in stone. Many need to be updated from time to time due to changes over time or due to originally incorrect information. I appreciate players pointing out possible problems, so that I can check out possible 'errors' and fix them.

A point that may not be obvious, my database changes evidently don't show up immediately in game play. Current quiz sets are 'cached' and I can't touch them. Any changes that I make in entries will show up in the next days play or later.

I should also add that I continue to collect names for new entries to be added to the game, eventually. I have over 500 entries left over from the last round of additions, but more names are appreciated. There are currently over 9,300 entries in the game database. I am shooting for at least 10,000 total by the end of this year. If you have candidate(s), send me a name or a list of names of people (or in some cases fictional characters, animals, etc.) that you think deserve being mentioned in WAI. There is no need to prepare elaborate descriptions. Most likely they would be greatly edited to fit the game format. If a name alone is not sufficient to identify an entry, then it is ambiguous and ruled out of the game. If you have a really 'obscure' entry, then in that case you can add explanatory material to defend your selection. You never know I might agree with you that X deserves to be in the game for reason Y. Also, if the name already occurs in the game there is no problem with you suggesting it again. One of my first steps is to check for possible duplications.

Happy WAI Editing Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Aug 15 2010 06:43 PM

Having done a little searching on who Francesca Annis is, I became interested in her and found she'd played Lady Jessica in "Dune" (which I think is the definitive Jessica portrayal) and wanted to see more of her work. So, I ordered a copy of "Krull" for that purpose. She'd be happy, I think, that I'm interested in her life work and not care so much if I think of her as Brazillian-Anglo-Franco.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 21 2010 10:50 AM

8. Scottish novelist; playwtight; screenwriter; 'Trainspotting'

Typo corrected.

Happy WAI Typo Trivia!
Posted by: JanIQ

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Aug 22 2010 06:17 AM

I encountered an entry that might become confusing. To recognise Jean-François Millet, the only clue is "French painter". What if more than one French artist appears?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Aug 22 2010 08:03 AM

Terry developed the game with that point as one of the cues to use to eliminate possible answers. If there are two or more possible answers with the same occupation (or noted feature, etc.), then neither of those answers can be the correct one. If two 'Equine Triple Crown winner' descriptions appear, then neither of them can be the correct answer. There is a slight hitch to this in the case of occupations (or features, etc.) with several different descriptors. An example of this is singers. Tenors, basses, baritones, sopranos, etc. are singers and if one or more of those tags and singer occurs in one or more other entries then all of them can be eliminated as possible correct answers. I've tried to locate all of the opera singers, etc. and add singer to their descriptions, but I'm sure that I've missed some. I think that Terry has 'equivalenced' the various voices with 'singer', but I'm not positive about that. Boxer and boxing were problems. I think that I've caught all cases of those and changed them appropriately. Also, the two terms may have been 'equivalenced', so that it won't matter.

That said, I've added to the Jean-François Millet description. If I come across an entry with a 'simple' description, I usually try to expand the entry with interesting info, if possible. I think that this makes the game more interesting and educational (and in some cases more difficult).

Thanks for bringing up this point. If you need more explanation or info, just ask.

Happy WAI Tip Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 27 2010 09:22 PM

One of my names was "Mark Rothko" and the entry said he was Latvian-born. However, he is Russian-born. Two different countries.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 28 2010 04:59 AM

The "Mark Rothko" entry has been updated. He was born September 25, 1903
Dvinsk, Vitebsk Province, Russian Empire (now Daugavpils, Latvia). Thus the confusion.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Aug 29 2010 12:36 PM

"English mathematician; philosopher; co-author od Principia Mathematica"

I fixed the typo and added single quotes around the 'Principia Mathematica'.

Posted by: rossian

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 16 2010 02:23 AM

I had Nicholas Montserrat today. The question gave two of his book titles and that his initials are NM. As this was in the 'hard set', it was a giveaway. I'm not sure what the rules are, but I don't think having the initials is necessary.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 16 2010 04:57 AM

I'm not sure why these 'gimmie' entries show up in hard sets, but they do with some regularity. There are currently about 80 'initials are XX' cases of the 9300+ entries in the game database. I started to add these when some of my favorite people began showing up with low percent correct values. I had the option of replacing them or making them easier to guess. I chose the latter path and gave some breaks to newer players. One possibility for why they show up in hard sets is that Terry lets some of the 15 questions in a hard set have any percent correct value. I don't know whether this is true or not. A reason some 'initials are XX' show up in hard sets is that any entry that I edit is thrown back into the hard set pool with a 0.0 percent correct value. This is not the case for Nicholas Montserrat's entry, since I haven't touched it in a long time.

For the time being just be happy that you and the rest of your set got a gift question, although I've managed to miss two 'initials are XX' over time.

I keep track of the initials I use, but there may be other entries in the database that have the same initials as the 'gimmie' entry. Nicholas Meyer in this case could have shown up in the wrong answer selections. I'm sure that Terry doesn't check initials to eliminate candidates for a question. I've seen three cases of this myself over time.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 16 2010 08:40 AM

No problem. As I said, I wasn't sure if this needed to be brought up. I suppose it's a case of 'the ones you know are the easy ones', so 'author of "The Cruel Sea"' was more than enough for me. For so many questions, I have to use the 'who am I not' route!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 16 2010 04:10 PM

Just a simple typo in the answer portion of:

Henry Corden

Your answer: Canadian-borm American film, voice & TV actor; took over role of Fred Flintstone

Should be "Canadian-born" not borm. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 16 2010 06:59 PM

The Henry Corden correction has been made. The amended entry will show up after today.

Thanks for catching that.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Sep 19 2010 08:40 AM

Noticed this small typo today:

Russian-borm American choreographer; balletmaster
Your answer: George Balanchine

Thanks! smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Sep 19 2010 01:03 PM

Hmmm... "Borm" seems to be a frequent typo of mine. George Balanchine's entry has been corrected. Thanks for catching the error.

Happy WAI Typo Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Sep 19 2010 08:14 PM

1. Star-duckweed

Your answer: cosmopolitan in temperate regions except north america

This definition would seem to need "plant" or something like it added.

Happy Word Wizard Trivia!

Obviously, this is in the wrong place.
Posted by: reeshy

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 07:42 AM

Just a small typo in Question Set 3 today:

English-born American Oscar-winning film actress; married many times; ' BUtterfield 8' & 'Cleopatra'

Of course, it should be "Butterfield", not "BUtterfield". I copied and pasted, so that space after the ' before Butterfield should also be mistakenly there.

EDIT: To say the entry is for Elizabeth Taylor.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 08:01 AM

Actually, "BUtterfield 8", with a capital U is the correct title, as it refers to an old-style telephone exchange in which the two capitalised letters indicate the first two digits of the phone number.

Edited to say I'm speaking with my Movie editor's hat on, as well as giving away my age...
Posted by: maninmidohio

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 08:19 AM

"BUtterfield 8" referred to a phone exchange in New York city at the time the movie was set. The phone number would have begun 288 - B = 2, and U = 8. I am sure that is why the first two letters were capitalized. The film is listed with cap BU on both IMDB and Wikipedia.
Posted by: Snowman

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 08:24 AM

The film is actually called "BUtterfield 8" not "Butterfield 8" - the entry is correct. The title is capitalised that way to demonstrate that it takes its name from a telephone exchange code (BU8).

Edit: Oops! Hadn't noticed that there were already replies on this page. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 09:49 AM

I apologize for chiming in so late on this one, but I believe the author's last name is Monsarrat rather than Montserrat. The latter name jumped out of the post at me since I'm a speaker of Catalan, and I then verified the spelling of the writer's name in multiple sources, including the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.

If "Montserrat" is just a typo here, and the name is spelled correctly in Who Am I itself, then I apologize again!

Yours aye,
Lochalsh

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted By: rossian
I had Nicholas Montserrat today. The question gave two of his book titles and that his initials are NM. As this was in the 'hard set', it was a giveaway. I'm not sure what the rules are, but I don't think having the initials is necessary.

I apologize for chiming in so late on this one, but I believe the author's last name is Monsarrat rather than Montserrat. The latter name jumped out of the post at me since I'm a speaker of Catalan, and I then verified the spelling of the writer's name in multiple sources, including the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.

If "Montserrat" is just a typo here, and the name is spelled correctly in Who Am I itself, I apologize again!

Yours aye,
Lochalsh

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 01:27 PM

No need for apology. The name is spelled correctly in the database. I should have noted the discrepancy in the previous notes.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 01:33 PM

Reeshy was correct that there was an extra space in Elizabeth Taylor's entry. I've removed it. The title, "BUtterfield 8", is correct, as others have noted.

Sorry that I'm so late in responding to these comments.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 01:45 PM

Wow, I had no idea about the "BUtterfield" thing, and as I thought it was a typo, I didn't look it up. Ah, well, you learn something new every day, right? smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: JMElston
No need for apology. The name is spelled correctly in the database. I should have noted the discrepancy in the previous notes.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Thank you, JM.

Yours aye,
Lochalsh

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 03:27 PM

Entirely my fault for spelling the name wrongly in my original post. Mea culpa.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 27 2010 06:10 PM

For the 'Butterfield8' question, is Elizabeth Taylor the correct name to use? Shouldn't it be Elizabeth Taylor Hilton Wilding Todd Fisher Burton Taylor Burton Warner Fortenski Taylor Mehaul?

On the phone dialing code with the BU: That's a correct way to refer to the system in use back then but, there was no space between the d and 8 on the end The phone number was 288, BU8 or BUtterfield8. I know wiki has it with a space between but look at the poster for the movie that accompanies the article, no space between the d and 8. My old number was ESsex6. A whole phone number would have been IChabod2-2555 with no spaces. The space break was indicated by a hyphen and came after the third digit. There was no such number as IC 2-2555, it was IC2-2555.

In fact there was a carpet cleaning company in Boston who used to advertise with a jingle of "How many cookies did Andrew eat? ANdrew8-8000" which they accompanied with a print campaign and that is how I remember seeing their number presented.

More on BUtterfield: It was based on a story written by John O'Hara in the 30's around the mysterious death of a man on Long Island and the local exchange was BU8.

The title of the work I have seen in Microsoft Encarta is Butterfield 8. In the library database iBistro it is listed as Butterfield 8 (ISBN 0394711904), at Alibris internet bookstore with 4 different versions for sale it is listed as BUtterfield 8, Butterfield 8 and once as a two line entry Butterfield on top and 8 below. Those last were confusing because while the entry said Butt... you could see the cover said BUtt.. and on an entry that read BUtt... the cover looked to read Butt... but usually the 8 was apart from the name. Any one have a copy of the Library of Congress?
Posted by: mike32768

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 03 2010 08:14 PM

Slight misspelling

American female physical therapist; inventor; forensic scientist
Your answer: Bessie Blount Giffin

Should be "Griffin"

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 04 2010 05:31 AM

Entry corrected. The change will show up tomorrow. Thanks for noting the typo.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 06 2010 02:58 AM

Quote:
14. John M. Elston (JMElston)
Your answer: American FunTrivia player; Who Am I? editor; send me your comments & suggestions

That was a tough one! smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 07 2010 11:48 AM

US LGBT rights advocate; writer; actress; musician; daughter of Sonny & Cher
Your answer: Chastity Bono

Chas Bono is transgender and is now living as male. He's had an official name change too, so I think the entry should be changed to match this.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 07 2010 10:18 PM

Entry updated to Chaz Bono and corrected. Thanks for the notification.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Oct 09 2010 09:13 PM

11. British scientst; worked on the discovery of the structure of DNA

Typo corrected. Entry updated. Changes will show up tomorrow.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 10 2010 06:29 AM

Yukio Hatoyama
Your answer: Japanese politician; current Prime Minister

This question might go stale within a few years. It is advisable to include the year he became PM.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 10 2010 06:31 AM

Your answer: African-American civil rights activist

African-American civil rights activist was: Rosa Parks

Was Rosa really an activist? I've the impression she was chosen as an icon for the civil rights movement without being active in this movement at that time.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 10 2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: JanIQ

African-American civil rights activist was: Rosa Parks

Was Rosa really an activist? I've the impression she was chosen as an icon for the civil rights movement without being active in this movement at that time.

Rosa Parks was actively involved in the Civil Rights movement before the famous bus seat incident, and continued to be politically active for many years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_Parks

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 10 2010 03:44 PM

Even one action (and it was a biggie) made her active, You don't have to do a thousand things to be an activist. Sometimes one action is enough.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 10 2010 06:23 PM

The Yukio Hatoyama entry has been updated. There are probably other similar entries lurking in the database.

Rosa Parks' entry has been left as is for now.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 17 2010 08:17 AM

This entry has an extra "i" on the end, not sure if something got cut off?

11. Swiss-born American engineer; designed the George Washington, Verrazano-Narrows & Bayonne Bridges; i
Your answer: Arcangelo Corelli

Thank you!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 17 2010 08:57 AM

Arcangelo Corelli: Italian composer; violinist

Othmar Ammann: Swiss-born American engineer; designed the George Washington, Verrazano-Narrows & Bayonne Bridges

Hmmm... I'm not sure where the "bad" Arcangelo Corelli entry came from. The Othmar Ammann entry was an "initials are" entry which got truncated due to length limits evidently. I've fixed the latter entry and I'll continue to try and find the former one.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 17 2010 09:41 AM

Oh, I'm sorry about that JMElston! You're right, it was the Othmar Ammann entry that had the "i" -- I had answered that question incorrectly. I'm sure the Corelli entry is fine, no need to look any further!
Posted by: George95

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 21 2010 03:14 PM

Mongolian Olympic Champion judoka; first Mongolian to win a gold medal

Your answer: Naidangiin Tvshinbayar

Should there be a space between the T and v in his last name?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 21 2010 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: George95
Mongolian Olympic Champion judoka; first Mongolian to win a gold medal

Your answer: Naidangiin Tvshinbayar

Should there be a space between the T and v in his last name?

Wikipedia shows his name as Tüvshinbayar. I suspect the current entry is just a variation and his name is definitely not T Vshinbayar. These things happen when transferring names between alphabets.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Oct 22 2010 11:59 AM

Naidangiin Tüvshinbayar's entry has been corrected. The "ü" didn't translate well when added to the database. Thanks for noting this problem.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 24 2010 07:02 AM

This one will become stale in a while.

"Spanish pro golfer; currently playing on the European Seniors Tour = (Jose Rivero)"

The word 'currently' is time dependent.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 27 2010 06:49 PM

There appears to be two entries for Willy Messerchmitt. In both cases, the name is spelled different: Willy Messerchmitt and Willi Messerschmitt (y changed to i and an s between the r and c in his last name). I see a mixture of both, so I know it's not a typo corrected.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 27 2010 10:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Buddy1
There appears to be two entries for Willy Messerchmitt. In both cases, the name is spelled different: Willy Messerchmitt and Willi Messerschmitt (y changed to i and an s between the r and c in his last name). I see a mixture of both, so I know it's not a typo corrected.

And neither is correct!

Wilhelm Emil "Willy" Messerschmitt is the name of the German aircraft designer.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 28 2010 08:23 PM

Indeed. There were two different entries which were both wrong in their own way. I corrected one and replaced the other. Thank you for find ing this.

I also modified the Jose Rivero entry.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 02 2010 10:48 AM

FYI.... It's Quirke, not Quirk. smile

Pauline Quirk
Your answer: English TV actress; Sharon in the BBCs 'Birds of a Feather'

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 02 2010 11:49 AM

I've just looked her up in Wikipedia where it says her middle name is Perpetua. Who knew?! shocked

(You might not know her, Meathead, but she's a very funny lady and well-known on this side of the pond. And you're quite right, it should be Quirke.)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 02 2010 06:35 PM

Pauline's entry has been corrected. Thanks for noting the error. I was tempted to include her middle name, but I held to the common form. The change will show up tomorrow.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Dec 04 2010 03:53 PM

4. Freddy Mercury
Your answer: British musician; lead singer with 'Queen'; died of AIDS

^ Should be "Freddie"

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Dec 04 2010 05:31 PM

I'm suprised someone hadn't pointed that out long ago. Thanks for catching that.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Dec 05 2010 06:15 PM

8. British-born American international news correspondent for CNN
Your answer: Christiane Amanpour

Wikipedia says there is dispute about where she was born, London or Iran. I must opine that if you can't find the British Birth Certificate (which are like gold) then the other place must be where it happened. Her father was Iranian and her mother British. I think the entry would be better worded: "Irani-Anglo American International news..."

I remember an interview of her where she called herself Irani, which isn't in the current entry at all.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Dec 05 2010 07:58 PM

I've updated Christiane Amanpour's entry. Thanks for the notice.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Dec 05 2010 08:37 PM

Er... you have? Only Christiane Amanpour is a Commander of the British Empire and you don't get that unless you are British. Dual nationality maybe but one of them has to be British. Please don't call her Anglo whatever you do, that's a term which has no meaning whatsoever with regard to nationality. Iranian-British would be okay, Anglo would not.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 06 2010 01:24 AM

Since there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to where Christiane was born, I've indicated the questionability of the data. I used "Iranian-British-born(?)" as a tag.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 06 2010 04:56 AM

I did an internet search - one of the news organisations she worked for clearly said she was born in London and the family moved back to Iran shortly afterwards, then she came back to the UK for her education, the others don't mention where she was born at all. But it's actually irrelevant, what matters is her nationality and both Iranian and British seem to be accepted everywhere which implies joint nationality to me. Given that she has been awarded the CBE I'd bet money on it. Eligibility for those awards is checked very carefully by people much more qualified than Wikipedia. Most countries allow joint nationality, so using Iranian-British would be fine. What I objected to more was the use of the word "Anglo". With the exception of some specific categories, e.g. British people born in Ireland pre-independence who are called Anglo-Irish, we do not use that word to qualify nationality.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Dec 24 2010 12:43 PM

This one is bound to become stale in a while.

Argentinian legendary footballer (soccer player); current coach of the Argentine national team = (Diego Maradona)

Please replace the "current" by an exact time.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Dec 24 2010 03:30 PM

Actually Maradona's term has already ended. He was coach from November 2008 to July 2010. Thanks for noting that. I've updated his entry.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Dec 26 2010 07:43 AM

I recall you recently updated the entry for Chaz Bono. I encoutered that item in my set today. It starts: "US LGBT rights..." In keeping with the other entries, wouldn't "American LGBT..." be more appropriate? Thanks.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Dec 26 2010 03:10 PM

That's a valid point. I think the entry was originally too long and I had to cut corners, but the current entry can stand the change from US to American. I've modified the entry. Thanks.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 27 2010 06:41 AM

Quote:
7. Australian female politician; current Premier of Queensland
Your answer: Anna Bligh

With the opinion polls for most Labor politicians dropping faster than gravity, I think the word 'current' should be replaced (and quickly! smile ). Perhaps change the second phrase to 'elected Premier of Queensland in 2009' or 'first female Premier of Queensland'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 27 2010 11:37 AM

Entry updated. I wish that I could search the database for cases like these. Please keep pointing them out. Thanks.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 27 2010 01:39 PM

Bob Homme = American-born Canadian TV sctor; children's broadcaster on 'The Friendly Giant'

It should be actor not sctor.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 27 2010 06:06 PM

Typo corrected. Thanks.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 04 2011 10:52 AM

14. E. e. cummings
Your answer: American poet; painter; essayist; author; playwright

Should it be E.E. Cummings?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 04 2011 11:11 AM

Actually, it should be e. e. cummings, but Terry forces the first letter as a capital in this case. Oh well...

I'm not sure what to do here. I could try a space before the initial, but I assume that probably gets ignored.

Happy(?) WAI Capitalization Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 04 2011 11:32 AM

Put it in single quote marks? (since it is a 'stage' type name, not his given one. It is his Nom de plume, how do you handle other such entries? Shouldn't they all be '____', like 'George Orwell' (Eric Blair)?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 04 2011 12:24 PM

According to Wikipedia, it's E.E. Cummings, with some people using e.e. cummings in the style of his poetry. So why not use the former?

Posted by: skunkee

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 04 2011 04:53 PM

Wikipedia is not always right. Every poem I have read by him was signed all in lower case.
Posted by: shuehorn

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 05 2011 01:42 PM

Same here. His preference was to use lower case letters. If we could do it, it would be better to use e.e. cummings, but it is a system glitcha tha requires an initial capital for the WAI entries.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 05 2011 05:05 PM

I put e. e. cummings in quotes. We'll see if Terry's algorithm still forces the first letter to be a capital.

Happy WAI Capitalization Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 05 2011 05:36 PM

According to this article, Cummings signed his name using capital letters - there are copies of his signature - and Mrs Cummings objected when the preface of a forthcoming book said it should be lower case.

"I sent Marion Moorehouse, the poet's widow, a copy of my second book on Cummings (Southern Illinois, 1964), which was not long after the poet's death in 1962. Although I myself always spelled his name with the usual caps, since my first book (Hopkins, 1960) used the lowercase form on the cover and title page, and since neither he nor Marion had complained at that time, I was somewhat taken aback when she wrote me, in April of 1964, "you should not have allowed H. Moore to make such a stupid & childish statement about Cummings & his signature."

The problem, then, was not so much with the cover and title page as with Harry T. Moore's Preface which began:

FIRST: if I don't use capitals for e. e. Cummings, it isn't just a stunt. He had his name put legally into lower case."

The waters are clearly muddy - an scholar of Cummings' work says one thing, Cumming's widow says another and the man himself scrawled. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 05 2011 05:44 PM

deleted by poster

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jan 10 2011 01:08 AM

4. Julia Gillard

Your answer: Welsh-born Australian politician; first female Deputy Prime Minister of Australia

She is currently Australia's first female Prime Minister, an even more noteworthy attainment

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jan 10 2011 08:50 PM

Her entry has been updated. Thanks.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 12 2011 12:00 PM

J. M. Barrie's entry says "British author, 'Peter Pan'". However, I believe J.M. Barrie was a Scottish author.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 12 2011 03:10 PM

"British" includes Scottish, English, and Welsh, as these countries are all part of Great Britain. However, I'd prefer it to say "Scottish" :P And it's not because I am Scottish :P

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 13 2011 06:53 AM

Wikipedia now says Scottish. I have no problem either way. I'll update the entry.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 13 2011 07:06 AM

So when do we start labeling other people in a similar fashion? Missouri author, Mark Twain... Ontario author, Margaret Atwood... Franche-Comte's Victor Hugo... Or is it just the United Kingdom that you've decided to carve up?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 13 2011 01:24 PM

If you take into account what happens in different sports, you might consider to split the UK (but not the US or France). Many sports have their own national championships in the four main different parts of the UK.

To extend a split that is rather common in sports, to a literature setting might however be stretching too far.
Posted by: Jabberwok

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 13 2011 01:43 PM

Wait until we get our independence. smile

Are Ontario and Missouri running similar campaigns?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 13 2011 02:20 PM

I don't wish to consider it at all, JanIQ, that's my point. I may be English but my country is the United Kingdom and my nationality is British. In my view FT shouldn't split the UK when it doesn't do it to other countries.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jan 16 2011 07:57 PM

11. Anne Sexton
Your answer: American poetess; writer; Pulitzer Prize-winner; suicide ,

The answer to this one looked a little odd to me, ending in a comma the way it does. Typo?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 18 2011 11:55 AM

I removed the comma. I don't know why it was there. Thanks for noting it.

Happy WAI Typo Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 19 2011 07:00 PM

4. American film & TV actor; TV director; 'Star Trek: TNG'
Your answer: Michael Dorn

Mr Dorn spent almost as much time as a cast member of 'Star Trek: DSN' He was one of two characters to cross over to that second show (the first and more prominent was Colm Meany as Chief Miles O'Brien but Dorn has been in more episodes of any Star Trek series than anyone else).
Might I suggest the bio be altered to include that by saying 'Star Treks: TNG & DSN'?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 19 2011 07:37 PM

Many entries have much more that could be added to further describe the person. In this case I added DS9 to the entry. Thanks for bringing this up.

Happy WAI Trivia!
Posted by: dippo

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 27 2011 09:04 AM

Adelbert Ames

American soldier; sailor; politician; last surviving Civil War general

I would normally interpret 'last surviving' as meaning he is still alive. He must be quite old by now!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 27 2011 09:17 AM

Typo - 'American film, radio and tv actor; Ward Cleaver on 'Leave it ti Beaver'.

Not that I've ever seen it, but presume it should be 'Leave it to Beaver'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 28 2011 04:34 PM

Dame Iris Murdoch may have been born in Dublin but her family moved to England when she was very young - at a time when Ireland was still a British Dominion. Whatever the rights and wrongs of that period of Irish history, Iris Murdoch grew up in England and lived there for the rest of her life. She also became a Dame of the British Empire, something that the Irish cannot do. So calling her an Irish writer is just plain wrong. Please change it.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 28 2011 05:49 PM

If anything, her entry should say "Irish-born" if it would include Irish. You see people whose families are e.g. British and they have grown up in Britain referred to as "___-born", for example, Pam Ferris is sometimes referred to as German-born Welsh, although both of her parents are Welsh. Even Wikipedia (I know, I know) refers to Iris as "Irish-born British".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jan 29 2011 09:06 PM

Various corrections made. Thanks for noting them.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jan 31 2011 02:12 PM

13. Cartoon character created Walt Disney
Your answer: Daisy Duck

Of course it should be "created by".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Feb 01 2011 03:16 PM

Correction made. Thanks for noting it.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 05:46 AM

Jeannie Longo
Your answer: French female racing cyclist; 56 time French & World Champion

As she was born in 1958, and is therefore 52 years old at the moment, I think there must be a peculiar counting method used to say she has been World or French champion 56 times, even if she did start at a very early age. Normally a championship lasts at least a year. Either the info is incorrect, or French national pride is causing an exaggeration of her achievements?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 05:58 AM

Looks like the French are not exaggerating this time. Wikipedia says this-
Quote:
Jeannie Longo (born 31 October 1958 in Annecy, Haute-Savoie) is a French racing cyclist, multiple (57 times) French and world champion. Longo is still active in cycling as of 2010 and is widely considered one of the greatest female cyclists of all time

It seems there are many different types of world titles up for grabs each year, and she has certainly done her share of grabbing!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 08:35 AM

I checked Wiki before I posted; i just don't believe everything I read there.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 09:17 AM

Jeannie Longo has won 57 French national titles, the latest in 2010 when she was 51. Cycling has many different disciplines and it's perfectly possible to hold several titles simultaneously (just ask Sir Chris Hoy or Nicole Cooke!). Beryl Burton still holds the record for the number of national titles though - she won 90 of them; British of course. I remember when she set the time trial record - she overtook all the men and set a time which beat everyone, men and women - it took two years before a man could ride faster than her. However, I digress... Jeannie Longo is a legend amongst cyclists, and she has indeed won that many titles.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 10:30 AM

I'm not disputing the number of titles, just the description of '56 times French and World Champion'.
Posted by: cubswin2323

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 01:16 PM

It looks like a year you mean? I have a gazillion issues with WAI. They really love Euro nobodies. They hate Americans in that game.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 01:31 PM

I'm sorry, but it is comments like that that lead people to dislike Americans. Just because you haven't heard of someone doesn't make them a nobody.
Posted by: postcards2go

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: cubswin2323
It looks like a year you mean? I have a gazillion issues with WAI. They really love Euro nobodies. They hate Americans in that game.

Are you kidding? I have found that game to be one of the most well-balanced. I appreciate the inclusion of people from all over the world. Also, often I have wondered if someone in Germany or Australia, etc. has heard of David Letterman, or Sally Jesse Raphael, or Phil Rizzuto or any *number* of Americans.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 03:13 PM

They? WAI is a pretty democratic game. When first introduced it did have a UK bias, and JM invited all FT members to submit names to the game, which we did. There was very little effort invovlved in making a submission, just a name and a description, no need to go to the bother of thinking up 3 wrong answers and some interesting info. If you don't like the names that are there, how about making a positive contribution to the site and submitting some names yourself?

As a Brit and therefore a European I'd heard of four of the people in my set today. However, process of elimination plays a strong part. I've found that someone called Klaus, Wilhelm or Otto tends to fit under "German ...." rather than "Chinese ....."!
Posted by: kyleisalive

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 03:16 PM

I have to agree- WAI does well to conquer that concept of Americanization that has half of FT up in arms. smile
There's no need to play the game if you don't enjoy it, though.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 03:28 PM

I've got a feeling that Leif Erikson and Christopher Columbus were the Euro nobodies of their day. There are times when some of us wish they'd stayed home. wink
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 04:08 PM

Sigh. Isn't responding to messages that are obviously intended to be incendiary just feeding the ego of certain individuals? Or, alternatively, like shooting fish in a barrel? lol

We should probably be careful with "blanket statements" as well. I, for one, am truly happy that some definite Euro nobody grandparents of mine decided to leave home - otherwise it's unlikely I'd be blessed to be alive here in Canada today : )

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. ~ Mark Twain

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 05:02 PM

What a strange thing to say!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 12 2011 05:24 PM

Whenever people mention things like Americanization, I always think that it's a silly assumption to make anyway that most Americans will know who those people are. UK people come up all the time and I don't know who they are, but I know many others of various nationalities. For example, there are bound to be non-Americans who know more about US sports and TV shows than some Americans. As people have said, in the light of any bias you feel is present, help change it by submitting your own entries instead of making these kind of statements about it.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Mar 16 2011 12:13 AM

Please close this line of discussion here. You can move it to where ever you like, but Terry has shut down this content thread for similar tangents. I would rather not risk that. Thank you.

I'll consider clarifying the Jeannie Longo entry to be more explanatory of her accomplishments.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Mar 16 2011 05:16 PM

"5. Johnson Beharry

Grenadian-born British soldier; awarded the Vicroria Cross for valour in Iraq"

Should read Victoria Cross.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Mar 16 2011 11:56 PM

Typo Corrected. Thanks. I had that entry today and still missed seeing the problem for some reason.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Mar 17 2011 01:25 AM

I had that as well and also missed it, possibly because my mind went to thinking about his current appearance on 'Dancing on Ice'. Well, it's a good excuse.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Mar 29 2011 10:07 AM

One of my question read

Brazilian songwiter; composer; pianist; soccer commentator; radio & TV host
Ary Barroso

Songwriter is missing an "r" between the w and the i.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Mar 30 2011 10:47 PM

Typo Corrected. Thanks.

Happy WAI Trivia!
Posted by: ssabreman

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Apr 02 2011 09:52 AM

Bruce Mclaren
Your answer: New Zealand motor racing pioneer; race-car designer; driver; engineer; inventor

Should have a capital - Bruce McLaren

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Apr 03 2011 02:14 PM

Bruce McLaren's entry has been corrected. Thanks.

Happy WAI Trivia!
Posted by: mlcmlc

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 20 2011 04:48 PM

John 'Black Jack' Pershing

Your answer: Australian former cricketer

Australian former cricketer was: Dennis Lillee

The correct answer was US Army General; led the AEF in WWI

Equine Triple Crown winner = (Secretariat)
US Army General; led the AEF in WWI = (John 'Black Jack' Pershing)
Australian former cricketer = (Ian Chappell)
Irish playwright; 'Pygmalion' = (George Bernard Shaw)
Canadian actor; Captain Kirk of 'Star Trek'; author; producer; director; musician = (William Shatner)
Australian former cricketer = (Dennis Lillee)

two of the same description for one selection. both wrong, but still. not sure what info you need, so i copied the whole thing... guess i'll remember 'black jack' next time!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 20 2011 05:09 PM

If you ever see a duplicate in the answers in this game, you know they're both wrong. The selection algorithm won't allow two identical answers to be selected if one of them is right.
Posted by: mlcmlc

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 20 2011 05:14 PM

ah, good point. thanks for the tip.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 20 2011 07:23 PM

He also is in rare company as the US Army named a missile after him, the MGM-31 Pershing Missile.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Apr 26 2011 07:55 AM

Today I had Anita Desai with the correct option being 'Indian female novelist; 'Hotel du Lac''. Surely 'Hotel du Lac' is Anita Brookner, not Desai?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Apr 26 2011 08:36 AM

One of these would be appropriate to add as a hint for Anita Desi:

Cry The Peacock
Clear Light Of Day
In Custody
The Zigzag Way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_Desai

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Apr 26 2011 10:41 AM

Entries for Anita Desai & Anita Brookner have been corrected/updated. Thanks for pointing out the problem.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 03 2011 11:55 AM

This may have been signalled before. The wording of the question is bound to go stale:

12. Scottish pro golfer; now active in the European Senior's Tour
Your answer: Sam Torrance

The word *now* will at some point become inaccurate.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed May 04 2011 04:04 PM

Victor Herbert - American composer; conductor; cellist; a founder of ASCAP; 'Babes in Toyland'

He was actually born in Dublin, Ireland, so it should be "Irish-born, American composer", right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Herbert

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri May 06 2011 04:40 PM

The Sam Torrance and Victor Herbert entries have been modified. Thanks for the info and comments.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 14 2011 07:18 AM

1. Friederich Nietzsche
Your answer: German philosopher; philologist; author; 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra'

The spelling should be "Friedrich".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 14 2011 01:38 PM

Jean-Jacques Rousseau - French philosopher; author; composer; 'Discourse on Inequality'

He was Swiss by birth, went to France as a teenager, came back to Switzerland where he wrote 'Discourse on Inequality', spent time in England and Italy and died in France.

From wiki - 'Throughout his life, he described himself as a citizen of Geneva.'

Maybe 'Swiss-French philosopher'?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 17 2011 11:07 AM

10. American film & TV actress; supermodel; 'Pretty Baby' & 'Suddently Susan'
Your answer: Brooke Shields

"Suddently" should be "Suddenly".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 17 2011 11:41 AM

Another question that is time stamped.

13. British royalty; current head of the UK & Commonwealth
Your answer: Elizabeth II

The word "current" should obviously be replaced to prevent staleness.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri May 20 2011 12:04 AM

Various entries have been corrected/updated. Thanks for the info and comments.

I've left Elizabeth II's entry as is for the moment. I've put the entry on a watch list for future updates.

Happy WAI Trivia!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri May 20 2011 04:21 PM

Albert Schweitzer - French medical missionary; theologian; musician; philosopher; physician; Nobel Prize-winner

I think this entry needs to be reworded or clarified or updated. Not sure which. He was born in Alsace which was technically in Germany when he was born. It was changed to France in 1919 (he was born in 1875). For instance his Wikipedia page says he is a "German" but under his Nationality he is German 1875-1919 then French 1919-1965.

Perhaps it should be updated to say "German born, French..." Or something similar?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Schweitzer

Thanks

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun May 22 2011 08:15 AM

Dalia Grybauskait
Your answer: Lithuanian politician; first female President of Lithuania

Her surname is supposed to have an "e" on the end, but I think it's because it's a special character ("ė") that it's not appearing in the game.
EDIT: As can be seen, the special character is not even appearing here. It was an "e" with a dot above it (I don't know the technical term!). Better just to have an "e" without the accent.
Posted by: dsimpy

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 26 2011 02:56 AM

Today's WAI? has the same quirk - two of the possible answers in the same question are 'Australian former pro tennis player'. smilee

- Sorry, this looks a bit confusing - it's actually a response to JMElston's explanation of this happening previously (reply #511340 on page 1 of this thread!)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 26 2011 05:05 AM

That does happen pretty often. When you see two identical descriptions, you can eliminate them both as possible answers. The selection algorithm makes sure that two matching answers won't appear if one is right and one is wrong, but it doesn't bother about two wrong answers.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 26 2011 10:33 PM

Wrong thread - removed.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 26 2011 10:35 PM

Wrong thread - removed.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 26 2011 11:17 PM

ssabreman, those comments seem to belong on the Word Wizard thread, where others have already noted them. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 26 2011 11:22 PM

Yes, I just noticed that I placed these in the wrong thread. Apologies.
But my reference was placed prior to the other being posted.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 26 2011 11:27 PM

Anyway, the point has been made where it can be seen, no matter who did so.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 28 2011 10:33 PM

From today's game:

Robert Vaughan

Your answer: American film & TV actor; Napoleon Solo in TV's 'The Man from U.N.C.L.E.'

The second "a" should be removed from the surname. See http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001816/

Although "Vaughan" is given as an alternate, I've only ever seen him credited as "Vaughn".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 31 2011 07:44 AM

12. German-Swiss 19th century chemist; invented the fuel cell; discovered guncotton & ozone
Your answer: Christian Friedrich Schonbein

His surname is actually spelled "Schönbein". If the "o umlaut" character doesn't appear or you can't write it in, it's standard to put an "e" after the letter instead, i.e. Schoenbein. It's perfectly equivalent to using the umlaut. The current spelling is simply incorrect.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 31 2011 10:25 AM

Various entries have been updated/corrected. There are more cases of incorrectly translated accented vowels. I'll look for them and correct them as I find them. Please note any other similar cases that you find. Thanks.

The multiple wrong answer cases should be thought of as bonuses, since two or more answers can be eliminated. This is possibly confusing to a new player, but after you run into a few of these it should be obvious.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jun 01 2011 07:28 PM

Sure, it would be nice to include all the "diacritical" marks that make a name more accurate, but they don't play well in real quizzes, esp if you choose flash (you get a whole bunch of nonsense symbols instead - this happens all the time in the quick quiz) so perhaps that's why you see more UNaccented words/names than we should. I don't get particularly upset with english "transliteralisations" (have you tried Gaelic folks? LOL). So, reeshy's suggestion might be the best "happy medium solution" at this point in time.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 02 2011 07:41 AM

Jakeroo, please note when you get those nonsense symbols, and let Terry know. He's working on eliminating that from the system, and the more detail the better.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 02 2011 11:37 AM

agony, I'll do the same. Do we post these in the forum? Then I would prefer a new thread.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jun 04 2011 09:22 AM

13. Dan Fogelberg
Your answer: American singer-somgwriter; composer; musician; 'Longer' & 'Same Old Lang Syne'

spelling - songwriter

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jun 07 2011 08:50 AM

American film & TV actor; director; author; Geordie in 'Star Trek: TNG'; 'Roots'
Your answer: LeVar Burton

The character's name in 'Star Trek: TNG' is spelled Geordi (without the e).

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jun 08 2011 06:43 PM

Corrections made. Thanks.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jun 11 2011 09:17 AM

American radio host; author; conservative political commentatorr; 'The Way Things Ought to Be'
Your answer: Rush Limbaugh

commentatorr should only have one r at the end.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jun 15 2011 07:22 AM

8. Austrian-born Swedish physicist; she should have won a Nobel Prize
Your answer: Lise Meitner

Isn't the comment just a little subjective? She didn't win a Nobel Prize!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 30 2011 08:53 AM

Dame Edna Everage
Your answer: Fictional chracter played by comedian Barry Humphries

typo - spelling - character

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 30 2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: dippo
8. Austrian-born Swedish physicist; she should have won a Nobel Prize
Your answer: Lise Meitner

Isn't the comment just a little subjective? She didn't win a Nobel Prize!

I guess because it was a big thing when she didn't win - it was awarded for her team's work, but for some reason, possibly because of her gender, Lise was left out. I don't really think it should be worded as it is in the question: how about something like "famous for her work on nuclear fission" or something along those lines? :P

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 30 2011 11:04 AM

It's fine as it is... she's not the only woman who should have got a Nobel Prize but didn't and keeping the reminders of that fact in various places is one small way of making sure discrimination doesn't get swept under the carpet or, worse, happen again. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 30 2011 01:20 PM

True enough, Flopsy smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 30 2011 03:45 PM

Whether or not it was the result of discrimination, the fact remains that she didn't win the prize. A question saying she should have is open to dispute, and not provable.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 30 2011 09:20 PM

I agree with dippo, as well as Reeshy's suggested solution to the wording of the q. Opinions are not facts, despite how "noble" they may (or may not) be.
Posted by: AlexxSchneider

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jul 07 2011 08:30 AM

English film & TV actress; 'Pirates of the Caribbean'
Your answer: Kiera Knightley

Should spell 'Keira'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jul 14 2011 04:20 PM

"13. Paddy Ashdown
Your answer: British politician; Liberal Democrats leader"

Should be ex, or one time leader.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jul 14 2011 10:04 PM

I don't feel it needs to be reworded, simply because it doesn't say "CURRENT xxx leader". If the question was:
13. Adolf Hitler
Your answer: Austrian-born German politician, Nazi party leader
would you still ask for "ex-Nazi party leader"?

or
13. Arthur Ashe
Your answer: American tennis star
would you ask for "former American tennis star" instead?

Considering that large numbers of folks in WAI are DEAD (which means they are ALL "ex" or "former" something-or-others, and that sports records are broken all the time), that would mean a HUGE amount of editing on someone's part - yikes lol.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 15 2011 12:19 AM

I was thinking of folk outside the UK when I submitted that one. The current leader of the LibDems is Nick Clegg, who is also our Deputy Prime Minister. There is a chance that people outside of the UK may have heard of him, which may make them discount Paddy Ashdown for that question.

There can be more than one current tennis star, but there's only one leader of a political party at any one time.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 15 2011 01:47 AM

Those of us who are far enough outside the UK just look for a name that might be English, and who we don't know for fame in some non-political field.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 15 2011 03:07 PM

Jakeroo, your examples both consisted of dead people, and I think you're right in that dead people's definitions shouldn't read "ex-" at any point, but what about alive people? If a retired sportsman is included, I'm sure it would (or should) read "ex-footballer", for example, or "former pop star" for, of course, a former pop star. I do think Paddy Ashdown's definition should read "ex-" as well, because he's still alive and doing other things.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 15 2011 04:38 PM

To get round the problem, something like "Paddy Ashdown, British politician and diplomat" would do - especially as his highest office was an international one.
Posted by: Harrynj

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 22 2011 05:16 PM

Really both of these answers are correct, although I do see why the given answer is perhaps very slightly more correct by virtue of completeness:

11. Rev. Jesse Jackson

The correct answer was American civic leader; clergyman; politician

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jul 23 2011 06:05 AM

This entry is bound to become stale.

"Australian politician; current Minister for Climate Change, Energy Efficiency & Water
Your answer: Penny Wong".

The word "current" will not be correct in some years.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jul 23 2011 06:16 AM

The way the government is going, there is a fair chance that it will not even be relevant by Christmas. smile
Posted by: Barbiegurl676

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jul 24 2011 02:43 AM

Today I came across Eric Cantona - the answer was that he is "French controversial footballer", but it should also have actor in his description, as that seems to be his current career choice. He's not just an extra, either, but has "stared" in a few roles, or at least received some of the top billing.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jul 25 2011 12:55 PM

Chinese NBA Basketball player

Yao Ming

Ming retired from the NBA on July 20, 2011.
Posted by: AlOPeesha

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 03 2011 01:57 PM

Today's 'Who Am I' quiz, Weds 3rd August 2011.

13 English former footballer

Bobby Charlton
Jean Renoir
Johannes Brahms
Phil Neal
Georges Simenon
Joseph Pulitzer

Bobby Charlton is an English former footballer, as is Phil Neal.

Bobby Charlton was not the correct answer. I am just wondering when he stopped being and English former footballer.
Posted by: klinski_1987

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 03 2011 03:02 PM

13. English former footballer

Your answer: Bobby Charlton

Bobby Charlton was: England team player; football superstar

The correct answer was Phil Neal

Bobby Charlton = (England team player; football superstar)
Jean Renoir = (French film director; actor; author; 'Grand Illusion' & 'The Rules of the Game')
Johannes Brahms = (German composer; friend of Schumann; known for his 'Lullaby')
Phil Neal = (English former footballer)
Georges Simenon = (Belgian novelist; created detective Maigret)
Joseph Pulitzer = (Hungarian-American publisher; noted for his Prizes)

Bobby Charlton retired from the English team in 1970, making him a former English footballer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Charlton
Posted by: klinski_1987

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 03 2011 03:03 PM

Sorry! Apparently I can't read. Good call AlPeesha.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 11 2011 11:29 AM

13. English stage, film, radio & TV actor; writer; humorist; dramatist
Your answer: Charles Blondin

The correct answer was Peter Ustinov

I have some doubt about the word "English" in the description. Shouldn't it mention that he was of mixed descent (Russian, German and Ethiopian, according to Wikipedia)?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 11 2011 11:53 AM

Why should it? Peter was born in England and was an English citizen. Pretty much everyone has mixed descent, so why should it be mentioned in this case? Because of his name? He was English.
Posted by: Tizzabelle

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 11 2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JanIQ
This entry is bound to become stale.

"Australian politician; current Minister for Climate Change, Energy Efficiency & Water
Your answer: Penny Wong".

The word "current" will not be correct in some years.

It's already stale. Penny Wong became Minister for Finance and Deregulation after the August 2010 election. Perhaps a better answer would be "Australian senator" or similar. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 18 2011 06:58 AM

Meredith Grey

Your answer: Fictional character; female surgeon on TVs 'Grey's Anatomy' played by Ellen Pompeo

The general description of the quiz refers to 'famous people'. Is a fictional character in a not particularly well known (worldwide) TV series a 'famous person'? I'm sure the process of elimination used by most people will ensure that this gets a high percentage correct, but I think I'd rather have Australian Beach Volleyball players than fictional TV characters (please don't take me up on that). Just a thought, but would the actress Ellen Pompeo qualify for inclusion in her own right?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 03:16 PM

Kenneth Grahame

British author; 'The Wind in the Willows'

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say he's a "Scottish author" given that he was born in Edinburgh, Scotland? I understand they both part of Great Britain, but I've seen many others referred to as "Scottish" not "British".

Thanks!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 03:52 PM

Oh please, leave my country alone!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 04:33 PM

What flopsymopsy would like is 15 questions in her set with Johnny Wilkinson as the answer! 1) JW: Fair to middling English rugby player. 2) JW: Blonde English rugby player 3) JW: Rugby player born in Frimley, 1979 4) JW: English fly half or centre. 5) English rugby player who can kick a bit.. etc etc etc wink Can anyone arrange that? laugh

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 04:51 PM

14) JW: Kicked drop goal in last minute of extra time to beat Australia in Australia
15) JW: Responsible for frozen look on Australian Prime Minister's face as he was forced to present the World Cup to a load of Poms!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 05:41 PM

This really isn't the thread for a rugby discussion!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 06:16 PM

Sorry spanishliz frown We have already taken the banter into PM as we thought it might not be the right time and place for it here! smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 06:24 PM

It took my mind off the very serious issues I have with the arbitrary way Who Am I? treats the matter of my country's legal status and what makes people one nationality or another. I may be a lone voice crying in the wilderness but my country is still the United Kingdom and I am still British. As was Kenneth Grahame.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 06:47 PM

The the rest of the Scottish Who Am I answers should be corrected to all say British as well then. If all of them were labeled as British, I wouldn't have mentioned it. Consistency is all I ask.

In the US, even though Puerto Rico is a territory of the US we don't call them Americans, they are referred to as Puerto Ricans. Sheesh, I wouldn't have said anything at all if I knew it was such a huge deal. Sorry.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 07:04 PM

No, you're right to ask for consistency - I wouldn't mind quite so much if it was consistent but it's not. People who are Scots may get called that but English people mostly get called British. Or worse, Irish or Irish-born or Indian-born... It is complicated, quite often because of our Imperial past. We staffed our Empire with soldiers, civil servants, teachers, engineers, etc. but sending those people to India or Australia or Ireland didn't necessarily give them that nationality - maybe it did if they chose to live there after their contracts ran out but mostly it didn't. And it didn't give their children another nationality either, even if they were born overseas. I saw Rudyard Kipling described on FT recently as Indian... eh? There are many entries in WAI describing people as Irish when in fact they were often Anglo-Irish and sometimes plain English or Scots or Welsh... and in the same way I've seen Germans born in pre-war Czechoslovakia described as Czech when in fact they would never have called themselves that in a million years. It's not consistent and it clearly bugs me, lol.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 08:10 PM

Any WAI entry that refers to actual place of birth is fine with me. If they were born in Glasgow, then I'm thinking Scotland, despite anyone else's politics, personal or historical definitions of boundaries, or where that person actually lived for the majority of their life.

I (naively) think that someday, if humans hope to survive as a race, countries won't matter at all.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 24 2011 10:36 PM

The day will come when we all bow down to Zardoz!
Click to reveal..
Fictional British God - how does that get demographed? Pseudo-Anglo Deity?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 25 2011 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Any WAI entry that refers to actual place of birth is fine with me. If they were born in Glasgow, then I'm thinking Scotland, despite anyone else's politics, personal or historical definitions of boundaries, or where that person actually lived for the majority of their life.

It's one thing to add the place of birth but not to assign nationality because of it. I refuse to say that Kipling was Indian no matter where he was born. Nor will I say that my sister is Maltese because of where my parents were stationed at the time of her birth or that her youngest children are Kenyan. Place of birth doesn't necessarily determine nationality.

Anyway, a night's sleep has removed (some of) my tetchiness on the subject smile but like Pyonir I would like some consistency.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 25 2011 05:45 AM

lol Flopsy, I wasn't aware I had disagreed with you.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 25 2011 06:34 AM

No, well, maybe you didn't. wink

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 25 2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo

When the Duke of Wellington was referred to Irish, because he was born in Dublin, he allegedly replied that being born in a stable would not make him a horse.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 25 2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
I refuse to say that Kipling was Indian no matter where he was born. Nor will I say that my sister is Maltese because of where my parents were stationed at the time of her birth or that her youngest children are Kenyan. Place of birth doesn't necessarily determine nationality.

If you start looking at place of birth the along with Kipling, Sir Cliff Richard, Spike Milligan, George Orwell and Vivien Leigh become Indian. Doc Neeson, Angus Young, John Paul Young, Jimmy Barnes, Naomi Watts and numerous other Aussie actors and musos become English. Nicole Kidman becomes American. Russell Crowe is both a Kiwi (by birth) and an Aussie (by naturalisation) and proudly so. Hugo Weaving is Nigerian. Keanu Reeves is Lebanese. Argh! It's all too confusing now! I'll bow out of this discussion smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 25 2011 03:01 PM

I'm not sure what I'm talking about now either Tizzabelle : )

Anyhoo, if the clue reads something along the lines of:

Indian-born British author, known for "Kim" and "Just So Stories"
are we wanting to remove the "born in India" part? I would think it 'more' correct (if there is such a thing lol) than leaving it out entirely.

And LOL at Dippo, I'd say that Duke was a bit of a snob ~
Besides, I didn't mean, in this particular case for instance, that "Irish-born" should be the ONLY clue as to who the person is when it is obvious they didn't "become famous" there. And yes I DO agree with the other posters that in cases like that, they should all be treated similarly in their presentation.

I have to say that I've been seeing much fewer of them in recent games, as opposed to when I first joined. I presume that's due to JMelston's good work on responding in here.
Posted by: abechstein

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 26 2011 07:53 PM

Also on the issue of consistency, I got this one in my set today:

"Sir John Paul Getty KBE"

Apologies for my colonial ignorance if I misstate anything, but my understanding is that "KBE" stands for "Knight of the British Empire", which is only one chivalric order into which an individual may be inducted. I have never seen a reference to the particular order of any other knighted individual in WMI. I don't mean to imply that the inclusion of "KBE" has any effect on the correctness of the answer, but if this designation is included for one answer, it should be included for all.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 26 2011 09:27 PM

The thing is, not everyone who has "Sir" before their name is also entitled to the postnominal letters "KBE" (Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire). They could be a baronet, a knight bachelor, a KCMG or KCVO, amongst others. Some might even be "KCMG, KBE". While it would be good to aim for consistency it might be a bit much to ask JMelston to go through them all and research their correct postnominals, some of which might be lengthy.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 27 2011 08:47 PM

That's sort of my point -- why should certain individuals be listed with complete postnomials and not others? I know that, to a certain extent, the database is cobbled together from a variety of sources, and that JMelston has done an excellent job in making the database more uniform. That's why inconsistencies like this stand out.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 02 2011 07:20 PM

Edward Teller
Your answer: American nuclear physicist; 'Father of the H-bomb'

Teller was born, raised, educated and began scientific research in Hungary.
From Wikipedia:
Born January 15, 1908(1908-01-15) Budapest, Hungary (Austria-Hungary)

He moved to the USA in 1935 (Age: 27) then became a naturalized citizen of the USA in 1941 (Age: 33)

One of the greatest scientific minds of the 20th century can best be called Hungarian-American.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Sep 03 2011 10:48 AM

10. Austrian-Irish physicist; famous for his 'Cat'
Your answer: Erwin Schrodinger

His surname should read "Schrödinger" or as a substitute for the umlaut, "Schroedinger".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 05 2011 12:09 PM

And here's another one that will go stale in a while.

British royalty; current head of the UK & Commonwealth
Your answer: Elizabeth II

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 05 2011 02:02 PM

Long may she reign. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Sep 14 2011 09:28 PM

William Quantrill
Your answer: Confederate guerrilla leader; killed 1865

Just Confederate? CSA (Confederated States of America) might be used. or better yet;
American Confederate Raider; disputed death 1865

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 15 2011 05:03 AM

Also, the word "guerrilla" is a modern one used for civil uprisings that are not recognized as all-out civil wars. I've never seen it used to talk about the US Civil War. Not that it can't be, but it is a strange rendering to my eyes.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 15 2011 06:37 AM

I've heard it used in that context, and "guerrilla" is only modern if you consider the Peninsular War vs Napoleon's forces modern. That is when the Shorter Oxford Dictionary says it came to be used in both French and English meaning "an irregular war carried out by small bodies of men acting independently". First use for that meaning is given as 1809, and I think it describes Quantrill's operations perfectly.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 15 2011 06:44 AM

I suggested Raider for two reasons: 1) it's shorter and I was asking for a lengthening in other parts of the bio; 2) His company was called Quantrill's Raiders.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 15 2011 06:30 PM

I think Raider is a good choice - he was in many senses a guerrilla and that's not inaccurate, but as mehaul says, they called themselves Quantrill's Raiders, so that might be best. They certainly did not operate as regular troops, and I wouldn't argue with "guerrilla', either.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 15 2011 09:54 PM

Pirates, Guerrillas, Rangers, Snipers, Buccaneers, Plunderers, Commandoes, Raiders...

JMElston, what term is used for Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox,'s men? Belay that request. Here's the applicable exerpts from Wiki:
Due to his irregular methods of warfare, he is considered one of the fathers of modern guerrilla warfare, and is credited in the lineage of the United States Army Rangers. He is known as the Swamp Fox...
Marion showed himself to be a singularly able leader of irregular militiamen. Unlike the Continental troops, Marion's Men, as they were known, served without pay, supplied their own horses, arms and often their food.

Yet another contemporary USA militia outfit, Jayhawkers. From Wiki:
Jayhawkers is a term that came to prominence just before the American Civil War in Bleeding Kansas, where it was adopted by militant bands affiliated with the free-state cause. These bands, known as "Jayhawkers", were guerrilla fighters who often clashed with pro-slavery "Border Ruffians". After the Civil War, the word "Jayhawker" became synonymous with the people of Kansas. Today the term is a nickname for a native-born Kansan.

From the Quantrill's Raiders Wiki entry:
Quantrill's Raiders were a loosely organized force of pro-Confederate Partisan rangers, "bushwhackers", who fought in the American Civil War under the leadership of William Clarke Quantrill. The name "Quantrill's Raiders" seems to have been attached to them long after the war, when the veterans would hold reunions.

Border Ruffians? Ah, bushwhackers! Sounds too Australian to me. Irregular militia men is more about their background than activities. Rangers is a term more from the Union side. Raiders is good, implies a group while guerrilla tends to imply one, two or three man units.

Posted by: 22crows

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 16 2011 07:40 PM

Erich Korngold came up again in my WAI yesterday. I am always surprised to see him tagged simply as American. He was a well-established and prolific composer and arranger long before he first came to the US in his late 30s. He later became an American citizen.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 16 2011 09:37 PM

Okay, could be a valid point. Perhaps we should do away with the nationality thing altogether and just focus on the achievement/notoriety aspect in the description? It would certainly make it more of a knowledge-based challenge that way rather than having guesses based merely on a surname that might be typical of a certain area of the world lol

Then again, were there any other composers listed amongst the choices? If not, then the nationality issue is moot.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Sep 17 2011 02:09 AM

Noooo - don't take away the references to nationalities - that is often the only way of working out which of these totally unfamiliar names could possibly be from that country. The descriptions of achievements are so brief and generic that they pretty much all sound the same author, actor, musician, etc. My scores would plummet, and I don't do that well as it is. laugh

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Sep 17 2011 12:58 PM

I wouldn't want the nationalities removed. There have been many entries where it has posed a problem, but something is usually worked out. In this case "Austro-Hungarian born American composer" sounds wordy, but in my opinion would suffice.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Sep 17 2011 01:05 PM

I think if we were to do away with the nationalities, the choices for each question would become repeated. As far as I know, the wrong answers for each question in this game are randomly generated, and with the nationalities removed you would probably end up with more than one 'composer' answer, with no way to distinguish which one is the real one.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 30 2011 08:39 AM

And another one that is already stale.

"15. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
Your answer: Filipino female professor of economics; politician; current President".

The words "current President" should be replaced with "President from 2001 until 2010".
Posted by: glendathecat

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Oct 07 2011 08:48 AM

15. Irish 19th century woman; past life of Colorado housewife Virginia Tighe
Your answer: Bridey Murphy

Bridey Murphy = (Irish 19th century woman; past life of Colorado housewife Virginia Tighe)

Can't say that I like the answer's wording on two counts. Firstly, it suggests that Bridey Murphy was a real person but no such person has ever been identified. Secondly, most experts are agreed that, even if past lives really do exist, Tighe's 'recollections' are more likely to be derived from childhood memories rather than from someone else's previous existence.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Oct 08 2011 09:03 AM

Ferdinand von Muller
Your answer: German-Australian physician; geographer; botanist

Isn't his name spelled "Mueller"?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Oct 08 2011 04:49 PM

Buddy1, yes. I figure someone has written it in as Müller, and the umlaut was not recognized, or they neglected to put it in ignorantly. It should be changed.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 01 2011 11:47 AM

British-American stage, film & TV actor; 'Frida' & 'Spiderman 2'

Alfred Molina

typo - Spider-Man 2

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 15 2011 02:00 PM

No need to incriminate the whole country. None of us are perfect but this goes too far:

3. German film actress; singer; writer; 'The Murderers are among US'

Your answer: Hildegard Knef

It should be Us not US.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 15 2011 02:38 PM

Oh I don't know... I've done the Expert category on Serial Killers many times and many of the Murderers are among you! wink
Posted by: bubblesfun

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 15 2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
Oh I don't know... I've done the Expert category on Serial Killers many times and many of the Murderers are among you! wink

True, but at least we have the good manners to catch most of them, rather than letting them continue to run amok like Jack the Ripper!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 15 2011 03:46 PM

Nothing the matter with a good amok. wink

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 15 2011 04:11 PM

And Jack the Ripper hasn't killed anyone for at least a couple of years.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 15 2011 05:27 PM

Will someone check Flopsymopsy's passport for visits to the USA and coincidence to reported instances of amok behavior (sorry, behaviour)??

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 15 2011 05:40 PM

Amok is a male phenomenon so it wasn't me! Although if you were to look at my passport photo that might be anyone... anyway that's my excuse for the funny looks I get from US Immigration. wink

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 15 2011 06:05 PM

Jogging amok is considered the same as running amok in the US. It is practiced by many women at events they call sales.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Nov 16 2011 12:20 PM

While shopping I prefer running with my arms akimbo. It clears a better path than running amok.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Nov 20 2011 06:43 PM

In today's set, I was given the Count of Porto Alegre, which is actually a position or rank and not a person's name. I think the correct name should have been Manuel Marques de Sousa, based on the answer of Brazilian 19th Century Military Officer.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 05 2011 09:30 AM

Australian former (24th) Prime Minster
Your answer: Paul Keating

Minster should be Minister
Posted by: highfells

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 19 2011 08:51 AM

Victor Herbert = (Irish-born German-raised American composer; conductor; cellist; a founder of ASCAP; 'Babes in Toylan)

Is there a bit missing at the end of this one?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Dec 31 2011 01:43 PM

I've only had limited time on FunTrivia for some time. I'm getting back to things I've let slide. Corrections have been made to entries noted here. I still have some changes to make that were PMd to me.

I've resumed collecting new entries for WAI. I have several hundred so far. I'm shooting for at least 700+ to get the database up to 10,000. If you have entries that you would like to see in the game send me a list of names. Descriptions are not necessary.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jan 01 2012 07:06 AM

Welcome back, Jmelston. We appreciate the work you've done to improve this game.

Happy new year !

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jan 01 2012 12:07 PM

'E Could Hear Others expressing the same sentiment

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jan 01 2012 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: mehaul
'E Could Hear Others expressing the same sentiment

what mehaul said...
what mehaul said...

wink

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 04 2012 05:34 PM

C. S. Lewis
Irish author of the 'Chronicles of Narnia'

You want to start the Troubles all over again? Jack Lewis was born in Belfast in 1898... I have a horrid feeling that the rumbling I can hear is him turning in his grave at the thought of being called "Irish".

Edited to correct typo.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 05 2012 12:52 PM

I don't get it, Flopsy... He was born in Ireland. Doesn't that make him Irish? Whether he wants to be Irish or not?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 05 2012 01:26 PM

He was born in Northern Ireland and in 1898... at that time the whole of Ireland was part of the United Kingdom, and a lot of people who lived there had settled there one or two generations previously, coming from other parts of the UK. And sometimes they hadn't really settled, they were there as part of the administration and left again when their job was done. It's quite possible that C S Lewis's family simply referred to themselves as British although quite often, but not always, people like that were called Anglo-Irish; they certainly weren't called Irish. There was a lot of snobbery around at the time, and social and religious divisions made it all very complicated, but as a general rule calling someone whose family was British or Anglo-Irish "Irish" would have been regarded, rightly or wrongly, as an insult. On top of that Lewis's family were Protestant, and they would have regarded being called "Irish" doubly insulting. I am by no means saying their attitudes were right, but C S Lewis would have been part of that group, that immigrant (some would say colonising) socio-economic class with all its religious overtones, and to call him "Irish" is simply not correct. I've said this before - being born during the 19th Century in what the 21st Century calls country X doesn't mean the person had the nationality which is now associated with that parcel of land; even now, if you call some people from Belfast "Irish" they'll smack you in the mouth, assuming they don't shoot you first. Northern Irish and Irish are not necessarily the same, Anglo-Irish and Irish are not the same, and Northern Irish/British is a whole different can of worms. wink

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 05 2012 01:33 PM

Head spinning, but I understand now.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 05 2012 01:38 PM

I am pretty sure from everything I have read that C.S. Lewis was self-proclaimed Irish. Just one quote from him talking about meeting up with his friend and fellow Irishman: "Like all Irish people who meet in England we ended by criticisms on the invincible flippancy and dulness of the Anglo-Saxon race. After all, there is no doubt that the Irish are the only people: with all their faults I would not gladly live or die among another folk." Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 05 2012 01:41 PM

For the record, that is from The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis: Family letters, 1905-1931 By Clive Staples Lewis and Walter Hooper. A great read if one is so inclined.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 05 2012 02:09 PM

Thanks for posting, bubblefun. I know quite a few people born in Northern Ireland who do consider themselves Irish, even from 3 generations ago. I wanted to find some evidence of what Lewis considered himself to be, and you saved me from having to research it.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 05 2012 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: shuehorn
Thanks for posting, bubblefun. I know quite a few people born in Northern Ireland who do consider themselves Irish, even from 3 generations ago. I wanted to find some evidence of what Lewis considered himself to be, and you saved me from having to research it.

Here is one more quote to save you research, lol. This is Lewis talking about his admiration for Yeats: "I am often surprised to find how utterly ignored Yeats is among the men I have met: perhaps his appeal is purely Irish – if so, then thank the gods that I am Irish."

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 05 2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: bubblesfun
Here is one more quote to save you research, lol. This is Lewis talking about his admiration for Yeats: "I am often surprised to find how utterly ignored Yeats is among the men I have met: perhaps his appeal is purely Irish – if so, then thank the gods that I am Irish."

Love it! Thanks.

smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 05 2012 10:44 PM

Flopsy: Snobbery occurs everywhere. Including my country. Including FT. That doesn't change simple facts, merely opinions of same. Opinions are not facts.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 11:24 AM

I agree with Jakeroo. I know it's a bit more indistinctive between Irish and Northern Irish, but I dare say considering yourself Irish doesn't make you Irish! The border between Ireland and Northern Ireland is political, sure, but then aren't nationalities?

EDIT: Then again, I'm considering the iffiness of considering someone from the entire island "Irish", where those of England, Scotland, and Wales (i.e. Great Britain) would be called "British". Would an Northern Irish call themselves British? I'll have to ask my Northern Irish friends! There perhaps ought be an adjective more relating to United Kingdom than to Britain, which doesn't include N. Ireland! Ahh, this confusing country. :P

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 11:44 AM

I don't think I get your point, Reeshy, if someone is born in Belfast and considers themselves Irish, how does that not make them Irish? What other criteria could there be? In general, I think sticking with how someone identifies themselves is the best way to go.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 11:50 AM

Exactly, whatever a person has said as what they consider themselves to be, that should take precedence over any other definitions based on others' points of view.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: shuehorn
Exactly, whatever a person has said as what they consider themselves to be, that should take precedence over any other definitions based on others' points of view.

Would that apply to innocence in a court of law?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 12:35 PM

Yes, innocent until proven guilty. Irish until proven British, lol.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 12:37 PM

I must say, my question about whether he was truly Irish or not was not intended to start a war about his nationality. :P

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bubblesfun
I don't think I get your point, Reeshy, if someone is born in Belfast and considers themselves Irish, how does that not make them Irish? What other criteria could there be?

Because Belfast is in Northern Ireland, which is a part of the UK and separate from the country Ireland. However, I have since learned that Irish citizenship is automatically given to those born in N. Ireland if one parent is Irish, and if neither parent is Irish, the N. Ireland resident is still entitled to Irish citizenship, so I think calling C.S. Lewis Irish is fine.

However, one must consider legality when denoting nationalities. An immigrant for example can consider themselves Australian (e.g.) if they have lived in Australia for a long time or something, but if they are still a US citizen and not an Australian one, then they are an American. It's not as simple as "whatever the person considers themselves to be", though I think on FunTrivia, we don't necessarily need to be so technical! Especially because of the iffiness (for lack of a better word) with N. Ireland and Ireland, anyway.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 04:45 PM

That makes sense. I guess part of the issue depends on how you read the term Irish, as a nationality or as an ethnicity. This involves the idea that people from both Northern Ireland and from the Republic of Ireland (and many other countries) can claim to be Irish without having citizenship.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 04:56 PM

Very true. I suppose it opens up a whole new can of worms!
Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 06 2012 10:04 PM

I found this discussion very informative though, so thanks to all who contributed.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:06 AM

And then came this:::

British-born nobility; later Irish; WWII pilot; author; journalist; farmer
Alberto Santos-Dumont
Placido Domingo
John Godley, 3rd Baron Kilbracken
Franz Schubert
Cliff Thorburn
Tito Gobbi
Answer: John Godley, 3rd Baron Kilbracken

One can later become Irish?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jan 08 2012 12:15 AM

Apparently so, if granted an Irish title!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jan 08 2012 01:42 PM

He became an Irish citizen after renouncing his British citizenship.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 17 2012 09:17 AM

Swiss-born French physcian; bacteriologist; codiscovered the bubonic plague bacillus
Your answer: Alexandre Yersin

physcian should be physician

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Feb 07 2012 08:13 PM

Scottish poetess; playwright; writer; current Poet Laureate of Britain
Blaise Pascal
Carol Ann Duffy
Fou Ts'ong
Baron Forte
Gary Player
Samuel Cunard

Is she still?
In any case, this needs to be rid of the 'current' adjective,
I see nothing wrong with just saying Poet Laureate of Britain which covers present and past,

Edit note: I didn't think I needed to post the answer. There is only one female listed as a possible poetess. Usually the gender of incorrect answers is quite agreeable with the actual answer.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Feb 12 2012 01:06 PM

Naomi Mitchison
Your answer: Scotish novelist; poetess; feminist; good friend of J. R. R. Tolkien

typo - spelling - Scottish
Posted by: glendathecat

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Feb 22 2012 02:36 PM

James Herriot
Your answer: Scottish veterinarian; author; 'All Creatures Great & Small'

The answer is correct except that I'm pretty sure (as is Wikipedia!) that he's not Scottish but English.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Feb 22 2012 04:08 PM

James Herriot - born in England, moved to Scotland at aged of 3 weeks...could reasonable be described as either English or Scottish.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Mar 03 2012 05:32 PM

8. American chemist; invented the pH meter; philanthroist; funded the first silicon transistor co.
Your answer: Arnold Orville Beckman

I believe there are two 'p's in philanthropist.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Mar 18 2012 02:48 PM

I don't believe anything anymore lol

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Mar 18 2012 05:18 PM

Another one ripe for the Harvest!

Well you aren't in Kansas anymore, believe it. Try moving to Missouri, the "Show Me" state where seeing is believing. I've used many Beckman meters and never knew the man. Thank you FT.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Mar 22 2012 08:25 AM

15. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
American architect; 'Less is more' & 'The Devil is in the Details'

Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (March 27, 1886 – August 17, 1969) was a German architect...he left his homeland reluctantly in 1937. - wiki

German-American architect would be more accurate.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 11 2012 08:47 PM

I just had
Angela Merkel = German female politician; current Chancellor

This isn't a problem right now, but made me wonder whether the rules about time-dependency that apply to quiz questions apply to this game as well. Should this be "Chancellor in early 21st century"? Or is "current" OK because JMElston is constantly reviewing the names?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Apr 12 2012 11:39 AM

Merkel's chancelorship will be stale one day. So the question needs to be altered (for example: "Chancellor from 2005" or "Eighth Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany").

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Apr 12 2012 04:24 PM

I believe that this thread would be the place to note the need for a change when it does happen. These descriptions are full of date dependent and time-stamped details, which do get changed as appropriate. Unlike quizzes, which we expect to stay unchanged forever, the description of people who are mid-career will change on a regular basis, and I have seen amendments made. I do not know, however, what the time lag may be between the change in real life and the update of information. It would certainly be a mammoth task to change all entries to remove details that will change with time, as there are a lot of them.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Apr 21 2012 05:00 PM

13. Hungarian-born American common law wife of Doc Holliday

Big Nose Kate = (Hungarian-born American common law wife of Doc Holliday)

I think it would be an improvement to include her full name and then add, known as Big Nose Kate. Her name was Mary Katherine Horony Cummings.

Sue

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 25 2012 09:50 AM

14. American film & TV actor; 'Seabiscuit' & 'Spiderman'
Your answer: Tobey Macguire

two typos - Spider-Man and Maguire
see imdb.com

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Apr 25 2012 01:19 PM

A minor typo - Izaak Waltons book was "The Compleat Angler. " as oppossed to Complete
I found a picture of the cover on this site: here

The Munro society also uses the spelling for those who climb all the Munroes - 'Compleaters' (and I have reached the top of the grand total of 1)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 15 2012 01:18 AM

Australian politician; civil engineer; lead Eureka Stockade rebellion

Your answer: Peter Lalor

Please let's get our grammar right - he led the rebellion!
Posted by: snediger

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed May 16 2012 12:35 PM

Anybody who has played all the games on this site has occasionally run across single questions that make no sense because (I'm guessing, now) they have been plucked willy-nilly from quizzes. These questions always demand a guess, pure and simple. They hold up in a quiz because the quiz provides a unifying format, but as single questions they are useless. Why are these questions showing up? Is it because of a computer program that ramdomly selects questions from quizzes and then spits them out? And, can anything be done about it, such as determining which questions from a selected number of quizzes can stand on their own?
Posted by: AdamM7

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed May 16 2012 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: snediger
Anybody who has played all the games on this site has occasionally run across single questions that make no sense because (I'm guessing, now) they have been plucked willy-nilly from quizzes. These questions always demand a guess, pure and simple. They hold up in a quiz because the quiz provides a unifying format, but as single questions they are useless. Why are these questions showing up? Is it because of a computer program that ramdomly selects questions from quizzes and then spits them out? And, can anything be done about it, such as determining which questions from a selected number of quizzes can stand on their own?

How is that relevant to Who Am I?

But yes, all questions go into a database and are chosen at random. I highly doubt anyone is going to wade through over 110,000 quizzes just because a couple of questions don't make sense.

If you find a question that doesn't stand alone, play the quiz the question is from. If the incorrect question from the quiz has been changed so it makes sense on its own, then the question is correct but the database hasn't caught up yet. If the question hasn't been changed, send a correction note.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed May 16 2012 01:10 PM

When you get a question that truly cannot be answered on its own, send a correction note, as AdamM7 described. If an editor agrees that the question is not suitable for the timed games, it can be withdrawn from the selection pool. But we don't have time to go through the hundreds of thousands of questions on the site and judge every question one at a time. (And, to the best of my knowledge, the only way I can remove a question from the pool is in response to a correction note on that specific question.)

Who Am I, however, does not come from quizzes, but from a separate database. That is why there is a thread for posting problems with those questions.
Posted by: snediger

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed May 16 2012 05:13 PM

OOOPS!
Sorry for posting in the wrong area. I'm a little new to the forums.
Posted by: Terry

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed May 30 2012 12:35 PM

Hmm I haven't seen JMelston around here for a while. Does anyone know if he's still active?
Posted by: AdamM7

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed May 30 2012 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Terry
Hmm I haven't seen JMelston around here for a while. Does anyone know if he's still active?

"Last Seen: May 30 12"

This was on his profile. Of course, if he never signs out, then that date will always show as today, but he earned ~3000 points yesterday and about half of that today (so far).

As for being active on the forums or this thread, I don't know.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jun 20 2012 06:00 PM

Danica Patrick - American IndyCar racer; spokeswoman; model

This should be updated, as now she is a former IndyCar racer and current NASCAR driver/racer smile
Posted by: nautilator

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jul 23 2012 10:18 AM

Honk Kong film actor; 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' (Chow Yun-Fat)

Should be Hong.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 23 2012 02:04 PM

English-born American Oscar-winning film actress; married many times; 'BUtterfield 8' & 'Cleopatra' (Elizabeth Taylor)

Minor issue with Butterfield.

edit: didn't know that, never mind.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 23 2012 02:12 PM

That's how it is written in the movie title, because it is part of a telephone number (dial BU8, or 288 to get the exchange serving the area featured in the film).
Posted by: sportsherald

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 24 2012 09:02 PM

This was a list provided for one question today:

British-born New Zealand politician; eighth Premier of New Zealand = (Julius Vogel)
French fashion designer = (Yves Saint-Laurent)
Anglo-American poet = (W. H. Auden)
Dutch Baroque painter = (Jan Vermeer)
French fashion designer = (Pierre Cardin)
French writer; philosopher; essayist; 'Candide' = (Voltaire)

The name given in that question was Julius Vogel, but if it had been Yves St. Laurent or Pierre Cardin, one would only have had a 50-50 chance of picking the right "French fashion designer."
Posted by: Lones78

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 24 2012 11:27 PM

It has been discussed previously that if two answers are the same then they are definitely NOT the answer.
Posted by: cubswin2323

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 11 2012 12:17 PM

12. American painter; illustrator
Your answer: Henry Sandham

He's listed by wiki as Canadian, and I didn't see a place to submit a CR on the answer page. He did some of his work in the U.S., but he's generally considered to be Canadian. Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Sandham

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 15 2012 04:15 AM

TODAYS WHO AM I:

"Austrian composer; father of Johann Strauss II

Your answer: Johann Strauss Sr."

This uses two different systems.

It is EITHER Johann Strauss I & II OR Johann Strauss Sr & Jr - you cant have both systems.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 15 2012 06:02 AM

We're lucky there wasn't a callout for Johann Strauss 3rd.
Posted by: Chavs

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 15 2012 06:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Midget40
TODAYS WHO AM I:

"Austrian composer; father of Johann Strauss II

Your answer: Johann Strauss Sr."

This uses two different systems.

It is EITHER Johann Strauss I & II OR Johann Strauss Sr & Jr - you cant have both systems.

Why can't it have both systems?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 15 2012 12:07 PM

As a rule of thumb, if one single author intermixes two different styles, he or she makes the reader very confused.

In this particular instance, the two styles come probably from two different sources, so it might be acceptable. Nevertheless, such a mixture leaves the audience flabbergasted.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 21 2012 03:26 PM

Thanks. I think it's okay here because of the quiz format - it's just an added part of the puzzle - but I like the high standards quizzers have here. I like that people are flabbergasted at the very sight of it! smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 21 2012 04:14 PM

Hey, I just like the word "flabbergasted" lol. Wondrous word. Oh sorry, this post probably more properly belongs in Word Wiz lol

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 25 2012 04:57 PM

Scotish novelist; poetess; feminist; good friend of J. R. R. Tolkien
Your answer: Naomi Mitchison

typo - should be Scottish
Posted by: gracie3

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 31 2012 04:42 AM

British female music hall entertainer; singer

Your answer: Lillie Langtry

Lillie Langtry was: British stage actress known as the 'Jersey Lily'

The correct answer was Gertie Gitana.

Both were Music hall singers.......
Posted by: robsen

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Nov 14 2012 05:41 AM

I resent that I was placed in the CHAMPION grouping for WAI.I play this game for relaxation not for competitive purposes....Please replace me in easy...I'm not familiar with Australian snooker players!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Nov 14 2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By: robsen
I resent that I was placed in the CHAMPION grouping for WAI.I play this game for relaxation not for competitive purposes....Please replace me in easy...I'm not familiar with Australian snooker players!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please place me in easy for every other game, I'm not familiar with American baseball players, basketball players, soap opera bit-part players, or state nicknames, state milkshakes, or state dirt. But I quite like WAI. grin

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Nov 14 2012 06:28 AM

With unfamiliar names, I play 'Who Am I Not' in the hope of getting the right one. Does it work? Not always, but more often than not.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Nov 14 2012 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: robsen

I am Australian, male, and like snooker, but I can only name ONE Australian player- Eddie Charlton, and he died in 2004.

I enjoy WAI, but it is quite frustrating at times- UK radio announcers vs US quiz show hosts can be annoying, as us poor people Down Under have never heard of any of them... smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Nov 14 2012 08:56 AM

There are two databases that are used for the WAI? One is for tough competition (Difficult) and the other (Easier) has fewer (I think) entries in its database. Here is the blurb from below the game selection buttons:
Quote:
Easier: More recognizable people, but fewer points.
Difficult: Some of these are very tough, but you can earn more points.
Champ: Players who have won Who Am I, Achievement, and Monthly badges automatically match up against one another in their own hard set.

I believe you must play the Difficult selection to earn points for your team, it's the Whozits point payout that is less for the Easier selection.

Either way, Robsen, your people will come from the same database as everyone else in your selection choice. Non-Champions get shown the same varied group of people as the Champs. As a non-champ who does like getting points for playing, I like that the champs are in a division of their own.
In other words, you would run into Australian Snooker players and British Train Engineers no matter whether you are a Champ or not. Enjoy the title, please.
Posted by: robsen

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 15 2012 10:52 AM

Where does anyone get the authority to say "you must" do something on this ostensibly enjoyable, relaxing website. I really think I MUST throw the towel in and switch to triviaplaza.........................

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:49 AM

I used the term must to indicate the vague reference to "points" in the Easier blurb. I do not believe you earn Team points by playing Easier mode. You earn whozits but no Team points. "You earn points in both Easier and Difficult but only from the Difficult are team points accrued", may have been a less imperative manner to have stated it.
It still is true that the Champs questions come from the same database as the non-Champ Difficult players so the challenge to you would be the same in Champs with possibly less chance of finishing on top because you are playing against minds with similar knowledge.
Does Easier have a Champs division? If not, maybe you could play there.

Edit to report further review of the game:
- A rollover of the 'Game Notes' at the top of the WAI? Game Home Page says champions play in their own division (now using sets 26-30). This, while also stating what entails the Easier mode, implies that Champions are restricted to play in their several divisions/sets.
- Underneath the Team V Team status links is a blurb that states that Easier mode does not generate points toward the monthly Team standing.
- A scan of the All sets results table shows some Champions are recording very large awards which benefit them and their Team. No Difficult players are listed in the top 100 results!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 15 2012 08:27 PM

1. Fictional character; secret identity of Spiderman

typo - Spider-Man

see marvel.com and imdb.com

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 16 2012 05:57 PM

Bell hooks
Your answer: African-American female author; feminist; social activist; born Gloria Jean Watkins

Her adopted pseudonym is intentionally spelled with a lower case b: bell hooks.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 17 2012 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: mehaul
Bell hooks
Your answer: African-American female author; feminist; social activist; born Gloria Jean Watkins

Her adopted pseudonym is intentionally spelled with a lower case b: bell hooks.

Maybe the system uses a capital letter because bell is the first word of what is considered a sentence.

What would the result be if the "Who Am I" gave e.e. cummings as the person to identify?
Posted by: zippolover

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 27 2012 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By: rossian
With unfamiliar names, I play 'Who Am I Not' in the hope of getting the right one. Does it work? Not always, but more often than not.

It works for me. Also, if three names are quoted, go for the American!
Posted by: maddogrick16

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 25 2013 01:36 PM

I play this game in the Champions mode. Like Robsen above, I'm a bit frustrated with the content of the game. Not so much about the relative obscurity of many of the people listed but the fact that so many of them are from the U.K.

In the game I played today, of the 15 questions, 11 were British, 4 were European and only 1 was from North America. I find that this was only SLIGHTLY abnormal and generally the subjects chosen for the questions do punish players from N. America and reward players from the U.K. Robsen had difficulty with Aussie pool players. I know nothing about British TV presenters, whatever they do! Is it possible that the game could be more balanced?
Posted by: Johnsnow

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 25 2013 04:07 PM

It is "Euro-heavy" quite often. After advancing to the Champs division, personally, it has become the worst game on the site (right next to FMI). Take today for instance. 10 questions about Europeans, 3 from the USA, 1 Argentinian, and a dude from Africa. Quite frankly, I'd rather come across the first person I recognize, answer the question, press enter and walk away with my measly 30 points. If I had a choice, I'd love to revert back to the easier game simply because I have actually heard of most of those people. Alas, I guess I should not have won the monthly badge. I'll get to the 50,000 point club in precisely 793 days from now. Looking forward to March '15...

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 25 2013 04:21 PM

Gosh, I find the game a bit hard too and really only play for team points - and yes champ is harder than ever and I don't particularly enjoy it -- but...

... the one bit I DO like about it is that it has European/UK people featured and not just North Americans.

At least you can guess by the look of the name if you don't know the answer whereas "American" gives absolutely no clue to a name - all names look American, lol!

I hadn't noticed a bias, but maybe North Americans don't notice how often games on here presume that Baseball, Hockey, NBA and American Presidents are easy questions?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 25 2013 05:22 PM

It's probably worth hashing over the history of the WAI database.

The original one was very definitely UK biased and was probably compiled in the 1970s, goodness knows where it came from.

Following howls of anguish, FT players of all nationalities were invited to submit names for the game and the database expanded greatly. Jmelston did sterling work in sorting it all out and he'd probably be able to give an idea of how many or what proportion of the names were submitted by FT players. I can remember one player submitting literally dozens of names of American Judges.

To my mind it is very well balanced now. Yes, there may be a lot of European names in it, but so what? There are a lot of countries in Europe. I can't see how it's any easier for a Brit to determine which name belongs to a Swiss composer than it is for an American to do so.
Posted by: MikeMaster99

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 25 2013 05:39 PM

Like Chavs, I find this game in Champ mode very challenging. I don't think there is an overabundance of names from any particular region. However I do think that Asia is very poorly represented. Inclusion of names from this region would undoubtedly mean my scores would be even lower!
Posted by: Jabberwok

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 25 2013 06:09 PM

I rather like the fact that the bias in this one game is towards Europeans and Australian, because elsewhere on the site the scales tip the other way. I'm never going to get the POG for Sunday for example!
It's just one game of the many.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Feb 02 2013 07:32 PM

Julie Andrews
Your answer: English stage, film & TV actress; singer; author; 'Mary Poppins' &'The Sound of Music'

There's a space missing in the description.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Feb 12 2013 05:40 PM

Adam Gottlob Oehlenschlager
Your answer: Danish poet; playwight; introduced romanticism into Danish literature; wrote danish natinal anthem

Typo: natinal should be national.
And if Danish is capitalized for "Danish literature" then it should also be capitalized for "danish national anthem".
Posted by: WesleyCrusher

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Feb 14 2013 01:50 PM

There have been two messages in site feedback today with regard to Jimmy Savile. Can you please remove him from the Who am I database? He's no longer a person whose inclusion is really appropriate.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 15 2013 08:23 AM

German Pontiff; current head of the Catholic Church

Your answer: Pope Benedict XVI

This question will either have to be reworded on this or a different answer provided

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Apr 09 2013 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
There have been two messages in site feedback today with regard to Jimmy Savile. Can you please remove him from the Who am I database? He's no longer a person whose inclusion is really appropriate.

He's still there - I had the same question today.
Posted by: AlonsoKing

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Apr 29 2013 12:35 PM

Found a time dependency in today's 'Who Am I' but then I saw it was already reported a while ago:

Originally Posted By: Midget40
German Pontiff; current head of the Catholic Church

Your answer: Pope Benedict XVI

This question will either have to be reworded on this or a different answer provided

Apparently it hasn't been fixed yet so I thought I'd report it again. The question was in today's set 15, (if that's helpful).

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri May 24 2013 03:15 PM

What are the guidelines for when initials are included in the database? I had two this round: one was Charles Stewart Parnell, a person I imagine many of the players here would be familiar with, and the other was Emile Rustom. I only got Rustom right because of the initials -- even though I follow international soccer to a certain extent, I am not up-to-date on the Lebanese national team.

My point is just that including initials for some of the most obscure people might be a useful tip, but it doesn't really seem to me that Parnell is that obscure.
Posted by: Barbarini

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jun 16 2013 09:26 AM

Another correction please...

Henry Sandham - American painter; illustrator

Was actually Canadian. Born in Montreal.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jun 29 2013 03:34 PM

Danish poet; playwight; introduced romanticism into Danish literature; wrote danish natinal anthem

Typo: should be Danish national anthem