Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges

Posted by: Terry

Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 11:35 AM

The long-term success and interest of the "daily challenge" feature will be in us adding new challenges periodically to keep things interesting and reduce repeats.

So feel free to use this thread to suggest your own challenges. Feel free to be as creative as you want.

Whenever you suggest an idea, give us an idea about what difficultly level you think that each of your ideas is.

I will then read through this thread when looking for new challenge ideas in the months to come and pick out some that are both technically feasible and look good.

Thanks!
Terry
Posted by: naerulinnupesa

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 01:19 PM

How about this: you have to get 0 correct answers in an hourly game (same rules as Impossible - all answers must be filled in). That would be a difficult challenge.
Posted by: WesleyCrusher

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 02:01 PM

Something that requires the player to play a larger than normal number of questions in one timed session (similar to a timed FTBot quiz but with more questions). Could be medium with 30 questions and hard with 50+.
Posted by: guitargoddess

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 02:22 PM

- "Suggest a title in the Author Challenges" (probably Easy)
- "Find and play a a quiz that went online in March 2006 (or whatever random date)" (probably Easy)
- "Score perfectly on any quiz in the French subcategory" (probably Medium)
- "Win any badgelet you don't already have" (Difficult)
- "Play and rate 5 photo quizzes" (Easy or Medium depending on how many Qs you have to get right)
- "Play a Tough rated quiz from every quiz category" (Difficult)
Posted by: AdamM7

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: guitargoddess

I thought that there was already a difficult challenge for winning a badge or badgelet, but that it was only given to players under level 100.
Posted by: triviaking162

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 02:46 PM

Play X quizzes of the hour and get at least 50% on all of them. (Depending on how many - easy to difficult)

Play 3 quizzes in the Forgotten Gems section of FunTrivia and rate them. (Easy - no score necessary)

Finish in the Top 5 or 10 of players with your set in a Daily Game (who am I, mind melt, etc)

They can be made for all daily games.

That would be difficult (top 5) and medium for top 10.

Edit: Yes, there is already a difficult challenge for getting a badgelet, GG.
Posted by: salami_swami

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

I have issues with this one, GG.

As non-editors, we can only submit 3 titles (though it allows four for some reason). If we already have titles submitted (and I usually do), it's already a challenge we cannot attempt that day.

Quote:
- "Find and play a a quiz that went online in March 2006 (or whatever random date)" (probably Easy)

Seconded.

Quote:
- "Score perfectly on any quiz in the French subcategory" (probably Medium)

Or any subcategory, for that matter. Force us to delve deeper into subcategories. We can make the requirements a little more lenient, as well, because not everyone can score perfectly in a French quiz. :P I like the idea, GG, and it can be used to any random subcategory, certain amount correct to go in easy, medium, AND difficult.

Quote:
Play 3 quizzes in the Forgotten Gems section of FunTrivia and rate them.

While I like this one, that list doesn't seem to be very accurate. What constitutes a quiz as a "forgotten gem"? That list also seems to change every time I click the link. :P

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 02:58 PM

Maybe it could be made difficult? Find X quizzes that has been on for at least 6 months and has less than 150 plays. Play and rate it. It would be like an obscure scavenger hunt.

Also you could do top 20% (difficult) or 50% (medium) for the daily games idea.
Posted by: demurechicky

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 03:35 PM

Perhaps as the game progresses, there could be a 'write a quiz'...in say, for example, 14 days, not an immediate challenge, but a 'challenge in progress'. Perhaps there could be other challenges like this, like write '10 new questions' and have them accepted to the new question game. Just a thought.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 03:56 PM

Hmm, I don't know, I like there being new challenges every day, not an outstanding challenge that will remain for 14 days or until you complete it.

Perhaps Project Q will take care of that for us. wink

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: salami_swami
Quote:

I have issues with this one, GG.

As non-editors, we can only submit 3 titles (though it allows four for some reason). If we already have titles submitted (and I usually do), it's already a challenge we cannot attempt that day.

Well, you could always delete one of your submitted titles that hasn't been claimed to submit a new one.
Posted by: Rowena8482

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 04:13 PM

Find and play a quiz that went online the day you joined FunTrivia (or on your Anniversary in any year just in case there have been days when zero quizzes went online?) and score X number of correct answers. Could be any level depending on how many correct answers are required.
Posted by: demurechicky

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 04:17 PM

Oh I like that one Rowena!
Posted by: mehaul

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 05:00 PM

Create and submit a challenge that is accepted for future use. (difficult)

If this is for the future: Create a 'scratch and sniff' quiz for full sensory mode quizzes running on the iFeel platform.
Posted by: kyleisalive

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 07:00 PM

Quote:
Perhaps Project Q will take care of that for us. wink

No time limits with this one.
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 05 2012 07:04 PM

I agree with you GG. The challenges are mostly about "choices". Either you do what you have to do to get it, or you trade it out for something else, or simply "write it off".

Also, I believe there is (or was) some prerequisite to suggesting a challenge title. I can't remember what it was (and it doesn't show on my screen anymore) but I think it had something to do with having to have had "x" number of quizzes online before you could submit a title. If that's still the case, then (although some people might not be able to suggest one on THE DAY they got the challenge) it could potentially have a positive effect on encouraging people to write a few themselves in case they get that challenge again : )

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 12:23 AM

Oh, I didn't remember you could delete a title. :-P
Posted by: ASA

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 01:49 AM

Send a welcome PM to someone that has joined FT in the last 2 hours. Easy

Have five goes at finding a mystery quiz in a nominated area i.e. Harry Potter Characters , which currently has 156 quizzes or further down to the Weasleys which has 19 and for this example Perfect Percy would sound ideal.
Posted by: George95

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 05:37 AM

Qualify (or in most cases re-qualify) for X number of Achievement badges

So, score 10/10 40 seconds in PoC, 10/10 in 80 seconds on WTS, 15/15 in 90 on Expert... all in the same day (difficult)

Submit 3 New Questions in one day.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 05:59 AM

Originally Posted By: George95

And what happens if you have already got the maximum questions in the queue (5, I think)? Do you get it automatically?
Posted by: kaddarsgirl

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 06:29 AM

So, score 10/10 40 seconds in PoC, 10/10 in 80 seconds on WTS, 15/15 in 90 on Expert... all in the same day (difficult)

This already exists. I've played it. You have to submit 3 in 3 different categories. There's also one for 2 in 2 different categories, and one for just submitting a single question.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 07:12 AM

I thought it did kaddarsgirl. I just haven't had it yet.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl

This already exists. I've played it. You have to submit 3 in 3 different categories. There's also one for 2 in 2 different categories, and one for just submitting a single question.

Well, what happens in those if you've already got 5 in a queue?

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:03 AM

Seconded. Sounds cool!
Posted by: Julia103

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:52 AM

Play one of the Point Tree bonus games and score more than the "Highest average scores of all players playing so far this week" for that category (difficult for levels 20-59, medium for levels 60+, difference due to number of possible attempts allowed)

I like this one too.
Posted by: Starlord

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: guitargoddess

(Difficult)

This wouold be unfair to someone who already has all the badgelets, I know the number is very small, but it would be impossible for them as it would be if any badgelet someone still required, but couldn't win it on that particular day because of the conditions of the badge e.g. Fantasy KO 4 out of 7 which is only awarded on a Saturday.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 07:07 PM

Then again, it's the same sort of thing as the 'Win any badge' Difficult challenge. It's automatically barred out for those over a certain level (at which point it would be virtually impossible).
Posted by: gracious1

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 06 2012 09:30 PM

Similar to the Time Warp challenge, but a lot less involved...

Search for a quiz that came online at least 8 years ago today and score at least 50%. (So for today, 6 Oct 2012 it would be 2004 or earlier). The Time Warp challenge covers only seven years, so this could be pretty interesting.

I see this as a HARD challenge. The most challenging part really is the search, so if it's *too* hard, perhaps instead of answering 50% of the questions, perhaps 40%? Either way, I think it could be engaging.

Posted by: lorance79

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 07 2012 03:33 AM

Seconding guitar goddess' idea:

"Find and play a a quiz that went online in March 2006 (or whatever random date)"

I like the idea of giving exposure to perfectly good quizzes that have been around for a while, in a way that gives the player more options to choose from than "select some from this specific list".

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 07 2012 03:37 AM

I also like Julia's idea of including the Point Tree in a challenge (if it's not already). A bit of a neglected area, I suspect.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Oct 09 2012 12:24 PM

Medium Challenge (Gold Member): Make a change to your profile (Avatar)
Easy Challenge (all members): Make a change to your profile (Location, Hobbies or Comments)

Edit: those both would be to the game/quiz side profile, not the Forums profile. Also, it might be nice to cache the profile before a challenge change with the promise that the profile will revert to the original after the day's done. Giving folks the exercise in making the changes might spur them come back and update their profile on a non-challenge day.
Posted by: Chavs

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Oct 10 2012 12:11 PM

Apologies if this has already been suggested or already exists!

I've been playing the "I'm the Expert!" challenge today against another player. ("Whoever holds the highest score today in a single Who's the Expert hourly game at midnight will win this challenge. Only your first 4 plays of this game today will be considered for this challenge, so pick your attempts wisely!")

Love it, by the way, and am waiting nervously to be wiped out as I speak.

Has it been (or Can it be) replicated to include other hourly games too such as Word Wizard, Smartest or even Quiz of the Hour? (Difficult level).

I love the one v one (twin) aspect - anything could happen - and the 4 game limit. I think more "twin/nemesis" set ups would be fun and could be used in various games, even just scoring higher on a specific quiz?

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Oct 10 2012 12:53 PM

I believe the reason it is only set to expert is because it is a more even playing field. It depends on which category comes up; anyone could win. With easy game, for instance, there are some people who average 15 seconds or less, and that could be tricky to beat in a day.

Expert is more well-rounded, and it could be any category, so it's better for others.

Granted, I like the idea of having more of these, but I have a feeling they won't be made. wink
Posted by: reeshy

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Oct 10 2012 01:30 PM

I agree; Expert is less a speed contest than other games.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Oct 10 2012 02:39 PM

Hmm. That seems a good point. My plan is foiled. You pesky kids! wink

PS I think maybe Quiz of the Hour is similar to Expert though??

Edited to cross out Q of the H suggestion. Far too open to cheating accusations.

How about Fill Me In? Too random? Or just random enough to make it a fair fight!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Oct 10 2012 04:39 PM

I do like the idea, though! I was thinking perhaps Obscurity or Gold Madness, as it's a more level playing field, but then it would only be available to Gold Members. Quiz of the Hour would work though!
Posted by: Buddy1

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Oct 10 2012 04:58 PM

There's nothing wrong with it being Gold Members only. There are several challenges already that are Gold Members only.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Oct 10 2012 05:20 PM

Yep, I think it would be a good challenge, but just mentioned that it'd be Gold in case Chavs isn't a GM. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 02:41 AM

Yes, I thought about Obscurity being suitable too and don't see a GM-only challenge as a bad thing. And the New Questions game (although it's a daily) might be another candidate?

(I'm not gold, but I'm treating myself to it for my next birthday. I was going to buy an anti-wrinkle cream but then I decided that wrinkles are all in the mind.)

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 02:46 AM

What about a Nemesis challenge where you have to beat your partner's score in a given game (selected by the system) in the Global Challenge. You'd have two goes at it in a 24 hour period, and while you might be in different divisions the topic could just as well suit the player with the harder set as the other way around. So there seems like enough randomness to ensure that you'd have a decent chance at winning at least sometimes.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: lorance79
What about a Nemesis challenge where you have to beat your partner's score in a given game (selected by the system) in the Global Challenge. You'd have two goes at it in a 24 hour period, and while you might be in different divisions the topic could just as well suit the player with the harder set as the other way around. So there seems like enough randomness to ensure that you'd have a decent chance at winning at least sometimes.

I like something like this-- doesn't even need to be GC. Could be 'beat so-and-so's score in this hourly game over the course of the day'. Whoever winds up with the highest score for the day wins. Could work for cumulative total for the day too.

Or you could work together for a cumulative score in an hourly game for Twin.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
[quote=lorance79]Or you could work together for a cumulative score in an hourly game for Twin.

Ooh, yeah, how about this: You and your twin agree on an hourly game and between you score above a given total by midnight. The total to aim for could be higher if you decide the game between you than an alternative challenge where the system assigns the game to you.

========================

Another suggestion: play X quizzes [or score Y points on quizzes] authored by any members of Team Z.
Posted by: Rowena8482

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 05:45 AM

Originally Posted By: lorance79
[quote=lorance79]Or you could work together for a cumulative score in an hourly game for Twin.

Ooh, yeah, how about this: You and your twin agree on an hourly game and between you score above a given total by midnight. The total to aim for could be higher if you decide the game between you than an alternative challenge where the system assigns the game to you.

========================

Another suggestion: play X quizzes [or score Y points on quizzes] authored by any members of Team Z.

That does rely on both twins being here, online, and willing to play along so to speak. It could lead to bad feeling/snippy messages if one twin "let the other one down" and the one putting the effort in didn't get credit for something their partner didn't/couldn't do.
Especially if someone going for the 10 a Day ended up with it and their twin wouldn't/couldn't help.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 08:27 AM

We originally decided not to come up with cumulative twin challenges because, as mentioned, it relies on both being there. We also decided against the cumulative nemesis challenge because that involves players having to play every hour. We ended up choosing only the expert nemesis one, with only four games possibly counted because it is the most even playing field there can be. So many categories come up, and you can choose any four to count towards your challenge. Only four games can possibly count (and only the top of all games will count, anyway) but if it were a cumulative game, it would be near impossible to beat players who play 23 hours a day and score 15 every hour (I, personally, need more sleep than that).

I also do not think this will work as well for other games. I could be wrong, but I thought it was originally suggested and rejected in the testing thread.

Personally, I like the idea for competing against someone in all the games; I pick certain players in the games and compete with them in my mind as it is... But I foresee problems with them, and I think those problems were already addressed somewhere in the multitude of pages of the beta thread. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 09:24 AM

I also do not think this will work as well for other games. I could be wrong, but I thought it was originally suggested and rejected in the testing thread.

I asked about in the testing thread, and yes, it was rejected, mostly because of speed demons in certain games. Expert! alone is the most even playing field, and you never know which category you'll be good at if you try.

I had also suggested a cumulative twin, which was also shot down in the testing thread. Now that I'm not brainstorming for ideas anymore, I understand the reasoning behind not including it.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 09:46 AM

Exactly! While brainstorming, everything sounds good. But, looking at it with a new perspective, finding new challenges is trickier than expected. smile
Posted by: Tizzabelle

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 11:32 AM

I love a good scavenger hunt. It's the thrill of the chase trying to track down those elusive quizzes. I did enjoy (but don't want to repeat) Mission Impossible. So I'd love a few scavenger hunts but without the quiz titles being given to you. I'd love to see something like
"Play __ quizzes with the word ___ in the title in at least ___ categories and score at least _ ."
I'd also make it that the player couldn't use the most obvious category so if it the word was "cat", any Animals quizzes wouldn't count. If the word was "cheese", Hobbies quizzes would be excluded.

Another way to do it would be to have themed scavenger hunts e.g. having to find 10 quizzes with at least one of the following words in them: hearts, clubs, diamonds, spades, and joker. You must find at least one quiz with each word in it i.e. one with Heart, one with club etc.
This sort of thing could be done with lots of topics - dogs, cats, birds etc, fruits and/or vegetables, people/things found in a hospital/school/gym/circus, people/things in "Titanic", Jack Nicholson movie titles, rooms in houses, musical instruments, sports etc, etc, etc.
Posted by: JanIQ

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 11:58 AM

I second Tizza's scavenger hunt.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 04:20 PM

I don't understand the challenge of WtE where only top four are counted toward whether your top beats the Nemesis top. Isn't top score top score, irrelevant of what third or second or fourth from the top were? So why isn't the fifth top counted? It's a non-winner by definition, as is second.
If you were to average the top four and then best average won, I'd understand the use of top four. But if a single game is used it makes no matter. Did I misinterpret something?
Posted by: looney_tunes

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 04:30 PM

Only being able to score four times means you need to use some strategy, and pick topics with which you are comfortable (or not so comfortable, if you are running out of time in the day), rather than just playing every set all day long. It adds an extra dimension to the game play.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 04:36 PM

I thought it meant you could play four times and the highest of your four scores would be compared to your opponent's highest score. So don't waste your four plays on topics you're not confident in.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 05:19 PM

Thanks to both of you. That unconfuses some of the language I've read. "Only Four Count" in the challenge. Shouldn't that then be referred to as "1st 4"? The sixth play being good toward daily score but not the challenge score?
Posted by: Julia103

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 11 2012 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle
I love a good scavenger hunt. It's the thrill of the chase trying to track down those elusive quizzes. I did enjoy (but don't want to repeat) Mission Impossible. So I'd love a few scavenger hunts but without the quiz titles being given to you. I'd love to see something like
"Play __ quizzes with the word ___ in the title in at least ___ categories and score at least _ ."
I'd also make it that the player couldn't use the most obvious category so if it the word was "cat", any Animals quizzes wouldn't count. If the word was "cheese", Hobbies quizzes would be excluded.

Another way to do it would be to have themed scavenger hunts e.g. having to find 10 quizzes with at least one of the following words in them: hearts, clubs, diamonds, spades, and joker. You must find at least one quiz with each word in it i.e. one with Heart, one with club etc.
This sort of thing could be done with lots of topics - dogs, cats, birds etc, fruits and/or vegetables, people/things found in a hospital/school/gym/circus, people/things in "Titanic", Jack Nicholson movie titles, rooms in houses, musical instruments, sports etc, etc, etc.

I like this idea too.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 12 2012 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the ideas. I haven't read this thread in any sort of detail, and likely won't until I decide to do a round of additions. But I certainly will take this thread's ideas into consideration when we do get to that!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 12:39 PM

"Play X quizzes of the hour and get at least 50% on all of them. (Depending on how many - easy to difficult)"

2 challenges added from this suggestion. Triviaking, you have been granted the 2 challenges for testing. Go ahead!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 12:43 PM

Gotta love those new challenges. laugh

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 01:08 PM

"Suggest a title in the Author Challenges" (probably Easy)

Added. Guitargoddess gets it to test!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 01:13 PM

Hehe. I don't why that word tickles me so much. :P

Would it be too cruel to have a challenge in the "difficult" section being "complete three challenges today"? Of course, this would not be complete until you got 3 complete, so you would HAVE to purchase one for the day.

Too cruel, isn't it? Hmmm, never mind. :P

Weird, it didn't let me post this originally because the post I was apparently replying too was deleted. wink

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 01:15 PM

"Too cruel, isn't it? Hmmm, never mind. :P"

I actually like that one.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 01:25 PM

If you add anymore today, I'll test one!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 02:02 PM

Cool, my idea was used! I'll do my best to test it!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 09:24 PM

Hehe. I don't why that word tickles me so much. :P

Would it be too cruel to have a challenge in the "difficult" section being "complete three challenges today"? Of course, this would not be complete until you got 3 complete, so you would HAVE to purchase one for the day.

I am still a fair few away from getting the twenty-twenty-twenty badge, but I can imagine getting as the difficult one on the day " earn a fun trivia badge".
Posted by: Mariamir

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 09:35 PM

I like salami's idea a lot, and the ones that have been added/ are being tested.

What about a medium/difficult challenge with a poem or anagram in which you need to decipher a category or subcategory, then play a quiz in it

or:

Difficult:

Play a quiz in x categories in x order scoring x in each(e.g. Animals, then People, then Video Games)

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 10:27 PM

I like a scrambled category idea. Maybe easy to implement.

You must play a quiz and score x correct in a certain subcategory in x main category. But the subcategory appears as a string of letters! Unscramble to reveal your mystery category!

I like it. :-)

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Oct 18 2012 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Chavs

PS I think maybe Quiz of the Hour is similar to Expert though??
Edited to cross out Q of the H suggestion. Far too open to cheating accusations.

What do you mean? One can cheat on any of the games, really.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 19 2012 11:49 PM

While we're at it, is it possible to add something so that players can see other people's progress in the Daily Challenges? Like when we were testing, we could see what was happening (except for Wes near the end...I'd have braved the Wespires and Weswolves but we weren't allowed to wink ). I was thinking of something similar, maybe just for players on a person's friends list. Is this possible? I'd really like to see it.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 19 2012 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Mariamir
While we're at it, is it possible to add something so that players can see other people's progress in the Daily Challenges? Like when we were testing, we could see what was happening (except for Wes near the end...I'd have braved the Wespires and Weswolves but we weren't allowed to wink ). I was thinking of something similar, maybe just for players on a person's friends list. Is this possible? I'd really like to see it.

You can add anyone to your friends list though...they don't even have to know they're on it if you uncheck the box that shows up when you want to add them. There'd have to be some kind of approval system...

I do dearly miss our shared pages though. It was really nice to see how everyone else was doing, and to see challenges they were getting that I didn't get a chance to play myself.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 12:00 AM

You can add anyone to your friends list though...they don't even have to know they're on it if you uncheck the box that shows up when you want to add them. There'd have to be some kind of approval system...

I do dearly miss our shared pages though. It was really nice to see how everyone else was doing, and to see challenges they were getting that I didn't get a chance to play myself.

Well, that's a different issue. What I meant was that a player could see the progress of the players on his/her profile (no point in seeing the whole site's progress).

What you're saying is that people's Daily Challenges could be watched without them knowing...which isn't a problem unless they DON'T want to be seen. In which case forget this idea. I still think it's a good one, though. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 12:21 AM

Or, at the very least, a "most challenges completed" list for easy, medium, hard, epic, and total.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 02:56 AM

Or, at the very least, a "most challenges completed" list for easy, medium, hard, epic, and total.

Eek - At the very least??! But what other information would you require?

I really like that these are personal challenges, not related to anyone else's progress, no race, no list, just between me and my quizGod. For some reason, I think lists would spoil that.

Nothing to stop a forum/messageboard thread where people just tell each other how many challenges they've finished. Don't know why a list would add any value at all, though, and for me it would take away some of the USP value.

Originally Posted By: gracious1
What do you mean? One can cheat on any of the games, really.

I suppose so. smile
Quiz of the Hour offers more chances maybe. I don't know, lol!
Posted by: dippo

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:52 AM

I'd like to see it within teams.
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 06:03 AM

I don't want my team to know... I like to sneak up on them. wink

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 06:09 AM

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
I don't want my team to know... I like to sneak up on them. wink

You mean you're not at the head of the herd ?! smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 08:53 AM

Tizz, we keep her locked in a corner with chains. She doesn't even get the greenest grass in to graze. wink

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 09:07 AM

I'm calling the RSPCA!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:05 PM

hmm, often it's the opposite with one-of-a-kind wabbits. Usually, you unique on THEM lol

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:05 PM

The elders of the Funtrivia Account Reporting Team (Old FARTs) strongly oppose the establishment of any revelation of challenge progress outside the individual's challenge page itself. Afterall, doesn't going there to see things enter the player into some of the challenges? If status was listed elsewhere there would be fewer participants, a lose-lose proposition.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:14 PM

Quote:
Afterall, doesn't going there to see things enter the player into some of the challenges? If status was listed elsewhere there would be fewer participants, a lose-lose proposition.

Being entered into challenges doesn't mean you need to complete them. You don't lose anything by starting them.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:19 PM

What I said was (deciphered) that if some go elsewhere to see their challenge status, there will be fewer entering the challenge playing list. Nothing to do with the non-players, everything to do with the entered players.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: mehaul
What I said was (deciphered) that if some go elsewhere to see their challenge status, there will be fewer entering the challenge playing list. Nothing to do with the non-players, everything to do with the entered players.

I don't understand what you're talking about. Why would less people go to the challenges list? That's the only way to view what your Daily Challenges are...

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 01:42 PM

Quote:
What I said was (deciphered) that if some go elsewhere to see their challenge status, there will be fewer entering the challenge playing list.

I'm really confused as well-- why would this have any effect? Having tallies listed in your profile would only allow other people to see your progress. It won't change whether or not people will play the challenges.

confused

I also don't get why 'entered players' has any effect on anything. Like I said, just because you entered doesn't mean you have to complete the challenges at all. It has no effect on anything except (maybe) twin and nemesis challenges which, if you don't participate, can still be won by your twin/adversary.
Posted by: zonko

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 02:46 PM

How about using the Triathlon for some challenges.

Score a certain amount of Tri Points in a FT day. So for example ,easy get 5 points, medium score 25 points and hard score 50 points.

In one Triathlon set score a set amount points, 1 for easy, 11 for medium and 21 for hard.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:09 PM

To those who are in a fog:
People have proposed having the challenge status listed in a table somewhere or on their profile pages. I don't think either of those places would qualify as the challenge page and would therefore not trigger entry into the challenges. If you put them elsewhere and had an entry autolinked to the challenge, you'd have people who are looking for their total brains number being then entered into the challenges with no intention of participating.

Quote:
It has no effect on anything except (maybe) twin and nemesis challenges

Now I'm confused. "No effect except" which is an effect. You cannot prove a statement by merely stating its opposite doesn't exist and condition that with the existence of said opposite.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: zonko

Score a certain amount of Tri Points in a FT day. So for example ,easy get 5 points, medium score 25 points and hard score 50 points.

In one Triathlon set score a set amount points, 1 for easy, 11 for medium and 21 for hard.

It is used in some challenges, the first time I got one I had to figure out what the heck a FunTrivia Triathlon was.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Now I'm confused. "No effect except" which is an effect. You cannot prove a statement by merely stating its opposite doesn't exist and condition that with the existence of said opposite.

The point is that it doesn't matter. Even in two person games like Nemesis/Twin/Duel, all three games can be won by one person. Only one person is actually needed to win Twin, even though two scores are compared. In Twin, for example, one partner can score 0, and the other can score 2500/5000/10000 and still win it for both people. It wouldn't make any difference whether the second person played at all after accessing the page. Whether someone accidentally clicks the challenges or intentionally clicks them has no bearing on any part of the game. I'm sure there are a lot of people now who click the link on the homepage out of pure curiosity and then don't bother with playing any of the challenges that are generated.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:24 PM

Therefore, with no one playing opposite, the "challenge" disappears.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:27 PM

Some are easy and some are not. It's the luck of the draw, really. It's like the easy challenge that asks you to bank 10 questions in the Quick Quiz. That's no challenge at all for me. It takes less than 2 minutes for me to accomplish, even with guessing on ones I don't already know the answer to.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:27 PM

Quote:
People have proposed having the challenge status listed in a table somewhere or on their profile pages.

I get that.

Quote:
I don't think either of those places would qualify as the challenge page and would therefore not trigger entry into the challenges. If you put them elsewhere and had an entry autolinked to the challenge, you'd have people who are looking for their total brains number being then entered into the challenges with no intention of participating.

I don't get this.

The table/status listing would simply tell how many challenges people have finished; it doesn't need to trigger anything. What does brains have anything to do with this? Why does it matter if they have no intent on participating? Like I've said more than once now, even if you click into the challenge pages, you aren't forced to complete them. Earlier, you said it was a lose-lose situation; I replied that there's no losing; it makes it sound like trying the challenges is a bad thing. This is what I meant by "It has no effect on anything except (maybe) twin and nemesis challenges"; registering for your daily challenges won't hurt other peoples' chances and you won't be penalized whatsoever. The only challenges you have influence in (if you want to) would be Twin and Nemesis, and even if you don't do anything about them, the other participant can still complete them.

Quote:

If I said 'there is nothing in the fridge except a banana', one should understand that the banana is the only exception to the fact that nothing is in the fridge, even if it's not grammatically-sound. (There's no easy way to explain this without tearing apart the parts of the sentence, so I won't. Way too much of an aside.)

------

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming for ideas for new challenges.

The Triathlon is in there in some capacity-- I've done at least one challenge that has needed those particular hourlies.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

It depends on what you think is a challenge. What's difficult for one person is easy for another (and vice versa). For some, point precision is a difficult feat.

It doesn't literally disappear-- you still have to complete it.

Some people don't show for their Knockout game-- doesn't mean you don't still have to play to get your points.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: zonko

The problem I see with having to score Tri Points for a challenge is that people in the "Amateur" division, like myself, aren't even eligible to earn Tri Points, no matter how well they score. The challenge I've seen that deals with the Triathlon asks you to score in a certain percentage of your division, which means it is available for all players to attempt.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 03:45 PM

The challenge I've seen that deals with the Triathalon asks you to score in a certain percentage of your division, which means it is available for all players to attempt.

The one I get (quite a lot!) says I have to be in the top five. So with yours that's two Triathlon challenges at least.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:15 PM

To those who are in a fog:
People have proposed having the challenge status listed in a table somewhere or on their profile pages. I don't think either of those places would qualify as the challenge page and would therefore not trigger entry into the challenges. If you put them elsewhere and had an entry autolinked to the challenge, you'd have people who are looking for their total brains number being then entered into the challenges with no intention of participating.

Quote:

May I point out that first, the "table somewhere" was a list of players who had completed the most Daily Challenges. Sort of like Cumulative Mind Melt points. Second, no one said anything about putting Daily Challenges in the player's profile. Neither of these would have any affect on how many Daily Challenges are completed. In fact, seeing each other's progress would be via the Daily Challenges page. And third, I'm not quite getting your point, either. confused

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:18 PM

Quote:
...nothing in the fridge except a banana...

means there is indeed something in the icebox (not a place to store bananas by the way). Is one to understand that there is another side to what is being stated whenever something is said? That truth is really just lies sometimes?

And as far as no one saying putting the numbers on the profile page, please read the thread...
What I meant was that a player could see the progress of the players on his/her profile

Also, the point is not how many challenges are finished or completed but how many one sided challenges might get issued. Luck of the draw is not the same as a seeding sheet with vacancies.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:31 PM

Mariamir reiterated what I thought was meant by numbers on the profile; I don't get all the extra stuff you're throwing into it, as I've already said.

Quote:
Also, the point is not how many challenges are finished or completed but how many one sided challenges might get issued. Luck of the draw is not the same as a seeding sheet with vacancies.

What?

I'm out on this one-- I just don't get it anymore (it's extremely confusing going back-and-forth, and I can only imagine how confusing it is for others who're looking here for answers).

Quote:
Is one to understand that there is another side to what is being stated whenever something is said? That truth is really just lies sometimes?

As I already said, I'm not explaining this-- it's way too much of an aside and I think you're looking too deep into something that only needs to be read at surface level.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:34 PM

And as far as no one saying putting the numbers on the profile page, please read the thread...
What I meant was that a player could see the progress of the players on his/her profile

You read it as a dangling modifier. It is "the players who are on his/her profile" not "seeing the progress on the profile".

One sided challenges have nothing to do with this, besides, you still get the credits without a partner.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:44 PM

Okay most Daily challenges are set up to see if we can outdo ourselves. Then someone got interplayer challenges added to the mix (which is fine by me). Now some want player performance posted as if it were interplayer challenges as the point to the whole effort. I'm saying keep daily challenges as they are, with status and performance history on just the challenge page itself, not on profiles or in tables somewhere. It's that aspect of making the thing another competition between members that I do not want to see happen.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:49 PM

Quote:
Now some want player performance posted as if it were interplayer challenges as the point to the whole effort.

That's like saying that the Bus Ride is an interplayer game because we list who's completed the most quizzes. For some it may be; for others it isn't.

It's only a competition if you want it to be. This is the same argument as 'you don't need to play the challenges, even if you open the page'. It won't hurt anyone and it's certainly not a lose-lose.

I'm still confused about brains in this mix and 'being added to the challenges' and all that other stuff brought up before, but I'd rather not hear the reason for it. XD

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 04:57 PM

Argument table

Kyleisalive...1
Kaddarsgirl..1
Mariamir.....1
mehaul.......0
--end of argu, er, report--

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 20 2012 05:08 PM

I'm not sure why this is being seen as an argument.

This forum is meant for feedback, and I understand why you don't want to post the challenge tallies on profile pages. Unfortunately, there are many who seem to want the opposite, not necessarily for competition's sake, but for their own achievements. People like to show their achieved goals-- it's part of the reason badges are so popular. Just because certain 'games' and activities on the site post numbers in charts or on profiles doesn't mean they're competitive in any sense. When was the last time you heard someone saying 'Haha, I'm beating you in the Monster Quiz!'?

The problem I'm noting here is that your posts have been confusing; I still don't know what certain elements (eg. brains, being added to challenges against one's will, etc.) have anything to do with your query, one posted in a thread about ideas for new challenges being added to the pool. When posts like these show up in the Feedback and Quiz Authoring forums, occasionally with information which is either misleading or incorrect, it only serves to make the truth more difficult to understand for not only those looking for answers to their questions in the moment, but everyone else looking at the threads for answers in later months or years. This is especially prevalent with answers from non-editors about the workings of the quiz queues in the Q&A forum.

Again, none of this is meant to be an argument. It is, however, frustrating trying to hash out what's being asked between elements which seem to have no connection, posts which seem to be jokes/plays-on-words/etc., and occasionally misleading follow-ups, sometimes from unreliable sources. Some of the people following up in here do have a great deal of experience working with the challenges-- most of the testers played *every* challenge including most of the epics, for instance. While it's perfectly constructive to have feedback back and forth about new topics in here, we need to be clear and we need to know that answers we're giving are not only true, but from people who can attest that it is true, otherwise people could be walking away with the complete wrong impression.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 21 2012 12:44 AM

How about a challenge (if not already there but I haven't had it yet) of playing a certain amount of crosswords, the difficulty depending on the number of crosswords required? An alternative would be to play crosswords in a certain number of categories. Easy mode could be used for easy challenges, regular mode could be for medium or difficult challenges.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 21 2012 02:46 AM

How about a challenge (if not already there but I haven't had it yet) of playing a certain amount of crosswords, the difficulty depending on the number of crosswords required? An alternative would be to play crosswords in a certain number of categories. Easy mode could be used for easy challenges, regular mode could be for medium or difficult challenges.

There is one for playing a (random picked) crossword. Difficult is no easy mode, I think simply "complete" is Medium. I've gotten it twice. And...never mind. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 21 2012 03:55 AM

Thanks Mariamir. I'll look forward to getting that challenge smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 21 2012 06:34 AM

What Mariamir wants to say, but won't, is that there is also an Epic that has something to do with Crosswords as well, so you should be on the lookout for that too!

There's also an Easy level crossword challenge that pulls crosswords from the "Easier" rated puzzles, whereas the medium and difficult challenges, in addition to what Mariamir said about play requirements, are harder crosswords.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 21 2012 07:51 AM

What Mariamir wants to say, but won't, is that there is also an Epic that has something to do with Crosswords as well, so you should be on the lookout for that too!

Quite true. I wasn't quite sure about spoiling the Epic surprise...

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 21 2012 07:56 AM

It's something to look forward to smile I was just putting an idea out there as I hadn't had a crossword challenge yet and no one had mentioned it to my recollection. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 21 2012 08:04 AM

It is a good idea. smile Probably why it was added in the first place. grin Still, maybe something more can be done with the crosswords. Maybe play a crossword that's in one of the starred global categories or something.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 21 2012 08:15 AM

There is one for playing a (random picked) crossword. Difficult is no easy mode, I think simply "complete" is Medium. I've gotten it twice. And...never mind. smile

I have the complete today as my medium, and I've had the hard one before (which I didn't do, as it was the most obscurist crossword probably on the site!) wink I was able to do the one today.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 21 2012 09:06 AM

Quite true. I wasn't quite sure about spoiling the Epic surprise...

Considering that on the "Recently Complete Epic Daily Challenges" page, the purple flag is labelled as "Epic: Crossword", I don't think it spoils anything.

I also got an easy challenge to play any crossword in Television (in any mode). While Mariamar's idea sounds interesting, I think we've probably got enough crossword challenges.
Posted by: nautilator

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 26 2012 06:38 PM

Would you consider letting us trade challenges with each other?

It'd be limited to so many times per week, or only among team members, or have a purchasing cost or other limitations.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 26 2012 06:51 PM

I honestly don't like the idea. We already have the ability to swap a challenge each week. And everything is random. I like the randomly unknown.
Posted by: malik24

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Oct 26 2012 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: nautilator
Would you consider letting us trade challenges with each other?

It'd be limited to so many times per week, or only among team members, or have a purchasing cost or other limitations.

I thought the point of Daily Challenges was to be a personal challenge that varies from day to day. Trading defeats the object of that I feel. It also disadvantages those who do not know a lot of people.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 06:48 AM

Apologies if these are existing challenges that I have yet to meet!

-- Score a cumulative X points on the insta quizzes* today. (At 2 points per question, this could be Difficult, Medium or Easy depending on the amount of points required. Scores in their hundreds would be perfectly attainable even if they would take some dedication to the cause.)

-- Play X amount of insta quizzes today, scoring at least X points per quiz. (Easy)

-- Score a "perfect score" (20 points) (10/10) on the insta quiz*. (Or score 3/10/20 etc "perfect scores" in a day). Easy/Medium or Difficult rating depends on amount required.

-- Score X/10 on each of four quizzes in the International Hourly game in the same hour. Easy/Medium rating depends on amount required. A Difficult version might ask for the feat to repeated X times.

*I know you said, Terry, that you were getting rid of the insta quiz but I like it and you might have changed your mind. smile wink

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 07:36 AM

Of those you mentioned there is the exact thing of the last one, the International games. You'll get it at some point. smile No instant quiz challenges, though.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 09:47 AM

The Instaquizzes have a problem - they're old, creaky, and Terry is probably going to remove them at some point. (I hope it's the point where we have another game where we can get an odd number of tiny points to do the precision badges, or the Twin challenge, or the Three Keys badge, etc. And despite what Wesley says about an alternate method, I have not yet found a better way to do it.)

I did the International quiz challenge this morning... had to get x/10 in all four country games in the same hour. I hate to say it but that game is creaky too.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 10:35 AM

A teammate of mine rather fancies winning the Daily Buccaneer badge by having all three levels of challenge on 199 and then cracking 200 for all three levels on the same day. He has different amount of challenges in easy, med and difficult at present so he's come up with an idea. A challenge at present costs 9 credits to buy. He'd like to see the ability to nominate which level of challenge you buy, with an increasing cost to buy the medium or difficult challenges. I don't mind the idea myself, but I'll tell him that he could always stop playing the easies and mediums until the difficult challenges catch up with them. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 12:21 PM

A teammate of mine rather fancies winning the Daily Buccaneer badge by having all three levels of challenge on 199 and then cracking 200 for all three levels on the same day. He has different amount of challenges in easy, med and difficult at present so he's come up with an idea. A challenge at present costs 9 credits to buy. He'd like to see the ability to nominate which level of challenge you buy, with an increasing cost to buy the medium or difficult challenges. I don't mind the idea myself, but I'll tell him that he could always stop playing the easies and mediums until the difficult challenges catch up with them. smile

I'd suggest that you could choose the difficulty of the challenge (apart from epic) but for an increased cost. So, you can still choose to buy a challenge for 9 credits (or whatever the cost for buying the next challenge is), but you can buy a challenge and choose from easy, medium or difficult for about, say, 15 credits. No matter what difficulty you choose, the cost is the same.

The specially bought challenges would cost 3 more each time, but would also increase the cost of the normally bought challenges by 3. So, you could buy a challenge normally for 9 credits and then buy a challenge and choose that it's medium for 18 credits.

It would help people going for the 10 in a day - they could pick easy ones and have much to try much less (then again, maybe that's not a good thing), although they would have to save up for longer.

However, it would complicate things further (and I think that the challenges are already complicated enough, hearing what others have said) and I'm not sure that it would add much to the game. It might even make it worse - part of the fun is not knowing what you're going to get next. Sure, there's still 20 or so possibilities within a single difficulty level, but it does take some of the surprise element out of it.

And, there's another problem. I've heard it implied (possibly by Wes) that you can't get the same challenge twice in one day. I think Terry also said that not only that, but you can't receive 2 of the same type of challenges (e.g. score 5 in any international game [easy] and score 7/10 in all for international games [medium]) in one day either. With being able to choose the difficulty, it's not completely impossible for a player to buy all the easy (or whatever difficulty) challenges there are in one day. They come back to buy the next easy, and what happens? They've already played them all before, so they can't receive any of them. Does it just take their credits and do nothing? Does it refuse to let them buy another?

I think it's probably not worth bothering. Your friend can put a little bit of effort in to do what you mentioned anyway, if he/she is willing to purposefully fail a couple of challenges (like you said).

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 12:40 PM

I don't think it should give the ability to choose which difficulty. During testing, we determined that the randomness was appealing... Winning ten in a day becomes less impressive when you win ten easy challenges and knowing you not get and midnight ending ones.

If this player wants to have199 for all three, might I suggest purposely NOT winning certain ones when te numbers are getting close?

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 01:29 PM

I don't think it should give the ability to choose which difficulty. During testing, we determined that the randomness was appealing... Winning ten in a day becomes less impressive when you win ten easy challenges and knowing you not get and midnight ending ones.

I agree. I don't think there should be an option to choose the difficulty levels for bought challenges. The randomness makes it more interesting I think.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 03:44 PM

If this player wants to have199 for all three, might I suggest purposely NOT winning certain ones when te numbers are getting close?

That's what I've already suggested to him if he's really keen on this idea. For the record, he already has the 10/day under his belt so he wouldn't use it for that. I thought I'd mention the idea here though. It might not be used in this particular format but it might be the germ of an idea that gets twisted into something else. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 04:26 PM

'there is nothing in the fridge except a banana'

Quick, man! Get it out of there! It will turn brown!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 05:58 PM

I know there is currently an easy challenge to play in the Team Heroes game (score doesn't matter) and a medium challenge to play in the Team Heroes and be a hero (top 5 for small, top 7 for medium, top 10 for large)
What about two challenges based on Team vs. Team that is essentially the same as the two current Team Heroes challenges?

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 06:32 PM

I'd love to see the first one implemented for TvT. The second doesn't have an easy equivalent since there aren't any counted "top X" in TvT, but I guess it could still be done.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Oct 27 2012 07:04 PM

I was thinking top 10 for Team vs. Team, since that is how many is showed on the Team vs. Team page, but I just remembered that, most likely, it was only there because there neeeded to be a set limit, since it probably wouldn't make sense to show all the scores on the Team vs. Team main page. However, on Team Heroes, top 5/7/10 does have a purpose, other than to show a sample.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 12:58 AM

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 04:46 AM

You never know, you might find that the team score goes up, not down, when people are encouraged to play and aim for the top place.
Posted by: pmarney

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 05:31 AM

It might stop Teams who limit who plays T v's T just so they keep at the top, my view is everyone on a Team should be able to play not just those deemed good enough to play and keep the scores high.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 07:51 AM

Is there already a daily challenge for the Knock-Out (on Tuesday until Friday only)?

If so, I would like to have something like "score x points in the Knock-Out game" (but only if you're still in the tournament).

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:11 AM

There are not currently any Knockout challenges. It was one of the original ideas, but I don't know if it was simply looked over, or if there was a good reason for not including it.

Personally, there are a few things I see with having the game in the Daily Challenges that make me not entirely sold on the idea, like only having the challenge be issued 4 days a week instead of all 7 and having the system be able to recognize who is in the game and who is not. Those may not be issues at all (Terry would know for sure) but they're part of the reason, I think, that the challenges may have been left out testing and early stages of this new site feature.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:57 AM

I think at one time it was stated that there is no saving of the Knock Out individual scores/results. It is only used to determine advancement or drop-out of the players involved. And the difficulty of the Quiz used varies from match to match making the 'challenge' of being assigned this completely luck of the draw and not based on member capability.
If scores were saved, the difficulty of each day's quizzes were known to progress through the week and luck of the draw was a Daily Challenge basic philosophy, this might make a very nice challenge. It would certainly encourage players to sign up Monday for a possible Friday reception of a KO challenge (blind luck to get one and be in the tourney still). The challenge level could progress through the week from easy-medium-difficult along with the contested quizzes.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 10:45 AM

If not knockout, then how about a gold member fantasy knockout challenge? Just enter for easy (on Tuesday), have 3 people still in for medium (on Wednesday) and have 1 person survive through until Saturday (difficult).

I think at one time it was stated that there is no saving of the Knock Out individual scores/results. It is only used to determine advancement or drop-out of the players involved. And the difficulty of the Quiz used varies from match to match making the 'challenge' of being assigned this completely luck of the draw and not based on member capability.

There is already a lot of luck with these challenges - when you buy a challenge, there's a chance that you'll get lucky and have completed it already. It takes a lot of luck to get the epic on your first buy instead of your fiftieth. There's already lots of challenges based on the daily games and difficulty varies from set to set on all of them. I don't think that would be much of a problem.

If they can't score the stores, surely that just means that we can't have "score X in KO". I don't see how it would stop "beat your opponent in KO today" (medium) or "play KO today" (easy).

But I suppose the fact that it couldn't be given on Saturday-Monday, the fact that you couldn't complete it if you didn't sign up on Monday or the fact that difficulty would likely vary from day to day (opponent on Friday will probably be better than your opponent on Tuesday) might be a good enough reason to just not have any knockout challenges.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 10:56 AM

Adams, you seem to have answered the question yourself near the last parageaph's end. Lol. But yes, as I recall, there is a lot involved in having certain challenges issued only Tuesday-Friday, and as you said, how terrible it would be to get a challenge that says to win your KO on Wednesday, but you were knocked out ok Tuesday. Haha. The other challenges are playable every day, whereas KOwpuld not be.

Of course, I like a KO challenge, but I just do think it's plausible.

smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 11:01 AM

I wouldn't mind the ones Adam has suggested in his middle paragraph, but I wouldn't like to see any based on the Fantasy KO, for the sole reason that it's completely out of players' hands. I wouldn't like to be assigned a Daily Challenge that other people have effectively failed on my behalf, or where I can do nothing to actually achieve the challenge myself.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Oct 28 2012 11:34 AM

iLife them too, reeshy, but in testing, it was determined that those woud not be added, for reasons similar to Adams final paragraph. smile
Posted by: gracie3

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 04:58 AM

It's all getting too complicated and all we need is some extras badges on existing games and maybe one or two more nice simple unconfusing games .......

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 09:24 AM

What part is getting too complicated?

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 10:04 AM

Lots of it......A treasure hunt of quizzes before we get a badge..........Long haul quizzes needing hours and hours to get

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 10:49 AM

I don't understand how those things are complicated...

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 11:32 AM

The joy of this website is that everything is *optional*. If you don't want to complete your challenges, that's fine, but many other players are really enjoying this game, and finding it fantastic. There is a great sense of accomplishment in completing the more convoluted challenges, but if you don't want to do them, that's fine.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 11:41 AM

It's not case of not wanting to do them.

..Isn't there room on here for some simple badges/badgelets to go for?

Complicated in not a straight forward badge to be won

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: gracie3
It's not case of not wanting to do them.

..Isn't there room on here for some simple badges/badgelets to go for?

Complicated in not a straight forward badge to be won

There are quite a few simple, straightforward badges - have you investigated the list at this page?

http://www.funtrivia.com/challenges.cfm

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 12:13 PM

Done and dusted smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 01:16 PM

The problem is that loading the site with 'simple' badges will oversaturate the list we have-- soon everyone will be at level 100+. We're working hard to keep a balance. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 01:21 PM

I see what you mean...Ah well.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 01:44 PM

Not to say there won't be more basic badges-- it may just seem that there are fewer because you're completing them quicker. wink
Posted by: shuehorn

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 01 2012 10:39 PM

gracie3,

Not sure if you've thought of exploring the authors' side of this site. There are more badges available for writing questions and quizzes, and I know I've gained an infinite amount of knowledge, great friendships and respect for the truly prolific authors here at FT through that process.

Just a thought.

Sue
Posted by: Lottie1001

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 15 2012 03:39 PM

Another suggestion for one of the daily challenge.

To get 50 questions correct in Who's Smartest?, Mixed Trivia or Piece of Cake.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 15 2012 03:53 PM

Hmmm, interesting. I like the idea, Lottie.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 15 2012 04:19 PM

Good idea.
Posted by: jabb5076

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 15 2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: pmarney
It might stop Teams who limit who plays T v's T just so they keep at the top, my view is everyone on a Team should be able to play not just those deemed good enough to play and keep the scores high.

Are there actually teams that do this? It's the first I've heard of anything along this line--it seems rather unethical, to say the least, and how would a team actually prevent a member from playing TvT?
Posted by: AlexxSchneider

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 15 2012 10:05 PM

I won't name names, but I have definitely heard of teams doing this.
Posted by: Aedan57

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Nov 16 2012 07:29 AM

There were extensive discussions about TvT "allowing" only their "best & brightest" play. I was a bit skeptical also then began to look at how a much smaller number of certain teams members played TvT vs played Team Heroes.
Perhaps waiting until the following day to show the TvT scores, as with KO, might help avoid this.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Nov 16 2012 03:49 PM

Playing as a team, not just a bunch of individuals whose scores are being amalgamated, you need to see the other scores for your team in TvT to help players who arrive later in the day judge whether or not they think they can get a score that will help the team. When I see that we already have a score that is higher than my average score in the game, I will decide not to play, since I am more likely to lower the team score than to raise it. I am free to make that decision, and consider it a tactical contribution to the team when I choose not to play.

For Team Heroes, however, no such decision is needed - even when I am 99% certain that I am going to do dreadfully, I can play and know that a dreadful performance just means I am not a Hero that day.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Nov 16 2012 04:34 PM

Looney, I don't think anyone doubts choices freely made by a player to play or not play a game unless it's in a team that has, together, decided to follow some rules. Some teams want only their pre-selected best to weigh in at TvT. Others make the decision based on the current score, then there are those where each player decides alone without any rules and yet others rather prefer play frequency over scores. The Cat People for example are the opposite of the highly competitive teams when it comes to TvT: as a team leader I actively encourage everyone to play all games even if it occasionally hurts a score because you can't ultimately get better if you don't play.

This free choice is what makes teams meaningful on the site. Every player should join a team whose play, chat and style are to their best liking.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Nov 16 2012 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
This free choice is what makes teams meaningful on the site. Every player should join a team whose play, chat and style are to their best liking.

Nicely stated, Wes. Much as I love cats, I'm clearly more of a llama than a cat person. smilee

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Nov 16 2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
Nicely stated, Wes. Much as I love cats, I'm clearly more of a llama than a cat person. smilee

I'm not trying to convince you any differently smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Nov 18 2012 02:20 AM

I'm guessing the actual TVT thread has scrolled off the front page lol.

This may have been mentioned already, but I'd like to make a suggestion regarding the "difficult" levels. Since the system obviously can track a certain number of individual scores for a game, can it also track a players BEST score? If so, pick any game (all of them, in fact), the best score you've had and add 10 (or whatever points) or fewer seconds to it. That will ensure a challenge that is difficult for EVERYone, as it's based on the individual's playing level/expertise alone. This would be much more fair than, say, "be in top 3 Heroes today", (or whatever) and then calling it a "MEDIUM" challenge, especially if you're on a team like CMM. I'm lucky to get on the list at all lol. (I'm NOT complaining, it's just an example lol)

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Nov 18 2012 02:44 AM

There exist several challenges like that where you have to beat your a certain time that is tailored for you. I had one two days ago that was specific to Piece of Cake, and as a Medium Challenge I was asked to earn a score of 10/10 in fewer than 31 seconds. There are variations for earning points as well, such as 735 in Smartest. I think they're pretty well covered, with Med and Dif levels and a variety of games/times/scores, and they're all tailored to each individual player's statistics. So it's a great suggestion because we already have it in the game. You'll get them eventually if you haven't already...
Posted by: rossian

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Nov 18 2012 05:53 AM

31 seconds? I seem to get 18 or 19 to beat. I do think a lot of the challenges are tailored - I just hope they don't get any harder. My aging fingers can't move any faster!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Nov 18 2012 06:18 AM

Many of the challenges are indeed tailored and look at your recently played result. So unless your scores improve, rossian, you can be sure that your requirements will also be constant. If your fingers should however gain flexibility from the extra training, you might find yourself needing a second or two faster than before.

Scaling by actual performance is what is done for most of the points-based and speed-based challenges, a few of them just scale by level. Those which require a certain placing are the same for all.

That answered, now let's please go back to suggesting challenges here. This is supposed to be an easily read reference thread for Terry when he wants to code new stuff, so please keep it free of anything that isn't new challenge ideas! Thanks!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 02:24 PM

Rather than "point precision", try "point approximation". Player must score between 4000 and 5000 points in a day. Player loses if Points Today fall below 4000 or above 5000. Hard.

[Point value may be raised if not hard enough for Hard.]

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 02:30 PM

"Play a Tiny Subcategory" challenge

Player must find a sub-category that has only 10 quizzes or fewer in its directory. Player must play all quizzes, scoring at least 4 correct answers each quiz.

Medium or Hard

Variation:
Player must find a sub-category containing only 4-10 quizzes. Player must play four quizzes, scoring 5 correct answers each quiz

Medium or Hard

Other variations possible.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 02:35 PM

Maybe there are already enough Nemesis type challenges but how about a challenge with WTE in which the scores for all four of the first games played are tallied, winner takes all? The odds of identical scores is decreased (maybe, but I'm no stats whiz), and it really would mean players had to choose their games carefully. wink

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 04:16 PM

Who's the Expert has a built in advantage to gold members: you can see the next six scheduled categories and partially plan your pick of four. There is also a level perk where a category can get switched out. I just wanted to mention those situations as existing in that venue. They seem to be overlooked in a couple of WtE challenge suggestions.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 04:18 PM

Actually, that is not a gold member feature to see the next six, that is a level perk. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 04:22 PM

Quote:
and partially plan your pick of four.

Only if it schedules you within your time limit.

Quote:
They seem to be overlooked in a couple of WtE challenge suggestions.

In what way?

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 04:47 PM

"Forgotten Gems Challenge"

Go to Forgotten Gems and play 10 quizzes, scoring 50% correct in each.

http://www.funtrivia.com/ql.cfm?forgotten=1

Difficulty: medium or hard

Variations (which may make it harder or easier):

- play 10 quizzes, each in a different category
- play 10 quizzes, each in the SAME category
- vary the number of the quizzes
- vary the minimum score

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 04:55 PM

"Your Worst Category"

This would be a GM-only challenge.
Find you worst category from the Gold Member States page, and play 6 quizzes, scoring at least 8 questions correctly.

Give user the link:
http://www.funtrivia.com/goldstats.cfm

Worst = lowest percent correct

Difficulty: Hard

Variations:
Decrease the number of quizzes and/or the number of correct questions to make it a medium challenge

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 05:33 PM

How about spicing up that one with a slight variant: Best OR Worst. Play 7 in your worst category with 8 correct OR 15 in your best one with a perfect score. Whichever category you first play a quiz in determines the goal you must complete - no changing your mind in midgame. (The challenge should give the categories, no need to go for the link and maybe miss because the table is 6 days old. That way we can also make it randomly pick from the bottom / top 3 instead of always serving the same ones)

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 06:09 PM

Well, then you could have three different challenges:

[I] Find Your Best
Play 12 quizzes and get perfect scores on each.
(Fifteen sounds too tough.)

[II] Find Your Worst
Play 6 quizzes and answer at least 8 questions correctly on each.

[III] Find Your Best OR Worst
Do either [I] or [II].

I'm not sure I like being locked in; more fun to be able to pick and choose.

Also, perhaps a fourth variant:

[IV] Find Your Best AND Worst
Do both [I] and [II], but cut number of quizzes in half.
(6 best and 3 worst)

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 06:15 PM

I increased the requirement to 15 so that people would feel more compelled to choose the "worst" variant if just going for a quick win and III and/or IV is enough. I and II are just repeats of the "score X in category Y" challenges, making certain categories effectively more likely to appear.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 06:42 PM

I am not sure I understand what you are saying in your last post.

Now when you say the categories would be given to the user, you still mean it would based on their percent correct, right?

And I like having just I or II because sometimes maybe you should challenge people to play their worst category or really push the envelope in their best. You could present the challenge a little differently:

[I]
"Your best category is X, with --.-% of questions correct. Play 12 quizzes in your best category and score perfectly on each."

[II]
"Your worst category is X, with --.-% of questions correct. Play 6 quizzes in your worst category and score at least 8 questions correct on each."

This would make it more interesting, I think. Give the user a little more info and maybe even surprise them. And then for the combos:

[III]
"Your best category is X, with --.-% of questions correct, and your worst category is Y, with --.-% of questions correct. Either play 12 quizzes in your best category and score perfectly on each, or play 6 quizzes in your worst category and score at least 8 questions correct on each."

[IV]
"Your best category is X, with --.-% of questions correct, and your worst category is Y, with --.-% of questions correct. Play 6 quizzes in your best category and score perfectly on each. Also play 3 quizzes in your worst category and score at least 8 questions correct on each."

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Nov 19 2012 10:47 PM

Honestly, though I like the idea of the best and worst categories, I do not think this is possible. That link no longer shows stats for players like me... Once you play a certain amount of quizzes it stops scoring in that way and that page is blank. I see nothing in the link, and that is something I have not been able to use for a long time. The stats page on the profile has also been frozen in time for the last 20,000 quizzes or so for me as well.

Unless there is another way to find which is my worst category based on percentage, I would have absolutely no idea which to choose. Perhaps if it automatically told you what your best and worst were?

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Nov 20 2012 12:37 PM

I second Gracious1's suggestion of the tiny subcategories. It's about time that these categories get more attention (and maybe it'll spark some ideas for our authors, as well).

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Nov 20 2012 12:57 PM

Quote:
It's about time that these categories get more attention (and maybe it'll spark some ideas for our authors, as well).

It's in the cards! wink

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Nov 20 2012 02:15 PM

Quote:
It's about time that these categories get more attention (and maybe it'll spark some ideas for our authors, as well).

It's in the cards! wink

Actually...one step ahead of you, if that's possible. grin

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Nov 20 2012 02:32 PM

Well, it calls for a new Time Crunch at least.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Nov 20 2012 02:35 PM

No, that was an attempt to keep our nerves all strung tightly. smile

Well, yes, there is that. But it depends on when you began planning it. wink

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Posted by: Gil_Galad

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Nov 21 2012 05:01 PM

I don't know if there's anything like this so far, but there could be a challenge where players have to find a quiz that's been online longer than 3-4 weeks, but still has the *NEW* tag (that is, a quiz that has been online long enough but has been rated less than 20 times). Then the players would have to play that quiz and answer correctly a minimum number of questions. Some variations of this are:

Easy level: Find 1 quiz with the above requirements and answer at least 5 questions correctly.

Medium level: Find 2-3 quizzes with the above requirements and answer at least 7 questions correctly in each.

Hard level: Find 4-5 quizzes with the above requirements and answer at least 8 questions correctly in each.

A possible variation of this could be asking the player to rate the quiz as well, but of course that would limit the challenge to GM only.

The point of this is to 'promote' obscure or unpopular quizzes, help them gain a few plays and, in the second variation, get ranked.
Posted by: Nammage

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Nov 21 2012 05:12 PM

[Posted in correct topic]

-Nam

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Nov 21 2012 05:26 PM

No, that was an attempt to keep our nerves all strung tightly. smile
Well, yes, there is that. But it depends on when you began planning it. wink
Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Lest Terry overlook the suggestion, I'll repeat it:

"Play a Tiny Subcategory" challenge

Player must find a sub-category that has only 10 quizzes or fewer in its directory. Player must play all quizzes, scoring at least 4 correct answers each quiz.

Medium or Hard

Variation:
Player must find a sub-category containing only 4-10 quizzes. Player must play four quizzes, scoring 5 correct answers each quiz

Medium or Hard

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Nov 21 2012 07:50 PM

Gil_Galad, there's definitely at least one challenge to find those quizzes and rate them, but I guess it might be limited to Gold Members because of the rating.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Nov 21 2012 08:08 PM

There is one that states something like "Play 5 quizzes that have been on-line for over a month and has fewer than 50 ratings" but that doesn't relate to how many quizzes are in a particular sub-category. That's the only challenge I know of that is close to what you are describing.
Posted by: bitterlyold

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 22 2012 02:09 AM

Share a story? Okay. I love that. But where?

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Nov 22 2012 04:18 AM

If you are referring to the challenge to share a story, go to the Chatboards, select General, and the look for the Official Story Thread (it is near the top). Part of the fun of challenges is finding some of the corners of the site you never even knew existed!
Posted by: joecali

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sun Nov 25 2012 05:03 PM

Mark the quizzes played in the last 30 days it's a very nice idea(A green smooth or any mark)

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Nov 27 2012 01:03 PM

I have my internet browser set up to use a different colour for the games I've played within the last 30 days. It's quite easy to do this: just alter the number of days your internet history is conserved, and set it on 30.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Nov 27 2012 01:20 PM

Ooh, I had never thought of that, Jan! Thanks for the info!

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Dec 04 2012 08:51 PM

The "Play Your Least Played Categories" Challenge
(for Gold Members only)

Player is given the three categories in which s/he has played the fewest number of quizzes. Player must play 2 quizzes in each category and get 4 answers correctly in each.

Difficult

Note: Difficulty may be adjusted by varying number of quizzes per category and/or number of questions per quiz correct.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Dec 04 2012 09:01 PM

(for Gold Members only)

Player is given the three categories in which s/he has played the fewest number of quizzes. Player must play 2 quizzes in each category and get 4 answers correctly in each.

Difficult

Note: Difficulty may be adjusted by varying number of quizzes per category and/or number of questions per quiz correct.

You have already suggested this more than once. Terry will see it. There's no real need for you to post in multiple times, unless you forgot you already suggested it.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Dec 04 2012 10:02 PM

Set up some quizzes with deliberate errors, and the challenge is to play the quiz and send a "correct" correction note.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Dec 04 2012 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ASA
Set up some quizzes with deliberate errors, and the challenge is to play the quiz and send a "correct" correction note.

I don't think the editors would want people to play quizzes with errors that they know are there...also, I pity the poor author who is going to be inundated with a ton of correction notes of which some, like it or not, are probably going to be wrong.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Dec 04 2012 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: ASA

Since challenges have to be completed within a day, something like this would have to credit achievement when the correction note was sent, even if it wasn't a valid correction, because an editor might not have time to do anything about it for a day or two. And we certainly don't want to be inundated with lots of quickly-sent corrections when there are enough real errors that need correction to keep us busy. Nor do we want to have quizzes with intentional errors hanging around the place!

edited to fix typo

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Dec 05 2012 11:06 PM

Please read my suggestions more carefully.

My earlier suggestion was to play your WORST category, based on percentage correct. This challenge is based on number of quizzes you have played in a particular category. The two are not the same at all. For example, my worst category may be Sports, but my least-played category is Video Games.

Cheers!

(for Gold Members only)

Difficult

You have already suggested this more than once. Terry will see it. There's no real need for you to post in multiple times, unless you forgot you already suggested it.

Posted by: Nammage

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Dec 07 2012 01:38 AM

My two least played categories are Animals and Video Games (Animals the least of those two, I believe). I usually score 0-2 in those categories unless my guessing is more accurate. So, I rarely go to those sections.

I think it's a good idea. Especially since it would get those of us who stay away from such categories to participate more fully in them.

-Nam
Posted by: Dave42007

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Dec 07 2012 07:16 PM

One idea for daily challenges, (if it has not already been suggested) is using the basic idea as the psychic hunt mini badge. To use one or more words from the crystal ball game, and completing a quiz with that word in the quiz title. The crystal ball game shows the last ten words giving a selection. It would be possible to adjust difficulty by adjusting; number of titles, number of crystal ball words needed to be used, percentage correct answers required, number of questions in quiz, some number of categories, or just specified category. These could all be altered to match skill level or to give variety.
Posted by: rossian

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Dec 08 2012 02:36 AM

I like this idea, as I enjoy the challenge of finding the right quizzes to play.
Posted by: malik24

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Jan 25 2013 01:24 PM

Since most of the daily games feature as a challenge, for gold members one on the World Game, Pot of Gold and perhaps even the Gold Member Madness games would nicely complete the set. If they already exist, I don't think I've ever had them. smile

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Jan 25 2013 02:48 PM

I had a "Beat a previous score" Medium challenge for both World Game and Pot of Gold. For World Game, I have also had a "Play it. Score doesn't matter" Easy challenge. Even though I haven't had an equivalent for Pot of Gold, that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Mon Jan 28 2013 08:38 AM

Idea for a challenge (or a badge/let):

There are five global divisons as noted in the sidebar on the front page:

Quizzes - Global
USA Quizzes
Canada
United Kingdom
Australia
Europe

And each of them are divided into categories.

So a challenge could be to choose a global division and play a certain number of quizzes in one/several/or each category. Amount would indicate level of difficulty of challenge. Divison & categories would be prescribed.

A badge/let challenge could be to play any one (or 5 or more etc!) quiz in each category in each global divison.

===================

There's also the Quiz Buffet http://www.funtrivia.com/quizmash.cfm that could be used for a challenge - get at least X questions correct on X number of quizzes in X different categories from the buffet menu - within the same hour?

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Jan 29 2013 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: demurechicky
Perhaps as the game progresses, there could be a 'write a quiz'...in say, for example, 14 days, not an immediate challenge, but a 'challenge in progress'. Perhaps there could be other challenges like this, like write '10 new questions' and have them accepted to the new question game. Just a thought.

Very bad idea as this would tie up one of your challenges for 14 days, so it would make it impossible to buy a challenge if you got a Nemesis challenge.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Jan 29 2013 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Starlord
Originally Posted By: demurechicky

Very bad idea as this would tie up one of your challenges for 14 days, so it would make it impossible to buy a challenge if you got a Nemesis challenge.

Starlord - what you've said about buying challenges isn't really a factor. It's perfectly possible for you to, due to bad luck, end up not being able to buy a challenge through no fault of your own (or sometimes due to your own faults - scoring too low on a daily game, for example).

But I don't really like the idea. Some people don't want to write quizzes, and for them, the challenges to enter 2/3 single questions in different categories are more than enough.

It would also encourage people to rush into making quizzes instead of taking their time and writing to the best of their ability.

There's also the problem of people not having access to the internet for 14 days. Let's say someone is going on holiday for a month in 3 days. They sign on to FT, go to their challenges and oh no! They've got this challenge! They'd either have to write it in 3 days (linking back to the rushing factor) or just give up.

However, I think the biggest factor is that it's too complicated and it just won't work. If you got it as a difficult challenge, would it be worth 42 points (3 points per day for 14 days)? Would it be 3 points? Somewhere in the middle? Is it even possible to code it so a challenge stays on your page for 2 weeks?

And it ruins the whole point of DAILY challenges. It's supposed to be something you do in a single day, something fairly short (unless you get an epic) and something new every 24 hours.

So, sorry, but I don't think that's going to work.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Jan 29 2013 03:31 PM

Quote:
It would also encourage people to rush into making quizzes instead of taking their time and writing to the best of their ability.

This is why it was already decided against.

For those looking for time-pressures for writing quizzes, we periodically have these sorts of challenges in the Author's Lounge.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Jan 30 2013 07:49 PM

What about playing a list of quizzes whose title comes from the Authors' Challenge list? (Ranking depends on the number of quizzes.)
Do we have any challenges relating to that? I know there was discussion a while back about adding a challenge (persumably Easy) where the person had to suggest a title, but I don't know if it actually became a challenge. If not, this might be a good way to get newcomers familiar with that area of the site. If so, then it can be another challenge that relates to Authors' Challenge.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Jan 31 2013 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Buddy1
I know there was discussion a while back about adding a challenge (persumably Easy) where the person had to suggest a title, but I don't know if it actually became a challenge.

It was implemented, someone complained that they couldn't do it - suggesting Author Challenges is a privilege given only to someone who's written over 10 quizzes, and it was removed.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Thu Jan 31 2013 11:16 AM

I wonder if it's possible to change it so that it would only be offered to people who have already written over 10 quizzes (like how the Global Challenge ones aren't offered when the Global Challenge is available or how the "Earn a badge or mini-badge" isn't offered to people over a certain level).
Either way, I still offer my original suggestion involving playing quizzes with Authors' Challenge titles.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Feb 05 2013 06:04 AM

Today I got the yellow flag Variety III for a second time, can I suggest a Gold Member perk of being able to switch out a triple flag if you already have it, for another random EPIC challenge.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Feb 05 2013 09:49 AM

It'd be interesting if you could switch out Epics by spending a number of challenge points (say 30).
Posted by: ssabreman

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Feb 05 2013 10:27 AM

Today I got the yellow flag Variety III for a second time, can I suggest a Gold Member perk of being able to switch out a triple flag if you already have it, for another random EPIC challenge.

That would be a neat twist, if the Epic went into the list of things you could switch out. Take your chances, you might get something worse, but once it's done, you have to live with it.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Tue Feb 05 2013 11:21 PM

That sounds like a great idea.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Feb 06 2013 12:34 AM

I was thinking, if it did get implemented where we could buy epics, the number of credits would be much higher, like 100. (I know 30 was only a suggestion, but, at least in my mind, it's still too low.)

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Feb 06 2013 02:00 AM

I don't like the idea of buying Epics - the luck is part of the fascination. However, it does seem fair to be able to trade a triple flag Epic, one you have already done twice and it ain't getting any easier, and see what the trade gets you. It could be another Epic you don't want to, or cannot, complete, but it would be an interesting opportunity.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Wed Feb 06 2013 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Buddy1
I was thinking, if it did get implemented where we could buy epics, the number of credits would be much higher, like 100. (I know 30 was only a suggestion, but, at least in my mind, it's still too low.)

30 was a suggestion for swapping Epics, not buying them.

I think it would be okay to swap out a Epic-III, but I don't think people should ever have the ability to just buy an Epic if they have tons of credits. Getting that Epic first should still be luck of the draw. Getting an Epic-III by luck and then swapping for a different Epic, and just buying an Epic from credits are not the same. The swap would still only work the one time, and it is quite possible to get an Epic you cannot complete when you swap.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Feb 08 2013 01:12 AM

There was never any intention of allowing people to buy EPIC challenges in my suggestion it was purely for those who have already completed an an EPIC III challenge to give them a chance of getting another challenge they may not have done and it would only be available once per day so if you got another EPIC III challenge you had already done then that would be tough luck.
Posted by: DomiNeyTor

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Feb 08 2013 07:24 PM

(oops I put this in wrong thread, please delete)
Posted by: cubswin2323

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Fri Feb 08 2013 07:26 PM

I think there was supposed to be one at 50K. I can't remember if it was supposed to be a badge or a super-badge, though.

Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges - Sat Mar 23 2013 06:45 PM

We have an existing challenge where you have to submit a word of >=x letters in the Word Wizard Gold Members game.

May I suggest something else? Submit one or more words worth a total of x points or more by midnight FT time.

For varying values of x, the challenge would be medium or difficult. You could complete the challenge with one good word or a couple of OK words or 3-4 small words.