Word Wizard Problem

Posted by: Calpurnia09

Word Wizard Problem - Sat Dec 01 2012 01:36 AM

I have collected the letters

T D X I M A I O S O O E

in Word Wizard. I tried to enter the word MOODIEST. I was told that I did not have the correct letters, that I was one letter short.
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Sat Dec 01 2012 01:42 AM

Check the end of the word. For some reason, it recognises a space as a character.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Sat Dec 01 2012 03:43 AM

Thank you Ozzz. I tried that and it worked perfectly. smile
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Sat Dec 01 2012 03:54 AM

Happy to help. Did it say that you were missing an 'N'?
Posted by: looney_tunes

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 01:07 AM

I played in the hour before midnight FT time. I wasn't allowed to play the following hour because it said I had already played. I thought that might be some kind of midnight glitch, so waited for the next hour. Rhis hour the home page shows the game unticked, but when I go to it my score from two hours ago is still listed, and I cannot play. I want my letters. frown
Posted by: Nammage

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 01:17 AM

I am with looney tunes. I rarely played that game before but now I just play it for letters, and in doing so I got a badge (15/15) that I never was able to get before.

I thought it was my phone (it happens) but I see someone else is also experiencing this.

-Nam
Posted by: shorthumbz

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 01:30 AM

I'm in the same boat as looney tunes and Nammage. I have not been able to play since the 11pm game. My score is stuck in the list and I have been stopped, even though the game is not ticked on the homepage.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 02:10 AM

Another hour, and the game still hasn't ticked over.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 02:14 AM

Perhaps it'll be fixed during the Maintenance Mode, if not before then?

-Nam
Posted by: Tekka

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 02:34 AM

Yeah, I'm stuck in there too. Two and half hours now and over 240 people have played on the same game!
(I stayed up later to hopefully get a couple more letters but off to bed now.)

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 03:30 AM

Maintenance didn't fix it.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 03:34 AM

No, it didn't say what I was missing. I was mystified.

I see that others are having problems with playing WW. I need to play it for a challenge.
Posted by: pmarney

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 04:04 AM

Game has not reset for last 2 hours

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 04:12 AM

Five hours, but who's counting?

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 04:13 AM

It's still not fixed. It's the only game I want to play right now.

frown

-Nam

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 04:13 AM

Sorry, not been up that long

Shall we just say quite a while

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 04:14 AM

I feel sorry for those that need to play either for letters or scores for their daily challenges, I would not be a happy Cookie if it was me
Posted by: Midget40

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 04:27 AM

I need this to play for my medium daily challenge today.

I cant beat my score if I cant play and I need every possible game I can play cause I'm sure it picked my highest ever score for me to beat!

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 05:05 AM

Another hour goers by and still has not re-set

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 05:43 AM

pmarney,

It is a Daily Challenge for me today. Though I have 8 letters, all of them are consenants but a single vowel, and I have to turn in a 5 letter word. With what I have, I don't see any 5 letter words.

-Nam

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 06:05 AM

Sorry to hear that, I know I would not have been pleased yesterday as had to do a 9 letter word for my difficult challenge.

Maybe a swap might be in order to get another vowel

Someone will sort it out shortly I hope.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 06:25 AM

I had an 11 word the other day, and while it was in my Medical dictionary, alas it was not in the Funtrivia one.

So, I ended up trading some letters, and until I can get more vowels, I will have to make do. Though, I feel perhaps if the game itself won't reset then is any of the other features in error, too? So I am holding off for now.

-Nam
Posted by: WesleyCrusher

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 06:32 AM

I've sent Terry a priority message - he'll get to it as soon as he logs on.

Wes
Posted by: MargW

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 09:08 AM

Word Wizard has not reset this hour. The last I played was a 7:25 cst, and it's now 9:08 cst. It's still showing me as having played this hour's game.
Posted by: twosleepy

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 09:25 AM

SOOOOO upset! I played in the 9:00 am hour, and it scored me at 6487 seconds!!! Excuse me, but there are only 3600 seconds in an hour! If they let that score count, I'll never climb out of the ratings hole.. :0((( I also have a screenshot to prove it!

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 10:11 AM

Still not reset and showing 604 played this hour now
Posted by: ssabreman

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 10:46 AM

Looks like we need a 24-Hour Emergency number to call. I'm suffering from withdrawal here...can't breathe...everything getting hazy...
Posted by: Terry

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 10:50 AM

Thanks, looking into it.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 10:53 AM

Wow... what happened was that when I created the game.... 7 (?) years ago, I set the game scheduler to reset the game every hour until.... Dec 6, 2012. So the system thought the game was simply done. lol.

Sorry about that... fixed. It will now run until 2030 unless I decide otherwise wink
Posted by: salami_swami

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 10:56 AM

That is too funny! And so you never expected the game to last that long, or did you just forget over the last 7 years to set an alarm for Word Wizard reset? wink

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 10:57 AM

Way to go Terry
Posted by: ssabreman

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 10:58 AM

Any other games set to expire soon?
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:02 AM

Terry, you haven't set the World game to end on 21 December have you? That would be spooky. wink
Posted by: twosleepy

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:03 AM

Terry: Did you erase the scores for those hours? I got screwed out of 17 rating points!! Is someone going to take care of this?!?!?

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:03 AM

Actually, that would be great, Flopsy. Then everyone would be happy... The Mayans would be correct in predicting the "World" to end on December 21, but we would still be alive. It's the PERFECT scenario!

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:05 AM

Twosleepy, I don't think you were screwed out of 17 points. There was an error in the game, so EVERYONE was treated equally for it. You didn't lose anything, because no one else gained anything.
Posted by: Tizzabelle

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
Terry, you haven't set the World game to end on 21 December have you? That would be spooky. wink

As long as the word "game" is included in the sentence, we'll be ok. If it's not included, then I hope we're amongst the chosen few who are taken up on the spacecraft to a new planet so we can keep on playing trivia wink
Posted by: MargW

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:10 AM

Thanks Terry:

(whispering) Do you think you might need to check any other quiz ending dates?
Posted by: sue943

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:17 AM

Lots of messages in main site feedback.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:23 AM

rossian can be proud of having won the largest (in terms of participation) and longest Word Wizard game in the history of FT smile

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:26 AM

Oh, it's like not having a cigarette for 12 hours: scary.

-Nam
Posted by: rossian

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:31 AM

Thanks, Wes. It was the first game I played when I woke up this morning and I had no idea at the time that there was a problem. I didn't realise I'd stayed top all through, though, as I had to go to work.
Posted by: Midget40

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:35 AM

Actually not everyone was penalised equally.

Those of us who needed the game for our daily challenges have missed a challenge because we couln't play it.

I know it's back on now but I only have one more playing hour left in my FT day so I've got buckleys of getting my challenge for the day.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:44 AM

Nope, none of the other games had that issue. Just Word Wizard.

As far as those inconvenienced, once again apologies.

Terry

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Terry: Did you erase the scores for those hours? I got screwed out of 17 rating points!! Is someone going to take care of this?!?!?

Actually, the rating system itself is taking care of it over time. By dropping some points, your next wins will count a bit higher and losses will hurt a bit less. Each hour you play will eat some out of these 17 points - I would estimate that the difference is around 0.3 to 0.4 points for each game at the beginning, but of course it goes down the closer your rating will again get to what it should be.

If you play a regular 6-8 games per day for the next week, you'll be within one point of what you would have been without the error. The loss thus shouldn't hurt your end of year rank, especially since you still have quite some distance to the next player in either direction on the ranking scale.
Posted by: shorthumbz

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 12:07 PM

Sincere thanks for the fix, Terry. Fascinating to learn what caused the problem. Knew it had to be something unusual, but the actual reason was better than that. Sorry for the folks who had their Daily Challenges gummed up. My problem was not so serious for me as for most others(just trying to collect letters), but the repair is really appreciated nevertheless.
Posted by: dippo

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 12:31 PM

The tick doesn't seem to be working correctly. The game is showing as ticked before I've played it this hour.
Posted by: mehaul

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 12:38 PM

There is no time limit on availability of seats in the back of the Urantian spacecraft. Those vessels use time dilation and reversal by means of black hole manipulation to travel back in time. So, though it may seem like weeks of waiting and a feeling that you've been left behind, the ships will eventually return to engineer your safe extraction. Entrance cost will be five X's in your letter account. Once you have 5 X's saved up, expect the ship to arrive for you and yours. Please limit baggage to knick-nacks only. The Urantians can't get enough of them, especially the little Lladro figurines. I think it has something to do with proximity to the Large Hadron Ring Collider that prevents them from going to Spain and getting their own.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone from FT been involved in writing code for CERN?

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: dippo
The tick doesn't seem to be working correctly. The game is showing as ticked before I've played it this hour.

Hmm lets give it another hour and see if it corrects itself. If not I'll dive in and see what's up.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 01:01 PM

Still ticked in this hour, and I haven't played yet.
Posted by: mehaul

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 02:15 PM

Wasn't part of the group stuck in the no-reset. My experience just now was no tick before, played a set with about a dozen others in the 60-200 level. Got a letter (argg, no X!). Got ticked.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 02:24 PM

I played during the long game and I'm unticked.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 02:26 PM

I played once during the long game as well, unticked.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 02:31 PM

Try clearing temporary internet files / cache.
There's really no reason I can think of why a long running game would have messed with ticks.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 03:04 PM

I've cleared my cache and browsing history, and I've still got a tick this hour before I've played.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 03:40 PM

Hmm have put in a fix for something that may be causing it. Let me know if it clears next hr at reset please.

Re: Word Wizard Problem - Fri Dec 07 2012 04:04 PM

It's cleared. Thanks.