MAIN site mail messages

Posted by: Jennings

MAIN site mail messages - Sun Aug 25 2013 08:07 AM

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but is there anyway the system can retain sent messages not just received ones.

If that can't be done, including the received message in the sent one when replying would be very useful.
Posted by: sue943

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Sun Aug 25 2013 10:54 AM

There is nothing to stop you copy and pasting the message into your reply, many people do this. You can also send the message to yourself but it will only remain for two months.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Sun Aug 25 2013 02:54 PM

Thanks for your reply Sue.

I already copy/paste the received message into my reply but the problem is that many people who then reply don't do the same and therefore the communication is broken.

Posting messages to oneself is an option, but this involves copying your message into something like word and pasting it back to FT to yourself so you can send it to yourself. If you do this for every message your personal 'in-box' gets very confusing.

What you suggest is all 'work around'.

Ideally of course, it would be nice if each team had a forum facility as good as this one, but the facility for received messages (which show up as 'original message' when you press the 'Reply to Player who sent note') to be automatically included in your reply would make things a lot easier.

Terry, please consider.

Jennings (Ian)
Posted by: cubswin2323

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Sun Aug 25 2013 09:09 PM

You could try copying and pasting your sent messages into your email, and just set up a separate folder of sent FT messages.
Posted by: shuehorn

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Sun Aug 25 2013 09:14 PM

There are many workarounds, but I think Jennings is asking for a functionality that exists elsewhere to be applied to the PM system on the main side of the site. If it can't be done, that is fine, but I don't think a workaround is being asked for, just info as to whether the enhancement can be provided.
Posted by: HairyBear

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Aug 26 2013 02:42 PM

I actually see this a lot, and not just on here... Someone asks for something and the response is, "Well, if you do this and this and this, it'll give you something like that." Who wants to go to all that trouble? Just give me what I ask for, not a big run-around about how I can sort of get it another way. You get this from salesmen a lot, too, ask them for something specific and they'll say, "Well, this is almost the same," sorry, almost the same is not the same. Worse yet is the response, "You don't really want that." I just walk away when I get that. How do YOU know what I want and don't want, and who are you to tell me what I want? I once lamented that you can no longer get Hershey Krackel bars, and I got a slew of responses from people saying, "Nestle Crunch is the same thing," and, "You can get the little ones in the miniature package." No, it isn't the same thing, and the little ones are okay, but it's not the same, either. Let people want what they want without trying to convince them that a) they don't need it, or b) they don't really want it. Thank you.
Posted by: kyleisalive

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Aug 26 2013 02:50 PM

I think that the other responses on here are just temporary fixes. There's no way of anyone but Terry knowing if retaining messages is doable with our mail system and until his response, there are options here.

Sue, the only staff member to respond thus far, and she was giving the facts of where we are now. Likewise, Dave gave an alternative. They may not be convenient, or perfect, but I don't think it was done to skirt the issue, or try to convince someone that these are better options than the one posed.
Posted by: Terry

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Aug 26 2013 03:06 PM

It's doable, it just hasn't been a high priority. I can add it back to the list though if enough people think it's important.
Posted by: salami_swami

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Aug 26 2013 07:30 PM

I would love a sent folder!

And an "are you sure you want to delete this message" page. If I had a nickel for every time I clicked delete instead of reply...
Posted by: Barbarini

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Aug 26 2013 09:32 PM

Yes please...thanks T!
Posted by: Lones78

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Aug 26 2013 10:59 PM

Yes please Terry - After a while, you get lost in messages and have no idea what a person is on about smile
Posted by: MiraJane

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Tue Aug 27 2013 12:26 AM

If possible, I say Yes, please too.

I get replies and I don't remember what I've written & have no idea what the other person is referring to.
But I think have "Save sent message" should be an option & not the default setting.
Posted by: AdamM7

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Tue Aug 27 2013 01:28 AM

I'd be in favour of this - there's times I can't remember whether I did send someone that message or whether I went to quickly play Word Wizard before the turn of the hour and then forgot about it.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Tue Aug 27 2013 02:07 AM

Thanks, Terry. I think it's a case of "if you don't ask, you don't get".

I would see the system working something like this:

1) Automatically include the 'Original message' in the reply, so that the recipient knows what it was.

2) Create a new folder to hold sent messages (which would look like the current mail folder but without the option to reply. (There's already a convenient space next to the "mail(xx)". The latter being renamed "In-mail".

3) Pressing 'send this message' would automatically send a copy of the note to the sender's "Sent-mail" folder. (Personally I wouldn't as Mirajane suggests make this optional, as sent messages would always be able to be deleted as we can currently do with In-mail).

Not telling you what to do, of course. smilee

Posted by: zippolover

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:06 AM

Yes please, Terry grin

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:27 AM

What if, as Jennings said, the original message was simply put at the bottom of the message? It could even include a drop down option to include all previous notes sent with that conversation (with the same RE: title) able to be pulled up so you can see the entire conversation.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Tue Aug 27 2013 11:08 AM

Terry, whilst you're looking at this could you consider increasing the time limit messages are retained from the current two months to say one or two years.

I've just had a team member return after a considerable period of sickness and she is worried that members might have sent her messages which she can know longer see, and respond to.
Posted by: Jakeroo

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Tue Aug 27 2013 04:46 PM

I agree with all of the above, as well as leaving messages to "ferment" for more than two months. I missed a few messages myself when I was away (despite the fact that I "appeared" to be here, I really wasn't lol). Two years seems a "bit much" storage cost-wise, how 'bout six months?
Posted by: Creedy

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Tue Aug 27 2013 11:03 PM

How odd, I was just thinking this morning that I wish the original sendee's message was included on the bottom of our reply automatically.

(Salami, I've also lost count of the number of times I've accidentally hit delete instead of reply. Freud of course would say that was no accident, but it's annoying. What if I recieve a marriage proposal?! From a very rich gentlemen? From a very rich, very elderly gentleman?)

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Tue Aug 27 2013 11:03 PM

Receive ie

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Wed Aug 28 2013 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Creedy
What if I recieve a marriage proposal?! From a very rich gentlemen? From a very rich, very elderly gentleman?)

You would, of course, inform him that you are otherwise engaged and immediately refer him to me. (Might this very rich, very elderly gentleman have a dodgy ticker perchance? shocked )
Posted by: HairyBear

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Wed Aug 28 2013 02:50 AM

Here's a situation where the messages have gotten off-topic, but I have to respond to the above as a perfect case of what I told a friend... My friend Lou is 68 and single, and dates younger; he was lamenting having to tell women that he's 70 years old in a couple of years, and I said, "Don't say you're 70, say you're 90 with a weak heart and a fat bank account."

To return to the topic at hand, add my yes vote to the above about having a sent mail folder, inclusion of the previous message in the response, and a somewhat longer persistence to the messages.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:00 AM

Oh dear, guilty as charged. Sorry, Jennings smile

(He's our Team Leader. I think he's used to it)
Posted by: rossian

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:49 AM

I think we're all used to it, Creedy! And it adds a lot to the fun in Fun Trivia.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Creedy
Oh dear, guilty as charged. Sorry, Jennings smile

(He's our Team Leader. I think he's used to it)

I certainly am, Pat. smilee
Posted by: veronicavee

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Wed Aug 28 2013 05:34 PM

I will add yes to the message proposal....not the marriage one! Well done, Ian, for bringing this up.
Posted by: Emma058

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Wed Aug 28 2013 08:36 PM

I have accidentally hit delete when I wanted to hit reply to a message. Also, it would be of great help to be able to just reply to a message and see what the writer has written.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Sep 23 2013 12:26 AM

Terry, hopefully you can confirm that this is back on the 'to do' list.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Sep 23 2013 10:37 AM

The reason I suggested that keeping sent messages be optional is that

1. Not everyone wants to keep them.
2. Not every message is worth keeping.
3. If it is optional, then not everyOne will use it. And if it is not used by every member of the site, this saves on storage.
4. Option to save a message can be done on a message by message choice or have "Yes, save very message" option for the option.

Yes, I know that saved sent messages can be deleted. But that is simply another chore to be done. And if others are like me, I put off doing annoying picayune chores such as deleting messages.

As others have also suggested, having the original message one is replying to included would also be helpful.
Posted by: jabb5076

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Sep 23 2013 04:22 PM

I agree with everything you all have said ( except for the rich, elderly single man with a bad heart.) My husband might object to that suggestion, but if he continues to annoy me and there's a very high cliff nearby.....?
Posted by: portgleep

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Sep 23 2013 05:23 PM

I think this would be a really great feature - also one that will make seem FunTrivia seem a bit more professional to newer members.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Mon Sep 23 2013 07:07 PM

I'll take a crack at a new interface for messages too.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Fri Nov 01 2013 02:40 PM

Terry, just wondering how this is progressing?

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Nov 21 2013 08:11 AM

Bump!
Posted by: lesley153

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Nov 21 2013 12:45 PM

Does the retention period start on the date messages are sent, or on the date they're opened?

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Jennings
Terry, just wondering how this is progressing?

Terry, where are you?

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 04:12 PM

I'm here. Nothing has been added to mail at this point. It remains low priority.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 04:26 PM

BTW the main reason this isn't a quick fix is that the FT messaging system is completely wrapped around the quiz correction / submission stuff. So, it's all a bit of a tangled mess. So making a change to how mailboxes work will effect quiz authoring and the correction system too, which has some nasty side effects.

I do agree, it would be a nice addition. It's just not a... trivial... one.
Posted by: sally0malley

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 04:30 PM

Pat, when you receive that marriage proposal could you forward it to me?

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 04:39 PM

I did just add "quote reply" though. That doesn't interfere with any of the other stuff so is an easy add.
Posted by: agony

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 05:53 PM

Just came here to say "Whoo Hoo!" Great addition.
Posted by: postcards2go

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 06:55 PM

Excellent! I've been manually doing that smile

Thanks, Terry!
Posted by: kyleisalive

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Terry
I did just add "quote reply" though. That doesn't interfere with any of the other stuff so is an easy add.

This is amazing.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 07:41 PM

I love the "quote reply" addition!

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 10:31 PM

Oh good. I always forget what conversations were about and forget to add it to the message too. Lol.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 10:31 PM

Oh good. I always forget what conversations were about and forget to add it to the message too. Lol.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Thu Dec 12 2013 11:19 PM

Thanks T, a nice thing.
Posted by: rossian

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Fri Dec 13 2013 12:45 AM

A vote of thanks from me, too.

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Fri Dec 13 2013 03:42 AM

That's excellent!
Posted by: lesley153

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Fri Dec 13 2013 06:15 AM

Just noticed that - brilliant idea. And easier than doing it manually. smile
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Fri Dec 13 2013 06:09 PM

The quote reply function is wonderful! Thank you, Terry!
Posted by: gracious1

Re: MAIN site mail messages - Sun Dec 15 2013 11:00 PM

That is a wonderful feature to have and it makes a big difference. Thanks! smile cool