Who Am I - Content Issues

Posted by: looney_tunes

Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jun 29 2013 05:51 PM

The entry for Julia Gillard will need to be changed, as she is now a former Australian Prime Minister. If there is one for Kevin Rudd, he is no longer a former PM, but the current one. Descriptions such as these are pretty high-maintenance. Perhaps they should be changed to read something like "Became Australian prime Minister in [year]", which will always be a true fact no matter how things change in the future.

Please put corrections & comments for the Who Am I? game here.

previous thread is here: http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/Who_Am_I_Content_Issues
Posted by: nautilator

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jun 30 2013 05:14 PM

Tom Stoppard
Your answer: British screenwriter; playwright; ' Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead' & 'Shakespeare in Love'

There's an extra space after the first quote mark.
Posted by: MiraJane

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 17 2013 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: AlonsoKing
Found a time dependency in today's 'Who Am I' but then I saw it was already reported a while ago:

Originally Posted By: Midget40
German Pontiff; current head of the Catholic Church

Your answer: Pope Benedict XVI

This question will either have to be reworded on this or a different answer provided

Apparently it hasn't been fixed yet so I thought I'd report it again. The question was in today's set 15, (if that's helpful).

If this hasn't been corrected yet, could it *please* read Roman Catholic Church?
And could all entries relating to the church that is headed by the one that calls himself Pope & resides in Vatican City say *Roman* Catholic?

Thanks.
Posted by: tan72

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 13 2013 01:43 PM

Small spelling mistake. The question was 'New Zealand born former premier of Queensland' the answer should be Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen not 'Jo' (his name is short for Johannes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joh_Bjelke-Petersen
Posted by: eyhung

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 14 2013 01:21 AM

Got Sir Jimmy Savile again today in set 30.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 26 2013 05:35 AM

Michael Voss - Australian former Aussie rules footballer; current coach of the Brisbane Lions

He has just been sacked from the Brisbane coaching position. Since coaches come and go quite regularly, it might be better to describe him as a former player, Brownlow medal winner, three-time premiership captain, six-time All Australian team member, etc.
Posted by: gtho4

Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 27 2013 02:19 AM

Appointment of new editor

After a long innings, JMElston has retired as editor of W.A.I. Thank you to JMElston!

His replacement is looney_tunes, who has agreed to take over the reins and keep the database upto date (and correct errors posted in this thread). She can also add-in new entries.

Please make her welcome!
Posted by: rossian

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 27 2013 02:47 AM

Well done to JME for his hard work. Good luck, L_T - you're a glutton for punishment.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 27 2013 03:39 AM

Ah well, if I'm going to play the game (and I will, because it counts as a team game), I might as well try to make the entries accurate. smile I have already addressed my own latest entry about an inaccurate description, and am in the process of checking all recent posted queries to ensure they have been addressed.

Someone has asked about the criteria applied for adding a person's initials to the answer as a clue. I can now see that there is a list kept of names with very low rates of correct response, and I assume that it would be the basis for adding initials. If you see an entry with initials included that you think is not appropriate, please post here and I will investigate it.

Also, please note that this thread only pertains to the entries for each person, not to the combinations that appear. The mechanics of the game need to be addressed in the Feedback Forum.
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 27 2013 05:08 AM

Ooh, well done LT! smile

Perhaps there should be a new entry in WAI...

Looney-Tunes USA-born Aussie-resident mathematical word cruncher extraordinaire.
Posted by: spanishliz

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 27 2013 07:07 AM

Congrats and good luck, Looney-Tunes!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:28 AM

JMElston,

Thank you for your years of hard work maintaining and updating the database.

looney_tunes, congratulations on taking over the monster that Who Am I? is.
Posted by: JanIQ

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:38 AM

Good luck, LT.

Thanks to JME for the several years of maintenance.
Posted by: agony

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 27 2013 10:45 AM

Many thanks to JME for his hard work. Welcome LT
Posted by: mehaul

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 27 2013 11:55 PM

Could "JM Elston, Editor Emeritus of the Who Am I Fun Trivia Game" be added to the database? I believe there are, or used to be, some editors acknowleged in the game.

Best of experiences hoped for LT.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 28 2013 04:32 AM

I have been updating some entries, and would greatly appreciate it if anyone who spots a time-dependent definition (currently, etc.) could post the name of the person here. I need to know the name to see the corresponding definition, so cannot just find and replace all such entries. I would like to make them all factual descriptions that won't change over time, but don't know which ones are currently time-dependent.
Posted by: paul4760

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 28 2013 10:33 AM

Congratulations L_T, don't who anything I wouldn't who.
Posted by: HairyBear

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 28 2013 03:45 PM

Thank you for taking on the task, looney_tunes.

I honestly had no idea who Jimmy Savile was before seeing his name in this thread. Now that I know, I would suggest retaining his name in Who Am I is appropriate, just add a comment to the end of his description, something like "noted pedophile" or "posthumously revealed to be a sexual predator of children". The second one is a bit lengthy for the descriptions in Who Am I, but you get the idea.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 28 2013 05:17 PM

I have removed him, as his name is associated with distressing personal events for many people, who have registered their concern. Since he is not a major international figure (I'm not about to remove Hitler because of World War II), there is little loss from removing him.
Posted by: bisaacs90

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 06 2013 11:18 AM

Set 1 of today's Who am I has two correct answers for one of the questions. In a hurry, I picked (admittedly) the worse of the two answers, but it isn't wrong.

"Draco" is also the name of a fictional wizard created by J.K. Rowling.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 06 2013 03:45 PM

I'm planning to remove fictional characters from the list, as this game is supposed to be about real people. One of the reasons for trying to have more precise descriptions, rather than a number of currently generic descriptions that would fit many people (former football player, for example) is to avoid precisely this problem.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Sep 10 2013 08:35 AM

The author and former SAS soldier is Andy McNab, with only one 'b' at the end, not two as shown in the set I played today.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Sep 11 2013 11:05 PM

In today's set 24:

8. Name by which Mary Katherine Horony Cummings, Hungarian-born American common law wife of Doc Hollida

I'm guessing the letter Y is missing from Doc Holliday's name, along with a ?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 12 2013 12:32 AM

Wow, I haven't ever seen that one before! It's clearly missing "y is known" (no question mark, as this game has descriptions, not questions). Can you tell me the name that it is matched with? I cannot directly look up descriptions to fix them, so I need to know what name it goes with.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 12 2013 04:59 AM

LT, she's called Big Nose Kate. grin

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 12 2013 05:21 AM

I was actually able to look her up by googling the description. But the principle remains valid that I won't always be able to do that - telling me the problem with the description won't always make it possible for me to locate the entry and fix it. As I have noted before, there are an awful lot of 'British TV presenter" entries (although I hope to make them more precise over time).
Posted by: Chavs

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 12 2013 11:54 AM

Sept 12th: Easy - Question Set 1 - Q3
One of the options says "changed to British archaeologist & paleoanthropologist famed for his discoveries in Kenya's Olduvai". I presume "changed to" is a typo?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 12 2013 12:57 PM

I got Louis Leakey in my own set, and have already deleted those words, so future players today should not see them - the final word Gorge also appears again.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 12 2013 01:18 PM

Speedy! smile
Posted by: George95

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 12 2013 05:49 PM

I just played that, and I still saw the changed to part.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 12 2013 09:41 PM

Today's sets may already be cached - it will almost definitely be right by tomorrow. I have seen other changes coming through that quickly.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 12 2013 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: looney_tunes
Wow, I haven't ever seen that one before! It's clearly missing "y is known" (no question mark, as this game has descriptions, not questions). Can you tell me the name that it is matched with? I cannot directly look up descriptions to fix them, so I need to know what name it goes with.

I'm sorry. I didn't want ot give the answer away in the set that was being being play currently! That's why I didn't give Big Nose Kate. Now I know how to report mistake here.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 13 2013 04:11 AM

Seeing that, perhaps I should just clarify that the 'changed to' typo was not a correct answer to the question, there was no Leaky in the set, it was one of the incorrect options offered.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 13 2013 07:08 AM

It doesn't really matter - if you don't identify your set, naming the subject and the description that needs amendment won't really affect much. Some players see the name and have to select the description, some see the reverse; any given name or description could come up more than once in any given set. If you don't identify your set, you aren't revealing much. If it makes you more comfortable, you could wait 24 hours (although then some other set may well include the pairing). Or send a Pm to me, rather than posting here. The value of posting here is that others can see that the issue has been raised, so I don't get 150 messages about the same information.

Yesterday st least three different sets included Louis Leakey. And it may have been the correct answer in one of them, for all I know. Since this thread is mostly used by players who have already completed their set and are reporting an issue, it makes little difference. If anyone (really!) takes the time to check this out for clues before they play, they are taking this whole trivia thing far too seriously. It is rare for there to be more than one entry here a month - right now as I am overhauling the entries, there are more because of all the changes going on, but it should settle down again soon.
Posted by: pyonir

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 13 2013 01:56 PM

This one appears to have been cut off at the end:

"Scottish politician; Labour MP represented West Lothian and Linlithgow; autobiography 'The Importanc"

Correct answer is Tam Dalyell

Full name of autobiography is "The Importance of Being Awkward"

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 13 2013 06:09 PM

That has been fixed.
Posted by: George95

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Sep 14 2013 08:28 PM

Here's another one that I came across today.

changed to British soprano; BBC opera producer; directed Wexford Festival Opera 1982-1994

It was an incorrect answer, but Google tells me it is Elaine Padmore.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Sep 14 2013 10:01 PM

Spotted and fixed, thanks. I had a bad copy-and-paste session one evening!
Posted by: Julia103

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 16 2013 08:47 PM

Here's another one: "changed to UK politician; first Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament (1999-2003) = (Sir David Steel)"

And "African-American civil rights activist; refusal to give up her bus seat in 1965 sparked the Montgome = (Rosa Parks)" cuts off the description, presumeably this should be sparked the Montgomery bus boycott.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Sep 16 2013 08:54 PM

Both fixed now, thanks.
Posted by: halekotsi

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 19 2013 09:05 AM

From yesterday's set 21, the description for Archie Gemmill was cut off at the end. Apparently he scored a famous goal against the Net, which is not uncharacteristic for a soccer player.
Posted by: TimBentley

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 20 2013 09:32 AM

Australian swimmer; first swimmer to win gold in the same event at three successive Olympics (100m w

Dawn Fraser's description
Posted by: Lones78

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Sep 22 2013 04:10 AM

Not sure if it's appropriate to still have Rolf Harris in the mix? It doesn't bother me, but it may cause offence to others - considering the past few months...

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Sep 22 2013 04:41 AM

I thought I'd wait until there was a court decision, not just allegations. If there has been a conviction, I haven't heard of it yet - I would appreciate being informed here if that is the case.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Sep 22 2013 04:46 AM

'Innocent until proven guilty'. It hasn't yet reached even the first stage of court proceedings, but he has been formally charged.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Sep 22 2013 10:58 PM

Another cut-off description:

Scottish soprano opera singer; debuted as Pamina in Australian Opera Company's 'The Magic Flute' in = (Isobel Buchanan)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 26 2013 09:30 PM

Another cut off on the end:

1. Miles Franklin
Australian female writer (1879-1954); 'My Brilliant Career'; established a literary award in her nam

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 26 2013 11:09 PM

talian artist; developed Chiaroscuro technique

I don't know who this is; it was a wrong answer from set 17, question 3.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 27 2013 12:26 AM

I know, because I recognise the description modification, and will fix him shortly.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 01 2013 05:34 PM

lt - you mentioned removing fictional characters and only going with "real people"; what about race horses? Are those going to stay, since they aren't people? Just curious if you'd want us to point those out to you when we come across them.

Thank you, and congrats on the appointment! smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 01 2013 07:13 PM

Horses are going, too, as I discover them - I would certainly appreciate having them pointed out.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 12:44 AM

This has the very short word of tu at the end of the description -

Australian tennis player ranked No. 1 amateur in 1956; member of four victorious Davis Cup teams; tu = (Lew Hoad)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 12:45 AM

I thought I'd wait until there was a court decision, not just allegations. If there has been a conviction, I haven't heard of it yet - I would appreciate being informed here if that is the case.

Do you search by the name of the subject?

I had Affrimed in yesterday's game, if that helps any.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 01:18 AM

Yes, I need the name, then I can locate them and do whatever is necessary.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 04:24 AM

Fictional character in William Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night'

answer: Viola

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 04:44 AM

thanks smile
Posted by: Midget40

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 10:33 AM

Don't suppose there's any chance of removing a heap of adjectives from some of the descriptions?

Like actors who cant just be actors (which is what they are known for) but have to be directors, screenplay writers,singer, songwriter, muscian, musical producer etc etc

Or am I the only one that this annoys? It slows me down when I'm trying to read quickly.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 11:36 AM

I thought the multiple descriptors were an integral part of the game.

(I hope some fictional characters stay. I like getting them. And the racehorses. It adds a bit of fun.)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Chavs

(I hope some fictional characters stay. I like getting them. And the racehorses. It adds a bit of fun.)

I agree with Chavs entirely. Racehorses are athletes, just as much as hockey players and footballers.

The multiple descriptors are extra clues, as far as I can tell, not distractions.
Posted by: zippolover

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: pyonir
Fictional character in William Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night'

answer: Viola

but, but these are the ones that I often get right

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 11:54 AM

Me too!!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 02 2013 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Chavs

I like the fictional characters & racehorses too. Some of them are more well known than the people in this game.

And the extra descriptors help! I don't know who all the actors or actresses are but sometimes I have heard of other things they have done in their lives.

Suzane Somers is an actress as famous for the thigh master, her books, and her skin care (or makeup?) line as for being in some sitcoms.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 03 2013 01:16 AM

I'm not taking about people who do DIFFERENT things I'm talking about the fact that every actor seems to be classed as a director as well ( they may have directed one movie) and a multitude of other things all related to the movie industry.

A singer these days also seems to have to be a performer, a dancer, a songwriter and musical producer as well

Some of these descriptions can have 6 or 7 adjectives which drive me nuts.

When I see the name of someone like Tom Hanks I'm looking quickly down the line to find a description that says something about an American actor not every other little thing he's tried his hat at.

It's just my opinion and obviously not shared by others which is fine.

P.S. I also like the fictional characters

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 03 2013 01:22 AM

Set 28 today has three 'giveaways', which I, personally, don't like. Last time I queried the inclusion of initials, I was told to be thankful, but I prefer more of a challenge.

For the record (these are only partial wordings):

Initials ST = Sylvanus Thayer

Initials AG = Andrew Grove

Known for the Fred Hollows Foundation = (unsurprisingly) Fred Hollows

These are valid people to include but I'd had thought the descriptions could be reworded.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 03 2013 01:57 AM

The initials people have been added to my list, and the initials will be removed - if there isn't anything else distinguishing to say about someone, they shouldn't be there. Fred Hollows is already on my list - but it has hundreds of entries, mostly definitions like "English actress & TV presenter" that could apply to a zillion different people. As I come across them during play, I am putting them on the list to try and find a more personalized description. It just takes time to do the research and decide what to say in the limited space that is available.

If Tom Hanks gets onto my list, the new description would be American actor and then name a film. Deciding which one is the most recognizable will be the hard part. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 03 2013 05:35 AM

It sounds a huge task. Good luck with it.
Posted by: shuehorn

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 03 2013 06:45 PM

I thought the initials were added to entries that were sufficiently obscure that people had trouble getting them right. They don't bother me, but then I am not one of the wizzes at this game.

I like the fictional characters and the racehorses. I hope they don't disappear.

Sue

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Oct 04 2013 03:50 AM

Long may Rin Tin Tin be appearing as a "Who Am I?" item. There were only a handful of more famous performers than the Rin in his prime. Is Lassie going to be sent to the relatives' farm upstate too?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Oct 04 2013 08:44 AM

Dr John H. Watson, fictional character, turned up in my set today.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 06 2013 06:09 AM

Today I got Greyfriars Bobby (a dog) and Fal(l)ine (a fictional deer)

I am just reporting these, but to be honest, would prefer the animals to stay. I find them far more interesting than random soap stars.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 07 2013 07:01 PM

I'd be in favor of keeping the fictional characters and famous horses/dogs, too. I won't get Archie Gemmill (who?), but I'll get Darth Vader!

I have noticed the improvement in descriptors already, looney_tunes, so good job.

One request I would make no one has mentioned yet is when there are multiple job descriptions for actors, musicians, etc., that the title of the movie, tv show, book, or song that s/he did be identified as such. It probably won't help me any; if I don't know who the person is, knowing that s/he appeared in "Over the Waterfall" won't make any more sense than knowing that s/he directed in "Over the Waterfall" or wrote "Over the Waterfall", but it would still be nice to know which one it was.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 07 2013 07:50 PM

Adding the name of a movie, TV show, book, musical composition, etc. is part of the process I have in mind. Usually only one per person, so deciding which one for some of them is a lot harder than it is for one-hit wonders. Word count restrictions mean that I can't always fit in exactly what the individual did, but I have been trying to do so where possible. I personally find it frustrating to be told that someone is a pop or rock musician without knowing either a group they performed with or a song they sang on. I may not know it the first time I see the individual, but I can try to recognise it the next time.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 08 2013 02:36 AM

A couple more which could probably benefit from rewording:

Rudolf Diesel - part of the description is 'inventor of the Diesel engine'

John Dalberg-Acton - 'first Baron Acton' is included in the answer option
Posted by: supersal1

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 08 2013 03:56 AM

Alan Jay Lerner
Your answer: American author; Tony & Oscar-winning lyricist; 'Brigadoon', 'Camelot' & 'My Fair Lady'

The 'American author' part is a real red herring, I started reading the description and initially discounted that answer because of it. If I see 'Author' in the description I'd expect it to describe someone who's written a book!

Just my twopennorth worth but I can't see what's wrong with the animals and fictional characters either. Doesn't hurt to have an easy question in the mix sometimes.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 08 2013 08:43 AM

I didn't know that the diesel engine was invented by someone called Diesel. At least, not until I came to FunTrivia. Things that might look like giveaways to some, might just be educational to others or -- laugh dare I say it tongue wink - just plain fun and games! Is it ok if the game is configured for fun and not a test? ;D Please? smile smile Ok, I'll butt out now.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 08 2013 09:09 AM

That's a fair comment, but maybe something like 'inventor of a heavy oil engine' would be better than a wording that repeats his name.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 08 2013 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By: rossian
That's a fair comment, but maybe something like 'inventor of a heavy oil engine' would be better than a wording that repeats his name.

It's not his fault the engine was named after him.

What about Mr. Fokker, the airplane designer? If the descriptor was "designed fighter planes", that is simply too vague a description.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 08 2013 10:09 AM

I don't mind easy, but I can't see what challenge there is in reading a clue which gives you the answer.

A clue which says 'Dutch designer of Fokker aircraft' is a giveaway, in my opinion and not worth asking. 'Dutch designer of aircraft which bear his name' isn't, but narrows it down sufficiently. That's my opinion, anyway.

Each to their own, but this is a trivia site, asking questions, not just giving information.

I'm sure Looney_Tunes will deal with it as she thinks fit.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 09 2013 05:47 AM

My set today included Aslan, the fictional lion from Narnia.
Posted by: Tizzabelle

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 09 2013 06:35 AM

I have no firm view on the animals but it is a bit silly when the clue is 'race horse', the answer is Phar Lap, and the other answers are Einstein, Nixon, Picasso, Brönte and Depp. wink

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 09 2013 10:36 AM

Until playing Who Am I?, I'd never heard of Phar Lap.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 09 2013 10:45 AM

Me neither. That has filled a gap in our knowledge.
Posted by: froggyx

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 10 2013 08:25 AM

Today's Question Set 24 (Hard)

Dorothy Gale

Your answer: Fictional character; heroine of 'The Wizard of Oz'

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 10 2013 06:28 PM

changed to Dutch 16th century cartographer; navigator known for his exploration of the Arctic lookin = (Willem Barents)

(another "changed to" and end of description is cut off)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Oct 11 2013 08:30 AM

I can definitely see how it would be a whole lot of work to come up with something more specific to distinguish all the footballers and cricketers, but I long for the day when that happens. Ugh.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Oct 11 2013 03:01 PM

Working on it, but there are an awful lot of them!
Posted by: bluestocking

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Oct 12 2013 09:04 PM

Today's question set 23 (timed) contained "Kosh Naranek: Fictional character, Vorlon ambassador on TVs 'Babylon 5.'" While I do love "Babylon 5," I'm doing my duty and reporting him!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 14 2013 01:56 AM

The description for Glenda Jackson includes 'current Member of Parliament', which is still correct but is time dependent and won't be true for much longer as she has already announced that she'll be standing down at the next election.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 14 2013 05:30 AM

Jesse W. Reno

Your answer: American inventor of the escalator; initials are JWR

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Oct 14 2013 09:24 PM

merican-born Greek operatic soprano; known for her three distinct vocal registers

Presumably this is the description for Maria Callas.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 15 2013 10:12 AM

"Welsh writer; actor; documentary film maker = (Kenneth Griffith); changed to Welsh actor; documentar"

Had this today which is presumably a change that's been made and still managed to keep both sets of text

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 15 2013 11:41 AM

Now it says "Welsh actor; documentary film maker; 'The Public's Right to Know'", which was the intended change.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Oct 15 2013 03:23 PM

Wow, of all the films I associate with Kenneth Griffith, that is the one that would be least useful to me. Why leave out the fact that he's a writer? I associate him with his history of the siege of Ladysmith at least as much as with his films.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 16 2013 06:01 PM

Wonky sentence for what I think should be Catherine Cookson's definition:

Quote:
prolific English author (1906-1998); many books adapted for film & TV, including 'The Black Velvet G
sic

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 24 2013 01:16 PM

Lesley-Anne Down

Your answer: English film & TV actress

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Oct 25 2013 02:54 PM

Fictional character one:

Meredith Grey

"Fictional character; female surgeon on TVs 'Grey's Anatomy' played by Ellen Pompeo"
Posted by: zorba_scank

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Oct 25 2013 10:01 PM

English astronomer; observed 'Baily's beads'

Ans. Francis Baily

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 27 2013 01:05 AM

American novelist; 'Two Years Before the Mast'; initials are RHD

Richard Henry Dana Jr.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 30 2013 04:19 AM

Member of the Brecker Brothers - Michael Brecker.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Oct 31 2013 10:52 PM

British conductor; President of the London Symphony Orchestra; initials are CD

Colin Davis

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 01 2013 02:48 AM

I had the fictional Vicar of Dibley in my set today - Geraldine Granger is the answer.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 01 2013 03:40 AM

I'll see if I can change that to be part of the Dawn French description.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 01 2013 10:06 AM

American photographer
Your answer: Minor White

Kinda bare on the ID? How about adding MIT Prof/Photography 66-76?

He was there in Cambridge when Edwin Land built Polaroid into a giant. They must've met. During this time Harold Edgerton of strobe photography fame, was teaching photography at MIT. He was also a curator of the George Eastman Estate in NY state.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_White

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 01 2013 03:43 PM

Thanks, I hadn't seen his name yet - now to fit the information into 100 characters (makes me understand why the database has so many incredibly brief entries, as deciding what to include as the most memorable facts can be tricky).

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Nov 03 2013 03:32 AM

Two from my set today:

Racehorse - Makybe Diva

Initials PF - Perry Ferguson

Sorry if they've been mentioned before - I don't have time (inclination) to plough through the whole thread.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Nov 03 2013 03:38 AM

I just add everything to my list,and check it when I get there- all information is useful.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Nov 04 2013 12:34 AM

Dutch sailor; explorer; lead second European group to land in Australia

Your answer: Dirk Hartog

Should be "led". Not sure why it has become common (mis-)practice to spell the past tense of lead like the past tense of read.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 05 2013 12:18 PM

The entry for Michael Bryant includes his initials.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 07 2013 04:25 PM

Fictional Character:

Fictional character; mascot & iconic cover boy of Mad Magazine

Alfred E. Neumann

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 08 2013 12:27 PM

Tommy Cannon = English comedian: 'Cannon and Ball'. This could be reworded as 'English comedian: partner to Bobby Ball', which would be less of a giveaway.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 09 2013 12:45 AM

Raphael Semmes has his initials at the end

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 09 2013 08:13 AM

Fictional character - Archie Andrews

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 09 2013 09:52 AM

L_T,
Please don't change this game. I thought before it offered a name and we had to see if we knew the owner of that name whether it was real or imagined, human, animal or fiction (I wondered why some place names weren't part of the mix). It was laid out in a standard format too: ethnic descriptive followed by some particulars (ie, Scottish-American engineer, famous bridge - not: Engineer of bridges from Scotland and America). I have seen a couple now that state mid descriptive that a USA background attaches to the answer. The related countries were always in the fore. And the trailing initials usually were part of extremely obscure answers. I often take an extra moment on a guess answer to scan the right side of the answers to see if there is a matching set of initials. Takes me a little longer, sure, it is easier but I pay the time penalty for that. I learned some names that way. Too often on a wrong guess it is easy to ignore the correct answer when it follows that big red X. Much more informative to do the learning by the question itself.

This is just a request to limit changes in the game to corrections of typos, wrong origins and such just as JMElston did before. Please don't build a whole new game.
mehaul

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 09 2013 10:25 AM

Mehaul, some of the previous descriptions of family background, national origins, etc were wrong. It was not correct, for example, to call Rudyard Kipling "Indian-born" simply because he was born in India. It's fine to say he was a British author born in India, but not right to imply he was ever Indian. Salman Rushdie on the other hand was Indian born but is now British. Looney_Tunes is doing her best to correct these issues within a very limited space but they do need correction even though many earlier requests were ignored.

Many of these issues arise because the people concerned were born in the days of the British Empire but there are also issues stemming from pre-WWII Europe, when there were many more groups of people with one nationality living in countries with another. I don't know how LT has decided to refer to Kafka, for example, but saying he was a Czech is wrong, even though he was born and lived in Prague. But if he was described solely as German without any reference to his Czech residence then this would be equally confusing.

Solving some of these issues doesn't lend itself easily to the old format. 'Indian-born British writer' may be correct for Rushdie but for Kipling it's not quite right - whereas 'British writer born in India' is correct for both of them.

Looney_Tunes will no doubt produce a consistent format over time but it will take time to do this. In the meantime, as players we have to get used to the occasional hiccough while the errors are corrected and the best method of incorporating change is worked out - but in the end we should have an even better game.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 09 2013 12:14 PM

Why did you choose such a world traveler as Kipling as an example? He was practically a Green Mountain Boy from his time living in Vermont, USA. And though I cannot find records of it, he must have resided (vacationed?) for a short time (like Sebastian Junger did to write "The Perfect Storm") in Gloucester, Massachusetts to pen "Captains Courageous". I'd hardly expect any of that to show up in a 50 text character resume. But the India born bit is good to help people understand his background for his two "Jungle" series of work.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 09 2013 12:22 PM

I chose it because the old FT description said Indian-born but in British English that implies he was either an Indian or had Indian nationality, whereas he was the British child of British parents who happened to be in India at the time of the Raj. So saying he was 'born in India' is correct, implying that he had ever been Indian is not.
Posted by: Emma058

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 09 2013 03:08 PM

Here is one: Immanuel Kant
Born 22 April 1724
Königsberg, Kingdom of Prussia
(now Kaliningrad, Russia)
Died 12 February 1804 (aged 79)
Königsberg, Kingdom of Prussia

So rather than have him German, that means that by today's land borders, he would be Russian.

Most would say Immanuel Kant was a German philosopher.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 09 2013 11:51 PM

9. Northern Irish political activist; youngest woman elected to Britsh Parliament

Your answer: Bernadette Devlin McAliskey

"i" left out of British

10. Soviet military commander; WWII hero; lead the suppresion of the Hungarian Revolution

Your answer: Ivan Konev

should be "led" once again, and an "s" left out of suppression

Minor, I know, but you can add them to the list.

Mehaul, I agree with you in principle, but you've arrived late in the game. The removal of the fictional and animal names has been going on for quite some time already.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Nov 10 2013 02:07 AM

The game is called 'Who Am I', not 'What Am I', so I'm in agreement with the animals being removed. There are plenty of real people to include, without having fictional ones and (as I've said previously) I'm not keen on descriptions which give away the answer. If the person is worthy of inclusion, there should be a way of describing them without needing to use their initials, or repeat their name in some way. I'm glad to see the game evolving.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Nov 10 2013 03:28 AM

There are two versions of the game, one easy, one hard. The easy one shouldn't have clues. The hard one should have them when necessary.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Nov 10 2013 04:23 AM

The two 'versions' draw their questions from the same pool of names and definitions. The selection is based on apparent difficulty according to the proportion of correct identifications in recent play, which is a dynamic statistic, so every name could potentially appear in both pools. (I am not familiar with the actual algorithm used, so cannot say for sure, but I expect that there are actually three ranges of questions, with easy and medium success rates being drawn on for the easy game,and medium and hard for the hard game, but that is pure speculation.) This means that every description has to be suitable for both games.

The changes that have been made recently involve expansion of information, not change of question format. Previously, there were far too many descriptions that were generic,and could apply to many people. This is a problem when two of them appear in the same set of names. It won't be two with exactly the same description (you'll only get one Australian former cricketer at a time), but similar descriptions can appear - British film & TV actress could appear along with English TV & Film actress, for example. That is an unfair 50-50 decision when including a bit more information (within the 100 character limit) could make it clear which one is appropriate for the name in the question.

Not all entries start with the country of origin, although the overwhelming majority do, and that still applies. Removal of initials is not simply removing them - it involves rewriting the description to make it easier to identify the person without having to resort to initials. This should reduce the number of guess answers, and allow players to learn about the people as they play, assuming they take the time to read the description and don't just match on the basis of nationality.

It is most constructive to offer here the specific names that you encounter with which you have some issue, since I need to enter a specific name in order to access the description in the database.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Nov 10 2013 04:36 AM

Fictional character - Hazel-Ra

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Nov 10 2013 07:53 AM

Monica Dickens - English writer; great-granddaughter of Charles Dickens

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Nov 10 2013 11:14 AM

Thank you L_T for the reassurance that the games will remain essentially the same. And, thank you for fixing some of the errors. I hope you understand I know that not all changes please everyone all the time. I only wanted to express that if all the 'reported errors' are acted on, the game would be different.
I always was led to believe by JME's postings that the easier game came from a separate database. If they don't then my thoughts on clues was errant.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Nov 11 2013 03:32 AM

Two more for your list:

John Dee - his initials are in the question

Alexei Sayle - his name is part of the question
Posted by: glendathecat

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 12 2013 11:16 AM

Here's I. M. Pei.
Chinese-born American architect; designed Louvre Pyramids; Rock&Roll HoF

Not sure I like the contraction of Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame to beat the guillotine on number of characters but the semi-colon after Pyramids should make him an inductee of the Hall of Fame rather than its designer.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 12 2013 11:29 AM

Jesse Chisholm's description has a reference to the Chisholm trail in it.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 14 2013 12:14 PM

Percival Lowell - Initials in question.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 15 2013 02:14 PM

Fictional character - Lorna Doone

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 15 2013 03:25 PM

Minor White - American photographer; taught at MIT; curator of George Eastman House; co-founder of 'Aperture'

Nicely done L_T.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 15 2013 07:42 PM

Thank you, mehaul.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Nov 18 2013 09:43 AM

I had a good set today, with four which would benefit from rewording:

Charles Halle - founded Halle orchestra

Charles Hambro - Baron Hambro

Chas Hodges - singer with Chas and Dave

Neils Abel - Abelian groups

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 19 2013 10:45 AM

Two more for review, L_T:

Joseph Louis Lagrange - discovered Langrangian Points

Harry G. Selfridge Sr. - founder of Selfridge's store

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 19 2013 11:28 AM

I got those in today's set and noted them, thanks.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 19 2013 04:14 PM

Vincent Lopez - Initials in question.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 23 2013 11:54 AM

In today's question set 17 (difficult) I had Johann Strauss I, described as "Austrian composer; father of Johann Strauss II."

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Nov 26 2013 08:56 AM

Georg Ossian Sars - definition includes 'son of Michael Sars'. Mind you, I was glad to see that as I'd never heard of him!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Nov 27 2013 04:59 AM

Today's Question Set 16 (difficult) identifies Elihu Yale as "British East India Co. agent; founder of Yale University."

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 28 2013 10:37 AM

Odd Aukrust - brother of Kjell Aukrust.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 28 2013 12:51 PM

I'm none the wiser - he's going to the top of the list instead of the bottom, as I am intrigued to find out more.
Posted by: Tizzabelle

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 28 2013 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: rossian
Odd Aukrust - brother of Kjell Aukrust.

I'm none the wiser - he's going to the top of the list instead of the bottom, as I am intrigued to find out more.

You will let me know if Odd's sibling's name is Even, won't you? wink

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 28 2013 01:51 PM

Who besides me looked up the information for Odd, Kjell, and cousin Tor?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 28 2013 03:11 PM

Haven't got time to work up a new description until at least this evening when I get home from work, maybe tomorrow morning if I am as exhausted this evening as in previous nights this week - but I will post it here. I will also check if any of the others have entries, and what modifications might be needed for them. It has surprised me to find a number of people identified by relatives who aren't listed in their own right.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Nov 28 2013 04:06 PM

Uncle Olav looks the most interesting one of the Aukrust family, although they'd none of them appeared on my radar until today.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 30 2013 03:51 AM

Fictional character - Bathsheba Everdene

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Dec 04 2013 05:18 AM

A new one to me:

August Krogh - Danish zoophysiologist; developed the Krogh principle
Posted by: Upstart3

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Dec 04 2013 05:38 AM

I got this one today.

Edna Pontellier - "Fictional character; female protagonist of 'The Awakening' by Kate Chopin"
Posted by: froggyx

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Dec 06 2013 03:53 AM

today's set 20

Modesty Blaise

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Dec 08 2013 06:52 AM

Two issues in today's set.

"Rudolph Isley" - his name is mentioned in the description.

"Dennis Ritchie": the description mentions his initials.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Dec 08 2013 08:54 PM

From today, an extra set of ( ) around the last name:

Jamaican-born female singer-songwriter; 'My Boy Lollipop' = (Millie (Small))

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Dec 08 2013 09:53 PM

The brackets are there because she is often known simply as Millie. they do look strange to my eye, because I think of her as Millie Small, so I think I'll remove them.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Dec 14 2013 12:09 AM

This entry is outdated because he is no longer the prime minister of Thailand -

8. Thai politician; economist; current (27th) Prime Minister
Your answer: Abhisit Vejjajiva

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 16 2013 11:33 AM

Two from today's set 28 where the descriptions give away the names -

David H. Levy and Justin S. Morrill

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Dec 19 2013 06:32 AM

English writer; brother of Dame Edith Sitwell
Your answer: Sir Osbert Sitwell

Sir Osbert Sitwell = (English writer; brother of Dame Edith Sitwell)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Dec 20 2013 04:19 PM

Mildred Hill
Your answer: American songwriter of the melody of 'Happy Birthday, to You'; Hill Foundation

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Dec 26 2013 04:42 PM

Dwight F. Davis
Your answer: American former tennis player; politician; founder of the Davis Cup

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Dec 28 2013 05:32 AM

Fictional character - Lestat de Lioncourt

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jan 02 2014 10:00 AM

Fictional character - Fitzwilliam Darcy

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jan 04 2014 07:22 AM

William Etty
Your answer: English painter of historical & classical subjects; initials are WE

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jan 04 2014 12:02 PM

Dorothy Wordsworth - description includes 'sister of William Wordsworth'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 08 2014 05:36 PM

Joseph Louis Lagrange - His description is missing an "I" at the start. Unless he's just a "talian" tongue

and

Nicholas Monsarrat - Initials in the answer.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 08 2014 06:13 PM

I got both of those today, and they have been changed.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jan 11 2014 11:18 PM

The question/ descriptive is missing a )

11. East Timorese former militant; politician; first President (2002-2007; became Prime Minister in 2007
Your answer: Xanana Gusmao

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 14 2014 07:55 AM

Two from my set today:

Larry Niven - description includes his initials

Michael Valentine Smith - fictional

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 14 2014 11:58 AM

We played the same set. laugh

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 14 2014 12:10 PM

I usually check that, too, but I forgot today. Ah well, at least I know I won't see them again!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 14 2014 01:33 PM

Nooo! Hope to see them again but in an acceptable form.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 14 2014 01:51 PM

Initials disappear, and the description adjusted to provide appropriate information (if necessary - not in this case). Fictional characters go - this game is about real people. I am keeping a file of them, in case a decision is ever made in the future to restore them.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 14 2014 07:49 PM

Can't the fictionals be turned around as answers to who the author was if that author doesn't have an entry? Sorry if I missed that that is the standard practice.
Thanks for the extra work of building a file on the "gone but not forgotten"s.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 14 2014 11:43 PM

Authors have entries, but it usually lists the book title, not the name of one of their characters.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 15 2014 02:08 AM

Some authors, especially mystery writers, are better known for the name of their character than the names of their books. Just an observation.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 15 2014 02:21 AM

Of course - and that's how they would be identified,especially for authors whose books have different titles when published in different countries. The point is that the names are those of real people, with enough information to allow players to identify them. Not just "English mystery writer", but "English mystery writer; created Hercule Poirot & Jane Marple", for example. But an entry for Hercule Poirot as "fictional Belgian detective created by Agatha Christie" would be deleted.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 15 2014 03:26 PM

Once you have enough names accumulated, it might be interesting to have a subsidiary game, Who Am I (fictional). Of course, you could go crazy with the 100K names of characters from TV shows and movies. I wouldn't know one name from Upstairs, Downstairs, but apparently the show had a huge following and a hundred different characters milling about. Still, I think Sherlock Holmes is important enough to merit his own game.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 17 2014 06:34 PM

Ella Fitzgerald
American Jazz singer; nicknamed 'The Queen of Jazz'& 'The First Lady of Song'

A space is missing before the &.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jan 18 2014 10:48 AM

Martha J Coston - her description needs rewording as her name appears in the thing she invented, which is part of it.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jan 20 2014 10:34 AM

I was going to mention Donner and Tulloch but I'm guessing you'll already have spotted them!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jan 20 2014 11:51 AM

Absolutely.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jan 20 2014 01:28 PM

Ahura Mazda - this is the name of a deity, not a person

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jan 21 2014 10:35 AM

Stephen Fry's description includes 'member of Fry and Laurie'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 22 2014 11:55 AM

An odd one today - the name just says 'Isley', no first name, and the answer includes 'member of the Isley Brothers'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 22 2014 06:50 PM

Elizabeth II
Your answer: British royalty; current head of the UK & Commonwealth

The 'current' will prove wrong at some point. Why not fix it now?
Is the Commonwealth the end of the answer? There are Commonwealths she has nothing to do with. Should that read British Commonwealths?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 22 2014 07:26 PM

I'll leave it up to LT to decide if she wants to remove the word 'current'. However, the Commonwealth's full title is the 'Commonwealth of Nations' and not the British Commonwealth - and its accepted short form is simply to be called 'The Commonwealth'. It's pretty clear which Commonwealth is meant by its proximity to the 'UK' - no one would assume that means 'head of the UK and Commonwealth of Massachusetts' or anywhere else.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jan 22 2014 08:21 PM

I thought you guys in England would be abed by now smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jan 31 2014 06:32 PM

Joseph Henry - Initials are in the description.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Feb 10 2014 04:16 AM

Christopher Cockerell was knighted in 1969. I've seen "Sir" before a lot of the others, so wasn't sure if he should have "Sir" in front of his name as well. Posting, just in case.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Feb 14 2014 11:46 AM

I had Arkle in my set today.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Feb 14 2014 03:37 PM

Elizabeth II

Says "current" in the description. You mentioned early in the topic you wanted to be notified of these.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Feb 17 2014 03:06 PM

Frank Bridge - initials are in the description.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Feb 26 2014 12:20 PM

Ferde Grofe - initials are in the description.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Feb 28 2014 10:39 AM

Margaret Thatcher
Your answer: British politician; former Prime Minister; now a Baroness

"Now" seems a bit outdated.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Feb 28 2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: nautilator
Margaret Thatcher
Your answer: British politician; former Prime Minister; now a Baroness

"Now" seems a bit outdated.

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh. blush

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Feb 28 2014 08:25 PM

Marjorie Joyner
African-American businesswoman; inventor; maybe the 1st African-American woman to receive a patent

According to African American Women Inventors: Historical the first patent granted to an African-American woman was in 1885. Marjorie Joyner's was in 1928.
(The "maybe" caught my attention, so I went looking.)
Posted by: ssabreman

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Mar 07 2014 11:27 AM

12. Australian singer-songwrite of Greek descentr; guitarist for Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' tour

Looks like the 'r' went for a moonwalk.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Mar 09 2014 12:33 AM

Dirk Pitt - Fictional character.
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Mar 17 2014 07:22 PM

Quote:
Merican politician (1754-1807); 1st president of University of Georgia
Your answer: Abraham Baldwin

Should be 'American'.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Mar 17 2014 08:23 PM

Got him today, already fixed.
Posted by: DomiNeyTor

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Mar 18 2014 08:30 PM

Kosh Naranek - fictional character

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Mar 18 2014 11:26 PM

13. Albert Gallatin

The correct answer was Swiss-American ethnologist; linguist; politician; diploma; longest serving Secretary of the Treasury

I think the T is missing at the end of diploma.
Posted by: ozzz2002

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Mar 20 2014 07:09 PM

Byron Foulger
Your answer: Scottish neoclassical architect (1728-1792); interior & furniture designer

The correct answer was American stage, film & TV actor; Mr Gurney & Wendell Gibbs on 'Peticoat Junction'

Typo- 'Petticoat'

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Apr 12 2014 07:53 AM

Bobbie Gentry's first name was misspelled "Bobby" the other day.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun May 04 2014 01:45 AM

I haven't seen one of these for a while, which proves what a good job you've done L_T, but I had Claire Chennault today, with her initials in the description.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun May 04 2014 02:13 AM

Hers will disappear shortly. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun May 04 2014 07:48 AM

Umm, Claire Chennault was a "he" who led the Flying Tigers. See here:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/clchenna.htm

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun May 04 2014 08:07 AM

Oops!
Posted by: mpkitty

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu May 08 2014 02:23 PM

I had this one today, should there be more?

"English lighthouse keeper's daughter famed for heroic 1838 rescue of survivors of the shipwrecked Fo" = (Grace Darling)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri May 09 2014 09:47 AM

Originally Posted By: mpkitty

"English lighthouse keeper's daughter famed for heroic 1838 rescue of survivors of the shipwrecked Fo" = (Grace Darling)

Yes. "... survivors from the shipwrecked Forfarshire in 1838."

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri May 09 2014 12:38 PM

Today's set had a racehorse named Bernborough.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri May 09 2014 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: MiraJane
Originally Posted By: mpkitty

Yes. "... survivors from the shipwrecked Forfarshire in 1838."

That is obviously one of my earliest updates, before I realised the character limit on entries. It has now been amended to fit!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat May 10 2014 01:18 AM

Arthur Holly Compton

American physicist; Nobel Prize-winner; discovered the Compton Effect

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon May 12 2014 09:28 PM

Nellie Stewart
ustralian stage actress; known for comic operetta work; Nell Gwynne in 'Sweet Nell of Old Drury'

Should be Australian (initial letter was cut off).
Posted by: mpkitty

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue May 13 2014 12:13 PM

Today the description was: British singer-songwriter; married to Heidi Klum

The answer was Seal, but it should say "formerly" married to Heidi Klum.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed May 14 2014 02:41 PM

Carl Keenan Seyfert
Your answer: American astronomer; Seyfert galaxies are named after him

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun May 18 2014 02:01 PM

I assume you noticed Eric Morecambe's description needed a reword, L_T.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun May 18 2014 02:04 PM

Yep.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun May 18 2014 02:34 PM

I don't know why I asked, really!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon May 19 2014 01:51 AM

Johan Jakob Balmer's description includes his surname.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon May 26 2014 05:46 PM

John McDouall Stuart - Australian explorer; most accomplished & famous of all Australia's inland explorers

According to his Wikipedia page, Stuart was born in Scotland. He didn't emigrate to Australia until he was 23. Wouldn't that make him a Scottish explorer? At least should be referred to as "Scottish born", no?

Just thought I'd point it out.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri May 30 2014 02:15 PM

Johann Cruyff

According to his Wiki page and official Twitter account, his name is actually spelled with one "n". Johan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Cruyff
https://twitter.com/JohanCruyff
Posted by: sue943

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jun 06 2014 02:46 AM

I have just received the following DM from a member...

Quote:

I was playing "who am I"; so frustrated cause there is no area to report problems with a question at the bottom of the quiz as reported in FAQ's.

I do recall I was playing 'easier' level, set 7 I believe.

Anyway the question referred to Rosa Parks sparking the Montgomery Bus Boycott but the year referenced in the question was 1965, the correct year should have read 1955!

An event as important ought have the proper historical placement.

Hope you can forward this note to those responsible for making corrections.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jun 06 2014 03:25 AM

I will change that entry immediately!
Posted by: sue943

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jun 06 2014 06:16 AM

Many thanks.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jun 10 2014 03:59 AM

Shergar the race horse was still in the system a day or two ago. I actually don't mind the racehorses, but since you've taken out all the others...

Are there duplicates in the system? I sometimes get the same name a few days apart but with a different description, and I wonder if you've made a change or if the person is in there twice.

Are you at all interested in new names? I have no way of knowing whether the names I suggest are already in the system, of course, so that could be a bit of work checking.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jun 10 2014 12:59 PM

I will remove Shergar.

I can't actually see the entire database, just call up entries by entering the name. I assume this means that there is a single listing for each person! Since I make changes, you could get the same name two days in a row with different descriptions, for sure.

I haven't yet worked out how to add names - what I thought would work didn't when I tried it. Since there are already so many names, I haven't been too worried about additions, but do have a short list of names I noticed weren't there when I looked to see how they were described. If there are names you would like added, post them here and I will (a) check to see if they are already there; (b) try to sort out how to make additions.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 12 2014 03:22 PM

Quote:
English singer-songwriter; with her husband Tony Trent wrote many hits for Petula Clark & others

This is the description for Jackie Trent. Her husband was Tony Hatch, not Trent.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jun 12 2014 04:33 PM

I knew that. blush

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jun 16 2014 03:00 PM

Leopold Stokowski

Current description says: "Anglo-American conductor; 'Fantasia'"

If he was born and raised in London, shouldn't he be a British conductor, or at least British-born as some other descriptions say? From his Wiki he didn't come to the US until he was 23yo.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jul 05 2014 07:52 AM

"8. British royalty; current head of the UK & Commonwealth".

This description (from set 23) will go stale soon, I suppose. The person in question ascended the throne in 1952.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jul 05 2014 08:05 AM

Given that her mother lived nearly to the age of 102, perhaps not as soon as you think. smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jul 05 2014 03:41 PM

I'm prepared to change it when it does go stale, but it works for now. Her successor's entry will need to be changed at the same time, whenever it is.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jul 05 2014 04:07 PM

My sister and The Queen are the same age, give or take a month or two, and my sister shows no sign of "going stale" any time soon.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Jul 06 2014 09:31 AM

A couple of fictional critters: Gumby, Indiana Jones, Horatio Hornblower.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 16 2014 12:09 PM

Also, Bagheera and Christopher Robin.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 16 2014 12:15 PM

Christopher Robin is real! smile

And so is bagheera, as far as I am concerned.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 16 2014 01:02 PM

I think the fictional characters must be easy to guess - I've never seen these ones in the sets I play!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 16 2014 02:10 PM

Christopher Robin was definitely real, a real boy with a real bear. There's a picture of them both here.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jul 17 2014 12:45 AM

But the current description refers to the fictional character. I will be amending it this weekend.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 18 2014 01:11 PM

The descriptions for both David Plowright and Annie Ross need a bit of work, L_T.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Jul 19 2014 04:32 PM

Andrew Carnegie is listed as "American industrialist; philanthropist" -- he was born in Scotland, so wouldn't Scottish-American be better?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jul 21 2014 03:59 PM

Darryl Somers

His first name is actually only spelled with one "r".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Somers
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0813838/

Thanks!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Jul 21 2014 09:16 PM

Gumby isn't real?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jul 22 2014 12:28 AM

Depends on who you ask.

Captain Queeg and Eleanor Rigby are problem children too.
Posted by: lonely-lady

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Jul 22 2014 01:43 PM

Rev. Chad Varah
Your answer: English Anglican priest; founder of the 'Samaritans'

He was the only religious person there so I got it right

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 23 2014 11:20 AM

Another one today: Mary Poppins.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 23 2014 12:04 PM

AW, come on, you canNOT be serious. Lovely Merry Puppinz!!!?? Real. End of.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 23 2014 06:37 PM

Either that or she shouldn't be described as "fictional" smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 23 2014 07:41 PM

I guess that means that Pokey and Mr. Bill aren't real. Wherefore Mr. Hand? My childhood is in tatters. Is Bob Keeshan real but not as Captain Kangaroo? Shouldn't the fictitious characters be allowed if their portrayers or creators are mentioned?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jul 24 2014 01:16 AM

I am happy to keep the creators, and the real-life person on whom a fictional character was based, but not the fictional characters. Bob Keeshan,for example, could be included and described as the actor who portrayed Captain Kangaroo. Fred Rogers would be harder to describe without using his surname.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jul 24 2014 05:56 PM

Fred Rogers would be harder to describe without using his surname.

I'm not sure what the character limit is. Would "American children's TV show host, sang about his 'Neighborhood' " fit? (I loved Mr. Rogers when I was growing up.)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Jul 24 2014 06:42 PM

Please leave Fred Rogers' name in, for us non-Americans who never saw that show it would be impossible to guess without a big clue! smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 25 2014 12:36 AM

Another one, from today's set: SpongeBob SquarePants. Won't miss him of all critters.

If you haven't, you may want to fish around a bit. If Bagheera was there, Baloo probably is. I know some the Greek gods (Zeus, Ares, Athena) used to be, as were a few horses (Secretariat, Red Rum, Seabiscuit?, Mine That Bird?). Haven't seen any of them recently though.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 25 2014 01:34 AM

I can't actually see what is there, I have to enter the name and then see, if it comes up, what the description is. So far, I have been kept busy enough with the changes that have been identified as needed, without going out of my way to find them. Spongebob will disappear this weekend. Most of the fictional and animal ones seem to come up in the easier set (not really surprising), as I don't see them when I play harder.

I'm not even sure that Fred Rogers is there - it was a hypothetical example of a name that would be hard to define for outsiders without using his name. Then again, I have managed something for an awful lot of entries that used to read "British stage actress; television presenter". You may not recognise the character or show, but at least it is something tangible that can be connected to the name and recalled in the future.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Jul 25 2014 05:50 AM

Fred Rogers is there... I think the description reads something like "... star of Mr Rogers' Neighborhood..." smile

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Jul 30 2014 03:03 PM

Oscar Kokoschka

According to the Guggenheim Museum and Tate Gallery websites, his first name should be spelled 'Oskar'.

http://www.guggenheim.org/new-york/collections/collection-online/artists/bios/1282
http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/oskar-kokoschka-1430
Posted by: goodreporter

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 01 2014 03:43 PM

There is a problem with a question in today's game.
I played in question set 12. One of the questions asked who the current king of Spain was.
Since King Juan Carlos abdicated in favor of his son in June, the answer is no longer accurate. It needs to be changed to Felipe VI.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 01 2014 05:45 PM

Actually, these aren't questions, but descriptions. Juan Carlos is the name in the list, but the description will be changed to former king rather than current king. I will also check to see if Felipe is listed; if he is, I will change his description.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 01 2014 05:46 PM

Here are some of the brightest conservative lights of the 20th century, mostly American but also a couple of Austrians. There are others, of course, but these are the ones I'm most familiar with. I haven't seen any of them pop up in Who Am I, but they should be in there. Perhaps Ayn Rand is in the "Easy" category.

William F. Buckley, Jr.: American conservative author, pundit, TV show host, founder & editor of National Review, and one-time candidate for NY mayor

Rush Limbaugh: American conservative radio talk show host and pundit; lightning rod for liberal hostility and anger

Barry Goldwater: American conservative politician, former senator from Arizona, former Republican candidate for president in 1964

L. Brent Bozell, Jr.: American conservative writer, brother-in-law of William F. Buckley, Jr., ghostwriter of The Conscience of a Conservative for Barry Goldwater

Ayn Rand: Russian-American female conservative novelist, philosopher, writer, public speaker; originator of Objectivism; Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead

Russell Kirk: American conservative political theorist, writer; The Conservative Mind

Milton Friedman: Jewish-American conservative economist, Nobel Prize winner, adviser to Ronald Reagan; A Monetary History of the United States, Free to Choose

Friedrich Hayek: Austrian-British conservative economist, author; pointed out the similarities of Naziism and Communism; The Road to Serfdom

Ludwig von Mises: Jewish-Austrian conservative economist based in the US, member of Austrian School; Human Action, Socialism, The Theory of Money and Credit

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 01 2014 07:45 PM

Are nom-de-plumes acceptable? I should think that Samuel Clemens would be a good name but Mark Twain shouldn't be. Samuel Clemens - American chronicler of river life as Mark Twain. But not Mark Twain - American alias of Samuel Clemens, creator of Tom Sawyer.
Mark Twain: Fictitious name
Samuel Clemens: Real person

If so, the list above needs Ayn Rand changed to Alisa Rosenbaum - Russian American novelist published as Ayn Rand.

Edit to correct error in typing Clemens. Thanks Funsterhead.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 01 2014 07:56 PM

I still haven't worked out how to add names to the list, but will add these suggestions to my list of names I would like to add. Most of these descriptions are too long, and will need to be shortened - the limit is 100 characters including spaces.

Ayn Rand,Rush Limbaugh and Bary Goldwater are already in the game.

As I have mentioned before, there are not two separate pools for the easy and difficult games. There is a single pool, and Terry has in place an algorithm that uses the recorded difficulty of each name (percentage of players choosing correctly; I don't know if the algorithm considers picking the name from the description and picking the description given the name as being the same process, or independent) to make selections each day. They are not static, so names do move around.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Aug 03 2014 01:41 PM

I always play difficult as I assume the easy will be mostly Americans

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 06 2014 12:45 PM

My set today included Arkle.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 06 2014 01:25 PM

"Most of these descriptions are too long, and will need to be shortened - the limit is 100 characters including spaces."

I figured they were, but I wanted to give you plenty to work with.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 06 2014 11:59 PM

Manute Bol -- Sudanese retired NBA basketball player

He's more than retired now, I fear. (RIP)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 11 2014 03:37 PM

Hattie Caraway

The description says "first female US Senator"

It's my opinion that it should be changed to "first elected female US Senator".

She wasn't the first woman to serve in the US Senate, that was Rebecca Felton in 1922. She only served 2 days and was appointed to the position, but technically, she was the first female US Senator.

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/women_senators.htm
http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=F000069
http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=C000138

Thanks for the consideration.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Aug 17 2014 07:50 AM

Australian legendary cricketer; first man knighted for services to the game

Your answer: Sir Donald Bradman

The "Sir" kind of gives it away!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 18 2014 04:55 AM

FitzRoy Somerset, First Baron Raglan
Your answer: British nobility; soldier; Field Marshal during the Crimean War
(could you make it any easier?)

Pope John Paul II (Karol Wojtyla)
Your answer: Polish cleric; former head of the Roman Catholic Church
(See above)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 18 2014 05:53 AM

Oh do give LT a break. She has to deal with a set of questions which will be used in games of varying difficulties without any indication in advance which questions will be used at what level - and some do have to be easy. On top of that she has to cater for a range of nationalities, some with a greater degree of ethnocentricity than others, and a range of topics, some of which (e.g. television shows/actors) aren't known worldwide.

So yes, the answers to some questions will seem obvious to everyone, that's what makes for an "easy" question, others will seem obvious to some but still obscure to others, that's where the percentages come into play. I'm pretty sure that almost everyone will know who the Pope was, but I bet you any money you like there are some Americans out there who don't know that 'Baron' is a title in the British nobility so whether they get that question right will partly depend on the other questions in the set. And without a heavy hint they're not going to get it at all. Raglan who? Crimean War? Field Marshal? WTH?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 18 2014 07:11 AM

Yah, all us Yankees know there warn't no Crimean War. They'all just voted to quit without a shot fired recently. It was on CNN.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 18 2014 04:52 PM

I am not giving instructions, just reporting as requested. There is no call to be so rude.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 18 2014 05:39 PM

Rude? How does one interpret "... there are some Americans out there who don't know that 'Baron' is a title in the British nobility...". You had no part in that view lonely-lady and that is what my post replied to. If you were insulted by my response to that intimation, well I just don't think sorry works to fix anything. Perhaps opining that no nationalistic pejoratives even begin is a better input? I thought letting it slide with a chuckle was a fair way to respond.

edit to remove reference to game Controller.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 18 2014 05:58 PM

I wasn't being rude either, at least not intentionally. Sorry if you took it that way, lonely-lady. And mehaul's response was a suitable chuckle at my tongue in cheek casting of aspersions on Americans' knowledge of British titles or the Crimean War - feel free to cast similar aspersions on my knowledge of the US Civil War, which is probably 1000 times better since I've been on FT. I even know the names of Robert E Lee's horses, well two of them anyway.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 18 2014 06:11 PM

(((group))) - Group hug!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 20 2014 06:12 AM

Madame de Stael
Your answer: Swiss female author; early 19th century European literary trendsetter

"Madame" Anne Louise Germaine de Staël was French born. "Madame" is not her name. I know of her because of her opposition to Bonepart.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 21 2014 09:54 AM

British comedian; film & TV actor
Your answer: Richard O'Sullivan
He was a child actor who successfully made it into adult acting. The original Robin Tripp in the 1970s sitcoms Man About the House and Robin's Nest.

and

US film & TV actress; Oscar-winning child star of the 70s; daughter of Ryan O'Neal; 'Paper Moon'
Your answer: Tatum O'Neal
answer given in question

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 22 2014 09:22 AM

The description for Jack Prelutsky includes his initials.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Aug 25 2014 01:51 PM

Scottish Queen who ascended to the throne when seven days old
Your answer: Mary I of Scotland

Also known as Mary Stuart, which would not hand it on a plate

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Tue Aug 26 2014 04:45 PM

Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster
Your answer: British nobility; UK's next richest landlord after Queen Elizabeth II

All the wrong answers were females! Also his title is given

Dame Gracie Fields
Your answer: English-Italian singer; stage, film & TV actress; comedienne; 'Sally' & 'Stage Door Canteen'

Although she lived in Italy she was not Italian

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Aug 27 2014 04:33 PM

Denny McLain

His description says in part "...last to win 30+ games in a season"

While that's true and likely never to be accomplished again, it still could be. Depending on the room you have maybe mentioning he was the last in the 20th century? Or prior to 2014? I don't know, but probably should be changed, so thought I'd point it out.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 28 2014 01:30 AM

This database is more fluid than quiz questions - I expect to have to make periodic changes to a number of entries. I will see if I can fit a more permanent description into my character limit, though.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Aug 28 2014 06:00 PM

Understood. thanks LT

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 29 2014 08:20 AM

I got Gerald Cavendish Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster and he was with all females again.
Posted by: paper_aero

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 29 2014 09:53 AM

"...he was with all females again."

Some people just have a knack for it

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 29 2014 10:15 AM

All the money and all the women. But is he happy? wink

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Aug 29 2014 04:45 PM

The selection algorithm has been unchanged since Terry set it up. There is often a mix of genders, sometimes a single one being different and sometimes an even balance. Players in the easy game appreciate getting such significant pointers sometimes. Sometimes the nationality and/or occupation isn't enough to make a quick decision.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 30 2014 12:59 PM

I do not play the Easy Game

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Aug 30 2014 07:45 PM

But all entries can appear in either game - they move around according to the percentage getting them correct, and possible other considerations - only Terry knows for sure!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Aug 31 2014 04:37 AM

I did not know that!

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Aug 31 2014 05:51 AM

American country music singer
Your answer: Skeeter Davis

I guessed right for a change, but a candidate for expansion?

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Aug 31 2014 09:57 AM

Mary Frances "Skeeter Davis" Penick may be a better posit since the "Skeeter Davis" part is only a nick name like "Captain Kangaroo".

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Sep 07 2014 12:26 PM

Arkle needs to be removed. He appeared in set 29 today.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Sep 07 2014 01:02 PM

I have tried to remove him before - when I enter his name in the box, his entry doesn't come up. It's still on the list to remove, but waiting for some technical assistance - Terry has more important things to do than investigate this minor glitch.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 11 2014 02:00 PM

English poet; novelist; 'Vitai Lampada' & 'Mordred'; initials are HN
Your answer: Henry Newbolt

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Sep 13 2014 10:21 AM

I've encountered Linda Nolan with the description "Irish singer, sings with the Nolans". There are two issues here: the family name is included in the description, and as far as my research stretches the group is no longer active. So maybe it has to be replaced with "former Irish singer" plus reference to one of their greatest hits.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Sep 13 2014 12:41 PM

I'm not sure she's a 'former' singer, she has worked a lot in musical theatre. How about "Irish singer; in successful group with several of her sisters" and leave the verb out of it. (That also gets you out of numbering the sisters as different sisters appeared at different times.)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Sep 17 2014 10:38 AM

Can I suggest a slightly more detailed description for Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel?

German mathematician; astronomer; known for his 'function'

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Sep 18 2014 02:57 AM

Adolph Zukor

The description says he's an "American film producer".

He was born in Hungary and moved to the USA at 16 years old. Shouldn't the description say "Hungarian-born American film producer"? If there's room, of course.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 19 2014 03:44 PM

The description for Giovanni Battista Cima is very sparse. Can I suggest:

Italian Renaissance painter of madonnas; 'Baptism of Christ'; 'Madonna of the Arbour'

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Sep 19 2014 09:08 PM

Updated this morning - I will add your second painting to the description.
Posted by: Juggernaut314

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 01 2014 09:11 PM

Maybe I'm missing the spirit of immortalizing someone I imagine was valued in the FT community, but even though the question was easy (considering the choices) this didn't really seem appropriate to me:

15. American FunTrivia chief Ed.; Bridgewater, NJ chief of detectives; Vietnam Vet; pilot; (1940-2003)
Your answer: Larry E. Worth Jr. (Gunslinger)

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Oct 01 2014 09:27 PM

Including Gunslinger seems more appropriate to me than many others who are included without complaint. I don't imagine I'm the only one who would hate to see his name removed.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 12 2014 04:37 PM

Henry Handel Richardson

The correct answer was Australian female author's pen name; wrote 'The Getting of Wisdom' (1910)

Pen name is not a real name.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Oct 17 2014 04:50 PM

American typist; commercial artist; inventor of Liquid Paper; mother of Mike Nesmith

Your answer: Bette Nesmith Graham

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sun Oct 19 2014 06:07 AM

American film & TV actress; Principal Secret cosmetics; Pam Ewing on 'Dallas'

Your answer: Victoria Principal
Posted by: Emma058

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Wed Nov 19 2014 02:41 PM

2. English football player; managed West Ham United 1961-197 & English national team 1977-1982

Your answer: Ron Greenwood

Peter Carl Goldmark = (Hungarian-born American engineer with CBS; inventor of the long playing record)
Christopher Plummer = (Canadian stage, film & TV actor; 'The Sound of Music')
Ron Greenwood = (English football player; managed West Ham United 1961-197 & English national team 1977-1982)
Jacques Tati = (French film actor; screenwriter; director; 'Mon Oncle' & 'Playtime')
Arthur Wellesley = (Anglo-Irish soldier; statesman; first Duke of Wellington)
Sir Harry Secombe = (Welsh singer; actor; comedian; former 'Goon')

The end date for 197 is missing.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 28 2014 04:29 PM

Zelda Fitzgerald
Your answer: American novelist; wife of F. Scott; 1920s icon

"wife of F. Scott" gives it away
Posted by: trident

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Nov 28 2014 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: lonely-lady
Zelda Fitzgerald
Your answer: American novelist; wife of F. Scott; 1920s icon

"wife of F. Scott" gives it away

Isn't that kind of the point? It doesn't list his last name so you have to have outside knowledge to answer the question.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Sat Nov 29 2014 12:49 AM

I plan to leave that one. You have to know who F. Scott is for it to be a giveaway, it's not as if it says wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald. What seems like a giveaway to one player, because of their knowledge base, may still be quite mysterious to another. And some may be looking for someone with the surname of Keyes.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Thu Dec 11 2014 10:17 PM

English female author; first novel ?Evelina? published in 1778
Your answer: Fanny Burney

Looks like those question marks should be quotes.

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Fri Dec 12 2014 04:44 PM

Christopher Eccleston
Your answer: English stage, film and TV actor; the 9th Dr. Who

The character that he played is "The Doctor"

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 15 2014 09:50 AM

Palestinian-American assassin of US Senator Robert F. Kennedy
Your answer: Sirhan B. Sirhan

He claims not to have done it

Re: Who Am I - Content Issues - Mon Dec 15 2014 11:55 AM