Google Chrome 23

Posted by: tellywellies

Google Chrome 23 - Tue Nov 06 2012 11:37 PM

Google Chrome 23 has been released. Here are the update details for those interested:

Chrome Releases: Stable Channel Release

Longer battery life and easier website permissions
Posted by: sue943

Re: Google Chrome 23 - Sat Nov 10 2012 01:13 PM

I have been fighting off Chrome, sticking with Firefox.
Posted by: flopsymopsy

Re: Google Chrome 23 - Sun Nov 11 2012 08:22 AM

I was a born again, prosletysing, Firefox user from the days before it was a fox and went by its true name of Firebird... but I'm afraid that it got clunky and slow and now I'm a Chromie. Which doesn't grab my heartstrings like Firefox did but is still sleek and fast and oh so much better for playing games on FT. What else would I need a browser for? wink

Re: Google Chrome 23 - Sun Nov 11 2012 10:13 AM

I was a long-term user of Firefox. Since it went under the name of 'Phoenix' (version 0.3) in fact. I have come to prefer Chrome these days though. I'll sometimes use IE9 because I think this is a pretty good browser as well. It's better regarding security than earlier versions were.

Some people worry about privacy issues with Google Chrome ..and Google in general come to that. If that is a worry, there are steps that can be taken. Use a different search engine and alter some settings in Chrome.

All in all Google Chrome is a good browser in my opinion. It includes Flash Player (this updates automatically as soon as new versions of Flash are released). It also incorporates a PDF reader. Chrome can even be set to be the default PDF reader for PDF files that are stored on your computer. No need to use Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader or other PDF readers if Google Chrome is installed. Plenty of extensions are available for Chrome too.

Chrome has a sandboxed structure. This can be a protection against drive-by malware (malware picked up inadvertently while browsing) getting onto the system.

About Chrome's sandbox:

http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/sandbox/Sandbox-FAQ
Posted by: sue943

Re: Google Chrome 23 - Sun Nov 11 2012 12:35 PM

Bring back Netscape! I used that from the very beginning, when there were no version numbers, back in 1994.

Re: Google Chrome 23 - Sun Nov 11 2012 12:43 PM

There is SeaMonkey, which is sort of like a modern day Netscape. It does have version numbers though. I think browser manufacturers have to keep updating browsers for security threat reasons as much as anything. There wasn't the number of security threats around back in the days of Netscape.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
Posted by: ladymacb29

Re: Google Chrome 23 - Sun Nov 11 2012 07:26 PM

I have a version of Netscape that I could run on a 3.5" floppy disk...
Posted by: dg_dave

Re: Google Chrome 23 - Sun Nov 11 2012 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ladymacb29
I have a version of Netscape that I could run on a 3.5" floppy disk...

That's a dinosaur version!

Re: Google Chrome 23 - Mon Nov 12 2012 01:18 AM

I used to like floppy disks. The drive immediately let you know it was working by making good mechanical noises when the disk was inserted and data was read. Now all we get is an icon in the System Tray and a dinging noise when a USB cable is plugged in. Just not the same somehow. smile

I haven't got a floppy disk drive on my present computer. I still have some floppy disks though. All very old software and files stored on them. They could really be thrown away.

I had an LS-120 drive for a while. The disks for that looked the same as 1.44MB floppies but were capable of storing 120MB of data.
Posted by: ga_jam831

Re: Google Chrome 23 - Sun Nov 18 2012 06:25 AM

I have some 10 inch floppies still in the cellophane somewhere around the house.